• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
replace "mod" by "dev" and "this website" by "our studio" and you've just described crunch culture (including the toxic feedback from some gaming communities to the developers spending countless hours to finish their game). Something that this very forum always fought against.
This is not even remotely accurate. Crunch culture is generated by peer pressure of being more productive for a longer period of time than your work fellow for fear of losing your position when push comes to shove. As far as I know, the staff is not competing against each other for "who is logged in the most" or "who has answered the bigger amounts of tickets", they are free to log in and go sleep. It's a voluntary job. They are not being paid to do so and they all have professional lives outside of ResetEra. They could easily retire themselves from the staff position and their lives wouldn't change. (in fact, it would probably make their mental health better, after seeing some of the stuffs that mods goes through)

At the beginning I was also worried of the staff for all their heart that they pour over this forum. But by the end, after seeing some of the staff and ex-staff replies, I trust them. We should all learn to be less skeptic, more trusting and have more empathy to the staff that is doing a thankless and high pressure job.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo

Quite an apt display of western capitalism in a nutshell, if you ask me. Anything for the monies.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.
Thanks for this. The kind of thoughtful answer we need in place of all this reactionary drama.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
1. Good on you for selling. This shit ain't a charity. You do whatever you want with your property.

2. This is not a good thing for anyone other than seller and buyer. Users, in this case, have nothing to benefit from and only stand to lose out on whatever you want to call the Era "experience".

3. As others have pointed out more expertly than I, you don't invest 5 million USD in something without hopes of recouping on your investment many times over.

4. This is a user-driven site, if the new owners fuck around with things too much then why wouldn't there be another exodus.

Mar 18, 2020
SCREAMING at the idea of this being a "leftist site" when there was a thread full of people proclaiming how much they hate black slang a few days ago

Oct 25, 2017
If you seriously think kicking the entire mod staff and replacing them with a bunch of corporate robots is going to prevent the kinds of anti-moderation snafus and blowups we've had in the past, you haven't been paying attention.

As soon as these hypothetical new mods make a mistake or do something people don't like - and they will, because it is impossible to moderate a community perfectly, regardless of whether you're being paid or not - we'll be right back where we are now.
I never even said that, just commented on your ridiculously assertion that people are only pissed off because "a friend got banned"

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Is the history of the ownership and management of this site documented anywhere?

I've never really felt part of the "community" (I was basically a lurker on Gaf), but one of the big reasons I joined Era initially was because people I followed and respected on Twitter (namely Nibel, Shinobi and Zhuge) were involved.

As time went on those people seemed to stop posting here and presumably stopped being involved in the running of the site. But I never felt like there was any sort of announcement like today's, or any transparency about the operation of the site.

I've often wondered what actually helped in the early years and I guess now is as good a time as any to ask.
Two of those scrubbed any association with the site and deleted their accounts without announcement in 2019 iirc.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Been thinking about deleting my account for personal reasons (reducing the number of forums I am a part of), this just makes it easier.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder if the people concerned about mods being paid are just jealous that Cerium made so much money and they actually mean themselves who want to be paid.

Seriously get fucked. There were multiple posts raising it as a concern in the community constructive criticism thread but it was never addressed - not only that but we didn't know the extent of how much they were being exploited so trying to spin this around as just people being jealous is insidious shit.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who was on that original discord back as the site was being formed would have seen this as the natural end. There are costs and risks associated with running a site like this, and certainly it's very difficult to generate a revenue model.

For me, I came here because of the belief that the strength of a message board is its post frequency, and that a large userbase lends itself to that.

To the mods and admins, you generated the value of this site. Volunteering for an independent site is noble and I applaud and am grateful to you for it, but now that the site it owned, I hope you can negotiate compensation.

Even Twitch streamers pay their mods.

Also, I think with paid mods, the mods themselves would both gain guidance and be subject to review, benefitting themselves and our community.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4. This is a user-driven site, if the new owners fuck around with things too much then why wouldn't there be another exodus.
This is an important point. Let the new forum owners know every chance we get that the only thing keeping us here is our attachments to our own community, and we can just move that again to a new independent forum if it becomes necessary. In other words, the new owners better not fuck around.

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because we volunteer to put up with performative nonsense like your post.

To others, the concern is appreciated, but if you really care about our well being, just do your best not to cause trouble or be rude to us like the above.

No, you're demanding that we respect you unconditionally, and you have the gall to claim that I'm being rude? You should have a good hard look at yourself before calling others 'performative'.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You can tell this is a leftist site cause leftist love purity tests on leftism. This site is literally the SJW boogey man that right wing reactionaries are so scared of.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Thanks for the insight.

Just a question, but beyond receiving a pay (which I can imagine being given a salary could feel strange, maybe), what if it was in the form of shares? It just seems strange to me that this was built as a community first forum, the person owning it buys out the other initial owners. And then sells the site because the pressure of being the sole owner was too much.

Why wasn't there an effort made to keep the site in the community's hands? Now it's one person profiting, even if it would always go towards a sale, at least multiple cornerstones of this community profit.
I have no idea what happened behind the scenes before I joined the moderation team. I don't know who owned stake, how much, for how long or any of that.
Now as to your question.
Something along the lines of "you agree to moderate and get a %stake in the forum" sounds like a better value proposition to me personally than you get paid for your moderation work here. Alas that was never offered. Unsurprisingly I am personally a big fan of cooperatives and would have loved the forum to be set up as such. But well no one asked me four years ago about my opinion on the matter. 😛

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
All I know is I am neutral about this. I don't want to sway heavily in any direction because if the site implodes from the new ownership then I don't want to be in the inevitable memes.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Set up a website with a community you didn't build
Promise said website would be community driven and transparent as a pane of glass, when in reality it never was
Set up additional monetization schemes to take advantage of people's willingness to help with costs
Consolidate ownership to one person and leave the site to be run by volunteers
Sell for millions and make out like a bandit in the middle of the night

Bravo
It still stings, ngl.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
And yet, I went to a big Dutch tech website, that posted news about this forum beign sold, and all the posts there basically label this site as a den of "SJWs" and extreme leftists. Some even brag about rather being on the old site nowadays too. They certainly don't think we're a bunch of performative rainbow capitalists over here

Rightwing people claiming this forum is leftists doesn't proof this forums supposed leftism anymore than the forums own claims.

RetroHippie

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 12, 2021
I imagine soon people will be able to sign up with public email domains, since ad revenue is the major focus of the acquisition if MOBA's intentions in the press release are anything to go by. If so, that will definitely change the discourse held on the forum.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's stupid but I never put two and two together, in my mind it was still just a community site that put ads in to keep it running well, people giving their time at no cost to keep things going and upgrading the site. Never crossed my mind it was making lots of money or a business in any way. I always felt grateful for what happened with the move and people that made it happen. This have come out of nowhere for me, maybe I had he blinkers on and others could see it.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017

GAF is still around and pretty active. Even if there was another exodus (there won't be) this still would have been worth it for them. They bought a brand, not just a forum. You're replaceable. Others will sign up and join.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
All I know is I am neutral about this. I don't want to sway heavily in any direction because if the site implodes from the new ownership then I don't want to be in the inevitable memes.
You're in too deep and will be a part of the memes regardless spatula

This is the path you have chosen

This is the path you will walk

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, I went to a big Dutch tech website, that posted news about this forum beign sold, and all the posts there basically label this site as a den of "SJWs" and extreme leftists.
My man, those types call people with positions to the left of anything they support "extreme leftists".

For all the "Biden is a Diet-Republican" type posts I've seen here, I've seen probably just as many referring to him as a "radical leftist" off-site.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Communities shouldn't be commodities

This.

Especially ones that primarily formed during a mass migration

I understand the cynical nature of business and the world, I do.

Not quite sure where I fall broadly in terms of this news, but every thread posted going forward in relation to advocating businesses pay their staff fairly has an extra element now.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Can't knock the hustle.

It will be interesting how this develops and if it leads to another exodus. Maybe the new owners will not intervene at all, time will tell.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I can't speak for any other staff, past or present, about whether or not they feel they should be paid for their work here. But I guess I can talk about how I felt about it and what I wanted during my tenure here. When I was active staff I was a major contributor and proud of the work I did for the website. It had a big impact on me. I am a different person now on the other side of it than I was when I started. I did not know what I was getting in to at the time, but I knew the position would be volunteer and accepted it on those terms.

The time I put in here was out of an earnest, personal desire to see the website flourish. It was to give the people here a place to post, especially the people who felt like they had nowhere else to go. It was to prove that a website like ours could exist, and should exist, and it could only exist if members of the community helped shape the website in to what they wanted it to be. My earliest posts on this forum, before I was ever staff, was beseeching that people be kind to one another and care about each other. A community that does not love each other cannot flourish. When I was asked to become staff a few months later, I accepted that responsibility because I believed strongly that this was the best way I could help this community prosper.

The volunteer nature of the position meant that it was flexible. There was no requirement for how much or how little I did. There were no required hours I needed to work. It was not a job. It was work, yes, but it was work to build something I felt like I was part of. The website was my vision too. The community was my own. I never felt like I was being taken advantage of. I can just say bluntly: I did not care literally at all about being compensated for my work here.

But there were times that I was. There were times where being a member of the staff made a big difference to me. There were times where my peers came through for me. There were times where other members of the staff were generous to me out of kindness. When family members were ill, they helped support me. When I got married, they helped support me. I do not believe the people who helped me would be comfortable if I named them, so I will not. I can also only speak for myself. I know that I felt taken care of by my team. Some of the best friends I have now, people I cannot imagine my life without, are friends I made when I was member of the staff. That is why it was so important to me.

I have no idea what current members of the staff want. I do not speak for any of them. But I can absolutely guarantee you that if they are unhappy with the arrangement they will just politely retire from the position. Nobody is going to be forced to stay if they don't want to. It's a volunteer position. Moderators are the people who suffer the most for this website, so if they do feel negatively about this change or feel like they are not being fairly compensated for their contributions, they are not going to stick around. They can leave whenever they want with no hard feelings.

What does create hard feelings, and is definitively the hardest and most unrewarding part of the work, is the absolute subzero trust and good faith you receive from the community you serve. The constant spinning of narratives to portray you as sinister and manipulative, as dishonest and vindictive, is brain-damaging. To be constantly subjected to thousands of people assuming the absolute worst of you no matter the situation, and no answer and no action ever being good enough for people, makes everything you do feel helpless, hopeless, and depressing. But you keep doing it because even if the work is thankless it is necessary for the community to exist. You do it because even if people think you're a useless moron who can't do anything right, or an evil actor with no regard for humanity, and even if people will hold every breath you take against you, the website needs people who care about it enough to take care of it even when it reduces them to ashes.

Over and over again I have seen sub-communities offer up their favorite members to the moderation team only to turn on them, call them traitors and failures, and grind them to dust. The division between staff and members should not be as wide as it is. All of the staff members were community members first - people who posted here and connected here and formed relationships here. They are members too. But this website, for all its claims to the contrary, absolutely despises the moderation team in every form it has ever taken. They want mods to hurt. They want mods to fail. They want them to quit or be forced out. People relish in the opportunity to drag or slander the mod team, to paint them as negatively as possible. It is a sport. The opportunity to do so is irresistible.

I do not know why the website is like this. Maybe it is a fundamental distrust of authority a community with values like ours has baked into it. Or maybe a website with our values is ungovernable. Members have always had conflicting visions for what this website should be, should feel like, and how it should be moderated. People are very comfortable in their insular community Discords where everybody likes the same things or shares the same interests or experiences and then think the atmosphere outside their discord is inhospitable. So they blame the staff for not making the website like their Discord and when that can't be accommodated they splinter off into some other website or server.

So with how brutally members on this website treat the moderation team, all of this "what about the mods?" energy rings extremely insincere to me. I know some people have their hearts in the right place, because I know some of you more personally, but the good-natured looking out becomes indistinguishable from the people who are just using this event as another opportunity to do what they've always done - to single out an enemy and make them suffer for it. To demand someone pay for the transgression. So on comes the accusations, on comes the spectacle, on comes the narratives about who is at fault this time and whose turn it is to pay for it.

If you care about the staff, even just in principle, pay attention to what they've always asked for: to be treated better by the community. Right now, the mod team isn't having to deal with the site being sold, they are having to deal with the reactions in this thread. They are having to read all the posts calling them complicit in a grand failure, they are having to read all the posts about how the website is over, all the "delete my accounts", all the "what about TRANSPARENCY", all the insistence that everything they have worked for is pointless, all the perception that nothing they do has ever mattered to anyone, all the grandstanding about how shady and dishonest and manipulative the forum is and that it must not actually stand for anything because the forum has a new owner. I don't know if people understand how incredibly damaging this torrent of rhetoric is for your mental health.

So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit.

If this transaction does change the priorities of the forum with respect to its values or ideals, you will never catch me defending it. I will leave too. I know the ideas this community is supposed to be built upon. I helped write them. You can bet I'm not sticking around if that changes. But right now - nothing has changed. I still have faith in the staff. I still believe the people there are doing this work out of belief it is important work to do. And I believe they would not be here anymore if this was not the case. They can decide if it's worth it to keep doing the work here - and I know money will have nothing to do with it.

This topic is upsetting to me in a way I would prefer not to engage with further, so I will not reply again. You can accuse me of cowardice if you prefer but I just don't have the guts for this kind of discourse anymore. I wish the best for everyone. For Cerium, for Dubs, for the staff, for all this forum's members. I have always wished for the best. That will never change. From the beginning I have always believed that if we can find a way to love each other, we will succeed. The terms have always been the same: we must either learn to love each other or we will die trying.
Just quoting this to make sure it's seen on whatever page my post shows up on. I don't participate enough to help shift the relation ship with the staff, but I hope more people read this post an dinderstand that being a mod isn't so simple.

I also don't see the panic that a lot of people have expressed today. Maybe it's naivety about how the internet runs on money and that this is how ResetEra existed previously and will continue to exist. If the new owners start injecting new ads, moderating based on sponsorships, or other issues, then by all means raise hell. But until that actually happens this is literally no different than it was yesterday.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with

- The mods, any of them
- Cerieum getting paid

Era's downfall is largely the result of the its own community. CryptoERA - which I know many of you don't care about and want gone anyways, was a small community that had to be pretty insulated outside of their OT because every crypto related thread descended into the following exchange:

"Crypto is killing the planet!"

Here's a list of coins that don't use a lot of energy though.

"Well I never heard about those so they don't count."

They are some of the most commonly used coins. Many of them are used far more than Bitcoin.

"Crypto is destroying the planet!"

Many of the newer coins use Proof of Stake.

"Proof of steak isn't vegan, it's still immoral."

I had two well meaning threads closed by the mods because a bunch of crybabies here had an issue with how other people spent their money and felt the need to troll. Seems like PC-Era went through a similar cycle and I'm not at all surprised that the minority communities also left.
lol

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what happened behind the scenes before I joined the moderation team. I don't know who owned stake, how much, for how long or any of that.
Now as to your question.
Something along the lines of "you agree to moderate and get a %stake in the forum" sounds like a better value proposition to me personally than you get paid for your moderation work here. Alas that was never offered. Unsurprisingly I am personally a big fan of cooperatives and would have loved the forum to be set up as such. But well no one asked me four years ago about my opinion on the matter. 😛

Thanks again!

Yeah that also always made sense to me considering the work you all put in. Especially with the shares always being in play from the start, and probably there are 10 of thousands if not more of shares. Giving a moderator a small amount of shares for every active year or something would've been fitting for a place like Era.

Ah well, again thanks for the insight!

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
No, you're demanding that we respect you unconditionally, and you have the gall to claim that I'm being rude? You should have a good hard look at yourself before calling others 'performative'.

They are just asking for basic fucking respect. Like the whole "don't be a dick to people" respect.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
GAF is still around and pretty active. Even if there was another exodus (there won't be) this still would have been worth it for them. They bought a brand, not just a forum. You're replaceable. Others will sign up and join.

This forum has had a declining userbase for a while, so unless bannings are significantly reduced that's not really the case.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for myself but I'd be surprised if I'm the only mod who feels this way. I don't moderate for the sake of the owners past or present, but for the sake of the community.

Paid moderators are usually there to protect the brand, the corporation, or the income. Youtube mods sure aren't there to protect the Youtube *communities*.

I doesn't bother me that people think a paid mod team would do better, or if people are concerned about what happens to this community... because we've been through some real shit in the past, even predating this site and fears based on things that actually happened are hardly irrational. I hope (and for the record believe) that moderators will continue to be volunteers from within the community, and will continue to operate as an independent team.

How do you feel about the possibility (reality?) of taking a paying job from someone who wouldn't work for free?

Wouldn't it be possible to get paid through some kind of agreement with the owners, donation system, etc and still work for the userbase?

I'm gonna link Rover's post because I think they expressed best the issues of working for free:

On the contrary, mods of this site are regularly targeted for harassment and doxxing. On this site itself, they face the constant pressure and criticism of trying to keep the peace and maintain various communities. I don't think they do things right all the time, but they aren't "getting a pass" from anybody, and the work is extensive and constant.

When the work is unpaid, mods develop an unhealthy relationship with their role. It becomes much harder to see what is too much pressure, what is unfair treatment, what is worth the time or the resources.

In a normal paid job, you weigh your expectations and your performance against your wages. Not only are we paid for our time, but we can compare and decide if one job is better or worse than another job.

When the compensation is something nebulous like "making a difference in the community", you are being gaslit into thinking it's worth more than it really is. You're also attaching emotional bonds to a job that someone is basically exploiting you for.

Pay the damn mods. And if you're a mod, I sincerely suggest you not accept this role as unpaid.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I guess what is bugging me was, was it necessary to sell to a corporation? Was there nobody willing to step on and take on the duties of keeping the site running? Yes, it was a big payout, but it also seems like the site was making pretty damn good money right? And let's say it had to be sold for whatever reason, was it ever offered to anyone from the community to raise the capital needed to keep this independently owned? Why not work out details for paying staff and stuff before selling so you have clear terms and they aren't left to their own devices?

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with

- The mods, any of them
- Cerieum getting paid

Era's downfall is largely the result of the its own community. CryptoERA - which I know many of you don't care about and want gone anyways, was a small community that had to be pretty insulated outside of their OT because every crypto related thread descended into the following exchange:

"Crypto is killing the planet!"

Here's a list of coins that don't use a lot of energy though.

"Well I never heard about those so they don't count."

They are some of the most commonly used coins. Many of them are used far more than Bitcoin.

"Crypto is destroying the planet!"

Many of the newer coins use Proof of Stake.

"Proof of steak isn't vegan, it's still immoral."

I had two well meaning threads closed by the mods because a bunch of crybabies here had an issue with how other people spent their money and felt the need to troll. Seems like PC-Era went through a similar cycle and I'm not at all surprised that the minority communities also left.
I'm making this post into an NFT and selling it for $4.5 million USD in EraCoin.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
SCREAMING at the idea of this being a "leftist site" when there was a thread full of people proclaiming how much they hate black slang a few days ago
This site was made of members who thought Lore's abuse was too much to stomach. That's all. But make no mistake that this Era skin is hung on the bones of Neogaf and those members were still mostly Gaffers. That core never changed.

As for selling the site? Why not? They did what they set out to do: make a home for those who felt being a member of Gaf was no longer tenable. I'd have sold this bitch too.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a mess, a disappointing and frustrating mess.
I've been here since the start and visit the forum almost everyday. I was suspicious for a while that the rainbow picture that was painted when Era was created was no longer the case but the community was worth it. Makes it all worse in retrospect after seeing this news.
That post by cerium goes against what I thaught were the Era ideologies and porpuse. I can't shake the feeling that we got played, it reads like a mockery of what Era usually despises and criticizes.
I'm also surprised, like others, that the community didn't have a chance to discuss this in advance. It allways felt like this was "ours". But I, like others, didn't even know that the forum was owned by a single individual.
The moderation has been too heavy for my tastes for a while now, I can only hope it wasn't an effort to keep the forum as clean as possible in order not to jeopardize a potential sale.
I won't speak for the mods, but if there was so much money to be gained from selling Era, I wish they could have received a part of the money for the work they have done. It would be the fair and honorable thing to do. I would never expect anything in return from using the forum but I would expect those who contribute their own time to make it work to be taken care of.

There's a great amount of irony for Era to end like this after how the exodus from Gaf began.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
All I really care about is the community here. This change does present a lot of downside risk without much upside risk, but if things pretty much stay the same, then I'm not bothered by the change. I just want to keep having a place to chat and have fun. Thanks for all the hard work that so many of you have done to keep this place running.

Status
Not open for further replies.