• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching a Mafia game on YT, they were playing with no info given on dead players. Is that common? I can't see how you can make informed decisions that way. Seems to just devolve into random guesses every time, without ever knowing if you guessed right or not.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
IT COST ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND HOURS OF THERAPY TO FORGET THAT GAME AND YOU JUST CASUALLY BRING IT BACK UP.

But I do remember now. Still doesn't quite count since it was just me doing it on a lark, not an actual game mechanic.
People keep namedropping Werewolf 2 and everytime that happens my therapist gets a 3-hour call from me.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I was watching a Mafia game on YT, they were playing with no info given on dead players. Is that common? I can't see how you can make informed decisions that way. Seems to just devolve into random guesses every time, without ever knowing if you guessed right or not.
You should really read Volcano Island :lol

But we've had games with elements that hide a player's flip before. For example, there's a scum role called janitor that has that effect - but they're usually single-shot only. Neutrals may have similar powers as well.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Was it called the All Stars setup? That is a very common one for video mafia.

In that game there are 3 mafia and they get 2 kills each night while 3 remain alive. So people can deduce who is mafia from the number of night kills. The voting rules are different and a lot more telling about who is aligned together.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a little tip for any aspiring game runner's out there...

Don't do this

or you'll be responsible for this.

Lmao

You should really read Volcano Island :lol

But we've had games with elements that hide a player's flip before. For example, there's a scum role called janitor that has that effect - but they're usually single-shot only. Neutrals may have similar powers as well.

I can understand having a limited role that does that. It can be fun. But a whole game? It just seems to remove the whole strategy and collective deduction elements and turns it into a pure guessing game.

Can i get to Volcano Island through OM? Or do you have a link to it? I assume it was on Gaf.

Was it called the All Stars setup? That is a very common one for video mafia.

In that game there are 3 mafia and they get 2 kills each night while 3 remain alive. So people can deduce who is mafia from the number of night kills. The voting rules are different and a lot more telling about who is aligned together.

It was pretty much this yeah. Here:

I also found a pretty short game here:

Now this is more like it.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to Sophia's 'how to play town walkthrough'? I can't find it. It taught me to suck a little less

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Volcano Island, Werewolf 2, and Gafia 2.5 were all good games and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
saenima Those Dota personality mafias are how I first learned about the game lol. I loved watching them since I used to know the scene pretty well. Like Faddy says you can determine how many mafia are left based on the number of NK but it's a common strategy at times for mafia to stack their kills to 'frame' someone else and confuse town on how many mafia remain

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saenima Those Dota personality mafias are how I first learned about the game lol. I loved watching them since I used to know the scene pretty well. Like Faddy says you can determine how many mafia are left based on the number of NK but it's a common strategy at times for mafia to stack their kills to 'frame' someone else and confuse town on how many mafia remain

I just finished watching their second game and that was exactly their strategy after night 2. What i'm getting out of those videos is that playing irl is a completely different beast from playing online lol

I want to try this kind of blind(ish) mafia game eventually, but i'm probably more interested in games with more info to parse. That's the part that really fascinates me about the game. It's so much richer and complex i think.

I had no idea these were Dota players either, despite the obvious Dota thingy on the screen..

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished watching their second game and that was exactly their strategy after night 2. What i'm getting out of those videos is that playing irl is a completely different beast from playing online lol

I want to try this kind of blind(ish) mafia game eventually, but i'm probably more interested in games with more info to parse. That's the part that really fascinates me about the game. It's so much richer and complex i think.

I had no idea these were Dota players either, despite the obvious Dota thingy on the screen..
I don't think any of them are current Dota players, they're all the screen talent/casters/producers. Pretty fun bunch and if you follow the Dota scene it's really cool watching them play.

I think playing IRL Mafia would be more difficult for me personally judging by how poor I do when playing poker lol.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of them are current Dota players, they're all the screen talent/casters/producers. Pretty fun bunch and if you follow the Dota scene it's really cool watching them play.

I think playing IRL Mafia would be more difficult for me personally judging by how poor I do when playing poker lol.
I find IRL harder personally because I make a lot of faces (no one is surprised), but I play it with my students usually once a semester to demonstrate the ways we argue to convince particular audiences! It's always fun.

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
We should do a MafiEra podcast. Hosted by Dr Monkey and Hecht. Not that anybody outside our community would listen to it, but I think it would be super entertaining!

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We should do a MafiEra podcast. Hosted by Dr Monkey and Hecht. Not that anybody outside our community would listen to it, but I think it would be super entertaining!

When we eventually get big enough to have a MafiEra Off-Topic podcast, can I host it? :3

(Monkey and Hecht should absolutely host the on-topic one. Or any podcast, at all, really.)

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Why do y'all just wanna pair me with people I will argue with?

wait i think I already know the answer to this

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you mean Mansion Mafia, nope. B-Dubs was a lucky catch. I didn't suspect him being a doctor but he was the only one I tracked that actually moved so we killed him.

I meant that if fewer people had claimed, you would have had a larger pool of candidates to track, and so b-dubs might not have been your target that night.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The best part was that no one was town aligned and both left thinking they outpocketed the other

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best part was that no one was town aligned and both left thinking they outpocketed the other

AND both sides left thinking the other side was also not town.

09e.gif

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Now that we have a long game history, I'd love a podcast that revisited games from our past along with their designers and/or players. That'd be better than discussing current events due to having to be careful about spoilers etc.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we have a long game history, I'd love a podcast that revisited games from our past along with their designers and/or players. That'd be better than discussing current events due to having to be careful about spoilers etc.
Sorian would need to host this one, as he is a self-proclaimed Mafia Historian after all.

Oct 25, 2017
Every podcast should feature 3 people. One scum and two town. It's basically a normal podcast discussing history of mafia on this site or what not, but at the end, everyone casts a vote.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Every podcast should feature 3 people. One scum and two town. It's basically a normal podcast discussing history of mafia on this site or what not, but at the end, everyone casts a vote.
Holy shit I love this lol. Like, first part is just the normal podcast, then suddenly they just start accusing each other of being Scum for random shit they said during the discussion and try to convince each other they're right lol.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You would notice there were 3 persons in the podcast only when LP casts the hammering vote

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
hewwooo

gaem: smol mafia for aspiring automobile burglars > sqrt(81) * x-9 * 3*3
pronoush: he / him
4th dimension: time is relative and gmt+2

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You would notice there were 3 persons in the podcast only when LP casts the hammering vote

"This week is a bit of a special episode. We only have two members to discuss HvV"

[50 minutes of pleasantries and talk of digivices ensues]

"Well, I know we usually end these episodes with some votes but seeing as there are only two of us, this will be the first time we have to end in a draw."

L_P: "Actually, I vote for Sorian"

"Oh"

Status
Not open for further replies.