• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelington

Sep 13, 2019
Canada
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - By far the best game I played this year, and currently, in my opinion, the best game available on the Switch. Great story, fun and rewarding gameplay, some of the most interesting and compelling characters I've seen in a game, and the best soundtrack of the year. Pushes the Fire Emblem series forward in so many innovative ways and I couldn't be more excited to see where the series goes from here.
  2. Death Stranding - One of the most unique gaming experiences I've had. While the core gameplay loop definitely isn't for everyone, I found it deeply relaxing. While the story had a lot of problems, the themes and ideas presented struck a personal emotional chord with me. The entire experience is elevated by an incredible soundtrack.
  3. Judgement - An incredible spin-off of the Yakuza franchise. Experiments with a ton of new ideas, while still maintaining what makes the Yakuza series so amazing. Manages to make the familiar Kamurocho setting feel new and fresh. Probably the best written story of the year, with really compelling and fun characters.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - I struggle to think of a better remake. Takes the gameplay and ideas of the original game and effortlessly pushes them into todays day and age. Mr. X is such an incredibly interesting antagonist from a gameplay perspective, and I'm excited to see how Capcom iterates on these ideas in the Resident Evil 3 Remake.
  5. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - An expansion with enough content to be a game in its own right. Takes the things that made MHW so compelling and improves upon them.
  6. Ring Fit Adventure - This game tricked me into enjoying cardio exercises.
  7. Devil May Cry 5 - Easily the best game in the Devil May Cry series. All three characters have incredibly unique and incredibly fun play styles that reward players for experiment to try and find the best combos. The dynamic music system is also a highlight as it further reinforces the will to get more proficient at the game.
  8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I'll beat that final boss one of these days goddamnit.
  9. Pokemon Sword/Shield - This game has a ton of issues... But I still put in close to 100 hours and I'll probably put in just as many with the expansions.
  10. Mortal Kombat 11 - This is the first Mortal Kombat game where the gameplay just clicked for me. It makes me actually want to get good at the game and I feel rewarded for returning to the game every now and then

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
PS_Messages_20200118_182737.jpg

1. Borderlands 3 - Main story/characters are a bit of a disappointment but the gameplay and basically everything else about the loop I love so much since Borderlands 1 is better than ever. The fact that all post-release content has been great is a nice bonus too.
  2. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Gotta love the inventive title for helping me to remember this game from all the mentions it got. Picked it up on a whim during a sale and played through it all while high and it was amazing. I still listen to the soundtrack on the regular. It may not be as satisfying as other rhythm games in the gameplay department but it's so varied and beautiful and amazing.
  3. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - Was a bit iffy on the reliance on drifting a lot of the time and I still need to practice my sharp turns and master the mechanics but it's an absurdly fun kart racer that has completely blown past Mario Kart and the like in terms of the actual racing. One of the most creative and well fleshed out ways to monetize a GAAS in a good way is nice as well.
  4. Jedi: Fallen Order - A bit of a step down from Titanfall 2 but it's still Star Wars and a decent game and I had a lot of fun with it. I've detailed my thoughts in the OT before but yeah

PS_Messages_20200115_150955.jpg

I'm too tired to expand on this anymore and I usually only play games years after their release but figured I'd post this for posterity's sake , if I messed up with formatting somehow just lmk or fix it either or

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, I would've liked to have had the opportunity to play and subsequently include more games than I'm mentioning here, but once again I'll just have to be LTTP for other games that came out in the same year.

1. Devil May Cry 5 - Having been with the franchise since the very first game's original PS2 release, the prospect of losing everything that made it what it was thanks to the introduction of an undesired and unnecessary reboot never sat well with me. Thankfully, however, it would not mark the end of the original Devil May Cry series, the rejection of that new vision intended to supplant all that came before having completely derailed such ambitions. It took more than a decade to finally get an actual sequel to Devil May Cry 4, but it finally happened with this. Easily the best game in the series since Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, it's exactly what a return to form needed to be, with every bit as much thought having been put into its presentation as how the game itself plays. Not having Trish and Lady sidelined for the majority of the story, as well as having a certain someone among the playables would've been nice, but perhaps there might be an option for upgrading to a potential DMC5:SE one day in this new age of DLC expansions. Not that it wasn't good enough that I wouldn't just buy the whole game again, if need be.
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 - Like most Western fans of the Trails series, I had more than a few reservations about it trading hands from its previous, already proven publisher to one with a reputation for localization work of far lesser quality. Though NISA's work on CS3 has quite a few more issues compared to what Xseed had accomplished before them, at the same time they were well aware of the higher expectations that had been placed upon them as a result of faltering with the last Falcom game they had localized and the considerably greater challenge that came with this project, and indeed managed to put forth a respectable effort toward earning consumer trust. As for the game itself, it has not only the best pacing of the Cold Steel games seen up until now, but quite possibly the most satisfactory loop and rate of story progression of any Trails to date. It does well enough to explain things to people with less knowledge of the franchise, but it's quite clear that players are expected to be familiar with the first two Cold Steel games at minimum, and at least some knowledge of the events/casts of the Sky trilogy and the Crossbell duology only serves to enrich the experience as callbacks and familiar faces resonate with players. Using Hard mode as my baseline, difficulty could've been more balanced more evenly in places, battles with fodder eventually becoming trivialized with knowledge of prior CS battle systems/adapting to the new Break system and the proper use of character-specific Orders to fit the situation, while bosses vary more wildly. I also never had to use one of the cooking exploits in the previous games to build up enough money to buy necessary items and equipment early on, but the exceedingly cheap payouts that come with early battles and exploration changed that here. With all of that said, having an actual challenge on occasion after CS2 was often too easy even while starting on Hard proved refreshing in a way.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Though I have many fond memories of the original RE2 as a result of having grown up with it, at the same time I also admit that I'm not sparing in my criticisms of questionable writing and design decisions made with it while still acknowledging that it was nothing short of a miracle that it turned out as well as it did after RE 1.5 was scrapped. Therefore, I went into this remake being far more receptive to potential changes made to update it, and would say that the overwhelming majority of them very much paid off in the end. After Capcom had already gotten the series back on the right track with RE7, REmake 2 managed to be even better and I would say the most I've enjoyed a mainline RE since RE4. Not only is the game great to look at in all of its gory detail, incredibly detailed cast and locations, and frequently foreboding atmosphere, learning the ins and outs of its mechanics and environments on the way to mastering the game is one of the most satisfying experiences I've had this gen. I also loved what they've done with not only how they've changed the routes, weaponry, and story with Claire's scenario, but how they've updated Claire herself as well, who I went from regarding as someone I had always been indifferent to since her introduction to now considering her easily one of my favorite protagonists in the series. Still, it would've been nice if more effort had been put forth to differentiate the 1st and 2nd scenarios as had been the case with the original's A and B scenarios, which also resulted in even more inconsistencies than had already been the case back then. I would also be lying if I said that I enjoyed playing Leon just as much as Claire in this, his weapons, enemy encounters, and routes having been less satisfying to me and occasionally feeling more like a chore, pretty much making him the loser in this version from my perspective. A complete reversal from the original RE2, where playing through as Leon was far preferable to picking Claire (which makes it all the more a shame that the RE.net statistics show that only around 20% of people pick Claire first, with trophy statistics confirming that less than 40% ever finish the game with her compared to more than half with Leon). Not a fan of the adaptive difficulty that's there regardless of whom you pick either, not for taking more damage for the better you play so much as for doing less to the same enemies with same weapons.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Another incredible, brutally difficult, massively rewarding From game that had me marveling at the depth that Miyazaki can bring to action games. I have never felt more satisfaction in an action game than from the rhythm of deflections, ninja tools, and contextual skills used in conjunction with enemies that have complicated and varied move-sets all with almost pinpoint hit boxes. It will be hard to go back to the mediocrity of all the Souls-like games coming out every year. Out of all the games on this list, Sekiro exceeded all my expectations and delivered the full package of a well told story, intriguing environments, insane bosses, and non-stop action.

2. Disco Elysium - The best written game of the year, I was shocked at how much choice there is in this amazing indie game. So many interactions that lead to beautiful little nuggets of story and character, failures often lead to even more interesting scenarios. Probably the closest I ever felt to playing a table top RPG in a video game but with the added bonus of tailored story telling.

3. Death Stranding - Hideo Kojima at his best and worst as many in this thread, who added this game to their list, would agree. The core gameplay loop and how it grows as the game progresses is massively addicting and yes, actually fun. Despite the hate the game has gotten for its QWOPish traversal, that aspect of the game is actually one of the many areas it shines in as exploration is no longer a mindless point a to b stroll. You have to plan out your routes, equipment, and what to deliver on your way to your destination while engaging with the environment, enemies from Monsters Inc., and umbilical ghosts so there is rarely any boredom to contend with. The ghost enemies and encounters are admittedly rather inconsistent in their quality along with the bosses but everything else makes up for it. The story is batshit crazy and not particularly well written but the performances from the actors are my favorite of the year and it always stays entertaining. The soundtrack is amazing and the way its interwoven into the game tops most games that attempt such a thing. The online aspect is a great expansion of what the Souls game do to an extent and gave me a lot of fantastic and memorable moments. Smash that LIKE button.

4. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Finally got to this before the deadline and its such a damn good campaign/expansion from the MMO team. I pray every day that YoshiP and his team get their hands on FF16.

5. Devil May Cry 5 - Stylish Action is back and this game delivered on what I need from DMC. V segments were the weakest but that didn't stop Nero and especially Dante from having fantastic fucking gameplay.

6. Control - Despite the technical issues I had with this title on PC and losing save data, I ended up coming back to the game and finishing it because it really is a must play from 2019. Really clever level design and some snappy telekinetic action along with its story concept make up for its issues with inventory management and difficulty spikes.

7. A Plague Tale: Innocence - A really surprising title from a small studio with really high production values and fantastic voice work, this game provides a tough story and tense gameplay that kept my interest even if the stealth in it was just barely serviceable.

8. Metro Exodus - Another solid Metro FPS campaign that opens things up even more. A bit messy and some technical issues on PC but still good enough to make the list.

9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I backed this game what feels like a millennia ago, Iga brought us another fantastic Castlevania game that has a massive amount of content and variety in the tools it gives you. The maps are as meandering and full of little secrets as always which is what I've come to expect. The game suffers from severe balancing issues unfortunately but I still had a lot of fun with it.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - Disco Elysium is a game that changed my entire notion of what a game can be and honestly makes me look down on other video game's narratives. I have over 150 hours logged onto this game across several different playthroughs and I still don't think I've seen every possible story event. I can only hope to play a title as innovative as this one soon in the next decade of video games.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - I was worried Capcom was going to fuck up the remake; but they managed to recapture most of the magic of the original games in a revised formula that most will find more enjoyable. One of the best AAA titles released in years.
  3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Ritual of the Night is the best Castlevania game I've played in years and the Kickstarter project that paid off most for me. Don't think there was a single unenjoyable moment. Just good old dang fun to play.
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 - My favorite new switch title; a great mix of fun gameplay and innovation, and very impressive graphics considering the hardware it's running on. There's not much to hate and I just want this series to continue and maybe add more stuff to do with money and treasure collected to really nail home everything.
  5. Super Mario Maker2 - It didn't blow me away, but met my expectations. Just tons of fun to have playing or creating levels.

And really that's all that stood out to me this year. I got Sekiro as a gift on PC, but didn't really get into it my first time around so I have to give that another shot; I avoided a few titles that were EGS exclusives that I can't comment on; got Goose Game (On Switch) and Baba Is You recently (Like after Christmas) but have yet to try either of them so I can't rank them at all. It felt like sort of a dull year honestly, especially for PS4 titles (I don't think I got any PS4 games aside from KH3 which I haven't even tried yet since I tell myself I need to replay through the collection first).

But Disco and RE2 alone might be some of my most favorite games released in a while so it does help to make the year stand out. Hoping RE3 is near the top of my 2020's game list next year.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild that I've been doing these posts for so many years. I can't step away! Again I've made it a point to avoid mentioning excellent re-releases of classics, but I did make one exception this year. As always, don't pay too much attention to the order:

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    FromSoftware

sekiro5dj4k.png

It's Souls but with less of the stuff I don't care about and more of the stuff I do care about. Like, moreso than Bloodborne, even. The action in the Souls games doesn't really get bogged down by the character customization stuff, but there's no doubt that Sekiro's more Ys-like character progression allows for bosses and enemies that make players use a wider variety of techniques. Each new boss led me through a cycle of thinking they were impossible to learning all their attacks to cheering when I beat them, and most impressively this cycle actually carries all the way to the game's utterly magical final battle rather than plateauing early. Sekiro stands out a lot in this respect, but most of the other strengths of the Souls games are present here: gorgeous environments, an exactly-as-present-as-necessary plot, a perfectly bleak tone and atmosphere, a constant uncertainty when it comes to what the "necessary" path is, and so on. There are some other neat wrinkles, too, like the grappling hook, the light stealth, and the Dragonrot stuff. Better than Bloodborne?

2. Resident Evil 2
    Capcom

resident_evil_2h1kaa.png

Fuck, this was incredible. I think that, in general, I don't really want games to get remade over and over again, but the result here is undeniably one of the best games of its kind. The core mechanics being basically RE4 plus a few key tweaks from the "classic" games (over-the-top melee attacks being gone, sub-weapons being consumable to escape grabs) leads to a good foundation. The low player health, scarce ammo, and awesome enemy behavior (like the genuinely unpredictable zombies and the relentlessness of Mr. X) all topped off with Hardcore mode's ink ribbons help keep things as tense as ever. The puzzles are light, but serve as a good pace-breaker (just like in the original). The atmosphere is through the roof, and the whole game looks surprisingly natural and consistent in a way that not even RE7 did. I am completely blindsided by how good this was.

3. Apex Legends
    Respawn Entertainment

apex_legendsptjlf.png

Been playing this since launch, currently on season 3. You don't have all the mobility from Titanfall, but you have enough of it to make the game feel pretty fucking freeing. Tense squad battles where you're dancing around a building by sliding under it or climbing over the roof, frantically meleeing and reloading, is pretty common. The map size, player count, and squad sizes are perfect for each other, and while you'll occasionally get a slow game, they're rare and the gear is balanced in a way to generally discourage you from avoiding combat. The sci-fi theme and a solid cast of characters/classes helps.

Still hootin' and hollerin' when I take a win and I don't see my friend group quitting the game any time soon.

4. Blazing Chrome
    JoyMasher

blazing_chromegbkh0.png

Such a well-done, cohesive look (I guess the devs were aiming for Salamander 2 level hardware), both in terms of technical decisions and just having good-ass pixel art. Dope bosses, dope weapons. It's a bit longer than most arcade-style games and the best console Contras, but it rarely ever drags. Melee is fun as hell, hardcore mode seems cool and maybe the unlocked characters are pretty unique? Certainly the best game in this style in a long time. Single-credit cleared on Normal.

5. Devil May Cry 5
    Capcom

devil_may_cry_53qkwr.png

I loved this. Probably dethroning my former favorite of 'em (the original). The presentation is nuts, with this insane amount of detail in all of the environments and especially the characters, and to see all of this acting in total sincere service of... Nero spinning through the air in slow-motion to that Devil Trigger song? It's beautiful. The three playable characters help keep the game plenty varied. Nero is as cool as he was in DMC4, with the satisfying rhythm-sword mechanics and the super-cool throw animations. Dante is full Late Tony Hawk syndrome, with every mechanic he's ever had just smashed into one game. And the newcomer, V, is super unique and has you remote-controlling a few demons at once. Unlike DMC3, the game's cast of enemies is fun to fight throughout and rarely feel like complete punching bags, and the bosses are a step up from any other game in the series. The late game stuff even gave me flashes of Ninja Gaiden! And to top it all off, the harder of the two difficulty levels they give you right at the start is pretty sufficiently spicy provided you don't use revival options. I can't wait for Bloody Palace, and I'm definitely gonna have to play the harder difficulties down the line.

6. Jedi: Fallen Order
    Respawn Entertainment

jedi_fallen_order3uk45.png

Like Sekiro, Fallen Order takes a lot from the Souls games but leans more on the action, just giving you a very simple skill tree. It kind of reminds me of an older Ys game in terms of giving you just enough item progression, character progression, and map freedom to make it feel like a grand adventure without actually becoming amorphous. The hardest difficulty feels pretty balanced and combat does a good job of flexing the movelist, but in a tonally appropriate move the game ditches the obscurity of Dark Souls by giving you a clear and friendly automap. The setting generally focuses on the cool parts of Star Wars and the ending stretch is incredible.

The only real downsides are rough edges related to animation. This was a shockingly good first game of its kind from Respawn.

7. Pistol Whip
    Cloudhead Games

pistol_whip8kjrs.png

The basic idea of Pistol Whip is that you're gliding through bespoke forward-scrolling stages, lightgun shooting the shit out of enemies, and physically dodging bullets, only everything is set to crunchy electronic music. This includes the choreography of enemy spawns, the timing of enemy shots, the travel times that the bullets take to reach you, and so on. The music is fantastic, incoming dangers are communicated with complete clarity, and the enemy death animations never get old. Stages get incredibly hectic, but the game has generous amounts of auto-aim and completely justifies it.

This is all pretty great, and you can play the game ignoring the scoring mechanics and have a lot of fun, but those mechanics really elevate everything. The auto-aim, cleverly, affects how many points you earn per shot depending on how far off you were pre-correction, and shooting to the rhythm is a huge factor. Combine that with an incredibly satisfying maximum-point melee attack (the titular Pistol Whip, of course), and you'd have to actively try to ignore the scoring system. There's a set of modifier options that significantly change things up, too, the most interesting being one to turn off auto-aim (passing songs on Easy becomes a challenge with this).

Music games are obviously a pretty natural fit for VR. While I love AirTone and Beat Saber, neither got me as pumped as Pistol Whip. This is one of my favorite VR games, easily, and that's saying a lot. And while I don't think the game is lacking as-is, there's so much potential here for more stages, harder difficulties, and more enemy types with unique mechanics tied to them.

8. Death Stranding
    Kojima Productions

death_stranding29jgx.png

For as long as this game is, and as barren and desolate as the setting is, the core mechanics remain engaging throughout. It's fun to carry shit from point A to point B. The movement rules are surprisingly nuanced and take some time to learn. The survival elements hit that sweet spot of being something you're mindful of without being something you're annoyed by. The combat encounters, when they happen, are actually well-done and not throwaway. New wrinkles constantly appear at JUST the right time, balanced by a satisfying sense of progression as you see the infrastructure you're building help yourself and other players. The narrative is weird and nonsense at first but actually pretty fucking good by the end, and all of the cutscenes are well-shot and pretty well-acted. Watch out for the occasional long stretch of over-exposition, though.

This is a great game, and one that I was hesitant to suggest to others at first but would now do wholeheartedly.

9. Control
    Remedy Entertainment

control94ji8.png

TAKE. CONTROL. This was really good. The visuals are stunning: the environments are clean and cold and elegant, the destruction effects are some of the best I've seen in the genre in years (maybe the most I've been impressed since Max Payne), and the real-time raytracing (better-implemented here than anywhere else I've seen) lends everything a super-cohesive look. The plot is a bit whatever in the end but I appreciated the tone of the game and there was a pretty decent sense of mystery throughout.

The combat built on Quantum Break in a way I didn't expect. QB stripped away some elements common to third person shooters, and instead of reinstating those, Control almost takes on an Armored Core feel. The game still has aim-down-sights, but hip fire is often enough unless you're going for a headshot or using one of the more precise weapons. There's no formal reload mechanic, only cooldowns on your living weapon and your psi abilities. You'll levitate, you'll bring up shields, and one of your abilities is a fast, long dash with a real pause at the end. Enemies often fire homing missiles that make you flex it. There's no cover system, and you can't even fire from crouch. It's pretty fast and unique and sometimes tricky (thankfully the game's only difficulty level is pretty well-balanced). These battles get scattered around a vaguely Metroid-sized world, which is just right and has some pretty awesome side-missions. There's a little bit of character progression bloat in the form of weapon mods, but like in all games where this stuff is tolerable instead of insufferable, you can mostly ignore it outside of the small core skill tree.

10. ESP RA.DE. PSY
    Cave Interactive, M2

esprade8vk4z.png

I never really sat down for long with ESP RA.DE. in the past, since I generally focused on DoDonPachi when I spent time with any of the first generation hardware Cave games. So far I'm loving it. It's been fun to experiment with the characters (landed on Yusuke), and while I think I've landed on a route after looking up the details, the slight stage shuffling makes for some welcome variety early on much like it does in Psikyo and Raizing games. The visuals are gorgeous, being the last title before Cave went all-in on pre-rendered, and I'm a sucker for pretty much all of the backgrounds save for the sewers. The soundtrack and is pumping and all the surrounding art is great, too, making for a uniquely dark game by Cave's standards.

I suspect that the difficulty level is a bit lower than normal if I were to use the bomb meter. I'm currently finding myself hoarding it way too much and, as a result, find things to be kinda spicy, but that's on me for not using my bomb juice and freeing up space for the game to give me more. It's also, like in Ketsui, easy to get into the scoring system due to it being largely based on one fun easy-to-understand but hard-to-master action.

As always, M2 went wild on the port. It's apparently accurate and full of cool shit (a lot of which I haven't fully explored), but the star sounds like the new playable character. If this weren't a 1998 game at its heart it would absolutely be higher on this list.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

boneworks.png
shenmue_iii.png
xeno_crisis.png
the_ninja_warriors_once_again.png
sayonara_wild_hearts.png
mortal_kombat_11.png
ape_out.png
bloodstained.png
the_legend_of_zelda_links_awakening_2019.png

• Boneworks
    Stress Level Zero

Probably the first thing that should be said about Boneworks is that it's a mess. Much of the player's body is physically simulated in a way that most games don't bother with (let alone VR games), and the player's viewport is at the mercy of a lot of unexpected motion. Pushing your hands outwards when you're facing a wall, for example, will push your body (and thus your head) backwards. It's a slightly uncomfortable game for me at times, and potentially a nightmare for those prone to VR sickness.

That said, playing with these physically-simulated mechanics is pretty engrossing, especially at the start. There's a really cool and unique feeling to jumping, grabbing a ledge, and then pulling stuff off said ledge with your other hand. Or to using a crowbar to pull yourself up. Melee weapons can be held in all sorts of orientations, with one or two hands, and thanks to the simulated arms the difference in control and force is clear. The environments are full of breakable physics objects, and you'll often be climbing on makeshift stairs or having to cross precarious bridges. I'm not sold that the game would be worse if the climbing (the most uncomfortable part by far) were more artificial, though, and some of the physics "puzzles" can feel like a chore depending on the solution you try to use.

Most of the enemies you run into are stupid zombies, but the physics help the combat stand out in its own way. Melee with them is surprisingly visceral: they flail to get at your face, they'll trip over stuff on the ground, you can grab them by the head in one hand and stab them with a knife in the other, push them off ledges, you name it. And this game's version of the Half-Life headcrab is an absolute joy to fight: their robotic limbs send them flying as you lean out of the way, knock them out of their flight path, try to shoot them, maybe even catch them. They're terrifying and had me in an absolute panic on first encounter. Guns are pretty much in the Pavlov mold, but heavier guns do have weight to them and you do have to be mindful of what your arms are capable of, again giving the experience some novelty.

When you combine all of the above with an extremely well-executed Half-Life style tone and stages with a ton of stuff to find, you get a game that feels pretty magical at times. On the flip side, the retry structure and difficulty curve is baffling: dying generally keeps enemies dead and you have to trek back through an empty map, but sometimes it straight-up resets the whole map? Apparently the developers plan on adding mid-stage checkpoints in an upcoming update? And there's a slow-motion mechanic that is often EXTREMELY cool-looking, but for some reason they give you infinite slowmo juice.

Give it a shot if you can stomach it. There's nothing else like it yet. I expect Half-Life Alyx to succeed where this game falters, though.

• Shenmue III
    YS Net

This feels like a way more natural continuation than it has any right to. Save for some slightly more comfortable control mechanics and modern visuals (which are mostly pretty impressive), this is mostly what I remember the originals being like. The atmosphere, pacing, odd jobs, stilted dialog, all of that.

On one hand, I like the focus on Ryo's constant training as a fighter, narratively, and the game does a surprisingly good job of tying this into the in-game day-to-day. On the other, it does wear a bit later in the game. I'm looking forward to the fourth, if it happens.

• Xeno Crisis
    Bitmap Bureau

A very technologically impressive Genesis game (it was released this year, after all) in the same vein as Robotron. The limited ammo, grenades, roll, and melee are all pretty well balanced and keep you moving around the stuffed arenas without feeling like an unreadable slog. The difficulty curve is kinda strange in that the first stage boss seems like one of the hardest in the game, so I'd probably suggest not going for a 1cc, but it's still a blast.

• The Ninja Warriors Once Again
    Natsume Atari

This is such a weird one. Like Wild Guns Reloaded, the amount of effort that went into this game is huge, but you may not necessarily notice if you haven't played the original recently. The reworked pixel art is fantastic and has a lot of huge new enemy sprites, smooth animations, backgrounds with less tiling, and so on. The new moves and characters bring a ton of mechanical variety, too, and maybe Hard mode is really different? I've just unlocked the characters with a couple playthroughs so far, but I look forward to trying to 1cc on Hard.

• Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Simogo

Fantastic experience aesthetically. Super stylish visuals and a wonderful soundtrack that the game is deeply tied to. It's worth playing for this alone, not unlike Rez. You'll breeze through it very quickly, with frequent infinite-retry checkpoints, but there's some mechanical fun to be had trying to get Gold ranks on each of the game's very short stages. My complaints are with how the game's stages and retry points are structured: the standard game mode provides almost no challenge unless you're going for score, and constantly interrupts the flow by taking you back to the stage selection between each stage. Only after beating the game are you given the option to play the entire series of stages without interruption, and only after gold-ranking everything to you get the only mode with limited lives. It kills me thinking about how much better this arcade-inspired game would be if it simply offered some kind of arcade-structured mode from the get go.

• Mortal Kombat 11
    NetherRealm Studios

This is the first of the modern NRS games that I've given an honest shot, and it's pretty fun once you get used to allllllll the unique mechanics (it kinda feels like these guys have never played a non-MK fighting game, for better and worse) and the weak animations. I really like Jax. Pretty much every hit of his is super satisfying, and landing the overhead slam krushing blow is one of the greatest things ever. Lots of single-player stuff to do, but there's no fucking way I'm grinding through getting many cosmetics kosmetics.

• Ape Out
    Gabe Cuzzillo, Bennett Foddy, Matt Boch

This is a short Hotline Miami sort of game, but the mechanics are more elegant, the checkpoints are a liiiittle bit more spaced out, the visuals are this perfect execution of a Saul Bass title card look, and the player actions feed into an excellent dynamic jazz soundtrack. There's some pretty neat stuff unlocked as you go, too, including a tense arcade mode that I'd like to dig into a bit.

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    ArtPlay

Definitely surpassed my expectations. The variety and castle complexity they managed to have while not having all the old games to grab stuff from is really impressive, and the unique elements of the game (right stick aiming stuff, some late-game abilities) are really cool. The difficulty curve worked out better for me than Order of Ecclesia, too. The inconsistent visuals are the biggest complaint I have about the game (I think most of the 2D games look better), but it's not a huge one.

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Grezzo, Nintendo

This is the densest 2D Zelda game, probably, and that's probably why I prefer it over Link to the Past. There's something neat about the basic Ys-like plot, the dungeons are exactly as long as they should be, and some of the bosses are genuinely fun to fight! That endgame puzzle is a cool change of pace. I think the remake is a better game than the original mostly due to the fluid Hyrule camera, but the adorable look helps. Hero mode is a bit silly in the world map (you respawn exactly where you die), but it works well in dungeons. Shame about the fluctuating performance.

And of course, I couldn't play everything this year that I wanted to. Off the top of my head, I really wish I could have played enough of Natsuki Chronicle, Disco Elysium, Asgard's Wrath, and Stormlands to feel comfortable talking about them here. See you next year! I have one game in particular I'm REALLY hoping to put on my 2020 list.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Is there a more satisfying combat system in video games? I've shied away from From Software games before, but I finally dipped my toes in with this one as it got rid of the RPG mechanics and various builds that felt daunting to me. Instead, they made a pure action game that focuses entirely on the sword, and boy does it deliver. The combat has such a great rhythm to it; there's an elegance to the mix of slashing your sword and nailing the tight parry windows, with the occasional perilous attack that needs to be dodged with sidesteps or jumps. The masterfully design bosses truly test your ability to juggle these four basic options, and while you can mix things up with the prosthetic arm and it's myriad of tools, everything in the game can be defeated with this core moveset. Every mistake I made in this game was my fault, and I could feel myself learning and getting better with each successive death. Nothing matches the pure adrenaline rush of taking out a boss after you finally nail down their patterns, especially that final boss which took me six hours to finally get down. The boss fights really are the star of the show, with the final boss seriously in contention for best boss fight of all time.
    There's so much more to this game too. I had a blast exploring the land of Ashina, in part because of Sekiro's movement options that make running around a blast thanks to the addition of the jump button and the grappling hook, along with a lack of stamina. It's also such an immaculately designed environment that cleverly connects its areas in usual From Software fashion. The art direction is astounding as well, these guys are just masters at their craft. Sekiro is a masterpiece and has turned me into a From Software evangelist, I can't wait to go back and play their back catalog and will certainly be there day one for Elden Ring and anything else they put out from here.
    Sekiro.png
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This is such an incredible turnaround from the previous entry. Intelligent Systems basically pulled off the concept they wanted to in Fates and did it without splitting the release up. The game offers up four very distinct routes that are incredibly satisfying on their own merits, and make for the most content rich Fire Emblem we've ever gotten. The characters are the best written they've ever been in the series, especially as you see them placed in different roles depending on which story you are embarking on. Your favorite ally in one run must be brutally taken down in the next, but no matter the situation the characters feel true to themselves. The only difference is whether or not they had the chance to be influenced by you, their teacher, who brings out the best in their students. The world of Fódlan and all of its politics and history are so incredibly interesting for players who appreciate that kind of deep lore.
    The school setting actually turned out to be great for the gameplay too. Running through Garreg Mach Monastery and completing the various activities within is very addicting, and having the units be your students is a great excuse to give you full customization in how to grow them into classes and skills as you see fit. The strategy gameplay itself holds up to the high standards of previous entries as well. Oh, and the soundtrack is absolutely stellar. This is Intelligent Systems magnum opus, no question about it.
    Fire_Emblem_Tres_Casas.png
  3. Pokémon Sword/Shield - Despite all the controversy throughout its pre-release period, Game Freak's first console entry in its long running monster catching phenomenon pretty much did exactly what I wanted from it. As always, the Pokémon themselves are the star of the show, and the newest batch does not disappoint. It isn't just the creatures themselves though, I think the trainer designs and the art direction of the Galar region are the strongest they've been. The world is very well realized and I'm especially fond of the dazzling new take on gym battles, they feel more grand than ever before thanks to the new Dynamax feature and the roaring crowds that are cheering you on. The Wild Area is a fantastic addition that made Pokédex completion the most fun it's ever been, I cannot wait to see this concept further fleshed out. The new multiplayer features definitely deserve mention, raiding is a great way to play with friends who find competitive battling too daunting. This is a great execution of one of my favorite franchises.
    Pokemon_Sword.png
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - The original Game Boy game was always a classic, but it was really held back by the hardware it was on. This remake has allowed this gem to be properly appreciated. The game is largely the same as it was in 1993, but the minor upgrades really are game changers. Having more buttons to work with and eliminating screen scrolling in favor of a widescreen overview without loading eliminates so much tedium. Exploration is actually fun now, and the gorgeous visuals make it a treat. Everything else that made the game special is still here, with neat dungeons to get through and a charming cast of characters and a story that genuinely touched me. Grezzo did a great job modernizing this game for newer audiences.
    Lonk_Awoke.png
  5. Untitled Goose Game - Who knew terrorizing folks as a goose could be so fun? House House has created such a clever little sandbox game featuring the eponymous goose. There's surprisingly a lot you can do without opposable thumbs. The game is just so silly, and I took immense pleasure ruining all these people's day. It was such a pleasure, in fact, that I zoomed through the entire game in a single setting. It was a blast all the way through, and definitely did not overstay it's welcome. It also caps off in just the perfect way, I laughed out loud at the ending. Honk honk honk!
    Untitled_Goose_Game.png
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Next Level Games really took all the criticism of Dark Moon to heart and set out to make the definitive Luigi's Mansion game, and they largely succeeded. Returning to a singular setting that you can freely explore is great, and the hotel was a really fun way to bring that idea about. There's so many neat ideas in each floor of the hotel, and the game just oozes charm with the way everyone animates. The boss fights in particular are just exploding in personality. Perfect game to release on Halloween.
    Luigi_3.png
  7. Astral Chain - I appreciate PlatinumGames going beyond their standard formula and attempting to include slower paced exploration and puzzle solving between the crazy set pieces they're most known for. The action combat is still as great as ever though, and this one has a neat twist with the various companions you summon that essentially have you controlling two characters at once.
    Astral_Chain.png
  8. Baba is You - Really unique and inventive puzzle game. It's centered around word blocks that determine the "rules," but these words blocks can be shifted around to change the characteristics of certain objects. Arvi Teikari got a lot of mileage around this gimmick, and the game does a great job making me feel simultaneously like the smartest and dumbest man alive.
    Baba_is_You.png
  9. Control - Jesse has a really dope moveset that made me feel more like a Jedi than any Star Wars game has. Remedy also knows how to make solid gunplay, which is not something you'll hear me say often as I loathe most shooters. The game is very bizarre but in all the best ways.
    Control.png
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's still fun to make Mario levels and play other's creations, plus it's now got a fun little story mode with a healthy chunk of Nintendo made levels.
    Super_Mario_Maker_2.png

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Walking Dead: The Telltale Definitive Series - A fantastic end to a series I loved. I had given it up for dead, only to be happy to be wrong in the end. Cemented itself as the best way to experience the walking dead universe.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Another outstanding game from From. The more frenetic nature of Bloodborne, but far less forgiving. The parry focus was an interesting departure from their usual style.
  3. Death Stranding - A game that manages to be both bloated and flawed, yet wholly unique and interesting. I ultimately came away having enjoyed it. Very much a game that is more than a sum of its parts.
  4. Control - A game that oozes style and has an amazing atmosphere. The gameplay itself isn't entirely engaging, but the rich world makes up for it.
  5. The Outer Worlds - A game I loved that was ultimately hurt by having a poor back third or so.
  6. Gears 5 - A very enjoyable campaign and horde mode, but the MP left quite a bit to be desired despite re-upping in the previous games because of loving them and spending a lot of time with them.
  7. Slay the Spire - I'm a sucker for card games, and this one was the cream of the crop last year.
  8. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - A very enjoyable SP with some nice throwbacks. I don't like COD MP, but loved the spec ops. It being an abomination in this game was a letdown.
  9. Outer Wilds - Incredinbly original and interesting. I would love to see other games ape some of the design of this game. Marred by some frustration I had trying to execute on what was needed to complete the game, despite knowing what I needed to do.
  10. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Look this game is buggy as hell, but it was a lot of fun. A game with very little in the way of original ideas, but sometimes that's okay if it's a fun ride.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Loved everything about it, the landscapes were beautiful and the sense of isolation in the game really stuck a chord with me. The final mission was quite emotional as well, really liked the game.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I went into Sekiro not having played a souls game before. My main reason for wanting to try it was because it reminded me a lot of Tenchu. After having played it I have an itching to try out the souls games now. Such a great game and really made me feel rewarded when I eventually overcame a fight that I would be stuck on for a long time.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 -Having never played a DMC game before (a theme for me this year) I really liked how the game required a learning of its mechanics to truly play it properly and get really good combo scores. Makes me want to try out more character action games
  4. Resident Evil 2 - This was a great way to start off the year for me, a really polished remake, I may have even loved it more than my first playthrough of the original game. Really glad that they will be remaking Nemesis as well.
  5. Cadence of Hyrule - I impulse bought this after seeing it being played on the treehouse (and it being Zelda themed) and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the idea of playing a zelda game to a rhythm, Really wasn't expecting what I got out of this.

Looks like you don't have DMC5 bolded, I believe all titles need to be bolded?

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 - The best Cold Steel game to date with great pacing, good additions to an already great battle system and a story that kept me playing the game constantly for a few weeks.
  2. The House in Fata Morgana - An amazing VN that kept me playing my Vita this year that quickly became one of my favorite VNs of all time.
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - My favorite Luigi's Mansion with interesting locales inside the hotel and a fun gameplay loop, even if some of loop felt weak because of lack of use of the money acquired.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A definite step in the right direction for the franchise with an amazing cast of characters, even with the maps and overall tactical gameplay being a little weak for me.
  5. Judgment - I absolutely loved the approach the Yakuza team made with this new IP that had a story that kept me engaged and interested. The tailing missions got old after a while, but I would love to see more of this franchise in the future.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - One of the best character action games I have played far as combat goes with three interesting playstyles to go between.
  7. MLB The Show 19 - The game I played the most this year. I just love baseball and putting myself into the shoes of a baseball player (since I could never hope to be one).
  8. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Another great addition to the Shovel Knight family that plays like a Wario Land game with an extra card game. Just another good platformer from Yacht Club Games.
  9. AI: The Somnium Files - Having gone through most of the routes, (just got the game recently), this is a great release from Uchikoshi after ZTD with a great cast and a story that has kept me glued to my Switch the past few days.
  10. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - Close to the end of Part Two, I have loved almost everything about the game from the cast to the gameplay. The only thing that has really hurt my experience with the game has been the music. It's still a really great classic JRPG that I am eager to finish.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Special shout out to Game Pass, which is the only reason I managed to fill up a top 10 list with games I actually enjoyed this year!
  1. Resident Evil 2 - At the end of the day, RE2make was everything that makes the series special, all in one package. Puzzle box gameplay, with an intricate setting to map and explore? Yup. Fun, responsive survival mechanics that make combat feel stressful? Yup. A cheesy plot with memorable, lovable characters? Yup. While I'm sure there are things that could be BETTER about the game, I struggle to think of anything that's BAD about it. Like, maybe the Sherry section, but if that quick sequence is the only low point... you know you have a home run of a game.
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I've dabbled in Dragon Quest before, having played Builders and explored the first three games on mobile. In the past year, with Hero arriving in Smash and DQXI coming to Switch, I really dove in and fell in love with the series. It's JRPG in its purest form. No overly complex combat systems, no confusing lore, no esoteric plots and character relationships. And XI might be the best I've seen. It's gorgeous, it's fun, and its cast is one of the strongest I've seen in the genre.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A return to form for the series. Three Houses is a bit cheap, a bit repetitive, and a bit shallow. But I'll heap praise on Koei Tecmo here, because they knew intuitively where to spend their resources. The game is MASSIVE, with more than 3 full routes of content to enjoy, dozens of playable characters (almost all of whom are plot relevant, unlike prior entries), and an engaging world to play with. I do think the back half is a bit much, when the Monastery events start to feel more like chores, but you know what? You can skip them! They really thought of everything.
  4. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Let no one doubt Yacht Club Games. They've released four full campaigns, and I think each one has been better than the last. The additional side game of Joustus adds a fun twist on the tried-and-true Shovel Knight mechanics, and King Knight makes for a surprisingly compelling, and entirely unlikable, protagonist. And all for free to anyone who owns the base game! I'm VERY eager to see what they do next.
  5. Slay the Spire - There's something to the gameplay loop of the best roguelikes... you're dealt a bad hand, you misjudge an enemy, whatever. RNG just doesn't fall in your favor. You call bullshit, but you immediately start a new run. Slay the Spire is absolutely one of the best roguelikes, and I can't tell how many hours I've lost butting my head up against the wall with it. And with a new character just released, I expect there'll be many more hours to come.
  6. A Plague Tale: Innocence - I struggled with where to place A Plague Tale, because I'm not quite done with it yet - about 6 chapters to go. I hear the last third takes a turn for the worse, so this might be too high. Or, hell, it might be too low. What the game lacks in mechanical breadth or depth, it makes up for with an engaging cast of characters and a small enough scale to keep the momentum up. AA games like this are always a joy, even if the jank can be a bit much.
  7. Ape Out - Ape Out, really, deserves to be higher. It's interactive art. It's got jazz, it's got apes, it's got a satisfying and rewarding gameplay loop. Much like RE2, it's a game without any flaws I can think of. It lasts just long enough to avoid getting stale, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants something short and sweet. Unless you're the sort of person that doesn't want to tear through an office building as a runaway gorilla.
  8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I think Bloodstained, of all the Great Value versions of classic franchises, proves that there IS potential in letting designers try to strike gold twice. Sometimes, they manage to find it again! It's old school, and not always in a good way, with wonky balance and some iffy boss fights. It's exactly what it says on the tin, though, and that's something to respect.
  9. Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - With Gathering Storm, Civ VI has finally hit the stride that we've been waiting for. Yes, the AI still has issues, and yes, the basic design of the game isn't above critique. But it's packed full of systems to make every game unique, and the new civs (like Mali and the Maori) push some of the most unique playstyles in the series history. Fingers crossed we get a third expansion!
  10. Gris - It's a song you've heard before. Indie puzzle platformer, nothing too challenging, very short, but super artsy! Well, yeah, it's nothing new. But you know what? Sometimes you want something artsy. Every frame of Gris is like something from an art museum, and the audiovisual design in general is some of the best in the medium. Gameplay takes a back seat, but sometimes that's okay.
  11. Night Call - A great pitch! You play as a taxi driver who investigated crimes by chatting up his patrons. The mechanics don't ever really come together, so it's incredibly messy as a game, but I had a fun time.
  12. The Outer Worlds - A good effort from Obsidian, iterating on their Fallout legacy in some interesting ways. It's a tighter experience, but unfortunately a shallower one, so it's tough to recommend.
  13. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - If I was in a different mood when I gave Impossible Lair a spin, it could have been near the top of my list. But while I liked the original and love me a good DKC game, it just didn't click for me.
  14. Horace - This game is indie to the bone, the sort of thing you'd discover in a forgotten corner of the internet 10+ years ago. You can tell there's a lot to love in there. I just wish I had the energy to find it nowadays.
  15. Tetris 99 - I mean, it's just Tetris. Plus battle royale. But you know what? It works! I'm not really good at it, but I think it deserves a shout out here for making the gaming equivalent of a Reese's cup.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series. This being 1st place was a given... right? Good thing this game is deeper than a canyon, with characters that are among the best of the bunch. This surprisingly did not get old at all. Hard work definitely pays off with this one. Incredible story, and branching paths with a different motif and end goal for all. The definite Fire Emblem experience. Elements and iconography of this game are gonna stick around for years to come.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Capcom put out two blockbusters weeks within each other. When it came down to it, I chose Devil May Cry 5 above Resident Evil 2 simply because it was an addicting rush of a game. There was a high expectation to meet with a Devil May Cry title, and good things come to those who wait. They met every expectation, and exceeded them. You know a game is top of the line when people are actively still hoping the game receives both an update and DLC, unironically.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - The original 1998 game was still a high mark for the franchise coming in to this remake. So many checkmarks had to be meant for it to appease the hardcore fans. Resident Evil was fresh off of a reinvention with 7 and a new template with their RE Engine. Both were put to the test. 3rd person combat that brings Raccoon City's hellspawn closer than ever, plenty of modes to keep you coming back for more, and DLC that's as challenging as it is intense. A game so good, and so smooth, Resident Evil 3 took no time at all to begin development.
  4. Samurai Shodown - Yeah, a fighting game is this high up. A revival of a beloved SNK franchise with tons of style and flash to please the eyes and the hands controlling their character. It really is unlike any other fighter out there today. The feel of this classic 90s fighter was captured magnificently. Any mistake or miscalculation is costly. Classic characters are reborn, as well. Tons of support by the end of the year, and improvements in the gameplay and balance especially. This game was the proof that SNK was back, and better than ever.
  5. Kingdom Hearts 3 - This is just the year of games taking forever to actually get released. Though it was slightly past its expected date, the world got Kingdom Hearts 3. Not going to lie, the best part of this game is in the graphics department. I mean, going to the Toy Story world dropped jaws. We're now at the point where a Disney published video game looks like a Disney/Pixar movie. There was a ton of fun to be had, and an equal amount of stimulating visuals to round out the package.
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Pokemon games haven't changed all that much since 1998 on the gameplay front, but once again, we have a few good amount of features that I just want to keep coming back. Wild Area, especially. This Pokemon game has a lot of originality in its setting. A Pokemon game will never get you so pumped to battle to your heart's content until it treats a Pokemon battle like a national sport. That's what the world of Sword & Shield wants to accomplish. It's just as inviting as ever, and just as addicting as it's always been.
  7. The Outer Worlds - This adventure is definitely a textbook "good enough". The magic behind the building blocks of a modern Fallout entry shined through in this title. It's not a massive sprawling location to get lost in, but that just leaves oodles of side quests, and character relationships to get lost in. Really does seem like the standout with this game is its unique sense of humor, but there's nothing funny about downing a bottle of alcohol, and ripping criters to shreds with a minigun. Now "fun", it's more like that.
  8. Super Mario Maker 2 - Super Mario Maker 2 is a dangerous game. It's a game filled with possibility that could usurp if not replace Super Mario's 2D greats as we know them. Took a while to keep the game fresh with new items and tools, but creative levels were in no short supply. A game that is still as fun to create as it is to play.
  9. Gears 5 - No question. This game is a stunner. A campaign that, while it falls short of previous entries, it certainly doesn't fall flat. There were a few things that prevented it from getting placed higher on the list, but it's hard for them to bring this game down. It's not even getting to the multiplayer with some of the craziest cross promotion in franchise history. You wanna play a game experience where WWE Hall of Famer Batista can gun down a Terminator? Here you go.
  10. River City Girls - I'll say this about River City Girls. It really wants to be hip and trendy. It really wants to bring the River City Ransom RPGs struggling into the modern era. It has a lot of style from manga panels to introduce characters and plot, to the characters literally popping out of their portraits to get a word in during the action. Definitely the finest member of the "short but sweet" category of games in 2019.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Apex Legends - This was the BR game that I finally had some fun in. Great map setup and smart features make this even for a single playing person a great team game.
  2. Trials Rising - Fusion was OK, but Rising is close to the level of Evolution. Great game
  3. No Man's Sky Beyond - Finally started playing this game after the last update and it is the amazing space game from the original promises.

Well, that's very few games played which were released in 2019... but Hollow Knight is great too!

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 – Combining the best parts of Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 4 and the original Resident Evil 2 make for what is my favorite game in one of my favorite franchises. This is one of those special remakes that fans always hope for and never get. It's new and yet still true to the original. The kind of game that builds on all the best aspects of the original but can still live alongside the original. This game doesn't replace the original because it is completely different but gives the right hint of nostalgia. This is what I want in a survival horror game. You are very vulnerable, but you are given the tools to be able to defend yourself too. It is not a run and hide horror game, but that option exists and in many instances is the better option than burning through all of your supplies. It is also one of the few games that makes zombies truly scary. The way they shamble toward you, making them hard to hit, or keep coming after you despite a lost limb or 3. The critical chance that you get from head shots are almost not worth it because of the difficulty in actually pulling off a head shot and the lost resources make it something you always have to consider. Go for the safe chest shot or hold down your own nerves and aim for the head.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – I love From Software games. The world building, the precise, perfectly tuned gameplay, the general structure of the map. Every aspect is beautiful. So it took me by surprise that I wasn't able to get into Sekiro immediately but it is such a different game from what I am used to from them. At the same time undeniable a From Software game and at the same time completely new. Dark Souls is like Basketball, rarely do you ever operate at 100% but just a nice consistent pace and taking advantage of weaknesses. Bloodborne is like football, bursts of all-out effort and aggression. Sekiro is like a ballet. It is a constant dance, roshambo with katanas. As athletic as Dark Souls and Football but much more finessed. The only reason this is not number 1 is because I prefer Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1/3 over Sekiro, just barely. And I couldn't justify putting not putting my favorite Resident Evil game above my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] favorite From Software game. As an aside, From Software is probably my favorite developer outside of Naughty Dog. The sheer quantity and quality they have produced over the last two generations is staggering.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – 5 hours into this game and I was loving the Star Wars story it was telling, BD-1 is probably the best droid since R2-D2 and the references that are worked into the story are tasteful and impactful. However, I hated the gameplay. Probably because I had just played Sekiro and the game seems to be a From Software clone and really doesn't do a good job of explaining to the player that it is not Souls game. Once I had this epiphany, I really started to enjoy the gameplay. After those first 5 hours this game was a pure joy. Wielding a lightsaber feels better than it ever has, the force powers are impactful yet reasonably powered unlike The Force Unleashed, and the exploration and puzzle solving elements adds much needed variety to the game. There are a few moments in this game, which I will not spoil, that are a Star Wars fan's dreams. This game could easily be the best game of the year except for the elephant in the room, it is buggy as hell. Never has pop in textures bothered me but woah is it crazy and constant in this game. I've seen so many different glitches with enemies and spawning that I can't mention all the different bugs here. Framerate and short game freezes happen pretty often, luckily I had only one game crash though. Technical issues are not normally something I talk about unless they really affect gameplay, I wouldn't say I had too many issues that affected gameplay here but I was constantly being pulled out of the world, constantly. All of this being said, it is still a special game.
  4. Death Stranding – In full disclosure I have not finished this game but what I have played is something completely unique for AAA games. Is it a AAA game? I am not sure, in many ways it feels like an indie game but it was definitely marketed like Metal Gear Solid or something. I love when games take risks and this game takes a ton of risks. The social/online aspects of the game are some of the most unique functions in a game that I have seen in a while, especially a AAA game.
  5. Wargroove – I didn't realize how much I missed this style of Advance Wars strategy games and since Nintendo continues to let me down in this aspect, Wargroove is a gift.
  6. Knights and Bikes – I see almost no one talking about this game but it is such a special gem of a game. The papercraft/children's Crayon drawing art style is so unique and eye catching. It reminds me of Tearaway, which makes sense, since former Media Molecule developers made this game. The characters are lovable, the story is cute and yet still has plenty of depth, and the gameplay is simple yet serviceable. It reminds me a lot of Costume Quest. From the top down view, cartoony art style, general layout of the levels/world, and the theme of a child's imagination. I prefer this game over Costume Quest because it is a little less repetitive and more varied though it still has one of the downsides of that game, the gameplay is just a touch too simple. If this game had added some RPG elements or went more action heavy and added some combos or something it would be perfect. The gameplay is good just simple. I still highly recommend this game though, it was easily one of the biggest surprises of last year.
  7. Concrete Genie – I love this game. The art style, the story, the characters, the themes, the painting mechanic, the genies, it all comes together to form a really special game. Honestly this game should be 4[SUP]th[/SUP] or 5[SUP]th[/SUP] on my list but I have kind of a bad taste in my mouth right now because the last trophy I need for a platinum is glitched. I'll have to play through the entire game again to make another attempt at the platinum which is really frustrating. This really is a small, petty complaint though, everyone should play this game. Gameplay is a mix of painting, puzzle solving, light platforming, exploration/collection, and some other mechanics towards the end of the game. The gameplay is simple but just deep enough to enjoy yourself during the 5-7-hour experience. The story is really special, dealing with unique themes like bullying, environmental conservation, and remembering where you came from.
  8. Outer Wilds – This was not going to be on my list when the day started. It wasn't going to be on my list one hour into the game. But I have been playing a good chunk of this game today and I am starting to unravel the mysteries of the universe and I am finally feeling less aimless and I can absolutely see why this game is special and if I had a little more time with it, it could easily work its way up the list.
  9. Untitled Goose Game – I played this game with my baby brother and he was in hysterics every time the Goose honked or trolled one of the many townsfolk. Rake in a lake was an especially hearty laugh. This is just good wholesome fun. What if you made Metal Gear Solid with a goose and upped the cute factor by a 1000? You get this game. It is great, everyone should play it.
  10. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy – I had never played any of these games, despite my unusual fascination with courtroom dramas in movies and television shows. This is the crazy anime, video game version of a courtroom drama but I love it. It is goofy and engaging. I'm glad they finally ported these to a system that I play because I have always wanted to try these games.

Honorable Mentions:

• Monster Hunter World: Iceborne – This was one of my most played games in both 2018 and 2019. The only reason it is not in my top 10 is because it was last year already and I wanted to give some other games a chance to shine but I still enjoy firing up a hunt with some friends and do so all the time.
  • Devil May Cry 5 – I just didn't play enough of this game but I enjoyed every second of what I did play, I need to get back to this one as soon as possible.
  • Blood & Truth – The best VR game I played last year (I didn't play many but this was a really fun experience).
  • Pokémon Sword – I haven't played one of these since Ruby but I see not much has changed in my absence (if anything it has only gotten easier and the Pokémon designs have gotten worse). It is a fine game but was never going to make my top 10. It was an enjoyable time but it also did nothing new.
  • Minecraft – I know this did not come out last year but I finally dug into this game and played over 70 hours and I loved it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - The quality of its writing, world-building and the game's atmosphere are absolutely phenomenal. It's one of the very few games where I wanted to take it slow and really process the world and the tensions at play therein before moving on through the critical path. The interplay between its role-playing systems, the development of your character's personality and how this all expressed itself in the way you interacted with the game's characters and world was also very engaging. Almost every choice in your character sheet felt actually meaningful. Just all-around a great achievement in game design.
  2. Dicey Dungeons - Super satisfying core loop that makes this game fun from the moment you start each new run.
  3. Slay the Spire - Incredibly fun and to jump in and out of, and it's very satisfying whether you win or lose.
  4. Kind Words (lo fi chill beats to write to) - This game will give you good vibes and hope in people.
  5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Fun and very wholesome. It's a simple game, but it does its thing very well.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Kojima's best game since MGS3
  2. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - RPG of the generation.
  3. Bloodstained Ritual Of the Night - IGA is back.
  4. Judgement - better than some Yakuza game.
  5. AI: The Somnium Files - good even with the jokes.
  6. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - yes this one.
  7. Final Fantasy VIII - solid remaster..

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
  1. Disco Elysium - In terms of actual 'role-playing', it's the best RPG I've ever played. I can't stop thinking about it.
  2. Death Stranding - I'm currently only halfway through it but I'm totally captivated. Kojima's got me.
  3. Control - Remedy's finest work, despite a somewhat weak ending.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - I didn't have a PS1 when I was younger so I've made an effort in recent years to play certain classics I missed the first time around. I played through Resident Evil 2 (1998) for the first time a couple of months before Resident Evil 2 (2019) came out. A really interesting way to experience the game's reinvention.
  5. Beat Saber - The perfect game to showcase VR and a beautiful return to a genre that's been scarce in recent years.
  6. Hypnospace Outlaw - Sometimes you don't know what you want until someone makes it. I did not know I wanted an alternate late '90s internet webring moderation game, but here we are.
  7. A Short Hike - The most surprising game of the year for me. BotW-style climbing, Animal Crossing-style art, Night in the Woods-style writing--I loved it for 5 delightful hours.
  8. Slay the Spire - I had zero interest in this game until my brother who has zero interest in rougelikes or deck builders told me that I totally had to play this rougelike deckbuilder because it's awesome and addicting. My brother was not lying.
  9. Baba is You - This is a game I will probably slowly play through until I die.
  10. Lonely Mountains Downhill - The best game I've discovered on GamePass so far. Biking in games is fun! What if it was just biking? Wonderful!
  11. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - When I started Sekiro, the only FromSoftware game I'd beaten was Bloodborne, which I adored. Sekiro defeated me. I didn't get very far. But over the rest of the year, I beat Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 for the first time so I feel better prepared to take down Sekiro in 2020.
  12. Gears 5 - I have always loved the Gears series and I really wanted to love this one. If I had played the multiplayer more this would probably be in my top 5. But as it stands I only completed the campaign and I hated the writing (same problem I had with 4) and I REALLY hated the abrupt ending with one of the worst 'decision moments' I've ever seen in a game.
  13. Untitled Goose Game - HONK
  14. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Really wonderful beautiful game. Worth mentioning.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Hypnospace Outlaw - Hypnospace Outlaw will stick with me due to its more intimate sub stories, how well it nails its aesthetic, and all the great fucking music in the game. I will be singing the praises of this game for years to come and finishing the game left me with a sense of melancholy because it was so unique and well crafted. There are barely any games like this and even future games won't evoke the same emotions I had at the time playing this. It's like playing Demon/Dark Souls for the first time, there are other games in the series (or follow the formula) but they don't quite invoke the magical first time of playing through them. Even if you didn't grow up during this time you'd still appreciate what it does just because of how lovingly crafted and coherent it is; if you did grow up during this time you should be playing it immediately though haha.
  2. Slay the Spire - The best roguelite in years. Will be copied for years to come. I dumped 100s of hours into it and plan to do more
  3. Apex Legends - Pretty much perfected many of the mechanics in BR. So much so that most of its ideas were immediately copied. Truly a standout game in the genre
  4. Borderlands 3 - Borderlands 2 perfected. The looter shooter genre has a lot to learn from this game. Has some of the best shooting in gaming and im looking forward to all its updates.
  5. Disco Elysium - A standout for writing in gaming. Showing how far you can push games with just text.
  6. Monster Hunter: Iceborne - One of the best games of 2018 got even better with this
    It's hard to complain about anything in the game now with this expansion.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This game had everything. Good story, an amazing cast, and a killer ost. The amount of flexibility as a teacher, being able to mold my student into the kind of fighters I wanted was a ton of fun. I love all of the personaish social elements. I also think the games English dub was masterfully done, and appreciate that the game is fully voiced. I'm looking forward to starting my second playthough with the dlc soon, and of course Byleth in Smash soon.
  2. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Very strong writing, my favorite story from a 2019 game. The combat had a surprising amount of depth. Excellent art direction and music as well. Anyone that likes Grasshopper/Suda games owes it to themself to play it.
  3. Dragon Quest XI S : Echoes of an Elusive Age - So glad that we finally got this game on Switch. It's giving me some actual challenge with the draconic restrictions, so it is much appreciated. The game looks gorgeous on the system as well. It's the perfect turn based JRPG.
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - A significant leap from the Wii U game, I really love all the new themes.
  5. Astral Chain - It's the cyberpunk anime JoJo game i never knew I wanted.
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield - The Pokemon series has been getting better with each entry, and Sword did not disappoint. The wild area with all of its raids became pretty addictive. The new Pokemon have extremely strong designs.
  7. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - My first Tales game and I got really into it. Combat took a minute to get the hang of, but the game is gorgeous and it has an excellent cast.
  8. Mortal Kombat 11 - I put way more time into MK11 than I thought I would. Story mode was a lot of fun and the amount of content in it is staggering.
  9. Yokai Watch 3 - A culmination of everything from the series so far. The duel protagonist setup was really cool, and the improvements to combat are very welcome. A very funny game with a strong localization. Also the X-Files stuff is hilarious.
  10. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - A fun button masher, I hadn't played any of the old ones, but found this game very engaging.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - So many things to love about the game such as the art direction, difficulty, combat, bosses, world design, and story. I need to finish Bloodborne but this is my favorite FROM game in that everything clicked for me.
2. Resident Evil 2 - Mr. X repeatedly gave it to me. Amazing remake that was a blast to play from start to finish.
3. Control - Remedy are a master of their craft and while Control isn't as strong as Alan Wake nor as narratively good as Quantum Break, it's still fun as hell to play.
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I've been desparate for a good Star Wars game and this scratched that itch. I wish the combat was more fleshed out but it was good enough.
5. Astral Chain - The JoJo police adventure I didn't even know I wanted.
6. Devil May Cry V - Loads of fun to play but I wish the story was more cohesive.
7. Death Stranding - Lots of great ideas that feel underbaked in certain areas but definitely memorable.
8. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - Been waiting for this since the 360 generation and that they never ported over the PS3 version.
9. Apex Legends - Felt like I was playing COD4 for the first time. Too bad the updates couldn't keep up with the players.

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - DMC 5 was everything I wanted it to be. While not a perfect experience, it excels where an action game should - it's action! Some of the best bosses in the series as well as hypest moments, DMC 5
  2. Disco Elysium - I, Superstar Cop extraordinaire do declare this game incredibly disco. The writing is insightful, witty, humorous, emotional all at once, and the skill personality aspects really elevate the game from well written to uniquely expressive. The moniker of "Planescape without the combat" isn't that far off, despite a few shortcomings in narrative railroading at times.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I almost forgot that I liked Resident Evil as a series. RE 2 reminded not only that I did, but why I did. A fantastic remake that keeps the core experience of the original intact while improving and updating systems, I think that RE 2 remake is the definitive way to play RE 2. My only disappointment was that it's second run routes weren't like the original's A and B routes.
  4. Judgment - A Yakuza game is always in my personal top 10, and Judgment is that Yakuza game of 2019. A few under-the-hood engine improvements, as well as new gameplay to diversify the main story.
  5. Amid Evil - I've never played Heretic or Hexen. So my expectations were moderate. But Amid Evil became one of my favourite games of the year almost as soon as I started playing it. Between the music, enemy variety, weapons, level design... it nails almost every core aspect of a retro FPS.
  6. Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition - A great game made better. I'm not much of a RTS player, so all the UI improvements (villager count, resource worker breakdown) and a bunch of other accessibility changes really make the game so much more streamlined and fun to play.
  7. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - A bit of a cheeky vote, when only Reach is on PC. Shortcomings aside, I really enjoyed playing Halo again and am looking forward to further releases.
  8. Rage 2 - Excellent gunplay, less excellent open world design.
  9. Death Stranding - I haven't quite finished it yet, but as one of those "experience" games I really dig it. More than a movie, less than a full-on video game, DS rides the line to make something different,
  10. Ion Fury - Did you like Duke3d? Do you want it, but better? Ion Fury didn't blow me away unfortunately, but it does so much with so little that I was constantly surprised by what the Devs were able to wrangle out of the engine.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was a bit tough for GOTY lists. Lots of good, even great games, but only a few truly stunning games. So my #1 is easy, but the rest is kinda quick & dirty with stuff that comes to my mind. I still didn't play games like Borderlands 3, Disco Elysium, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Judgment and Control which all look stunning but I just didn't found the time.

1. Death Stranding - Brilliantly weird journey with a great story, characters and technology. I had my doubts about this game but it's probably my second favourite game of the whole generation
  2. Anno 1800 - Back to the roots. Beautiful, complex and relaxing building game
  3. Days Gone - Great open-world zombie game with lots of action. I actually liked that it leans more towards third-person-shooters than survival. Also liked the story and characters a lot.
  4. Astral Chain - Another fantastic Platinum game with a cool setting and stellar battle system.
  5. Blood & Truth - A playable action-movie in VR. Virtual shooting never felt soo good.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - Sadly the story is trash and the level design is really lazy without any optical variation. But the core gameplay is as good as ever and the cutscenes are so over the top.
  7. Pistol Whip - Beat Saber with guns, do you need to know more?
  8. The Division 2 - There is more exciting loot than kneepads and backpacks, but this the shooting aspect of the game is very well made and just fun. It can get really intense when the music kicks in.
  9. Asgard's Wrath - Only played a few hours of this but it already feels very special. Can't wait to go on with it.
  10. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Great Metroidvania.
  11. Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition - Rekindled my love for this series. I am going to finish all the campaigns whenever I have access to Gamepass.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I love FE but honestly, this one didn't capture my attention much in the trailers like the past few games so I kinda went into it with a bit "ehh" feeling. The character designs weren't doing it for me, I didn't like that you couldn't customize your main, the world seems kind bland....little that I knew that it was legit the best FE I've ever played! Just playing it for a few hours, everything I had negative about it kinda wore off as it quickly grew better and better with each hour with all the QoL touches the FE team made on the battle system and such. Despite not thinking much about the characters, about every character grew tenfold in their background stories that made me want to know more about them despite my first impressions on them. To say that some characters caught me off guard was an understatement since this game's story was pretty darn great! Sure I have a few nitpicks on the game but I have many more praises for it and all in all, FE: Three Houses took me by complete surprise and is my definite GotY. Oh yeah....that OST is amazing!
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I don't play Souls games much but man was this game frustratingly fun. The bosses kicked my ass and while I got beaten many times, overcoming them felt rewarding like no other.
  3. Astral Chain - A game that came out of nowhere that was shown and released in the same year! Anime as all hell, the fighting system is slower than DMC, Ninja Gaiden or Bayo but man does it make you feel like you're playing a freakin' Jojo Cop game. The pacing throws you a bit off since gameplay is split between investigations and then action parts but still, it's packed full of charm and hopefully, they can improve it if they ever make a sequel. A must get on Switch for fans of action games!
  4. Judgment - Yakuza's cousin that's equally as good and crazy! I don't have to say much since it's made by the Yakuza team.....basically, everything they make is quality and this is no exception.
  5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - It's nice to finally have Pokemon on console and for their first effort, it's pretty decent despite a lot of negative stuff about it. Sure I don't like everything about it but still, that doesn't mean that it's super fun and the QoL stuff they did for the game adds a lot! The characters are more vibrant than before and honestly, I'm not sure if I can go back to how Gyms are in the old games since the ones in this were actually fun and provided something different(well Sun/Moon had trials but it's something else). The Wild Area concept is pretty fun and I hope they can add it into newer Gens since it has a lot of potential to be better. Also being to change PC Pokemon on the field is a godsend! Definitely a good step in the right direction but they seriously need to stop removing great features from old gens to put in new features to not have it again in the next gen and repeat!
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - Hands down the best character action game ever! The combat is literally insane and all the characters were fun to play as!
  7. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid - A Super underrated fighting game that actually took my time than the more well-known fighters that came out this year! Honestly was a surprise at how well this game feels since it's by a very small developer with no fighting game history besides a few VS series Pros that helped make the game! Please don't skip it because of its Power Ranger brand, if there's a substitute Mahvel game that people are overlooking, it's this!
  8. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission Hero Edition - Ewww, what's this low budget anime game doing here? So what? I've never played any of the past Super Dragon Ball Hero games but I'ma be honest, this is legit one of the funnest games I've played last year and I spent a shit ton of hours playing this. Basically a Dragon Ball card game that has EVERYONE from the series and is waaaaaay more fun than it has any right to be. With fan service through the ass and back, I think any DB fan missing out on it because of its low budget/being a 3DS game definitely needs to check it out since it's a great time waster. Definitely a left turn of a game but I'm not gonna deny how fun I had with this dumb little game.
  9. Tetris 99 - Out of nowhere, a puzzle BR game arises and it's no other than Tetris! Addictive and matches go quick! I've still never gotten to a number 1 finish but even still, the game is a great time waster and shows that no matter how old Tetris is, the gameplay reigns supreme....but now in BR!
  10. Samurai Shodown - A fantastic return to glory! A great slow fighter that feels like it came from the 90s with its high risk, high reward gameplay! I think this would be higher if it weren't for the pretty bad online. Fighters in this day and age NEEDS good online and can either break it or make it thrive.....even Power Rangers just one spot above has great online despite its small developers! Despite the fact, the game is still amazing and deserves play!
Pardon for any bad grammar! Typing in a rush!

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Btw, could a mod help me out? Post 1241, somehow its not working, did I do something wrong?

Edit: thanks!

Last edited:

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
  1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 - It was tough deciding between this game and Fire Emblem as my GOTY. Both games are part of my holy JRPG trinity (Fire Emblem, Legend of Heroes, SMT) but I realized something. Cold Steel 3 was so damn good, it got me to actually make a LTTP thread about it! No one read it of course but this game left such an impact on me, I just had to share my thoughts and emotions over how amazing this game was to me after completing it. This is the best entry in the Cold Steel series hands down even knowing that there's a Cold Steel 4 in existence which means that this game can't really provide much closure and answers to questions this series has brought up since CS1. But the journey you experience with an older Rean and New Class VII is simply astounding from beginning to end. With a smaller cast of new characters, the game doesn't suffer from giving everyone enough screentime like with CS1. Both the quality and quantity of character development this game gives to New Class VII is fantastic. And thanks to CS2, you already know most of the major characters and villains for this story arc. This game makes being invested into this series' story and characters for all these years very rewarding. From the callbacks and tie-ins to previous games to major events in CS3 that hint at potential returns of prominent characters and locations happening in CS4, anyone engrossed in the world of Zemuria had their jaws dropped to the floor multiple times throughout the events of this game. Rean now being older is a great addition to this story, bringing complexity to his character with his role as hero, being a first-year teacher, and being more assertive in finding the answers he and old Class VII have been seeking since the events of CS1 and CS2. This was the game that I saved for Winter Break and it did not disappoint. Ever since becoming a Trails fan a few years ago, I have come to love Falcom's brand of character development and world building in the Trails series. Cold Steel 3 is no exception and has earned my vote for GOTY 2019. Let's just hope the wait for CS4 won't be as painfully long as it was for this excellent RPG to be localized.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I'm a big Fire Emblem fan to the point that it is the Nintendo franchise that gets me to buy Nintendo hardware. Not Mario, not Smash, not Zelda, Fire Emblem. When Nintendo revealed that they were working on a new Fire Emblem on Switch in a mini-direct three years ago with just a title logo so plain that it might as well been in Times New Roman, I immediately opened a second tab and started shopping for a Switch. I played this game like a maniac. It thankfully came out during the Summer. Any other season, I would have probably struggled to balance my work with it. This is the epitome of what the series wanted to achieve ever since Awakening. This is a Fire Emblem game with a story more complex than its predecessors without it being dull or nonsense. It's a Fire Emblem that brings a lot of focus onto its units' relationships and backstories without it being plain or cringey. This is the first Fire Emblem that I came to recognize my units more by their stories and personalities versus their looks and their stats. And my god, the soundtrack! Synths and EDM in MY FIRE EMBLEM??! And it sounds phenomenal!!?? Say it ain't so! This game has all of this while maintaining the addicting, fast paced turn-based combat I have come to love from this series more than 15 years ago. The biggest issue is arguably the newest addition they added to this entry, traversing around the hub outside of battle. This aspect of the game is very tedious as you get deeper into the game. If this series plans to continue this idea, I hope that Intelligent Systems (or should I say Koei?) improve on that while maintaining the strong character writing and world building that they have shown with this latest entry.

3. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - After waiting a couple years for the original PS4/PC version to be on sale, this game came out on Switch with new content and QoL changes. I took the gamble and bought it even though I had a history of not getting into the series (I tried playing VIII so many times….). Once I got the full cast, I really started enjoying this game. The game after Part 1 is fantastic from the areas you visit to the battles that you're pitted up against. It's the biggest reason why it's so high up my list. Even with the visual downgrade from the PS4/PC version, the artstyle of the world and characters shines through on the Switch. This is the best Toriyama's artstyle has ever looked in 3D by a huge mile. It took more than 15 years but I'm finally a fan of this series and I can't wait to see what the next entry will be like!

4. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - I got my 360 very late last generation so although I loved Tales of Symphonia way back on the Gamecube, I was waiting for a PS3 release of Vesperia that never came to the west. More than a decade later, I finally get to play that many say is one of the best Tales games period. The battle system is a nice throwback, being close to what I remember of Symphonia's instead of Berseria's. The biggest draw is the main character, Yuri. Unlike other young RPG protagonists, he's a little older, more mature, and has already a set of ideals that he follows in his life through the experiences he has before the events of the game. His actions and behavior towards other and the events throughout the story brings a breath of fresh air into this genre. The ending is disappointing but the journey was a fun ride and I don't regret spending so many hours completing it.

5. Baba is You - One of the most creative and inventive puzzle games I have played in a long time. It brings back memories of the logic and problem solving that I did for my classes back in college. I play it in bite size pieces, doing a couple of puzzles here and there before switching to another game or activity. Since its main puzzle mechanic is so unique, it really brings enjoyment and a huge sense of accomplishment whenever I completed a level.

6. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Definitely one of the most unique games I played this year. The visuals and choreography are trippy in a fun and mesmerizing way. The soundtrack is a nice mix of pop and EDM that is in perfect sync of all the crazy things you see on the screen as the game asks you to drive motorcycles, grind on rails, fly, and fight masked villains all on 2 to 5-minute levels. The levels aren't too long and it doesn't overstay its welcome unlike some other music-based games do. Definitely one of the biggest surprises of the year for me.

7. Devil May Cry 5 - Years ago ever since I started typing out my Top 10 lists, I talked about I had trouble getting into Japanese character action games. The threads on forums were always God of War vs Devil May Cry/Bayonetta. I have always enjoyed God of War games even before the reboot and could finish them from beginning to end. Devil May Cry was another story. I always gave up or lost interest after a few missions in the older games. On top of that, I really didn't like Bayonetta 1. It finally clicked when I gave Bayonetta 2 a chance way back on the Wii U and proceeded to give it my GOTY 2014 vote. Since then, I was ready for the next big action game from one of these two franchises. Well it took five years of waiting but it was worth it. The combat and controls felt perfect and the big visual upgrade from the previous game is a nice cherry on top. My only issue is that the new character isn't as fun to play as compared to the other two. His playstyle got me to just hang out in a corner and button mash while I felt the other two characters encouraged fighting more up close and having to dodge and counter when necessary.

8. Katana Zero - This is the first Devolver Digital title that I really enjoyed. Every sequence is a puzzle disguised as a fast pace, heart thumping, battle of jumping, dodging, hiding, and slicing against multiple enemies and traps. When you complete a sequence, you get to sit back with a glass of wine as the game replays your victory "Superhot" style as the game's killer EDM soundtrack loops in the background. The music was such fire that I bought the soundtrack before I even finished the game!

9. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - Just when I thought I can finally retire my 3DS, this game came out over the summer. I loved the full customization of the party with picking any five members of the cast combined with creating, fusing, and swapping sub-personas. As a fan of the series, it was always great seeing the characters from different games interacting with other through events beyond the main story like the sidequests to them hanging out at the hub eating popcorn and chasing each other around after exiting from a dungeon. Even with all this fanservice, this spinoff was still able to inject the classic themes of individuality and conformity into its main story that should be familiar to those that play the series. If you're a fan of the Persona games, you probably already played this and I'm just preaching to the choir here but to those with any slight interest in trying this out or are fans of Etrian Odyssey but find those games a bit too hard, consider buying this at the next eShop sale.

10. Picross S3 - The first Picross game that came out on Switch a couple years ago was the one that introduced me to nonograms. Since then, this series became a yearly purchase, convinced me to dust off the old 3DS to buy Picross 3D, and got me to introduce nonograms to my students to try outside of the usual Sudoku puzzles. As long as Jupiter continues to pump these out with chill beats to listen to, this series will always be a welcome on my Top 10.

Let 2019 be the year I played a shocking amount of jrpgs lol

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
Last minute vote

1. Sega Ages Outrun - Is the first time I've properly given a chance to this game and it has quickly become one of my favorite games. It's simply a joy to play. I can spend hours at a time trying to improve my scores.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - An engaging SciFi thriller. There were some compelling characters and some touching storylines. I could have done without the ridiculous action scenes though.
  3. Sega Ages Ichidant-R - This hidden gem is pretty much the father of Warioware Inc. A blast to play on coop.
There were many other interesting games released this year I haven't had the chance to play yet (Astral Chain, Dragon Quest XIIS, Luigi's Mansion are some).

Also I'm still playing through the new Fire Emblem, but so far I'm not a fan of the changes in the mechanics and the badly done calendar system, so I'm not listing it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Forgot to do this until now. Probably cause I didn't play too many different games this year. 2020, however...
  1. Baba is You - Don't think a puzzler has ever made me feel like more of an idiot...or more of a genius. An incredible ride that forces you to seriously rewire crucial parts of your brain.
  2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - A big improvement on what was already surprisingly solid foundation, DQH2 is a delight that gives Minecraft both a point and a truckload of charm.
  3. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - Just for that corner turn reveal alone. Well, and also because it's still an amazingly addictive shooter that continues to devour my free time.
  4. No Man's Sky Beyond - The most incredible update yet to game packed full with them, and one of the quintessential VR experiences in gaming.
  5. Days Gone - A pleasant surprise of a game with stellar post-launch support. Plus it looks incredible to boot.
  6. Ring Fit Adventure - I look forward to exercising now. Also low-key one of the best art styles I've seen in a game this year.
  7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - It finally came out and it's actually quite good! A lovely throwback to games like Symphony of the Night.
  8. Super Mario Maker 2 - A showcase of creativity of all stripes, SMM2 isn't about to let the well of Mario levels run dry. Multiplayer is a lovely addition too...when it works.
  9. Tetris 99 - The latest in a string of incredible Tetris incarnations, and honestly one of the best battle royales ever. Addicting and maddening.
  10. Civilization 6: Gathering Storm - Rounding out the list is a legitimately great expansion that kept my Civ 6 playtime high.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A return to form for the series after the uneven quality of the 3DS games. While it isn't perfect by any means, the story and characters are about as strong as they've ever been, building up my units and choosing what direction they'll go in has been enjoyable, and the turn-based tactical gameplay is fun as always.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - The story was completely engrossing right from the start.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - Got to this position based entirely on its multiplayer. Have had a ton of fun playing it both with randoms and with friends, and not knowing what kind of level you're going to get next helps the game continue to feel fresh even after 6 months.
  4. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Another game that I greatly enjoyed this year mainly for its story. Am chomping at the bit for CS4 after that cliffhanger!
  5. Borderlands 3 - The quests are engaging, and figuring out a path for your character and taking advantage of their special abilities is always enjoyable. I find Borderlands does a better job of making each character feel unique than most other loot-based shooters.
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Had lots of fun going through this one in co-op. More enjoyable than Dark Moon for sure.
  7. Pokemon Sword/Shield - I was one of the people who was disappointed by the Dex cuts, but I ultimately went ahead and got the game anyway. While the game has some issues I enjoyed going around the Wild Area. The raid battles are fun too, though they do get old after a while.
  8. Wargroove - While this game doesn't quite fill the Advance Wars-shaped hole in my heart, it is still an enjoyable game.
  9. Apex Legends - Probably my favorite battle-royale game at the moment. I don't play it as much now as I did when it came out, but I still go back to it from time to time.
  10. Gears 5 - Only played the campaign. The open-world stuff was pretty fun.

Temujin

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
  1. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Like SoulCalibur VI last year, this feels like a return to the PS2 greatness. I'm still amazed this game came out the way it did - the single player campaign is immensely old-fashioned: no tacked-on rpg elements, online integration or microtransactions, just the story and the missions, period. But like the PS2 games, some missions can feel a bit too long, with others having uneven difficulty - I really wish they were more generous with checkpoints, but I guess that's part of the old school charm. Also, I actually enjoyed the online modes, although I guess that's mostly because I made a great set-up and came first or second almost every match.
  2. Death Stranding - I honestly admit I'm not a big Kojima fan - maybe even the opposite, since about the only game of him I truly consider a masterpiece is the first Metal Gear Solid. However, I was curious about this game, especially with the involvement of one of my favourite actors (Mads Mikkelsen). On the whole, I really enjoyed this game, even though the gameplay is repetitive and doesn't change much throughout the game. I had to take a break of a few days mid-game, but I feel like the last couple of chapters are the best the game has to offer. I've been thinking about the game a fair bit after finishing it.
  3. Control - a late entry on my list, I only finished this a week or two ago. I love the lore in this, the brutalist architecture, and general weirdness. And the Alan Wake references of course. Too bad about the technical issues, I probably would have enjoyed it even more if I played it on a good PC instead of Xbox One S.
  4. Samurai Shodown - The Samurai Shodown franchise is pretty much my favourite fighting game series, so I was naturally excited to play this. It really didn't disappoint. In many ways it feels like a celebration of all the previous games, from SamSho 2 to the more obscure SamSho64 games. Too bad the online isn't great. The DLC characters are a nice bonus, Rimururu and Shizumaru are great.
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - My favourite FE since Awakening. The monastery stuff gets repetitive after a while, but I love everything else. I went with the Blue Lions route for my first playthrough, but I'll definitely go back to do the Black Eagles route.
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night- Back when this was announced with a kickstarter, I was in two minds about supporting it. I love Igavanias, but the initial art and concepts didn't look very good to me, and I got burned by kickstarter projects that turned out to be bad investments. And now, many years later, the game finally came out, and I was still on the fence, and thought "meh, I'll wait for a price drop". At some point the game came out on Xbox Game Pass, so I finally jumped in. Well, I'm really happy I played it, even though I had a rough start (the game crashed 3 times in the first hour or so). It's classic Igavania, and that's all I wanted from it.
  7. Sayonara Wild Hearts - the shortest game on my list, but also one of the most surprising, positive and uplifting one. I wish some stages were longer - I really enjoyed the Outrun drifting and Rez-shooting. I wrote a one-sentence review on Steam for this, and since it got so many "helpful" ratings, I'll share it here as well: "it's a one-hour celebration of love, life, music and videogames".
  8. Astral Chain - As a casual PlatinumGames fan, I had to play this. It's a good game and I enjoyed the combat a lot, but I thought the Astral Plane stuff was pretty boring. Other than that, I have no complaints. Love Lappy!
  9. Tropico 6 - I was a bit disappointed with Tropico 5, I dropped it pretty quickly after it came out, but I liked this entry much better. It's not a huge upgrade in terms of gameplay - in fact, I find it somehow more difficult than previous entries for some reason - but I like that the story missions are standalone rather than a big overarching story.
  10. Untitled Goose Game - ....do I really have to do it? Okay okay. "HONK".
  11. Gears 5 - Good single player campaign, but I barely played multiplayer and moved on from it rather quickly.
  12. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Enjoyed it, but not enough to make my top 10 list.
  13. Blazing Chrome - Unexpectedly good Contra homage. Thanks Xbox Game Pass!
  14. Mortal Kombat 11 - I enjoyed the story mode, but overall this is my least favourite of the recent 3. Did not like any of the new characters either.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Best combat system I have experienced in a loooong time. A complete package that everyone should play, even if they are not fans of FromSoftware games.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - This game does really well all the necessary things. Great world building, the dread of what awaits you behind the next corner, great mechanics and puzzles. Also has one of the best ingame maps I saw in a long time. And the lighting of corridors is next level.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - The writing, the persona-like systems and the voice acting elevate a typical Fire Emblem experience to a really great game. Did not expect to form such bonds with my Golden Deer friends.
  4. Slay The Spire - The graphic design and quality is... dubious. But the game is absolutely amazing and everyone that skipped this game because of how it looks should instantly go and play it.
  5. Tetris 99 - I did not expect that this would work so well.
  6. Control - Amazing direction thwarthed only by awful performance on base PS4 and the combat that sometimes became overly frustrating.
  7. Cadence of Hyrule - More Crypt of the Necrodancer but in the world of Hyrule? Sign me up.
  8. Disco Elysium - Some parts of this game were just awful but the writing and the complex systems behind the dialogue system are plain revolutionary.
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Impressed how demanding it was in some places (I expected a really easy game that a three year old can beat with his eyes closed).
  10. Death Stranding - This game has a lot of problems but the peace and meditation that it gave in some of its parts was amazing. And the satisfaction of building the world infrastructure together with other players around chapter 5/6 was spectacular.

Voras

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Sekiro has some of the best combat of any game I've ever played. The world is beautiful. The story uses a light touch and is very effective.
  2. Disco Elysium - A breath of fresh air, fantastic writing and creative new mechanics.
  3. Outer Wilds - A game about exploration and persistence in the face of the wonders and dangers of space.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - A fantastic recreation of a classic that manages to be even more exciting and tense than the original. It managed to surpass the original Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 7 to become my favorite Resident Evil.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - The first Star Wars game to really nail lightsaber combat, the force powers are fun to use and the progression is solid. It takes a lot of mechanics and ideas from other games and blends them together in a really effective way.
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A massive game full of lovable characters. It's probably the game that I've spent the most time with this year.
  7. Control - Weird in all the right ways, compelling writing that had me searching out every last bit of it. It also used its live action videos well.
  8. Sayonara Wild Hearts - On my Spotify year end report the soundtrack for the game was listed as my #2 most listened to album. A perfect fusion of visuals, music and game play. I still find myself humming some of the songs months after finishing the game.
  9. Kingdom Hearts III - A fantastic end to a very long running story that stumbles at points but ultimately lands on the big emotional moments.
  10. A Short Hike - A charming game with a great visual style.

sekiro-ntjfjs9.png

discoelysium-ntn7jjd.png

outerwilds-nt-23bkxk.png

residentevil2-ntimjns.png

jedifallenorder-nt5qj01.png

threehouse-nttxj76.png
control-ntpujgd.png

sayonarawildhearts-nt8ujm3.png
kingdomhearts3-2-nt3ujnx.png

ashorthike-ntaskij.png

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm cutting it rather too close with my entry for this year! There's still plenty from 2019 that I still need to get to, but I'm fairly happy with these as a ranking covering what I've been able to play.
  1. Control - Well-realised combat that conveys a real sense of power, alongside an excellent control scheme that ensures that a diverse set of supernatural powers are always right at your fingertips. Where the game really excels, though, is in the superbly well-crafted setting - the "Oldest House" that the game tasks you to explore holds some fascinating secrets, while an extensive range of collectibles - including text documents, images, voice recordings and videos - flesh out the background lore that sits behind the engrossing story.

2. Outer Wilds - While I'm still working my way through the game, it's already clear that this is a simply stunning exploration game, with a superbly crafted mystery threaded throughout the solar system that allows a completely free-form approach.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - It's a Zelda game, which pretty much by itself guarantees a spot on my list, but it was really great to have a good excuse to replay this gem of a game. Link's Awakening was my first 'proper' Zelda, but despite that, it's amazing what a difference some of the quality of life changes make to a game that I was already very fond of. The remake retain's the 'cozy' atmosphere that the smaller scope of the game engenders, further enhanced by the toy-like graphical style, while the world design, puzzles and overall gameplay are as enjoyable as ever.

The improved functionality of modern controllers does away with most of the time-consuming menu and item management required by the original's two-button controls and the extra map warp points are another much-appreciated addition. Musically, the game also excels - Tal-Tal Heights and the final Staff Roll remain two of my favourite pieces of Zelda music and the orchestral recreations here do them proud. Despite a couple of technical shortcomings, this really feels like the 'definitive' way of experiencing the game.

4. Supraland - This was a wonderful surprise. Supraland blends gameplay elements from classic franchises including Super Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Minecraft and Portal, presenting players with a 3D open world to explore, solving puzzles from a first-person perspective to progress, collecting new equipment and upgrades to expand your means of interactivity, with a smattering of simplistic combat to break up the puzzles. Rarely are the puzzles too obscure to solve, judged just right for satisfaction, but there's good support from the forum community with tips for those who occasionally find themselves getting stuck.

Graphics are fairly simple (the player and NPCs are all stylised stick-people, for example), but more in a charming way rather than being a negative, and fit quite nicely with the game's theme of taking place in a miniaturised world, with everyday objects such as scissors, erasers and chairs being obstacles to navigate. Very impressively, Supraland was developed pretty much just by a single person, who now continues to interact actively with the community in the Steam forums and on Discord, with responsive updates/patches to the game to improve the experience - and who plans now for a sequel, which I very much look forward to!

5. Sayonara Wild Hearts - An extremely stylish rhythm game, with a stunning electronic pop soundtrack. The level design and variety is excellent throughout, always perfectly complementing the soundtrack for each stage, with an electrifying sense of speed for the faster stages. Behind the gameplay and music is an uplifting story of recovery from heartbreak, which is a nice touch though not at all necessary for enjoyment of the game. While a short experience for a single playthrough (around an hour), chasing high scores ( I gather that there's a higher ranking even than gold) and achievements brings some longevity, quite aside from just enjoying the music.

6. Cadence of Hyrule – Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda - Well, it's another Zelda game, so as per my rule above it gets a spot on my list :p Cadence of Hyrule doesn't have the same punishing difficulty as the original NecroDancer, and the rhythm-based movement/combat mechanic actually works really nicely in a Zelda setting.

Now, if taken just as a Zelda game, this probably would be towards the lower end of my ranking of the series (procedurally built dungeons are always going to struggle the hand-crafted offerings of traditional Zelda games), but the whole experience is elevated dramatically by the absolutely *fantastic* take on Zelda's already iconic soundtrack, with very catchy and diverse remixes/combinations of many classic pieces. Having completed the game once through, I don't feel an immediate compulsion to replay it, but there's excellent support for those who do, with a number of different characters available, a perma-death mode and daily challenge runs.

7. Katana ZERO - With the player taking control of a katana-wielding ninja across a series of missions each tasking you - at least initially - to kill a specific, well-guarded target, Katana ZERO feels much like an exceptionally well-presented 2D side-scrolling take on the fast-paced action of Hotline Miami, aided by a time-slowing ability and instant restarts in the case of failure (styled as the protagonist perfectly planning out each scenario and discarding any approaches that "won't work"). Controls are fluid and very responsive throughout, with any failure always feeling fair, alongside a number of available approaches to many encounters in achieving an extremely satisfying experience. There's a fantastic plot driving this all forward, which actually can vary in how it develops in both subtle and significant ways, though you won't realise this unless you replay the game - or of course, read up about the alternatives - and it's just a shame that it's all over quite quickly, quite feasibly within around 5-6 hours for a single playthrough.

8. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Areally fun and charming game, very much doing justice to the series on Switch. While for the most part fairly low in difficulty, the puzzle design is imaginative and there's an incredibly impressive level of detail and variety throughout the 'mansion' (this time, a hotel) - each of the 15+ floors has its own theme, from the relatively mundane (guest rooms, shops and dining areas) through to a movie studio, a pirate ship (complete with ocean!) and Egyptian-style tomb. Additional longevity comes from searching for sets of gems (often requiring further puzzle-solving) and hidden Boos, and there's even a decent multi-player mode.

9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I'm a Kickstarter backer and so was coming to the game with fairly high expectations; an initial disappointment with the myriad and ongoing technical issues that the Switch version had resulted in me - somewhat begrudgingly - picking up a PS4 copy as well, but from there out I was thoroughly impressed. Bloodstained faithfully captures the feel of the Iga-vania games (of which I still need to play more!), tight controls and techniques, challenging boss encounters and a fantastically well-designed world/castle to explore.

Exploration is satisfying throughout and rewarding, with secrets to discover around every corner and there's a well-developed item/skill/crafting system to exploit. Grinding/leveling is there for those who want it, with all 'shards' (Bloodstained's skill system) being able to level up in two areas as well as the core experience system and the game is driven on by a fittingly dark but coherent story. Despite the recent glut of new releases in the 'Metroidvania' genre, Bloodstained still manages to stand out, probably being the best recent attempt to follow the pure Castlevania model (though of course, Hollow Knight is still superior for the genre as a whole!).

10. Baba is You - Simple astounding puzzle design, with a truly unique core mechanic.

Honourable mentions, in alphabetical order:
  • A Short Hike
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Tangle Tower
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Timespinner
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
  1. Death Stranding: Didn't really know what I was getting into even when I started playing the game, but it turned out to be something special that had me hooked throughout.
  2. Astral Chain
  3. Resident Evil 2
  4. Devil May Cry 5
  5. Judgment
  6. Gears 5
  7. Days Gone
  8. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition
  9. Life is Strange 2
  10. Anthem

TalkingToast

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - Probably the best RPG I've ever played. I really love what they've done with the skill system and the thought cabinet in the game. When I'm thinking about leveling up I'm not just thinking about what skill would be the most useful but also what voice in my head I want to have more of a voice. This is why skills like Physical instrument and authority initially seemed very useful, but once I got a sense for the tone of their voices I decided that they didn't really fit with the guy I was roleplaying. So, so many little details come up in dialogue. I am constantly shocked at how many little things I've done throughout the game, often thoughtlessly that are brought up in clever and interesting ways later on.
  2. Outer Wilds - I feel like this game nailed exploration in a way very few other games have managed. There were multiple points in the game where real world logic as opposed to video game logic helped me progress further or find interesting secrets. It was so cool being put in such a detailed small open world with no real direction, just having your little ship. I love the soundtrack and vibe of the game as well.
  3. Slay the Spire - One of the best roguelikes ever and my favourite card battling game. The way you start with such a small deck and build it up as you play each time is satisfying and helps me not get overwhelmed by all the cards because you're only ever choosing between a couple at a time. I feel like I could play this thing forever.
  4. World of Warcraft Classic - I played Vanilla WoW for almost all of it's original life span, but I was like 11 or something when it first came out so I barely understood any of the systems in the game. It was just fun to hang out and explore. It's so cool to go back and play the same class I mained in vanilla (warrior) and ACTUALLY understand why ppl like Mortal Strike so much. Prioritizing attack dmg over DPS bcs Mortal Strike is instant. Back in the day my internet was so bad I thought Heroic Strike was instant. I was just as addicted, if not even more to Classic for a couple months there. Really great game.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The combat system in this one really clicked with me. It took playing Jedi: Fallen Order to realize just how great this game felt, I didn't appreciate it enough going through it. Such a fun game, it was great spending like 2 full days trying to beat Madame Butterfly waaaay too early and then Guardian Ape just at all.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - The best remake I've ever played. Feels like a modern game, made me understand the resource management based survival horror. Would love to see more games given this remake treatment, with the same faithfulness to the feel of the original, while also being willing to really change stuff up if it needs it. The sewers prob could've used some fixing.
  7. Control - Really cool world, love the feel of the powers, a Remedy game hasn't hit me this way since Max Payne 2.
  8. The Outer Worlds - I love Obsidian, but this game really disappointed me. It stands in sharp contrast next to disco elysium where dialogue options come up hours later with your character literally just thinking about something stupid they said earlier in the day. In Outer Worlds it feels like the character you roll at the start doesn't really matter. Being a smooth talker with lots of points into conversational skills has enemies flee from you. In disco there are long weird conversations you can stumble into in its dialogue trees. It just doesn't feel possible here and it's really sad. I couldn't even bring myself to play past the halfway point. The political message is so halfhearted here compared to in Disco as well, feels like this game has little to actually say.
  9. Jedi: Fallen Order - It was just so dissapointing gameplay wise coming off of Sekiro. I never felt like I could get the parries down consistently in boss fights like I could when I was on my A game in Sekiro. Ended up turning difficult from Master to Knight during the second half of the game and enjoying it more, but even with the much larger parry windows I could not consistently hit them. The world building and story stuff in this game is great though and I'm excited for more single player Star Wars content !!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
gYaDKTq.jpg

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - In the Souls games character builds offer multiple ways of tackling the game, but Sekiro strips away all that and only gives you one path, even though you can spice things up with prosthetic tools (shuriken, firecrackers). This focus on one set of mechanics shows that From is confident enough in their main combat loop. With good cause, because the swordplay is very satisfying once you get the hang of it. It's less about depleting an enemy's health (even though it helps) but more about filling up the posture bar. You do this by both deflecting attacks ánd attacking yourself. It's this clash of swords that leaves enemies open for a takedown. Sekiro is a game that rewards and even requires aggression, while also keeping your guard up when needed. Bloodborne was already a step in this direction, but this game is even more fast-paced. As a certain mid game boss will teach you, Sekiro's combat is all about the relentless attack on your opponent, while also deflecting or dodging his moves. If you do both of this right, you'll strike them down quickly. There is a pretty specific way From wants you to play this game, but it never gets old.
    The addition of a grappling hook makes the traversal more fun as well. If you're about to be spotted by enemies you can zip up and lay low. It's also easier to make it through areas quicker without being seen. That stealth aspect is another thing I enjoyed, as enemies are easy to dispose of quietly after a few stealth upgrades. You can even get a 'free' takedown in with most of the minibosses if you figure out a stealthy approach. Because of the grapple, stealth and Sekiro's fast sprint, this is one of the easiest From games in terms of level traversal. The bosses are not that forgiving though. Here mastery of the combat is required and there are a few skillcheck bosses for sure. But since there's no harsh penalty for dying and the save idols are well placed, I didn't mind the retries that much. These bosses are combat puzzles and I had a blast figuring them out.

Sekiro is also one of From's smaller games but that's a good thing, because there are no disappointing or undercooked areas like Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith. It's very consistent from start to finish in its design.

This is From showing more restraint in their combat and level design and they made one of their best games because of it.

2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The first Luigi's Mansion is one of my favorite GameCube games, but I was disappointed by the sequel and its mission-based structure. Since Next Level games was also doing the third game, I got my hype in check... but they knocked it out of the park. The Nintendo magic is in full effect here and every floor of the mansion feels unique and creative. The higher you get in the mansion, the more fun it gets. I guess my only real gripe is that some of the bosses and segments are designed for co-op play and are a bit of a hassle solo.

3. Hypnospace Outlaw - My biggest surprise of the year. I was pulled in by the '90's internet simulator' aspect of this game and while that's a fantastic hook, the underlying narrative kept me going. At first I didn't think this would be a story-heavy game, but the internal mail system gives you a lot of details about the world and the system you're navigating through. It's also very funny and has some great music tucked away in there. My indie game of the year.

4. Resident Evil 2 - This is one of the most tense RE games I've played. The new zombie mechanics take some getting used to. These things are bullet sponges like you won't believe and shooting them in the kneecap is often better than in the head, since they can take 5+ headshots and still won't go down. You have to surpress your desire to 'clear rooms' and just run for it sometimes... especially when X is about to give it to ya. There's some real survival horror here, especially on your first run.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I didn't love BotW that much and kept a craving for a tightly knit Zelda with a bunch of dungeons. This remake came at the right time and stilled my hunger, just a very cosy game that reminded me I will always love smaller game worlds more, especially if there's a secret or goodie in every corner.

6. Control - This is one of those games where I'm immersed more because of the characters, setting and story than the actual gameplay. I love the oldest house and the mystery, tension and Lynch-like surrealism it creates. I wish I was that enthralled by the shooter gameplay, even with levitation, rock-flinging and mind control. The (optional) boss fights can also be surprisingly frustrating with instakills out of nowhere.

7. Katana Zero - Any fan of Hotline Miami should give this a shot, or a eh... slice. It requires the same thought-out precision, but this time with a sword instead of guns. There's a slowdown mechanic to give you an edge and deflecting bullets with your sword feels so good. The story is also surprisingly great.

8. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Fallen Order was at its best when you're just exploring the big worlds, finding scattered upgrades. In most other categories, it falls shy of greatness. The combat is From-inspired but not nearly as good, the metroidvania formula doesn't feel satisfying because all the chests have cosmetic items and few actual upgrades. There also should've been a few fast travel options since some worlds are huge. If you want to find all items, get some snacks and blue milk because you're in for a long trek. The game has a great character in Merrin, but she only gets interesting as the game winds down and you're left wanting more of her, but also the improving group dynamic in general. The game is also a bit of a technical mess (at least on consoles). If you add all of this, Fallen Order feels like a game that needed more time in the oven. More so than that, it made me confident that Respawn will bring it for the sequel. They got everything here for a great game, now they just need more time to refine it.

9. Untitled Goose Game - Guess I'll HONK. Playing the asshole Goose was fun for a while and I finished the game in one sitting, but I'm also glad the devs didn't pad things out. The game ends right when it's supposed to and doesn't overstay its welcome.

10. Concrete Genie - The same could be said about Concrete Genie, a game where your paintings come alive. Taking out your paintbrush and bringing color to a drab and grey world is just very satisfying.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - It's been a while since I've been this into a RPG. The amount of content is mindblowing in itself, but on top of that, it's good content. The characters all have their own story that makes you care about them. And when you end up having to kill one of them, it's genuinely painful, because you know them (well, unless this is your first playthrough) and you know they deserved better. The fact that the player can feel all this is a testament to the quality of the writing. Even though the basic gameplay changed a bit compared to previous games it's still very enjoyable. The only real downside are the visuals, but most of the time, something will make you forget about it (the music/gameplay/story).
  2. Baba is You - I hadn't felt that way towards a puzzle game since I first played portal. The concept is new but still mastered to the perfection. I'll probably never finish it by myself. But the satisfaction everythime you complete a puzzle you've been struggling on for hours is unrivalled. A level creator + a way to play player-created levels would probably have pushed the game to my top spot.
  3. Disco Elysium - The writing is great and it's fun. Seriously, I can't remember the last I laughed while playing a game because of a situation the devs thought of (not because of a bug or something not just related to the game). I'm not too deep into the game, but it has still managed to take a spot in my top, I can't wait to keep playing.
  4. Tetris 99 - I usually dislike multiplayer games, especially skill-based ones. But this is too addictive. Probably the second best concept of the yearn after Baba's. I don't know who thought of "Tetris Battle Royal" but they are a genius and deserve all the awards in the world.

Those 4 games are the ones that really stood out this year to me. The others, I haven't played them enough or simply don't feel "goty-like" in my mind (ie. I won't remember them for years as I would remember those 4 games). That includes: Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening, Astral Chains, Sekiro, A Plague Tale and Cadence of Hyrule

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, is this really ending in a few hours? Not been as active the past week and I thought I had another day to get a list together (and I should be asleep as is, so no rushing right now). A Sunday morning just seems like a completely bizarre time to cut it off instead of at least letting it go through the weekend; not like it's even the last day of the month or something?

Oh well, maybe next year. Just unfortunate, there'a some games I wanted to get at least 1 vote...

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - Some of the most interesting writing I've seen in a game in a long, long time, with a really neat mix of hard-boiled detective fiction and something...weirder (writer China Mieville or the films of David Lynch come to mind). I also found the focus on dialogue instead of combat to be quite refreshing. There have been many other RPG's that have excelled at dialogue and storytelling, but DE really leans into that more than most. It's not afraid to let you play for hours without any action, and it works beautifully.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - As a Fire Emblem fan I was expecting to like this, but I still ended up surprised by how good and how big this game is. Not only are all the various recruitable characters interesting and relevant to the plot, with what feels like hours worth of dialogue for every single one, but there are also four distinct story paths and endings that all work really well. I could say so much about this game and how it's stuck with me, but to summarize: It's definitely one of my favourite games in the entire FE series thanks to the excellent cast and storytelling.

3. Judgment - Another incredible outing from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. The similarities to their Yakuza series are pretty numerous and easy to spot, but there are some key differences here that make for a nice change of pace. The biggest one being, in my opinion, protagonist Takiyuki Yagami. Him being a lawyer-turned-detective sets him apart from the gangsters you play as in Yakuza and the writing gives him a really likable wit and sense of humor that feels different from Yakuza's hero Kiryu. Just a really fun character to play as and one that's easy to root for. You also have an outstanding murder mystery plot delivered via the world class localization that's become commonplace for RGG Studio's games.

4. Control - May be Remedy's best game ever. Great combat, an incredibly well-realized world, and a really fascinating main plot.

5. Death Stranding

Overall I it was a great year for me. And I played some other superb games like Devil May Cry V, Ace Combat 7, Outer Worlds and Jedi Fallen Order, but really only feel strongly about the top 5's order.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only had a Switch for gaming this year, so a good chunk ended up as eshop indies.

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Good ol' Fire Emblem strategy gameplay with some nice customisation for classes from the get-go. Many great characters and multiple routes (within a single purchase, thank god) where these characters interact differently makes it a fun game to replay atleast once.
  2. Civilization 6: Gathering Storm - My PC is too low tech, so I really appreciate these console ports where I can still experience the feeling of "one more turn".
  3. River City Girls - A lot of fun with co-op, altho it's missing a good VS mode or a way to play the game with the post-game unlockable characters.
  4. The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince - Simple, but really cute exploration story game.
  5. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - Didn't get the chance to play this very much, but I enjoyed what I saw so far. Might've ended up higher if I had more time, but it is what it is.
  6. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Same as DQ11, didn't get a lot of time to play, but I enjoyed it.
  7. Blaster Master Zero 2 - Good sequel to a good reboot.
  8. Shakedown Hawaii - Expected SNES style graphics at first, like RCR's NES style, but this looks even better.
  9. Sweet Witches - Basic arcade-like platform game, but it was surprisingly fun with co-op. The regular difficulty gets pretty tough and we got pretty into it trying to beat it.
  10. Away: Journey to the Unexpected - Really weird take on FPS, with roguelike elements of level randomisation and only having one life, but I'm kinda into it.
  11. Wargroove - Like Advance Wars but not as good.
  12. Super Mario Maker 2 - Only putting this at the bottom of my list to say how much of a disappointment this was. Not enough new things to work with compared to 1 and the lack of amiibo outfits is a bigger bummer than I thought it would be.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Haven't played many games this year but I have to nominate a couple that I enjoyed.
  1. Disco Elysium - Masterpiece. Beautifully crafted world with some of the best writing in a video game, ever. Great soundtrack and great characters. An absolute delight to play and I can't wait to see what they do next with the world of Revachol.
  2. The Outer Worlds - Honestly, I'm not sure I'd rate this game as number 2 if I'd played some of the other releases this year but having said that it was a solid game with some snippets of greatness so I have to mention it somewhere. Parvati definitely stole the show for me, such an adorable character. Some decent writing in there but could not compare to my number 1 vote.
  3. Slay the Spire - Only picked this up recently on a whim and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I don't normally go for these types of games but I'm glad I gave it a shot as it is a lot of fun. Looks simple enough but you soon realise there's a wealth of depth here that will keep me playing well into the future.
  4. Children of Morta - Much the same as Slay the Spire I picked this up on a whim. Really glad I did as the characters and story telling are fantastic and I really enjoyed all of the little bits and pieces of lore scattered throughout. Gameplay is fast and frantic and just a whole lot of fun. Great game from a small time developer. Well done.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Posting this just in the nick of time heh. I always have a lot of fun putting these lists together as a way to reflect on the games I've enjoyed in the past year, and also as an opportunity to read about the games the community has enjoyed as well. While I can't say I got a chance to play every single game that piqued my interest in 2019, I was happy to get through what I could.

And so without further ado, here's my list.

dzm1l54vxb531.png

1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - FFXIV may be an MMO, but even after over 2 years of playing the game, it still surprises me how much I've taken to it (being primarily a single player gamer at heart). But at it's core, FFXIV is simply an RPG, a genre I've always enjoyed for providing storytelling on top of character development. FFXIV is undoubtedly a time investment, spanning a lengthy main story including the base game and now 3 expansions, but it's that same investment that has grown on me, in a way I haven't often been invested in a story in a video game. It's about the main characters I've seen grow and develop through the course of the entire game's lengthy story up to this point. In a way I almost feel a personal bond to many of them now. Shadowbringers may take FFXIV to a new place (the First), but it's hard to fully appreciate it without remembering what's come before.

It's difficult to talk about Shadowbringer's story without going into spoilers, but suffice to say it's one of my favorite Final Fantasy stories in quite some time. From a beautiful new world to explore, interesting new characters to meet, a story with a primary antagonist I could empathize with, and a fantastic soundtrack to accompany the journey, I often felt a sense of bliss taking it all in. Additionally, I think there's a sense of 'character' that truly develops in these sort of games. I've played the game as the same character since I first started playing, and in a sense, that's formed my sense of identity within the game as new content consistently releases, which I've found to be quite cool.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't touch on the gameplay, and I'll say this expansion has really made me enjoy playing my primary class (White Mage). And with a myriad of different classes to check out (all of which can be played as a single character), I do feel there's a lot of choice in finding at least one class that clicks.

All in all, Shadowbringers (and FFXIV as a whole) is a game that often puts a smile on my face while playing, whether it's taking in an emotional moment in the story, learning to play a class better, or even just meeting new people in Eorzea. It's the game I enjoyed playing the most in 2019, and simply put, it's my Game of the Year.

2. Resident Evil 2 - I tend to do poorly with tolerating 'Horror' games, so it was with a bit of uncertainty that I initally approached RE2 with, not sure if this would be 'my type of game'. What followed was one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year. The atmosphere presented a perfect amount of tension and exhilaration as I scurried around a Police Station as Claire trying to complete the objectives while somehow trying to stay alive with the undead roaming about. The campaign felt like just the right length to provide an entertaining game without overstaying its welcome. And it made me realize I can still have a really good time with the occasional 'Horror' game, and it can be satisfying to step out of my 'comfort zone' from time to time to enjoy a great video game.

3. Control - I always love games that encourage exploration, especially those that lay out a mystery at the start of the story. And Control was one of those games that made me really excited to uncover all the lore I could find in terms of the collectibles. The game does a great job of creating a creepy atmosphere that permeates its world. I also liked how the game doesn't have a waypoint marker telling you exactly where to go (instead just showing a general direction on the map), as I enjoyed organically exploring the world, and it was neat to rely on things like reading signs in the building to figure out where I needed to go. It's a nice touch to the immersion. I think the gameplay is really fun overall, and even though I did have some frustrations with certain bosses, using my powers along with the main weapon really does feel awesome when everything is clicking.

4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I feel every year there's at least one game on my list that I haven't quite wrapped up yet. And this year, Fire Emblem is that game for me. But I've enjoyed so much of what I've played in my 40 hours with it so far, that I do feel comfortable with placing it here on my list. And one thing that I'm really enjoying about Three Houses is the characters. The support system in Three Houses very much reminds me of Persona's social link system, and it's been a lot of fun getting to know my in-game students (in my role as professor) through supports and just running into them in the halls of the monastery and hearing their thoughts about current events in the game. While I do wish that Byleth had some form of voice acting instead of the awkward miming of a silent protagonist, I absolutely love the fact that all the NPC conversations are fully voiced, and it makes the presentation feel top notch. Learning about the students adds extra motivation for me to see them succeed. Things like knowing about Bernadetta's anxiety issues makes it feel all the more sweeter when I see her dominate the battlefield. It makes battles in the game feel more than just a collection of units that I'm deploying just to get a win. Each of these characters has a backstory, and for the most part, the game does a great job fleshing them out. And I really can't wait to see how it all turns out.

5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Like a lot of kids growing up in the late 90's, Pokemon was a big part of my life. I was hooked on the TV show and playing the games. Though as incredible as it was with just how much they crammed into a Gameboy cartridge with the original games, at the time I couldn't help but feel things in the presentation department were limited a bit by Pokemon being a handheld game. I always thought it was cool to see Ash battling in the big stadium with cheering fans, and wondering when we'd see that happen in the games.
    And it turns out 20 years later, Pokemon Sword and Shield are finally those games. Taking on the 'sports motif' of what I presume to be Football fandom in the UK that Pokemon Sword and Shield's Galar Region are based off of, there's a sense of excitement tied to Pokemon battles that I'm not sure if I ever quite felt to this level in prior games in the series. It may all be presentation window dressing to some degree, but there's something really cool about battling in a large stadium with fans cheering you on. I do wish the game took it a step further and had some form of voiced announcer to accompany it, but baby steps for now I suppose.

And of course, the above wouldn't mean much if the core game wasn't fun to play. The Pokemon formula hasn't changed radically here, and I supposse for me, it didn't need to. I'm still having a blast pitting my 'mons against others, exploiting type advantages, and always feeling a sense of pride to see my team level up and grow. There's still a lot I want to see in a main entry Pokemon game (fully animated battles, bigger and denser cities to explore, some actual VO, and a more interesting story), but at the end of the day, I still enjoy the core gameplay loop. And one of the best things the game does is make a lot of quality of life improvements, so I can focus on having fun.

6. Outer Worlds - I was a big fan of Fallout New Vegas, so I was naturally excited to play Obsidian's next game. And while there were aspects of the game I felt that didn't quite click with me (the 'retrofuturism' theme and the completely mute protagonist), there was still a lot I really liked about the game. Quite a few of the dialog options made me chuckle, and I don't think I'll ever tire of Obsidian's writing style. I also liked most of the game's story companions, and I felt one in particular (Parvati) really steals the show, both in the way she's written and also Ashly Burch's excellent voice acting that really brings the character to life. And while the general atmosphere of the sci fi setting wasn't quite for me, I did like how the planets looked in the more 'open areas'. It does a great job of reminding you that you're definitely not on Earth, and it all felt appropriately alien.
    I also felt the combat was quite enjoyable. Using companion abilities felt great and using the time dilation to slow down and line up head shots never got old for me (and felt like a nice follow up to the VATS system of the more recent Fallout games). Perhaps my favorite thing in these sort of games is passing speech checks, and I'm glad the Outer Worlds offers plenty of that. I definitely look forward to a possible sequel, and seeing what they do to change and improve it.

7. Gears 5 - A Gears campaign to me is a bit like 'comfort food'. I largely know what I'm in for, and I have a lot of fun getting into third person cover and shooting up some baddies. Gears 5 adds some new wrinkles to the formula, like being able to use the environment to do damage (dropping icicles on enemies never got old) and a lot of Jack's abilities added a lot of welcome variety to the series' well established gunplay. And while Gears 5 may not be my favorite example of story/writing of the year, I probably enjoyed this one the most of the bunch, and I felt some of the emotional moments hit me a bit harder in this one than they have in past Gears game. Perhaps because I felt these characters endeared to me a bit more. I think Kait has been my favorite protagonist of the series so far, and I appreciate their decision to change that up from Gears 4 to 5. And while the open world elements of the game didn't quite click me, I did appreciate them trying out some new things.
    Overall it was definitely a fun ride, and looking forward to seeing where everything goes next in the inevitable Gears 6.

8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - My reference point with the Castevania series is the DS games (Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait or Ruin), both of which I really enjoyed. It's been a while since I played those games, but Bloodstained reminded me why I loved that formula. From the catchy music to trying to uncover the entire map, it's easy to get hooked into its gameplay loop. It's one of those games where it's just really fun to try to uncover as much of the map, and it's neat to find new places to explore when you unlock new abilities. It made me realize how much I still enjoyed this style of game, and I do hope we see more Bloodstained games down the road.

9. Mortal Kombat 11 - I'm terrible at fighting games, but for some reason, there's always been a certain allure of the genre to me that I can't stay away from them. The most recent Mortal Kombat games have been interesting to me, mostly because they've really invested in the concept of single player content in a fighting game. MK11 has a somewhat goofy story mode, but I think it works to the game's advantage, and overall makes for a fun story of strong fighters doing badass things to beat up bad people. I appreciated how someone like me who's hopeless at fighting games can set the difficult down to easy, dish out a few simple combos, and have a fun time in the story mode and discovering characters that may be fun to learn in a bit more depth.
    Admittedly, some things in the game's periphery soured me a bit on the overally experience (such as the grind to unlock new skins and items for your favorite characters), though even still, I like that options to customize characters exist here, and that there's a strong tutorial to try to teach me how to properly play the game.

10. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Character driven narrative focused games are something I'm particularly fond of, which is why I knew I had to check out Plague Tale Innocence this year. I know I've said this before, but one of my favorite things about gaming is being able to take on the role of a character, 'to be someone else'. Early on in Plague Tale, I felt the game did a great job of immersing me in my role as Amicia. We get just enough insight into her background, her relation with her brother, and such before the actual plot of the game kicks off. Plague Tale Innocence is one of those games that feels very appropriately named. It's a tale of innocence, family, friendship, and perhaps the lengths we sometimes have to go to protect those we care about, even when that means doing things that seem absolutely terrifying. While I never quite fell in the love with the actual gameplay, I still enjoyed the game for it's ability to successfully immerse me in the role of a character, and overall enjoyed the adventure the game took me on.

11. Ring Fit Adventure - Honorable mention time. I haven't played as much Ring Fit Adventure up to this point as I would have liked, but what I have played I've been really impressed with. Exercise has always been a bit of a challenge to me over the years (yeah, I know that's not very original). And while I do activities like treadmill and ellipitical use, it can be tough to stick to a regimen, especially when there's always a million excuses to do something else. But I think one thing I appreciate about games like Ring Fit (and even previous games that promoted exercise like Dance Central) is its attempt to make exercise feel less like an obligation and more like a fun game. There's a story mode, leveling up, fights against enemies, that's it hard not to see the RPG roots here. It's very much a system that motivates you to play the game, and to me at least, it takes out the tedium of my typical workouts.

I'm hoping it's the 2019 game that I get a lot of mileage out of in 2020.

12. Sayonara Wild Hearts - How much mileage one gets out Sayonara Wild Heart's relatively short story may depend on how much the music appeals to you, but I have to say, the soundtrack was very much my jam. A few days after finishing the game, I went on to Spotify to see if I could find the soundtrack, and sure enough, it was there. I've since listened to the album several times, and whenever I do so, it makes me think back to what was happening in the game when that song was playing. It's a game that resonates more with me thinking of the song tied to each level, and perhaps gets reinforced the more I listen to the album. It's very much the 'visual album' that it's advertised as, and it's a very neat concept that I wouldn't mind seeing more of down the road.
    It's just some spots of frustration with the controls on some levels (I did play with an Xbox controller on my iPad) that prevented me from fully enjoying the actual gameplay as much as I hoped.

13. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - I feel every few years I check in with Call of Duty. I take a stab at the multiplayer (and verify that I'm still terrible at it), but mostly I like to play their single player campaigns, which often feel like playing through a summer blockbuster. I won't argue that Modern Warfare's campaign says anything particularly new, but as the graphics get sharper over time along with the 'realism' of how it all looks, I think one thing I respect is the campaign really shows off the sheer brutality of warfare, particularly in some of the flashback sequences. And while I don't think the game goes quite as far to make the same statements about warfare as something like Spec Ops so eloquently did back in 2012, it was another entertaining campaign to go through, and I was glad to see it through.

And that's a wrap on my 2019 GOTY list. Hopefully that wasn't too long. Every year I think I'm going to write a quick blurb about each of my favorite games, and I suppose I don't know when to stop. Anyways, I look forward to catching up with some of the big releases I missed in 2019 (such as Death Stranding and Jedi: Fallen Order) and looking forward to another year of great games in 2020.

Thanks Era.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
  1. Astral Chain - Excellent platinum gameplay with another cool setting.
  2. Death Stranding - I found the gameplay surprisingly compelling, the story/world was refreshingly weird. It would have been first if it wasn't for the offensively poor ending, which didn't respect my time and soured the experience.
  3. Outer Worlds - One of the few games that I played on release day, thanks gamepass! Enjoyed the gameplay and the interesting setting, although on completion I reflected that the role playing and the characters you meet were lightweight.
  4. Mario Maker 2 - More of the same, which is a good thing.
  5. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Excellent game. I bought it for a cool Boo T-shirt!

StrangeWit

Oct 27, 2017
  1. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - The first visual novel that kept me engaged from beginning to end.
  2. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - A great looter shooter that I will always return to again and again. It just feels natural.
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - A unique exercise "adventure" game. Tough and fun at the same time. It feels much better than it's Wii counterparts.
  4. Tom Clancey's The Division 2 - Another great looter shooter. Less pizazz than Destiny 2. Not sure why the entry is misspelled.
  5. World of Warcraft Classic - Throwback to years gone by. Nostalgia is strong with this one. I no longer have the time to commit to it.
  6. Islanders - A calming city builder game that helped me through some stressful times.
  7. Borderlands 3 - I think looter shooters are a trend for me this year. While I enjoyed the humor, this is one I preferred to watch streamers play rather than myself.
Honorable mention goes to Call of Duty Modern Warfare. This is the first Call of Duty single player campaign that I actually enjoyed. It doesn't appear in the list because I didn't finish the campaign.

Ailyo

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - The best return that DMC could have possibly had. This game is just plain cool. The combat is the best DMC has ever had, perfected to the maximum. Getting to the SSS while Devil Trigger is playing is absolutely fantastic and gives you a great feeling. All three characters are fun to use, especially Dante who has ten thousand combos between styles and weapons. The bosses are practically all fantastic, especially the final one which is chef's kiss. As I write this, I feel like going to replay this game, because boy you can play it even 5 times and it absolutely won't bore you. A real concentrate of adrenaline and simply the best game I have played this year.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - Zero Time Dilemma had disappointed me a lot and I didn't know whether to trust Uchikoshi anymore. Fortunately, this game was fantastic. As much as it is always a visual novel, it is very different from its other games. As much as there are certainly big twists, the plot is more grounded than its other games and there are no organizations that want to destroy humanity, in fact the game makes fun of the clichés of its other games (in this It reminded of V3). The game on the other hand is much more focused on the characters and the cast of this game is truly phenomenal. Towards the end of the game you are very fond of all the characters and I really like how they evolve over the course of the game. In particular, the combination of the two protagonists, Date and Aiba, is absolutely fantastic. These two really made me laugh throughout the game and are two of my favorite characters of the year. And in general, the game is really funny, which surprised me since, except for certain moments, the Zero Escape games weren't that much. The mechanics of getting into people's minds is very interesting and agood gameplay mechanic and leads to very beautiful moments, especially when you enter the mind of the mother of a certain otaku which ended up with me in tears. A game that I would recommend to anyone
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I will be honest, I didn't exactly like the recent games of Fire Emblem, so Three Houses was a real breath of freshness for me. A superb cast of characters, lots of fantastic and actually well written supports and astory that I actually care about! I generally liked the gameplay even though I recognize that it is not exactly the best in the series and on certain points it is flawed. I'm glad they kept the Mila wheel which was one of the best additions in the series. I would have preferred that they had improved the monastery, because after a while always doing the same things becomes boring. But for the rest, this game is simply fantastic and I believe that the confirmation of this is still the huge amount of memes and "fake discussions between the characters" that are on this game. I feel bad that I only did one route and probably doing the other routes will make me enjoy the game even more
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Link's Awakening is one of my favorite Zeldas and this game has done nothing but reconfirm it. I love how weird this game is, with all the characters and particular enemies like crocodiles, Goombas, Categnaccio and Kirby. The dungeons are really fun and well made and I was happy to play a Zelda with good dungeons after some time. The artstyle is beautiful and adorable and the remixes of all the music are exceptional. And as simple as it is, one of my favorite Zelda endings. In short, this is a fantastic remake
  5. Resident Evil 2 - One of the best remakes ever. Resident Evil 2 completely changes the experience of playing RE2. The police station is one of the best locations ever, because it is literally a giant puzzle. You have to think carefully about where to go, how many ammo to use etc. The way everything connects perfectly is fantastic. I also really enjoyed Mr. X, his first meeting with him provokes incredible tension and anxiety. Graphically it's beautiful, especially with things like zombie damage. A bit of a shame that the settings after the police station are not on the same level, especially the sewers, but that's fine.
  6. Wattam! - Wattam is pure joy. It's like one of the most positive games I've ever played. In this game you can be a mouth and eat the other characters, who become poo. And it's beautiful. Like all Keita Takahashi games while you play you have a big smile on your face. It is weird and strange but this is what makes me worship it. It also takes a certain turn towards the end that I liked a lot. In short, the cutest and most adorable game of this year.
    It has a flaw: the game runs awful on the base PS4. But oh well, let's turn a blind eye for this time.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The best thing about this game is to go into the rooms and literally sweep everything, breaking every fucking thing. Capturing ghosts is fun, but nothing compared to the sheer joy of completely destroying the rooms of this hotel. A clear improvement over the other two on all fronts. The bosses return to being unique and real characters, compared to the horrible ones of the 2. And the boss fights are all a lot of fun. In addition, the game is really beautiful to see, they did a good job with the animations of all the characters. Honestly the cutscenes of this game are how I would like a hypothetical Super Mario movie. And although I didn't like the game more linear style at the beginning, I think it was a wise decision in the end. The only flaw of this game are some slightly irritating backtracking sections. And fuck the final boss. Otherwise a very fun experience.
  8. Sayonara Wild Hearts - This game is the perfect definition of cool and stylish. The artstyle and music of the game match perfectly and the gameplay is a lot of fun. I especially like how it offers new mechanics for each level and it is not simply "you are on a motorcycle and you shoot to the rhythm of music". And of course the soundtrack is a banger. It's a beautiful 2-3 hour trip that I had a lot of fun with. The only flaw is that I would have liked the levels to be continuous between them and to not have the screen in the middle that tells you the result and then returns to the level selection. But otherwise it's a fantastic experience and an excellent representation of what it feels like to have a broken heart.
  9. Tetris 99 - Tetris 99 is fantastic. They adapted Tetris to a Battle Royale mode and it's fantastic. First of all, Tetris is the perfect game so it's automatically good. And it's surprising how well Battle Royal mode works, especially when you find out how to beat others. A small problem with this game is that it explains the mechanics like shit and you have to look for them on the Internet to understand them. But otherwise it's really fun and I've played a lot of it over the year, especially thanks to the skins and the events they used to do (yes, it's a game that has more updates than Mario Maker 2)
  10. Pokémon Sword/Shield - It has a lot of problems but I can't say that I didn't have a lot of fun with it.

Honorable Mentions:
Untitled Goose Game
Judgement
Super Mario Maker 2
Pokémon Masters

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - Elevates the medium. Not just an enjoyable isometric detective RPG set in an immersive, fully-realised and endlessly fascinating world, but an emotional tour de force, an exploration of depression, grief, suffering, politics, class and humanity. Undoubtedly the best game released in 2019.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Quite possibly the best combat and boss fights I've ever experienced. The feeling of struggling against a tough enemy, learning their patterns and then defeating them is not unique to Sekiro, but for me victory has never tasted quite so sublime as it does here.
  3. Outer Wilds - This game changed the conversation in a way that few games do. I don't want to say too much about it in case there's the offchance the premise hasn't been spoiled for you. But go in blind if you can.
  4. Life Is Strange 2 - I had some misgivings about the first two episodes, but by the end this game had me in tears. A beautiful tale with astoundingly real feeling characters, designed in a way that makes your choices feel impactful without making it seem like you messed up or missed something.
  5. Death Stranding - No game narratives aggravate me more than those written by Hideo Kojima, but I loved the central gameplay loop of Death Stranding. It's ambitious and immersive in a way that reminds me of Breath of the Wild, with getting from A to B being the whole point.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - Having never played the original, this was a treat. Jaw dropping gore, phenomenal sound design and classic, pitch perfect Resident Evil gameplay combine to make an absurdly satisfying survival horror experience.
  7. Devotion - A game you can't actually buy right now due to the backlash Taiwanese developer Red Candle received after including a reference to Chinese president Xi Jinping. A horror game unlike any I've ever played, I'd say it's essential for any fan of horror games if it was currently on the market.
  8. Total War: Three Kingdoms - A milestone entry in the Total War series, Three Kingdoms revamped many aspects of its core while maintaining the spectacular battles, striking art, attention to historical detail and straight up addictive turn-based gameplay the franchise is known for. Just one more turn...
  9. Blasphemous - With an art direction that asks: what if all the tortured, disturbing imagery in Catholicism came to life and wanted to kill you, Blasphemous is a challenging, gruesome and utterly gorgeous Metroidvania. It may lack polish and be a little too opaque at times, but I loved every minute.
  10. Control - This games strength lies perhaps more in style than substance, Control nevertheless managed to impress with its brutalist aesthetic, mysterious, wacky sci-fi and ballistic, telekinetic combat. Dr Darling was an unexpected treat.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
For the last couple of years I've wanted to participate in these GOTY lists and everytime I waited too long and missed the deadline. This time will be different!

1. Death Stranding - A Hideo Kojima Game. It was a surreal experience to play this game before the general release and just completely being left in the dark about everything, not knowing what the hell you're supposed to do, what's going on, and not having the internet to back you up or explain the game mechanics. The ending had me shook. It is nowhere near a perfect game but nothing I've played this year, maybe even this decade, had me feel like I felt playing this game.

2. Control - A magnificent comeback for Remedy. I wasn't expecting anything GOTY-worthy but holy shit was I proven wrong. The Ashtray Maze level or whatever it was called is something I probably won't forget anytime soon. The level and art design are top notch, and the usage of Finnish themes and music gave the game a really unique vibe.

3. A Plague Tale: Innocence - The surprise of the year. I was following the development of this game for some time and I didn't dare dream this game would actually be SO good. I'm still astounded that Asobo managed to deliver such a strong game, in gameplay, graphics, voice talent, level design - pretty much everything. They had the balls to take the escort mission trope which everybody hates, and make a game about just that, and they actually made it engaging. There are multiple child characters in this game and everybody is likeable. I just can't wrap my head around how amazing that is.

4. Days Gone - A game I thought would be incredibly bland, but I ended up loving and 100% completing. I really don't get the hate this game gets! I love how you start being absolutely terrified of the freaker hordes and by the end of the game I started hunting them down. I liked how they handled the story, with multiple layers of storylines intersecting with each other, and the cutscenes felt like a treat. The game just kept going and going too!

5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I fell in love with the first game and the sequel has its hooks in me even more. I haven't even finished chapter 1 after almost 25 hours so that's saying something. I just can't get enough of building structures and assigning houses to people.

6. Astral Chain - I love how stylish everything is and how this game actually make you feel like a bad-ass anime sci-fi cop.

7. Anthem - A game that somehow was punished for being a technical mess while Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order tops many people's GOTY lists. Anthem played like a dream, looked like a dream and was super fun to play with a friend. It should've stayed in development much longer but I really enjoyed this world and story, up until the endgame. I hope they will reboot it and it'll see a No Man's Sky-like revival, because I believe in Anthem. For the Grabbits!

8. Ring Fit Adventure - The game that finally made me exercise and it is super fun to boot. This is the kind of game that only Nintendo can come up with and I hope it was a succes for them because I want them to experiment with these kind of ideas more.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - My first time experiencing Link's Awakening and it didn't disappoint, but it also wasn't super exciting. The framerate issues are almost unforgivable for such a simple looking game, and very unlike Nintendo to release it in that state.

10. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Probably the most dissapointing game of the year for me but it kinda redeemed itself in the last quarter. My experience with this game was pretty much terrible on PS4 Pro, with crashes, freezes, unfinished/missing animations (BD-1 underwater cannisters?) levels that would literally load as I was running through them, falling through the ground, etcetera. Kashyyyk was a technical disaster. I wish Respawn was given more time to polish and QA because if you look beyond the super rough surface it is a really great action adventure game. If I didn't encounter so many technical issues this would've been way higher on my list.

Games I wished I played because I'm pretty sure they would've ended up on my list: Disco Elysium, Baba Is You, Life Is Strange 2, The Outer Worlds and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Next Level Games deserves every priase they cant get for this work of art.
  2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Best Dragon Quest game this year. And Dragon Quest 11s is PHENOMENAL, so that shows how good is this one. Does Minecraft and Animal Crossing right and gives them a run for their money. PLAY IT PEOPLE!
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Look mum, im a professor in Hogwarts! What a fun freakin game, its going to be hard for them to make the next game that they cant use the perfect school setting again.
  4. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - That I can't write its official complete name in the ballot, Dragon Quest XI® S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, or more importantly, the name of the spanish version that is the one that I played, Dragon Quest XI® S: Ecos de un Pasado Perdido - Edición Definitiva, that, by the way, is lovely localized, should be a crime.
  5. Astral Chain - Once you get the battle system this game is amazing. I actually enjoy this type of ranking for the missions much more and I hope it goes forward for other platinum games. The Bayonetta type scoring is going to give me aheart attack one day.
  6. Ring Fit Adventure - The first time in my live ive been having fun exercising (not counting team sports). 10 days and counting.
  7. Disco Elysium - The writting in this game is phenomenal, the graphics and music beautifully haunting, and the openess incredible. Just one negative thing, the game is hard for non native english speakers, I didnt have problems with it but this is not a game for those people they say they are fine reading english but they are only comfortable with base level (basically more than half the world). That the team decided to only translated in the future to french, german, chinese and russian, with things like spanish missing... yeah im sorry but that doesnt look good on them, even less when theres an spanish translation team that contacted them and they receive no answer (they are going to start an unofficial one). That docks it down a lot for me (instead of being top 3), becuase less people can enjoy this incredible game. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ZA/UM !
  8. The Outer Worlds - Such a fun fucking game. This is why Obsidian is godly and Bethesda sucks monkey balls.
  9. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Finally a real Ace Combat again. Not as excellent as 5 and zero, but good in its own right. Also has been snubbed onf awards on the music department.
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - The base of the game is so good and the graphics so beautiful, that even if the game is exactly the same, and all of the addons are actual detrimental in quality to the game (mouse photos shouldnt have dissapeared for that shitty dungeon maker) that is still amazing. But becuase its so similar this one is going to 10, sorry LA. Though I still love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.