• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I remember not voting since it seemed like too much work since I wasn't sure I could think of 10 games I really enjoyed this year but seeing this list makes me kinda want to try. I would've placed Celeste and SSBU at the top for sure.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Ports, remasters and remakes are it's own category and not eligible for the main GOTY, if I got it right.

As brought up several times though that logic doesn't even make sense if Pokemon was eligible. The description in the OP even says it was a remake!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I reckon substantial remakes should be eligible. Of course what constitutes substantial is debatable.
Maybe we should call games like Pokemon Leggo and REmake 2 "reimaginings"?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoyed the writing in that game for the most part. One particular character's story was weaker than the others but for the most part I found the game to be interesting especially with all the choices. It's how adventure games like that should be handled. I personally had it at 6 in my top 10. I think you just paid too much attention to some of the threads that were full of David Cage haters. There was a lot of love for that game.
I'm not even talking about threads here. Listening to various podcasts talk about Detroit's story was fantastic. Game Informer and Giant Bomb did a great job of pointing out the ham fisted ways the game compared these robots fighting for their rights to the U.S civil rights movement of the 60's. Sitting in the back of the bus, etc.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of Frostpunk but I enjoyed This War of Mine and want to try it. Thanks for the hot tip guys!

Also I forgot to vote shame on me but I would've went with God of War anyway.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even talking about threads here. Listening to various podcasts talk about Detroit's story was fantastic. Game Informer and Giant Bomb did a great job of pointing out the ham fisted ways the game compared these robots fighting for their rights to the U.S civil rights movement of the 60's. Sitting in the back of the bus, etc.

I think it's a mischaraterisation to say that scene is ham fisted, but I suppose that's down to subjectivity. It's a bit on the nose, sure, but it's realistic and completely fleeting. A 5-10 second snippet out of a 10 hour game, that not only makes sense within the context of the narrative and premise (why on Earth would humans grant machines the same rights and access?) but is barely emphasised at all, infact some people missed the point and reference of it altogether, hence I'd argue its a bit unfair to refer to it as "ham fisted". Here's the scene in question incase you've not actually ever seen it yourself. I personally think it's relatively tastefully done.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean. It's just meant to represent what share of votes that years 1st place game captured. What's unfair about it?
The context was that "God of War beat Breath of the Wild." I assumed this meant that one had a more positive showing than the other. They're both only in comparison to their field, though. The percent of the vote taken by the game coming in first says as much about the rest of the field as it does about the game coming in first itself. It makes for a strange comparison except to say that "this year had more/less of a clear standout favourite."
lol Era, Gaf had better taste. Congrats to the winners though.
If you don't like the results then vote next year!

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I... actually really agree with everything here!
although Hollow Knight as best remake doesn't sit well with me, the rest is perfect!

• holy shit Sony won best publisher by more than double the points of #2 (Nintendo)
  • lmao at the best Xbox Games list
  • although I don't like Fortnite and I definitely like Far Cry 5 even less, I think Fortnite should've won best Shooter
  • Spiderman beat Red Dead Redemption 2! what an absolute twist!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I voted because it's fun to look back and return to my favorite games of the past year and do little writeups of them, not because I really give a fuck about the actual results.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
wonder if there's a large drop off of voting cause there's simply less folks that use the site regularly?

anyway good list. Kinda wanted Hollow Knight to chart higher. that was my personal goty. And uhhh, I guess I should play Detroit?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The context was that "God of War beat Breath of the Wild." I assumed this meant that one had a more positive showing than the other. They're both only in comparison to their field, though. The percent of the vote taken by the game coming in first says as much about the rest of the field as it does about the game coming in first itself. It makes for a strange comparison except to say that "this year had more/less of a clear standout favourite."

That's exactly what it's saying though. It's in no way meant to say that GoW is better than BotW.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Thanks OP and all the supporting members!

Yeah, GoW is also my favorite game of the year. Nice to see that Astro Bot is in the Top 10. Tetris Effect in the Top 20 is great! Only game I'm really missing in the Top 20 is Vampyr. But overall a good and diverse list.

roboleon

random guy on the internet
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting that participation has fallen of a cliff from last year. I have to admit that personally, it has not been the greatest of years for video games tbqh, and it seems I'm not alone with that sentiment.

Good job on compiling the list, and good job everybody who cast their ballot. It's always interesting to read up on other people's experiences.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Fantastic list. Really pleased with many of the rankings. Detroit's placing surprised me a little. I actually expected it to be slightly higher.

wonder if there's a large drop off of voting cause there's simply less folks that use the site regularly?

anyway good list. Kinda wanted Hollow Knight to chart higher. that was my personal goty. And uhhh, I guess I should play Detroit?

Yes. Yes, you should. It's exceptional. :)

I... actually really agree with everything here!
although Hollow Knight as best remake doesn't sit well with me, the rest is perfect!

• holy shit Sony won best publisher by more than double the points of #2 (Nintendo)
  • lmao at the best Xbox Games list
  • although I don't like Fortnite and I definitely like Far Cry 5 even less, I think Fortnite should've won best Shooter
  • Spiderman beat Red Dead Redemption 2! what an absolute twist!

Indeed. Sony had more points than the next three publishers combined. :)

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah except you still seem to be missing the context of the posts I was replying to, which DOES seem to use it to draw a more direct comparison:

I guess, but I'm actually surprised that GoW had more of a share of the vote as well. Again, not a commentary on the games themselves (as you and I both agree) but surprising nonetheless

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Hollow Knight didn't stand a chance because it came out last year. It was easily the best game released this year, and I don't think of it as a remake.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Do we still get those lovely little bonus features any more where we can see who had similar affinity with our own lists and the ten recommended titles we didn't vote for? always dug that extra content.
Though seeing how it's not been mentioned, I figure the new polling system doesn't work for it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
While it's really disappointing to see how limited the taste for games in ResetEra is, it's somewhat nice to see my #2 and #3 Goty picks to "dominate" the simulator genre award.

bak4fun

Oct 25, 2017
As every year thanks everyone that is running GOTY

I didn't vote as I didn't have time to play much the past 4 months so I missed too many games.

Also, the rule to not includes remake/ports has been there for quite some time. Maybe it's a bit mislabeled this year, but you can just see that as best games that didn't see their first realease this year (it's just a long category's title).
The only thing that can be seen as weird is the pokemon games as they seem like remakes, I didn't play them but it seems something like a kiwami remake.

We can still have a discussion to know if we should change that and if we should include games from previous years that got a port/remake/reimagining.
Personnaly I would be okay to include games with a significant change in gameplay/system and not just a graphical overall.
For example :
include pokemon and kiwami as they change the game significantly
don't include SotC, Spyro, as they are just a new coat of paint
don't include Hollow Night, Yakuza 0 or Nier automata as they were first released in 2017 with a port to new platform in 2018

But not including any of them is also ok to me because I understand that "significant change" is just not precised enough and can lead to significant headaches for the people running this poll.
Like : is a new playable character significant enough (DKTF)? A new perspective (GTA V)? A new combat system, new substories, new sidequests (kiwami 2)?

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Since there was some confusion, we updated the banner for Hollow Knight.

Best_Re-release_Remake_Port.png

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
A Sony branded Ubisoft game beat RDR 2? lol

Ah well, at least the general media got it right.
That's how voting works. I'd be willing to bet you'll get a similar response from most other communities. RDR2 just wasn't as fun to play according to the community.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy year for Sony.

If any of GoT, DS and TLoU come out this year, they're gonna repeat it.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great year for Sony and PS4. God of War definitely stood out as the best, and I'm surprised Spiderman beat RDR2. Both have their flaws, but at least Spidey plays and controls well.

Status
Not open for further replies.