• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
This is what is blowing my mind. This is really not a big deal. But, locking threads because you don't like people complaining about it, while also communicating nothing, makes it into a bigger deal. Like, how the fuck ya'll handling such a minor thing so badly!?
I get that staff is probably discussing things behind closed doors and will say something, eventually, maybe in a week or two. But that's extremely frustrating for most people who won't have the mental energy to care about the issue when they're ready to say something about it.

It's an issue that's become common on Era where people are frustrated with the slow response times of mods on doing things because they have to discuss an action by committee before doing something, but will quickly action someone for showing frustration at either staff or a user breaking the rules.

It's like if Twitch chat mods had to hold a meeting for every action against a user while chat is being filled with ASCII penises, yet mods quickly ban the people frustrated by the inaction against the people posting ASCII penises.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mods said were done talking about it, so we must be done talking about it. i think mod communication needs to be better than a snarky post before you lock a thread.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Smh you people will never get over it or get used to it if you keep giving your logical and valid criticisms of how this forum is being run and how poorly such a simple thing has been handled.

We'll just keep getting threads locked till you all stop complaining!

/s

their attempts at silencing their users is making something so small become a major issue. Its really getting out of hand.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Maybe moderators, and admins should stop posting on what I'd assume is a staff discord about features, and issues with the site and bring it to the people who use your site to give feedback and provide some sort of back and forth with your community.

Why does every single issue that comes up have to be pushed by the community till we have 10 locked threads, like half a dozen banned members. Then we get a lackluster 12 page essay saying the same thing about how "staff made a mistake we will work on it, we're diverse I should make that clear"

Like seriously we can only go through this same loop so many times.

If not that why doesn't ERA just have it's own Discord.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
OK so let me get this straight:

- A polarizing new feature got suddenly added with no feedback from the community
- Said feature was not announced beforehand nor is there a way to disable it without scripts
- The only thread to discuss it in was confusingly titled "the f is this" even though mods could have easily changed the title at any time
- The thread was then locked because "it ran its course" despite getting no definitive staff communication on how the issue would be handled
- Any threads questioning this decision were instantly locked and people now have to use another random improperly marked thread to talk about it

Does the staff really not see how ridiculous this whole thing looks? Just give people a simple definitive statement on the matter in a clearly marked thread and let them discuss it.

I actually most like the tags and I agree with this post.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that people can block the tags (at least on desktop) by manually adding this filter to your AdBlock:

www.resetera.com##.js-trendingThreadItem.structItem--thread.structItem > .structItem-cell--main.structItem-cell > .structItem-title > .labelLink

Thanks this works in AdGuard on iOS also.

Just baffling and embarrassingly bad levels of communication from the staff on this.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is still ugly and needs an option to turn it off. The threads being closed to freeze feedback sucks, that original thread didn't "run its course".

Why the moderation here so frequently stumbles and makes issues out of things that don't need to be one is baffling. The silence doesn't help anyone when it's obvious this is all being secretly talked about, and threads about this get locked immediately with no reasoning.

Can't all threads in Gaming Hangouts be mass-assigned the OT tag? So weird how they're peppered throughout.

Pretty sure mods gotta do it themselves which is a ton of extra work. Same with users tagging things wrong.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big problem I have with the tag system is they're not defined enough. If I go to any news site and look at their tag list, I can specify exactly what I'm looking. For the forum, you don't necessary need multiple tags per thread, just better definition so not all news is clumped together. Nintendo News, Microsoft News, Sony News, General News, that would be fine. Sales tags should be JP Sales, NA Sales, EU Sales, WW Sales.

As it currently stands everything just gets clumped together which can become a pain down the line when looking for something specific.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The tags are awful, and the lack of communication from site staff has been very troubling.

Please do better.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there really still no update from the admin team addressing feedback?

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in the thread discussing tags predicted the lock coming from a mile away, and lo and behold... here we are.

DO BETTER

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I actually like the tags, I just think it felt weird seeing them pop up all of a sudden, considering previous updates have come along with a communication from the staff and that pop up messages at the top of the screen have been very common and quick ways to communicate something to the entire forum. A simple "We've heard your feedback about the latest feature and will prepare a statement and thread for proper discussion soon" would suffice.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how does this work for existing threads? Will this only work on threads that were created after the implementation? I can still see the Black Culture and Animal Crossing OT tags.

capture87kma.png

capture25dkwj.png
Ignoring feedback about rolling back the tags is one thing but what's up with ignoring what is an actual bug with the feature?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So how does this work for existing threads? Will this only work on threads that were created after the implementation? I can still see the Black Culture and Animal Crossing OT tags.

capture87kma.png

capture25dkwj.png

It's cause they used different OT tags for those specific threads that either are not a part of the ignore tags thing, or it's broken because they decided to duplicate the OT tag.

Big problem I have with the tag system is they're not defined enough. If I go to any news site and look at their tag list, I can specify exactly what I'm looking. For the forum, you don't necessary need multiple tags per thread, just better definition so not all news is clumped together. Nintendo News, Microsoft News, Sony News, General News, that would be fine. Sales tags should be JP Sales, NA Sales, EU Sales, WW Sales.

As it currently stands everything just gets clumped together which can become a pain down the line when looking for something specific.

Honestly don't even say News, just do Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo. Even better just use icons for it. Literally any other implementation would have been better.

Just checked that the padding on OT is wrong, and can I just question why OT has a different purple then News?

Last edited:

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the whole thing on Etcetera, and here I was thinking the small amount of comments in this thread was weird...

Echoing what others already said, the idea is good and the implementation could use a tweak or two, but the communication desperately needs to improve. No matter how nice it is to surprise users with a "Look at this neat new feature!", it'd be way better to pitch it to the community with an explanation of what you want to achieve in order to collect feedback. Basically what MochaKoffee said, just be transparent and openly talk to people about this stuff beforehand.

That way you both improve the implementation and avoid this whole mess born out of handling this innocuous thing so poorly.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's cause they used different OT tags for those specific threads that either are not a part of the ignore tags thing, or it's broken because they decided to duplicate the OT tag.

Honestly don't even say News, just do Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo. Even better just use icons for it. Literally any other implementation would have been better.

Just checked that the padding on OT is wrong, and can I just question why OT has a different purple then News?

That's a question, if you're going to spring a feature on people unannounced why not at least wait until it's working properly and the styles have been finalised rather than this half-assed implementation? I do web dev for a living and this is very much a WIP implementation that would be kept on a staging server.

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that people can block the tags (at least on desktop) by manually adding this filter to your AdBlock:

www.resetera.com##.js-trendingThreadItem.structItem--thread.structItem > .structItem-cell--main.structItem-cell > .structItem-title > .labelLink
This is very helpful for desktop. Not sure how to get it to work on mobile so I've ignored all threads with tags at the moment, but if there's a way to get it working on Safari on iOS it would be a really good temporary measure until the ability to hide them gets added.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get that staff is probably discussing things behind closed doors and will say something, eventually, maybe in a week or two. But that's extremely frustrating for most people who won't have the mental energy to care about the issue when they're ready to say something about it.

It shouldn't take a week to respond to people. Every hour that goes by with any word is honestly insanity.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ignoring feedback about rolling back the tags is one thing but what's up with ignoring what is an actual bug with the feature?
Ignoring bugs is what happens in this thread. Nobody came in here for over a month until I tagged an Admin in June about the bugs people were posting and then they were quickly addressed and fixed.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Even when I tagged DownUnderCoder I didn't want to because I didn't want to bother them. It just seemed like my only choice at the time and I was glad he did so much to help.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestions on the tag system are:

1) Let the users the ability to disable it
2) Have all unique colors for each tag (barely different shades of purple nearly defeats the purpose IMO)

I think if at the very least #2 can be implemented, I would be a happy camper.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I love how me saying, "I'll need to talk to the tech guys and see what we can do about any changes" has turned into all of this. People have day jobs, things to do.

Anyway, I just got off with the tech guys (who also have day jobs, just like everyone else who works for this site), and we made a visual adjustment on the test site. (As well as a few backend ones to really do this big)

This is a screenshot from mobile. The prefixes will need a little adjustment, but this is basically what we're thinking for them.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love how me saying, "I'll need to talk to the tech guys and see what we can do about any changes" has turned into all of this.
Yes you did, in a thread with a cryptic title posted by a random user instead of one posted here in Announcements posted by staff to let everyone know what was going on.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how me saying, "I'll need to talk to the tech guys and see what we can do about any changes" has turned into all of this. People have day jobs, things to do.
You didnt post that here, but instead in a thread that has a tag and isnt viewable by many of us because the only site option to get rid of tags is to block threads altogether. What do you expect when you dont communicate effectively?

Will there be an option to remove the tags without blocking threads? Will we be able to block ALL, not most, of the tags using the site option. Are those possibilities even being discussed?

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Just adding another voice to say I don't like the look of the tags, and I preferred the way the site looked before the update that added them in.

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow

Anyway, I just got off with the tech guys (who also have day jobs, just like everyone else who works for this site), and we made a visual adjustment on the test site. (As well as a few backend ones to really do this big)
Will there be an option to disable it, yes or no?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, most of the frustration comes from the absolute lack of transparency and unwillingness to give any answers to anyone asking questions. You still haven't even provided an official place for people to discuss and give feedback on this new feature, staff quietly locked any threads about it earlier today with no explanation given, and no one, literally no one, on staff even pointed anyone to this thread.

You and the staff are giving off the impression that you don't want anyone to talk about this, or even to learn about it, because you have given no official statements for everyone to see about this anywhere and are actively shutting down any threads made about it without explanation. It's really just part of a larger pattern at this point, as others have mentioned, and since there is no general feedback thread, people keep these thoughts and feelings about the staff and how they do things bottled up until they finally get a moment where it's allowed somewhere and it all blows up into something like this.

If you can't understand those feelings, then you are out of touch with the community. It's as simple as that.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

This is a screenshot from mobile. The prefixes will need a little adjustment, but this is basically what we're thinking for them.
That still doesn't look good though. The choice of colors and different gradients makes like no sense. What is the purpose of this? People are upset/confused because no one knows why this happened and why our feedback is being silenced.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, the work is appreciated, thanks for that. But shutting down discussion without explanation or pointing at places for people to talk is a bad approach, no matter how you look at it. It'd be interesting to hear if the administration would be willing to preview new features with members before implementing them, since a lot of folks want more transparency and spaces for feedback.

Anyways, the placement does look better now. Will you consider an option to turn these off, or maybe change the used colors?

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Just adding another voice of support for the ability to turn tags off. I know the tech guys have day jobs and their work is appreciated, but I'm sure they would agree that giving options is a good feature.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

These look better. I understand you guys have jobs, but what exactly would be so bad about having a pinned announcement thread announcing the tags, the reason for the tags, and a place to discuss them? Staff is able to do that easily for small stuff like "Game of the Decade" but why the silence for stuff that affects the actual usage of the site? Locking any threads discussing them looks really bad and I thought transparency was something that was being worked on among the staff. Not to mention that this isn't the first time staff has implemented forum changes without a place to discuss them. Even just a pinned mod post in the original thread saying "hey we're consulting the tech team at the moment for changes, sit tight!" Would clear most of the grievances, since people most likely missed your post in the thread (and it's locked so now no one will see it).

I don't even mind the tags at this point, but it's easy to see why people are upset.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if it has been long enough, but I still really dislike the tags and would love to be able to turn them off :(

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Day jobs are perfectly understandable, and no one expects site admins/tech admins to be running an enthusiast site 24/7 without decent return on it to not be doing day jobs. However, and this is so obvious of a response it boggles me you didn't think it when you typed your reply, that doesn't excuse the lack of communication from a rather impactful UI change. This isn't just some logo rotation change or renaming of a button, this is actually affecting readability of the place in which it is key to read the content. To not have even bothered with options or announcements making it clear what was happening speaks further on the recent trend of ResetERA changes for the sake of changes without community interaction.

Transparency doesn't seem to be a strong point at the moment with design and structure to the forums, however it can be accommodated by literally posting a thread discussing said changes before or as they are introduced. The fact that we are discussing this in a thread over a year old just speaks to that lack of communication.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Where did you say that? in some locked thread? Because I've only been here so I have no idea what you're talking about.

This still looks awful. It fixes the spacing, but the use of colour, especially the purple within the thread titles, looks terrible (and purple is even my favourite colour). Just having it simple like the post below is so much better

Yup, I think the most logical place (on desktop at least) would be before the author/last reply text.

After putting on my designer hat and thinking on it some more, I think the big issue is that with the exception of avatars, the main thread listing is almost entirely text based while the background color/inverted text of the design makes it look like a button that stands out completely from the rest of the design. Quick hack to show what I mean:
HBy4KjQ.png

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Cross posting:

I like the idea but the design needs work. The gradient on "OT" especially looks cheap and distracting. I think it's best to stick with a solid colors. I think the rounded boxes look cheap too and reminiscent of old-school, low-budget forums, but I'm guessing it's a xenforo default. If there's a way to update them to a more "Material" design, it would help a lot.

The updated mobile placement looks a lot better. I hope it's getting repositioned on desktop too.