• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should ResetEra let you "like" posts?

• I "LIKE" that idea!

Votes: 264 37.8%
  • I do not "LIKE" that idea!

Votes: 434 62.2%

• Total voters

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A large number of posts don't actually add anything to the discussion at hand anyway. No worst that posts that are simply

"This"
"."
*reaction gif*
*overused meme image*

Or any of the other thoughtless, effortless posts we see in every thread.
There's the opportunity for more there, and it also makes the thread more visible by bumping it.

The difference is profound.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, dogpilling on this site is already a thing that's bad enough stuff like this whilst well intentioned will only end one way. It's already bad enough being of a minority opinion (for example criticising Sony for not attending PAX) adding a likes feature will only make people feel more ostracised if they're only getting 2/3 likes in comparison to people who disagree with them getting dozens and dozens.

It's terrible.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
e79.jpg

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's the opportunity for more there, and it also makes the thread more visible by bumping it.

The difference is profound.

I'm not in favour of the idea, I just don't agree that it would reduce discussion, or that the absence of it encourages discussion. People who have nothing to say aren't going to start writing anything of value because they can't click a like button.

Oct 25, 2017
Every forum I've seen with this feature is absolute trash-tier. If you want to see this place be full of YouTube comment hot take bullshit and devoid of anything resembling "discussion", then sure, add that feature.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer 30 page threads quoting the first post with "one and done"

I think this is the best point in this thread. Nothing clutters and hurts discussion like the same post being quoted a ton of times with non substantive filler like "This".

A like system would solve that. It would also probably help posters with self-awareness and may curb some of the negative posting qualities out there.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, please. The less things the better in a forum. It should just be a name, avatar, and the ability to post. Every other feature *cough* titles *cough* just adds a bunch of unnecessary meta things to argue about.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't instagram considering getting rid of likes because they are destroying society?

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like entrapment. What if someone likes a post that is later deemed problematic or trolling? Does everyone that likes the post get banned? Some real NARC shit going on here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think there should be a subforum where theres a thread for every member on the site and everyone can post nice messages about them for everyone to see, and also my thread should be stickied

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I think this is the best point in this thread. Nothing clutters and hurts discussion like the same post being quoted a ton of times with non substantive filler like "This".

A like system would solve that. It would also probably help posters with self-awareness and may curb some of the negative posting qualities out there.
Nah, it'd rear its head as a signal boosting and discussion-shifting tool for people looking to express their vile crap. It'd be a very effective legitimizing tool for troll accounts.

Are there some cases where it'd be a benefit? Sure, I guess. But I don't think it's worth the kind of shit it would invite.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, that's why all other social media platforms with likes are a utopia of self awareness and positivity and not the exact opposite.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
these are the things i fight for
www.resetera.com

Give me animated avatars or give me death

DEAR MODERATORS I come here today in a place of public forum to propose that users be allowed to use animated avatars. MY DEMANDS AND RESPECTFUL OUTLINES ARE AS FOLLOWS. 1. ALLOW ALL USERS TO USE ANIMATED AVATARS FOR THEIR PROFILE PICTURE. 2. THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT. 3. IF DEMANDS ARE TO...
www.resetera.com

Lets bring back forum signatures

Forum signatures were fukcing awesome. What happened? Why did everyone stop using them? How else are you supposed to get of my personality? I don't understand. Bring 'em back! livin' it sick nasty since 1996! game on!!!

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
No, one of the best parts of this forum is there's no likes/upvotes. We don't need a big circlejerk over a few posts or people shilling for likes.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I wouldn't mind a post-liking features (upvotes/downvotes), but I wouldn't want them to influence the buoyancy or visibility of threads like on reddit. I much prefer the traditional forum layout where responses are chronological and threads are bumped to the top whenever a replay is made.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
1ce0739b4e6b28571ece81926238b531.jpg

Cannot support this idea because it invites a lot of passive discussion (marking a post instead of posting yourself) and also dogpiling. It's asking for every post to be a 'Yes/No/Thor 2: The Dark World' poll.

what if instead of a like button, we add a "Thor 2: The Dark World" button to every post? That way if we like a post we can vote for thor the dark world instead.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a terrible idea that encourages mob mentality shit posting to get likes, without anybody putting skin in the game to explain why they like or dislike something. It'd contribute to a worse environment.

If someone writes something you like, quote the post and add to it about how you like it. Put it into words.

Also I just know how hurt I'd be if I wrote some novel and someone replied with a zinger that missed the point but made me look dumb and it got 1,000 likes, while my original novel has like 3 likes from the same 3 people that tolerate my novels. I'd cry
+1 to this 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍
Like if anybody else agrees with me.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Since the point of the board is to foster discussion, quoting the post and complimenting or explaining why you found it useful/cool is probably the best route.

As it is right now, this is not what is happening though, is it? Right now there's a bunch of posts that basically state "I like what you said" without furthering or adding anything to the discussion or even worse the opposite.
And to curb at least one side of that in a like button, that does not have to be overly visible if there are legitimate concerns about abuse, would make reading threads a bit easier for me.
The other side, that would likely need a lot of ressources in additional moderators - stricter moderation of posts to me would be even better, but I think a way to like a post without having to make a post solely about that would be an improvement in average quality of a post.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I can see some upsides to this but after some problematic posts got a significant amount of positive feedback, I think we'd all see why that feature doesn't exist here.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys.
Just thought I'd pop in to say that you're all amazing and whatever your current favourite thing is it's also my favourite too!

Oct 26, 2017
No, it encourages shitty posting habits. People post what they think will accrue the most likes and that's usually low effort drive-by humor.
I like an amusing post as much as the next person but when everybody's piling on it's obnoxious.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
As it is right now, this is not what is happening though, is it? Right now there's a bunch of posts that basically state "I like what you said" without furthering or adding anything to the discussion or even worse the opposite.

That's still discussion and still way more substance than a like button. The choice of hitting a like button and actually taking time (even a couple seconds) to write a sentence is a lot.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not, people are so addicted with likes, and anticipating notifications. Let go of that, it's no good for you.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in favour of the idea, I just don't agree that it would reduce discussion, or that the absence of it encourages discussion. People who have nothing to say aren't going to start writing anything of value because they can't click a like button.
I think if sometimes you say an unpopular opinion that might "threaten" a game's hype... or a more serious case, it might be "let's not jump the gun" on defending or ripping apart a celebrity who may not have done or may have. Some people might or subconsciously think they're not welcome if these contrarian or less sensational opinions don't get as many likes.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
That's still discussion and still way more substance than a like button. The choice of hitting a like button and actually taking time (even a couple seconds) to write a sentence is a lot.

How is that a discussion? What new points are raised or confirmed by writing "Yes, I agree" instead of clicking like? In the one Forum I frequent that has a like button (skyscrapercity), it seems to work well without any pitfalls.