• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
This is an oversight as opposed to a bug, but staff posts that are posted as thread replies, at least for regular users, appear at the very bottom of thread pages and have no corresponding threadmark or staff post tag, making them very easy to miss, especially in volatile topics.

erathread9jk9k.jpg

I like the idea of page-independent staff posts, but I'd recommend that you move the thread reply div to the top of the thread page template, and, since only mods/admins can post thread replies, have such posts tagged as staff posts by default, if possible.

Last edited:

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's a bug, but if I have HDR turned on (Win10), whenever I hover over the main page categories, black boxes appear where the images appear on the categories (Gaming Forum, Gaming Hangout, etc...). The black boxes appear by order, for example, Hover Gaming forum -> Black boxes appear on all categories, Hover EtcetEra From -> Anything After Black Boxes appear and anything before, no issue.

Happens using Chrome/Edge. Firefox seems fine. If I turned off HDR, it doesn't happen.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I wasn't sure where else I should. Whenever I try to play an embedded tweet with video I get this:

EPdAl4v.png

This seems to only be an issue in Chrome since I tried it in Edge and I'm not having any trouble there. Anyone know what's up? Is it something on my end?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For a while I was getting that a lot on Firefox and then it "fixed" itself for the most part. I'll sometimes get that in one thread and then later it works fine in another. It's weird.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not only with the message box scroll jumping and playback/content loading issues with twitter or instagram, but I've been getting a lot of login problems with firefox on mobile, having myself logged out or saying my cookies need to be enabled etc. when they already are.

Also recently got this:
screenshot_20200604_184127_firefox_by_meibatsu_ddyqhwl-pre.jpg

What's going on?

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whats going on with twitch embeds?

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I wasn't sure where else I should. Whenever I try to play an embedded tweet with video I get this:

EPdAl4v.png

This seems to only be an issue in Chrome since I tried it in Edge and I'm not having any trouble there. Anyone know what's up? Is it something on my end?
still happens in firefox

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
Something that has been happening regularly for a few days now (since last week maybe?): I'm getting logged out of the forum. Usually happens when I come back to an open tab but as soon as I click to to go back to the thread list I'll be logged out (goes from dark to light theme so boy do I notice!). I've noticed it across platforms, iOS/iPad and Mac for sure, and I seem to recall it happening on my Windows PC as well.

If this is just a one time per device thing I'm running into across each platform as I use it no problem but I thought I'd ask.

(note: signing in works fine, not issues or announcements about failed logins or anything like that).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Two issues I've been having for a long time... Not sure if they are by design or actual bugs... On Windows using the latest version of Firefox.

1-Whenever I insert an image in a post, the image will always automatically go to the very top of the message no matter where my cursor was when I clicked on the "Insert Image" button. I then always have to drag the image down to where I actually want it in the message.

2-If I highlight some text and then click on the Hyperlink button to make it a link. When I click on the Insert button after putting in the URL, instead of transforming the selected text into a link to that URL, it will actually create a new copy of that selected text on the following line as a link. So I then have to manually hit backspace a bunch of time to erase the text I had previously select to replace it with the newly created link.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Two issues I've been having for a long time... Not sure if they are by design or actual bugs... On Windows using the latest version of Firefox.

1-Whenever I insert an image in a post, the image will always automatically go to the very top of the message no matter where my cursor was when I clicked on the "Insert Image" button. I then always have to drag the image down to where I actually want it in the message.

2-If I highlight some text and then click on the Hyperlink button to make it a link. When I click on the Insert button after putting in the URL, instead of transforming the selected text into a link to that URL, it will actually create a new copy of that selected text on the following line as a link. So I then have to manually hit backspace a bunch of time to erase the text I had previously select to replace it with the newly created link.
FYI I'm using FF on Windows and I don't have either of these issues.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Question: Would it be possible to add an option to hide (i.e. temporarily ignore) threads (or even posts) based on whether they contain certain text strings? Over the past few weeks I've just been manually ignoring every thread popping up about The Last of Us 2, but not only have these been increasing in number lately (as expected) but there have also been a few instances of certain details being written write in the thread title itself, and I would have rather not known about them. It'd be great if there was an option in the user control panel where you could add any number of strings that can be used when querying threads to suppress any threads (or even posts, if possible) about topics that the user doesn't want to see.

And apologies if this has already been requested/denied, I haven't read through this thread yet. Or if there's another place I should be asking this, please let me know and I'll edit my post here. Thanks

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Question: Would it be possible to add an option to hide (i.e. temporarily ignore) threads (or even posts) based on whether they contain certain text strings? Over the past few weeks I've just been manually ignoring every thread popping up about The Last of Us 2, but not only have these been increasing in number lately (as expected) but there have also been a few instances of certain details being written write in the thread title itself, and I would have rather not known about them. It'd be great if there was an option in the user control panel where you could add any number of strings that can be used when querying threads to suppress any threads (or even posts, if possible) about topics that the user doesn't want to see.

And apologies if this has already been requested/denied, I haven't read through this thread yet. Or if there's another place I should be asking this, please let me know and I'll edit my post here. Thanks
Use this.

www.resetera.com

By popular demand...the return of Hide Forum Threads!

Ever get tired of all those uninteresting threads clogging up your Resetera screen? I certainly do, and I always wished there was a way to get rid of the threads I don't care about and only see the ones that are new or interest me. So I wrote a script to do it. To hide a thread, look for the...

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
As of a few days ago I've noticed that any Youtube videos embedded don't show the name of the video as they used to. Using Firefox, even with all extensions disabled it's still the same. Not sure if it's a problem with the way they are embedded, something YT has changed, a Firefox update or something else.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As of a few days ago I've noticed that any Youtube videos embedded don't show the name of the video as they used to. Using Firefox, even with all extensions disabled it's still the same. Not sure if it's a problem with the way they are embedded, something YT has changed, a Firefox update or something else.
Noticed this too
It's a problem with videos where the uploader has disabled embeds as you're no longer able to refresh the page and click the title to view on YouTube. Now, you have to right-click in the brief moment between clicking play and receiving the "Video Unavailable" message to grab the URL (better consistency than trying to click the title).

Very annoying.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed this too
It's a problem with videos where the uploader has disabled embeds as you're no longer able to refresh the page and click the title to view on YouTube. Now, you have to right-click in the brief moment between clicking play and receiving the "Video Unavailable" message to grab the URL (better consistency than trying to click the title).

Very annoying.

It seems to be an Era problem as on other forums I still get the titles.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
DownUnderCoder if you're not busy it would be nice if we got an idea if some of the issues posted in the past month could be addressed. If you are then please ask someone else. Thanks.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
I keep getting the "We value your privacy" nonsense each time I click on something on the site now. Won't go away whenever I click on "continue to site".

2020-06-13.png
You are likely blocking cookies, so it can't store that you've seen the EU cookie notice thing.

Noticed this too

Very annoying.
We enabled a lightweight placeholder option which doesn't appear to show that information. Should be disabled now.

This happening for anyone else?
ObKGofa.png
Clear browser cache, and do a full-restart of the browser. You may also have your ad-blocker blocking fonts, which will break formatting.

whats going on with twitch embeds?
Twitch changed how embeds work, I recently pushed an update to the embeds framework we use. Is it better now?

This is an oversight as opposed to a bug, but staff posts that are posted as thread replies, at least for regular users, appear at the very bottom of thread pages and have no corresponding threadmark or staff post tag, making them very easy to miss, especially in volatile topics.

erathread9jk9k.jpg

I like the idea of page-independent staff posts, but I'd recommend that you move the thread reply div to the top of the thread page template, and, since only mods/admins can post thread replies, have such posts tagged as staff posts by default, if possible.
By design, the thread reply banner isn't a post. It is part of the toolkit for moderators to use, and that is more of a policy question than technical.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thank you. Nice to see YT embeds have the title again so we can easily open them in YT when needed.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We enabled a lightweight placeholder option which doesn't appear to show that information. Should be disabled now.

Clear browser cache, and do a full-restart of the browser. You may also have your ad-blocker blocking fonts, which will break formatting.
Twitch changed how embeds work, I recently pushed an update to the embeds framework we use. Is it better now?
Both seem to be working fine now
Thanks!

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DownUnderCoder Would it be possible to pull threads from subsequent pages when using the ignore function so that you aren't left with just a handful of threads on the first page?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue why but I can't scroll on tweets that are embedded into post. So when the screen is filled with them I have to find the small corner on the side to scroll. On a Samsung s20+ using chrome.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Web console error on loading the page:
?cr=1&wp=540:22

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Requiring unknown module "17825792".
at u (?cr=1&wp=540:22)
at c (?cr=1&wp=540:22)
at i (?cr=1&wp=540:22)
at r (?cr=1&wp=540:22)
at 7f84b8faffdc.js:123
And when trying to embed a tweet:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.
core-compiled.js?_v=b1fb2673:1

PHP: <html>
<head><title>500 Internal Server Error</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Web console error on loading the page:

And when trying to embed a tweet:
You caught the media bb-code stuff being updated which threw some errors briefly. Please try again.

Thank you. Nice to see YT embeds have the title again so we can easily open them in YT when needed.
Can you check again? I've recently deployed an update which should add a clickable title when the placeholder behaviour is enabled.

DownUnderCoder Would it be possible to pull threads from subsequent pages when using the ignore function so that you aren't left with just a handful of threads on the first page?
No, the platform doesn't support that. The ignore feature is applied after the results are fetched.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
You caught the media bb-code stuff being updated which threw some errors briefly. Please try again.

Can you check again? I've recently deployed an update which should add a clickable title when the placeholder behaviour is enabled.

No, the platform doesn't support that. The ignore feature is applied after the results are fetched.
The error "requiring unknown module" still shows on page load (this could just be a Brave browser thing), but the twitter embed popup seems to work.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Beginning yesterday but primarily today, I'm getting a very large amount of 520, 525 and even a 524 error for ResetEra.

Any idea why? It basically happens half or more of the time when I navigate. I refresh once in a while and every 3 refreshes it'll reach the site and load.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Double post because connection is weirding out on me

I tried using my T-mobile LTE on my phone and the errors are still appearing, so it's separate from my network connection

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Beginning yesterday but primarily today, I'm getting a very large amount of 520, 525 and even a 524 error for ResetEra.

Any idea why? It basically happens half or more of the time when I navigate. I refresh once in a while and every 3 refreshes it'll reach the site and load.
Same here, site has been very slow for me since yesterday as well

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018

There has been unexpected degraded performance of a server Resetera uses, I thought we had migrated it enough but apparently not :(

:edit: It looks like a new configuration option was causing very unexpected performance issues.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to disable the "There's been new messages since last time your refreshed" banner? Especially on mobile... I'm having a really difficult time typing messages at times on my phone because the page keeps scrolling non stop moving me out of the text box...

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Maybe this is known, but does anyone else always have issues with typing on ios on the forum? I'm always having issues like my letters randomly capitalizing, or randomly forced double spaces, and trying to separate in paragraphs can be a nightmare.

It did not use to be this way. And maybe this is known. I haven't read the thread. Hell, maybe I'm not even allowed to post here? I have no clue.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
DownUnderCoder I don't know if it's just you running the show or someone on the team, but my thanks for changing the two factor authentication input to the number pad from the full keyboard on mobile. It may be small, but it affected me a lot so I appreciate it.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is known, but does anyone else always have issues with typing on ios on the forum? I'm always having issues like my letters randomly capitalizing, or randomly forced double spaces, and trying to separate in paragraphs can be a nightmare.

It did not use to be this way. And maybe this is known. I haven't read the thread. Hell, maybe I'm not even allowed to post here? I have no clue.
Yeah I have this too, been like it for a while now but wasn't always that way.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah chiming in to say that I can't remove it anymore either. Thankfully it still takes into accountability my ignored boards/threads so it's not anxiety inducing or anything, but I'd still like to clear up some clutter

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Was coming here to post this. On IOS Safari, main page, the right side bar where they show visitor, last threads cannot be hidden, or cannot find the way to do it.
I just tried on my phone with Safari and tapping the 3 dots opens it and tapping to the left of it closes it without problem. Same with the left menu tapping the three lines.

yTKSBmD.gif

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried on my phone with Safari and tapping the 3 dots opens it and tapping to the left of it closes it without problem. Same with the left menu tapping the three lines.

yTKSBmD.gif

Forgot to specify im on Ipad. Not getting this problem with iphone. Ipad it stay there and there is no 3 dots.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to specify im on Ipad. Not getting this problem with iphone. Ipad it stay there and there is no 3 dots.
On screens that are wide enough to support the sidebar, the toggle has been removed to ensure latest threads and other stats are easily prompted by default. This should only affect the homepage on appropriate displays, and yeah we made sure it'll respect all ignored threads/forums.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
On screens that are wide enough to support the sidebar, the toggle has been removed to ensure latest threads and other stats are easily prompted by default. This should only affect the homepage on appropriate displays, and yeah we made sure it'll respect all ignored threads/forums.

Um why remove the choice to auto-hide it? It just doesn't look clean and it's not how I parse the forums anyways so I always liked the fact that I could collapse this.

Perhaps allow a compromise by placing the toggle in preferences? Something...