• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo

Didn't see this post before, just wanted to say this is a great recap of everything.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
I go whichever way the wind blows but I do think it would be fun if everyone left and set up another forum just for the banter.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Since it's come up a lot, I just wanted to mention that we did discuss this with MOBA Network and they were emphatic that they are not in the user data business and never will be. They're not going to sell your data. Nothing is going to change about how your data is handled and protected.
Thank god. Now I feel safe.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah uhhhh about that

if Era cleared $700k last year, good chance Evilore has earned a lot more than 4.5 million over the 15 or so years GAF has been around, even after the major decline of the last four years. He turned down bigger paydays, which tells you he certainly made livable money and that for him it was always as much about the power and ego as the money (surprise surprise from an abuser)
Yeah. The other website was big for well over a decade. I do remember he had expensive cars etc. I am sure the website way smaller today but I am sure he amassed enough wealth where even if the website went under he would be just fine if he invested his cash. So people posting about how he cares about any of this is funny. The guy is too busy living the high life to care about what a forum poster thinks.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
well that's a sign the end is coming. i don't care what is said...you don't spend $4.5 million just to "keep the lights on". MOBA (or any other business) doesn't spend millions for nothing. They expect to see a profit so things will change. Maybe not now or in the immediate future but it'll come.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
yeah, ya think? there are ads out the ass if you don't use an adblocker on desktop. There's apparently a New World skin, there are banner ads at the top and bottom of every page, there are ads mid-thread, and there's a giant fucking footer begging you to subscribe to the ad-free site.

abwFA2I.png
What, is that real??
This is what it looks like for me:

era.png

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The true litmus test for me will be how the wizard game (you know the one I'm thinking about) is going to be handled here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The stakes were $4.5 million, and I lost.

Damn, that's a good point.

I always judged these people who post the shit on twitter of "TWITTER OWES ME $2400, What's your Twitter Account Value," stuff, but.... I'm gonna start making demands on value soon.

Of course jokes on me, my long posts just shit up the SEO of any thread and make it less relevant for advertisers.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly I'm a little bit surprised by the negativity here. Like, okay, Resetera has a new owner. I highly doubt that things are gonna change much in the grand scheme of things and if they do then so be it

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, history of severe infractions
1. Cancel Tyler.
2. Create a site full of his site's members.
3. Go even woker.
4. Sell all your assets and member information to a toxic MOBA Community investor.
5. Profit.

It's really pretty smart. Enjoy the shitty site everyone!

LET'S GO BRANDON!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I get that, and I largely appreciate the effort by moderation outside of some oversteps in the past that caused issues.

But there is some pretty big disconnect there when the site they helped shape and foster is sold for millions and they have been working for free. I feel like we shouldn't be asking for community volunteers to work unpaid if we have been generating as much revenue, mods helped make this community and keep it safe, they deserve some reward.
That's the thing, I think from posts here we can see they don't care, and as mentioned a paid position has drastically different implications, responsibilities and even legal ramifications from a volunteer positions. People seem incredulous that mods aren't outraged at not getting paid like they didn't know exactly what they were signing up for

Like if mods want pay - and let's not even entertain Cerium giving them money, he's gone - this is their time to negotiate for it, but that's up to them

I would have presumed the other owners were the leads building the site from the start but if not, do we really not know, were they even from GAF, non forum members investor friends of Cerium?

Feels like something we probably should've known lol, but we never got more than "ERA is an LLC"

Yeah, I don't know if people remember, but Evilore barely ever actually posted, and when he did it was about his international vacations and expensive excursions and all sorts of other "high roller" bullshit. (That or picking fights with random users as a power trip.) Guy was, and probably still is, rolling in it, and I'm sure he gets more satisfaction out of being "the owner of NeoGAF," diminished cesspool it's become, than the bonus he's get cashing out.
Yeah everyone there loves him now. He probably isn't making much, but he still gets to make a living off posting on a forum where he gets treated like a king

I remember he made a post years before everything blew up which was basically him bragging about sexually assaulting a woman and when people called him out, the thread and the posters got erased. Not locked or deleted, just completely disappeared. I've seen it happen on Era too (i believe given reason was moved to a private forum for moderation)

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah uhhhh about that

if Era cleared $700k last year, good chance Evilore has earned a lot more than 4.5 million over the 15 or so years GAF has been around, even after the major decline of the last four years. He turned down bigger paydays, which tells you he certainly made livable money and that for him it was always as much about the power and ego as the money (surprise surprise from an abuser)
I completely agree with this; GAF was certainly a lot more valuable and brought in a higher pay-cheque than ResetERA ever did, and but I think the underlined is overly cynical.

I think it's much more likely that the reality was that after having put 5+ years into a forum and playing a key role in shaping the community and driving the forum's growth (e.g. retaining minimal ad support even though more ads, such as what ResterERA has, would have brought in larger revenue, making strict moderation choices and sticking to growth-limiting policies [significant ban volumes, limiting membership], etc.), and building a collection of industry posters, he cared more about building upon that than selling it to a faceless corporation and killing the community which he'd built for a pay-cheque and completely checking-out. In terms of data alone, there's likely still far more value there than here (triple the membership count with a huge data mining opportunity in regards to 15+ years of historic posting data) even if the overall growth and activity is likely smaller than here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Cerium made out like a bandit that's for sure, but I'm more interested in the long term effects of this sale. I absolutely, truly do not buy the idea that 'not much will change' - changes will definitely happen, slowly at first, but gradually. And there won't be any more transparency than there is now, less even given the corporate buyer.

Right, changes will happen. It won't be immediate, but it's entirely likely the advertisements will really take over in time. IMO, it is what it is. I've had problems with the ads here before but for the most part they're less obtrusive than most other gaming forums or wikis that I stumble on. Like, when I search "where are red foxes in RDR online" and end up on a gaming forum or gaming wiki, it's just dominated with a thousand auto-playing ads or distractions, and so I assume this site will end up going in that direction over time.

I'm really impressed to read that the site generated $700,000 USD in ad revenue/year..... That's much higher than I was expecting. I was always expecting a sort of break-even on costs, and not knowing how much the developers are paid that might not be very much, but it's more than I was expecting.

I'd say you're doing God's work then 🤝 Era wouldn't be the same without your posts.

As resident neolib capitalist, I've been working to take this shit down from the inside for years 😄

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this. Will be requesting account deletion. Cerium made out like a bandit Jesus. Some of the most opportunistic shit I've ever seen.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Were any of the site policies put forward towards the MOBA guys, like, are they still happy with the sites choice to ban talk of the upcoming Harry Potter game for example?

I'm just wondering if there are guarantees that the sites mods still have final say over those kind of things or if management can overrule them

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I just want an active cool place to discuss videogames without having to worry about my data and worrying about corporate deals for threads etc.

Is that so hard?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This will significantly change the dynamics around here.

If someone is planning on migrating again kindly send a DM.
Several forums have been created since the exodus actually where posters here already posted them. And to be honest I seriously doubt a big number of posters will leave the forum because selling is not the same thing as finding out the owner is sexually assaulted someone.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The true litmus test for me will be how the wizard game (you know the one I'm thinking about) is going to be handled here.

With a business expecting a return on investment I cannot imagine them ever making a stand against such intellectual property again, and would not be surprised to see it become fair game for discussion, possibly 2077 coming back in time for a next gen re release. Thats a ton of engagement to profit from.

A sponsored OT + ads through the ass for it probably.

Would not be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.