• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
As for Harry Potter...
The first two skew younger for the target audience, theyre decent to good and all, but it's definitely a series that grows with its audience.

Just make it to the third one and watch that. Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one (sadly) that's directed by Alfonso Cuarón and the cinematography on that one is fucking beautiful.

Yeah I feel like that is very much a film for kids that kinda grew up with the audience, but I heard nothing but great things about it. Let's see how good this saga is.

lol that's sixteen long ass movies. But okay.

I've been meaning to watch Harry Potter again. It's been a while.

Wait, so you're saying you joining me on my double feature? I love us haha. Let's do this The Bucket.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I rewatched some of the Potter films last month. I'll hop back in on some rewatches later in the series. They're all on HBO Now. Any way we can stream in a chatroom like with Netflix Party, but HBO?

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
what is this amateur hour

*eats entire pizza and then cries*
amateur what? Pizza-eating might be a profession but so is modeling. >:)

also. in ancient rome in the language of the romans there was a word for a lover, amator. The Italians thought this was a good word but they changed it a little so that the teacher didn't realize they'd just copied the romans' homework, and their word for lover became amatore. The french were like cela ne semble pas être la meilleure façon d'épeler and they changed it to amateur. Then the English were like "oy gov'ner I'm a lad who loves to do this thing but it ain't me profession, see. I know, I'm an amateur!" And that's how the word amateur was born. So the next time you call someone an amateur just know that you're recognizing that they love what they do despite not getting paid for it.

That's my golden rule and it checks out
I make an exception if it's late and I haven't eaten anything all day, but that's it.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
amateur what? Pizza-eating might be a profession but so is modeling. >:)

also. in ancient rome in the language of the romans there was a word for a lover, amator. The Italians thought this was a good word but they changed it a little so that the teacher didn't realize they'd just copied the romans' homework, and their word for lover became amatore. The french were like cela ne semble pas être la meilleure façon d'épeler and they changed it to amateur. Then the English were like "oy gov'ner I'm a lad who loves to do this thing but it ain't me profession, see. I know, I'm an amateur!" And that's how the word amateur was born. So the next time you call someone an amateur just know that you're recognizing that they love what they do despite not getting paid for it.

I make an exception if it's late and I haven't eaten anything all day, but that's it.
O___o

Holy balls that makes perfect sense

Thank you for showing be etymology can be cool

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Into the Breach is really damn good.
It's so good, but i'm having the very same issues with it that i have with FTL - namely that i always feel like i deserve the 'perfect' playthrough and abandon timeline as soon as i fuck up :P

I simply cannot accept only a partial victory in these games. I have learned to force myself to accept some grid damage, but if i were to lose a pilot - ABANDON TIMELINE!

The game's systems are so good though, and getting those perfect combos like i'll hit that bug so it'll miss its attack, but it's now also standing on top of an another bug that would emerge next turn, thereby blocking that bug and at the same time receiving fatal damage - sooooo satisfying

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm only 10 minutes into Cloverfield Paradox and the acting is hilarious bad, I can't believe what I'm watching here, wtf is this shit!?

EDIT: Yep, lasted about 20 minutes and gave up. Dog poo. Most overhyped franchise ever, zero substance. Previous two movies were mediocre too. I ain't ever paying to see this shit Abrams! Stick to Star Wars!

Last edited:

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
you can't get fat if you only eat two slices
c95k2g83mevz.jpg

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'm only 10 minutes into Cloverfield Paradox and the acting is hilarious bad, I can't believe what I'm watching here, wtf is this shit!?

EDIT: Yep, lasted about 20 minutes and gave up. Dog poo. Most overhyped franchise ever, zero substance. Previous two movies were mediocre too. I ain't ever paying to see this shit Abrams! Stick to Star Wars!
I don't know why you gave it a try if you thought the previous two movies were mediocre. That'd be like expecting Star Wars 9 or Solo to be good movies.

O___o

Holy balls that makes perfect sense

Thank you for showing be etymology can be cool
I was forced to learn Latin in high school and becoming an etymology geek is basically the only usefulness that's ever provided me :P

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
It's so good, but i'm having the very same issues with it that i have with FTL - namely that i always feel like i deserve the 'perfect' playthrough and abandon timeline as soon as i fuck up :P

I simply cannot accept only a partial victory in these games. I have learned to force myself to accept some grid damage, but if i were to lose a pilot - ABANDON TIMELINE!

The game's systems are so good though, and getting those perfect combos like i'll hit that bug so it'll miss its attack, but it's now also standing on top of an another bug that would emerge next turn, thereby blocking that bug and at the same time receiving fatal damage - sooooo satisfying
I like having fuck ups that carry over. Being able to adapt to adversity is what I love about these games.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I like having fuck ups that carry over. Being able to adapt to adversity is what I love about these games.
ironically, i feel like mech pilots are the most easily replaced 'resource' ... intuitively, you feel like losing a pilot is the worst that can happen to you, but a single time pod can have a new (experienced) pilot AND a power core. - so now i'm a bit more lenient with regards to losses.

Learning that - unless you do an actual ATTACK you can roll back all 3 of your mech's moves was a godsend. I still had to abandon timeline just now because i accidentally punched my own mech buddy to death :(

i love how you're learning new 'strategies' the more you play the game. Like, just a few campaigns ago, i had the realization, that it can be a tactical move to smack an enemy against a building - like, if the bug's charging up a 2 damage attack, it's better to sacrifice 1 damage to the building if that means killing the bug while doing so.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I roll with the punches when it comes to XCOM2 iron man mode but FTL is a lot less forgiving if you screw up a missiom.

I want to give They Are Billions a go

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are definitely still mech specific achievements you can get still get with a custom squad.

Finally managed a successful run last night (only two islands) with punchy, laser and that rocket launcher mech that spawns a smoke cloud. Came into the final fight with 6 energy and scraped out the win with one left.

I roll with the punches when it comes to XCOM2 iron man mode but FTL is a lot less forgiving if you screw up a mission.

I want to give They Are Billions a go

TAB is very unforgiving, but pretty cool.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't impressed with the last 2-3 Tropicos, so I think I'll wait.
Yeah I didn't play those, but watching some videos recently make it look really darn interesting.
Yup, that one wasn't on my radar until recently - and it looks really really neat. Not sure if i'm gonna jump in at release, i think i'll wait for it to be on sale for sub €30
Yeah, $40 is a maybe a tad steep. If it was $30 I'd be in no questions asked.

I should just go back to my PlayStation and finish Yakuza 0 finally.

Tchetil

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the Before the Storm bonus episode and I'm pretty sure I'll never be happy again.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's raining, so Chinese tonight so I don't have to go out and get wet. Had to tip kind of large since it's raining and all, and they make you order $15 for delivery. That is a ton of Chinese food. I am going to have food for like three meals.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I used to order multiple meals back when Amazon was like hey spend forty bucks on dinner or we'll charge you for delivery. Now they just charge you for delivery always. Three meals for fifteen bucks is tiny.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I usually eat out too for lunch and often even dinner (at least takeaway from the deil, like pasta you just heat up at home) too, and that's about $10 a meal. But geez, delivery Chinese? I'll probably have to throw half of it away before I can eat it. It was even more than I was anticipating. I had a little bit of everything and there's still a giant bag of the stuff in the kitchen.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I used to order multiple meals back when Amazon was like hey spend forty bucks on dinner or we'll charge you for delivery. Now they just charge you for delivery always. Three meals for fifteen bucks is tiny.

What'd you do with the multiple meals? Save them in the fridge or try to eat it all at once? : p

I'm not a big eater but I'm bad at cooking so I order food and then wind up up not finishing it all because the portions are too big and restaurants won't deliver if you don't meet a certain price.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know why you gave it a try if you thought the previous two movies were mediocre. That'd be like expecting Star Wars 9 or Solo to be good movies.

I was forced to learn Latin in high school and becoming an etymology geek is basically the only usefulness that's ever provided me :P

Etymology is one of those things that I wished I had studied in uni.

I'm a history nerd so etymology would be up my angle.

Did you know the word for idiot comes from Latin idiota which comes from Greek's idiotes?

Idiotes meant a person completely concerned with their private life rather than public life. They were idiotes because they didn't vote nor engage in politics.

The original connotation was about how selfish the person was which over time shifted to bad judgement and stupidity on the part of a person.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What'd you do with the multiple meals? Save them in the fridge or try to eat it all at once? : p

I'm not a big eater but I'm bad at cooking so I order food and then wind up up not finishing it all because the portions are too big and restaurants won't deliver if you don't meet a certain price.
Save in the fridge. I'm not above reheating food.

Etymology is one of those things that I wished I had studied in uni.

I'm a history nerd so etymology would be up my angle.

Did you know the word for idiot comes from Latin idiota which comes from Greek's idiotes?

Idiotes meant a person completely concerned with their private life rather than public life. They were idiotes because they didn't vote nor engage in politics.

The original connotation was about how selfish the person was which over time shifted to bad judgement and stupidity on the part of a person.
To be honest, my understanding of greek barely stretches past what I've heard ad nauseum from christian pastors, like the fish symbol being ichthus or there being three different words for love.

That's cool though. One of my favorite etymologies is how villain, someone who lived in a farm villa, mutated into "someone the elitist city folk didn't like" and eventually just a bad person in general.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Save in the fridge. I'm not above reheating food.

Re-heated pizza tastes even better than regular pizza.

Destroy my microwave if I'm wrong.

To be honest, my understanding of greek barely stretches past what I've heard ad nauseum from christian pastors, like the fish symbol being ichthus or there being three different words for love.

That's cool though. One of my favorite etymologies is how villain, someone who lived in a farm villa, mutated into "someone the elitist city folk didn't like" and eventually just a bad person in general.

That's one of my favorites too. Villain is such a cool word.

In contrast, hero was originally just another word for demi-god. People born above the rest of us mere mortals but then that shifted in its meaning to mean just a brave dude with a good heart.

So villain and hero were really on opposite sides even in the beginning.

It's the contrasting of a serf and a demi-god.

-------

[

And the word nerd comes from nert which comes from nut.

Nut being American slang for a stupid/crazy person. And a nutter is the British form of that word.

Nutter = Nut=Nert= Nerd

That's about all I got atm.

https://www.etymonline.com/

Reading this used to be a hobby of mine.