• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I would really appreciate it if you didn't spread nonsense that isn't true.

They are not in the data selling business. They have no desire to go into that business. It's half the reason Ceri went with them.

Your data will not be sold.

Until MOBA decides that it can make an extra buck for its shareholders

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Imagine being the "General Manager" of a subsidiary of a publicly traded company and talking down to a user/customer like this

Lol you are talking like a Karen in the supermarket

There's just so much valuable information to be sold too. We all had to use work, personal or school emails. Not throw aways. That alone is probably worth millions. 50k to 100k private emails ripe to sell to companies.

Submit a ticket to change your e-mail, I did this before the buyout

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Also I love that staff expects us to trust them when they've been gas lighting us this entire thread.
We've had mods calling users racist just because they were disagreed with.
Absolute insanity.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly believe we wouldn't be going in circles if we could create threads about the separate issues discussed here without the threat of being juniored/banned and then being called "irrelevant".

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Lol you are talking like a Karen in the supermarket

Please explain? Half this thread is staff members complaining about how users are toxic towards them and then the general manager of the website is talking down to a user on the same page.

Y'all aren't in a meeting with staff.

Staff cannot remove themselves from being staff when interacting with the community, it just doesnt work. You arent part of the community in the same way, you are in a position of power over everyone else and now represent a multi million dollar corporation.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Staff cannot remove themselves from being staff when interacting with the community, it just doesnt work. You arent part of the community in the same way, you are in a position of power over everyone else and not represent a multi million dollar corporation.
That position of power doesn't mean we are obligated to always be nice. I don't get paid enough to put up with you all like that =P. If you think we should, email our new bosses to get us to shape up.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Worked in customer service for years, and I'll say this:

Never in my life have I seen a group of people making it so clear exactly why they want us to be paid.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This talk about our data being "secure" is not reassuring at all.

Is MOBA able to access our private information if they so choose?

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what people are expecting from the staff. They have been told your data won't be sold. If you don't believe them don't go after them go after MOBA. There is nothing else the staff can do besides go off on what they been told. Seems like people are trying for a weird gotcha.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all aren't in a meeting with staff.
That should not prevent the current staff of this forum to give out more professional responses. It's not a huge request, I would assume.

You want respect from users, which is fair, some of us would like receive the same level of respect. The previous response from a different member of the staff was not in line with the above.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That should not prevent the current staff of this forum to give out more professional responses. It's not a huge request, I would assume.

You want respect from users, which is fair, some of us would like receive the same level of respect. The previous response from a different member of the staff was not in line with the above.
We give out respectful responses to the people who are respectful in turn. Plenty of members have received courteous responses to the questions we can answer, and have thanked us for it.

The ones who haven't should think about why that is.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should wander over to your local Starbucks, treat the staff there like people have been talking to the staff here, and then see how professionally the Starbucks employees treat you. Nobody has time for this type of garbage treatment. The only people that would take this type of abuse are call center reps that are literally not allowed to hang up on a caller.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
Well, then be the karen you want to see in the world and call. their. MANAGER.
What exactly are you trying to prove here?

I know they are not paid, but they still have authority on this site: is it too much to ask for them to reply politely, especially to a user that took quite some time to share his understanding of how data will be affected after this sale?

I don't think we need to resort to this bullshit Karen name-calling, especially when it makes zero sense

Sep 20, 2021
Counter Argument:

Members should be paid danger money for daring to post on Resetera, particularly when certain staff members are on the prowl.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should wander over to your local Starbucks, treat the staff there like people have been talking to the staff here, and then see how professionally the Starbucks employees treat you.
Ironically the Starbucks employees are at a major disadvantage here because retaliation to rude customers is likely to result in disciplinary action/firing.

And the forum knows this.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
We give out respectful responses to the people who are respectful in turn. Plenty of members have received courteous responses to the questions we can answer, and have thanked us for it.

I've engaged very respectfully with multiple users.

Didn't stop me from being told that I'm devaluing labor and don't respect myself. Several times now, actually.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless Era is your only online interaction your data is already been sold by pretty much everybody on the internet and/or used for commercial purposes. I mean, this is the world we live in, sadly.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017

I'll tell you this: I know that you have been all fantastic as far as I am concerned during the years I've spent here. You had to deal with a lot of shit, some visible, other stuff I'm sure less so; I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope with this, especially in a voluntary/not day job type of setup. For that, I'll always be grateful to you all.

Having said that, I think that cutting down the conversation with absolute statements it's not great, that's all.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019

They are not in the data selling business. They have no desire to go into that business. It's half the reason Ceri went with them.

Would it be possible to get this assurance in writing from a representative of the entity that owns this board? Have they authorized you to speak on their behalf?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They can literally do whatever they want. They own the place.
No, it was a so-called asset deal that comes with its own obligations.

If you transfer the customer data ("the database") to another company then you have to comply with one of two scenarios:
a) Consent: ask each customer with an explicit opt-int formular for consent to use that data (check a box)
b) Contradiction: customers need to be informed about the data transfer before it happens and they have a right of objection

You can't just "go out and buy a customer database" and use it under the GDPR that Moba/Era have to adhere to.

It's up to anyones guess if the most valuable asset ("the database") was included in the selling fee of 4.5 million Dollars or not.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell you this: I know that you have been all fantastic as far as I am concerned during the years I've spent here. You had to deal with a lot of shit, some visible, other stuff I'm sure less so; I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope with this, especially in a voluntary/not day job type of setup. For that, I'll always be grateful to you all.

Having said that, I think that cutting down the conversation with absolute statements it's not great, that's all.
Appreciate the love.

I will admit, we cannot see 10 years into the future. There's no scientific law saying that years down the line, things cannot change. What we are saying is we have the paperwork on hand now, we've been in talks with folks, and we have the assurances that- for now- nothing will change regarding data usage and modship.

If things were to be as bad as people are predicting, you probably would've seen a staff exodus first instead.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly are you trying to prove here?

I know they are not paid, but they still have authority on this site: is it too much to ask for them to reply politely, especially to a user that took quite some time to share his understanding of how data will be affected after this sale?

I don't think we need to resort to this bullshit Karen name-calling, especially when it makes zero sense
I don't think, "I'll thank you to not just make random threads when you don't actually know anything." is even particularly rude, personally, it's like the slightest hint a rebuff in it, and certainly not worth making a stink over it. I've made comments like this as a server when people made a rude remark and I've yet to get in trouble over it nor even have it significantly impact my tipping. Most people just go "oh, yeah, I was slightly rude there" and move on.

But to your general point, no, I don't think after the thread this has been and the things I've seen that I can assume good faith on every seemingly innocuous interaction and I care little for tone policing. I called someone a Karen as a joke because I thought they are being overly dramatic about the unprofessionalism of a nonprofessional person over a faux pass so minor I could get away with it at my job.

If the person in question is operating in 100% good faith, then they can take a little ribbing and get used to the idea that, no, this is not a professional environment, no, the mods do not have an obligation to be unconditionally respectful without a hint of reproach to any poster without even a hint of sardonicism, and no, I especially don't have to do that because not only am I not a professional, I'm not even a mod and I won't ever be one. I'm just a regular poster, part of the community, and I like to shitpost where the absurdity of the situation warrants it.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get why you keep ignoring me when I'm trying to help here and point out that one of their owned subsidiaries under which the majority of their community websites fall does sell user data through a loophole.

Like I don't get how you keep saying they are not in the data selling business when the facts are that they literally are through one of their subsidiaries. Like yes, M.O.B.A Network AB does not sell user data. But CMI Marketing Inc through a partnership with Magic Find Inc, which is owned by M.O.B.A Network AB DOES sell user data.

Like you could have said, we've been told that they aren't selling user data, however this fact involving a subsidiary wasn't known to us and we will discuss it with M.O.B.A Network AB and get back to you.

Again for someone saying they're not in the business of selling user data they quite literally are.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. It's very easy to track someone down if you know what you're doing.

This is a good point tho.

You're absolutely right with your first point. But remember these are usually batch processed. If I have a list of emails from a database and query based on a format of say, [email protected] (and remember "real" email address are much more likely to have formatting rules and not "[email protected]), and have an extremely high confidence level this is "real" information, I will suddenly have a very easily distributable list of real names and real people I can combine with any other data points(ip address for location for example) and determine pretty much without a doubt who you are and where you live with a LARGE list of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.