• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even see that entire thing, I was asleep. That's why it's not fair to judge me or others. I mean, what percentage of the users of this site are even viewing this thread, and what percentage of those were even active in the thread when the gofundme was put up?
I am judging the general community not only by what I've seen from this thread but how they've acted in other parts. There is a significant number of people that are awful people to the mods. Not a small subsection of bad faith actors or people who get a bit carried away, I mean significant amounts of people who are just fucking assholes. I have no obligation, incentive, or rationale to assume good faith on this particular part of the community. Look at this thread at random, pick a page, any page, and chances are you will see people being shitty.

On the matter of paying someone when an employer refuses to...yes, I tip at restaurants. So please don't put words in my mouth (and put them in double quotes implying I actually said them), it's unprofessional.
Luckily, posting here isn't my profession.

And I didn't put any words in your mouth either. I just followed your analogy to it's logical conclusion. You're analogy was a good one, the parallels between the examples hold up, so the logical follow through does as well. If you tip restaurant workers, then the same principles of tipping Nepenthe apply.

The issue of how mods are treated is separate from being paid, but is still an important one. Being paid for labour affects everyone, and is a matter of fair compensation for that labour. Of course mods should be treated well (assuming they are acting fairly, etc). I am an active mod on some large subreddits (and before you accuse me of being a hypocrite for modding for free for reddit, the subs are for medically-vulnerable support groups that have no other home anywhere, so there are no other options, and I do push for reddit mods to be paid).

I am a huge proponent of employers treating their staff better (and am aware that treating people with respect is usually higher on the list than increased compensation for most employees). The same goes for customers/users. But that doesn't remove the separate issue of staff for large corporations needing to be paid so as not to be exploited. Because that's what the mods here are—exploited.
None of this has to do with anything I said. I don't disagree that there is an argument ot be had about the capitalistic failings of the moneyed class exploiting the labor of those without. That's capitalism as a whole, it sucks, but neither here nor there.

What I am talking about here though is that this only is seems to be a thriving argument in the context of shitting on Cerium, with little shits given to actually making the lives of the mods better. And when this is brought up, instead of demonstrating or affirming some kind of care for the mods, people solely address this in the framing of "My argument is totally logically consistent, actually". In so many words, the contention here is "I can be a dick to the mods WHILE STILL thinking they deserve to get paid", which, yes, that is logically true, but also not the thing the mods care about, and if anything, see as a trap so users can be even bigger dicks to them.

They want to be treated with decency and respect. If you have no interest in doing that, they're not gonna care that you want to give htem money (which you technically don't, you just want Cerium to give them money)

Last edited:

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are moving on because this thread is in utter shambless and full of spam.
There are lists with questions that remain unanswered and details we cannot discuss because even mods are completely derailing this topic.

For example: the question if our private data has been sold to another company without our consent remains unanswered.
Or where is the publicly available contact data for the GDPR official that had to be announced already 5 days ago? I can't find that info.

Nevermind, let's focus on important stuff and use this thread to beg for tags instead.

I was working on a post including all the information pertaining to your personal data over the weekend and have just posted that one. I have framed the thread as objectively as possible and made the boundaries for discussion abundantly clear.

To the admins and mods:

As said the entire thread is framed as informational and I just worked on that to provide the community with options to protect their data. Also the entire thread is not for discussing anything but your personal data. It is one of the things that I just find incredibly important and considering the amount of topics discussed here I found it valuable to just have a single thread for questions and information on your user data under the new ownership. I explicitly ask the community not to discuss anything but user data in that topic.

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, in these two situations, the latter is worse. But these aren't the only two scenarios staff can work.

We can be treated better for free. And that would be nicer than either choice in the above dilemma.

And you know what's even better than that? To be treated good and to be paid. We can't pretend this forum didn't host progressive arguments that would engender negative feelings towards what happened here, in regards to unpaid volunteers building value for one individual under the guise of a community enterprise.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You should be asking what has happened then that 99% of staff do not feel like they can trust that these arguments are coming from a place of good-heartedness then.

Yeah I've been there to discuss most of the forum upsets that have happened on this site, and there's no doubt that staff feel that way. I see it all the time. It's a rift that seems to get worse and worse. Theres a lot I could say about it. There's a lot I've said about it in the past. I've spent a lot of time in this circus of a thread, trying to sincerely discuss my thoughts on the news, without much engagement from staff. So I get the feeling that if I'm trying this much and still not gaining your trust, then who could? The damage is looking irreparable.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. A little odd, but fair. We're 50k strong with an advertised space and paid membership tier. Like, those circumstances don't seem conducive to slim margins. Granted, I am also not a financial expert.

I wouldn't have known if we were 50k or 5k to be honest. I'm not even sure how to check that. Also don't know how much ad revenue per person would produce and no real reason to go find out. The fact people would pay for me to avoid ads is something I'll never grasp.

I've done moderation on gaming forums, though much smaller in size. It still sucked and I can see how it wouldn't scale well. It's kinda like how people assume the officers in an MMO guild are having all the fun.

Last edited:

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Extreme hostility over multiple posts
Judging by your behavior here Neph, it's clear you haven't had things go your way in life, but for my money you are far worse than any childhood bully I've endured. This site and my account here are absolutely worthless as long as people like you get to dictate what is and isn't okay to discuss.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Calling someone else a bully while entering a thread solely to insult them and their life.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And you know what's even better than that? To be treated good and to be paid. We can't pretend this forum didn't host progressive arguments that would engender negative feelings towards what happened here, in regards to unpaid volunteers building value for one individual under the guise of a community enterprise.
No one is actually pretending that, especially not I. But the fact is the only thing members can do for us, realistically, at this point in time, is to treat us better. We can handle our financials.

But people are extremely insistent on not trying to do their part, meaning I have no faith in the best case scenario you present.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I ve reached page 54 in this thread and so far it is very demoralising.

I don't really think anything significant will change here but i ll maintain a "wait'n'see" approach.
Back to reading the rest now.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I was working on a post including all the information pertaining to your personal data over the weekend and have just posted that one. I have framed the thread as objectively as possible and made the boundaries for discussion abundantly clear.

To the admins and mods:

As said the entire thread is framed as informational and I just worked on that to provide the community with options to protect their data. Also the entire thread is not for discussing anything but your personal data. It is one of the things that I just find incredibly important and considering the amount of topics discussed here I found it valuable to just have a single thread for questions and information on your user data under the new ownership. I explicitly ask the community not to discuss anything but user data in that topic.
Literally nothing about how we handle your data has changed at all. Nothing. I'll thank you to not just make random threads when you don't actually know anything.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing about how we handle your data has changed at all. Nothing. I'll thank you to not just make random threads when you don't actually know anything.
I take that reply that MOBA Network has no access to any of our personal data and won't ever get any access without asking for consent first?

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry, but this is a subject close to my heart. Can you guarantee that nothing will change in the future? This was an informational thread regarding our user data, and how that is handled on the partner sites. I know nothing has changed, but will that remain the same in the future? If that is so, than I'm sorry I made the thread but I could not find the appropriate information in this thread, which prompted me to make that post.

Edit:

And considering your edit when you closed the thread. Nowhere did I give incorrect information. What I did was take Resetera's current Privacy Policy and compare that to the one on the partner sites, and ultimately give people options to protect their data. It's literally information taken from all three privacy policies in play.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are we still doing tags did i miss out on that

Because I'd like everyone to know that my name is pronounced 'vice'

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been there to discuss most of the forum upsets that have happened on this site, and there's no doubt that staff feel that way. I see it all the time. It's a rift that seems to get worse and worse. Theres a lot I could say about it. There's a lot I've said about it in the past. I've spent a lot of time in this circus of a thread, trying to sincerely discuss my thoughts on the news, without much engagement from staff. So I get the feeling that if I'm trying this much and still not gaining your trust, then who could? The damage is looking irreparable.
You cannot speak for the entire community though. We do our best to engage in people who are coming at us on respectful footing when we catch those posts or are pinged about them, because they deserve that in return. But just because you- Rover- are being sincere, doesn't mean we don't have a bunch of blame spaces to deal with on top of it (you were finally acknowledged lol). We are going to keep some distance at this point because trust is broken, but that doesn't mean your behavior is meaningless or unappreciated! Keep doing what you're doing, and... You know... maybe go out of your way to tell the drama mongers and trolls to shut the fuck up every now and again, or at least report them. Solidarity with one another will help a bunch too! =P

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Uhm, wait. Looking at bdubs response there nothing have changed regarding how they handle peoples personal data. But under GDPR it has to. At what date will GDPR apply to ERA?

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Judging by your behavior here Neph, it's clear you haven't had things go your way in life, but for my money you are far worse than any childhood bully I've endured. This site and my account here are absolutely worthless as long as people like you get to dictate what is and isn't okay to discuss.
Get off the site then, bum. No one is asking you to be here.

Especially since you seem to have all the energy for women on this site. Brave of you.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You are right that your account is worthless.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nigga said if the blacks are in charge i'm outta here LMAOOOOOO

Sep 10, 2018
Reading what I can of this thread has put into perspective how tough the mods here have it for me. I've had problems with moderation in places outside of era before, where it felt like pulling teeth trying to explain some really basic issues regarding racism and the like, whereas here is a much more socially progressive space, which deals with countless very sensitive, complex topics that I'm certainly not equipped to deal with. Definitely don't deserve to be compared to cops or anything like that, that's really weird. And you definitely deserve more respect than you get. Thank you for your efforts in making this a safe space.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The quote covers that aspect of it in the last part, doesn't it?

I wouldn't really trust a blog post, even if it is from a lawyer. As long as there are no precedents we can point to.
The law is clear, you should not be able to be identified if you request that all identifiable data should be deleted.
Maybe "deleted member #xxx" is enough on its own
Maybe "Hey Kyuuji" is enough on its own.

But mentioning the username who still has an identifiable user-id attached? Does Era or MOBA really want to find it out in court or rather after they get slapped with an up to 20 million € fine?

The "deleted member #xxxx" is the problem here, not the posts, because you can be identified through that user-id. If it just says "Deleted member" there should be no problems, the ID is the crux of the matter. And there is no reason to even have the User-ID visible or even exist after the user requests to delete all identifiable data. The posts will still be there, the post-chain is still unbroken, it will just say "deleted member"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't understand the persistence of the "pay the mods, even when they say they don't want to be paid".

When I was asked to be a mod, the conversation was entirely around how best to help the particular communities I was brought on to assist with. I did not want modding to be my job, and I did not want it to be a full-time gig. I was around to help people when needed. Pay, even part-time pay, would've altered the way I interacted with the site and required me to spend more time modding than I felt I could provide. I would've probably LEFT the mod team even earlier than I did if pay entered into the equation, because I already had a job at the time and did not want or need another one. I already had enough mental health issues to deal with without having to worry about taxes and shit on top of that.

Y'all really need to trust the staff when they say they understand their own financial situations and needs better than you do. You don't know their lives.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The "deleted member #xxxx" is the problem here, not the posts, because you can be identified through that user-id. If it just says "Deleted member" there should be no problems, the ID is the crux of the matter. And there is no reason to even have the User-ID visible or even exist after the user requests to delete all identifiable data. The posts will still be there, the post-chain is still unbroken, it will just say "deleted member"
This would be a big improvement for privacy. It's really odd to assign deleted accounts a unique ID traceable across the site, it defeats the purpose most people would want their accounts deleted for.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really trust a blog post, even if it is from a lawyer. As long as there are no precedents we can point to.
The law is clear, you should not be able to be identified if you request that all identifiable data should be deleted.
The blog even states that this exception is only appliable to institutions created for jounalistic or academic expressions. This is a gaming forum.

Also the default framework of XenForo has a feature to remove all posts created by a user if you remove the account. Not sure why it's not getting used.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe "deleted member #xxx" is enough on its own
Maybe "Hey Kyuuji" is enough on its own.

But mentioning the username who still has an identifiable user-id attached? Does Era or MOBA really want to find it out in court or rather after they get slapped with an up to 20 million € fine?

Perhaps. It's just tricky in that instance as you're then pushing for the removal of content from what is essentially the post and message of another user. That section — that is, to use the reply feature — automates that but the resulting content is still a part of a separate users post and not your own. I fully understand what you're saying, I'm just comparing it relative to the regulation itself and the honest answer is I don't know outside of information elsewhere that indicates it's not an issue. I've read the GDPR a number of times but haven't had to engage in a broad variety of its application.

On the consequence of it this is why I suggested to someone earlier that reaching out to MOBA to determine who their DPO is and what their view on such an element is, might be a faster means of understanding that information. Since they are the ones employed or contracted to know the specifics of such instances. Having other forums under their belt I can't imagine it would be a new request.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

To the admins and mods:

oh wow, thread deleted

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah GA cookies are being set before consent has been given .. they will defo need to change that
If you view the thread in a private session you get the now standard privacy and cookie notice with options and information. At least I do?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you're saying that the cookie is set, and I assume not revoked, prior that that notice being accepted. That should be amended by the tech team.

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot speak for the entire community though. We do our best to engage in people who are coming at us on respectful footing when we catch those posts or are pinged about them, because they deserve that in return. But just because you- Rover- are being sincere, doesn't mean we don't have a bunch of blame spaces to deal with on top of it (you were finally acknowledged lol). We are going to keep some distance at this point because trust is broken, but that doesn't mean your behavior is meaningless or unappreciated! Keep doing what you're doing, and... You know... maybe go out of your way to tell the drama mongers and trolls to shut the fuck up every now and again, or at least report them. Solidarity with one another will help a bunch too! =P

I'm gonna leave it at that. Despite the stupid shit some posters are going on about (ongoing, as I can see) in this thread, I hope you all consider what I've said, and drop me a PM if you're open to talking about it privately. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you engage the post and explain why people shouldn't have these concerns instead of saying that a poster knows nothing. From Cerium's op, the staff that Era does have has to talk with MOBA directly to discuss what the relationship is like going forward. That too me doesn't sound like all of this is all set up and there is nothing to talk about.

You guys changed the messaging of Era clear because it became evident that the revenue this site generates is far more than just sustaining server costs. You should forgive people from thinking that other stuff is going on and maybe that just saying postersknow nothing is not the best way to tackle this.

We even just had a mod admit to potential insider trading by knowing of things days before hand. Nothing about the messaging from staff has been clear about this sale. The public information that the brokerage firm put out and moba themselves have been more open with information than what has come from Era.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Perhaps. It's just tricky in that instance as you're then pushing for the removal of content from what is essentially the post and message of another user. That section — that is, to use the reply feature — automates that but the resulting content is still a part of a separate users post and not your own. I fully understand what you're saying, I'm just comparing it relative to the regulation itself and the honest answer is I don't know outside of information elsewhere that indicates it's not an issue. I've read the GDPR a number of times but haven't had to engage in a broad variety of its application.

On the consequence of it this is why I suggested to someone earlier that reaching out to MOBA to determine who their DPO is and what their view on such an element is, might be a faster means of understanding that information. Since they are the ones employed or contracted to know the specifics of such instances. Having other forums under their belt I can't imagine it would be a new request.

I know it is tricky, and I, myself am not pushing for the deletion of all posts of the user who requests the deletion, it should not be necessary if the user-ID was also deleted.
The same with quoted posts, it should be no problem if there was no User-ID. The only problem is, if there is still a User-ID and someone links that user-ID to a name in their posts. That specific post is dangerous, and the owners of this forum should rather be safe than sorry in that matter, even if they have to use a system to automatically rename all mentions in all posts of the User with "deleted member"
Or, they could just change the system and delete the User-ID from all deleted members.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Why? are they above the rules because they are popular? they have been repeatedly poking the bear over the course of this thread, practically asking for a threadban.

Agreed. I read the whole thread and even though he can be quite funny in other threads, his popularity shouldn't protect him from a threadban/ban.

Welcome to my life. *sigh*

What, that sucks! By whom? Like discords?

Status
Not open for further replies.