• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm so confused by this quote of my post when I don't think it even fits the criteria you listed though. I don't think I've minimized Minecraft or said that it's not worthy of smash, I just said that Steve is a nothing character which he kind of is. I feel like Steve at best should be an assist trophy and Minecraft representation should mostly be one really creative map instead, or something to that extent.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
The disconnect is apparent. My kids are absolutely thrilled with the announcement. The idea that this is somehow worse than the rest of the DLC is laughable since we're up to our ears in anime assholes yet they continued to announce more.

Steve and Alex are gaming icons.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I like good stuff from the generations below and above me.
I dislike bad stuff from the generations below and above me.

Minecraft is good.
Steve from Minecraft is a laughable boring character when there are so many others to pick from.

This topic is not a dichotomy.

There is a difference between "I don't like the character, he's not for me" and the "SMASH IS RUINED" we got from a lot of knee jerk reactions.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I like how OP tries to frame his post as some eloquent critique on the community and proceeds to dump a wall of shame on it.

You can't be above the shit and still fling it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't really get the 'minecraft is a game for children and shouldn't be in smash' argument when smash is a game containing various characters designed for kids in the 80s and 90s.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do agree the comments were way, way over the top for what this is, and this is a great example of why I've had no interest in engaging with the Smash community on here, ever since the backlash towards insiders for dashing their Grinch leak dreams. That said.....the one comment about being reminded of how ugly Minecraft is seems pretty valid to me, lol. I actually really like Minecraft's look overall (even if the characters are ugly to me) but I think it's fair to not like the way it looks in Smash contrasted with everything else, especially Steve and Alex themselves.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Guess y'all don't understand what EVERYONE is here means.

You should also look up Mugen.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I knew there was some people upset with it, but damn didn't know it was that bad.

Personally I'm happy with Steve & Alex. I initially dismissed Minecraft as a lame kids game about 8 years ago, I had a friend who told me he'd refund me the money if I still hated the game after he taught me how to play.

Now a days it's one of my favorite games ever, it's timeless and super chill to go back to. I'm not a fan of creative mode, but Survival is absolutely amazing IMO.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Some of these quotes were just "I would rather have other character" and i don't see anything wrong with that.

The other ones are just "welcome to the internet" level of hate. Of course Era is a bubble, but i feel like most people here are aware of the fact and it's kind of obvious that popular Minecraft character on Smash means A LOT of new sales.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Just because a character is popular doesn't mean you have to like their inclusion. People want characters they have strong, often nostalgic, feelings for. It makes sense that people who aren't into Minecraft aren't happy with the choice. I, personally, don't like the choice but I understand why they chose him.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
ERA has always been a bubble but this announcement just made it extra clear for folks that didn't know.

That wall of shame is hilarious btw, thanks OP.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
My only real problem with Steve originally was the possibility of him getting in before Banjo & Kazooie (due to both being owned by Microsoft). Of course, that's now water under the bridge, considering they both got in lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The peak toxicity on here is when news breaks. Every single social media place I've ever seen they lose their shit to some of the most banal stuff. It's wild. I honestly don't know how people find that kind of edgy over and over again can't be healthy.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just posted in the other thread my disappointment. Thanks Mama Robotnik for making this thread. Seeing a lot of those posts were genuinely depressing to read. I guess I was a fool that expected better.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Minecraft.

I'm completely fine with a character being added from Minecraft because the game is popular.

That's really all I have to add to the discussion.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, they're not wrong when they say Minecraft's aesthetic looks gross.

It is pretty funny that some people who are likely big Mario and/or Kirby fans are upset about a character that appeals to zoomers tho

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What bothers me most is that people can't seem to understand how many new gameplay mechanics and possibilities this induced. It should be celebrated for that alone.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm so confused by this quote of my post when I don't think it even fits the criteria you listed though. I don't think I've minimized Minecraft or said that it's not worthy of smash, I just said that Steve is a nothing character which he kind of is. I feel like Steve at best should be an assist trophy and Minecraft representation should mostly be one really creative map instead, or something to that extent.
TBF though the game already has Wii Fit Trainer, Game & Watch, Duck Hunt Dog, ROB, Villager, and Piranha Plant. None of them are characters. Technically speaking none of the multitude of Pokemon are either.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Never make the mistake to think that Era represents the average gamer or consumer.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra is not a bastion of truth or reality.
It a bubble within a bubble of a bubble.
Bubbleception

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
That huge wall of salt of embarrassment though lmao

Thats' not just it. There are way more that aren't included in the wall. It's disappointing that people can't even being happy for anyone. It does feel like the community with some people has become way too entitled and blinded to youths who just happens to enjoy same industry as we do or did.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed in the same way I was disappointed in Byleth. Characters that don't interest me. Doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be in the game.

Personally, Terry was amazing, yet we had to go through endless moaning first about him not deserving a spot because "nobody knows who he is" and "not relevant" etc. and then even more from people who somehow couldn't figure out his OPTIONAL inputs.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
This man really exposed lmaooo

Yeah OG thread was pretty sad with the takes.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
it's especially hilarious when someone says a Smash character "doesn't fit" as if Smash isn't about putting characters together that don't fit lol

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
More OPs need walls of shame posts imo, it seems effective

Anyway, it's really easy to tell the age range of era's demographic because anything with TikTok drives a bunch of users going full "old man yells at cloud" about stuff on there

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i mean... i agree with you on most of your points, but a lot of people you quoted there are just not happy or a not a fan of the character and that's it... there's nothing wrong with that (yeah there's terrible quote in there, but a lot don't deserve to be on this "wall of shame")

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why people who bought the character passes are mad. You basically gamble because the companies don't tell you who the characters are and you lose sometimes and get a bad pick. Others can choose not to buy the character if they dont like it. It aint JUST because everyone in Era IS OLD but just different tastes. Its good to note that this game and Bandai Namco games are the only ones left who still hides who the characters are in their season passes. Capcom always shows who's coming when they have a character pass now.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
So, I'm out of touch because I don't care about a popular game? K

tenor.gif

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I don't play Smash I don't play Minecraft, these news don't matter to me at all, but I hate how OP gets angry just because people didn't like the new character. Yes some opinions go a bit overboard in displaying how much they don't like it but not everyone has to like the new character. Get that in your head.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played Minecraft and I think he's a great addition.

I feel like guest characters on Smash should be iconic video game characters.

Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time, and hugely influential.

The character clearly plays very differently and looks interesting and I'm so glad it's not another swordsman.

Sure I have my hopes for the last few spots (would love someone from Resident Evil, Doom Slayer or Master Chief) but I already got Ridley which I thought would never happen.

Oct 25, 2017
You quoted me because I think the character is a boring choice?

The fuck lmao?

Am I supposed to like every character choice? What kinda nonsense is that?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
i mean... i agree with you on most of your points, but a lot of people you quoted there are just not happy or a not a fan of the character and that's it... there's nothing wrong with that (yeah there's terrible quote in there, but a lot don't deserve to be on this "wall of shame")

Cause if you aren't happy you deserved to be shamed according to OP.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, this thread alerted me (because I'm in that wall of quotes not once but twice)
I just want to say that I am definitely still disappointed by this inclusion on a personal level and I stand by not liking the aesthetics (actually, the world of Minecraft looks fine it's just that the characters look and animate like some placeholder thrown together in a few hours, that I don't like) and the creator.
That said, I obviously recognize that this is a huge get for Smash Bros. and it's gonna appeal to lots of different people. And it's cool that this will bring a lot of new people to Smash Bros.
I already bought the second Fighters Pass so I'm not gonna complain about it being a waste of my money or whatever.
It's just something that doesn't appeal to me at all. Not every character has to appeal to me though and I'm fine with that. Didn't care much for Min Min either.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The smash community has never struck me as being particularly restrained. Not sure why anyone would be surprised by a forceful reaction.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Opinions exist. He's not the first character I thought was a bad choice and he probably won't be the last. This is such a sad thread, tbh. You're making things a bigger deal than they really are. An glaring issue in this forum.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Well, from my POV, I've been a member of this/previous forum for 15 years, give or take and a member of the gaming industry for longer, and the reason I like coming here is because it's not reflective of the gaming industry in any real way. It's it's own small microcosm with a perspective I find interesting and engaging. But to think it's represents the industry or speaks for anything other than itself, I don't know. the forum should be proud of what it is, it's a great niche, but sometimes I do wish overall the movement was more of a celebration of gaming versus a takedown of 'other' sides of it.

I don't play minecraft personally, but to deny it's impact and importance for hundreds of millions of people globally is pretty head-in-the-sand

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
If Resetera was your only frame of reference for gaming you would think that first person shooters are not popular and most people lose interest in a game when it's revealed an FPS, that battle royales are niche, fighting games are the biggest competitive games, etc.

Needless to say, this forum doesn't represents the popular opinions in gaming of the latest 20 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.