• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo

This. Lol.

Honestly might just stop posting here after this news. Yuck.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I guess what is bugging me was, was it necessary to sell to a corporation? Was there nobody willing to step on and take on the duties of keeping the site running? Yes, it was a big payout, but it also seems like the site was making pretty damn good money right? And let's say it had to be sold for whatever reason, was it ever offered to anyone from the community to raise the capital needed to keep this independently owned?

We don't know the talks that went on behind closed doors regarding staff and mods. We know they knew about it in advance but other than that nothing. Could well have been offered around to staff/mods/admins and no one could afford it (because why sell for less than what you could make in a few years by doing nothing?). And I doubt even if a community fund raiser was held we could get the money to co-op own the place.

We also don't know anything about Cerium's personal life so all the mental toil etc could be unrelated to this place and just personal stuff that this place was just adding to in the background. Or could be just a way to get sympathy for selling. We have no way of knowing and just have to trust what we've been told so far.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Quick!, lets make another forum were we agree to all get paid when someone wants to buy our user activity.

Shit, if it weren't for us, news site would have 80% less content and user traffic.

This guy already got paid and ran for it. Us members are the true value of this site.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
It's probably a good time to sell, the forum has been on the decline. So much discussion has been stifled and so many good users have been banned, not because they did anything wrong, but because they had a different opinion from the majority. The ETC forum in particular has become extremely toxic, I barely open it anymore.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know the talks that went on behind closed doors regarding staff and mods. We know they knew about it in advance but other than that nothing. Could well have been offered around to staff/mods/admins and no one could afford it (because why sell for less than what you could make in a few years by doing nothing?). And I doubt even if a community fund raiser was held we could get the money to co-op own the place.

We also don't know anything about Cerium's personal life so all the mental toil etc could be unrelated to this place and just personal stuff that this place was just adding to in the background. Or could be just a way to get sympathy for selling. We have no way of knowing and just have to trust what we've been told so far.

I have zero sympathy for multi millionaires.

He will never have to work another day in his life. He's going to be fine, I think.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We all knew from the start this was going to happen that someone was going to get a payday to whomever poll the largest user base to their own forum board.

My feelings are mute at the moment, we came out from a toxic environment from the previous board so finding a new home and assist facilitating the move for the B/S/T thread to Resetera was priority. It's good to have a new home at the time but then again, I would of like to see this forum being run as a collaborative effort than ruled by one....

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's probably a good time to sell, the forum has been on the decline. So much discussion has been stifled and so many good users have been banned, not because they did anything wrong, but because they had a different opinion from the majority. The ETC forum in particular has become extremely toxic, I barely open it anymore.

Nope. It is incredibly rare that a person gets banned on Era for having a "different opinion."

Care to give examples of some of these opinions you speak of if it's as common as you say?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
One other interesting wrinkle is that any group like this that buys a forum needs all their destinations running on a common technical platform to reduce costs, so expect to see Era shift on to the same platform as their other sites (eesh) or those sites to move to Era's platform, which will mean little technical development here for some time while fixes and sticking plasters for those sites are applied.

I'd note that this issue specifically destroyed the Newsarama forums when they were acquired.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if there is an exodus at some point or the owner walked away, the same thing would probably happen most likely.

It's just inevitable really. Watching forums die out and Era standing high was great, I love this place but no doubt it won't be around forever and an exodus may never happen, one day we will just go our separate ways or blink, miss the new boat.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_okblpveg9I1u6w1edo1_500.gifv

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
ngl, i'm losing my shit at all the LEFTIST VIDEOGAME FORUM posts in here you'd think this forum would be some legit Leninists when it's just performative rainbow capitalism for the most part

As overlord of the Performative Rainbow Capitalist Local 1401, I agree with this.

ResetEra has neeeever been some den of leftism, we're definitely a predominantly liberal American-European forum, and the makeup of the forum permits more leftist opinion than there would be if this was a general cesspit of internet political kalaidoscope. The political makeup of the community is similar to that of the American Democratic party, which is to say, liberal, with more left leaning elements and more center leaning elements, and little tolerance -- appropriately -- for contemporary American "conservatism," whatever conservatism even if these days.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

He will never have to work another day in his life. He's going to be fine, I think.

He was already pretty well off from what i heard so that was alwas a given. Money goes where Money is and so on.

Anyway Congrats to him.

Last edited:

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care about the sale itself, but I always thought that Era is generating just the right amount of money to maintain the site along with some seasonal updates. Also the messaging for Era Clear is now funnier in hindsight.

Directly support the community* you love

As an Era Clear subscriber you can retain the cleanest possible browsing experience while taking pride in giving something back*.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra statement: Not much will change!

MOBA statement: Great potential for growth! *snickers in businessman*

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So seeing as moderation pay seems to be a topic of interest I thought I would share my thoughts on it.

Firstly: The discussion and resulting decision as to whether mods should be paid was had way back when, before I became a mod. I have only heard tidbits of arguments for and against that were discussed at the time, some of them have been discussed in this very thread. I won't comment on said discussion and decision, as I wasn't in the room at the time. Every mod will have their own view on things and opinions on the matter.

That said, I have been thinking the last half an hour while reading this thread whether I personally would want to be paid for this gig. To be honest, I am not sure.
In a masochistic way I enjoy some of the mechanical aspects of moderation working through reports & tickets, banning bigots and such. I can do these things in my own time at my leisure. If I feel like it I can spend an hour doing it, or I can just stay offline for two weeks on end without anyone breathing down my neck.
Personally I have not really been involved in any of the big community fires that have flared up, for one because I was never part of the belligerent parties and I rarely visit the forum after hours and rather spend my nights blissfully sleeping. Now if I was paid I would feel much more obliged to be hands on in those very, very tense and stressful moments, maybe even be on call for when these fires start as opposed to just modding on my own time.
I never really gave it much thought, but it was obvious to me someone is making some money off the forum, I had and have no idea how much that is or where exactly that money goes.
Now moving forward it's not an individual making money off the site but a listed company and I do honestly feel conflicted about it. I am not really sure yet whether I will draw a conclusion from that as to my time on staff or not. At the end of the day I don't expect my day to day interaction with the site to be impacted by the sale but it does potentially feel different to volunteer for a corporation as opposed to an individual, though I am not sure if it should make a difference?
I volunteer for other things in life too, and in many of those I am sure some people in the organization get paid for what they do. It's well established that non-profits, charities and such have high paid executives and that a shockingly large part of the money they rake in goes to the bureaucracy as opposed to the causes they profess to champion. Does that mean it's a wasted effort to volunteer for causes that are still in and of themselves worth while?
As for Era, I am here to volunteer for the community, not for Cerium's bank balance, that was true when I started, it was true yesterday and as of now it is true after the sale too...
So would I want to be paid, I still don't know.
If it was just some pocket money it would honestly feel insulting. If it was a full time job I doubt I would pick it over my actual regular rather stress free 9-5 for one of those faceless corporations. Maybe if it was hourly, but honestly I would not want to have to clock in and out to visit Era.... On balance I probably prefer the option of just tuning out Era and the staff discord whenever I feel like it.

Thanks for volunteering, but I will also point out that the community would benefit from a moderation team that didn't have the ability to drop out for two weeks at a time or tune out the site whenever they feel like it. Of course, the only way to get around to that would be to make it a regular houred job. But also, by being strictly volunteered, good, free, moderation is precious enough that the ownership didn't really have the leverage to demand you mod regular hours.

The volunteer model was natural for a small, independent site, but now Era is part of a large network. Large enough that you could probably even unionize.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I doubt people could have gathered together almost 5 million bucks but to me like, if you're already at never work another day in your life money you might as well start prioritizing moral choices, could have sold for less and still never have to worry about money again, once you get past a certain point it's like what's the difference but I say that as someone who lives pretty frugal. To me if the choice is between never having to work again and trying to keep the site independently owned and never having to work again and selling to a corporation it would just be hard to pick the latter.

Cerium was always very cool to me and I don't want to make it seem like he's a bad person or anything, I don't believe that, just when big sums of money get involved shit gets messy

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Oh my

that sweet sweet data

people wear their emotions on their sleeves here

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else fronted all of the costs/risks for this forum to exist, there should be no feeling of ownership or entitlement of this forum other than the damn person that paid to keep the lights on. You all drive me wild sometimes. Yes it doesn't exist without us but it was a zero risk/zero reward for us to be participants. We also have NO idea of how profitable it became and when. Era-Clear introduction could have still been during tough times when other people were selling their stakes (they had a reason to sell their stakes...).

re Community Re-settlers: did a great job but it wasn't THAT much work in the grand scheme of things to hand out invites in Discord channels. I understand it was a few sleepless nights, but that doesn't earn you a share of the forum.

re Mods: can you imagine the thread and the shit-show that would ensue if there was a post saying "Our mods are now being paid," I guarantee the forum would revolt due to recent incidents and start thinking mods were only going to do the bidding of the owner or the major advertisers

Ya'll can't have your cake and eat it too, sorry.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
It is my honest belief that this arrangement is the best way to secure the future of the site, to give it the kind of safety net that I can't on my own, without sacrificing anything that makes the site what it is. My time as the owner of ResetEra has been one of the greatest honors of my life. I would never give it up without knowing that it will be in good hands.
🤣 🤣 🤣

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

Of course. And I'm just saying we don't know wtf is going on with the guy as he's basically a ghost that haunts the resetera attic. We don't know why he decided to sell it, why now, were there any other offers or anything else. Could be dying of cancer or could just want a fat stack of cash to do whatever they feel like with.

Either way, they owned the place they can do what they like with it. The owner selling it and getting paid doesn't directly affect me (yet) so I'm still waiting and seeing. Also no one so far has turned up anything awful about the new owners so I don't see a reason to jump ship like I did last time when it turns out the owner was a sex pest.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
How do you feel about the possibility (reality?) of taking a paying job from someone who wouldn't work for free?

Wouldn't it be possible to get paid through some kind of agreement with the owners, donation system, etc and still work for the userbase?

I'm gonna link Rover's post because I think they expressed best the issues of working for free:
If the site moves in that direction, I wouldn't stand in the way of someone getting a pay check, however skeptical I'd be of it being a move that would be better for this community.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine soon people will be able to sign up with public email domains, since ad revenue is the major focus of the acquisition if MOBA's intentions in the press release are anything to go by. If so, that will definitely change the discourse held on the forum.
Yes, in light if a declining userbase this actually sounds like an easy move for the new owner to increase the userbase.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am cautiously optimistic.

Also, congrats on the payout. You played this flawlessly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It is incredibly rare that a person gets banned on Era for having a "different opinion."

Care to give examples of some of these opinions you speak of if it's as common as you say?

I don't think people get banned for "different opinion," but I think bans are given too quickly without knowing the facts about a discussion. Good example is the Alex Morse sexual impropriety thread from 2020. The first page of that was a graveyard of accounts (I mean, not literally, but like 3 or 4 bans from it) for people doubting the initial story or challenging the merits of the "allegations" against him (which weren't legitimate allegations in the end, a mix of homophobia, political bull shit from some college-aged morons). And then they were all vindicated as being right, but none of those bans were ever, like, retroactively restored or anything. 200 posts and a couple weeks later the entire narrative had shifted.

But the other persons' point about the forum being in decline is right, to me, and it's a damn good time to get anything out of it. I'm still surprised how much money there is in a community like this. I would have thought a sale might be worth a few hundred thousand, not in the millions. There's no new membership over the last ~24 months, we're going on about zero growth this year, and that's usually not a good thing. There's still some carry-over policies from Gaf, like restricting new member registrations, that IMO make zero sense but it's just "The way things were done over there, and so it's the way things must be done here."

I imagine soon people will be able to sign up with public email domains, since ad revenue is the major focus of the acquisition if MOBA's intentions in the press release are anything to go by. If so, that will definitely change the discourse held on the forum.

The site should have never restricted registrations, at least after the first 6 months or so. It's just one of those dumb old policies from Gaf that we've carried over and pedagogically held to it for no good reason.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You get the point. Pretending this forum isn't at the least left leaning is just weird.
It's left-leaning as a community, sure, but in no way does that preclude that 1. the owner can have leftist sympathies while still having wealthy class interest and 2. that Resetera as a website exists as a capitalist structure (in that it is a kind of privately owned property) and exists on the same capitalistic internet other websites do. Idk, even when Resetera was owned by multiple people, there was never an implication that it was a fucking co-op or some shit.

And if we're being honest, to most people, to the average user, "left-leaning" seems to largely come in forms of social values, in that you are punished for bigotry here with harshness you don't expect from other places. This is a forum where capitalism is criticized, but there always seems to be much greater ferver over people saying shitty things that reflect on poor social values, and less so on the fraught economic systems in society.

I'm not saying that this doesn't make us 'truly' left leaning, but to point out that 'leftism' means a lot of different things to a lot of different people, some of them with very poor understandings of leftist ideology, as well as some people who may not be leftist at all, as well as the natural inconsistency that is human behavior where people might sometimes say contradictory things.

All this to say that we're primarily a community with values that can be broadly called leftist, but we all live in a capitalist system, the website has always been someones private property, and that has been clear from the very beginning. Saying this site was founded on some kind of worker co-op is revisionist fanfiction.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
People, please, give me a ring when it's time to jump ship.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.

<3

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs

Bravo
It really is something to read it out like this.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad there's no alternative to Era, not a fan of communities like this not being independent and being beholden to parent companies.

Let's see how this plays out but initial reaction is very negative.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
So many people upset the site wasn't run like a socialist worker cooperative lol

Why not start one of your own? Maybe because it's really hard and carries a lot of risk? Oh…

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.
Always sending you love.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone else fronted all of the costs/risks for this forum to exist, there should be no feeling of ownership or entitlement of this forum other than the damn person that paid to keep the lights on. You all drive me wild sometimes. Yes it doesn't exist without us but it was a zero risk/zero reward for us to be participants. We also have NO idea of how profitable it became and when. Era-Clear introduction could have still been during tough times when other people were selling their stakes (they had a reason to sell their stakes...).

re Community Re-settlers: did a great job but it wasn't THAT much work in the grand scheme of things to hand out invites in Discord channels. I understand it was a few sleepless nights, but that doesn't earn you a share of the forum.

re Mods: can you imagine the thread and the shit-show that would ensue if there was a post saying "Our mods are now being paid," I guarantee the forum would revolt due to recent incidents and start thinking mods were only going to do the bidding of the owner or the major advertisers

Ya'll can't have your cake and eat it too, sorry.
This and Finale Fireworker 's big post are the most important, earnest ones I've seen so far.

Paid moderation would be red meat for people who already openly distrust and constantly speak ill of moderation on this site. I've already seen at least one poster say they'd expect paid mods to be online at set hours.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Bravo
This should be thread mark

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Much respect for this post. :)

Dec 7, 2017
Really weird news, I guess Moba Networks sees Resetera as an advertisement platform? Wouldn't see any other reason for them to buy RE.

And 4,55 mio. is a lot but on the other hand it isn't, seeing all the vaporware web 2.0 stuff that sold for billions or lots of millions without any actual merit

Seems just like the final nail in the coffin of Gaming forums, which is sad

Status
Not open for further replies.