• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Please allow us to vote for more than 10 games. I don't know how one could possibly narrow down the essential games of the last decade to just 10 games

I do fear that doing any more could result in a much more severe version of what happened in GOTY this year, that a game that everyone likes/respects (but few people adore) would win over a game that has some real champions

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
tumblr_pq33but5pA1t5o3va_400.gif

Don't be sad Deacon, your time will come next gen !

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play KH3, was it that bad? To barely scrape the top 20 is crazy considering the hype around it. I feel like it got forgotten about very quickly.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
For 2018, I voted for a remake as my number one choice (Yakuza Kiwami 2), but when the results were posted, I discovered it wasn't eligible for the top 20 because it was a remake. For 2019, I voted for a remake as my number one choice and it took the top spot.

580b585b2edbce24c47b29f4.png

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
In what way did that happen this year?

Resident Evil 2 winning despite being only 4th in terms of #1 votes, whereas a game with a ton of number one votes like Shadowbringers is completely shut out.

It's not inherently a bad thing, I just prefer to recognized the more divisive but truly "great" over the very very good

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Some head scratchers in the top 20 and always disappointing to see how Era neglects MP titles, but no surprise in that regard. Pretty good list overall.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 winning despite being only 4th in terms of #1 votes, whereas a game with a ton of number one votes like Shadowbringers is completely shut out.

It's not inherently a bad thing, I just prefer to recognized the more divisive but truly "great" over the very very good
It's a bummer that FF14 didn't make the top 20, but to be fair, the number of #1 votes for RE2 is an order of magnitude greater than the amount that Shadowbringers got

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This just proved to me that more of you need to play Shadowbringers. I would love to see the % of people who played it who had it as #1.

67 people voted for Shadowbringers. 34 had it at #1, and an additional 21 had it at #2 or #3. It has the highest average score per ballot of any game this year (excluding stuff that was only on a single ballot at #1), so you are indeed correct that had more people played it it might've done very well!

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Few adore", RE2 had only 11 less 1st places votes than DS.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
67 people voted for it. 34 had it at #1, and an additional 21 had it at #2 or #3. It has the highest average score per ballot (excluding stuff that was only on a single ballot at #1), so you are indeed correct that had more people played it it might've done very well!
I forgot to make a ballot this year, partly because I didn't play many games, the main culprit being I played 450 hours of FFXIV. It would have been #2.

Oh well

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's a bummer that FF14 didn't make the top 20, but to be fair, the number of #1 votes for RE2 is an order of magnitude greater than the amount that Shadowbringers got

Yeah I'm not super upset about it, it's just an interesting quirk of how people play games (especially large timesinks like FF14)

"Few adore", RE2 had only 11 less 1st places votes than DS.

This would be more relevant for a GOTD discussion. I don't have as much of an issue with RE2 winning this year, I was more saying that a result like that could be exacerbated on a larger ballot.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PC VR had some impressive games in Asgard's Wrath and Stormland this year but Truth & Blood was probably the best Time Crisis like game I have played this millenium (with an entertaining and well acted London action story). It was let down by the PS Move hardware unfortunately, would probably be my number 1 VR title otherwise.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So only 1042 people voted, did I get that right?
Worse than last year? Damn rip video games

unknown.png

2020 is gonna turn shit around tho, I can feel it. New console hype, whatever big Nintendo games they got, TLOU 2, Doom, Cyberpunk, I think enthusiasm is gonna be higher if they all deliver.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to play Shadowbringers but I hate the idea of a monthly fee for a single game, as it would put pressure on me to play as much of that game as I possibly could during that time frame, otherwise I would feel like my money is going to waste; that would mean shunning other games, and I couldn't really do that. Plus, I'm behind on FFXIV anyways, having only beaten ARR, so I'd have to either rush through the previous expansions or pay even more money just to get to the new stuff, and that didn't seem very appealing either. So yeah it makes sense that more people haven't played it, as there is a pretty high barrier to entry imo.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty solid top ten, and I'm really happy to see Fire Emblem in the top 3.

Overall, 2019 was a pretty strong year, and now we just have to see what 2020 brings.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

2020 is gonna turn shit around tho, I can feel it. New console hype, whatever big Nintendo games they got, TLOU 2, Doom, Cyberpunk, I think enthusiasm is gonna be higher if they all deliver.
I think 2017 is throwing things out of proportion a little cause holy shit that year. GAF had this too. Just compare the votes in 2015 with Bloodborne, Witcher 3, MGS5 to 2012, when Journey won GOTY.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
So only 1042 people voted, did I get that right?

I mean there wasn't that uber popular ~10 million selling 1st party game(or a Rockstar/CDPR tier 3rd party release) to drive excitement. Hence all the '2019 was weak' talk. Which I couldn't disagree with more. My personal favorite gaming year since 2015 hands down.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for putting this together folks!

Surprised to see Baba is You in the top20, but gladly so, it was my #5

Game of the decade will be tough to pick

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I liked Untitled Goose Game so I should now move onto the other best games in it's Genre *checks notes* Anno 1800 and VA 11 HALL A???

That "Simulator" genre is kind of a mess, lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
67 people voted for Shadowbringers. 34 had it at #1, and an additional 21 had it at #2 or #3. It has the highest average score per ballot of any game this year (excluding stuff that was only on a single ballot at #1), so you are indeed correct that had more people played it it might've done very well!

Vindication!

PLAY FFXIV SHADOWBRINGERS. YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

unknown.png

the extra ballots accounts for all of the PC users who got banned

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So can we get an answer if those that typed XIV instead of 14 for Shadowbringers actually counted or not?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't really fault the top 20 picks. A bit disappointed in the individual genres, it seems obvious that in many cases the only one people played was voted. I mean, Untitled Goose Game just dwarved all real sims, likewise CTR murdered a lot of great racing games from this year for sheer popularity alone. Still, kudos to all the winners.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

there just wasn't that one big game everyone could rally around and say "yep, GOTY" like BotW or God of War

for comparison, with a very similar amount of ballots, God of War got 330 #1 votes and ended up with 2,351 points. RE2 ended up with a point total very close to Spider-Man, very solid, very polished,very accessible B+ game that everybody at least liked if not loved. But in absence of any big juggernauts it took GOTY.

I doubt that'll happen again this year.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I agree on Apex Legends not being on there is a shame, one of the best online shooters I've ever played and it's F2P.

DooD1234

Oct 26, 2017
I totally expected Resident Evil and Sekiro to rank very high but I'm actually surprised Fire Emblem ranked as high as it did. That made me happy for it to have some recognition. Here hoping Fire Emblem gets even better.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That publisher gap. Oh my.

Glad to see FE, StS, RE2 and LM3 getting the credit they deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.