• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Great job with the data and tabulating the result. Thank you for putting in the time and effort.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Oh man... this is awesome! Thank you so much! We're super grateful for this community.
Thank you and everyone at Naughty Dog! The passion and love was felt throughout the game. Especially in regards to the accessibility team who went above and beyond. I have a health issues that makes playing games very difficult and I really appreciated how thoughtful the options were in this game :)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats and never make an RPG that genre is evil.
giphy.gif

Don't listen to them Neil, I would kill for a Naughty Dog RPG or immersive sim

That's an incredible top 10. So glad to see Demon's Souls right up there at #7.
It's much higher than I expected, and while I'm salty at Nioh 2 not placing (it was my #1, sigh), that's a decent silver lining haha

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
No problem. In my opinion, the platform awards we posted are probably the most interesting data we collected. Seeing not only who played what where, but where a game was liked the most, is super interesting to me.

Yah that data would be pretty good. I don't strictly keep track mostly because it wasn't tracked as much previously. That being said you can still sorta see breakdown of users each year based off of the amount of exclusives voted on or ports to PC/another system doing well that come out after its initial release.

Just some quick eyeball at this, seeing what games are associated to each system for voting is interesting. Like Streets of Rage 4 with Xbox, which was on GamePass, or AC: Valhalla with Xbox (Which around release on PS5 had stiffer competition in initial window + close to end of 2020). Indies scoring high on both Switch/PS4 versus PC and Half Life Alyx (which is supposed to be insane) fairly low in comparison to praise, tells a good comparison of mix of users on here. Both top scoring PC games had sub 80 votes (And combined less total votes than a niche title like 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim got).

Two that did shock me were Spiritfarer as Switch, and Wasteland 3 as PS4. Both were GamePass title's

Anyways, thanks again!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Oh man... this is awesome! Thank you so much! We're super grateful for this community.

This may be my only opportunity to ever directly address you sir, so I wanted to thank you and the entire team for making The Last of Us 2. It is the most meaningful and impactful piece of media I've ever experienced and rarely a day goes by that I don't think about it in some way.

Thank you, and I can't wait to see what y'all do next :)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Plenty of games in there that I want to but haven't been able to play: Yakuza 7, both Ori games, Murder by Numbers, Hades (will play on PS5 or Series X, refuse to play on Switch), FF7 Remake, 13 Sentinels, among others...

I never vote in these, but it's nice to see TLoU2 get the recognition it deserves, it really is an incredible achievement in gaming, narratively and technically speaking. I wonder what Naughty Dog's cooking, it's astonishing that they've been on a roll for over a decade now, it's like Uncharted 2 started a new era for them. (And yes, there are valid concerns to be had regarding some pressing topics, we're all aware)

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
This is basically it. Alyx has a high cost of entry. From what I've heard it's easily the best game released this year, it just never had a shot at winning because no one played it.

Well as for this forum I wouldn't expect it to be very high on the list anyways. Outside? Yeah I think it peaked at 16K players. Almost 1K are playing it right now though. The amount of owners, though estimated due to stuff, is much way higher though. Over 2 million.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
lots of deserving games topping this list

the ps4 really went out with a bang. so many ps4 games scoring well

Indeed, I'm still amazed at how well the PS4's final year on its own was and how prepared they were for the PS5. While things are still in motion, it's incredible to think of the list of games that were planned for the PS5's first year. Shit happened with covid and all, but I admire their efforts nonetheless.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but that award is rather...loud in design. It hurts my brain to look at it due in part to the weird lighting colour palette, but also because 'goty' is not capitalised even though it's an acronym. Honestly could have gone for a lighter texture or flatter shape.

Voting-wise I expected the results listed, because at the end of the day this forum very much has its pulse on your average gamer's tastes. We are definitely niche, but most will enjoy the big hit titles because of the wide net they cast in being a AAA design. I'm surprised at Animal Crossing being lower, it has a lot of staying strength not just in sales but also the allure it creates with managing a real-time island.

Naughty Dog getting studio of the year was an...interesting choice. I know it's because of the Last of Us 2 performance and to celebrate the studio's efforts, but those efforts came at the cost of some incredible dev crunch time. It was a shame that the celebration lacked that information, as it would allow us to still recognise the efforts but that they went with a lot of sacrifice.

I have no horse in the race though, it was just far too cumbersome to vote once again. Can it simply be an open poll that everyone is able to add to, so that if you see your option you select it? Keep the results hidden to avoid skewing results, however such a way would encourage so much more voting presence with the ability to still add discussion to your votes in the comments.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A good amount of those were what I expected, and voted for. TLOU2 being GOTY. P5R getting JRPG. DOOM getting Eternal. THPS1/2 for sports.

Glad to see Hades there, too.

Last year had so many gems.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
While I'm disappointed some if my faves didn't place as high as I wanted(Nioh 2 not in top 20, DOOM not in top 10, Remind not anywhere), this is a fantastic list of games no one would be mad at.

2020 was great for games. I played 9 of the top 10 and they are all great

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I have no horse in the race though, it was just far too cumbersome to vote once again. Can it simply be an open poll that everyone is able to add to, so that if you see your option you select it? Keep the results hidden to avoid skewing results, however such a way would encourage so much more voting presence with the ability to still add discussion to your votes in the comments.
pretty sure this will never happen. going way back to gaf, the intention of this vote seems to have been to make people put some effort into their ballots. i agree with this decision. if you just want to vote in a poll without putting any effort in, there are other places to do that

also, it's funny that you complain about AAA doing well, and still suggest such a change, which i think would skew results even further in that direction. the current system allows passionate fans of smaller games to give them some attention

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The game of generation won, no surprises here 👏🏽

giphy.gif

5 Sony games in Top 10
9 PlayStation console exclusives in top 20

This is just wild.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever see anyone saying this site is Nintendo biased after these results lmao...

The new Zelda game that released last year isn't even anywhere to be seen

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing my Top 10 to ERA's list.... (ERA rank in parenthesis)

1. TLOU 2 (#1)
2. Animal Crossing (#5)
3. Final Fantasy VII Remake (#2)
4. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (#25)
5. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (#33)
6. Raji: An Ancient Epic (How the hell was I the only one to vote for this)
7. Ton Hawk 1+2 (#19)
8. Astro's Playroom (#9)
9. Hades (#3)
10. Jump Rope Challenge ( low)

Overall I hit a good chunk of the high notes this year. Considering my top three most hyped going into 2020 landed in the top 5 I consider that great! I have Miles Morales in the backlog and I still want to pick up Ghosts of Tsushima at some point.

Congrats to Sony on a dominating year. I think it was one of those years where the stars aligned. It isn't often you see a system maker finish a system lifecycle strong AND start the new one guns ablazing. I don't see them holding down the top 10 as well this year but that is ok.

Looking early at this year, it definitely feels like OTY will be wide open. There aren't as many early front runners it seems like there was last year. This fall is more of an unknown than what we would probably be used to but that makes it just as exciting. Bottom line, I don't see a TLOU-like domination this year.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I ever see anyone saying this site is Nintendo biased after these results lmao...

The new Zelda game that released last year isn't even anywhere to be seen

I didn't expect it to land in the top five, but I thought a top 20 would be easy.

If rumored games do pan out for 2021, I think Nintendo easily out performs on ERA's GOTY voting next time around.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
While it's in the Zelda universe, Age of Calamity was hardly a "new Zelda game". Had BotW 2 come out, that would be a different story.
Yeah but it was still a well received spinoff with hype. That it didn't make top 20 is shocking to me.

This was just on my mind because of the RE4 vs Prime thread had prime winning and all of the sudden "ERA is Nintendo biased," which makes looking at these results pretty funny

Not saying whether AoC deserved it or not, just that if this truly was NintendoERA, I feel the results would be different

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game of generation won, no surprises here 👏🏽

giphy.gif

5 Sony games in Top 10
9 PlayStation console exclusives in top 20

This is just wild.
I think the combination of delays (TLOU2 was afaik supposed to be a 2019 release), high quality end of gen titles and one of the best launch lineup for a new console made for an incredible year for Sony published games.

Congratulations to all the devs for all those amazing games listed in these rankings, Sony or not. You made 2020 a better year, and we needed it.

As for the #1 spot, incredibly deserved in my book, but I guess you could tell with my comments.
Last, thanks to B-Dubs and others for their work on the Era awards!

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Astro's Playroom is above Doom Eternal and Half Life Alyx

Astros Playroom is much better than Doom Eternal. With Alyx it being in VR was the issue. I mean Astrobot Rescue mission VR was better than most games in 2018 but still could not make it to the top spot because of VR.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Astros Playroom is much better than Doom Eternal. With Alyx it being in VR was the issue. I mean Astrobot Rescue mission VR was better than most games in 2018 but still could not make it to the top spot because of VR.
Astro Playroom is a 3 hour tech demo. Doom Eternal is one of the best FPS of the generation

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Astro's Playroom is the number one reason I want a PS5 actually lol, if it's anywhere close to how good rescue mission is I can see why it's on here.

though since it's included I hope we can vote for Bowser's Fury as an individual game this year, since that is very much it's own thing separate from 3D World. It would bother my OCD if not because I'll wanna vote for BF but not 3D World since I don't believe in remasters being GOTY :/ BF is as big or bigger than AP right?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
7 out of the top 10 games being PlayStation exclusives is crazy, this year for them was something else
I hope that you are ready to being tagged a lot in the OT now :)
Congrats to you and the team!