• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man, I forgot to finish the quests related to the divine beasts in Breath of the Wild so now the DLC quest won't launch. Sigh. Time to go back and figure out who I forgot to talk to.

I can't believe I'm still playing this game. I don't think I've put this many hours into a game since Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Saw an albino peacock while we were out near the coast side for our Biology Lab field trip. Was awesome.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I put both of those games down after getting bored at the ~10 - 15 hour mark.

Oh man, both had me hooked (still hooked on Zelda). AC: BF was the best in the series, right up there with 2 and better since it had more robust tertiary type stuff to do. I think, not counting MMO's, the games I have played the most are:

1. Baldur's Gate (I learned how to program developing cheats for it back in high school), then came back for the enhanced edition
2. inFAMOUS: Second Son - three complete playthroughs plus the DLC
3. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild
5. Skyrim

All over 60 hours. Baldur's Gate probably closer to 300 hours

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
lol

I dd everything, even the boring gathering shit.

Man what a disappointment this Zelda DLC is so far. Just tedious ultra hard mode shit. I guess Nintendo is still in learning mode when it comes to this stuff.
yeah, I think I gathered pretty much everything my first play through. I've tried playing as evil a couple times now and I never get very far. I like the challenge of playing good better. Did you do the Paper Trail thing that they had?

The Zelda DLC is laughably mediocre. It's just more of the same, and there were already too many samey shrines. Then your prize is a motorcycle lol.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I think I gathered pretty much everything my first play through. I've tried playing as evil a couple times now and I never get very far. I like the challenge of playing good better. Did you do the Paper Trail thing that they had?

The Zelda DLC is laughably mediocre. It's just more of the same, and there were already too many samey shrines. Then your prize is a motorcycle lol.

The Zelda DLC is great but its timing (both with regards to release as well as when it's accessible within the story) is rather bonkers.
It's kinda placed as "late-game" seeing as you can only access it when you're done with pretty much everything but killing Ganon - but the items you get are worthless, the reduced cooldowns on abilities is a nice but insignificant QoL improvement, and the bike is just a toy.

The best added features were the "teleporting" horse armor, and the 'Hearthstone' you could place. - Both of which should have arguably been part of the game from day 1. (i'd argue neither would have been detrimental to the game's amazing sense of exploration - since there's a huge network of shrines all over the place anyways, so it's not like the Harthstone's gonna make you fast travel any more than you previously would have. It'd just shave off that extra minute each time you need to glide down from the shrine to Tarrey Town, for example - by taking you straight to the merchants there.

I did enjoy the DLC shrines though, since they were high quality ones and i hadn't gone back to playing the game for months by that time. ("Yay! More of the same!") I don't think new owners of the game are going to enjoy them very much. ("... yay. more of the same...")

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
The Zelda DLC is great but its timing (both with regards to release as well as when it's accessible within the story) is rather bonkers.
It's kinda placed as "late-game" seeing as you can only access it when you're done with pretty much everything but killing Ganon - but the items you get are worthless, the reduced cooldowns on abilities is a nice but insignificant QoL improvement, and the bike is just a toy.

The best added features were the "teleporting" horse armor, and the 'Hearthstone' you could place. - Both of which should have arguably been part of the game from day 1. (i'd argue neither would have been detrimental to the game's amazing sense of exploration - since there's a huge network of shrines all over the place anyways, so it's not like the Harthstone's gonna make you fast travel any more than you previously would have. It'd just shave off that extra minute each time you need to glide down from the shrine to Tarrey Town, for example - by taking you straight to the merchants there.

I did enjoy the DLC shrines though, since they were high quality ones and i hadn't gone back to playing the game for months by that time. ("Yay! More of the same!") I don't think new owners of the game are going to enjoy them very much. ("... yay. more of the same...")
That's an astute analysis but it's ignoring one crucial thing: I only liked a handful of the shrines in the first place :P (the prison maze one, the dark cave one, and other shrines where getting to the shrine itself was the goal)

silly me for assuming there would be more something along the lines of divine beasts or an actual dungeon.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's an astute analysis but it's ignoring one crucial thing: I only liked a handful of the shrines in the first place :P (the prison maze one, the dark cave one, and other shrines where getting to the shrine itself was the goal)

silly me for assuming there would be more something along the lines of divine beasts or an actual dungeon.

Well, there was one. It is kinda silly to expect more than 1 new dungeon of a game that, in it's entirety, only had 4 (5 if you count Hyrule Castle). ;)

DLC2 was of very similar composition to the main game, actually - just less of each ingredient.
While the main game had 120 shrines and 4 divine beasts, and a bit of actual Storytelling (mostly via flashbacks), the DLC has like ... 16(?) shrines, one divine beast and .... a bit of actual Story (entirely via flashbacks).

I agree with you that it was very mediocre - but a mediocre DLC in BotW (at least to me) was so much more enjoyable than a decent, or even good, DLC in other open world games. Like, i didn't play the Horizon DLC because i was done with that world. Shadow of Mordor's DLC was shit. Most Assassin's Creed games' DLC are rather pointless.

Tchetil

Oct 28, 2017
Hellooo

I really wanna rewatch Hannibal, but it's not on Netflix anymore.
giphy.gif

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching "The OA" and that show's not at all what i was expecting. And not necessarily in a good way. Like, i was expecting this to be some huge SciFi mystery.
But it feels like some kind of
spiritual thing

No need to give me pointers on where the show goes, btw ... i'm gonna sit that one through. It's just weird. It's soooo slow.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Currently watching "The OA" and that show's not at all what i was expecting. And not necessarily in a good way. Like, i was expecting this to be some huge SciFi mystery.
But it feels like some kind of
spiritual thing

No need to give me pointers on where the show goes, btw ... i'm gonna sit that one through. It's just weird. It's soooo slow.

I actually really liked The OA but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I can see why people wouldn't like it though, it's answers are "unique". I'm a fan of Brit Marlin though so I was too surprised with the directions it takes.

Thought I wouldn't like that interpretive dance but actually thought it was pretty interesting and well choreographed.

Ending was... i like the idea more than the execution.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked The OA but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I can see why people wouldn't like it though, it's answers are "unique". I'm a fan of Brit Marlin though so I was too surprised with the directions it takes.

Thought I wouldn't like that interpretive dance but actually thought it was pretty interesting and well choreographed.

Ending was... i like the idea more than the execution.
yeah, i'm super intrigued, still ... i just ... like, i wanna know more, but the dripfeed of exposition is just so incredibly drippy ;)

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, i'm super intrigued, still ... i just ... like, i wanna know more, but the dripfeed of exposition is just so incredibly drippy ;)

Ha! Yeah. Can't imagine what the wait for answers would've been like if I couldn't marathon this on Netflix. An episode a week would kill any momentum this show would have for me in regular networks.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Ha! Yeah. Can't imagine what the wait for answers would've been like if I couldn't marathon this on Netflix. An episode a week would kill any momentum this show would have for me in regular networks.

I have time for 2 episodes a day - my girlfriend's been gone since Sat, so I've been having plenty of idle time :)

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I don't think The OA would work if it was faster. It's very much a journey show, not a destination one. It'd be hard to really feel the gravity of the situation she went through if she told the story faster.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think The OA would work if it was faster. It's very much a journey show, not a destination one. It'd be hard to really feel the gravity of the situation she went through if she told the story faster.

Best moments of the show for me were the slow ones. I wouldn't mind if they added another episode with Jason Issacs and Brit Marling just sitting around the dinner table again. Those two together were incredible.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's wonderful. I started watching no questions asked when I heard he was in it.

He was pretty much the reason I started watching, too - he's a great actor and seems to be an overall rather fantastic guy.

edit: Fuckin finally -
they just healed Scott
. Now we're talking!

edit2: Yeah, i'm totally on board with
traveling to other planes of existence via expressionist dance

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
He was pretty much the reason I started watching, too - he's a great actor and seems to be an overall rather fantastic guy.

edit: Fuckin finally -
they just healed Scott
. Now we're talking!

edit2: Yeah, i'm totally on board with
traveling to other planes of existence via expressionist dance
oh my gosh, I'm all about the expressionist dance stuff! :)

btw, speaking of Jason Isaacs, did you see A Cure for Wellness? A super underrated film in my opinion.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

Yep, I even got the stuff in the mail for the ARG. Good times. I think I still have it somewhere around here.

I don't think I'm going to even do this Zelda DLC. What a let down.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bro, bro.

PUBG runs far, far better on my new setup, it also fixed the controller quirks somehow, but I still can't chose the other control scheme that the Xbox version has.

Tuna pizza? You are a sick individual.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
oh my gosh, I'm all about the expressionist dance stuff! :)

btw, speaking of Jason Isaacs, did you see A Cure for Wellness? A super underrated film in my opinion.
Nope. I'd love to see him playing not a villain for once. Any suggestions?

Also, whoa the show's just 8 episodes - just finished it, and
That ending sure was something ... I was kinda dreading the whole "crazy unreliable narrator all along" thing. When someone's called Homer, i think of the Illyad first... Too dumb of a name to not be a plot point. And then we got the whole "maybe it was destiny, still..." thing.
While i don't really think the show quite stuck the landing with that ending, it sure wasn't something i could've entirely predicted. I could have not foreseen that this 2 year old show's ending might be so very topical right now ...

In retrospect, the season being only 8 episodes kind of negates my pacing complains.

How safe is it to eat pizza that's been sitting out for 24 hours
Depends. do you have cats?
I'm saying this, because what you think is just hairy pizza, might just be your cat. Double check before you take a bite

Last edited:

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
PUBG runs far, far better on my new setup, it also fixed the controller quirks somehow
Hey, congrats! New PCs are so fun.

Nope. I'd love to see him playing not a villain for once. Any suggestions?

Also, whoa the show's just 8 episodes - just finished it, and
That ending sure was something ... I was kinda dreading the whole "crazy unreliable narrator all along" thing. When someone's called Homer, i think of the Illyad first... Too dumb of a name to not be a plot point. And then we got the whole "maybe it was destiny, still..." thing.
While i don't really think the show quite stuck the landing with that ending, it sure wasn't something i could've entirely predicted. I could have not foreseen that this 2 year old show's ending might be so very topical right now ...

In retrospect, the season being only 8 episodes kind of negates my pacing complains.
Aww, I like him as a villain. I'm not sure I'd like him as just a guy.

He plays captain in Star Trek Discovery but I don't believe in paying for the CBS platform.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
He plays captain in Star Trek Discovery but I don't believe in paying for the CBS platform.

I loved him on Discovery. Outside of the US it's on Netflix.

I fell in love with him even more during last year's Vienna ComicCon where he told the (super cringy and bad) panel host / interviewer that he'd be handling his panel by himself. He oozed charisma, shared some great anecdotes, answered questions honestly and creatively and was an overall fantastic entertainer for 90 minutes.

Meanwhile, John Rhys Davies before him was just tired, had bad hearing and randomly quoted Gimli to get the audience to clap :/