• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's amazing to me that this is something that has already been said multiple times, when there was an obvious banner pointing at the thread with like... 5 words in it. "Oh, I just dismiss those immediately because there's a new one like every three months and it's always some stupid shit", you're an adult, if you can't read and digest 5 words, you're a lost cause and no amount of pins around the forum would ever make a difference.

Like some of the stuff about the banner was just fucking nuts.
Time to replace alert banners with full screen notices that can't be dismissed until you re-type the whole notice yourself so you can't say you didn't notice it. 😉

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing to me that this is something that has already been said multiple times, when there was an obvious banner pointing at the thread with like... 5 words in it. "Oh, I just dismiss those immediately because there's a new one like every three months and it's always some stupid shit", you're an adult, if you can't read and digest 5 words, you're a lost cause and no amount of pins around the forum would ever make a difference.

My favorite one was when someone tried to argue the word "update" was obfuscating the sale because update could have technically referred to different kinds of changes, and apparently it's the mods fault for miswording it in order to get less eyeballs on it. Lol.

It's one of the dozens of ways it's clear they really are making this shit up. We'll probably have a new one by the next page, within the next 3 pages at least. Wanna take bets on whats gonna be next? We already someone making ties to the swedish mafia and pontential insider trading. If this were a more religious board, I'd say the next one might be the mods making blood sacrifices to satan, but we're largley atheist/agnostic. Oh, I know, how about the Mods selling deleted members accounts for a profit to alt-right figures? Yeah, they reactivate them, and let them wear the digital corpse of members who left on a moral highground in order to mock them. That's plenty dramatic and evil.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
"Tell me the truth"
"Okay here's the truth"
"I don't trust you, tell me something else"

No one wins

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My favorite one was when someone tried to argue the word "update" was obfuscating the sale because update could have technically referred to different kinds of changes, and apparently it's the mods fault for miswording it in order to get less eyeballs on it. Lol.

It's one of the dozens of ways it's clear they really are making this shit up. We'll probably have a new one by the next page, within the next 3 pages at least. Wanna take bets on whats gonna be next? We already someone making ties to the swedish mafia and pontential insider trading. If this were a more religious board, I'd say the next one might be the mods making blood sacrifices to satan, but we're largley atheist/agnostic. Oh, I know, how about the Mods selling deleted members accounts for a profit to alt-right figures? Yeah, they reactivate them, and let them wear the digital corpse of members who left on a moral highground in order to mock them. That's plenty dramatic and evil.
Does the EU law allow the selling of non-EU member data? lol

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone put this dumpster fire of a thread out of its misery already? What's it gonna take?
The user you quoted has already been banned for lashing out at other users so I'm not sure what that would accomplish. The mods are stuck between a rock and a hard place and locking the thread would only exacerbate the issues.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did that one guy (Seik? Sorry, I can't find his name) ever get his thread making prevliges back? Honestly he shouldn't have gotten them taken away in the first place and his thread shouldn't have gotten closed. From what I see there are absolutely no rules that state you can't post about this in other parts of the forum. That's abusing mod powers unless I'm missing something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I know, how about the Mods selling deleted members accounts for a profit to alt-right figures? Yeah, they reactivate them, and let them wear the digital corpse of members who left on a moral highground in order to mock them. That's plenty dramatic and evil.

What the fuck, is this real?????

Mods... you have some explaining to do.... it only takes me 12 microseconds to unsheathe this high-quality authentic katana I got from Japanese Amazon so you better make it quick...

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Pinned threads almost always have the exact opposite effect that users think they do. Time and time again when staff has pinned a thread for whatever the given reason is the thread participation in said threads almost always universally drops. Many users have also said numerous times in the past that they automatically always ignore pinned threads and skip right past them.

My Resetera Thread of The Month contest threads from early this year would know too 😢

I like pinned threads, as staff I always enjoyed the feature too, but sadly in most cases it only harms and doesn't help to bring any more awareness to a particular cause or issue, usually just the opposite.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Did that one guy (Seik? Sorry, I can't find his name) ever get his thread making prevliges back? Honestly he shouldn't have gotten them taken away in the first place and his thread shouldn't have gotten closed. From what I see there are absolutely no rules that state you can't post about this in other parts of the forum. That's abusing mod powers unless I'm missing something.
I think "meta" threads and discussions about the site aren't allowed. That's why they have the threads that comprise the Announcements section.

Are you talking about the thread that had a massive OP summing up what's taken place in this thread? Cause I thought that was really helpful, this thread is way too fast and tense.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

It appears they requested their account be deleted.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pinned threads almost always have the exact opposite effect that users think they do. Time and time again when staff has pinned a thread for whatever the given reason is the thread participation in said threads almost always universally drops. Many users have also said numerous times in the past that they automatically always ignore pinned threads and skip right past them.

My Resetera Thread of The Month contest threads from early this year would know too 😢

I like pinned threads, as staff I always enjoyed the feature too, but sadly in most cases it only harms and doesn't help to bring any more awareness to a particular cause or issue, usually just the opposite.

Interestingly anecdotally my horror thread seemed to get more traction in voting after being pinned. I assumed it was because of that, I guess you could argue It was because voting time was getting shorter but I'm not sure. I appreciated it being pinned regardless.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Pinned threads also don't show up for people like me who only goes to my watched list and latest threads list. If I didn't care to interact with a thread the first time I see it after it's created (whether right away or hours/day later) then it might as well not exist for me. Latest threads is also how I know people don't know how to use the site's search function properly. Search by title should be the default because that's the most useful. I think duplicate threads are the only things I usually report.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Time to replace alert banners with full screen notices that can't be dismissed until you re-type the whole notice yourself so you can't say you didn't notice it. 😉

You won't be able to dismiss those until you've watched a 15 second pop up ad for Blizzard's games.
Then you can type…oh wait…another ad!

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this a real phenomenon. We always called it "sticky blindness". Happens to me all the time. With the same threads always in the same place it becomes visual noise you're conditioned to skim past and then it's really easy to miss when something new gets pinned.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly anecdotally my horror thread seemed to get more traction in voting after being pinned. I assumed it was because of that, I guess you could argue It was because voting time was getting shorter but I'm not sure. I appreciated it being pinned regardless.

I absolutely love when pin threads work, made me very happy as a staff member to pin a thread and see the thread get a lot more love and support then it had from before it was pinned. It's small things like that that make you proud and happy to help a community on era as staff. Just unfortunately, your thread and others like it are the rare exceptions. The majority of threads that get pinned effectively are sent to die.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of them are no longer here or active. Dealing with accusations of shilling and such, that formally became part of moderation oversight later on.

But since the beginning of the site people have freely trafficked in misinformation about developers in particular, but also moderators (like I mentioned about the pay) and other members. To this day, misinformation is a willful part of this site's culture. As evidence of this, just read what people assume and say about each other in this thread alone.

As for moderation and fostering community, a group of community representatives and representatives from marginalized or underserved groups was supposed to understand the various communities and their concerns, to help foster a healthy community for everyone. What happened instead is off-topic to the thread, so I'm not going to go into all that except to say that led by constant streams of misinformation and vitriol, the initiative went sideways.

Today there seems to be an intolerance of community or member frustration lest any possible vitriol risks making its way to staff to have to deal with. On the community end, race and identity discussions in general are far from what they should be on day 1400 or so, and discussions on mental health and accessibility/ability concerns are frankly still abysmally stuck on day zero. Gaming-side continues to blow up at anyone connected to the game industry at all, or anyone mentioning one console maker without mentioning the other two and pc and every other platform and storefront in at least equal and opposite measure.

And yet despite this up-is-down state, the community still clings to the infallible right to taunt with and sling misinformation - sometimes amplified by the shitflinging (again, right here in this thread), sometimes by vitriol towards developers over something simple like missing a release date, and sometimes by the absolutism exhibited towards social causes (even if on the right side of a cause) that leads to bullying of other members.

So IMO misinformation remains THE core value of the site, despite people out there wanting better (as evidenced by some long-form posts in this thread by both members and staff). Being angry and upset is considered by staff to be members contributing only vitriol, and only misinformation about staff is considered truth by the community. This dyad of absolutism, born from the heat-death of the community initiative, creates the latent vibrations of unease you feel as you move through the threads of the site today. ResetEra's own cosmic misinformation background.

Good post, thank you for the reply

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
You can skip from around 96 to 117. It's the filler arc.
That was a rough ride with a tag storm in it.

Few thoughts from insignificant me.
I wish the owner good luck and enjoy the money as he sees fit. He didn't do anything wrong (at least there is no evidence or testimony to it) so for me he is in the clear. The people that worked for/with him confirm he is a good guy and we do want good things to happen to good people, don't we?

I do not know what is in store for resetera from the new owners so i ll wait and see but it is positive that it is an EU company subject to EU laws so i worry less about leaks of my personal data. Truth is that the other forum sites they own have an, at least, problematic culture.

After all these years, mostly lurking here, there and at the old place i understand that moderating is a hard and thankless service. We are people and as such we do make mistakes, we get sentimental, we sometimes act without thinking, we think that we can't be wrong and we fail. Maybe, and i speak mostly for myself but please hear me out, we need to think better before we post, weight the situation, use objectivity and common sense and sometimes forgive. When the members don't they get banned or kicked, when the moderators fail, they lose members or communities.
We need to be better. We have to be fucking nicer to each other.
Whether do this here or in some other place, we have to not act like dicks to people.
And we have to own our mistakes, understand them and try not to repeat them again.

As far as the argument about moderation compensation, if the mods want to get paid or not it is their business and their business only, and noone else.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

There's definitely no easy way to handle it just due to how everyone browses differently and looks at different things. I said it earlier in the thread, but it's pretty unlikely that I'd see either the announcements at the top of the page or pinned threads. So pretty much the only thing that would make sure I see it is outright auto-watching and I don't think literally anyone else would enjoy that, hah.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely no easy way to handle it just due to how everyone browses differently and looks at different things. I said it earlier in the thread, but it's pretty unlikely that I'd see either the announcements at the top of the page or pinned threads. So pretty much the only thing that would make sure I see it is outright auto-watching and I don't think literally anyone else would enjoy that, hah.
And that should be fine. Literally, it's no problem at all, if you're not interested in the ongoings of major Resetera events, you don't have to be. But it's simply insane for users to get all huffy puffy about not being informed and then in the same breathe they openly admit they close big banner notifications without even reading them.

Either you want to know whats going on, or you don't. If you do, this thread is hard to miss.

blaisedial

Oct 25, 2017
The user database is worth an incredibly small amount. The amount of information ad companies "know" about us from all the data sharing that goes on behind the scenes makes the info Resetera has on us worthless. You ever buy something at a store and then get related ads for what you bought that same day when you browse the web? (or stupidly, ads for the same thing you just bought lol) That's because ad companies already have that sort of link established behind the scenes w/ banks/credit cards. Those companies make a TON of money sharing that kind of data.. but they have incredibly important data on literally billions of people, not a few thousands gamer's email addresses.

Their plan would be to buy this sites traffic/revenue and.. increase that traffic.. and optimize the revenue from said traffic. That's what their company focuses on; they have documents shown to investors on how good they are on increasing traffic to their network of sites, how they cross-pollinate traffic, and how they have plans to use their expanding portfolio of sites to get more lucrative advertising contracts (meaning making their current traffic a higher revenue per "hit.")

A few thousand email addresses... good luck shopping that around or using it for anything remotely meaningful.

What we do online is already public info.. our posts are public.. all the embedded ads are already sending the URLs we visit here to their backends, and because those same ad agencies have embedded ads on every other web site on the planet.. they are able to link all of that together already. There is nothing really useful for Resetera's user database to those companies; data is worth money in massive aggregates.. millions or billions of users.. and the stuff we store in our user profiles here is not particularly revealing, and most of it? Gets shown publicly on this very site.

Expect Resetera at some point to have things like it's entire theme taken over / branded by some game about to come out (probably from Riot games) for instance...that's how MOBA will increase revenue. A certain Orange web site was doing that in it's heyday for instance.. and isn't big enough anymore for any publisher to want to do that. Resetera for the most part is, and hasn't done that sort of thing (at least that I've noticed).. but Resetera + MOBA's other sites can be "sold" as a platform for those types of ads even moreso than any one individual site can. The company deals in traffic, not user databases.

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.

The company deals in traffic, not user databases.
I would also add that they offer a route for companies to advertise to a presorted, engaged, "real" user base. We're going to see site takeovers/themes, sponsored OTs when new games come out, embedded ads on topics, cross network promotions, paid accounts that have access to special features, etc.

All you have to do is read what MOBA themselves said:

"ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."

"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.

"ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022,"

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well guys, you know what to do.

terminator-okay.gif

(just leave the thread)

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think "meta" threads and discussions about the site aren't allowed. That's why they have the threads that comprise the Announcements section.

Are you talking about the thread that had a massive OP summing up what's taken place in this thread? Cause I thought that was really helpful, this thread is way too fast and tense.
Oh yeah, still though, really harsh. And yeah, I'm talking about that one.

It appears they requested their account be deleted.
Well that sucks... but I don't blame him. Put all that work and then bam. I'd probably do that too.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Oh yeah, still though, really harsh. And yeah, I'm talking about that one.

Well that sucks... but I don't blame him. Put all that work and then bam. I'd probably do that too.
Yeah it's a shame that it caused them to leave, and it's a situation that's reminiscent of what happened with the MC thread, too. A lot of reactionary actions and departures amidst some hurt feelings and frustrations, though it's obviously much more nuanced and complex than that. And while I appreciated that summary thread, letting it stay open would've set a precedent.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Your question has already been answered but I'm gonna chime in and say that losing threadmaking privileges really, really isn't a big deal. It's a temporary measure used for various reasons and it's closer to a warning than an actual ban.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Your question has already been answered but I'm gonna chime in and say that losing threadmaking privileges really, really isn't a big deal. It's a temporary measure used for various reasons and it's closer to a warning than an actual ban.
It just should've been explained to them right away instead of not doing so for hours.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I don't have anything serious to add to the conversation, but I wanted to say Cerium's new name tag of "The Former" is a piece of genius, brilliant stuff.

On-topic, I think we could all do with a little bit more of good faith. This is true for the mods, which could always err a little more on the side of treating users as misguided or rude but fundamentally well-meaning. But from reading through the last few pages of this thread it's even truer for us regular users - if the mods have said that they are happy with the current situation and that things aren't going to change, there's no reason not to extend them the benefit of the doubt on this subject. And there's certainly no reason to be discourteous to them. It's better for everyone if we can get to a point where we are all at peace so we can listen to each other. Mods should listen to user complaints, but users should listen to what mods say too, and take it to heart.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Did MOBA get played? I haven't seen the era member online count reach above 4000. The 50 000 member count must be a fan fiction. What are the rest of the 46 000 members up to?

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Did MOBA get played? I haven't seen the era member online count reach above 4000. The 50 000 member count must be a fan fiction. What are the rest of the 46 000 members up to?
Online just means right now, at this very moment, that many are online on the site. That doesn't mean there aren't 50k+ registered accounts that log in at different times

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What are the advantages of being owned by MOBA?

I'm not well versed in these kinds of things, the only think I can think of that's kinda close was when Giantbomb was purchased and it basically ran the same till recently.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What are the advantages of being owned by MOBA?

I'm not well versed in these kinds of things, the only think I can think of that's kinda close was when Giantbomb was purchased and it basically ran the same till recently.
More transparency maybe? We will have to wait and see because that's not a guarantee obviously.

Mistwalker

Oct 27, 2017
Your question has already been answered but I'm gonna chime in and say that losing threadmaking privileges really, really isn't a big deal.
On the other hand. Pretty big overreaction.
"It's only a one-day ban."

Nothing happens in a vacuum. It's not about the severity. It's about a culture of punishments-as-warnings, together with a lack of or poor communication amidst what can certainly be seen as fluid, unclear, or inconsistent criteria.

The mods are between a rock and a hard place, and I really do sympathize. I've seen plenty of "why is <harmful rhetoric> being allowed here? and no action from mods as usual, guess Era doesn't give a shit about <minority group> after all" when it'd only been 10-15 minutes since the offending post. A lot of folks absolutely choose to forget the mods are people with real lives and schedules doing the best they can, and that royally sucks.

All that said, the current state of things has lead to, and will continue to lead to, valuable contributing members leaving. Being dismissive or judgmental about their decisions regarding sticking around is not constructive or helpful.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
"It's only a one-day ban."

Nothing happens in a vacuum. It's not about the severity. It's about a culture of punishments-as-warnings, together with a lack of or poor communication amidst what can certainly be seen as fluid, unclear, or inconsistent criteria.

The mods are between a rock and a hard place, and I really do sympathize. I've seen plenty of "why is <harmful rhetoric> being allowed here? and no action from mods as usual, guess Era doesn't give a shit about <minority group> after all" when it'd only been 10-15 minutes since the offending post. A lot of folks absolutely choose to forget the mods are people with real lives and schedules doing the best they can, and that royally sucks.

All that said, the current state of things has lead to, and will continue to lead to, valuable contributing members leaving. Being dismissive or judgmental about their decisions regarding sticking around is not constructive or helpful.
I don't know what else to add given you summarized it in your post. The choice is between action and criticism, or no action and criticism. Threadbans and junioring are a midway step between a warning and a ban, and I can't really sympathize with anyone given a light punishment (within the relative scale of possible mod actions) who then flips out. It's like being given a ticket instead of arrested, and then emigrating from the country out of outrage.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I don't know why it comes as such a shock to the mods that Cerium sold you all down the river. He could barely stand logging in as it is.

Ed A

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 11, 2021
Okay, this makes sense. Resetera was a business in the end and if the folk(s) in charge of the fundamental aspects of it do not want to be in charge anymore, you need to find someone else to run it. And as a business exchange, assets are traded. The volunteers understand they were volunteers and if someone feels like they're suddenly entitled to compensation. That is, well, entitlement.

It's really odd to see what problems are being brought up and from where. The anxiety about the potential impacts of a new owner? Sure. But the financial compensation part is weird. Do people feel deprived of something because a moderator didn't get something they didn't ask for and continue to not want? Weird behavior, almost as if their concern is disingenuous. 🤔

Anyways Cerium, thanks for the time and work you put in the place. I hope you find success in whatever you do next. Thanks to the moderators and ex-moderators who've worked to make the community what it is, and I'm happy that the whole team is supportive in the sale and moving forward together. And I hope Nepenthe finds a lucky penny or something due to that awful poop fur comment (also that one report, what the fuck is wrong with some people. so two lucky pennies.)

Last edited:

Korranator

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Okay, this makes sense. Resetera was a business in the end and if the folk(s) in charge of the fundamental aspects of it do not want to be in charge anymore, you find someone else to run it. As a business exchange, assets are traded. The volunteers understand they were volunteers and if someone feels like they're suddenly entitled to compensation. That is, well, entitlement.

It's really odd to see what problems are being brought up and from where. The anxiety about the potential impacts of a new owner, sure. But the financial compensation part is weird. Do people feel deprived of something because a moderator didn't get something they didn't ask for and continue to not want? Weird behavior, almost as if their concern is disingenuous. 🤔

Anyways Cerium, thanks for the time and work you put in the place. I hope you find success in whatever you do next. Thanks to the moderators and ex-moderators who've worked to make the community what it is. And I hope Nepenthe finds a lucky penny or something due to that awful poop fur comment (also that one report, what the fuck is wrong with some people. so two lucky pennies.)
Nawwwwww...............

It's a cult filled with people whom never seen beyond what the TV or social media tells them, and thinks it's the truth. Journalism, balance checking, and freedom of thought and speech is dead.

Can you say propaganda? Good!

If y'all actually saw the real world then **POOF**.....................

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head: The recent thread about Jim Ryan is full of them because users had the absolute nerve to try to put some measure of context to a single sentence, out of context quote.
And then the ban on Markratos in that same thread for calling out how users were being insulted for expressing their opinion in that thread.
Haze's post in the Dragon Age 4 thread.
Polyh3dron's post in the Avowed details thread under the guise of "console wars." Vexii being warned for "hostility" for saying "use your brain" in a response in the DF Alan Wake thread.
Haunted's ban in the Jonathan Blow thread because they had the audacity to suggest they're looking forward to the dev's next game.
Cerulean_skylark's being warned for their post in the "Will SMTV be the break out hit for the series..." thread because of "port-begging?" When all they said was that they'd buy the game if it saw "a wider console release later on down the road."
Oh, and then there's TsuWave's ban in the thread about Pokemon Legends details from Kotaku They said "ugly ass game" and caught a day-long ban for "drive-by posting." Seriously?
Sophistry's post in the Koichi Sugiyama thread where they said, and I quote: "Some of the criticism in this thread is thoughtfully constructed. Some of the criticism in this thread is teen edgelord twitter-quality garbage. Noting this difference isn't the same as saying criticism is bad. But to each their own." Their ban reason was "tone policing." Tone policing for voicing their opinion. Several others in that thread snagging bans for daring to say that they find it bizarre or disgusting to celebrate someone's death. Many of those posts opening with the "as much as I found him despicable, I find it bizarre to celebrate someone's death."

These are just from the past few days and from what I saw and remembered off the top of my head. I'm not here to do your homework for you.

I also don't care if you agree with me on this one, but this site is very much an echo chamber.

The TOS is a standard legal necessity full of the typical jargon that covers Era's ass when it comes to data collection, laws (such as adhering to COPPA regulations), covering bases for things like DMCA takedowns, and the like. It is not a set of forum rules that users abide by. In fact, the link in the footer, despite saying it contains the Terms and Rules does not include any such site rules whatsoever. To even see any of the supremely vague rules (with a couple of rare exceptions) on this site, you need to scroll down on the site's FAQ page.
all Xbox first party games are going to beat their milestone goals and are all going to release early and xbox series x will have an amazing first party lineup by mid 2022 including great games like Destiny 2 The Witch Queen and I have no idea what ban you are talking about because I think there is nothing wrong with the upper management in Xbox Game Studios and they are just the best!

(blinks three times)

wudf

Oct 27, 2017
The ability to own a community is a byproduct of poor technology. In the near future, I hope that communities will be "owned" by their participants, and the value created by thoughtful leadership and management can be rewarded in a more equitable way than what we see with this sale.

I was pretty surprised that this site was so profitable though! Very impressive. Here I thought forums don't make much money, the ads were strictly necessary, and the premium subscriptions were generous donations toward a good cause. Quite naive/ignorant indeed.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what else to add given you summarized it in your post. The choice is between action and criticism, or no action and criticism. Threadbans and junioring are a midway step between a warning and a ban, and I can't really sympathize with anyone given a light punishment (within the relative scale of possible mod actions) who then flips out. It's like being given a ticket instead of arrested, and then emigrating from the country out of outrage.
When a person gets a series of these unwarranted bans, they can be used as pretext for a permanent, or more severe ban down the road.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
The ability to own a community is a byproduct of poor technology. In the near future, I hope that communities will be "owned" by their participants, and the value created by thoughtful leadership and management can be rewarded in a more equitable way than what we see with this sale.

I was pretty surprised that this site was so profitable though! Very impressive. Here I thought forums don't make much money, the ads were strictly necessary, and the premium subscriptions were generous donations toward a good cause. Quite naive/ignorant indeed.

It's not about technology, despite being for a community things usually happen because one or a few key individuals make them happen, someone had to take the initiative and put the work in to create the site and so forth. Then if the intent is to have it shared and not owned by an individual those things are usually solved with licenses or agreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.