• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really need to trust the staff when they say they understand their own financial situations and needs better than you do. You don't know their lives.
It isn't about the mods. It's about one dude making out with $4.5 million off the backs of an almost entirely volunteer workforce.

That shit doesn't sit right with many of us, and no "well actually" from the mod team is going to change that. It's a fucked situation and the only way to unfuck it is to pay the workforce what they deserve, even if they don't want it.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I was working on a post including all the information pertaining to your personal data over the weekend and have just posted that one. I have framed the thread as objectively as possible and made the boundaries for discussion abundantly clear.

To the admins and mods:

As said the entire thread is framed as informational and I just worked on that to provide the community with options to protect their data. Also the entire thread is not for discussing anything but your personal data. It is one of the things that I just find incredibly important and considering the amount of topics discussed here I found it valuable to just have a single thread for questions and information on your user data under the new ownership. I explicitly ask the community not to discuss anything but user data in that topic.
I hope you saved that on a text file because that was a lot of information that just got straight up nuked.

Info on data protection

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, thread deleted

I wanted to wait 30 minutes for a response of B-dubs on if it is guaranteed that nothing will change in the future. Nothing in my post includes wrong information. I am quite frankly baffled that that is given as the reason. I took Resetera's Privacy Policy and held that against the privacy policy of the company under which the majority of the community sites of M.O.B.A Network AB fall.

I'm just going to post it here, because again I did NOT post any wrong information. I just state the differences in privacy policies, with a big asterisk on the one of Magic Find which basically states another privacy policy supersedes the partnered sites policy. I put a lot of hours into this post so again here it is:

Opening statement

This post is purely for informational purposes. Considering the values this community has been built upon and how important your personal data is in those values, it seemed important to me to look into the company that has bought this forum. Do note that this post is NOT made to discuss any moderation decisions on other partner sites, and/or other topics not relating to your user data. Again this post is made to inform you what will happen under the new umbrella, and give you options to protect your data.

I kindly ask you all to not derail this thread with other topics. These topics can be discussed in Cerium's thread about the new ownership here.

1. Introduction

Ever since Cerium made his thread announcing the sale of Resetera LLC to M.O.B.A Network AB one of the more important questions that came up was how the new company will handle our user data. The current privacy policy under Era Network LLC, which operates Resetera.com, can be found here and will be used as a baseline to compare it to the policy's of the new owners. Under the new owners most of their community sites seem to fall under the umbrella of Magic Find Inc. Which is where you are linked to once you click on their individual privacy policy links in the footer of these sites.

2. The good news

Going over the privacy policy of Magic Find and you'll notice broadly the same policy applies as it is now under Era Network LLC. Though a big asterisk applies here which will be discussed in the next paragraph. For now this means the following:

• Any information you provide is collected (this includes but is not limited to; email address, personal identifying information, messages shared through use of this forum)
  • Information that is automatically collected (this includes but is not limited to your IP address, pages you visit, browser type, software type, etc.)
  • User generated content (any content you submit to this forum can be used, replicated, prepare derivative works, royalty free, and for commercial use)
  • Company does not sell, lease, or otherwise transfer your information to third-parties for profit.*

These points are already disclosed under the old ownership and remain the same under the new ownership, no surprises here. The following points are not disclosed under Era Network LLC's privacy policy. These can be considered as additional and include:

• Geo-location
  • Third party provided information (this is seemingly included because they have the option to like you Battle.net, Facebook, etc. accounts)

So for the most part there are no big surprises here. Most of it aligns with is already in place on Resetera, also including the use of Cookies. However there isn't an asterisk for nothing on the fourth point which will now be discussed.

3. The catch

Going over Magic Find's privacy policy one of the things that stands out is under point six "advertising". It states the following:

This Site is affiliated with CMI Marketing, Inc., d/b/a CafeMedia ("CafeMedia") for the purposes of placing advertising on the Site, and CafeMedia will collect and use certain data for advertising purposes. To learn more about CafeMedia's data usage, click here: https://cafemedia.com/publisher-advertising-privacy-policy/

Now for the most part this goes over the way Cookies are implemented. The big thing here is that CafeMedia's privacy policy supersedes that of Magic Find. Now again, this mostly covers the way cookies are implemented. However there's a big catch here and that's the way they are partnered with certain other parties that do different stuff with you user data:

The site from which you linked partners with technology services through its relationship with CafeMedia. Below you can read detailed information about the privacy policies of these technology companies, and choose to opt-out of their advertising related capabilities.

Criteo

We share hashed emails with our partner Criteo for the purposes of targeted advertising. You may opt-out of Criteo hashed email targeting here: https://www.criteo.com/privacy/

LiveRamp

When you use the Site, we share information that we may collect from you, such as your email (in hashed form), IP address or information about your browser or operating system, with our partner/service provider, LiveRamp Inc and its group companies ('LiveRamp'). LiveRamp may use our first party cookie on your browser to match your shared information to their marketing databases in order to provide back a pseudonymous privacy-centric identifier for our use in real time bidding in digital advertising. We may also share hashed and de-identified email addresses, IP addresses, and advertising identifiers with LiveRamp, which uses that information to create a link between your device and its databases. This link may be shared by our partners globally for the purpose of enabling interest-based content or advertising throughout your online experience (e.g. cross device, web, email and in app etc.) by third parties unaffiliated with our website. These third parties may in turn link further demographic or interest-based information to your browser. To opt out of this use, please head here: https://liveramp.com/opt_out/

ID5

We may choose to share information with our partner ID5 for the purposes of ad targeting. You may learn more about how ID5 operates and choose to opt-out of ID5 data collection here: https://id5.io/platfo

Parrable

We may choose to utilize our partner Parrable for the purposes of Interest Based Advertising. You may learn more about how Parrable operates and choose to opt-out of Parrable here: https://www.parrable.com/privacy-policy/

Verizon

We share hashed emails with our partner Verizon for the purposes of targeted advertising. You may opt-out of Verizon hashed email targeting here: https://yahoo.mydashboard.oath.com/

As you can see a lot of personal information is sold here for profit. Especially LiveRamp might concern some of you. Also the fact CafeMedia's privacy policy supersedes the privacy policy of the partnered site is questionable at best.

4. What options do you have to protect your data

Considering Resetera's application method, you are probably using a personal email address. This can be changed as has been stated by admins in the announcement thread:

We can change that email if you want. Paid emails are pretty much only for sign up. As long as you don't have like five posts and all of them somehow got warnings/bans, I'm happy to change it.

Furthermore you still have an option to opt out of certain data collector through the use of Network Advertising Intiative's cookie (ironic I know).

You can also opt-out individually at the designated partners mentioned under paragraph 3. once the forum has been completed integrated under new ownership.

Users from the EEA have the right to ask for their data, delete their data, etc. under the GDPR.

5. Closing statement

All in all, we all have options to protect our data. Beginning with changing your email if you are not comfortable with sharing that. Through the use of a technicality M.O.B.A Network AB can state they will not sell your data but it is clear that through the use of a loophole this can happen.

Hopefully this helps you with some of the questions you may have had regarding your personal data. Anymore questions or discussions regarding our user data can be posted below. Again please do not derail this thread with other topics relating to the sale.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't about the mods. It's about one dude making out with $4.5 million off the backs of an almost entirely volunteer workforce.

That shit doesn't sit right with many of us, and no "well actually" from the mod team is going to change that. It's a fucked situation and the only way to unfuck it is to pay the workforce what they deserve, even if they don't want it.

I'm sorry, but there was no contract signed, no legal basis for this. You're asking for a complete quagmire of taxes, international labor laws and so on and so forth to give people something they have outright said they don't want.

We're not talking about some scumbag running away and not paying people's contracted wages here.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017

how is it a fucked situation? the mods dont want to be paid, they are okay with the site being sold. how is it fucked?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but there was no contract signed, no legal basis for this. You're asking for a complete quagmire of taxes, international labor laws and so on and so forth to give people something they have outright said they don't want.

We're not talking about some scumbag running away and not paying people's contracted wages here.
Since when do we hand-wave away exploitation because "well they didn't sign a contract?"

One dude just made off with $4.5 million thanks to a bunch of other people's work. Sorry, that's not right and it's not in keeping with the values that I thought this forum had.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
how is it a fucked situation? the mods dont want to be paid, they are okay with the site being sold. how is it fucked?
Also note, we're not above being paid. If we got equal shares of everything, we'd all probably take it. We're just letting people know we never signed on for financial compensation in the first place because... it was a volunteer job (still is; I can leave anytime). So you know, it's hard to feel any type of way?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Since when do we hand-wave away exploitation because "well they didn't sign a contract?"

One dude just made off with $4.5 million thanks to a bunch of other people's work. Sorry, that's not right and it's not in keeping with the values that I thought this forum had.
Then you misunderstood what this site is.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
eyHrQgT.png

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Also note, we're not above being paid. If we got equal shares of everything, we'd all probably take it. We're just letting people know we never signed on for financial compensation in the first place because... it was a volunteer job (still is; I can leave anytime). So you know, it's hard to feel any type of way?

Ah fair enough then. I'm probably just overreacting to what is going on being described as exploitation. because as you say you weren't forced to be a mod and you aren't forced to stay.

it strikes me as nuts as we generally try to listen to people when they say there is a problem. but in this instance its others saying there is a problem the group involved saying that there is no problem then the others getting mad that there is no problem.

if you did want to be compensated for your efforts then id support that, i just dont think paying everyone is as simple as its being made out to be. There is a lot of admin and overhead costs involved as already alluded to. Id also share the worry about how the community dynamic would change, people are pretty toxic towards the mod team as you have already said and getting paid may lead to a tidal wave of Karen's and Ken's demanding you kowtow to them because they pay your salary.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's not exploitation. Every mod made the choice to do this for free, and it's something they choose to engage with on their own time and their own terms. They can leave any time, as so many of us have.

It feels to me like you feel like Cerium needs to be punished financially for making the sale moreso than you think the mods actually deserve to be paid for their work.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Literally nothing about how we handle your data has changed at all. Nothing. I'll thank you to not just make random threads when you don't actually know anything.
I'd like to point out that the account deletion process does need to change under GDPR. I'm curious to know when GDPR will apply to ERA? Is it already in effect or will it be by the last transaction?

jess rox

Banned
Sep 22, 2021
User banned (permanent): Troll account
Has anyone checked in on Cerium to make sure he's okay?

4 days is a long time to sleep and the fact that he's not made contact with either the forum or staff is concerning .

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ah fair enough then. I'm probably just overreacting to what is going on being described as exploitation. because as you say you weren't forced to be a mod and you aren't forced to stay.
Not overreacting at all! I just wanted to use your post to clarify. I understood your point. x3

It feels to me like you feel like Cerium needs to be punished financially for making the sale moreso than you think the mods actually deserve to be paid for their work.
Bingo.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree that it's exploitation in the labor theory of value sense, that a person who isn't doing the work is profiting off others work.

But again, that's capitalism, and resetera was never made to exist outside of capitalism.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Well there's always a silver lining….

Resetera might actually get its own Wiki Page for once

Nah. They removed it under the general notability guidelines, i.e. a lack of external coverage specifically covering this place. Nobody really covers forums in the news these days. A few one-off articles that it got sold off aren't going to get around that move.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
It would be a very nice QoL feature if we could set staff to be ignored. Any reason why they are exempt from the ignore feature? There are actually some interesting posts being made in this thread, but it's hard to sift through because most of the pages are filled with staff airing their personal grievances about the userbase or partaking in user smackdowns, which not getting into whether it's justified or not, is just not something I really care about or want to read. I would certainly ignore other users for directing the discussion this way. Surely most of the commentary by staff in this thread is not essential, why can't I ignore it like I can anyone else?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. Don't forget the $560k+ yearly income he's been socking away for 3.5 years from donation-begging and guilt-tripping the userbase too. It is a staggering heel-turn for a forum that has been overtly campaigning for improved workers rights all this time.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't think of Cerium in terms of an employer so much as a "digital landlord" or something along those lines. Which is still an exploitative relationship with his "tenants," namely us, but it's a very different dynamic.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to say this one final time and I hope you're all listening:

Official Staff Communication
We are not now, nor are we ever, going to sell your data. It will not be sold. Ever.

We have assurances of this. Your data will not be sold.

Anyone saying different does not know what is actually going on.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Exactly. Don't forget the $560k+ yearly income he's been socking away for 3.5 years from donation-begging and guilt-tripping the userbase too. It is a staggering heel-turn for a forum that has been overtly campaigning for improved workers rights all this time.

This happens? I never felt pressured to pay for anything here, I don't even know what the sub does.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to wait 30 minutes for a response of B-dubs on if it is guaranteed that nothing will change in the future. Nothing in my post includes wrong information. I am quite frankly baffled that that is given as the reason. I took Resetera's Privacy Policy and held that against the privacy policy of the company under which the majority of the community sites of M.O.B.A Network AB fall.

I'm just going to post it here, because again I did NOT post any wrong information. I just state the differences in privacy policies, with a big asterisk on the one of Magic Find which basically states another privacy policy supersedes the partnered sites policy. I put a lot of hours into this post so again here it is:

Opening statement

This post is purely for informational purposes. Considering the values this community has been built upon and how important your personal data is in those values, it seemed important to me to look into the company that has bought this forum. Do note that this post is NOT made to discuss any moderation decisions on other partner sites, and/or other topics not relating to your user data. Again this post is made to inform you what will happen under the new umbrella, and give you options to protect your data.

I kindly ask you all to not derail this thread with other topics. These topics can be discussed in Cerium's thread about the new ownership here.

1. Introduction

Ever since Cerium made his thread announcing the sale of Resetera LLC to M.O.B.A Network AB one of the more important questions that came up was how the new company will handle our user data. The current privacy policy under Era Network LLC, which operates Resetera.com, can be found here and will be used as a baseline to compare it to the policy's of the new owners. Under the new owners most of their community sites seem to fall under the umbrella of Magic Find Inc. Which is where you are linked to once you click on their individual privacy policy links in the footer of these sites.

2. The good news

Going over the privacy policy of Magic Find and you'll notice broadly the same policy applies as it is now under Era Network LLC. Though a big asterisk applies here which will be discussed in the next paragraph. For now this means the following:

• Any information you provide is collected (this includes but is not limited to; email address, personal identifying information, messages shared through use of this forum)
  • Information that is automatically collected (this includes but is not limited to your IP address, pages you visit, browser type, software type, etc.)
  • User generated content (any content you submit to this forum can be used, replicated, prepare derivative works, royalty free, and for commercial use)
  • Company does not sell, lease, or otherwise transfer your information to third-parties for profit.*

These points are already disclosed under the old ownership and remain the same under the new ownership, no surprises here. The following points are not disclosed under Era Network LLC's privacy policy. These can be considered as additional and include:

• Geo-location
  • Third party provided information (this is seemingly included because they have the option to like you Battle.net, Facebook, etc. accounts)

So for the most part there are no big surprises here. Most of it aligns with is already in place on Resetera, also including the use of Cookies. However there isn't an asterisk for nothing on the fourth point which will now be discussed.

3. The catch

Going over Magic Find's privacy policy one of the things that stands out is under point six "advertising". It states the following:

Now for the most part this goes over the way Cookies are implemented. The big thing here is that CafeMedia's privacy policy supersedes that of Magic Find. Now again, this mostly covers the way cookies are implemented. However there's a big catch here and that's the way they are partnered with certain other parties that do different stuff with you user data:

As you can see a lot of personal information is sold here for profit. Especially LiveRamp might concern some of you. Also the fact CafeMedia's privacy policy supersedes the privacy policy of the partnered site is questionable at best.

4. What options do you have to protect your data

Considering Resetera's application method, you are probably using a personal email address. This can be changed as has been stated by admins in the announcement thread:

Furthermore you still have an option to opt out of certain data collector through the use of Network Advertising Intiative's cookie (ironic I know).

You can also opt-out individually at the designated partners mentioned under paragraph 3. once the forum has been completed integrated under new ownership.

Users from the EEA have the right to ask for their data, delete their data, etc. under the GDPR.

5. Closing statement

All in all, we all have options to protect our data. Beginning with changing your email if you are not comfortable with sharing that. Through the use of a technicality M.O.B.A Network AB can state they will not sell your data but it is clear that through the use of a loophole this can happen.

Hopefully this helps you with some of the questions you may have had regarding your personal data. Anymore questions or discussions regarding our user data can be posted below. Again please do not derail this thread with other topics relating to the sale.
Again, this is not accurate. Literally nothing about how we handle user data is changing. Nothing.

We are not now, nor are we ever going to sell you information to anyone else.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, this is not accurate. Literally nothing about how we handle user data is changing. Nothing.
So we know what level of authority this is coming from - are you a paid employee on the books of Resetera LLC (now MOBA Networks, I guess), or just a volunteer answering questions to the best of your ability in your spare time on your own terms with "no contract signed, no legal basis" as Planetsmasher would say?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about this shitshow, mods. Maybe it's as FF suggested, and a community of this composition literally can't be governed. Best of luck, I feel your pain.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I am going to say this one final time and I hope you're all listening:

Official Staff Communication
We are not now, nor are we ever, going to sell your data. It will not be sold. Ever.

We have assurances of this. Your data will not be sold.

Anyone saying different does not know what is actually going on.

so, why is our data being sold?
/s

I'm fully expecting to get banned for this.

4 days is a long time to sleep and the fact that he's not made contact with either the forum or staff is concerning .

I mean, they did say that they are moving away from this forum so it's not completely surprising. Besides, Cerium actually taking the time to come back and respond here is gonna be another fresh hell to deal with.

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I take that reply that MOBA Network has no access to any of our personal data and won't ever get any access without asking for consent first?
They are not in the data selling business. They have no interest in the data selling business. This is part of why Ceri went with them.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

We are not now, nor are we ever going to sell you information to anyone else.

And again, if you took the time to read what I posted, Magic Find Inc's Privacy Policy also states that they are not selling your information. The big asterisk being that there's a passage that links to another Privacy Policy that suddenly supersedes the one of Magic Find Inc. So perhaps that's something to look into, because I do believe you when you say that Era Network LLC will never sell our data. But through a loophole that is exactly what Magic Find Inc's privacy policy also states but ultimately does do.

In the end I just give the community options to protect their data, for now and in the future. Because we're going from being privately owned to corporately owned.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think a wellness check is in order, if only to make sure he didn't laugh himself silly to death after the fast one he pulled on every single one of us.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This happens? I never felt pressured to pay for anything here, I don't even know what the sub does.

I haven't seen a single mention of ERA Clear (which removes ads) in what feels like years now, and certainly never anything on the level of "donation-begging and guilt-tripping the userbase".

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
"We" as in "moderation team" or in "MOBA Network"?
The mod team. Moba is 100% going to sell your data. It doesn't matter what current staff says or what they think.
Moba didn't spend nearly 5 million on Era to not make money back as quickly as possible. They'll sell everything they can about the users on this site. They'll change rules to get more people to sign up and be "active" no matter what.
Current staff can say and believe whatever they want. It doesn't matter. They aren't in charge. And they'll likely be replaced soon enough.

There's just so much valuable information to be sold too. We all had to use work, personal or school emails. Not throw aways. That alone is probably worth millions. 50k to 100k private emails ripe to sell to companies.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Literally nothing about how we handle your data has changed at all. Nothing. I'll thank you to not just make random threads when you don't actually know anything.

Imagine being the "General Manager" of a subsidiary of a publicly traded company and talking down to a user/customer like this

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
They're not in the data selling business but could sell Resetera at any point or be acquired themselves by another company that is. MMO-Champion (our new sister site) has had 4 different owners in the last 11 years for example. Moba network themselves are also only 3 years old so there's very little comfort to take from their track record or long term viability.

This place is a corporate asset now, nobody here has any control over what happens to it or its data.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had been paying for Era clear ever since it launched, since it was pitched as something to "help keep the lights on." I had no idea one motherfucker was pocketing a staggeringly massive salary and just fleecing shmucks like me to keep his margins up.

Obviously, yes. Not sure how what wasn't clear.

If this was a community operation like we all thought, then of course it's no big deal to have an all volunteer workforce. But it turns out our community was just a massive profit generator for a single individual, and now a corporate entity. It's a lot more complicated now.

I guess I'm just confused by conflicting messaging. We routinely call out corporate entities for stuff like soliciting community artwork with the promise of "exposure," even though the artists participate in that transaction willingly. But in this situation we hand-wave away the same problematic dynamic by saying the mods are participating willingly.

How is this situation different?

B-Dubs

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The mod team. Moba is 100% going to sell your data. It doesn't matter what current staff says or what they think.
Moba didn't spend nearly 5 million on Era to not make money back as quickly as possible. They'll sell everything they can about the users on this site. They'll change rules to get more people to sign up and be "active" no matter what.
Current staff can say and believe whatever they want. It doesn't matter. They aren't in charge. And they'll likely be replaced soon enough.

There's just so much valuable information to be sold too. We all had to use work, personal or school emails. Not throw aways. That alone is probably worth millions. 50k to 100k private emails ripe to sell to companies.
I would really appreciate it if you didn't spread nonsense that isn't true.

They are not in the data selling business. They have no desire to go into that business. It's half the reason Ceri went with them.

Your data will not be sold.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of this situation to have an argument but regardless of that, taken only in the context of this post, this feels like an incredibly unprofessional way for staff to speak to its users, ESPECIALLY after a major change like this.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the "General Manager" of a subsidiary of a publicly traded company and talking down to a user/customer like this
We're "alt-right adjacent" under the new ownership. If anything the fact that no staffer has told anyone "fuck off, you prick" is actually not in our favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.