• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First time i missed voting (was really busy this couple of months) but I'm glad my GOTY won in the end :)

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't vote because i didn't have it in me to have to justify my choices, i'm assuming i'm probably not alone in that.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like 2018 was a weak year seeing this list. Though granted I've barely played any of the games. I see many games pretty high up that I thought were generally regarded as disappointing or not as good as its predecessor. What a caught from the conversations here and Giant Bomb I've heard almost no positive vibes about games such as Detroid, Far Cry and to some extent AC (I thought the previous film was higher regarded. Yet here they are really high up or rewarded with some best category rewards.

Also seeing Spiderman so high up this list is kind of telling. It's an incredible fun game with amazing swinging and a fun story. But other than just an extremely fun game I don't see it as a game of the year contender in a more stacked year.

It looks like it was a good year for indie games (which I didn't play at all :-( ) and a rather middling year for the traditional AAA games.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png
This isn't really a fair measure. They competed in different fields.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Feels like 2018 was a weak year seeing this list.

It was weak for me personally, RDR2 didn't spark any interest in me and I have no issues waiting for the PC Release to play it in better quality on my gaming Rig. Spiderman, heck, it's Spiderman, can it get more boring than that, maybe I'll get it at a big discount at some point. God of War was a nice title but not really GotY material for me, especially after the amazing year 2017 GotYs look so much weaker to me. Same goes for Smash Ultimate sadly, I enjoyed it very much but I eventually dropped it, now I have Switch Online for another 10 months, might play a bit of Splatoon online I guess.

Octopath Traveler is the main Sleeper hit for me, along with Into the Breach. I spend about 80 hours with each game and I still get back to them from time to time. Celeste was also a blast but at some point I stopped playing it as it got ridiculously hard and also frustrating, well at least I finished all the B-Sides. Gris was also fun but of course a little bit too short, it reminded me a lot of Journey but in 2D, would love it to see more games of that caliber in the future, that aren't afraid to break the norm of "kill enemy X to win"

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think ports should be counted (ie Hollow Knight or Yakuza 0) but big remakes like Kiwami or the new RE2 version should

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't vote this year but glad to see Spidey this high. MHW is also in a nice position.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All I heard here, this year, about Mario tennis aces is how disappointing the game was. And then it wins sport game of the year. That's era for you.

Also, ranking wiiu when it's already discontinued by last year feels like a jab.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Why are the specific category awards here always done terribly?

Best Shooting, Best Horror, and Best Remake all have the most bizarre winners. Nobody voted for those categories.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you all for the work. I didn't vote, but it's entertaining to see the list and compare it with my own. It was a good year, from indies to big AAA productions, passing through some incredible games made in Japan. A few important companies were a minor disappointment, but only someone who puts too much value on a single system, or a single developer, could look at 2018 with anything but fond memories.

PS: Change remake category next year, please. It's clear there's a problem with that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
5OMUYH6.png

YAAASSS QUEEEEN

Looks more like RDR2 is loved by a vocal minority

vtma91uYk0lRXBap4hsRL5cPbPbuu9s8nLBKE6MGZfY.jpg

If RDR2 managed to easily come ahead of titles like MHW, Smash Bros Ultimate, Celeste, Dragon Quest XI and AC Odyssey, it is loved by a lot of more than a vocal minority lol.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So the greatest remake we've yet seen of one of the greatest games ever made is robbed of winning Best Remake.........by Hollow Knight.......which is not a remake in any way shape or form........good job guy's,lol.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Nice! Happy to see ITB at #11, well deserved!
A suggestion, how about putting "(The) Results" in the thread title? I think it was that way in the past. I was a bit uncertain what to expect when I clicked this thread.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm still flabbergasted that remakes aren't recognised as new games and get omitted from the top 20 as a result.

Kiwami 2 is a massively different game compared to the original, trust me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still flabbergasted that remakes aren't recognised as new games and get omitted from the top 20 as a result.

Kiwami 2 is a massively different game compared to the original, trust me.

The thing I don't quite understand is why it states remasters are eligible in the voting OP, and has Shadow of the Colossus listed in the eligible games list, but not Kiwami 2, despite SotC missing out on being included in the final main list anyway.

Personally I think Remakes should be permitted. We're talking about games that have by and large been massively overhauled, with entirely new engines. It's more of a difference than a port or remaster.

------ Game Eligibility -------

Eligible games:
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: Curse of Osiris is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gz3gkDgjZJI37tR2jIkZUn8RCpyOb2SQeSmjU/pubhtml

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Best Horror Game: The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories = 68 points, 0 honorable mentions

I hadn't heard about this game before, and after looking some material about it, it seems like a platformer. So, would people recommend it for a horror fan who dislikes platforming? I loved Little Nightmares, but hated its platforming, mostly because of its imprecision and how the checkpoint system lead to needless and frustrating repetition.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished God of War at the weekend, and while it took me a long time to really get into it, it was worth it in the end. Amazing game, one of the best I've played in a long time. Is there a way to check how long you've been playing it for? It felt very long, but I can't say whether it was closer to 20 or 40 hours for me and I'm curious.

Will get on to Spider-man next and then RDR. It was a great year for games I thought, although the comedown from 2017 was felt.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
There's only 2 sensible explanations:

1. we're banning people faster than we get new recruits

2. ERA is actually dominated by Microsoft stans who boicotted the voting because there was no credible candidate that could win.

Or people played older games from their backlog, or didn't fancy the open world nature of many of last year's games. The only new game I played last year was GOW. so I didn't participate in the voting.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played and finished 5 out of the 10 first games, but only one I would give 10/10 (RDR2) rest was ok but nothing goty worthy as far as I am concerned.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Sony Santa Monica for winning GotY. GoW is a great game and i'm happy it won. Hollow Knight not being allowed in the main list... that was disappointing to learn. I thought this year it would get the recognition it deserved.

Also, SotC is not allowed to be in the main list but Pokemon is, seems arbitrary to me. Really interested how REmake2 will be handled this year then.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I don't quite understand is why it states remasters are eligible in the voting OP, and has Shadow of the Colossus listed in the eligible games list, but not Kiwami 2, despite SotC missing out on being included in the final main list anyway.

Personally I think Remakes should be permitted. We're talking about games that have by and large been massively overhauled, with entirely new engines. It's more of a difference than a port or remaster.

------ Game Eligibility -------

Eligible games:
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: Curse of Osiris is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gz3gkDgjZJI37tR2jIkZUn8RCpyOb2SQeSmjU/pubhtml
Because this is also in the OP to the voting thread:
Ballot Scoring
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.
Remakes/remasters/ports were "eligible", as in, you were able to vote on them and include them in your lists, but only completely new games were eligible for the GOTY and Genre Awards.

Though looking at it now, I could certainly see how that could be confusing if someone missed the "ballot scoring" section what exactly they meant by "eligible" there.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
To be fair, over the years back on GAF the number of votes seemed to dip and rise every other year, so we'll see if it's a pattern this year
I'd expect it to rise since 2019 has many more games fitting Era's taste, which'll probably ignite more voting. RE2, Sekiro, DMC 5, KH3, Outer Worlds, and maaaaaybe TLoU II and/or Death Stranding.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't heard about this game before, and after looking some material about it, it seems like a platformer. So, would people recommend it for a horror fan who dislikes platforming? I loved Little Nightmares, but hated its platforming, mostly because of its imprecision and how the checkpoint system lead to needless and frustrating repetition.

No, it's really not a horror game. It tells me that those running things who put it in that category haven't actually played the game.

I really don't know what the people running this poll were thinking with those categories.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad DQ11 made it. My personal game of the year. Playing Detroit right now and loving it. It was a great year to own a PS4, so many games I still haven't got to.

Oct 28, 2017
No, it's really not a horror game. It tells me that those running things who put it in that category haven't actually played the game.

I really don't know what the people running this poll were thinking with those categories.
I mean I wouldn't entirely rule it out as a horror game, there is a lot of psychological horror in it and the entire game revolves around self-mutilation. But for someone who doesn't like platformers I don't think I could whole-heartedly recommend it.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
So sad shadow of the collosos got forgotten
wish song bundled it more throughout the year
Great game
should have gotten some awards

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I mean I wouldn't entirely rule it out as a horror game, there is a lot of psychological horror in it and the entire game revolves around self-mutilation. But for someone who doesn't like platformers I don't think I could whole-heartedly recommend it.

The self-harming aspect doesn't make it a horror game. It doesn't belong in that genre.

Brunobi

Animation Director, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Jan 4, 2018
Thank you to all that voted and thank you for playing God of War. We are so glad that so many enjoyed this game specially in a year with so many other amazing games. Congratulations to all the winners.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol people so mad that spider-man got second.

You know, maybe era just found out more fun to get in and play compared to rdr2. Maybe, just maybe, that's why it came in second for voting. Not sure grand conspiracy

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Well, I'm intrigued now. The platforming might be tolerable, if the checkpoint system works better than in Little Nightmares, and if it's more precise and less floaty.

Oct 27, 2017
So did we know why Kiwami 2 was omitted and will REmake 2 be omitted next year?

It is really unfair to Yakuza Kiwami 2 because that game was pretty much a whole new game. It is one of the best remake if not the best ever made.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the effort! Personally, I didn't vote because I assumed my GOTYs wouldn't make the top 50 or so anyway -- well, except for Into the Breach and Obra Dinn, I guess -- and it therefore felt like a waste of time. Plus, I'm lazy, obviously.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So did we know why Kiwami 2 was omitted and will REmake 2 be omitted next year?

It is really unfair to Yakuza Kiwami 2 because that game was pretty much a whole new game. It is one of the best remake if not the best ever made.

For some bizarre reason, remakes got lumped in with remasters and ports. Which stings because I put Kiwami 2 at the top of my list, so it feels like it didn't get the recognition it deserved despite being a new game and vastly revamped compared to the original. A further inconsistency is that Pokemon Let's Go is a remake too, but wasn't classified as such.

There's no way in hell REmake 2 will be ineligible for the main top 20 this year. It's too noteworthy a release to be dismissed like that.

Oct 27, 2017
For some bizarre reason, remakes got lumped in with remasters and ports. Which stings because I put Kiwami 2 at the top of my list, so it feels like it didn't get the recognition it deserved despite being a new game and vastly revamped compared to the original. A further inconsistency is that Pokemon Let's Go is a remake too, but wasn't classified as such.

There's no way in hell REmake 2 will be ineligible for the main top 20 this year. It's too noteworthy a release to be dismissed like that.
Man that sucks a lot. Especially when Kiwami 2 had more points than Pokemon.

Yakuza gets robbed each year...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lol people so mad that spider-man got second.

You know, maybe era just found out more fun to get in and play compared to rdr2. Maybe, just maybe, that's why it came in second for voting. Not sure grand conspiracy
Someone stated earlier that RDR2 actually got 3 times more #1 votes than Spidey. That Spidey eventually came out on top anyway is impressive considering that RDR2 is on two platforms and also became the Xbox GOTY. Spidey must've been pretty much everywhere except rarely on top while RDR2 got the hate/love treatment and ended up on top more often but also ended up not even on the list at all among many voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.