• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of ya'll'ing here while dancing around anything being said. Like, what is exactly is your point here that you're even trying to make. That people are hypocrites or, as Deepwater said, 'frauds' because they think mods for a successful website should be paid because they were mean to them? Okay, I guess. Let's assume all criticism towards mods was just meanness, there was no legit criticism, all meanness. You cannot criticize legitimately under any circumstance.

Like…who gives a shit, honestly? What does that matter. The core argument is that people should be paid for doing something that apparently did a lot of work and it would benefit the community to have modship that is paid and trained. Do you agree or disagree? You can stand above this vague "ya'll" because they were mean or whatever if you want, but that is the core of what is being talked about
It is incredibly fraudulent for a community to suddenly care about the mod's well being after they just spent the last 4 years being the cause of their duress, yes. That's why this whole "pay the mods" spiel rings incredibly hollow. Showing concern for a group of people that yall consonantly shit on. Like you know how goofy that looks from the other side right? It gets even worse when you realize that pretty much no mod has gotten on here or off are advocating to be paid. So it is funny to hop on here and tell other people how they should feel about certain things. Yea, people should be paid for their labor, but if they don't give a shit why the fuck would I? lmaoo
And it is kinda funny that you're a retail worker and don't sympathize with what mods go through at all. Ironic in some ways really.

Also, here's another funny concept. Have yall considered that the mods don't want to paid? Cause ya know, makes this shit feel like a job when they got jobs.

Also another wild concept. Have yall considered that the reason only a singular has come in here is because of the way yall act in these situations? Shits so embarrassing to watch every time

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't have to be limited to the thread at all. But I don't see it in other threads either and I deffo don't think it's as strong as you do. That said I'm not saying you're wrong, I just ain't feeling it and it doesn't come off like that at all to me.
Which is fair enough, I just wish people would stop talking about thee communities like their experiences trump others. I get the people in the PC Era thread faced some bullshit, I get why some of you are upset about the loss of that specific community, but the PC community here was never limited to just that thread. There's a PC community for lots of the games I play, when I was active in Destiny we had a really strong one for example.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredibly fraudulent for a community to suddenly care about the mod's well being after they just spent the last 4 years being the cause of their duress, yes. That's why this whole "pay the mods" spiel rings incredibly hollow. Showing concern for a group of people that yall consonantly shit on. Like you know how goofy that looks from the other side right? It gets even worse when you realize that pretty much no mod has gotten on here or off are advocating to be paid. So it is funny to hop on here and tell other people how they should feel about certain things. Yea, people should be paid for their labor, but if they don't give a shit why the fuck would I? lmaoo
And it is kinda funny that you're a retail worker and don't sympathize with what mods go through at all. Ironic in some ways really.

Also, here's another funny concept. Have yall considered that the mods don't want to paid? Cause ya know, makes this shit feel like a job when they got jobs.

Also another wild concept. Have yall considered that the reason only a singular has come in here is because of the way yall act in these situations? Shits so embarrassing to watch every time
You are massively generalising here, massively. The "community" didn't spend the last 4 years being on their case, some people in it did.

Stop that nonsense posturing, please, it's not helping anyone.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Cerium, at very least you shoulda secure the bag for the mods too. shame on you
You selling us out *sigh* shoulda know, never see you active on GAF anyway

on principle I should just leave, but I'm very lazy so unless we have meltdown again I'll stay.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Now that ResetEra is a European company, can we enforce the use of the metric system, the d/m/y dating system and ban tipping threads?

A swedish company, even. Bring on the umlauts.

I don't know what to think about this yet. My spontaneous feeling is that I'm kind of sad that something that felt like the product of a genuine communal spirit has been sold as just another commodity. Hopefully it will lead to financial stability, and I'm sure there are positives that come with an aquisition like this. It's also easy to imagine several ways this could harm the community in the long run. Only time will tell, I guess.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Era hasn't been that all fun and games but through it i gotten to know some great people and Transistor. Finale Fireworker and B-Dubs are giving folks and played therapist for me way too many times. And Nepenthe like most black women put up with way too much foolishness and still be ready for a good laugh

if it wasn't for it would be wandering the streets talking about the accepting Darkhawk as your lord and savior
I am humbled by your acknowledgment.

It was always the people that made what we went through worth it. A lot of the conflict and stress has changed me forever, but so have the relationships I made. As I get older it is harder to make friends based on a shared experience or mutual time and place. My time in this place was short in the scheme of things, but also the densest formative period of my life. I don't know if I'm happy I did it, but I definitely don't regret it. Like I always said, we must love each other. We are all we have.

I am happy to have you.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Which is fair enough, I just wish people would stop talking about thee communities like their experiences trump others. I get the people in the PC Era thread faced some bullshit, I get why some of you are upset about the loss of that specific community, but the PC community here was never limited to just that thread. There's a PC community for lots of the games I play, when I was active in Destiny we had a really strong one for example.

Thats not what SteamGAF or early SteamERA was. Its like Yugioh Era or Genshin Era. Its a small community. That doesnt mean that people outside the community dont play Yugioh or Genshin, but that specific community existed since the GAF days and most moved on to another forum (which is evident comparing the post count of PC Era to it on MC.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thats not what SteamGAF or early SteamERA was. Its like Yugioh Era or Genshin Era. Its a small community. That doesnt mean that people outside the community dont play Yugioh or Genshin, but that specific community existed since the GAF days and most moved on to another forum (which is evident comparing the post count of PC Era to it on MC.
Community is not limited to those threads, that PART of those communities moved on.
If it don't apply to you then keep your mouth shut lol
You're ridiculous, lol.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Era hasn't been that all fun and games but through it i gotten to know some great people and Transistor. Finale Fireworker and B-Dubs are giving folks and played therapist for me way too many times. And Nepenthe like most black women put up with way too much foolishness and still be ready for a good laugh

if it wasn't for it would be wandering the streets talking about the accepting Darkhawk as your lord and savior
Transistor wakes up

"Oh hey Slayven mentioned me I wonder what it is"

:(

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is basically the Heist of the Century. Taking over a community under "noble" pretenses, and then selling them for 4.5 million 4 years down the line because of "health concerns". Its a cash-out. Plain and simple.

Yep. He profited off the community and all the volunteers, to the tune of 4.5M USD and some unironically applaud him. Mods going hard on the folks in SalesEra but roll over and don't bat an eyelid when they've been sold out by their fearless and supportive leader.

Last edited:

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

When Cerium bought out the other shareholders, has there ever been an offer made towards to administrators/moderation team to buy themselves in? Considering the pressure of being the sole owner of the site is what led to selling off the site, I wonder if there was ever made an effort to keep the forum in the community's hands.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Again, a lot of dancing around without saying a lot. You seem to agree that people should be paid for labor and that it would be a benefit the site as a well for modship to be paid and trained. So, what is your argument? Is it solely about calling out fraud? Or is it that you can't be critical and believe that at the same time. Like what is your counterpoint here? If it's just that you feel you're better than people who were critical to mods in the past, you know, good for you, I guess. But like I said before, and like you sidestepped, it's irrelevant to the overall point. You can be better than "ya'll." I honestly don't think anyone cares

And I don't know what this weird attempt is at trying to throw my work back at me is. The fact that I am work in retail makes me understand why work should be rewarded and people should be paid more (or, in this case, at all). What that has to do with anything is beyond me. I believe you can still be critical of retail workers and still believe, in general, retail workers should be paid more. So what difference does this make to anything being said.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
then if everything was clear from the start and that the mod team is Ok with it, I think this should end the "mods need to get paid" discussion.

Which end up with only one topic : what MOBA is going to do with Era ? Only time will tell.
We have no way of knowing if all of the mod team are okay with this.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
This is why I think the new owners should just come in and remove all the mods and put their own mods. If their serious about wanting this place to grow then getting those community's back here would be great.
I've got my qualms with the current staff but I don't think corporate-appointed mods would create any amount of goodwill with most marginalized people that left.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the wild Discord days when all of the communities came together in hopes of creating a better place for everyone, for the community by the community. ResetEra was never quite that and only furthered moved away from being that as time went on, but this feels like the sad culmination of moving away from its own communities. The idea that this forum that prides itself on inclusivity is now owned by a company that will have to profit maximize the shit out of this frankly feels gross.
This is exactly how I feel about it.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Mods and staff knew about the healthy revenue and yet advertised the Clear era scam?

🤔
I knew that if GAF was profitable enough for Evilore to turn down 5M from IGN (something he bragged about, btw), Era would be similarly profitable, so I never had an qualms about turning the ad blocker on. It's the "GAF Gold" meme that became reality and I guess some people didn't get the memo.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem that the owner get paid. Hopefully the mods also have no problem doing volunteer works for a for-profit corporation now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who had issues with staff various times, as you know, numerous times one of the most understandable explanations that's been given for why various things were handled as they were was that this being unpaid work causes problems. It means people obviously have to focus on their day jobs and so can only have moderation time cut into living their lives, and/or that they can't chime in on decisions until after that work. It means that they can't get people to join the staff because dealing with the shit that comes with the job, both on-site and from outside of it, is even more unappealing than it's always going to be. And so on.

This doesn't "feel like a job", it visibly is a job that wears on people. Even when I think someone's doing it in a way that frustrates me, I'd still rather they be paid for that work. And so why, after being shown that and told those problems, would anyone assume that it isn't a thing that would benefit the staff as a whole?

Honestly, it's not even really down to whether the current individual staff members think about being paid for the work they're doing today - because sure, the offer of being paid definitely changes your dynamic with the site, and there can be personal downsides to that - it's more that it's increasingly clear that they totally could have been paid from the start (or at least close to it) and the way the staff works should have been designed around that, and everyone involved is worse off because that didn't happen.

(EDIT: Along those lines, I don't agree with the others saying this should shut down that explanation going forward. Because it's how it works regardless, each staff member wanting pay or not doesn't really change the fact that they're not, and it's not just an excuse from staff to say that it causes problems. This part's not really on the current staff, it's on how things were organized to begin with.)

I've got my qualms with the current staff but I don't think corporate-appointed mods would create any amount of goodwill with most marginalized people that left.

Yeah, for all my issues with the staff historically, a full swap with company hired people with no relation to the community or incentive to care about people is uhhhhh certainly not going to be better at all, lol.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well.

We'll see what happens.

and also ends the "it's unpaid work so stop complaining about bad moderation" defense

Mmm, this is what I was thinking too. If mods don't care about getting paid then I certainly hope we don't see that excuse being brought in to shield any questionable moderation the next time there's an incident.

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility towards volunteer staff over multiple posts, account in junior phase
Wait till era learns that all the evil corporations (they are evil) actually pay their moderation staff :^)

And BTW, if the staff knew about this deal and didn't tell anyone, they care more about their "friend ship" with Baron Cerium moreso than where your data is going. :)

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wait till era learns that all the evil corporations (they are evil) actually pay their moderation staff :^)

And BTW, if the staff knew about this deal and didn't tell anyone, they care more about their "friend ship" with Baron Cerium moreso than where your data is going. :)

There are twitch streamers that pay their mods even

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
When can I log in with Facebook?

Also this doesn't mean doom yet but it is hard to believe the site can do as well as it did the last 4 years with a new owner like a faceless corporation who will want guaranteed growth and profits. They can sell the site if the future analysis isn't working out and admins, GM's, mods, etc have no say. Corporations are not your friends.

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021
Also, dude couldn't even negotiate on behalf of his tech staff, the actual paid workers?? 😕

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
www.resetera.com

As We Discuss Industry-Wide Workplace Abuse, Please Consider Donating to One of These Charities

While the industry grapples with yet another case of workplace abuse and harassment, this one shocking in scale and severity, many in the community and on the staff have been pondering ways that we can do something proactive and helpful. To this end we've decided to highlight three charities...

That's the thread where one of the three charities involved is still a group dedicated to hate speech against sex workers and kink people yeah? And questions about that were 100% ignored?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
4.5 million dollars is an insane amount of money for a forum, but I guess when a forum generates this much traffic it's going to be worth it. It's a damn shame to hear despite making so much money from the site the mods are not paid, that feels especially with all the stuff they have to put up with really sad to hear.

Congrats on your retirement Cerium. I think we all knew deep down that whoever setup a spinoff forum from the old site was always going to make bank with the amount of traffic, but I never realised it'd be this much.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
When can I log in with Facebook?

Also this doesn't mean doom yet but it is hard to believe the site can do as well as it did the last 4 years with a new owner like a faceless corporation who will want guaranteed growth and profits. They can sell the site if the future analysis isn't working out and admins, GM's, mods, etc have no say. Corporations are not your friends.
I mean Cerium has been basically faceless for years already and obviously wanted profits and growth. He already did sell the site because his future analysis wasn't working out and the mods and admins had no say or share in the matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.