• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The remake stuff is super jacked up. Apparently Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong and Bayonetta are remakes but Burnout Paradise isn't? (None of those games should be, they are literally just ports).

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Gears could surprise us this year. I expect to see Ori up there for sure. But if either Sony or Nintendo comes with the hammer then we'll have the SonyERA and NintendoERA nonsense surface again. Why are people so damn salty lol
Y'all are not gonna cape for Gears 5. It'll probably be what I want from the game more than what Era wants.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Y'all made Shuhei Yoshida (President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Interactive Entertainment) happy

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Congrats to the winner. Only expected 3 of my top 10 in the top 20, and ended up matching #4 and #5 lol. Too bad Celeste just missed the top 5.

Not as many voted this year.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to the winner. Only expected 3 of my top 10 in the top 20, and ended up matching #4 and #5 lol. Too bad Celeste just missed the top 5.

Not as many voted this year.
To be fair, over the years back on GAF the number of votes seemed to dip and rise every other year, so we'll see if it's a pattern this year

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna vote, but I knew my GoTY would be number 1 anyway, and wanted to finish AC Odyssey and Yakuza Kiwami 2 (though I didn't know it wasn't eligible) first, so I actually a had 10 games I really liked.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Swap Hitman 2's position with Red Dead 2 and this list would pretty much match my own take. Glad to see Detroit got some love as well, as I enjoyed it far more than I expected to.

Great year for games.

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony had quality output and it reflected on the list. Nobody could match them.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The remake stuff is super jacked up. Apparently Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong and Bayonetta are remakes but Burnout Paradise isn't? (None of those games should be, they are literally just ports).
Yeah the remake category makes 0 sense. You could make a slight argument for Donkey Kong with the addition of Funky mode/Kong, but Hollow Knight was identical to the PC version and Bayonetta 1/2 were identical to prior versions other than additional Amiibo support.

Also Assassin Creed should not be under Switch games, it's only available streaming in Japan. If a game isn't a physical or digital download release, it shouldn't count. Otherwise, all PS Now games could technically fall under PC for releases ;p.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously if you're not counting remakes why is Pokemon in the top list? The description even says it's a remake. Is this a joke?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah the remake category makes 0 sense. You could make a slight argument for Donkey Kong with the addition of Funky mode/Kong, but Hollow Knight was identical to the PC version and Bayonetta 1/2 were identical to prior versions other than additional Amiibo support.

Also Assassin Creed should not be under Switch games, it's only available streaming in Japan. If a game isn't a physical or digital download release, it shouldn't count. Otherwise, all PS Now games could technically fall under PC for releases ;p.
We're going to adjust the banner once the graphics guy comes back online. It's technically Remake/Remaster/Port as one category.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
People are too busy playing Smash to vote for it.

Piranha Plant for Most Influential Video Game Character in the 2019 awards.

Dec 13, 2018
EA being so low in the votes is kinda surprising. Good trend though, some devs I need to check out...

ps3ud0 8)

You're alive

Worthless requirement of having to justify your nominations + Nintendo games not having a chance this year. This forum is way too big to only have 1100 ballots

I was too lazy to fill in a ballot on mobile with all the weird formatting requirements...

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they had a year full of quality titles which is something that is rare for them. Usually they have only 1 or maybe 2 in a single year. You won't see this again anytime soon unless TLOU 2, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima all release the same year.
Sony just made more acclaimed games, not much of a mystery.

Sony certainly had a good year, and I'm happy to see God of War at #1 over something like RDR2, but Detroit being in the top 10 after the rousing laughter that erupted every time the story was talked about in that game, it's just a weird look.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony certainly had a good year, and I'm happy to see God of War at #1 over something like RDR2, but Detroit being in the top 10 after the rousing laughter that erupted every time the story was talked about in that game, it's just a weird look.
Every time I watch a playthrough on Twitch or Youtube I hear a "One of the best games I've played here on my channel". So maybe, just maybe, a lot of people like Detroit: Become Human and you (and some others) don't. It is what it is.

Oct 27, 2017
PLG anywhere near a Top Anything list is baffling to me. Calling it a "perfect remake"... I'm speechless.

I wish I had more time to finish AC Syndicate so I could start God of War. It's next on my "to play" list.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
That's actually a really solid list of 20. Wish Dead Cells was higher but overall it's a good mix of genres and experiences.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
I hate to break it to you but they didn't. Bayo 2 won only 22 to Dragon Age's 134. And I actually hated DA:I with a passion, so I'm more than fine with it losing. Bloodborne only won 31 to TW3's 257. And Journey won 57, but like I already said 2012 was a super weak year so that at least makes more sense.

If this place has no more Sony/Nintendo bias than the general population, how come big multiplatform games always do worse here than they do in general? Surely you don't think it's pure coincidence? Once again, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Sony/Nintendo lean here, and most of the time it's deserved as I actually think they're the 2 best publishers out there, but it definitely exists. The Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, GTA V, Skyrim, Dragon Age, The Walking Dead, etc they all did worse here/GAF than in the general population while the Bloodbornes, Bayo 2s, and Journeys are doing better. Even if only by a slight margin.

So if anyone voted for Bayo 2 over DA:I the only possible reason is because they're Nintendo fanboys? Or if anyone voted for Bloodborne over TW3 the only explanation is because those voters were Sony fanboys?

That seems to be the logical conclusion of what you're saying.

Ever consider that mayyyybe the genuine tastes of the community are a little bit different than the tastes of the gaming press when it comes to a certain few examples? People voting based on loyalty to a platform and nothing else is the only possible explanation for you?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Great for Cory, SSM and Sony.

What a year Sony had, the list shows that.

I loved gow and it actually made me care about Kratos. I hope the sequel will be even better

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So happy to see Detroit in the top 10. It definitely deserves it.

There's been so many articles about how difficult black mirror bandersnatch was to make. If that was difficult, I don't even know how to describe Detroit.

It's a game with choices where they actually matter. Absolutely fantastic.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I was too lazy to make a top 10 this year, but I'm really happy to see DQ11 as high as it is.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoyed the writing in that game for the most part. One particular character's story was weaker than the others but for the most part I found the game to be interesting especially with all the choices. It's how adventure games like that should be handled. I personally had it at 6 in my top 10. I think you just paid too much attention to some of the threads that were full of David Cage haters. There was a lot of love for that game.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Show me your copy of Catalyst so I know you're for real and not playing.

sure thing chief

x6bzUjS.jpg

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
This is an awesome list! I don't really disagree with any games except maybe Smash, but that's just because I haven't played it and I understand why it's up there. Happy that Astro Bot, DQXI and Detroit all made top 10. I thought that was unlikely to happen. 2018 was one of the best gaming years ever, 2019 has huge shoes to fill.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
1. LMAO the gap between God of War and everything else
2. RDR2 being so far reaching but losing to not just one but two Sony exclusives. ERA backlash is real.
3. Celeste, the real GOTY, needed 10 more points to be in the top 5. I blame...*checks notes* everybody who didn't vote for it at #1

Actually number 3 is surprising here, considering the fact that we are getting a negative RDR2 thread each day lol.

Glad to see Hollow Knight with 512 points, it did ok. If it wasn't late console port would have been included in top 10..

Status
Not open for further replies.