• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this has been asked and answered, but I don't see a threadmark for it and I don't have time to scan 49 pages... will the moderation policies remain similar? There have been a lot of allegations made against publishers/developers of games the new owner seems to be indirectly invested in. Will posts that are dismissive of those allegations still be as tightly moderated?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It came up in a thread that was locked in the general forum, but...

GDPR's "right to erasure" / "right to be forgotten," is generally over personal, identifying information, and it is not blanket guarantee that everything that you've ever added to a site can be deleted. Particularly content on a forum like this, like post content, post history, and so on, would usually not fall under GDPR. If you've added personally identifiable information to posts, it *could* but as long as the website offers a way for you to manually remove that data, it's in compliance. So, for instance, if you posted 10,000 times, and one of those posts contained your name and email address, it's not up to the website owner to scour your 10,000 posts, but as long as the owner provides you the ability to edit the post and remove that information, then it's generally considered in compliance.

Private Messages are another issue, and GDPR usually does not cover private messages that you've sent to another person. So, for instance, if you've PMed someone your address for a buy/sell/trade, it's not up to the website owner to go in and scrub those buy/sell/trade PMs for you. Another factor around "personal identifying data" is if you posted something that you think is identifiable, you delete the post, but someone quotes your post before you edit it, those are individual cases and the right to erasure is "not absolute," so it might not qualify. If your name is part of your username and someone writes it in a post, "Hey JohnSmith123, that's a great video you posted," that usually will not qualify. Sometimes the site might scrub it for you if you're in good standing, but it's usually not blanket protecting like that.

Personal Data - General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

The term ‘personal data’ is the entryway to the application of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Only if a processing of data concerns personal data, the General Data Protection Regulation applies. The term is defined in Art. 4 (1). Personal data are any information which are...
you are wrong, right to be forgotten embrace your work and stuff you did in public like videos etc, and that involves messages in a public board, its not a private messaging app so your comparison is not right, and even then the message app will delete your messages in their server but the other person will have it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
lmao, that's not why he turned it down. he turned it down because his ego loved being a site owner and thought he could continue generating revenue at its pace at that time and would be worth MORE than 10m.

I love that people think that folks who admin/own forums are doing it for the good of the community. hah.
Exactly. Let's not get carried away here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I assume this has been asked and answered, but I don't see a threadmark for it and I don't have time to scan 49 pages... will the moderation policies remain similar? There have been a lot of allegations made against publishers/developers of games the new owner seems to be indirectly invested in. Will posts that are dismissive of those allegations still be as tightly moderated?
Nothing is changing on the moderation front. We still have full control of moderation policies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nothing changing. Era can continue and do what it wants.

jess rox

Banned
Sep 22, 2021
Can't one of our resident witches cast some kind of spell to make this all go away?

Like a spell of undoing? Something like that?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4LaWv.gif

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think anyone outside admins, mods and the site owner have a horse in this race.

Whoever made money, it really doesn't change every individual posting here. I mean if you were paying for ad free version, that's on you. Lol

So I really don't win or lose anything. Also mods have known what they signed up for. All this shade throwing at Cerium is lame. I mean past and current mods are saying he was there during hard times and did help them. That shit happened in the background as it should. We don't know every little thing that went down or why the other admins decided to sell their share. (Was that really a thing or hearsay? Like they each put money to put this site together or something?) Anyways whatever happened, they all decided to give him full control. Either they wanted to not deal with day to day stuff or whatever. They weren't force to let go of their share.

I guess the real question is whether or not the Admins ever had a share to begin with. It was implied at the beginning that Cerium was getting the tech worked out and floated some cash for the hosting and to get the site up and running, and the other Admins put in time hashing out the rules and bringing their communities over in an orderly fashion. I was under the impression that the Admins had a share in the IP from their time commitment even if they didn't have a monetary investment. If that was never the case, then it sucks, but in a way it's on them for not being more vocal about Cerium taking all of the financial credit for their hard work. If they did have "shares" and sold out, I guess that's on them as well. So yeah...I'm convinced that Cerium isn't the bad guy here, just disappointed that the founding community members let it consolidate so easily under one person.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
We all know things will change quickly the moment moderation makes another community enter meltdown mode and then those users report them to MOBA and they see the lowered traffic/activity.

I mean, from what I remember is not like this forum is in a better place than it was when it started which is pretty sad.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
You seemed to think that:

a) poor responses and decision-making
and
b) Cerium involvement

...must be mutually exclusive, rather than contributory.

Seems he has helped shape this community, who moderates, and how it's moderated. I don't know Cerium well. But I do remember him posting some heinous shit back on the previous forum while he was active. I am not surprised that this is the result. Just because he was the one making the money doesn't mean he was any more capable of (or genuinely interested in) achieving this forum's original vision.
Yeah….
Can't one of our resident witches cast some kind of spell to make this all go away?

Like a spell of undoing? Something like that?
I tried to summon my Persona. Even she can't rewind time.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
lmao, that's not why he turned it down. he turned it down because his ego loved being a site owner and thought he could continue generating revenue at its pace at that time and would be worth MORE than 10m.

I love that people think that folks who admin/own forums are doing it for the good of the community. hah.

That is a fair point, Neogafs height was probably pulling a million or more in revenue annually. Still, very few people would turn down $10 million. The ego is perhaps the more salient point.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I had always hoped the site would've figured out a way to be owned by the users. I don't like the idea of it becoming a product, and my memory of acquisitions destroying communities I'm a part of stretches back almost twenty years.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Does this MOBA network already have my data (email etc.)?

I'm not a fan of giving some company I never heard of my private data.

gdpr.eu

Everything you need to know about the "Right to be forgotten" - GDPR.eu

Also known as the right to erasure, the GDPR gives individuals the right to ask organizations to delete their personal data. But organizations don’t always have to do it....

make a GDPR compliant deletion request for Resetera and all MOBA affiliated sites. MOBA has 30 days to comply with that request, if not:
The EU GDPR sets a maximum fine of €20 million (about £18 million) or 4% of annual global turnover – whichever is greater – for infringements.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
They also knew they'd generate real cash on the back end as someone who was in these discussions. Look like I like Nicole, but everyone in that one discord that had a rep from all the splintered discords during the in between knew it was gonna be a money generator long term.

Even if they knew exactly how this would play out WRT the site blowing up financially, that doesn't mean they can't revisit the terms of their commitment to the site once it did. If the project grows, they should reevaluate what that means for compensation. Era is simply not the same thing that it was when these people volunteered.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i find it odd that a company that is focused on esports and runs mostly tools/guide sites, each with a generic forum of their own (all of whom seem very dead) is interested in a community/website like resetera. I don't understand what the "best match" here is

so a community-driven project to build a new forum/community was sold out from under its feet to a random company, as soon as they are unhappy with the forum, they can nuke it or sell it off again

At least you owe the community the up front truth and have the balls just to say you had the opportunity to sell the site for 4.5 million instead of this announcement

If their other sites are mostly dead then isn't it obvious, Era is consistent revenue and maybe they'll morph or expand it into something else like EraWow, EraCOD etc. and the forum just sort stays as it is or turns into a mega forum for every community and subject. I think the Era brand might be a thing.

Oct 27, 2017
This board was rife with talk against internships, for minimum wage hikes, against corporate and individualistic greed. The chips are down now, mods and users were essentially working for free to build value for one individual, who will not return that to either the users, the mods, or any of the charities this board directs users to all the time. When it was time to put his money where his mouth was, the boss chose to take the money and run. And the folks left behind now have to rationalize why it's perfectly ok for all of this to have happened exactly the way it did.
This!

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This board was rife with talk against internships, for minimum wage hikes, against corporate and individualistic greed. The chips are down now, mods and users were essentially working for free to build value for one individual, who will not return that to either the users, the mods, or any of the charities this board directs users to all the time. When it was time to put his money where his mouth was, the boss chose to take the money and run. And the folks left behind now have to rationalize why it's perfectly ok for all of this to have happened exactly the way it did.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes I appreciate all of the love and well wishes I get every day on this site.
I didn't join up expecting to make any money, I wanted to help make this place decent.

But why continue doing it for free for a for profit company? This entire community is united in the "make sure you get paid" when it comes to labor as evidenced by the multiple threads over the years.

I can understand doing it under Cerium and help foster a new community with the new ideals after the migration. But now you're doing it for a multi million dollar company, and ultimately just making sure engagement levels are steady. Or by their wording in the announcement, going up.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going anywhere. I'm too familiarised with people in here to start over in a new place.

Don't you ever fucking ban me again tho. 👺

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Oh yes I appreciate all of the love and well wishes I get every day on this site.
I didn't join up expecting to make any money, I wanted to help make this place decent.
We all know none of you guys ever expected any money, and I at least respect that. I think his post is more towards, this dude just banked 4.5m off that volunteer work. If you've got no qualms with that, cool that's just what I think he was asking

Less "did you want paid" more "are you still okay with that now that this just happened"

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I can only imagine he saw the stagnant user numbers, and thought might as well sell high. Inconsistent irrational moderation and email gatekeeping didn't do this place any favors.

I wish forums were more abundant. I'm not a huge fan of discord for discussion. Old man yelling at clouds here, but I miss the days of the passion projects and community building on the internet. The geocities/angelfire small websites with shitty boards/beseen chats without worrying about corporations and all that.
Off topic but I've always being curious. Are you the same Kamek from Vandal foros?

Status
Not open for further replies.