• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting seeing how "homogenous" the platform lists are - and I don't mean that in a bad way. For PC, PS4, and XBox, Disco Elysium and Death Stranding are the only exclusive games on the list, and I believe both are going multiplatform this year.

A lot of that is probably because the generation is winding down, but I always like seeing the best games being platform agnostic.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Don't see AI Dungeon listed anywhere. Was it listed as pc or mobile or both?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit Adventure ignored again.
If I could've been arsed (somewhat ironic) I would have bumped Luigi's Mansion 3 out and moved Ring Fit in after actually spending a month with it to move it up from Honourable Mention.
Honestly I kinda regret shunning it, it'll never get its due in this swiftly forgotten lower half of the list!

It'll live on in our presumably healthier hearts

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame it didn't make the Top 20, but I think the fact that it received a disproportional amount of #1 votes shows that those who played it really loved it.

damn that's crazy that death stranding got the most #1 votes and couldn't even get into the top 3

truly a you love it or you hate it kind of game

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow I forgot how weak of a year 2019 was until I looked at those titles.

Yeah, aside from an exception or two, it wasn't that great, unfortunately.

Great to see Disco Elysium in the top 10, though. A niche, PC exclusive RPG landing all the way up there on console-centric forums that equate gameplay with combat a bit too often is a sight to see.

May 5, 2018
Wait a minute, A Short Hike is within the top 50 overall games on Era. OK that's not too shabby for a delightful, lax game like that. Also couldn't find it in the genre awards because it was under best action adventure.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, I wish I liked Resident Evil 2. Just found it so repetitive how long zombies take to die, in comparison to the old ones and Mr X wasn't scary just annoying. I personally preferred in the original how bright and elegant the police station was, reminded me a bit of the shining in those old Resident Evil games.

Glad other people loved it though! Might be the first GOTY choice I actively didn't like.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I forgot to vote (for real), but I'm surprised that my top 3 is also Era's top 3 (different order though, but it doesn't matter).

Number 4 though...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem highest exclusive is certainly welcome and unexpected

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I suppose I should've seen RE2 coming, but I honestly figured Era would pick Sekiro. (I have no dog in this fight, just thought it was interesting.)

Nice work, Baba Is You! It just squeaked into the top 20 and surprisingly beat out the Meme Queen, Untitled Goose Game. I love Goose Game (enough to put it on my own list!) but that's a well-deserved placing for the under...sheep.

I forgot to vote in time. Would've been more points for FE & SaGa, as well as probably the only vote for the wonderful Tangledeep.

According to the full spreadsheet, two other people put Tangledeep on their list!

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
No issue with RE2 being #1 even if Sekiro is my personal #1.
I put it #7 but I had only played through Leon A Route at that point. If I had waited until I played through Claire B, it might have made my top 3 but there wasn't enough time left to vote.

I wish my #2 Astral Chain made it into the top 10 but 11 ain't so bad. I didn't think it would place nearly that high.

Shovel Knight King of Cards still most underrated of 2019. Play the damn game people, a lot of you own it for free!

Did nobody at all vote for Ring Fit Adventure? Or am I just missing it on these lists? I had that #3

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
As I was looking for pull quotes, I noticed there was a madman who put it as their number 1 game of the year.

I was shook.

Too bad there's not a fitness category, but I don't know if you've played RFA, but there's a real game in there, honestly. Storyline and all, with character trees and alchemy and stats and skills and battle systems with strengths and weaknesses and timing systems underneath the exercise input to master etc etc. It's way deeper than it lets on.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Please allow us to vote for more than 10 games. I don't know how one could possibly narrow down the essential games of the last decade to just 10 games

What are you thinking? 20-25?

I think I can make a reasonable decade list with that number and not feel too pained at leaving something off.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As I was looking for pull quotes, I noticed there was a madman who put it as their number 1 game of the year.

I was shook.

There were 6 of us enlightened folk from what I could tell on the spreadsheet.

It's no joke my game of the year. It would have been in 2018 too, and only just edged out by BotW in 2017.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I really look forward to the game of the decade voting! I expect Zelda BOTW to kind of run away with it (relatively speaking) but seeing how the rest of the list shakes out will be interesting. The Last of Us, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, God of War, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dark Souls, Red Dead 1/2, Resident Evil 2, etc etc etc. Loooooooooot of good games.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What are you thinking? 20-25?

I think I can make a reasonable decade list with that number and not feel too pained at leaving something off.
Yeah I think 25 would be plenty of room. Then you could pick 1-3 games from each year at the very least. I'd settle for 20 though if there's a reason we can't go beyond that

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Most of my pick didn't make it very far :( some juuuust barely ranked in their respective genre listings.

RIP A Plague Tale, Gears 5, Greedfall and Blasphemous. You deserved better.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Please allow us to vote for more than 10 games. I don't know how one could possibly narrow down the essential games of the last decade to just 10 games
Yes but then I'll be tempted to vomit paragraphs for 10 more games than I planned to, think of my inability to hold myself back when you suggest such things!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DMCV and Outer Wilds are about as high as I could expect them to be.

Ive gotta play Sekiro and Disco Elysium someday.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Great top 10 with the exception of Fallen Order which is just a head scratcher

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my pick didn't make it very far :( some juuuust barely ranked in their respective genre listings.

RIP A Plague Tale, Gears 5, Greedfall and Blasphemous. You deserved better.
A Plague Tale and Gears were both great. Didn't get to Greedfall but I did have my eye on Blasphemous during some of the sales this year. How does Blasphemous compare to games like Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, and Dead Cells?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hell yeah at Resident Evil 2! So damn awesome. Also especially happy to see Bloodstained being in the top 15 at least. Overall I think this is a pretty solid list.

Status
Not open for further replies.