• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about MOBAnet's growth. If they want to drive the entire community away, they will lose a shitload of revenue and have to work quadruple-time to make up for everyone who bailed and grow the userbase at the same time.

And here's the clincher: specialized forums aren't even that popular anymore. So if they lose all of us, they won't be able to just replace us overnight. It would take years and probably not even be fiscally viable to upkeep the site long enough to do so.

My forecast in the "MOBAnet fucks around and fires all the mods so we all leave" scenario is Era limps along for two or three years with a vastly diminished userbase while MOBAnet struggles to attract new posters, and then shutters the site when it becomes eminently clear they can never recoup their investment.

At the end of the day, the community is what matters, not the shell we're contained within.

Yeah, if people leave this place due to whatever bad move from the owner, they would have a hard time attracting new folks because anyone that isn't part of this site already hates it with a passion that I can't describe in words.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a certain level of naiveté from both users and and mods from this 🤣

Whatever tho, it's been real. I honestly used to like this site but the mod shenanigans (thread banning some guy from his own thread for meta commentary is peak era, also not the only time yall been tweaking) and other users here really soured me.

It would have been nice if you had mods actually be transparent about who did bans and why instead of appearing like some secret police that comes out and clips people in the night but with new management that is very unlikely. All this approach did was throw gasoline on an US vs them mentality that is already inherently present with Mods vs Users by default. I feel bad for the mods that are nice but this is what happens when you all hide away as a faceless mob when actions are taken.

Though I guess that would exposed some of the inherent biases here, as I've been banned several times for "having a history of console warring" when ever I said anything bad about Sony, but it was always OK when I roasted Nintendo and Xbox. (For the record, all three have a presence on my coffee table at home. I'm just vocal about the BS each of the three pull. Violent Sony has happened to been on a good roll as of late. 🤣 )

I'll probably just be back to drifting on the webs while working on my own projects in real life. Feel free to send your team at me for meta commentary if you wish.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The numbers going around are operating costs of $12K/month. Not sure how that scales to the site's activity though. A new forum with a small active community would be much less, but there is probably more cost in the beginning for development vs maint. It could probably be self sustaining pretty quickly, but getting enough users to migrate would be the hard part. The exodus from GAF worked because enough of the mods were on the same page as the users. This feels different and an exodus would probably be much more messy and just result in low user count single topic forums. They probably wouldn't reach critical mass where ads would be enough to sustain the operating costs.
Yeah... I speculated about this in a slightly earlier post - https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/post-75268146

You are most likely correct about the site maintenance and running costs...

But a bare-bones forum that has the same level of functionality as Resetera... I don't think the cost for setting up the infrastructure can be THAT much... Maybe $1000... TOPS.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine that one can scale their server costs over time... Like any "business" that relies on ad money and subscription costs.

But I don't think setting up a bare-bones forum like Resetera (minus the users that will obviously require bandwith) is all that expensive.

The cost of setting up the infrastructure should be "practically nothing" (ie less than $1000 on a good day).

I mean... the license for Xenforo (which Resetera runs on) costs $160. And all the other extras on the Xenforo site add up to $695 in total.

xenforo.com

Get started with XenForo

Choose a solution to suit your needs

So I honestly think $1000 should be sufficient for setting up the necessary infrastructure...
A small board for you and your friends can obviously run on a cheap web server you've rented somewhere for $5.
Upscaled systems like Era run on a whole different network architecture where you have to think about additional http nodes and load balancers and stuff.
That gets really pricey pretty quick.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been nice if you had mods actually be transparent about who did bans and why instead of appearing like some secret police that comes out and clips people in the night but with new management that is very unlikely. All this approach did was throw gasoline on an US vs them mentality that is already inherently present with Mods vs Users by default. I feel bad for the mods that are nice but this is what happens when you all hide away as a faceless mob when actions are taken.

Specific mods already get enough harassment as it is. Why would you want them to get even more? Mod decisions aren't done by one person, so having a "this user was banned by X" message wouldn't increase transparency, it would just put further targets on mods' backs for being the person unlucky enough to have their name on the ban-line when someone gets banned that a Discord doesn't agree with.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... I speculated about this in a slightly earlier post - https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/post-75268146

But a bare-bones forum that has the same level of functionality as Resetera... I don't think the cost for setting up the infrastructure can be THAT much... Maybe $1000... TOPS.
You will have to pay for hosting, which depending on the traffic could be a lot. $1000 setup costs doesn't mean much unless you intend to keep a site even half the size of era online for a few weeks only. The opex cost is the big item.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping on a giant bed of money is very comfortable.
200.gif

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I've rewritten this post a couple times because I can't quite talk about everything that bothers me in this thread, so I'm just gonna condense it down to this:

Maybe it's strange to say this, but this thread has lowered my opinion of the Era community more than any of the controversies. Or some parts of the community or some members, however you want to say it, but that Era does this thing, where it weaponizes morality and compassion? It's disgusting. For 30 fucking pages, Mods have come in and told people, over and over, that they feel more hurt, targeted, and exploited by the members of the community here more than they ever have Cerium, who they have nothing but good things to say about.

If you give a shit about the mods, this just doesn't track in any way. Some have said that wanting a compensation system for mods and still wanting to be critical of them is not a mutually exclusive position, and sure, fair enough, but saying that you are upset about the mods being treated unfairly while, at every point, disregarding the requests for basic decency and empathy from the mods you are speaking on the behalf of definitely fucking is. You can't do this. You can't say that you give any kind of shit about the mods and then say they're voices on their own experiences don't matter, AND THEN act all offended when they start lightly clapping back at the sheer absurdity of being told they are not accountable sources of their own goddamn experiences. Those things are not reconcilable. Either the wellbeing of the mods matters, or it doesn't. If it does, then them speaking how the community has hurt them ought to matter in some way, but every mod post has been disregarded. At best, users go "Okay, if that's fine with you, whatever" then shift towards still maintaining that Cerium is capitalist scum.

So, since I can't reconcile this rhetoric into a coherent worldview, then I have to say that this is some "The Card Says Moops" shit.

If you find this comparison to alt-right rhetoric inflammatory, you should know that the video essayist in question has always said that the Alt-right Playbook was a collection of primary kinds of arguments the Alt-right utilizes, but that doesn't mean they have a monopoly on them. The arguments he covers are modes of thinking that any group can fall into if they have an enemy that they want to attack. But I challenge anyone to watch this and say that there is a categorical distinction in the usage of this kind of argument as has been seen by this thread. When people try to argue two incompatible arguments, you look at what the argument actually seeks to accomplish, and that's the real end goal of the people making it. If you're looking at this and angry I am making comparison to alt-right rhetoric, then I hope you have an actual reason, instead of mere indignation, of why this isn't applicable to this situation.

And the worst part about this is that this is all about NOTHING. I don't think it's been pointed out by anyone, but as of yet, nothing has actually happened to the forums.

Step back for a minute here. We've been assured by all parties that MOBA has no interest changing the way Resetera works. Maybe that's untrue and once the change-over happens we'll see some interference, but as of now, nothing has happened and we have no indications anything will. Meaning all the damage, the increased ads, the monetizatized membership, the forced allowed discussion of controversial games like Hogwarts, is imaginary. Even if you're absolutely sure it will go that way, and even if you prove to be right, it's pure speculation now, and I don't think that justifies the vitriol shown here. And I say that as someone who agrees with the skepticism. It's hard to believe that MOBA won't make any demands, whatever assurances they offer, but it's asinine to say Resetera is ruined before anything has even happened.

But the primary targets of this thread, or atleast the people who've actually felt the hurt, have been the Mods. And that feels twisted because, unlike other controversies in the past where you could at least make the argument that the mods were in some way in the wrong, the mods here are, in every aspect, provably blameless. No Mod has any responsibility for what Cerium does with his website, they only help him run it, but where Cerium seems to have stepped away from this thread as soon as he posted it, it's the mods that have been here, told they were exploited, told their labor to make the site better has meant nothing, told they are happy with the arrangement they have, told their life experiences don't matter....all while they have done nothing wrong and couldn't have demanded Cerium do anything otherwise in the first place.

Is there not something extremely fucked up that it's the Mods that are being constantly disregarded and disrespected by users here....over not being paid for volunteer work that all mods I've seen speak on the subject say they accept the current arrangement of...about a business decision they have had no choice in anyway....out of a controversy about harm done to the forum experience they have not experienced because, at the moment, it has not yet happened?

And the entire time this is happening, the loudest voices always insist they have the highest ground. They were betrayed because cerium is turning his back on Era's founding principles (as if this was ever some worker co-op or some shit), that they are the ones who've been kept information from (as if they are entitled to everything pretaining to resetera), that they are the ones who care about how the mods are treated actually (as they insult and disregard them when they speak for themselves and don't conform to their narrative).

I think people have a right to be skeptical about MOBA because, at best, if they operate like Cerium said in the OP, then they will do so out of cold greed, because they just want to make money from Resetera and won't really care to interfere unless it totally goes belly-up. That's fine, but it does mean that the owner of the site won't care about it, we're just going to be another cash cow for them. But I don't think you can make that argument if you also think Cerium was this dispassionate ghoul people have characterized him as that just used ResetEra to cash in. Which is nothing like the characterization I've seen from anyone that's actually worked with the guy, and he seems to have been involved in every crisis the forums have had since it started. But it's clear he has disengaged from Resetera as a community, and not just recently, but a while back. But the response this thread has, I can't blame him. The "He will cry into his millions" meme is right, regardless of his moral character, money heals most wounds.

Still, I imagine being him and crafting this farewell letter to a community he's put this much effort into, and reading the majority of these responses. In his OP, he says Resetera has been the greatest honor of his life, and maybe that's true if he's referring to working with the mods, who seem to universally like and appreciate him. But if I were him, and I saw the community be this, then I would not think "Farewell". I'd think "Good riddance."

One thing in Final Fireworker's masterpost stood out to me.

This is perhaps the most important post in the last 2 years. Why IS the community like this? Because this isn't normal. Or, it wasn't normal, but then 2016 to present day happened, and I think this, cancelling, kind of became the default way of dealing with grievances, especially since it sometimes works. Hell, you could argue that Resetera, moreso than any leftist ideals or progressive principles, was founded as a way of spiting an asshole who wouldn't take accountability for the things he did wrong. But, somehow, that's become the primary way of dealing with problems, even when there aren't any actual problems.

That needs to change. I don't think Resetera will destroy itself like NeoGaf did for the simple reason that, unlike NeoGaf, it isn't run by a narcissist fuckface that is also heavily involved in the community. The community exploded because Evilore couldn't stand having a community that reproached him, and Resetera, as evident by this thread and many others, can. Maybe the head of MOBA is, but it won't matter unless they create an account here and start becoming involved in the community, which I doubt they will.

But Resetera will never have a healthy relationship with the moderation team if they think they can throw a fit and use them as a punching bag any time they feel like it, and moderators will be ground down into cynicism and apprehension about the community each time.

For me, controversies in the past have ranged from (imo) legitimate to (imo) overblown, but this is the first time I feel that the moderation team is being put through the ringer over nothing, nothing at all, and it is (imo) absolute bullshit.

I think this and FinalFireworkers posts are great that sum up my thoughts.

I hope this has no negative effects, but obviously can't be sure. In the meantime we need to treat the staff and mods appropriately.

Oct 25, 2017

The basic costs...Probably. But this site has been heavily customized. Looking at some of the newer, smaller forums that have spun off, it's apparent that the user experience is much better off here. That dev work isn't free (even if the volunteer input leading to the customizations was). It's obvious there were many meetings and much thought put into the "vibe" here.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A small board for you and your friends can obviously run on a cheap web server you've rented somewhere for $5.
Upscaled systems like Era run on a whole different network architecture where you have to think about additional http nodes and load balancers and stuff.
That gets really pricey pretty quick.
Thank you for that... Even though you are referring to regular running / maintenance costs.

I guess someone out there can think along the lines of Zuckerberg... Start small... Set up the forum infrastructure for $1000. Pay $5-10 per month for server costs. And then increase their monthly server costs as they draw in more users.

Just like any business... Start small...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for that... Even though you are referring to regular running / maintenance costs.

I guess someone out there can think along the lines of Zuckerberg... Start small... Set up the forum infrastructure for $1000. Pay $5-10 per month for server costs. And then increase their monthly server costs as they draw in more users.

Just like any business... Start small...

Facebook didn't start with tens of thousands of users. It started with like 300. That's the core issue here - scale isn't something you can just extrapolate based on something some other guy did almost two decades ago. Every scenario has its own pitfalls and costs.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not going to worry about imaginary worst case scenarios.

if things go awry, then people will know about it when it happens

im in no rush to jump ship because of "what ifs" - that wasn't how the last exodus occurred either - that was a fairly unique situation which is not equivalent to the current situation IMO

Last edited:

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The basic costs...Probably. But this site has been heavily customized. Looking at some of the newer, smaller forums that have spun off, it's apparent that the user experience is much better off here. That dev work isn't free (even if the volunteer input leading to the customizations was). It's obvious there were many meetings and much thought put into the "vibe" here.
I like your post... I wish there was a "like" button.

Taking what you've said into consideration... I'd argue that someone would only need $2000 to have a full-blown equivalent to Resetera that has also been heavily customised.

And one doesn't even need that much money initially...

Like I said... Start small.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Taking what you've said into consideration... I'd argue that someone would only need $2000 to have a full-blown equivalent to Resetera that has also been heavily customised.

You can start with a $2000 set-up but you won't have the users to sustain that project.

Just so you get an idea how much network infrastructure can actually amount to: I've worked 12 years ago for the biggest german free webspace provider and we've had a monthly rental fee for the hardware alone of €60.000. That didn't include traffic, services or any wages. Only the 7 server racks (42 height units) we've used for the backend. And I'm sure there a thousands of architectures that cost even more than ours did at that time.

Big scaled networks are a whole different beast than setting up some random server and having apache run on it.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
People defending a millionare that just sold out and got a 4.5 million pay check is embarrassing and sad at the same time. But funny to watch.

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely could be done. You'd just have to have a plan for being able to quickly move to enterprise level hosting if it takes off...or be okay with loosing 2 grand if it doesn't.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm with you on that, and sorry I gave the impression otherwise. Your posts read as someone lookkng for a specific answer, so figured just ask.

It's totally fair to be upset and worried about seeing the other sites and what that may mean for here.

This place has gotten me through bad moments too, though maybe it doesn't equate to what you needed this place to help you through. But really am trying to hope for the best. Went through the GAF debacle, and the people that made that place great before then have largely been around here. And if worst comes to worst, we'll make a new place together again if the means and will are there to do so.

I may not always agree with how things are approached by staff, but I know they aren't down with what mmo-champions and other affiliates are fostering and will push back where they can to keep this community intact.

Not sure if that helps since I'm nothing more than a somewhat old guard rather than staff, but hopefully it shows you're not alone in concerns and wanting to keep things intact.

See this.. this is what I want, sometimes I feel my voice is ignored while the more negative and hateful posters are engaged (if only to argue against them), and that leads to frustrations and perhaps a little spammy rabble rousing. So apologies if that frustration clouded my intention.

It is the only power I have though and if I can give an hour or so of a day to keep these thoughts fresh and relevant, so be it. Like I said I would rather we stood and fought to stay us than slink off one by one in the night as our personal lines are crossed.

Thanks for the reply ❤️

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
I think a thread should be stickied in both gaming and etcetera informing users of their new owner's problematic aspects. The users may then make informed decision whether they wants to contribute or not. You owe the community atleast that much.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I give six months before the new owner decides to hide the staff tag, and another two before they replace the entire team with an internal team that is a third of the size, full of mimimun wage mods, so they can just ban and close threads that might hurt them financially.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't know much about the mods and admins but I do sympathize with the things they have to deal with. I feel like this can be an incredibly stressful position that forces them to think about taking action on things like racist attacks and users threatening self-harm/suicide. And that's why I would've liked them to have gotten some compensation from this buyout.

That said, I don't think they're stupid for the decisions their making and I certainly won't disrespect them by calling names and whatnot.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Late to the drama and not going to go into the whole "Should mods be paid or not"-debacle, but I do want to say that this buy-out doesn't sound good. I mean, besides the links that many others have posted here about the new sister-forums in which people are freely posting blatant transphobia, discrimination and racism (which is definitely not a good sign), my experience with these kinds of corporate take-overs are never good.

I'm sure Cerium is happy with his money, and hell, I'd be too, but these kinds of take-overs pretty much always ruin the community there is because now a corporation takes over, a corporation that is probably eyeing to open up registration, that is probably going to start pushing ads more aggressively and to redefine the forum to maximize profits. I've seen this happen before with a Dutch gaming forum I used to frequent, where they also promised nothing significant would change, but the original community was essentially dead within a year because of changes pushed through by the new owner.

Looking at the websites that are part of MOBA Network, I see a very clear focus with those websites that they have fairly lax moderation, a lot of very intrusive ads all over the place, branding everywhere and a very uniform corporate lay-out. Essentially all the things that I'm happy ERA does not have and I really do not believe a word of it when Cerium says 'nothing much will change'. A group like MOBA Network does not buy up a videogame forum (lol) for 4.5m with the intention of 'not changing a thing'.

Slightly unrelated, but MOBA Network in general seems like a very random organisation to pick up ERA. How is a network that singularly seems to focus on MMO and MOBA games in any way the best fit to take over ownership of a forum that is about gaming in general (and actually is barely focused on PC gaming, but mostly prefers Nintendo, PlayStation and sometimes Xbox)?
Yeah, my biggest issues are the same. All the promises I've seen so far are around content and moderation, but that's part of it. The rest of the reasons I joined (ad policy, strategies for growth/new accounts, community ownership and transparency, general website design, the ethics that people making money off the site have) not only have not been promised, they are in direct opposition to what was in that press release. I'm not going anywhere yet, but as others have mentioned this site is important to everyone here and I'm pretty nervous about how it's going to play out longer term.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MOBAnet actively fucks around with the site, I will complain, and loudly. Everyone on Era knows how loud I am when I want to be. But until they actively start doing that, it's not worth my time to run around screaming about it.
Basically this, and it sounds like the mods feel the same way so right now it's a "wait and see" kind of thing.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
If things go wrong with this company and there's another forum migration in future, please as a community can we avoid having a sole owner again.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
So now everyone cares about mods and their well being?

Where was this "caring" when not even 4 weeks ago, hundreds of you over dozens and dozens of pages rallied together to bully, harass, and attack mods both on and off site for multiple days and posted some of the most cruel, vile, dehumanizing and harmful posts demanding all staff fired, blaming staff for everything wrong with era. Pages and pages of sharing unauthorized to share discord screenshots to attack and drag a mod that has routinely been one the main staff punching bags for many for over 4 years on this site until they finally quit. Not to mention that an additional 2 more mods are no longer mods in the aftermath of the media create threads. This doesn't even get into how over the years many other threads and situations have lauded mass amounts of viritol and resulted in further staff departures.

Month after month many users routinely call staff cops, NYPD/LAPD, fascists and so much more, often using twitter and discord as off site avenues to continue attack, belittle, dismiss and harass mods when certain threads are locked. I can't tell you how many anonymous and non anonymous tickets I've personally witnessed that was some person using a certain thread or post to write a ticket to give XYZ reason why mods are all terrible, or a user disgruntled over a recent ban using a ticket to explain that we are no different then the NYPD for giving them a 3 day console warring ban they disagree with.

Now dozens of you, many of which are chiefly responsible for the damage caused with the MC thread situation, including forcing away some of the most hardworking and active mods, are now claiming to care about mods, their well being and heath? You'll excuse me if I don't believe it.

You want to truly help and care about staff? Maybe treat them as people instead of dehumanizing them. Listen to them when they say they care about era and just are trying to do what is best. You don't have to agree with every decision made and criticism, when healthy and toxic, is perfectly fine. However every single thread or post an admin or mod makes saying to treat them with respect and that the level of hate is unwarranted and staff are human too is met with the response of "Being a volunteer doesn't mean you're free from criticism!" or just deflections and doubling down on dehumanizing staff. So again, users love to remind staff that they are volunteers when it suits their narrative and that being volunteers doesn't make anyone free of "criticism", but now users want to claim staff shouldn't be volunteers but be paid and treated better? Which is it.

I work in nursing, I see more than my fair share of combative patients and family on a near daily basis, especially with this long going pandemic now. There's one word and thing that's needed more than ever now and that's empathy. The ability to put yourself in other peoples shoes and truly care about them as a whole, the same way you'd want to be treated if you were in there place. Like I said no one is free from criticism and disagreements when non toxic are perfectly healthy, but empathy and understanding would do far more to help out staff and users alike than money or being paid ever would. I can't speak for all staff, past and present, but at least that's my personal feelings having been on staff and worked extremely hard for a long time as staff to help make this site a better place as I truly do love it and all of you. Helping a site and people I love grow and be the best it can be, that's more valuable than money to me.

Oct 25, 2017
If like, 5-6 people went in on it together it would be like the cost of a good night out on the town...

For sure! I honestly thought that's how this site started, cerium spending a couple of hundred on a license and hosting, and the Admins putting in the work getting it customized, logo, icons, bringing users over, ect. I thought it was a group effort.

Oct 25, 2017

Where was this "caring" when not even 4 weeks ago, hundreds of you over dozens and dozens of pages rallied together to bully, harass, and attack mods both on and off site for multiple days and posted some of the most cruel, vile, dehumanizing and harmful posts demanding all staff fired, blaming staff for everything wrong with era. Pages and pages of sharing unauthorized to share discord screenshots to attack and drag a mod that has routinely been one the main staff punching bags for many for over 4 years on this site until they finally quit. Not to mention that an additional 2 more mods are no longer mods in the aftermath of the media create threads.

Month after month many users routinely call staff cops, NYPD/LAPD, fascists and so much more, often using twitter and discord as off site avenues to continue attack, belittle, dismiss and harass mods when certain threads are locked. I can't tell you how many anonymous and non anonymous tickets I've personally witnessed that was some person using a certain thread or post to write a ticket to give XYZ reason why mods are all terrible, or a user disgruntled over a recent ban using a ticket to explain that we are no different then the NYPD for giving them a 3 day console warring ban they disagree with.

Now dozens of you, many of which are chiefly responsible for the damage caused with the MC thread situation, including forcing away some of the most hardworking and active mods, are now claiming to care about mods, their well being and heath? You'll excuse me if I don't believe it.

You want to truly help and care about staff? Maybe treat them as people instead of dehumanizing them. Listen to them when they say they care about era and just are trying to do what is best. You don't have to agree with every decision made and criticism, when healthy and toxic, is perfectly fine. However every single thread or post an admin or mod makes saying to treat them with respect and that the level of hate is unwarranted and staff are human too is met with the response of "Being a volunteer doesn't mean you're free from criticism!" or just deflections and doubling down on dehumanizing staff. So again, users love to remind staff that they are volunteers when it suits their narrative and that being volunteers doesn't make anyone free of "criticism", but now users want to claim staff shouldn't be volunteers but be paid and treated better? Which is it.

I work in nursing, I see more than my fair share of combative patients and family on a near daily basis, especially with this long going pandemic now. There's one word and thing that's needed more than ever now and that's empathy. The ability to put yourself in other peoples shoes and truly care about them as a whole, the same way you'd want to be treated if you were in there place. Like I said no one is free from criticism and disagreements when non toxic are perfectly healthy, but empathy and understanding would do far more to help out staff and users alike than money or being paid ever would. I can't speak for all staff, past and present, but at least that's my personal feelings having been on staff and worked extremely hard for a long time as staff to help make this site a better place as I truly do love it and all of you. Helping a site and people I love grow and be the best it can be, that's more valuable than money to me.

Is this a gaming side thing? I for one have no idea what you're referring to.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the concern by regular users of this forum for how much the owner made, unless I missed posts about people being cheated out of promised money?

The migration from Gaf was quite simply astounding with how it was coordinated and executed.

The end end result from that and the work of the backend/mods team is this forum that is used by many, it could have easily gone sideways and flopped.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
People defending a millionare that just sold out and got a 4.5 million pay check is embarrassing and sad at the same time. But funny to watch.

All the "from my point of view, the userbase is evil!" takes in response to suggestions that Cerium share a small portion of his wealth with the people that made said wealth possible is also sad.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be hitting those who bought into the echo chamber the hardest.

For the rest of us, I don't see how it's going to impact our use of this site.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sure that when Cerium et al scrambled to put ERA together, Cerium actually had to front more than $10k for the setup of everything and to keep everything sustained, and that was with a motivated army of community organizer, mods, and technical specialists helping out.

It'd be amazingly hard to redo that, and probably really likely that anyone trying will just eat massive losses or have their forum die in obscurity as it gets annoying to maintain a domain name and pay meagre server expenses.

Anyway, I don't really feel like ERA will go anywhere for a while. It will probably continue trucking on while hopefully some of the more dramatic or incendiary members chill out or leave for their own mental health.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For sure! I honestly thought that's how this site started, cerium spending a couple of hundred on a license and hosting, and the Admins putting in the work getting it customized, logo, icons, bringing users over, ect. I thought it was a group effort.
Honestly... Even if everything was paid for (including the customisation), I still think that the whole thing would only have cost around $2000.

Running the forum however... Including server costs... That's a totally separate thing altogether.

But, yeah... Initial set up costs wouldn't be more than around $2000. Tops.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018

Where was this "caring" when not even 4 weeks ago, hundreds of you over dozens and dozens of pages rallied together to bully, harass, and attack mods both on and off site for multiple days and posted some of the most cruel, vile, dehumanizing and harmful posts demanding all staff fired, blaming staff for everything wrong with era. Pages and pages of sharing unauthorized to share discord screenshots to attack and drag a mod that has routinely been one the main staff punching bags for many for over 4 years on this site until they finally quit. Not to mention that an additional 2 more mods are no longer mods in the aftermath of the media create threads. This doesn't even get into how over the years many other threads and situations have lauded mass amounts of viritol and resulted in further staff departures.

I do not understand this schtick. This happened with sales era fiasco and is happening here. Why are you so insistent on just blame shifting without addressing the actual issue? Every thing happened in MC chronicles is purely on few mods and trolls. Mods banned people without doing their due resarch and then badmouthed the community on discord. These people in the community are not people too? they don't deserve respect? it is ok to talk shit about them and making fun of them because they are lowly users? The ironic thing is that community was doing far more to resolve the situation than the Mods and an action of the mod damned it all to hell. That discord post was posted in response for banning a poster for something they said about another user on twitter, it was fair game right?. You have to understand that most of the user here don't hate the mods, they are just frustrated with their lack of understanding and opaqueness. You want proof? see how many communities left Era.

This kind of "No you are the actual evil!" does not help anyone. You need to talk to users and understand what they want. Blaming them will only increase the pent up anger towards the people in charge. I understand there are some posters who do not act in good faith and just want to stir up shit, but this still does not invalidates the other users who have genuine misgivings with the staff.

For the sake of both the site and staff i hope the team do better.

Deleted member 10416

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does anyone know how to set up a preferred pronoun on our new sister site HEARTHPWN.com? i'm trying to get signed up but i can't find it.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely do not believe that a single one of the people chiding him would show their face if they were actually in his position.
There is nothing for him to say which he has not already stated in his OP. People just want him to show himself so they can tar and feather him.

Status
Not open for further replies.