• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Sorian keeps getting away with... everything.
Heck's own creation killed him and let Sorian live. He can't be stopped.
RetroMG wait which Mafia guy was I?

Also yes, Sorian is apparently invincible and it still blows my mind that you all continue to listen to that jerk

KJBz.gif

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RetroMG wait which Mafia guy was I?

Also yes, Sorian is apparently invincible and it still blows my mind that you all continue to listen to that jerk

96dnSbG.png

You are notable for your obsessive love (read: stalking) of one of the other players and also for murdering a shark with a broken chunk of wood.

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I'm trying to dig up my mafia movie avatar! I think it's on an old laptop... I remember I was the cool boss woman though lol.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhh I'm trying to dig up my mafia movie avatar! I think it's on an old laptop... I remember I was the cool boss woman though lol.

http://gafia.boards.net/thread/210/marked-spoilers-mafia-survival-movie

I did a whole writeup on Outer Gafia when we were still there, and the avatars are there, too. I was thinking if work is slow this morning I might update it with what we learned watching the movie in English and repost it either here or Outer Mafia.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Work's not slow, but I decided to do this anyway.

THE PREMISE
Moscow. 2072. Starting the 75th season of the TV show "Mafia", whose ratings have fallen steadily in recent years. 11 volunteers came to the game to compete for the grand prize - 1 billion rubles. (The English version says 1 million dollars.) The money will go to either the Mafia, or the surviving town players. The prize will be divided in equal proportions between the winners.

I WANNA WATCH IT!
Let me know. We'll see what we can do.

THE CAST - (I could include the names of the actors, but do you care? Instead I'll note which player in the community they were assigned to.)

TKjxRaL.jpg

The Psychologist - Kaz Hirai
(I dunno, I look at this guy and I see Kaz Hirai. Don't you?)
Prior to the game's beginning, the psychologist interviews every subject to find out what the are most afraid of. This leads into their executions when they are voted out/night killed.

RKyukau.png

Vladimir - RetroMG
(I assigned him to myself, and I kind of wish I hadn't. He's pretty much a misogynistic asshole.)
A former military officer who was has fought in wars eight times. He suffers PTSD over the loss of his men.

Town - Voted out third. Goes back to a warzone where he's the battlefield commander watching all of his troops be slaughtered. Finally, he takes the field himself and fights very well, until he runs out of ammo and is killed an a hail of bullets.

snYc2Ut.png

Luka - Crab
(I made Luka Crab because he was the grand old man, just like Crab was the grand old man of the Mafia community when I wrote this, before he left and I became the grand old man by default.)
Has been a billionaire for 85 years. Has a passion for gambling, which has helped build his fortune. Has numerous children who are basically waiting for him to die so they can get his fortune. He has signed a living will that says if he dies during Mafia, his kids get nothing. His greatest fear is losing his lavish lifestyle.

Town. Survives! He lives and goes home to cut off his horrible children who are horrible.

ARefap8.png

Vani - Nin1000
(I dunno, this young innocent looking man just kind of screamed Nin.)
A Prisoner who has a mother who loves him very much. It is revealed that the reason he was in prison was because he was in a car with his drunk friends when they crashed, killing multiple people. Nin only survived because a mysterious stranger pulled him and his friend. Vani/Nin was not driving, but the other survivor found a witness who claimed that he was driving while drunk, and he was sent to prison. He says at one point that he doesn't care about winning so much as he care about being able to tell his story and proclaim his innocence.

Town. Third and final Night Kill. Alternates between walking on the beach with his mother, and walking to a firing squad, where he is ultimately shot to death. It is revealed that Swamped was the one who pulled him from the car, and also the one who testified falsely against him. This exonerates him. At the beginning of the film, we see his mother lives in a building with "The Mother of a murderer lives here" graffiti'd on the wall. At the end, flowers are piled around her door, and the graffiti has been altered to say, "The Mother of a Hero lives here."

CspLuZB.png

Larissa - Swamped
(Such an elegant looking woman could only be our Dazzling Mafia Queen.)
A once-successful business woman who became an alcoholic and lost everything as a result. This leads to her attempting suicide, which then puts her in the path of another player's story. She came to Mafia to "try to win her old life back."

Second Night Kill. She is put aboard an airplane while it is crashing. (This includes a moment where a flight attendant tells Swamped that everything is going to be fine right before she is sucked out of the plane, and if that doesn't need to be a GIF, I don't know what does.) Before she dies, she reveals that she was the mysterious stranger who pulled Nin from his car wreck. However, the family of the driver also paid her to testify in court that Nin was the one who was driving. So she saved Nin's life, but then sent him to prison. However, her reveal of all this on television exonerates Nin, which is all he ever wanted.

lCcOSrW.png

Marie - Spider
(I don't know, something about her just said Spider. She looked like a happy person in the trailers who could also be deadly serious. So, Spider.)
A once famous ballet dancer who lost the use of her legs in a car accident. Now wants to win the money to replace her legs with robot legs. (I'm not making this up.)

Town. Voted out first, because one of the players recognizes both her and Hecht and concludes that because they knew each other outside the game, they must be conspiring and therefore must be Mafia. (The gamerunner even comments on how stupid this is, and how year after year, the players make the same mistakes.) She is chased through the woods during a thunderstorm by a sentient bolt of lightning. (Again, not making this up.) She is chased off a cliff, and the lightning hits her in mid-air.

96dnSbG.png

Peter - Hecht
(I had a very different view of Hecht when I assigned him this, but I still stand by it.)
Is hopelessly in love with Marie/Spider, and came to the game to be by her side. (OK, the english version makes this a LOT creepier than it seemed in Russian. He's basically a stalker. He sold his house to try to help pay for the robot legs. She at one point asks him why he won't leave her alone. He responds in a tone of one spouse to another, "Marie, let's not do this here.")

Town. Voted out second. He claims to be Mafia during the first vote in an effort to save Marie/Spider. This fails. Then in the second vote, Constantine claims to know that he's mafia for certain. He also celebrates Butcher's death after he's night killed, which is something that's totally a good look.
Peter is not very good at Mafia, is what I'm saying here.
He is put in a leaking rowboat in the ocean, surrounded by hungry sharks. He cuts himself, which puts blood in the water. He does manage to kill one shark by stabbing it with a broken oar, which causes the other sharks to attack the wounded one in a feeding frenzy. Peter tries to swim for shore, but before he can make it, the gamerunner removes the land, leaving him in the middle of the ocean. The sharks come for him next. He sees a vision of Marie as he floats in the water, which then turns into a shark, which eats him.

0LEls4F.png

Mr. Butcher - Squidy
(There was no real reason for this to be Squid. It just was.)
A prisoner, imprisoned for serial murder of several wealthy victims. He's not interested in the prize money - if he survives, he'll be released from prison. His greatest fear is not dying, but dying "like scum." (Which I think means dying in a stupid way.)

First night kill. Forced into a gladiatorial arena, where he manages to fight off a bunch of other fighters, winning the respect and love of the crowd in a truly epic fight sequence... before he trips and is speared through the neck by some metal lying on the ground. He dies like scum.

PlsBhTk.jpg

Elijah - StanleyPalmtree
(This character was barely in the trailers, and we didn't even know about him until we watched the movie for the first time. Stanley claimed him during the screening, which is perfect, as we also didn't know about Stan when the trailer came out.)
An engineer suffering from terminal cancer, with three months left to live - Wants the money so his family will be cared for.

Survives and wins! He is the final Mafia, and he is left alone with one town member. The ending voiceover says that he beat the odds and lived for ten months after the game was over. We see heartwarming scenes of him returning to his family.

4Nj0tsc.png

Cyril - Sorian
(Come on, that hat, that self-assured nature. How could this not be Sorian?)
Not a lot of backstorian for Sorian. He's a governmental dissident of some kind, according to the review I read. The English version of the movie doesn't support that, it just says that his friends told him he was too chicken to sign up for Mafia, so he signed up to prove them wrong. He meets Kate (Scrafty) the day before the game and they instantly fall in love, but neither of them realizes that the other is joining the Mafia game until they both show up.

Town. Survives. Throws himself into Scrafty's execution, but manages to survive it. (More on this later) He also loses his hat at one point, but recovers it before the end. At the end, he's dissatisfied because he managed to survive, but he wants to find a way to shut down the game for good, so the final shot of the movie is him signing up for another game, I guess to destroy it from the inside?

d2CyCJL.png

Constantine - Blargonaut
(I made this Blarg on a whim, and I'm so glad I did, because it was 1000% right.)
A "Black Messenger" - A consultant for companies in crisis. He is said to have the gift of Prophecy.

Fourth player to be lynched, and the first player to be confirmed as a member of the Mafia. Ironically, Constantine/Blarg places the final vote for himself to be lynched - Typical Blargonaut, voting for himself.
Blarg is said to have been born with the gift of prophecy, which he uses to revive struggling companies. As Mafia's ratings are falling, he is hired to revive Mafia. He is voted out, but before he does, he gives Sorian and Scrafty several cryptic hints that help them in the movie's climax.
Blarg fears dying of old age. While walking through a stairway full of mirrors, he undergoes rapid aging until he dies as an old man. As he dies, he laughs, and yells to the gamerunner that he tricked him, because dying of old age is exactly what Blarg wanted - a long life, full of meaning.
He's so Blarg it's almost painful.

KSSQKb4.png

Kate - ScraftyDevil aka Cherry Bomb
(She just kind of screamed Cherry Bomb. Plus she was clearly going to have a thing with Sorian, which made it super funny to do this, since they were fighting like cats and dogs at the time.)
A mysterious young woman who grew up in an orphanage and wants to know about her past. Knew Cyril/Sorian for one day prior to the game. Her greatest fears are heights and snakes.

Town. Final player to be voted out. (No one is able to decide on someone to lynch in the final round, so she is randomly selected.)
Here's where it gets dumb.
She is pulled into her nightmare, but Sorian jumps out of his chair and grabs on to hers, so they are both pulled in. I don't quite know how to explain what happens next, but they end up on an island with camoflague snakes and a creature out of Bloodborne. Scrafty remembers Blarg telling her to look for the Triangle. Sorian grabs a triangular mirror hanging around the creatures neck and Scrafty figures out that the thing is afraid of sunlight. Sorian uses the mirror to reflect sunlight to blast the creature and destroy it. They find a statue with a traingle mirror in one eye, and they put the same mirror in the other eye. This opens a door which leads to... the orphanage where Scrafty grew up. Scrafty sees a woman bringing her in as a baby and wants to pursue to find out what happened to her parents. Sorian points out that this entire vision is based on her fear, so she won't find out the truth this way - She'll only see what she fears to be true.
They are pulled out of the orphanage and are taken to see the Gamerunner. He reveals that Blarg was working for Mafia in order to improve their ratings, but he thought a big twist ending where love won out would be a bigger sell than random death. (Which is why Sorian was able to get out of his chair. He shouldn't have been able to. In fact, Hecht tries the same thing when Spider is lynched and is prevented from doing so.) Blarg is reveald to have been right - the ratings for Mafia go through the roof, and Scrafty and Sorian are allowed to live and leave the game. The two stop at Blargs grave and leave flowers, declaring him the real hero.
I'm not making this up.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I feel like I have to tell you one important thing about Mafia: Survival Game, that I forgot in my post.

These people are NOT good at Mafia.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Then after the day ends they forget all about it.

OH MY GOD YES AND THAT'S THE MOST FRUSTRATING THING ABOUT IT.

Swamped is absolutely the only person who brings up that her vote from the previous day doesn't make sense if she's Mafia, and I literally cheered the ONE TIME that she did it.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like, don't get me wrong, I really, really like this movie, but don't let that make you think that it's in any way a GOOD MOVIE.

BECAUSE IT IS NOT.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Stan got snapped, yet I somehow survived. This feels like mafia

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Now that Maple Street mafia is done (congrats, scum!), we will soon be starting sign-ups for the season-ender (already!), Natiko's House of Horrors.

This also means we'll be gearing up for the post-season review thread. If you have anything you want to bring up in review, message a mod person, like me, Sneeks (she's on hiatus from general duties but I'm sure she will answer you because she is good and kind), Pedro (but uh not here because he's dust), Bear, Heck, Retro, Sophia... basically any one of us. No rush, just over the next few weeks.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We got to play live mafia at my school.

Highlight of the second game: I figured out who the cop was. Got them to full claim after they soft claimed. Realized from their full claim that they had solved the game. Pointed out this to the other players.

Then the town turned around and promptly lynched me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We still won tho.

Mafia won the first and third games, but both time it came down to the wire. My friend was the lone Mafia in the first game, and she did EXTREMELY well. Fooled everyone. I only figured it out after she killed me. XD

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost that time of year folks. Someone more eloquent than me will probably follow with a more detailed post but it's that time where we send someone off to represent us in the mafia universe championship. You can join an elite alumnus featuring cool kids like me and Ty4on and one just ok person in Dr. Monkey .

We will also have to run you out of the community if you bring shame to us
Just a reminder to anyone interested in representing us to let one of the overseers know via PM!

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
On another note - House of Horrors will have sign-ups soon, if anyone has some free time and is willing to give making a banner a go for the sign-up post please let me know! Don't have any real specifics. Maybe have a spooky house on it.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
On another note - House of Horrors will have sign-ups soon, if anyone has some free time and is willing to give making a banner a go for the sign-up post please let me know! Don't have any real specifics. Maybe have a spooky house on it.
I could try making something if no one else does.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I made one, but I'd rather see either of these ones be used tbh. Mine sucks, it's similar to FB's, but worse, so you might as well just use that one.
No Fanto, mine sucks lol I do appreciate that you put some time in to make one though! I didn't realize Fire had been working on one when I put the call out. I appreciate the help from both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.