• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Its a decent list, but I wont ever agree to Detroit being anywhere near the top 10 games of the year.
How on earth did it get there?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Its a decent list, but I wont ever agree to Detroit being anywhere near the top 10 games of the year.
How on earth did it get there?

i guess same as xenoblade 2. both sold well and in a year with two very high profile first-party releases (zelda/mario and god of war/spiderman), it was a regular 3rd choice among people excited to vote for their favorite games.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Great list. Glad to see that Odyssey made the top 10 and that Spider-Man beat RDR2 lol.

Congrats to the God of War!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't vote this year because I didn't feel like I played very many new games but definitely agree with GOW in the top spot. Enjoyed both Spider-Man and RDR2 a great deal, would have to think on it to pick a favorite between the two.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The most interesting thing about this list is red dead appearing 150 times as the #1 on lists while spiderman only 50 times and yet spiderman winning, it shows you that consistency can take a game a long way.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The top is expected.

But I'm surprised to see Forza Horizon down at #16, didn't think racing games were nearly that impopular here, we got what most would consider the best racing game of the generation for consoles, open-world, 60fps, weather, day/night, even seasons, available and great on PC as well, and it's not even on the top 10. Disappointing.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Actually number 3 is surprising here, considering the fact that we are getting a negative RDR2 thread each day lol.

Fun fact, Saturday morning RDR2 was in the lead.
Saturday night, Spiderman had retaken the lead and held onto it through the closing bell.

Also, 12 hours before the voting ended Celeste was #5. It was jumped in the last 12 hours by MHW.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didnt vote this year because I was afraid of being banned if i didnt motivate my choice.

Oct 25, 2017
The salt is real lmao.

I forgot to vote tbh. I'm glad to see Spidey make it into the top two, it was comfortably my GOTY. As for the SoNY ErA nonsense, it's almost as if they released some very good games last year.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Assassin's Creed: Odyssey not win best Role-Playing Game?
Why did State of Decay 2 not win best simulator? It is more a base simulation game with active player control than a horror game.

(Disclaimer: I think genre votes are trash in general for the reason as categorizing games arbitrarily in a world where the only two real defined genres are fighting and racing and everything else being mashups. Objective categories like best game funded by Kickstarter, or Best game only playable in VR are better if more awards want to be given out.)

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Well, Spider-Man in front of Red Dead Redemption 2 is surprising.

Glad my comment for Red Dead Redemption 2 made it in, though. It's a great list. Thanks to everyone for the work they put in!

Last edited:

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Great, diverse list I think (a lot of genres and budgets represented :)). I think that shows how good this year was. Also Sony had a huge year.

Thanks to everyone responsible for putting everything together (voting, counting, summary thread). Great job. I loved it last year, love this year! Also good job everyone that voted for helping create a really good list of video games :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting thing about this list is red dead appearing 150 times as the #1 on lists while spiderman only 50 times and yet spiderman winning, it shows you that consistency can take a game a long way.
It's especially imoressive when Spiderman is on one platform and RDR2 is on two and RDR2 won the Xbox GOTY.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great list apart from Detroit. Spider-Man and read dead should switch places. I really don't understand how Spider-Man beats out red dead but I guess it shows the audience if resetera and who voted. Detroit being top ten just baffles me. Fair play though it's a list.

Totally forgot to vote this year but will make an effort to do so next time. I'm surprised monster Hunter isn't higher than Spider-Man. Celeste and into the breach need more love.

Not a list I can get behind tbh.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great list.

Happy to see Spiderman number 2. Not had so much fun with a video game in a long time.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Weakest year in a good while, but thank you for everybody who made the list and ran the voting!

Funny you say that. To me, it's the strongest year in a long while. Certainly much better than last year.

Great list apart from Detroit. Spider-Man and read dead should switch places. I really don't understand how Spider-Man beats out red dead but I guess it shows the audience if resetera and who voted. Detroit being top ten just baffles me. Fair play though it's a list.

Totally forgot to vote this year but will make an effort to do so next time. I'm surprised monster Hunter isn't higher than Spider-Man. Celeste and into the breach need more love.

Detroit was a great game and absolutely deserving of the Top 10 finish. I don't think it's a surprise in the slightest that Spider-Man finished above MHW. It's a fantastic game with wide appeal.

I agree that it's a surprise to see Spider-Man edge out Red Dead 2. I prefer the latter, but loved them both.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Astrobot and DQ11 being so high up is nice to see. Unexpected that Detroit made it to number ten. I liked it and put it high in my list too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I didn't vote, but having played both games, it really boils down to the age old question of what's the more important aspect of a video game? Game play, or everything else? Because for me at least, Spider man was pretty much one of the best feeling games to play all year. The movement was fast and fluid, the combat was sharp offering an impeccable way to string different attacks together using a plethora of abilities, and it was overall such a treat to play. It's short comings with the robotic zombie pedestrians , a city that was only serviceable , and repetitive side missions were not detrimental enough to get me to ever want to stop playing. Red Dead on the other hand is the opposite of all this. With the most amazing world, astonishing npc ai to interact with, impressive animal ai in natural environments , atmosphere like no other, and interesting immersive side activities, Red Dead was a treat to just exist in. The game play however was so damn sloppy with bad control schemes and poor overall game feel; including it's most important action, shooting. Both stories in each game are very good, as well as music and art direction. So as great as both are, Spider man was far more fun to actually control and play, while Red Deads world was leagues beyond anything Spider man could offer. I would personally have a hard time deciding which I'd rank higher to be perfectly honest. They're both 9's to me.

Also, as someone who played through Detroit yet never finished Heavy Rain or ever touched Indigo Prophecy or Beyond two Souls, I finally understand why people enjoy those games. Detroit has an incredible amount of love and care put into it. It's the most immersive and well done choose your own adventure kinda game I've ever tried. I completely think it deserves the recognition.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The top is expected.

But I'm surprised to see Forza Horizon down at #16, didn't think racing games were nearly that impopular here, we got what most would consider the best racing game of the generation for consoles, open-world, 60fps, weather, day/night, even seasons, available and great on PC as well, and it's not even on the top 10. Disappointing.

It was left off of most GOTY lists as well so it's not just this place.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Funny you say that. To me, it's the strongest year in a long while. Certainly much better than last year.

Detroit was a great game and absolutely deserving of the Top 10 finish. I don't think it's a surprise in the slightest that Spider-Man finished above MHW. It's a fantastic game with wide appeal.

I agree that it's a surprise to see Spider-Man edge out Red Dead 2. I prefer the latter, but loved them both.

I don't actually have a problem with the list, I never do. I think I hold more weight on this one due to this site being the one I mostly visit. I really enjoyed Spider-Man but it doesn't touch mhw imo and plenty of others in that list. I guess it's down to its popularity, which I do understand. Just like a pop music act winning over a more credible artist.

I only say this because the floors of Spider-Man stand out just as hard as a red dead 2 to me etc. Sure if you just bombed through the main story you would love it. For me I tried to 100 percent it and I couldn't as I found anything outside of the main combat horrificly repetitive. Mhw on the other hsnd offers hundreds of hours of great gameplay. Rant over lol.

Because it's an awesome game. It's not rocket science.
It's an awesome game to you and many others and that's more than fine.

We should all be ashamed that forza horizon 4 isn't in the top ten. We are supposed to be better than this.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

Reddead should be lower. Apart from its world and story it doesn't hold a candle

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yakuza 6 over Kiwami 2. ERA has done well.

Genuinely surprised to see that considering 3, 4 and 5 aren't available on any current systems, but I'll take it. I certainly thought 6 was much better than Kiwami 2 and in fact, it's probably my favorite in the series so far.

Either way, it's nice to see Yakuza in the top 20. I don't really personally agree with most of the rest, but I have no problems with the list.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
Good list overall, however the weird application that for some reason remakes/remasters are not to be considered in the top 20 is embarrassing, and especially with the inconsistency that the rule is being applied.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Congratulations to all games that made it where they are. Very happy for Spider-Man's place right there

Status
Not open for further replies.