• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We did it, yay! Holy crap at Dragon Quest making top 10! Honestly didn't see that coming, felt like most people got turned off of it!

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to link this here from the "Remasters = Port begging" thread:

And I'm dead serious. What is Hollow Knight doing there? It doesn't make sense at all. That being said, why was Yakuza 0 in that category??

It really feels like this vote was mismanaged and misrepresented. This goes beyond just disagreeing with a community pick.

It's as if it's like "damn, we can't admit we wanted a Switch port so let's call it a remake and call it a day". Can anyone explain??
It has been explained multiple times. It's just the term that was used for all remakes/remasters/ports. None of those counted towards the overall GOTY and thus have their own category instead. Hollow Knight is a port, and thus why it falls into that category.

Of course, that's naturally going to keep being asked, since it's simply labeled as "remake" as the results, so something about that being edited in would nice because otherwise I don't see that stopping at all.

That said, I didn't think much about it during voting, but it's weird that Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is treated as an exception to this.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Dismissing 22, 31, and 57 independent GOTY awards for Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, and Journey seems a bit unfair. That's still a lot of critical acclaim. The general public is not necessarily going to perfectly align with critics every time, especially because critics may have opportunities to play a much wider swath of games than the public (at no personal cost). First party games are bundled and pushed by the console makers, so if you own a single console you're probably being inundated with lots of ads for exclusives. You listed Red Dead 2 when it was also beaten by God of War in terms of GOTY awards from critics. Also, GTAV did not win the most GOTY awards from critics in its year of release either.

Take a look at Eurogamer readers' top 50 games of 2018. The top 20 looks a lot like Era's.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-01-eurogamer-readers-top-50-games-of-2018

I'm aware GTA V or RDR 2 did not win, I'm just talking games that placed lower here than in general. They both finished 3rd compared to 2nd by the general population.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Then there was Xenoblade 1's crazy release schedule. J-GAF's 2010 votes, EuroGAF + us importers' 2011 votes, and the NA Gamestop-only 2012's votes.

Wierd shit.

poor xb1. its best shot was probably 2012 thanks to how slow that year was. 2010 probably would have been drowned out even if it had a worldwide release.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It has been explained multiple times. It's just the term that was used for all remakes/remasters/ports. None of those counted towards the overall GOTY and thus have their own category instead. Hollow Knight is a port, and thus why it falls into that category.

Of course, that's naturally going to keep being asked, since it's simply labeled as "remake" as the results, so something about that being edited in would nice because otherwise I don't see that stopping at all.
For real, categorising remakes, ports and remasters under one "remake" heading is... I mean, the definition doesn't match remotely.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Dragon Quest XI. Every fan of JRPGs need to play this game!

Fantastic work putting together this thread.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware GTA V or RDR 2 did not win, I'm just talking games that placed lower here than in general. They both finished 3rd compared to 2nd by the general population.
GTAV finished 3rd on GAF but that's because Bioshock Infinite was 2nd. That doesn't really line up with GAF/Era's supposed bias against multi platform games.

Edit: I understand what you're saying but it just doesn't seem conclusive to me.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
How'd we go from a Nintendo forum to a Sony forum in a just year

it's kinda nuts how it mirrored last year:

god of war - breath of the wild
spider-man - super mario odyssesy
detroit - xenoblade chronicles 2
super smash bros. - horizon zero dawn

...also i forgot to list mlb 18 the show!! oh man, i knew i'd played more than 25 games in 2018.

Oct 28, 2017
For real, categorising remakes, ports and remasters under one "remake" heading is... I mean, the definition doesn't match remotely.

I agree. A better term for those games should been made rather than just "remake".

But yakuza 0 is not a remake/remaster at all. It's it's own brand new game. A prequel!

I appreciate the effort but more thought should have been put into this.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
That said, I didn't think much about it during voting, but it's weird that Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is treated as an exception to this.
Nah, it's weird that Kiwami 2 isn't also treated as an exception.

Full-blown remakes should be eligible for GOTY. They're entirely new games that are just based on an old one.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see god of war win. I didn't vote this year, I had a hunch what the top game was lol

Red dead 2 should be lower

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe some posters are seriously trying to play the "Sony bias" card on Era of all fucking places.

Some people gon' get PTSD from these results it feels like.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is Nintendo dominated. It's just also Sony dominated. A Sony or Nintendo published game has won every Era/Gaf GOTY since 2011 with Portal 2. 7 years. 7 damn years.

Most of those years are deserved (like this year and last year) but the niche of the place definitely shows, not that there's anything wrong with that, when you have Bloodborne beating Witcher 3, Bayo 2 beating Dragon Age, or Journey beating anything at all (2012 was a weak year admittedly).
Maybe it's just because console manufacturers put the work triple A multi platform publishers are not willing to do anymore. The EAs, Activisions and Ubisofts of the world are all either putting out multiplayer only grind fests, open world grind fests or games as service grind fests or all of the above. Activision had the Spiderman license for like almost 20 years, why didn't they ever put out a game even as half as good as this new Spiderman? Spiderman 2 was close but not enough. It took a PS4 exclusive to make this because Lord knows a triple A publisher would've never let this game ship without micro transactions and/or more Service-y for recurring payments.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
GTAV finished 3rd on GAF but that's because Bioshock Infinite was 2nd. That doesn't really line up with GAF/Era's supposed bias against multi platform games.

Edit: I understand what you're saying but it just doesn't seem conclusive to me.
Well that's why I didn't use GTA V as an example of Sony/Nintendo lean. I used BB, Bayo 2, and Journey for that. I only ever mentioned GTA V when just giving examples of multi platform games that did worse here, not necessarily Sony/Nintendo bias.

And that's fair. It's not exactly a conclusive science.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Maybe it's just because console manufacturers put the work triple A multi platform publishers are not willing to do anymore. The EAs, Activisions and Ubisofts of the world are all either putting out multiplayer only grind fests, open world grind fests or games as service grind fests or all of the above. Activision had the Spiderman license for like almost 20 years, why didn't they ever put out a game even as half as good as this new Spiderman? Spiderman 2 was close but not enough. It took a PS4 exclusive to make this because Lord knows a triple A publisher would've never let this game ship without micro transactions and/or more Service-y for recurring payments.
Buddy, you won't get any argument from me in regards to those publishers. Like I said, I think Sony and Nintendo are the 2 best publishers in the game right now.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really bothering me that Pokemon is #20 but Shadow and Yakuza Kiwami 2 aren't allowed. Even the quote they picked talks about it being a remake. Get that thing out of there.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Worthless requirement of having to justify your nominations + Nintendo games not having a chance this year. This forum is way too big to only have 1100 ballots
I ain't got no damn time to be writing essays. This ain't no college class got dammit.

But seriously I can't even remember if I voted. But that did make stay away from voting at first.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why such a large decline in votes?

For me, it was a much less interesting year in big games than 2017. Nier Automata was a breakthrough in games as a meaningful artform and at least generation defining. At best, GoW is a great game, but that's all it is.

There were quite a few good indie games, but those are always going to get fewer votes than AA/AAA titles.

Wait a minute, Yakuza Kiwami 2 wasn't eligible to be on the main rankings because it was a remake... but if it had been, it would have replaced Pokémon Let's Go... which is also a remake?

Seems arbitrary... what's the line?

Somewhere between the two. There's a wide expanse between Kiwami 2 (which is largely the original reimplemented in an updated engine) and Let's Go (which is a totally different looking and playing game that revisits the"story" and some moments from the original).

Last edited:

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
7 of my top 10 picks were in the ERA top 10. Almost scary how close my personal list was.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
lol never noticed it for Pokemon

"Pokemon Let's Go is a perfect, updated remake of Yellow"

come on now it's just embarrassing

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a great year. I don't look at a single game on that list and think "why the hell is this on the GOTY list?" as I have in some previous years.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
*Sees CrossCode at #60*
You all are sleeping on this game something fierce. This game is easily one of the best games of the year in a year of really good games. I hope it can get a bit more publicity when it hits consoles, cause damn, it deserves it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
For me the issue isn't that Hollow Knight isn't a remake/port/whatever. My issues are two-fold:

1) They have been working on that game since its more barebones release on PC with the console releases being close to or at final. The only difference between it and Dead Cells, which counted this year, is one was labeled as early access and the other wasn't.

2) Also who cares? If enough of Resetera wants to put a port on their list and the categorization doesn't allow it, then the categorization is bad.

also

2a). Yakuza Kiwami 2 not getting in but RE2 likely getting counted in 2019 is hells of AAA bias.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's an awesome list of games, I'm happy to say I've played all the top-10 (though I have some more to go on a few). It's been a great year in games from a bunch of angles and seeing them all in one place reminds me that this medium is in a pretty darn good spot!

Now to get back to some of these...

Bryan's one of the most exuberant folks I've seen in the industry this year, really love his work as Connor and his and Amelia's streaming has been super consistent and impressively risen through the months.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing list guys. Thanks to those who voted.

I was gonna jump on the train of people complaining about Hollow Knight, but I didn't realize it didn't come out on most platforms until last year. Definitely deserves to be on this list, as it was robbed from having a chance due to its weird release window.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey in the best Switch games list is dumb though.

Why such a large decline in votes?
I didn't vote because I didn't necessarily care enough about anything that came out last year in particular. Two years ago I wanted Breath of the Wild to win, so I voted.

Last year, my most-played games were Path of Exile and Destiny 2.

Last edited:

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
It is Nintendo dominated. It's just also Sony dominated. A Sony or Nintendo published game has won every Era/Gaf GOTY since 2011 with Portal 2. 7 years. 7 damn years.

Most of those years are deserved (like this year and last year) but the niche of the place definitely shows, not that there's anything wrong with that, when you have Bloodborne beating Witcher 3, Bayo 2 beating Dragon Age, or Journey beating anything at all (2012 was a weak year admittedly).

Umm I fail to see the lies? Even though Witcher 3 was my personal GOTY that year it wasn't like Knack won and it's an obvious bias. Bayo 2 holds up, go play Dragon Age now. The tradition has carried on here. What 3rd party game would you say was "clearly" robbed from GOTY?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So can someone explain the Best Remake category?

I feel like this should be called "Best Port/Remake Games"

Oct 25, 2017
About why voting was down.....

It's an involved process and kind of annoying tbh.

There MUST be a comment or get banned. The titles MUST be bolded. MUST follow this exact format and title.

I'm sure there was a reason for all of that, but it seemed like work for something I didn't really care THAT much about.

Dunno, thats my opinion. I eventually did it, but I could have easily not done it either tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.