• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
This dynamic of users relitigating every little beef they've had with mods and portraying them weirdly as fascist power-hungry dictators for the way they choose to run an Internet message board about video games while simultaneously infantilizing and talking down to them in order to insist that they should want to get paid for their work of running an Internet message board about video games is just so super fucking weird.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I mean is there even a point to appealing a one day ban?

Like but the time the mod reads it and considers it and discusses it or whatever the process is several hours will likely have past.
Depending on the size of the queue it can definitely take time to get to it (since tickets is only one part of the gig), but at the very least we can remove it from your infraction history.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes? It was originally done through the contact form at the bottom of the site, but then we implemented tickets to do that. I've personally reverted plenty of bans due to things like a misunderstanding, sincere apology, or something of that sort. It's not uncommon (but also like, if you got banned for a racial slur or something I'm probably not going to grant or even give the time of day to an appeal).

The more you know. It must have been before the ticketing system, and I didn't think about an email for some reason. I felt like I remember a "mods online" thing where you could DM a mod that was available. I didn't see that and gave up since it really wasn't that important.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
The difference is one is at a significantly greater threat of organized harassment campaigns.

Someone really needs to explain to you how analogies work lmao
Did the private nature of discord stop the harrashment?

You should probably learn how Empathy works before blaming others for the lack of it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would like to say, and in no way to diminish anyone else being harassed but some of us non mods were targeted by KiwiFarms due to our involvement in the discussion surrounding Cyberpunk2077, to the point where I genuinely feared for my family.

Any form of harassment is truly disgusting.

The mistakes made around that issue helped highlight many people for harassment so let's not play any victims off against any community or the community in General.

As some context for why I may fear the kind of community our new owners may Foster.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but you completely missed the point. The main issue was because of the constant trolling for member that didn't care about the actual discussion and no mod wanted to take action. The ban was the last straw.

I didn't miss the point, I acknowledged that users of the thread have the right to express their discontent with the ban and there were many ways to contact staff about the ban. I again can't give personal opinion on the thread as I was never a poster or lurker of said threads so it's not in my right or place to tell people of said thread how they should feel. However what I can safely say is that the ban being a "last straw" and the reaction that followed in no way excused the many vitriolic posts that were said. There's no excuse or justification for the nature of many of the posts that were made no matter how some may feel otherwise. Not to mention that fact that inflammatory accusations, posting outside screenshots, and many other things are against forum rules and users are often banned for making or doing them and that means that many of the posts were against the TOS and site rules. People are allowed to share their emotions, but their emotions don't make them free from consequences. Everyone who joined this site was made the acknowledge the TOS before they made their first post, people who posted comments that broke the TOS don't get free passes just because they are emotional or because a ban was the last straw. I will also add that staff also made multiple exceptions that ordinarily are never made in regards to the rules so that people in the MC thread could post and vent in ways without consequence that normally would be instantly actionable.

Users are free to disagree with the TOS and staff action or the percieved by some double sided nature of application of said rules but that doesn't change the fact that they are there and exist.

That users of said thread felt their needs were ignored for long to get to a breaking point is regrettable to me, while I personally had absolutely nothing to do with it or Chris's ban and never knew about the issues with the MC thread prior to everything that happened, I still apologize that an important community felt it's needs were ignored for so long. That was my failure as a mod not being informed about a specific community so I extend a sincere apology for not knowing and I apologize to each and every one of you of the community for not knowing about the issues or what was happening.

Is appealing a ban even possible? I was banned once and thought about pinging the Mods to argue my case, but the ban didn't just stop me from posting, it logged me out completely. I didn't see any way to officially appeal while logged out.

Absolutely it is. Though if you are banned you'll need to use the contact us tab at the bottom and submit a ticket under the ban appeal category. You can do this both logged in or logged out. I can promise every ban appeal is read and looked at. Sending an appeal doesn't guarantee a reply or unban, there are many factors that go into it it but if you are polite in your ticket or at least avoid going "You banned me you fascists unban me or else"? then you'll most likely receive a reply even if it's simply saying the appeal has been rejected. Also if the ban expires before you receive a reply it's fairly common for bans to be removed from a users record altogether if the appeal was accepted but the reply was unable to be sent before the ban was over. This most usually happens in short ban situations.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to provide a hopefully constructive counterpoint to the admins/mods/ex-mods re the ban appeals/ticket system, I was one of the users who was banned in that MC thread, though weirdly enough I was banned many hours after most were for a post that was made around the same time other posts were made that resulted in very quickly issued bans, and I made a lengthy and well thought out appeal ticket that was not at all insulting, I got 0 response for days and days before I got fed up and closed it myself. Even just an explanation for the ban would've been nice, since like I say the time delay before it was issued was weird and it was a very vague reasoning that was given.

So yeah expecting Chris and the others to do likewise to appeal against their bans, along with their strong disagreement to the publicly posted new guidelines, potentially waiting days for a private answer if they even would've received one is a bit naive I think. If I were Chris, the way he was treated, the only ticket I would've have submitted would've been one to request an account deletion TBH.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From this thread I've learned that significant portions of:

PC-Era - The community I joined this site, with revolted and created their own site, Metacouncil

XbosEra - Ditto

NintendoEra - Ditto

SalesEra - Ditto

PoliticsEra - Ditto

Asian Era - Left, dunno if they made their own site.

Trans Era - Left, dunno if they made their own site.

MartialArts Era - Gone. The person who ran the Martial Arts OT was one of the Trans members who left.

As a member of PoliEra I would appreciate people not taking what happened there as a bludgeon to attack and be as toxic as hell towards every single mod and staff member.

And I say this as someone still very raw over it. Please don't.

Break_Away

Banned
May 8, 2021
California
I didn't miss the point, I acknowledged that users of the thread have the right to express their discontent with the ban and there were many ways to contact staff about the ban. I again can't give personal opinion on the thread as I was never a poster or lurker of said threads so it's not in my right or place to tell people of said thread how they should feel. However what I can safely say is that the ban being a "last straw" and the reaction that followed in no way excused the many vitriolic posts that were said. There's no excuse or justification for the nature of many of the posts that were made no matter how some may feel otherwise. Not to mention that fact that inflammatory accusations, posting outside screenshots, and many other things are against forum rules and users are often banned for making or doing them and that means that many of the posts were against the TOS and site rules. People are allowed to share their emotions, but their emotions don't make them free from consequences. Everyone who joined this site was made the acknowledge the TOS before they made their first post, people who posted comments that broke the TOS don't get free passes just because they are emotional or because a ban was the last straw. I will also add that staff also made multiple exceptions that ordinarily are never made in regards to the rules so that people in the MC thread could post and vent in ways without consequence that normally would be instantly actionable.

Users are free to disagree with the TOS and staff action or the percieved by some double sided nature of application of said rules but that doesn't change the fact that they are there and exist.

That users of said thread felt their needs were ignored for long to get to a breaking point is regrettable to me, while I personally had absolutely nothing to do with it or Chris's ban and never knew about the issues with the MC thread prior to everything that happened, I still apologize that an important community felt it's needs were ignored for so long. That was my failure as a mod not being informed about a specific community so I extend a sincere apology for not knowing and I apologize to each and every one of you of the community for not knowing about the issues or what was happening.

Absolutely it is. Though if you are banned you'll need to use the contact us tab at the bottom and submit a ticket under the ban appeal category. You can do this both logged in or logged out. I can promise every ban appeal is read and looked at. Sending an appeal doesn't guarantee a reply or unban, there are many factors that go into it it but if you are polite in your ticket or at least avoid going "You banned me you fascists unban me or else"? then you'll most likely receive a reply even if it's simply saying the appeal has been rejected. Also if the ban expires before you receive a reply it's fairly common for bans to be removed from a users record altogether if the appeal was accepted but the reply was unable to be sent before the ban was over. This most usually happens in short ban situations.
Posting outside screenshots is against forum rules? Cuz.. like literally everyone has done that. Twice. I don't know who or what you're talking about outside of that and I don't care to. But seeing that is a rule is odd considering it's never been enforced. (Unless used to target people) People post outside screenshots all the time. In this thread alone there a ton of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to provide a hopefully constructive counterpoint to the admins/mods/ex-mods re the ban appeals/ticket system, I was one of the users who was banned in that MC thread, though weirdly enough I was banned many hours after most were for a post that was made around the same time other posts were made that resulted in very quickly issued bans, and I made a lengthy and well thought out appeal ticket that was not at all insulting, I got 0 response for days and days before I got fed up and closed it myself. Even just an explanation for the ban would've been nice, since like I say the time delay before it was issued was weird and it was a very vague reasoning that was given.

So yeah expecting Chris and the others to do likewise to appeal against their bans, along with their strong disagreement to the publicly posted new guidelines, potentially waiting days for a private answer if they even would've received one is a bit naive I think. If I were Chris, the way he was treated, the only ticket I would've have submitted would've been one to request an account deletion TBH.
It's...odd...to see the admittance that the situation with MC thread was handled wrong by mods but still expect groveling to return.
Same as the recent thread ban above for the PlayStation forum joke. "It's not a big deal." Ok. Then unban them. Why demand begging? Is it a power thing then?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's...odd...to see the admittance that the situation with MC thread was handled wrong by mods but still expect groveling to return.
Same as the recent thread ban above for the PlayStation forum joke. "It's not a big deal." Ok. Then unban them. Why demand begging? Is it a power thing then?

Yeah I personally wouldn't (and didn't TBH) use that particular phrase, but I don't necessarily disagree that that it was it comes off as (begging). Personally, like I say as someone who was there (I wasn't banned for a long while so I continued to make several posts that day which were not penalised) I think expecting the situation to be resolved privately is the part that I was calling naive. The now rescinded guidelines were immediately very unpopular and I don't know why you would expect a community to express disappointment in them through strictly private channels when their implementation was very public indeed.

But yeah not to derail the thread too much, don't want to comment any further beyond providing a hopefully relevant counterpoint.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Posting outside screenshots is against forum rules? Cuz.. like literally everyone has done that. Twice. I don't know who or what you're talking about outside of that and I don't care to. But seeing that is a rule is odd considering it's never been enforced. (Unless used to target people) People post outside screenshots all the time. In this thread alone there a ton of them.

There's a massive different between posting tweets or public posts from offsite on era that anyone can find and see and posting private discords conversations that very few have permission to see. There's also the fact that there's no twitter rule stating people can't share tweets offsite. There's also the fact that the discord of which the post was screenshot prohibts any taking of screenshots of posts or sharing said screenshots.

The former inherently comes with the expectation that it's public and everyone can see it and there are no expectations of privacy, the later is private and the expectations of privacy are there.

And yes it is against the rules to share private, offsite discord conversations on era. I've personally seen friends get banned for doing so on era before my time as a mod and I personally witnessed seeing people being banned for posting private conversations on era so it is enforced.

Taken directly from the TOS

Offsite Drama

We have no interest in hosting discussions that fuel drama between our community and others. This sort of metacommentary tends to be petty and unproductive. Please do not derail threads with drama about other forums and websites, do not encourage comparisons or competition with other forums, and do not create threads about them either.

Members are highly discouraged from pursuing other members off the site, and staff will generally not adjudicate disputes that happen offsite. Do not post offsite material that you suspect to be from other members, whether from social media or elsewhere, in order to attack or embarrass them. If you believe such material is of serious concern, bring it to the attention of the staff through the appropriate channels described below.

If you didn't bother to read the FAQ/TOS or simply don't care than that's not my problem.

Oct 27, 2017
This will be my last post on Era.

This site was built and maintained off the backs of so many people, so all financial gains belonging to one man is gross as fuck. I had no idea Cerium was making in the range of 700k a year off this, and to then sell it for 4.5 million is slimy.

Era really should have been a nonprofit with the proceeds going to worthy causes.

The new owners Moba look very shady and if people honestly think Era isn't due for a number of negative changes, then I don't know what to tell you. The way their other forums are managed will be this sites future. Promises to keep things as is are just to prevent a panic, Era will be changed to make it a more profitable investment for them.

The Nintendo community being pushed away really soured me on this place and pushed me away from engaging here much. I will be on Famiboards, so I may see some of you there. Just got my account set up earlier.

I was a lurker for some time on Gaf before signing up, I had not been a member long before the Exodus from Gaf to Era. I've been on Era since late October 2017, almost 4 years. Hopefully everyone can land in a place they like with this new Exodus beginning. It will likely be a much more splintered and slow one compared to the Gaf Exodus, but this time next year I expect this site to be a very different place. Probably closer to what Gaf looks like today. It's been fun, i've read some interesting things on here and this place has been fun during Direct/E3/Game Awards time getting hyped for stuff and getting to read impressions and news, but All Good Things come to an end one day. Sayonara ERA.

2560px-Thats_all_folks.svg.png

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

I'd appreciate if you didn't twist my words. I'm not currently staff and I speak only for myself and my experience and make absolutely no reference to what other staff members saw or thought or feel.

If you want to feel personally persecuted or have an axe to grind you're free to do so but I want no part of it and won't let my words be used for that purpose.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Sorry but you completely missed the point. The main issue was because of the constant trolling for member that didn't care about the actual discussion and no mod wanted to take action. The ban was the last straw.

Frankly, one of the issues with the reports against the trolls in the Media Create thread was the fact that the bulk of the reports consisted of one word:

Troll

With that much information, there's very little to work on. Additionally, the context of a history of trolling from a single post is extremely unclear, especially when the above information is all that's given. It wasn't until AFTER Chris's ban that people brought up the troll's off-site behavior. We can only work with the information we're given. We're a handful of people on a site of 50+ thousand. If you want us to do our jobs effectively, we need your help to give us actual information into what you're reporting.

I can guarantee you without a doubt that had we had that information from the get-go, that troll would have been banned a lot sooner. In fact, we're actually looking into ways we can improve the report system to help y'all provide us the information that we need to make more accurate judgements.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This site was built and maintained off the backs of so many people, so all financial gains belonging to one man is gross as fuck. I had no idea Cerium was making in the range of 700k a year off this, and to then sell it for 4.5 million is slimy.

Era really should have been a nonprofit with the proceeds going to worthy causes.

The new owners Moba look very shady and if people honestly think Era isn't due for a number of negative changes, then I don't know what to tell you. The way their other forums are managed will be this sites future. Promises to keep things as is are just to prevent a panic, Era will be changed to make it a more profitable investment for them.

The Nintendo community being pushed away really soured me on this place and pushed me away from engaging here much. I will be on Famiboards, so I may see some of you there. Just got my account set up earlier.

I was a lurker for some time on Gaf before signing up, I had not been a member long before the Exodus from Gaf to Era. I've been on Era since late October 2017, almost 4 years. Hopefully everyone can land in a place they like with this new Exodus beginning. It will likely be a much more splintered and slow one compared to the Gaf Exodus, but this time next year I expect this site to be a very different place. Probably closer to what Gaf looks like today. It's been fun, i've read some interesting things on here and this place has been fun during Direct/E3/Game Awards time getting hyped for stuff and getting to read impressions and news, but All Good Things come to an end one day. Sayonara ERA.

I don't think you or I have had much to do with each other but I've seen you around (and am also playing Persona 4 Golden rn lol) and this comment is only to say I totally get you and hope to see you around.

A lot of good people have left this site since around a month ago :(

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah...this encapsulates my thoughts about this pretty well. This place was an enormous communal effort and it selling off to a single individual for this insane amount of money gives me betrayal vibes, sort of. I won't even talk about the questionable buyer who will probably sand this place off of any good it had left in short time.

This place, for all the values it pretended to carry, should've given all extra funds from ad revenue and whatnot to charities it standed for. In the end, it was all about the fucking moolah again, little did we know.

You take care of yourself out there, hope to see you in some other forums. :D

As for myself this won't be my last post, I'll keep a foot in the door to see how things go, but I'm already widening my internet real estate, let's just say.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd appreciate if you didn't twist my words. I'm not currently staff and I speak only for myself and my experience and make absolutely no reference to what other staff members saw or thought or feel.

If you want to feel personally persecuted or have an axe to grind you're free to do so but I want no part of it and won't let my words be used for that purpose.
Do you feel persecuted because I'm not referencing you directly, thank you very much. I'm talking about the user's experience that I addressed and the mods response to it. If you was a mod involved at the time, then yeah, you. Otherwise, wtf. Lol.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Most users didn't. It's why it's extremely disingenuous and outright disrespectful to the impacted minority communities for some in here and in other threads to claim and equate the Media Create thread, it's still to be determined impact, and it's handling, to be exactly same as the Trans era, Asian era, etc... situations.

Chris didn't, you are correct. However the entire situation started because he got a ONE day ban. The hundreds of posts and increasing hostilities that followed was completely inappropriate and disproportionate. Are MC thread regulars allowed to be upset over the ban? Of course, it's not my place as a non member of said community to say how regular users of said thread should feel in regards to bans for any member of their community. However the fact remains that literally everything happened and was started because of an extreme reaction to the shortest ban length possible. So many users are banned from prominent gaming community threads, often for far longer duration's too and said gaming communities may complain of course, it's their right, but never is it ever anywhere to the extremes that happened last month.

All of that doesn't change the fact that there are many ways to directly contact staff and disagree with bans or staff decision. Many of which include reporting said post, sending in tickets, or even contacting admins or staff directly.

I won't discredit the importance of the Media Create threads on ERA and previously gaf and all the history involved, however no group or thread is above normal site rules and the fact remains that if people would have used the multiple avenues for contacting staff to express disagreement, none of what happened would have happened. I must also stress the fact that Chris, did not send in a ticket and appeal his ban himself. All the extreme reactions and posts that were made after the ban and during the entire blowup were done so by users other than Chris himself.

I wont disagree that staff reply time to tickets can unfortunately be longer than staff hope and want. However in all my time as staff I will say that I've personally never seen a user who submitted in good faith or genuinely appealed or disagreed with a ban, not get a response even if it takes quite awhile to get said response out. I can only speak for myself and what I personally saw but again that is what I saw.

Yes I absolutely agree with you on that, all those situations were different.

And it's hard for me to opine regarding what happened on the MC thread. I don't know if the reaction of the users to what happened was warranted or not :/

I can say that the issue of perceived fairness or unfairness lies at the core of most forum drama in my experience, and it's a tricky one to gauge.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Sorry to see you go and hope you will change your mind. :( We are losing some great members.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Sad and unnecessary. Always disappointing when a project genuinely built as a community leads to just one person (and now, one organization) reaping all the profits. The self-interested drive for revenue and media exposure was killing GAF long before the actual exodus occurred. I hope the same thing doesn't happen here.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, one of the issues with the reports against the trolls in the Media Create thread was the fact that the bulk of the reports consisted of one word:

Troll

With that much information, there's very little to work on. Additionally, the context of a history of trolling from a single post is extremely unclear, especially when the above information is all that's given. It wasn't until AFTER Chris's ban that people brought up the troll's off-site behavior. We can only work with the information we're given. We're a handful of people on a site of 50+ thousand. If you want us to do our jobs effectively, we need your help to give us actual information into what you're reporting.

I can guarantee you without a doubt that had we had that information from the get-go, that troll would have been banned a lot sooner. In fact, we're actually looking into ways we can improve the report system to help y'all provide us the information that we need to make more accurate judgements.
I don't want to join the pile on with a race I have no horse in but surely if you're getting a lot of reports with the same person, and the reports are not giving enough information for you to take action, then you pm one of the people who sent in a report and ask them to provide some more. Like i really hope that it wasn't a case of well we've got 20 reports about this guy but they all just say troll so we can't do anything about it.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Do you feel persecuted because I'm not referencing you directly, thank you very much. I'm talking about the user's experience that I addressed and the mods response to it. If you was a mod involved at the time, then yeah, you. Otherwise, wtf. Lol.

You were replying to a user that was indirectly replying to me and offering their "counterpoint" to my post. To try and claim you were not infact talking about me in some way, shape or form when you say "I'm talking about the user's experience that I addressed and the mods response to it" is you contradicting yourself.

And no I do not feel persecuted by you or anyone in this thread. Thank you for the concern though.

Oct 27, 2017
You were replying to a user that was indirectly replying to me and offering their "counterpoint" to my post. To try and claim you were not infact talking about me in some way, shape or form when you say "I'm talking about the user's experience that I addressed and the mods response to it" is you contradicting yourself.

And no I do not feel persecuted by you or anyone in this thread. Thank you for the concern though.
Then you was a mod that helped make the decision at the time then? If so, I get your response and it's a problem. If not, well...Have a good day.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't want to join the pile on with a race I have no horse in but surely if you're getting a lot of reports with the same person, and the reports are not giving enough information for you to take action, then you pm one of the people who sent in a report and ask them to provide some more. Like i really hope that it wasn't a case of well we've got 20 reports about this guy but they all just say troll so we can't do anything about it.

And maybe more weight is given to a prominent member of a community shouting "troll" than siding with someone outside that community who uses enough platitudes..... Just from my experience the with Cyberpunk OT omnishambles.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Can I also please take this opportunity to request that you do not misconstrue my intentions, just as you have requested someone else to do likewise to your comment(s) ITT? I was not, and did not, reply to you. I posted a general comment on the subject that was being discussed here at that point in time. I merely referenced you, and a few other users, because it was relevant to my comment/point.

If I wanted to reply to you I would have hit reply to one of your comments, which I have done once already only to be ignored. So yeah I took the hint lol.

Thank you! :)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Then you was a mod that helped make the decision at the time then? If so, I get your response and it's a problem. If not, well...Have a good day.

Did I directly have any involvement in Chris's ban, or knew of the long time troll situation in the MC threads? To the former, no. I was busy at work in a covid locked down unit when that ultimately happened and was away from era. To the latter, the answer is regrettably no. Was I a mod during the MC thread situation and contributed in some way, shape or form to mod decisions that may or may not have been made? Yes.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And maybe more weight is given to a prominent member of a community shouting "troll" than siding with someone outside that community who uses enough platitudes..... Just from my experience the with Cyberpunk OT omnishambles.

I totally get that the mods don't want to play favourites but I got to chime in and say that there were definitely missed opportunities to resolve the trolling problem in the MC threads before it came to what it did. I don't doubt there were many, many lazy/unhelpful reports but I made a comment in the constructive community suggestions or whatever thread with multiple examples of said missed opportunities. Again, it's disappointing to see that the ball is still being put in the court of the users of the MC threads even now, when I'll say it again all they wanted to do was discuss the sales of video games in Japan. They didn't want the burden to deal with trolls, I don't see why they should've been expected to do more than what they were already doing i.e. reporting them and hoping for the best. Heck I'm quite sure that mods would've endorsed that at the time, and I'd wager a lot of the last reports were just born out of frustration of earlier more detailed reports amounting to nothing.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Can I also please take this opportunity to request that you do not misconstrue my intentions, just as you have requested someone else to do likewise to your comment(s) ITT? I was not, and did not, reply to you. I posted a general comment on the subject that was being discussed here at that point in time. I merely referenced you, and a few other users, because it was relevant to my comment/point.

If I wanted to reply to you I would have hit reply to one of your comments, which I have done once already only to be ignored. So yeah I took the hint lol.

Thank you! :)

Fair enough

You're welcome! :)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This dynamic of users relitigating every little beef they've had with mods and portraying them weirdly as fascist power-hungry dictators for the way they choose to run an Internet message board about video games while simultaneously infantilizing and talking down to them in order to insist that they should want to get paid for their work of running an Internet message board about video games is just so super fucking weird.

Agreed. Many will take a ban at some point. Shit happens. Be better next time and keep it moving. Grudges are dumb.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It's not like every staff member sees every report. so even a dozen reports over a couple of weeks might be seen and consequently rejected by two dozen different people without connecting the dots.
Staff is not embedded in every community or thread and ongoing subtle trolling that is obvious to thread regulars might very well fly over our heads.
That said it does often happen that we have an epiphany along the lines of "hey, this member seems to be reported a lot, maybe we should do some digging", which we then do. But some just fall through the cracks... C'est la vie.
Its too bad that in this case that caused a massive fire to flare up with the loss of many beloved members. Obviously that was never anyone's intention.

As if we can always know who the promonent members in all of these communities are...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Mods may have faced a lot of harrassment that they absolutely have shouldn't.

That being said, it's just so sad they're still trying blame the sales era shitshow on us, somehow. CVX freak and Morrigan looked down on the community with absolute contempt. Nobody else drove away that community than the shitty moderation.

Looking at the screenshots, you're telling me they were great mods when they were specifically targeting people in the thread (namely Chris) and then rallying people in their discord to defend them? It's simply laughable.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

You'd be surprised at how many times a user is reported many times for very mild posts. Even from saying they didn't like X thing and being reported as "trolling". Also, no single mod makes decisions regarding a report, they are reviewed by multiple people, and a lot of times, different people. So yes, some times things go under the radar and is a reason we need as much help as possible.

We get hundreds of reports a day, and we're volunteers who are here as we can be. It's not feasible for us to PM users to ask for more info for every report, especially since staff might go offline and not see the PM response.

This is especially true with community threads that have their own banter and mannerisms. We literally need the assistance from the users in the first place. Help us help you

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I for 1 am glad corporate ownership is taking over. I hate how people who work in the industry are put on a pedestal here no matter how shitty their opinion is it's like Era's role is to pander to the industry and not the fans and it was all for a big payday.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
You'd be surprised at how many times a user is reported many times for very mild posts. Even from saying they didn't like X thing and being reported as "trolling". Also, no single mod makes decisions regarding a report, they are reviewed by multiple people, and a lot of times, different people. So yes, some times things go under the radar and is a reason we need as much help as possible.

We get hundreds of reports a day, and we're volunteers who are here as we can be. It's not feasible for us to PM users to ask for more info for every report, especially since staff might go offline and not see the PM response.

This is especially true with community threads that have their own banter and mannerisms. We literally need the assistance from the users in the first place. Help us help you
So there is no "There are x pending reports about this person/post" flags in the backend? I have no idea how hard/easy it is to implement this but it seems like it would be a super helpful thing for you guys to prevent another "We have reported this multiple times and the mods do not care" situations from flaring up again.

Again, no idea if that is possible though.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
As if we can always know who the promonent members in all of these communities are...
Sorry, but what is the vetting process to be a moderator in this community if the mods are not even aware that the OP of that thread has been making them on a weekly basis since 2010?

And what is even more sad is that we keep hearing stuff like "we were not familiar with that community!" but the mod that caused all that disaster was an old member of the MC community and was actually the one that made the older MC threads before Chris and yet there was a critical failure to read the situation (and also not only from him but the other people since, apparently, bans are discuses between people) and then Sales and Nintendo Era were basically gone in less than a week.

Also the constant blaming of the members of said communites... ugh.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I get your point, but you can blame the human race as a whole for this, that's how most communities acts when a power dynamic is at play, and that goes in both ways of the spectrum, both have their unhealthy tendancies. See: Workers/Managers, 'The People'/Government Officials, Students/Teachers. Rarely will you see one of these societal ideas where all of its 'inferior' members will mindlessly follow the lead, same for the 'superior' members leading by sheer, flawless good will for its community and intent, devoid of any bias or self-preservation sense.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I am a casual reader of the Sales Era thread for years and went back through the reports from the user in question and didn't think it was as clear of a pattern as people thought it was -- especially because a lot of the reports weren't helpful outside of "trolling". That's not to say we didn't make any mistakes that day. But the general assumption I've seen it "well of course you should've caught him! It was obvious!". Going back through their reports, it really wasn't super clear, and the reports themselves were sometimes less than helpful in terms of discerning a pattern of behavior. And sometimes there are reports of posts that just aren't actionable and users who regularly abuse the report system, so it also requires an extra level of context that we are trying to understand in real-time.

That doesn't mean we didn't make a mistake. But it does mean that this is a two-way street. We are doing our best. But if I come into, say, KnittingEra, a community I have no background with and am trying to discern what the actual pretext and context is of a fight between two users, all I have are report history and prior warning, plus reading the thread itself. I don't have your Discord comments on the user, to the implications from posts that weren't reported. I can only go off on the information provided to me as a mod.

Does that mean we need to have better communication between the staff and communities? Obviously. Do we need to iron out a system that fosters better communication without creating issues of it its own? Ya we do and we're working on it.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's a lot of dissonance in the broad conversation. Some of it is different posters having different views, but there is a general tone of animosity towards the mods for a bunch of mutually exclusive reasons. I don't think people really get what they're asking for with paid mods. The moment mods get paid, it will be via setting up some cheap labor in somewhere like Eastern Europe, and just wait til you see what type of rules and judgment gets passed by paid mods. Anything that ends up drawing contention or animosity is just going to get banned because the paid mods won't want to deal with it. The volunteer approach lets sub-communities get moderated from within which is generally a positive for Era, I think?

I sure have problems with some of the moderation, but I only hate some (mostly former) mods, not all of them. There's such a focus on sub-communities that there is inevitably a source of giant conflict when the standards of one community run headlong into other communities or the general group as a whole. I don't think you're going to get substantially better moderation on a general gaming forum. Good fucking luck on GameFAQs or Steam forums. Even Reddit's general gaming, series, or genre subreddits are overrun with buffoon and the batshit.

Grats on Cerium for offloading their asset at what is probably the peak evaluation. Declining userbase, decreasing prevalence of message boards, and inevitable splintering are all likely to just decrease the value over time, and I sure wouldn't want to own this place either. I'd sure rather than the money.

Sorry, but what is the vetting process to be a moderator in this community if the mods are not even aware that the OP of that thread has been making them on a weekly basis since 2010?

And what is even more sad is that we keep hearing stuff like "we were not familiar with that community!" but the mod that caused all that disaster was an old member of the MC community and was actually the one that made the older MC threads before Chris and yet there was a critical failure to read the situation (and also not only from him but the other people since, apparently, bans are discuses between people) and then Sales and Nintendo Era were basically gone in less than a week.

The mods routinely try to recruit sane members from within communities that seem to have a lack of mod representation. People aren't always interested in taking on that role, though, and there are so many diverse communities that it is difficult to get good mod coverage.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Vitriol must be immediately actioned no matter the context? But thorough reports are needed for long-established-community-thread issues? Staff called members "cunts" offsite? Still mixing mod stuff in discords?

Feeling today like this place learned nothing whatsoever from me. At least my time was paid in the amount it was apparently valued. Heyo!

(I'm not mad, don't use me in your anti-mod or anti-user crusade. But stop blaming the mods' volunteerism for the change in site direction, and stop blaming members for staff's lack of interest and involvement in community threads except when in discords).

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Honestly not everyone is interested in the weekly sales thread, I know some prominent members in some communities, and other mods will know other prominent members in other communities.... Asking us to know everything about everyone even before we become a mod seems like a tall ask.

And I'm in no way shape or form trying to lay blame for what happened at the feet of the members of said communities, I am trying to give some context as to why reports might have fallen through the cracks without anyone nefariously trying to sabotage said community.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
So there is no "There are x pending reports about this person/post" flags in the backend? I have no idea how hard/easy it is to implement this but it seems like it would be a super helpful thing for you guys to prevent another "We have reported this multiple times and the mods do not care" situations from flaring up again.

Again, no idea if that is possible though.
We do have the ability to see all of the reports logged against a user, but again, it would require a thorough investigation into each one of these to gain context. Additionally, the report system is sometimes used to unjustly brigade against users, so we need to be cautious of that as well.

Simply put, it's an extremely daunting and time consuming task to do this type of investigation on every report. Considering we sometimes get 100+ reports and tickets a day, it's just not feasible. It's why we're saying that we need your help. Providing even a small amount of context (such as "look at these posts" or "I saw this from them admitting to trolling" would make our jobs infinitely easier and help us make more accurate judgements

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia

This thread has enlighten me a lot about what it takes to be a mod and a admin. I admire your determination but the more I read this vile behaviour of toxic people I can't stop thinking that you need to get paid. I don't understand how a dude that earns 700K a year can't share SOMETHING with you.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Pretty sure I've seen people get banned for using a broad stroke to group the entire forum as a single entity. "Wow, first this forum says one thing, now it's saying another!" Guess that doesn't apply from a very specific vantage point.

Stating anything other than the community revolted and left due to the news of Evilore is revisionist history.

Honestly I think the vast majority of users just rode the exodus wave under the impression the new forum was about getting away from the "authoritaran moderation". Even king slimeball Collin Moriarty posted a congratulatory message here to that effect in the earliest days. While I'd also like to believe the world is that just, back in reality, 10s of thousands of people didn't leave Neogaf cause the owner is a creep--and only by pretty far left standards at that. I don't expect most right wingers or libertarian centrists had any problem with Evilore's behavior or commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.