• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
  1. Hitman 2 - A rather chill stealth game that offers various additional challenges to the player to explore further ways to achieve objectives in stages. The game also has a bunch of humorous action alongside the all-mighty Suitcase.
  2. Dragon Quest XI
  3. Mega Man 11
  4. Yakuza 6
  5. Unavowed
  6. Chuchel
  7. God of War

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Gift of Fury

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Hollow Knight - One of the best in the genre. The controls are responsive, the battles are challenging, and the exploration is incredible. I got an ending at about 82%, but it looks like I will be playing for quite a while trying to find the stuff I missed and get some of the better endings. The art style and soundtrack create a great atmosphere.
  2. Celeste - An excellent puzzle platformer with a charming story. The soundtrack is probably my favorite of the year.
  3. God of War - This reboot brings more exploration and almost Zelda-like puzzles to the series. I'm only about 30% of the way through and it has already surpassed its predecessors in my opinion.
  4. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - The online is a little barren, but having all the arcade Street Fighters on my PS4 is pretty cool.
  5. Deltarune Chapter 1 - I played Undertale for the first time earlier in 2018 and loved it. This has more of the fun writing and creative gameplay.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1c62cd989252264.png

1. God of War- No game has ever made me choke on tears in its opening minutes as God of War. Ever. Favourite emotional scores of all time in VG and all the more significant given what the series previously represented. Honestly, I can not recall another game that has this many emotional music pieces like Lullaby of the
    Giants
    , Ashes, Memories of Mother and Deliverance.
    The No-Cut camera is a monumental achievement for immersion and it is remarkably missed in other games that I now play (aside from games that do not have cut-scenes).
    Who knew that Kratos could be written to be on path to redemption without mangling it. I did not think that the story would personally affect me as much as it did.What masculinity means and how toxic masculinity was stripped away from Kratos were other highlights of the journey.
    I did not expect the combat system to be as likable as it turned out to be. It felt far more powerful yet grounded compared to its predecessors. The Runic attacks when switching back and forth between weapons, essentially chaining them, is an absolute power trip. Also, Amulet of Kvasir and The Golden Talisman of Protection were such fantastic additions to cater to two very distinctly different play-styles.
    The only game besides SoulsBorne series where I felt that the game egged you find out the most optimum strategies to defeat enemies and improve my skills thus. Nowhere was this more blatant when I faced off against those trapped optional bosses that tested player's mettle and skills like no other. Of course this was followed by challenges of Surt in Muspelheim.
    Loved the stat based RPG mechanics.Adored the world building courtesy of Mimir during long boat rides that did not rely on cutscenes.To that end, I was utterly in disbelief just how accurate the facial animation was OUTSIDE cutscenes. Honestly, SSM set the bar for console games with that because the only other game I can think of that did it this well (or close enough) was Half Life 2.
    The Boi mechanics were a joy to deploy and upgrading him to use multiple resurrection stones was very useful.The relationships forged and their evolution felt very natural. And huge bonus on NOT being Corny or Cheesy like say parts of Persona 5 (another game I adored).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Note that DYO and PixelJunk Monsters 2 aren't on the spreadsheet - bad mainstream-focused Resetera :P
(And that several games in that spreadsheet are missing the PC platform, e.g. Atelier Lydie, but that probably doesn't matter).
My Memory of Us was also missing from the spreadsheet, but I assume it got counted since I got the voting receipt.

Edit: Also noticed that CD Projekt Red is spelled wrong in the spreadsheet :<

Last edited:

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 – I was excited but a little anxious in the lead-up to Red Dead 2. I adored the original and consider it one of my favourite open-world games, but I found GTA V disappointing when it came to its story, missions and characters. Would I connect with Arthur in the same way that I had with John? Did we really need a prequel when we already knew the fate of John, Dutch and co? The answer was overwhelmingly yes. Arthur is a fascinating character and deservedly drawing plaudits from even the game's detractors. I found his journey over the course of the game completely captivating, especially as the gang began to fracture and his priorities changed. It's no surprise that the 'living world' Rockstar created is an amazing technical achievement, but it still finds ways to surprise me a hundred hours in. The game also has several memorable, thrilling missions such as Braithwaite Manor, the oil refinery, hitting Bronte's mansion etc. It's a game that, like the original, will stay with me a long time.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man – Spider-Man 2 was one of my favourite games as a kid. Yes, other aspects of the game were lacklustre looking back, but it just felt so good to swing around the city in Spidey's shoes. Thankfully, Insomniac managed to nail that same feeling. The first few hours of Spider-Man are my fondest gaming memories of the year. I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time and it still felt good to swing around after fifty hours or so. The combat system also feels like its own thing despite the inevitable comparisons to Rocksteady's Arkham games and though the story doesn't do anything unexpected, I still felt invested in Insomniac's takes on Peter, MJ and Miles. The one thing that lets the game down is its repetitive side content. As I enjoyed the rest of the game so much, it didn't bother me as much as it could have, but it could definitely be improved in the sequel.
  3. God of War – I've never been a big God of War fan but this really impressed me. Firstly, the combat is very satisfying. The Leviathan axe feels suitably weighty and powerful and I loved the sense of progression as Kratos acquires more skills and combos. The story also affected me in a surprising way. Kratos is not a particularly sympathetic character but I was invested in his growing relationship with Atreus and their quest.More variety in the boss battles would have been nice, especially as none of them really matched the opening encounter and some of the side content also felt a little by-the-numbers. However, special praise must be given to the excellent voice acting (especially Mimir!) and the interesting lore. Bear McCreary's soundtrack is excellent too.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Ultimate is actually the first Smash game I've put any significant time into and I've really enjoyed my time with it so far. The number of characters, stages and references is completely overwhelming in a good way) and I can see myself playing it for a long time. Each character feels sufficiently different with their own personalities and the new stages are full of little details to marvel at. It's the gaming equivalent of being under a warm blanket on a cold evening.
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – I never owned a Wii U but after all the praise I knew I'd have to pick it up when it made its way to Switch. DK feels great to control but the real stars of the show are the incredible stages and the fantastic soundtrack. I regularly go back to the game just to replay some of my favourite stages. The K stages are absolutely brutal but it was really satisfying to get through them and earn 100%. Tropical Freeze is definitely one of my favourite 2D platformers.
  6. GWENT: The Witcher Card Game – I've been playing Gwent on and off for a couple of years but seeing it had its full release last year I had to vote for it. I'm not a big card game player but I still enjoy myself when I dip in for a game or two. The card art is excellent and I like the new features CDPR have added for Homecoming such as the reward book. I wanted to support Thronebreaker as well but I just haven't had time to. It looks excellent.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - What Sony Santa Monica did here is unbelievable. The rebirth of a well known franchise. And SSM created the game of the Generation.
  2. Spider-Man - Insomniac Games once again delivered a great Sony 1st party game. And it's one of the best games on the PS4.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - The suprise hit. I remember how I saw the first trailer for Astro Bot and thought it looks really nice. Months later, it's the best VR game ever. Congratulations to Japan Studio.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus - Almost 14 years later and it's still a masterpiece.
  5. Detroit: Become Human - A beautiful game with an amazing story. David Cage's best game. I want Mord Connor and Hank.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - RDR2 is the game that, as a child, I wished Final Fantasy 7 would be.
    By that, I mean a massive living world where everyone followed their own fates, and the actions you took affected the world around you. There were several incredible moments at the camp in Chapter 2 (where I decided the game would be my GOTY) where characters have private conversations that reveal their deepest desires and most primary motivations, and they're completely optional. It's exactly what I wanted the Highwind in FF7 to be, with each party member exploring the ship and sharing their feelings instead of staying stationary and repeating a hint, ad nauseaum.

Of course, that was 20 years ago. But to be honest, I never expected a game like RDR2 to ever be made. Arthur Morgan shows more colour in brushing his teeth with his finger, than I've seen protagonists have in entire franchises.

I bring up FF7 because, A, I love kit and think about it all the time. But also, that comparison is why I don't ignore RDR2's weaknesses-but I do have a different context. Is every mission's Auto-Aim gunplay the most thrilling experience you're going to necessarily have? No. But much like when you'd tap O through an encounter with a slug, or a non-descript soldier, or a fuckin' House-Monster, the combat isn't the point. In RDR2, every decision you make creates a completely different thread of motivation. When you think of it in that way-as an overall wave of moments with different tones and textures, rather than every second meant to hit a high note, I don't think the game has any peer.

if RDR2 moments could be on this Top 10 list, the description of hats in the General Store would be in the Top 7. The Sandbox Game is dead-this is a Sand-Buckingham Castle, built to scale.
  2. Astro Bot Robot Rescue - The prototype of a brand new strain of gaming experience. My only fear is that they try to add new things and polish the rough patches, they never manage to get this exact experience this right again (I felt the same way about Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat).
  3. Celeste - this game does everything that it sets out to do, right. It is perfect in it's ambition. The only problem you can have with it is your feelings on hardcore death-per-second platformers. It's world-renowned sour candy, and if you have any problems with it it's your mouth's fault. (As you can tell by its placement here, I like sour stuff in moderation).
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man - - This game is the most compelling thing I played in 2019. Note that I do not mean this as a complement. Everything in the game is meant to push you to play more of the game, and in that it is successful. Every part of the experience is very good-to-great, minus the ending which is exceptional. But I did find the experience kind of empty, and didn't feel the Open-World pacing did he game any favours in regards to building narrative momentum.

I absolutely loved the parts of the game in the shelter, with people with their own problems living their lives, and you making a difference with moments as small as turning on the TV. I loved those segments, and wished that there would be a game made of them. Then RDR2 came out the next month.
  5. Shadow Of The Colossus -They didn't fuck it up!
  6. Guacamelee 2 - Could this game BE more slept on? They made one of those fancy Metroidvanias all the kids are Flossing about, except with well-written and memorable characters and capable Co-Op. And then they made another one…and no one gives a FUCK? It pains me how good this game is, and its' only crime is came too soon for most people to want another filling. This is another Viewtiful Joe 2 situation.
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - This game is DisneyLand in 2019. There may have been times where the experience was more raw, or more surprising, and sometimes you're playing and you can almost HEAR the game patting itself on the back. But it's bigger than it's ever been, and we are the lucky pocket dimension where everything went right, and we get to punch Pikachu in the face with Captain Falco. When you consider the premise is a dream come true, the fact that they were able to raise the bar again is a triumph.
    (Why is it so low? Have you BEEN to Disneyland in 2019?)
  8. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - - Speaking of being released too soon…Oh, how I wish I could spread out my experiences with these games. They're such filling, all-encompassing epic adventures you rush into the next one, and..can't stop thinking about the last one. I would say 30% of the time I played YK2, I was thinking "this is dope". Another 30% of the time, I was thinking "I sure had a great time with Yakuza 0". And 20% of the time I was getting a little tired of it. And I'm worried because, I think that fatigue's just going to go up more and more. I'm sure in a few years, I could have a very good time with any of these games..but will I? Or will I just replay 0?
  9. God Of War - I mean, it does everything pretty good. It just doesn't quite hit the emotional highs of some other games this year, and its gameplay loop is like getting Garlic Bread for dessert.
  10. Dragon Quest XI - What DQ11 does well, it does fantastic (towns, some characters). What DQ11 does badly, it sucks at (Music, Bloated pace). Somewhere between DQ11 and Persona 5 is the perfect game. But with both games, I felt like it was a countdown until I was going to call it quits.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
  1. God of War-A great comeback to the series! The level were Kratos returns to his cabin for his
    Blades
    was the most emotional thing this year!
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man-This is the Spider-Man game I've always wanted! Web swinging, fighting, it was all amazing.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2- Rockstar continuing to show why they are who they are, and I loved it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1c62cd989252264.png

God of War- It was the only game I played last year that was also released last year and it was wise decision.

• No game has ever made me choke on tears in its opening minutes as God of War. Ever.
  • Favourite emotional scores of all time in VG and all the more significant given what the series previously represented. Honestly, I can not recall another game that has this many emotional music pieces like Lullaby of the
    Giants
    , Ashes, Memories of Mother
    and Deliverance.
  • The No-Cut camera is a monumental achievement for immersion and it is remarkably missed in other games that I now play (aside from games that do not have cut-scenes).
  • Who knew that Kratos could be written to be on path to redemption without mangling it. I did not think that the story would personally affect me as much as it did.
  • What masculinity means and how toxic masculinity was stripped away from Kratos were other highlights of the journey.
  • I did not expect the combat system to be as likable as it turned out to be. It felt far more powerful yet grounded compared to its predecessors.
  • The Runic attacks when switching back and forth between weapons, essentially chaining them, is an absolute power trip.
  • Also, Amulet of Kvasir and The Golden Talisman of Protection were such fantastic additions to cater to two very distinctly different play-styles.
  • The only game besides SoulsBorne series where I felt that the game egged you find out the most optimum strategies to defeat enemies and improve my skills thus. Nowhere was this more blatant when I faced off against those trapped optional bosses that tested player's mettle and skills like no other. Of course this was followed by challenges of Surt in Muspelheim.
  • Loved the stat based RPG mechanics.
  • Adored the world building courtesy of Mimir during long boat rides that did not rely on cutscenes.
  • To that end, I was utterly in disbelief just how accurate the facial animation was OUTSIDE cutscenes. Honestly, SSM set the bar for console games with that because the only other game I can think of that did it this well (or close enough) was Half Life 2.
  • The Boi mechanics were a joy to deploy and upgrading him to use multiple resurrection stones was very useful.
  • The relationships forged and their evolution felt very natural. And huge bonus on NOT being Corny or Cheesy like say parts of Persona 5 (another game I adored).

Of course the game is not perfect but it is the best God of War game to date in terms of its overall design, story and gameplay aesthetics.

Hey, unless you at least partly use the formatting explained in the OP this vote won't be counted.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
esTMlbL.jpg

1. Hollow Knight - A grand metroidvania adventure by Team Cherry. Hollow Knight is everything i love about videogames. Right from the start is clear that this is not one of these modern games, which hold your hand constantly with auto map markers and tons of tutorial messages. Sense of discovery, art design, map system (yep i love it), enemies and boss encounters, everything is masterfully done. This is one of the few lenghty games without any padded areas or encounters. Each new place has its unique enemies, mini bosses and often main boss.
    A lot of challenging, but always fair encounters that reward the player for improving and learning the patterns of each enemy.
    Hollow Knight is tremendous achievement for Team Cherry. Less than five people team have created one of the most polished games i have played in a long time.
  2. Celeste - I'm a sucker for 2d platformers and oh boy, what a game Celeste is. I love the way how the game introduces each new machanic and this combined with superb level design and satisfying controls makes Celeste a joy to play. Another thing Celeste does right are collectibles. You are constantly rewarded with harder versions of the levels after each collected tape.
  3. Dead Cells - I'm not the biggest fan of roguelike genre, but Dead Cells got me hooked. It got that magic of great games like Spelunky, Enter the Gungeon that makes you replay them so many times until you finally succeed. Took quite long until the higher level weapons drop were unlocked, but overall pretty good game with perfect controls.
  4. Return of the Obra Dinn - Great detective adventure with unique visuals.
  5. God of War - The right way of reimagining the franchise. I had my doubts before release of the game but hey, Cory and his team nailed it! It has by far the best combat system in Gow series and overall good pacing (with few exceptions during second half of the game). However,
    the lack of bosses, lack of set pieces like older games and some lackluster realms were a little disappointing. Very much looking forward to sequel and i have zero doubts it'll be superior game.
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Probably the most ambitious open world game this generation since The Witcher 3 and personally i thought it's the first game by Rockstar with good writing. Things like attention to detail, dialogue and characters are upon the best on that medium.
    As much fun as i had fun with exploration and side stuff, there are things that bother many people, including me. Slow walking on the camp and during story missions is not acceptable anymore and talking about the latter, all of the restrictions and insta-fail moments if you
    move few meters away from the objective are dog shit in an open world title.
  7. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Overall good end of the Kiryu's story. While the game has nowhere near as much content as the rest of Yakuza titles, substories were the best and maybe Y6 had the greatest games selection on club SEGA.
    One thing that disappoints me about latest Yakzua games is complete lack of any challenge on highest difficulty settings.
  8. GRIS - Breath of fresh air after all lenghty games recently. Visually GRIS blew me away and i can say artistically is one of the most impressive games of 2018. Little disappointing was that you get better abilities right around the end of the game.
  9. Detroit: Become Human - Never been a fan of David Cage's works, but Detroit was pleasant surprise and i kinda like it.
    So many dialog choices and so easy to mess up and get one of the characters killed. The game made me feel legit bad, once the things go wrong.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hey, unless you at least partly use the formatting explained in the OP this vote won't be counted.

Hey, thank you as well for the heads up (got a PM from another kind member). I made certain formatting changes. I hope that meets the guidelines because I only played one game of 2018 in 2018 and thankfully the vote bot accepted the vote.

Edit: Ah shit, vote bot thing kind of got messed up.
Edit 2: Fixed.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - An amazing game from start to finish. It was the necessary shake up I felt was needed for the franchise and it exceeded all my hopes and dreams
  2. Dragon Quest XI - The personification of what I want out of a JRPG. Sense of adventure, exciting twists, engaging boss battles and a great cast of characters to get into. Only the music holds it back from perfection
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - The definitive VR experience. When PSVR launched and I played the Robot Rescue demo I hoped for a full game based on it and not only did they do it but made it one of the best platformers i've played in years. Every level is packed with charm, variety and creative ideas. Also the boss battles are some of the most fun i've had in the genre.
  4. Monster Hunter World - Like others i've tried to get into Monster Hunter games in the past but it never clicked with me. I tried once again with Monster Hunter World and it finally clicked. I was hooked and poured hours upon hours into the game. The non zone based worlds, the dynamic interactions of the monsters, and the fun of taking down the beasts in a beautiful looking game made it a blast to experience
  5. Marvel's Spider-man - One of my favorite Spider-man stories ever told outside the comics. A beautifully crafted world that was a joy to zip around, great characters and writing where you knew it came from people that really got the characters. Also the battle system kept me engaging and locked into the ride all the way to the platinum trophy. Which is rare for me
  6. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - I really enjoyed Yakuza 2 back in the day but after years and years of refining their craft in this series they knocked it out of the park with this remake. The new engine is a game changer, the Yakuza 6 adapted systems make the city interactions more meaningful and you can't beat the over the top seriousness and ridiculousness that comes from a Yakuza story
  7. Celeste - The tight platforming controls of Super Meat boy but layered with a surprisingly personal story and a soundtrack that ties it all together and you get Celeste.
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - The attention to detail, the world, the characters, and just the ability to roam the land in a pseudo cowboy sim make this an impressive ride. I didn't find the missions or shooting itself all that fun, but all the other aspects were so strong it kept me going to the end. Its a odd game for me to place as I almost like thinking back and discussing the game more than playing it
  9. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - If this is all I got out of my Bloodstained kickstarter i'd walk away more than pleased. Captures the NES Castlevania 3 vibes to a T but also introduces a lot of their own ideas as well.
  10. Tetris Effect - I don't particularly love Tetris. I respect it of course but rarely seek it out. However I've loved Mizuguchi's games ever since Rez. And the fusion of Teris on top of the audio/visual effects make it a great ride. It used to be Rez, but now I think Tetris Effect is their best game

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - This was an outstanding journey through a long lost Dragon Quest world from consoles. The characters, the world, the story, and everything else drew me in and kept me glued to this game for a long time.
  2. Destiny 2: Forsaken – It's hard to give this one such a high spot, but I have to seeing as it is the game I have played the most and the game I keep going back to for more punishment. This expansion was awesome and reinvented the game though. When you talk about "game-changers" this one qualifies. It's still got flaws and the most recent content update is a joke, but the game is fun to play with friends and the gunplay cannot be matched anywhere. I mean, I have almost 1,000 hours into the game.
  3. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom – I put around 100 hours into this one and I loved the world and just how beautiful everything in it was. It's a shame they cut some corners with it, but it was a great experience regardless.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 – I need to spend more time with it, but the game and world is beautiful an there was lots of hard work put into it.
  5. Monster Hunter World – I finished the main story, but this one but had to stop there. The game is fun with friends, but stressful, frustrating and difficult trying to play solo.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Unforgettable story, awesome cast, absurd levels of immersion & attention to detail -- these are all noteworthy achievements, but the mastery with which the world communicates a time and a place while providing such a rich sense of exploration and emergent narrative is what makes RDR2 truly special.
  2. Monster Hunter World - Some of the most fun and engaging combat I've experienced this generation. Mastering the Charge Blade would've been incredibly rewarding even if the core gameplay loop wasn't so addictive and well executed.
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - A deep, grounded open world immersive sim that chooses history over fantasy. Even small choices feel meaningful and the writing and voice acting on display are top notch.
  4. Subnautica - It can be as tense & horrifying as it can be relaxing. This underwater world is bursting with atmosphere and things to discover. A joy to explore.
  5. Marvel's Spiderman - Endlessly fun, top tier traversal mechanics highlights one the best all around super hero experiences in recent memory, game or otherwise.
  6. Vampyr - Similar to Life is Strange, DontNod takes a supernatural ability/theme and creatively designs the world, gameplay, and story around it, forcing players to tackle relevant moral conundrums along the way.
  7. Shadow of The Colossus - As somber and beautiful as ever.
  8. Soul Calibur VI - A wonderful, long awaited return to form for a classic series.
  9. Conan Exiles - Pure survival wrapped in the bloody dark fantasy lore of the Conan universe.
  10. GRIS - A game with so much heart and beauty that it actually made me forget I dislike platformers.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, thank you as well for the heads up (got a PM from another kind member). I made certain formatting changes. I hope that meets the guidelines because I only played one game of 2018 in 2018 and thankfully the vote bot accepted the vote.

Edit: Ah shit, vote bot thing kind of got messed up.
Edit 2: Fixed.
You have to fixed the size of God of War name (use normal size),your vote was computed as "[*SIZE=18PX]God of War[/SIZE*]",should have show only God of War.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
  1. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate - What can I say that hasn't been said a million times already? Super Smash brothers Ultimate is one of the greatest celebrations of gaming ever made. Every character has tons of love poured into them at ever level. The stages and music are beautiful at times. And most importantly of all. The game is just damn good fun.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man - While the games story may go off the rails in the last act. It is still the best Spider-Man game ever made. Yuri Lowenthal is video game Spider-Man to me thanks to his performance. And I can't wait to see what insomniac does next.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Shenmue I & II - This is 100% a biased pick but the Shenmue games are my two best games of all time. To finally see them re-released on modern consoles is a long time coming and it's great to experience them again.
  2. God of War - Loved everything about this from the combat, exploration and story.
  3. Hitman 2 - The best stealth puzzle-like game around. The maps are amazing and it's a must play for anyone who likes creative and fun games.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - A masterpiece in detail, story and exploration.
  5. Prey: Mooncrash - Love Prey and the main game is one of my favourite games. This is more Prey with a twist that works.
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man - Loved my time with this and traversing the world was great fun.
  7. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - More Yakuza and as fun as always.
  8. Return of the Obra Dinn - A truly unique and interesting puzzle game that can feel very rewarding with the detective setting.

Odoru

Oct 25, 2017
Overall a fun year for games, I wish I had gotten around to playing everything I wanted to(Hitman, Obra Dinn, RDR 2 I'm looking at you)!
  1. Into the Breach – My favorite game of 2018 gives you all of the info you need for every turn, followed by what was generally 10 minutes of staring at the screen debating your next course of action. Every turn a puzzle; deciding the lives of pilots, buildings, and even kaiju, with short term decisions for the map while juggling long term aspirations to set up for the rest of the island. My favorite part is unlocking a team with a radically different toolset than the previous, thinking "these guys aren't as good" and coming out the other end thinking "well this was the best squad!" Just an immensely satisfying package from top to bottom.
  2. Monster Hunter World – I've dabbled in the series before this one but this was the one that finally caught me and took up the better part of my gaming time for the first few months of the year. It straddles the line between being a more accessible entry (those quality of life changes!), while still keeping a good chunk of the complexities and zany charm the series is known for. I can't wait for Iceborne to come out and take up most of my free time this fall.
  3. Celeste – My favorite platformer in years with just a fantastic soundtrack and engaging story. The latter is something I never expected from this type of game, as someone whos battled anxiety and depression it really resonated. I've spent the better part of the year shouting from the mountains for friends and family to check it out.
  4. God of War – "Dog of War"(shout out to my wifes favorite piece of game marketing this year) reinvigorated a franchise that had long since gone stale for me. I loved the swap to Norse mythology, and while I had some qualms with aspects of the story I overall enjoyed its arc. It took a little time for me to adjust to the camera and combat, but after a few hours it felt good and I enjoyed trying out new runic attacks, along with the ever satisfying sound of calling my axe to my hand each fight after chucking it into an enemy. For the first time in a long while I can say I'm excited to see whats next for Kratos.
  5. Dragonball FighterZ – As a huge Dragonball fan but someone who has typically shied away from fighting games, I was both excited and skeptical about this one. Thankfully under the fantastic Dragonball aesthetic there's a very accessible game for newcomers, while still having the deep intricacies for fighting game fans. Hundreds of hours later it's my most played game of the year, my wife bought me a fight stick for Christmas, and I now know what oki means. It's been an incredible gateway to a genre I never knew I wanted a part of, and I look forward to playing it throughout 2019 as well.
  6. Dead Cells – An incredibly polished roguelike with just some really satisfying combat. A full run only takes about an hour, but I never felt like a death wasn't from something out of my hands, and the progression from each run was just enough to make me want to adjust and keep going. Also the last boss felt like quite a step up difficulty wise, but instead of being frustrating it led me to paying extra attention to builds and strategy which was a lot of fun.
  7. Bloodstained Circle of the Moon – A fantastic homage to 8-bit Castlevania(especially Dracula's Curse), even if the main Bloodstained entry doesn't live up to expectations I'm extremely happy we got this out of the package.
  8. Octopath Traveler – This was my most anticipated game of 2018 so I'm happy that it delivered for the most part. I loved the art style, combat, music, and a wide swath of the cast. I was a little disappointed in how little the party interacts with each other; and while what's there of an overarching plot was neat, I wish there was a bit more of it.
  9. Marvel's Spider-Man – Despite its rather bloated and dated open-world design, I had a good time with Spider-Man. Swinging felt great, the combat was fun for most of it, and the story kept me interested through the end. I especially enjoyed the take on the relationship between the primary antagonist and Peter, and the ending setups left me interested to see where Insomniac goes in the sequel.
  10. Donut County – I went into this knowing very little about it beyond "you control a hole" and was really impressed by it. Donut County has a very charming aesthetic going for it, along with some fun puzzles and story. I don't think I ever got tired reading through the "Trashopedia" while listening to the great music. Bonus shout out to the IOS version for giving me a sticker pack that's seen lots of use in my wife and I's text messages!

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10_Main_DBZ.gif

9_Main_Tennis.gif

8_Main_Rainbow.gif

7_Main_Cuts.gif

6_Main_Celetse.gif

5_Main_Hollow.gif

4_Main_Gundeon.gif

3_Main_Smash.gif

2_Main_Dinn.gif

1_Main_Breach.gif

1. Into the Breach - Into the Breach isn't just an amazing game, it also took over my life in 2018. It consumed so many hours of my life. It's everything, i love about a strategy game. Into the Breach challenges your mind and your decision making. You feel like you can overcome any challenge, as longs as you really take the time to think about it. If you lose, you can blame only yourself. 2018 was a year, i really wished this to be true and maybe thinks would be different. My game of the year.
  2. Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope can really take a boring concept and make it into the most amazing game ever. In Return of the Obra Dinn you are an insurance agent, who has to investigate a ship, which went missing and showed up again, and determine how much money all the parties get out of the insurance. But in-game you investigates murders, explore the creepy past of the crew's last moments and get of the core of the ship's tragedy. One of the best detective games to date.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Me and Smash have a long history together and Ultimate is truly a celebration of the series history. Not only has it almost anything all players wished for, it also is at this moment the most balanced in regards of characters, game-balance speed and accessibly. Smash is for me the most fun I can have with a competitive fighting game. So i love Ultimate to death. Through i hope, this is the swan song of its old style. The next Smash should be a total overhaul.
  4. Enter the Gungeon - Welcome in the world of Gungeon, where bullets try to kill you with bullets, while you try to kill them with pillows. It is a crazy game in gameplay and atmosphere, which challenges your reflexes to the max. It was the game of my first vacation this year, which stopped me from playing Skyrim on the Switch. It was this addicted, but I still wasn't able to clear the games once. I really should go back to it and finish it, but I still had a very good time with it.
  5. Hollow Knight - The Indie-scene publishes too many Metroidvanias. Sure many of them are great, but the point of the genre is to get invest in all of its aspects. Learn the mechanics, the design of the world map, the lore, etc. All of this cost a lot of time and energy. That's why, I play maybe one Metroidvania each year and this time i chose Hollow Knight. The chilling atmosphere and amazing game feel made the investment more than worth it.
  6. Celeste - Less is more in Celeste. Its gamplay isn't very complex, the graphics style is a known component and the story just focuses on one characters specific personal problem. But the developers were able to create an amazing deep game by keeping the overall concepts simple. It shows, how much Indie Developer can achieve without big budgets and still creating something more special, then companies with five time the resources could achieve.
  7. Budget Cuts - This is the game I was waiting for, since I got my Vive two years ago. Budget Cut is stealth game with a Portal twist and it is surprisingly scary. If unmerciful robot raises its guns and tries to shoot you in your VR head-set, you naturally get scared and may throw your knife in the wrong direction at point blank. Even through everything is set in a (mostly) colorful office-environment and with a sense of humor. It shows the future of VR games and how emerging 360° VR experiences are.
  8. Rainbow Six Siege - Siege now shows up for three times in a row in my top ten lists. It is a game, which keeps on giving. Every match feels different, because of the players, the opponents, the characters and the change of tactics. Ubisoft still supports the game with patches and new characters. I will properly never be actually good in the game, but I still love to boot it up every few months and have a blast with it.
  9. Mario Tennis Aces - With Mario Tennis Aces Nintendo took there failed attempt of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and transformed it into an amazing concept. Infuse Tennis with a bit of fighting game spirit and you have intense battles happening on the court. The craziest part is the KO rule, where you can get an instated win, when you destroy the racket of the other player. I really like game, but I wish everything around the game, would feel as fresh.
  10. Dragon Ball FighterZ - Over many generations there were just a few licensed games, which were able to truly capture the source material and translate them into a videogame. Arc System Works was able to do it with Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is an amazing feat, since the series had so many different tries over decades and it may be the best one. I hope, that in the future Japanese Developers will continue to analyze the game and capture the love its creators had for the franchise.

diobrando74

Nov 11, 2017
  1. God Of War - It's a must-buy if you own a PS4. A triumph of graphic, gameplay and storytelling.
  2. Shadow Of The Colossus - This is how to do a remaster of an eternal masterpiece.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - Puddlegate lol. The best Spider-Man game to date.
  4. H1Z1: Battle Royale - A game where everybody drops from the sky with parachutes and it is basically The Hunger Games.
  5. Detroit: Become Human - A typical David Cage game with all its strengths and weaknesses. It's still great news, right?
  6. Vampyr - Some people think that I look like the main vampire guy.

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
  1. Into the Breach -
    Into the Breach isn't just an amazing game, it also took over my life in 2018. It consumed so many hours of my life. It's everything, i love about a strategy game. Into the Breach challenges your mind and your decision making. You feel like you can overcome any challenge, as longs as you really take the time to think about it. If you lose, you can blame only yourself. 2018 was a year, i really wished this to be true and maybe thinks would be different. My game of the year.
  2. Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope can really take a boring concept and make it into the most amazing game ever. In Return of the Obra Dinn you are an insurance agent, who has to investigate a ship, which went missing and showed up again, and determine how much money all the parties get out of the insurance. But in-game you investigates murders, explore the creepy past of the crew's last moments and get of the core of the ship's tragedy. One of the best detective games to date.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -
    Me and Smash have a long history together and Ultimate is truly a celebration of the series history. Not only has it almost anything all players wished for, it also is at this moment the most balanced in regards of characters, game-balance speed and accessibly. Smash is for me the most fun I can have with a competitive fighting game. So i love Ultimate to death. Through i hope, this is the swan song of its old style. The next Smash should be a total overhaul.
  4. Enter the Gungeon -
    Welcome in the world of Gungeon, where bullets try to kill you with bullets, while you try to kill them with pillows. It is a crazy game in gameplay and atmosphere, which challenges your reflexes to the max. It was the game of my first vacation this year, which stopped me from playing Skyrim on the Switch. It was this addicted, but I still wasn't able to clear the games once. I really should go back to it and finish it, but I still had a very good time with it.
  5. Hollow Knight -
    The Indie-scene publishes too many Metroidvanias. Sure many of them are great, but the point of the genre is to get invest in all of its aspects. Learn the mechanics, the design of the world map, the lore, etc. All of this cost a lot of time and energy. That's why, I play maybe one Metroidvania each year and this time i chose Hollow Knight. The chilling atmosphere and amazing game feel made the investment more than worth it.
  6. Celeste -
    Less is more in Celeste. Its gamplay isn't very complex, the graphics style is a known component and the story just focuses on one characters specific personal problem. But the developers were able to create an amazing deep game by keeping the overall concepts simple. It shows, how much Indie Developer can achieve without big budgets and still creating something more special, then companies with five time the resources could achieve.
  7. Budget Cuts -
    This is the game I was waiting for, since I got my Vive two years ago. Budget Cut is stealth game with a Portal twist and it is surprisingly scary. If unmerciful robot raises its guns and tries to shoot you in your VR head-set, you naturally get scared and may throw your knife in the wrong direction at point blank. Even through everything is set in a (mostly) colorful office-environment and with a sense of humor. It shows the future of VR games and how emerging 360° VR experiences are.
  8. Rainbow Six Siege -
    Siege now shows up for three times in a row in my top ten lists. It is a game, which keeps on giving. Every match feels different, because of the players, the opponents, the characters and the change of tactics. Ubisoft still supports the game with patches and new characters. I will properly never be actually good in the game, but I still love to boot it up every few months and have a blast with it.
  9. Mario Tennis Aces -
    With Mario Tennis Aces Nintendo took there failed attempt of Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and transformed it into an amazing concept. Infuse Tennis with a bit of fighting game spirit and you have intense battles happening on the court. The craziest part is the KO rule, where you can get an instated win, when you destroy the racket of the other player. I really like game, but I wish everything around the game, would feel as fresh.
  10. Dragon Ball FighterZ -
    Over many generations there were just a few licensed games, which were able to truly capture the source material and translate them into a videogame. Arc System Works was able to do it with Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is an amazing feat, since the series had so many different tries over decades and it may be the best one. I hope, that in the future Japanese Developers will continue to analyze the game and capture the love its creators had for the franchise.

You put a lot of work on this, but please bold your titles or else your vote won't get counted.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
  1. Monster Hunter World - Finally a modern iteration on this franchise, and on console, too. I've been waiting for this for so long, and all the QoL improvements are wonderful. Sunk 100+ hours into it, though I'm admittedly a little burnt out. I'll still probably get the Iceborne expansion in a few months, though.
  2. Vampyr - This game is my surprise of the year. With all the middling reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect, but having received it for Christmas and playing it non-stop in the following days, I can say it's much better than the sum of its parts. It's an utterly engrossing experience, delivered in an amazingly tightly crafted London full of atmosphere and morbid (un)life. Combat is not nearly as awful as people have been saying; it's in fact pretty good. I liked how you have to constantly refill your blood bar to unleash your more powerful abilities (either by stunning enemies and feeding on them, or refilling your blood bar with off-hand weapons), and it features some decent boss fights too. The trade-off of feeding on NPCs in exchange for massive XP boosts is really noticeable, making those prey you do choose to devour even more savoury. Some of your choices carry heavy consequences either. And the more you get invested in the lives of the citizens of London, the more those choices become difficult and the more those consequences become heart-breaking. And oh man, the music when you choose to lure your prey to a dark corner to feed on them... seriously, that MUSIC~~
    Don't sleep on this one. It's a fantastic vampire adventure game and one of the best games I've played this year. I never expected it to rank so high, but that's how legit it is. The biggest downside is the lack of a NG+ to see how different choices play out. You can always just create new save file (and maybe play it on Story Mode to breeze through the combat), but that's a bit of a bummer.
    I even made a thread about this game. And I almost never make threads!
  3. Octopath Traveler - It's the kind of JRPG I've been wanting for so long. Best combat system I've seen in a JRPG, with addictive "action paths" mechanics for town exploration, a wondrous OST and beautiful art.
  4. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I thought I'd have enough of Origins and I could wait before sinking my teeth into that one, but someone generously gifted me a key a few weeks back and... well, it devoured my life. This game is huge. A bit too much. But, well, its gameplay loop is addictive, its world is beautiful and intricately detailed, and it even has a pretty decent story too. And Kassandra is just that damn cool.
  5. God of War - I wasn't planning on even getting that one. Not a fan of the franchise at all. Even the raving reviews didn't sway me. But, people whose taste I trust also claimed it was good, including the combat (which was my biggest worry). So I got it for my birthday and gave it a shot, and... yeah, it's pretty damn solid. Not a flawless masterpiece but still much better than I expected.
  6. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - Finally on console! Waited so long for this and then World came out and I just kinda lost interest, but I did get it on Switch for Christmas and managed to get back into classic MH. It's not just more Monster Hunter. It's more, more, and more Monster Hunter. This game has so much content it's kind of insane. Send help~
  7. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - It's Wonder Boy. Except in glorious 2D HD, and with modern polish/QoL enhancements. In other words, it's amazing. A few years ago, I never thought this would ever happen to this franchise, and I'm so, so glad to be wrong.
  8. CrossCode - I was a backer on Indiegogo all the way back in... 2015? Time sure flies. Anyway this game did not disappoint. An amazing blend of retro Ys, Zelda, and a cool little sci-fi story with tons of content. People really should not sleep on that one.
  9. Death's Gambit - A nice indie 2D "Souls-like" with gorgeous art and fun combat. This had a rough release and was a mild disappointment because of that, but patches have improved it a lot. Worth checking out if you like... ahem, "Casoulvania" games... (I didn't make this one up, it wasn't me!)
  10. Iconoclasts - Another nice indie Metroidvania, though this one is far more puzzle-oriented, with combat being basically an afterthought.
  11. Dark Souls Remastered
  12. La-Mulana 2

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I didn't really think I could like another Smash game after Melee but this playes great and the spirt mode is so much fun. I didn't think the lack of trophies wouldn't bother me but Spirits are a great way to mix and match.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - One of the most immersive games I've ever played. I love the pacing and the slow nature really lets you take in the scenes.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - I was kinda shocked just how into the story I got. Peter is really fleshed out and is super relate-able.
  4. Octopath Traveler - A fantastic JRPG. A great art-style and the freedom to play the game at the pace you want.
  5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - I love these type of RPGs. Just putting you in a time period and letting you discover
  6. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tale - Another fantastic game by one of the best game devs out there. Takes the fun Gwent gameplay and mixes in a great story and a fantastic presentation.
  7. Lumines Remastered - A perfect pick up and play game for the switch. Puzzles and Music both get me relaxed.
  8. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Another JRPG on my list. Didn't really see myself getting into it but the story is gripping.
  9. Gwent: The Witcher Card Game - Secretly the best card game released. Companies like Valve should look at the real kings of PC dev CDProjek Red
  10. Fire Pro Wrestling World - What wrestling games should be. You can create any wrestler make them feel different which is tougher than you might think.
  11. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - I wasn't the biggest fighting game person but going through each game I can see why the series is so revered.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - A great reinvention of the franchise in a fresh setting that has managed to turn Kratos into a compelling character.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - An incredibly immersive open world experience, slightly let down by the restrictive mission design.
  3. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - A fitting and emotional end to one character's journey.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus - The original is one of my favourite games ever and SOTC 2018 is a more than worthy remake.
  5. Marvel's Spiderman - A spectacular first effort that will hopefully serve as a stepping stone to a superior and truly amazing sequel, Spider-Man's biggest flaw is that its open world design is as inventive as the puns in this sentence.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
  1. Yakuza Kiwami 2
    CrJqobJ.jpg

The absolute pinnacle of Yakuza. Kiwami 2 takes everything about the original, which was already a high water mark of the series to begin with, and manages to improve on it while still retaining the essence of 2006's Yakuza 2 and what made it so great. The best story of the entire saga, the best villain and the best romance, all return with an updated, fleshed-out combat system, a wealth of wacky side content and the graphical flourishes of the Dragon engine, this time sans the screen tearing that plagued 6. A nigh-on perfect remake.
  2. Detroit: Become Human
    HbBIJHB.jpg

Many's the time a game has bandied the phrase 'Your choices matter!' in its promotional material, only to fail to deliver on its promise with a story that barely diverges. Not so with Detroit. In a generation where AAA gaming is a dick-measuring contest of who can create the biggest open world, the linear environments yet sprawling narrative structure of Quantic Dream's latest interactive movie is a far more impressive achievement in my mind, and it's crazy just how much a single playthrough can alter from somebody else's. Huge portions of the game can and will be missed entirely, and when you consider the real consequences that your choices can have, the stakes are raised and the game's events become so much more engrossing as a result. This ambitious form of storytelling is aided by phenomenal graphical fidelity, eerily lifelike animation and committed performances by its cast, a noteworthy standout being Bryan Dechart, who manages to inject the monotone machine Connor with enough subtle charm to make him utterly lovable, providing you play him that way of course. All in all, Detroit: Become Human is a welcome redemption story for Quantic Dream after the damp squib that was Beyond, and it has wholly restored my faith in studio.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
    ejJxXxI.jpg

Despite my misgivings with the PSVR hardware itself, which I find uncomfortable to wear and ultimately too underpowered, I still find myself smitten with Astro Bot, an endlessly charming and imaginative platformer that constantly manages to insert new tricks into an old genre. It's a game that single-handedly convinced me VR is more than just a gimmick, using its unique tech to bring an added layer of immersion and sense of 'place' to otherwise traditional 3D platforming. Using your body to look around nooks and crannies in the search for collectables, physically dodging incoming attacks and essentially being the camera in a series of set-pieces like a high-speed mine cart chase is just magical, and brings me back to the awe I felt when gaming was unshackled from the confines of 2D and started exploring 3D spaces for the first time.
  4. God of War
    087aYka.jpg

Add me to the legion of gamers who rejected the God of War franchise early on because Kratos was such a resounding twuntbucket of epic proportions. In one fell swoop this reboot managed to pull me back in, render me emotionally invested in the plight of its central duo and convince me that the Greek slaphead was something more than the one-note, intensely detestable rage machine of the first game. The overhauled combat system deserves a special mention too, which is far more involving, varied and satisfying to control than what came before.
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2
    YtaeTaS.jpg

A wholly frustrating game, because with a few tweaks here and there this easily could've been my game of the year, but Rockstar had to squander the game's masterpiece status by doubling down on the huffing of its own farts. In many aspects, the game is flawless. The performances and writing are unanimously excellent, and the attention to detail and staggering amount of work gone into its world-building is awe-inspiring at times. Even someone as disenfranchised with vast open-world fields/forests/anything-with-trees-in-it as me was impressed with how alive and lush the environments were. I just wish it didn't take so damn long to do, well... just about anything! Sluggish controls I can adapt to, braindead whack-a-mole gunfights I can tolerate, but in a game as long as this, in a world as big as this, forcing me to walk in camp and denying me a means to fast travel conveniently became too much by the end. I'm a Shenmue fan, I can handle mundanity as much as the next person, but god I wish Red Dead Redemption 2 wasn't so damn content being so damn slow. To avoid getting too bogged down in negativity though, I will say that RDR2 contains my favourite and most emotionally-impactful moment of 2018 - the culmination of the money lending missions. I don't want to spoil it too much for folks who haven't played the game yet, but seeing good guy Arthur declare enough is enough and act upon the disgust of his own actions made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
  6. Celeste
    oy3g5uU.jpg

An all-round excellent fusion of story and platforming, much like Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (but not quite as memorable as that genre classic). Not sure what else to say really, except that it made me tear my hair out and strive to keep getting better.
  7. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
    H0GZ3O4.jpg

I got this for Christmas, so unfortunately I'm not even close to finishing it yet, but based on the 40 or so hours I've poured into it so far, Dragon Quest XI is a wonderful JRPG featuring a supporting cast of colourful and deeply endearing characters, a world that screams adventure and some pleasingly traditional turn-based combat that serves as a reminder of why I fell in love with this genre in the first place. Shame that the music is so ear-screechingly awful though.
  8. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    326IIH2.jpg

A mid-tier Yakuza entry, which still manages to be better than 99% of all games that get released these days, such is the quality of the series. Kazuma Kiryu's last hurrah perhaps introduces far more new faces than was necessary, when instead it should have placed more focus on Kazuma's relationship with his older colleagues, not to mention it all gets very silly during the climactic showdown. Otherwise, Yakuza 6 is the same winning blend of intense drama and comic absurdity that fans have come to treasure over the years. The cosy vibes of fishing town Onomichi and a much-needed revamp of the engine (you can enter a building without a loading screen now!) are welcome additions to the long-running franchise, and while it hurts to bid a final farewell to one of the greatest video game protagonists of all time, come the bittersweet final scene there is no small measure of comfort knowing he got the send off he deserved.
  9. Moss
    cIIhXye.jpg

A quaint puzzle-based adventure that was over far more quickly than I would have liked. I loved how, through the utilisation of VR, I felt like I was a spectator overlooking a series of meticulously-crafted dioramas; little miniature sets imbued with atmosphere and wonder that were a joy to explore and interact with. And as short as the game is, it was nice for once to be left wanting more during the end credits rather than feeling relieved that it was all finally over.
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man
    RxxuANn.jpg

It's amazing how much a game can coast by on its traversal alone if said traversal is liberating and exhilarating to control and never grows old. Spider-Man suffers from some landfill open-world design, with plenty of bog-standard, repetitive objectives to tick off a list, not to mention some truly abominable stealth segments that accompany the main campaign, but so much of it can be forgiven because you really do feel like the world's most popular superhero while playing it. Everything about this game feels so right when you're swinging from one waypoint to the next that you can't help but question why it has a full-fledged fast travel system in place and Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't. Extra points for the top-tier production values.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
  1. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Key word here is surprise. I have never played a game that was quite this delightfully surprising and it did it constantly. Not only is it solid as a 3D platformer but just the amount of imagination the designers have put into this title is mindblowing even to a VR veteran. Almost every level has some unique hook or gimmick to keep you wanting more and never does it feel it's getting stale or running out of steam. Pure fun from beginning to end. Also very smart for them to separate normal levels and challenge levels allowing the exploration in VR to breathe in normal levels while focusing on fast and tight gameplay on separate ones most of the normal levels only have in short bursts.
  2. God of War - Another surprise, I assumed I would like the title but not quite this much. I think thus far it's the best game yet in the narratively focused ''Sony formula''. Special shoutout especially to meaningful exploration with great rewards to the player and rock solid gameplay with tons of combat options.
  3. World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth - I actually don't like ranking it this high since the expansion is a bit poopoo but there is no denying the underlying gameplay and especially the influence of Legion can still be felt beyond the dissapointing parts. Running Mythic+ is still an absolute blast and while I thought the raid was quite underwhelming in design it was still just as fun as ever to get in with everyone and spend some quality time trying to down some hard as nails bosses. Despite the MANY flaws it has I did have a great time on the PVE content I chose to focus on.
  4. Beat Saber - Funny enough I think this title isn't quite as much about clever use of VR like AB as it's the controllers. This is the Wii lightsaber game people were wishing for turned into a rhythm game and I do love me some rhythm games. While the songs for the most part aren't that much my jam the gameplay more than makes up for it. Very fun game to play and you can make it a workout if you feel like it.
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - Very solid Spidey game, pretty much what most people expected I'd assume. Movement is obviously the high point of this but it does feel a little bit too ''basic open world game'' at times, especially when it comes to side missions that could have been a bit more exciting for a title of this magnitude. Hopefully the sequel goes all out on the side activities but as said, overall very solid game and didn't overstay it's welcome like so many other even great open worlds.
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Feel good remaster of the year. Even the third game that supposedly was a bit of a hassle to get completed I didn't have any problems with. Looks amazing, great price point and just a very chill game to play.
  7. Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - Like with WoW I wouldn't say the expansion is among the best the series has had but the underlying gameplay is mostly still rock solid and Rise and Fall does give it a breath of fresh air Civ6 desperately needed IMO. Always a fun time with this one.
  8. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - Pretty fun lil Metroidvania experience for this year. Not quite Hollow Knight level of good and it takes a bit to really get going but it's a jolly adventure. Love the artstyle and presentation, always a big plus from me if you got em secrets in your game.
  9. Celeste - Great little platforming gem. I would say the atmosphere is one of the strong points for this title I don't see many mention. While I have this irrational dismissal of most pixel art indies these days this is one of those that overcome it no problemo.
  10. Tetris Effect - Well, it's Tetris so you can't go wrong and the audiovisual presentation is very good, not surprisingly. That said I wouldn't say the VR is quite as impressive for me as some seem to regard it.
Once again this year it feels it came to an end way too soon. Bunch of titles that probably would have made the list if I spend a little more time with them or had the time to even start them. Many curiosities like Deracine, Firewall or Persistence didn't quite make it before I got way too busy late in the year. Also many long games that I just couldn't find the time to really dive into yet. Special shout out to DQ11, Pillars 2 and VC4. Also while I don't own a Switch yet I think Smash would definitely have ranked in there, possibly very high if the online worked better than in Brawl. Also what time I did spend on Monster Hunter was very good but not quite enough for me to feel good about including it in a ranked list of games I was more familiar with.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Tetris effect - A dream announcement that i'd always wanted with an execution that exceeded my expectations. Building off the synesthesia effects of Rez, Lumines, and Child of Eden, a Tetris game that brought me to tears on several occasions. Not just my game of the year, but a game I will play for the next 20 years. Incredible
  2. Celeste - Beautiful all around. From it's spritework, music, story, and themes.
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - A game franchise I thought I may be done with, but this one really surprised me with an incredible and beautifully realized world, fun gameplay, and a seemingly endless amount of content and post release support. The story may be fairly contrived, but the characters and scenarios were quite memorable. Currently sits as one of my favourite open world games.
  4. Monster Hunter World - A fantastic evolution on the franchise, it's limited amount of environments did hold it back from being my favourite, but shows this often someone stagnant series can still evolve. Looking forward to where it goes from here.
  5. Battlefield V - While launching a little rough around the edges its changes to it's gameplay formula quickly won me over, and it's roadmap and content stream seem very promising. This really captures the Battlefield spirit with it's focus on squad play, limited resources, and support roles. Really fantastic direction for the series, and I can't wait for what's to come.
  6. Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 - Though only having played the first episode so far, and I would say it's my least favourite of the introduction chapters, the game's premise and characters have huge potential and I still enjoyed it immensely. For anyone curious, I would definitely recommend it. It's themes are surprisingly topical.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
  1. Celeste - Celeste is a game that is not only a platformer with countless hours of content, it tells a story so personal that it kept me engaged until the end. The game also has one of the most memorable soundtracks in recent memory. The addition of the B-sides remixes also has some truly phenomenal tracks to complement a already stellar soundtrack.
  2. Marvel's Spiderman - Insomniac captures the swinging of Spider Man 2 and puts it in a open world that is both gorgeous and addictive to explore. The quality of the story and voice acting is so well done that I enjoyed it far more than the bulk of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I can't wait for the inedible sequel.
  3. Tetris Effect - Since playing Rez Infinite I fell in love with the style of games Tetsuya Mizuguchi helps create. Upon seeing the trailer at E3 this year I know that I would adore this game and I was not wrong. The addition of the zone mechanic also helps it feel unique from other Tetris games is extremely satisfying.
  4. Dragonball FighterZ - What Arc System Works is capable of doing with graphics will always be impressive. To see that applied to characters as iconic as Goku and company takes it to a new level of appreciation.
  5. Monster Hunter World - One of the most addicting games to play with friends. Working together, organizing hunts and working towards a common goal is so satisfying. The amount of weapon variety as well keeps the game fresh for countless hours.
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Like with Crash these remasters took the games of my youth and made them gorgeous. Sure when I say that Spyro 2 is one of my favorite games ever there may be some nostalgia involved, but I don't care I will always love these games. As well I love the inclusion of the original OST, but the arranged stuff is also incredible.
  7. God of War - Kratos is back with a beard and a child in Norse mythology. Despite a slow start this game rejuvenates a franchise and implements a story that is far more personal than the previous entries.
  8. Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - This is the game that got me into playing real life Warhammer. A really fun game to kill time with. Really good atmosphere and soundtrack.
  9. Dead Cells - At first impression I liked this game a lot, but once I beat the final boss my appreciation started to wain a bit. Either way the movement of the game feels great.
  10. State of Decay 2 - A fun simulation of surviving in the Zombie apocalypse. Not too memorable as I would have liked. A good podcast game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War – My Game of the generation. Masterful gameplay-reboot with everything else intact, that made the series so outstanding in the first place.
  2. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire – I couldn't finish it yet but everything so far is exactly what I expected from the sequel to my favorite CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2.
  3. Yakuza 6 – Sadly the last chapter in the Kiryu saga, so this game leaves me with one smiling and one crying eye. It has been a wild ride over the past 14 years.
  4. Monster Hunter World – The Monster Hunter game I was waiting for. Modernized in the right areas without tainting the deep gameplay mechanics.
  5. Spider-Man – Probably the best superhero game ever made with great characters, story and gameplay. Only few games feel as intuitive and smooth to play as this one.
  6. Astrobot – This is one of the most charming games and best 3D-platformers of all time. It's surreal how great this feels in VR. Truly the next level and more proof that VR should be a big part of the future of gaming.
  7. Dragon Quest XI – A return to form for this long-lasting series. Outstanding charm, oldschool gameplay and fun characters.
  8. Firewall: Zero Hour – A fully fleged tactical shooter built from the ground for VR was always something I wanted. And with the AIM controller this truly comes to life. It's really intense and another fantastic VR expierence.
  9. Octopath Traveler – I am still working my way through all the stories, but this is a great JRPG-grinder: Deep party customization, awesome battle-system, lots of gear and a big world that can be freely explored.
  10. Detroit: Become Human – Another great interactive movie / adventure with awesome production value. I actually liked Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls a bit more, but nontheless this is a great interactive experience.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
My GOTY picks:
c6573de167155582634bkzk5i.jpeg

1. Exapunks - I am a huge fan of the Zachtronics "programming game" gameplay concept, but the thematic framing of why you solve all those puzzles has often seemed like an afterthought. I was honestly surprised by how well they addressed that major limitation from previous games here. The hacker story provides a reason to progress through the game beyond the satisfaction to solve every puzzle, and the puzzles themselves are elevated by being relevant to the story. Combine that with some of the best puzzles in the genre (where the competition mostly consists of the previous games from the same developer), and you have a truly special game on your hands!
  2. Dead Cells - As a great admirer of expertly crafted metroidvania level design, I was hesitant to try this weird genre mashup between a metroidvania style platforming game and randomized roguelike experience. Somehow this game pulls it off much better than previous attempts like Rogue Legacy or Spelunky. It strikes the delicate balance of being just difficult enough, while providing a comfortably rigid structure and having enough clarity to its gameplay mechanics to be enjoyable to play. The game reminded me of the brilliant Binding of Isaac in its addictiveness.
  3. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - A fantastic CRPG experience that invites you to explore a meticulously designed mega city in its middle section. I am not sure that I liked the ship-bound exploration of a large number of small islands as much, but the big city was a bag of riches of CRPG level design.
  4. God of War - A linear AAA experience that gets just about everything right. It has a great comic book story that starts out with the weird fanfic like idea to combine Kratos with norse mythology, and somehow manages to tell a grounded story about a father going out on an epic journey with his son. The visual design is fantastic, from details like how Kratos throws his axe, how enemies like the gigantic trolls are presented, to the fantastic use of far away scenery to guide your journey, especially the ever-present mountain! The actual combat is pretty similar to that in the previous games in some ways, but the addition of your son to execute some special abilities spices things up, and is of course a great thematic fit considering the structure of the story.
  5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - The same great combat and stealth oriented gameplay systems from Assassin's Creed Origins, but placed in a game that has a vastly more ambitious story, a greatly expanded quest system that features dialogue trees and meaningful choices, a more interesting setting in ancient Greece, and a superior protagonist (at least if you pick Kassandra).
  6. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - This started out as a very traditional JRPG experience, to the point where I lost interest and put the game away for a couple of months. The awful MIDI soundtrack out of the box probably contributed to my decision. After applying the orchestral soundtrack mod, I gave the game another try, and it started to shine for me. This is a JRPG with multiple highly detailed cities, and in general an abundance of detailed 3d maps to explore. The game is chock-full of hidden chests, NPCs to speak with and minor quests wherever you look. The visual design and the orchestral soundtrack are great in my opinion. The combat is pretty easy for most of the game, and not the strongest point the game has to offer. The greatness of the game will probably be contested by many, but I liked this enormous, slightly unfocused, old fashioned JRPG experience which seems to have grown out of a respect for genre conventions and probably a total lack of budget constraints.
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - The scale and the quality of the open world map that this game has to offer can not be matched by any other developer. The game has great characters and a well-told story. Other than that, there are some pretty major issues with the gameplay systems in the game. I can see the logic behind grounding the main character to the world by tediously animating every loot pickup and every little action in the game, but in practice you feel too constrained most of the time in a game that should be all about freedom. The quest design also seemed old fashioned in comparison with the competition. I have been trying to get back into the game the last couple of weeks, but I tend to quit the game and play Assassin's Creed Odyssey instead, an open world game that feels great to play all the time …
  8. Timespinner - The throwbacks to SOTN, both in the soundtrack and the visuals, were fun. Moreover, the exploration of the past and present versions of the same world was a great way of structuring the progression loop of unlocking powers to access new areas, while not making the map too confusing. This is the closest any external game has come to emulating the feel of gameplay progression in a SOTN style Castlevania game imo. The weapon variety, the feel of combat and hit reactions were all a notch above most other metroidvanias. The story was light-weight, but there was a lot of optional reading material to pick up if you are into that kind of thing and ready to thoroughly explore.
  9. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Not the most enjoyable game from 2018, but I am really happy that I got to experience this weird realism oriented first person RPG set in medieval Bohemia. It almost feels like an immersive sim at times, which may be a first for the setting.
  10. Iconoclasts - It has the platformy jumpy exploration stuff that you expect, but goes deeper into puzzles and cutscenes than any other metroidvania I can remember. It feels weird at first to play a metroidvania that paces cutscenes and character interactions kind of like a JRPG, but you are sucked into experience due to the mysterious setting and the generally memorable gallery of characters. The puzzles and the puzzle like boss fights are quality stuff. Some platforming fans may be disappointed that this metroidvania denies you a proper double jump for most of the game, but you will never be starved for quality puzzles!
  11. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  12. Life Is Strange 2 – Episode 1: Roads
  13. A Way Out
  14. Far Cry 5
  15. Guacamelee! 2
  16. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
  1. God of War - I don't understand how all the mystical stuff fits together but boy is there a deep combat system here.
  2. DUSK - DUSK understands what was the most fun about mid-90s PC shooters and turns the volume up to 11.
  3. Celeste - It's rare to see games tackle mental illness as the central theme while gamifying it in a way that isn't stupid. Celeste avoids this pitfall. A new platformer enters the pantheon.
  4. Into the Breach - Subset Games could've called this game Chess 2 and they wouldn't have been too far off. An incredible achievement in tight, turn-based design.
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This game is huge and weird and I love and I hate it at the same time. Number 5? SHORE
  6. Donut County - As a garbage man IRL, this game spoke deeply to me. What I wouldn't give for a hole.
  7. Dead Cells - This game made me a believer in rogue-likes and I dare someone else to find a better feeling side-scrolling combat system.
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - The Blackout map doesn't look like Call of Duty! You have to hold to heal yourself?! I love it.
  9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The best version of the originator of the platform-fighter, 20 years in the making.
  10. Tetris Effect - The best version of one of the best games ever.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
  1. UNDERTALE - Even if fans of the game tried their hardest to make me hate this game before I even had a chance to play it, Toby Fox's journey is just too
    impactful to miss the top spot in my list. It's been one of the most whimsical, gripping, interesting experience I had all year, and Itoi'a homages as sincere as this one will always be welcome by me.
  2. Celeste - I don't know how the managed to give an hard as nails retro platformer such an emotional punch. A big part of it is how the music ties into the gameplay, and I didn't experience an OST so perfect and in tune with the game and its players since A Link To The Past. This game is a masterpiece. A perfect package... well almost, damn that mandatory gibberish vo!
  3. God of War - I honestly don't care
    anymore about tripe AAA productions, which doesn't mean I don't like my games to have a big budget... it's just that unfortunately we'll never see a $50M shmup funded! But in the sea of Ubisoft's samey open-world collectathons, as a single-player games aficionado (Although one whom, now in his 40s, barely fires up his non-hybrid consoles anymore if not for Netflix) I find that Sony's 1st Party Studios keep doubling down consistently bringing their A-Game and manage to suck me in their productions. God of War continued that tradition, an enjoyable game all around.
  4. Into The Breach -
  5. Hollow Knight -
  6. Spider-Man -
  7. Night In The Woods- Barely a game. But a great experience that only this medium could have brought to life in this way, and for that I'm glad it was a game and not just an animated short.
  8. Overcooked 2 - For the hours of fun with friends and family. P
  9. Forza Horizon 4 -
  10. Subsurface Circular -

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
  1. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - I'm 46, been playing games forever, and i usually go after single player plot driven games, your typical AAA game. I also never felt 'joy' playing games, in a literal way. I've been amazed, surprised, excited, many things, and have enjoyed a lot this hobby, but never before i had been smiling all the f*ing time with a game. And this is what Astrobot was for me. Like discovering videogames again in a way i had never done before. In fact i usually don't like platformers very much, but this game is something else. Pure concentrated enjoyment and happiness. Every level tops the previous one, that is just amazing. Team Asobi should be gifted with AAA budget for a sequel.
  2. God of War - In a world without the game above, GoW would be Goty for me probably 95% of the years. I really loved previous God of war games, especially their take on mythology, and being spectacular action games without the need of being a pro to enjoy them . But this one is simply amazing, keeps the things i loved about the previous ones:mythology, a fest to the eyes and added a great and interesting plot, taken almost to perfection by the way it is presented. It also has a very rewarding , complex combat system that even me, not very good at these kind of games, really enjoyed and felt like a badass. The sequel to this game is probably my most wanted game along TLoU2 right now.
  3. Moss - Again VR... A game changer no doubt. Moss is a simple puzzle game with a bit of action and a fairy tale presentation. But the difference is you are inside it. And that is what makes it wonderful. You feel really part of the story, that you are helping Quill, she's so cute btw, and she is aware of your presence. Only complains are, is a bit too short, and some minor control issues. Can't wait for Book 2!
  4. Beat Saber - More VR!! Yes, and again a game genre i have always ignored. But this one is amazing! You feel like a Jedi in a disco playing with his light sabers! Feedback from move controllers is great too! I hope they add more songs to make it endless.
  5. Hollow Knight - I bought it hesitant about it, I'm a huge SOTN fanboy, and never has really come close to it for me. And after almost dropping the game after 3-4h it clicked and he we are, probably the best metroidvania game since SOTN, great art, sound and music, long and with different areas to explore. My complains: too difficult, and also puts your patience to test with difficulty combined with save points (benches) quite far from each other and some not really close to certain bosses or zones, so you'll spend quite a few hours just going through the same areas to reach were you got killed. The game also doesn't really tell what to do next so you'll also spend a lot of time searching a new ability or item to reach me areas. Game needs patience but it's really good. Also, play it on TV, art and animation really shines there, much more than in handheld mode.
  6. Marvel's Spiderman - Really great superhero game, spectacular, fun combat, decent plot for a superhero game, great visuals, really fun to just web swing around. My complain would be the too artificial way of running on walls, just too fast, i guess it is made with playability in mind, but felt really off.

There are a few candidates i wanna play, but backlog is huge, so games like Detroit, or RDR2 will have to wait.

I also played other candidates but really didn't feel they should be in any Goty list:
Spyro Trilogy: feels bland and controls/camera are a bit.. unpolished? I expected more, my daughters have left it behind.
Mario Tennis Aces: plays good, but game design, the story mode, is just awful, plus loading times ,are really bad, since it is not a very complex game, it should be faster changing matches, options repeating failed missions etc. Should've been a budget prices game, feels like that.
Pokemon let's go: i will never understand the appeal of Pokemon. And my daughters, the ones that made me buy it, dropped the game after a few hours (they play Astrobot and Beat Saber instead, lol)
Mario party: it is a party game, fun sometimes, but nothing great or memorable
Kirby Star Allies: really boring game.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
  1. A way out - Have not have so much fun while playing with someone else and it was the first time I really felt for the main characters to the end, almost crying at the credits because of it.
  2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Is like playing Brawl again. Super-loved Brawl back in the day and now Ultimate is my new favorite. Best crossover ever and WoL made it even better. I am loving all the reference to video game history so much
  3. God of War - Based on what I have played I can't wait to see how it ends and the gameplay feel so great between the action and adventure part.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
  1. God of War - I bought a PS4 when it was announced, and would be worth it even if I had not played any other game.
  2. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - A childhood dream come true.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman
  4. Monster Hunter World
  5. Shadow of the Colossus
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  7. Shenmue I & II
  8. Deltarune
  9. Red Dead Redemption 2
  10. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - I doubted whether Sony Santa Monica could pull off the gameplay switch and whether they could salvage Kratos as a character. But after the glowing reviews, I gave the game a chance. And it blew me away. The changed setting instantly makes the game feel fresh, but of course the change in gameplay is even more pronounced. And they nail both elements. The world is beautiful and feels like a real love letter to the Norse myths. The changes they made to the characters and timeline still feel true to the original interpretation of the characters, even if they might be surprising at times. The open linear structure of the game encourages you to explore this wonderful world, which often reward you with some of the best content in the game. The game not being fully open world helps making the game still feel like a focused and tight experience, even if it's much longer than the previous games. The gameplay still feels oddly familiar, even with the changed perspective. A light attack, a heavy attack, being able to juggle enemies, blocking, parrying, and dodging. It's still a character action game, it's still God of War. Yet, it's far more deliberate. Far more than in the previous games, you're forced to think about what you need to do. Which leads to encounters being a lot more engaging than they were before. The story succeeds both in saving Kratos' character and keeping him connected to the old Kratos. You can easily see how this is Kratos after doing a lot of reflection, after being changed and influenced by his wife and son. And throughout the game, you can feel the impact Atreus has on him and how life there is, yet again, another way to live and love through this harsh world. Atreus, Freya, Baldur, and Mimir are excellent additions to the cast as well, nuanced, believable, and interesting.

In the beginning of the game, Kratos cremates his wife and vows to spread her ashes at the highest point of all the realms. When Atreus asks him if he can carry her ashes, Kratos refuses. He'll do it himself. Even though the last time he started carrying his wife's ashes it drove him to madness. Even though he still carries those ashes with him on his skin. Even though he can never get rid of them, never release them to the sky like he will do for Faye. Still, this time he will do it voluntarily. This time, it's different. And at the end of the journey, Kratos stands with Atreus at the top of the world. So many years ago, he stood in a similar spot. Back then, he flung himself off a mountain to try and rid himself of his painful memories, of the ash of his wife and son that he could not escape any other way. Now, however, Kratos and Atreus fulfill their promise to Faye and her ashes are given to wind, while Kratos remains on the earth. Of course, the ash on his skin stays, as it has done for so long, as it will always do. At the end, we're reminded that however Kratos changes, whatever he does, wherever he goes, he will always carry his earlier sins with him.
  2. Divinity: Original Sin II - Even better than the first game, which was already excellent. The game is unparalleled in the freedom it gives to the player. There are a ton of attributes, talents, and skills and you can mix and match to your heart's content to tailor all your characters perfectly to your liking. Which in turn creates a lot of variation in the combat, as certain skills allow you different options of exploiting the environment through positioning, barrels, surfaces, or clouds. The AI is pretty relentless as well, forcing you to make smart moves to survive. But the most important bit of freedom you have is in all the different ways to tackle any quest in the game. There is never just one answer, or one way to approach a quest. A small item somewhere might provide you with another answer to a speech check, or a character trait might unlock an avenue of approach that would otherwise be closed. Even when you seem to completely mess up a quest, there always seems to be some other interesting out of the box way that the designers came up with. As for the story, the writing is sharp and the dialogues extremely well written. All the origin characters are the best and most interesting of course, but there are plenty of NPCs that are real highlights as well. And there's just so much content. Quests in areas that seemed just to be filler, dozens of quests or dialogues in small areas, and multiple environments to pass through and role play in a way that you cannot do in any other game.
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man - This game hooks you from the first minute. I was in love after just a couple of moments of swinging through the beautifully realized Manhattan cityscape. And by the end of the game, I was still in love. It never got old. The combat if fun, fast, and varied as well. Compared to the Batman games, you feel more in control of Spidey because he doesn't stick to enemies, doesn't glide long distances to find a target, and he can use all his traversal powers in combat to escape or approach the encounter a different way. The story and characters are great, leading to a fantastic final encounter. And who can forget J. Jonah Jameson, one of the highlights of this year. The game is let down by having too many copy-and-paste side missions and some boring forced stealth sections. But then you swing through Manhattan again and all is well.
  4. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - A beautiful send-off for Kazuma Kiryu. I spent the first couple of hours marveling at what the new engine could do. All the interiors and the seamless transitions really make the world come alive and feel more real than ever before. Couple that with the first person mode and I was floored. The story and characters (mostly) show they've really turned a page since 0. Onomichi and the characters that inhibit it are some of the best characters in the series and they elevate the story to great heights. It's only let down by the destruction of Haruka's character and the ending which did not dare fully commit, but tried to please everyone. Controls and combat are slightly worse than 0 and Kiwami, which is weird, but it's thankfully nothing major as the game is still very fun to play.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - This is one of my favorite games of all time and the remake is a real work of love by Bluepoint. The world is hauntingly beautiful, without losing the feeling of desolation and loneliness that the original managed to convey so well. The Colossi themselves are stunning as well and, most importantly, they fixed up the physics that were so frustrating in the PS3 remaster. The more modern controls also make the game much more playable than the old versions. Truly the definitive version of this masterpiece.
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - The open world is the most realized and convincing world there has ever been, even eclipsing The Witcher 3. Playing in first person you can almost feel like you're actually there. The characters and storytelling are great as well, and that is especially noticeable in camp, where just stopping and listening will often tell you the most about the hearts and desires of one of your allies. It is let down by the way actually playing the game however. The controls are terrible and make certain actions a chore. The missions are all to similar and force you to play in one way instead of utilizing all the options they provide you in the open world. Less missions, but better missions would have served the game better and may have elevated it to the level of the open world.
  7. Detroit: Become Human - David Cage's finest work and a big step up from his previous games. Gone are the plot points that are abandoned after 5 minutes, the sudden appearances of magical elements, or the clumsy dialogue. Instead, the characters are layered and nuanced, the world fantastically atmospheric and believable, with a fantastic complementary soundtrack. Most impressively of all though, is how many branches there are in the story. Some games of this genre pretend your choices matter, but in Detroit they truly do. But the game never loses focus and the story never becomes a mess. Whatever choices you make, the game stays engaging until the very end.
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Gameplay wise it hits all the right notes. The combat feels good, it looks pretty good, and there are a lot of characters and stages. But for me, Smash Bros. is a party game, so starting with only 8 unlocked characters was a real joy killer. And the World of Light is a lot of fanservice, but it's not very interesting or good. It only really shines as a party game, but to make it really fun, you'll have to grind.
  9. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Guess I felt some Yakuza fatigue finally, after 4 games in 2 years. The cities are still great, so are the characters, and so are the mini games. But it just feels like it's not enough compared to 0 or 6, which is both a testament to those two games, and a sign it released a little too close to those games to really blow me away.

Oct 31, 2017
  1. God of War - It's the God of War I didn't know I wanted. I didn't know I wanted to explore and stumble upon secret areas. I didn't know I wanted a more deliberate battle system where I'm really planning out my moves. I didn't know I wanted the series to grow up. It's a monumental achievement for Sony Santa Monica, and they are proud of themselves, and they should be proud of themselves.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - One of the best stories I've seen played out in a video game, and a prequel that makes the series better, same as Metal Gear Solid 3.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - I can probably go either way on 3 and 4. This gets a bump up due to how new it felt. It's my first VR game, and it's lovely. The way you can look around with the camera to find secrets, the way Astro Bot waves at you when you look at him (and pants and waves if you're on a lava level), the simple yet addictive platforming, and how damn cute it is. The whole package is lovely, and I'm glad Sony Japan chose to tackle this.
  4. Marvel's Spiderman - An open-world game that chops off the fat and gives a distilled open-world experience with great traversal, smooth controls, VERY fun combat, and a good mix of "fighting crime everyday" side missions and more involved side missions.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - Fantastic remake. The world was beautiful, and the stable frame rate and PS4 graphics were wonderful, and it was as if I was playing it for the first time. I was confused as to how high to put this as it is a classic game, but it's a remake, yet being a remake puts a refreshing spin on it. So right in the middle it goes. Also, kudos to the Last Guardian reference.
  6. Detroit: Become Human - Been having a lot of fun with this. The detective scenes are far better and more involved than the ones in Heavy Rain, and I've come to realize that David Cage must really not like investigators.
I played many games this year, but only eight came from this year (couldn't get into Monster Hunter: World, and I need to play all the way through Moss). So this is basically me ordering what I played lol. Still, almost everything I played was great, so whatever. I'm sure if we revisited 2018 in a few years once I play more 2018 games, the order will be different.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I went into this game thinking that I will probably play a couple of hours and drop off like I did with the first game. The fact that it kept me engaged and made me comeback every day to see through the game is a testament to how good the story and characters were, despite my frustrations with the combat, ui, story mission restrictions, long rides, long shootouts etc... the epilogues dragged the game down as well because I was so interested in Arthur's story that I felt I would have been very satisfied without the epilogue. It made me go why the heck am I still playing this game after such a strong end. Anyways, I am sounding negative but I did have a great time and believe it to be a flawed masterpiece. If you enjoy story, narrative and multiple characters well fleshed out that you are invested in all of them then there are few better in games medium than rdr2.
  2. Spider-Man - I love how optimistic Peter Parker was through the entire story. Insomniac did the character justice and I loved the overall story and it was probably only second to spiderverse movie. The repetitive side missions with a lack of variety and boss fights that were not skill based for the most part and relied on some sort of qta was a downer but I thoroughly enjoyed it
  3. God of War - This would have probably been my #1 because it had great gameplay and I am positive a story that I would love but for some reason I just wasn't in the mood to play this sort of game this year and I am only like a quarter of the way through the story. I am sure I would play through this game at some point this year and love it. Maybe when I pick up a 4k hdr tv :)
This has been a year where I haven't played much games. I guess I am just taking a break and enjoying other medium. Watched a lot of movies and tv shows. Let's see how this year goes.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  1. Celeste - Narrative was brisk, yet interesting. Levels were expertly crafted and secret content was rich. A+++.
  2. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - I played over 100 hours of Monster Hunter World before this came out. I had a way better time with this. Better variety and making me realize some of the QOL upgrades were not really "upgrades". One of the greats.
  3. Forza Horizon 4 - Chill, relaxing, interesting. Looks great, fantastic races, and mountains of content. Racing done right.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I am terrible at this game, but WOL brought me back. Majestic experience that I plowed through in several days of non-stop gaming. Love the "love letter" to gaming that this brings.
  5. Dead Cells - A mix of two of my favorite things, rogue-lite and metroidvania. Delivered on every level.
  6. Into the Breach - Expertly crafted puzzle / strategy game.
  7. Taiko No Tatsujin - Got those import Taiko drums and never been happier. Playing the Odyssey tracks in Taiko is a dream come true.
  8. Octopath Traveler - One of the best RPG battle systems that I ever used. Never got old and the stories are unique and varied.
  9. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu - Thought I would hate this but adored it. Took a great spin on the age-old franchise with many features I hope carry over to the regular series as mainstays.
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man - My toughest pick here as I had a huge selection of "maybe-rans". Spider-Man was if anything by-the-numbers, lacked build diversity, had several "overlong" cinematic segments, and tortured through very bad "swing through pollution" moments. However, my Spidey love shines through and it barely makes the list because of how great the presentation and writing of the main cast is. It may not be that fun as a "game", but the overall package realizes it's focus and delivers on what an audience would expect.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - "There's a good man within you....But he's wrestling with a giant." Phew. What a game. It's incredibly hard to talk about what makes the experience of RDR2 to me, so special. It's hard to talk about the game I spent the longest talking about at the tail end of 2018, all the way to 2019. I still think about it and I do not think I will ever forget some of the moments and feelings I had because of this game. I will preface this by saying that I adore western movies so how slow paced it was actually added to the experience because it allowed me to get engrossed in the world that Rockstar allowed enough time for things to breath out. I was particularly taken aback because R*'s approach to the world and characters of RDR2 is the game's biggest surprise. A very understated, grounded and humane approach was given to almost everything in the game that makes it hard for a person like me to not get engrossed in the experience. There are moments in this game that I would believe out of anyone but R*. The exploration of a man's conflicted existence and the human condition is part of the reason why Arthur Morgan is the best character I've come across in video games in a very, very long time. So much of the game, even in its flaws is in service to the story and how it culminates in the end which is why it is hard to talk about most of the game. It is all about payoffs by the time it wraps up, in a way that does right by the characters. There is a certain willingness and dedication R* is showcasing in trying to connect everything between the two games to make the entire story feel as organic and as seamless as possible despite feeling over indulgent. It certainly shows a level of passion and respect they have for this world and these characters than anything they've ever worked on before. There's a complete picture here, one that is formed between the two games and the execution is just on point when it comes to that. My flaws with the game differs from most in that I did not have a problem with the controls because it felt like any other R* game. I found the shooting to be ok though I expected better and that the core systems for the most part were useless and unnecessary, but it could have had a big impact story-wise had it been executed correctly. One of the subplots I feel was also unnecessary and it could have been done much better in regards to the native Americans but by in large this is R*'s best story ever told and best writing they've ever done, by far. It has such high highs that it ultimately overshadowed whatever flaw I had with the game. It's a game that everyone should at least try out. There is an insane, almost mind numbing attention to detail from Arthur's wonderful journal to how things in the world, like for example a building you come across in Valentine, actually gets fully built over the course of the game, among other things like bumping into randoms. Like, the fact that the world reacts to you in so many ways is part of the reason why it is easy for me to get lost into it. It is just dripping with the thickest fucking atmosphere. I could almost smell the scenery. Large swaths of the game reminded me of how Kojima does these cool little story details except here R* do not have to go through decades of history which is why most of how the story goes about just feels organic. We even get a 2-parter epilogue that seems unnecessary at first but after playing through it all, it is necessary because it strengthens Arthur as a character because of the decision he takes earlier in the game(it operates and works on multiple thematic levels). R* did not have to do it but goddamn, they went for it all and tied up the game and saga with the best bow you could ask for. I love Red Dead Redemption 2 and their characters so much. I got happy with them, cried for them and I mourned with them. It's a game I could talk about endlessly, even when it comes to its flaws. It's just so fascinating and breathtaking on the whole which also makes the labor practices disheartening and I too, was thinking about the people while playing the game because I wished for things to be different. I wished for the people who never got to be credited, to be credited for the absolutely stunning work they did. I wished for people who never got to see their families enough, got to see their families enough. I am of two minds on this because I acknowledge this and it bothers me but I also adore the game and the feelings it evoked from me. RDR2 is not only a great compliment to RDR1, but it also enriches it. I will be returning to it in the future but even if I never did, there are moments in that game that will stick with me, forever. It's a game that does not respect your time, at all. But I feel if you give yourself to it, at your own pace, you'll come out of it with something special. Oh, I almost forgot, this game has a soundtrack that is as impressive as the scope of the game itself. The last game I ever gave the number 1 spot from R* was Vice City and that was mostly because they captured an era so well, that as of right now, has yet to be bested. RDR2 however, is above and beyond everything else they've worked in almost every facet. I wrote a lot more thoughts about the game for those who are interested in reading, incase you didn't know I really love this game.
  2. Tetris Effect - Tetris & Mizuguchi, what else do you want? I'm a big fan of Rez and Lumines, so this was a no brainer. Ever since that E3 trailer dropped, I knew I had to have this game. If you were to tell me that a tetris game in 2018 was going to move me emotionally, I would have told you that you are fucking insane but here we are. Like always, Mizuguchi just knows how to connect the music in conjunction with the gameplay to provide this certain sense of euphoric satisfaction. Everything feels right. It's just bliss and only Mizuguchi could make a "everything is connected" kind of thing without feeling hokey and fucking dumb. It's a very short game and I know it is just tetris, but it is the best of its kind and it is a joy to play. An endlessly beautiful experience.
  3. God of War - I am the person that chuckled when I heard Sony is bringing back God of War. I was like...REALLY? because in my mind, there is no where else for that character to go. I was wrong. The fact that the entire team at Santa Monica Studio was able to not only bring back the game but basically change everything about it while also making it feel familiar is an achievement onto itself. I extremely appreciated the understated approach to this iteration in a series that is known to be the loudest on the block. Their direction certainly felt right within the story they were going for, which is the bond of a father and son as they go through a very personal journey while the father tries to keep a major secret from his son. They play with Kratos's history I felt in interesting ways but also in ways that do not redeem him as a character but rather confront him with interesting ideas and questions. For me though, what struck me the most is the world itself. I am not well versed in Norse mythology so the game's world and the little stories/details throughout is what enamored me the most about the game. Those were the hooks that got into me deep and kept me coming back. The gameplay is great and the simple act of throwing the axe and calling it back whenever you want to is probably one of the most satisfying things you could have done in any game, in 2018. However, the world is what's fascinating the most about the game. I still cannot believe that not only they managed to bring God of War back but also make me interested and excited to play whatever they bring in next in the franchise. To me, God of War ended after 3 and that was that. But now, it is a different matter entirely and I absolutely cannot wait to see how they will continue building on what they did in this game. What I disliked about it is that some of the story beats felt rushed and while the subdued take worked for me, it still felt padded in a number of places. The game suffers from "lets go to location B to get an item to open the door in location A but to get the item in location B you have to go to location C to break the spell.etc" It is a series of those moments which often times felt like it stalled progression in more ways than one. Also, the very few boss battles. Other than that, God of war is a superb game and one of the year's best. Whatever you look at in the game is interesting. Atreus keeping a note of things you come across in the game is a very appreciated detail.
  4. Celeste - Tell me if you've heard this before, a tough 2D pixel art platformer game. I know, right? What makes Celeste special though is that it has something to say by the end of it all. It made me do something which I have never do for a 2D platformer game and that is care about its story at a level that moved me when all is said and done. Celeste is the simple story of a girl who has a lot of self doubt but is on a journey to climb a mountain to prove to herself that she could do it. What is striking about Celeste is that the more I played, the more the themes of the story get apparent in that they are so in tune with the game mechanics that you almost forget about how hard the game gets at times because you start riding on the same wavelength as the main character. It culminates in a marriage of game mechanics and story that was very moving by the time it wrapped up and that is why Celeste is a special game. In addition, it has one of the year's best soundtrack. I also feel that more people should mention that Celeste's accessibility options are impeccable and anyone could jump in and tune the game to their liking which is something that the makers should be commended on.
  5. Spider-Man - Spider-Man 2 memories all over again. I think this game without a doubt is one of the most enjoyable feeling games to play this year because the controls and everything you do just eases you into its world quickly and it is easy to just pick up and play even if you have not played for a long while. The story is good for what it is, though, I feel it rushes a few things. The biggest surprise for me is that the characters are well realized for the most part and the voice acting is great throughout. If I were to compare it to the Akrham games, I feel like those games had stand out moments that I still remember and that is what is missing from this game. The Arkham games managed to tie story stuff with gameplay in often unique and interesting ways. The combat gets repetitive in both the Arkham games and Spider-Man but what puts one over the other is that the Arkham games have vastly superior stealth mechanics which is why the stealth sections in Spider-Man did not work for me at all and I wished they were not in the game. All that aside, it is a very enjoyable game to play and it also feels superb to play. It is without a doubt the best Spider-Man game ever made(the swinging alone is worth the price of admission!) and I have no doubt that there is nowhere else to go from here but up.
  6. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - What a surprise this game was. a Nintendo like platformer on PS4 and in VR no less. Actually the VR is what makes this game special and part of the reason why is that they incorporate so many special little details attached to VR that really enhance the overall experience. The game's pace is impeccable as it just introduces one new thing after the next and what's surprising is most of the things you experience in the game are one offs which makes going through a level that much more special and memorable. A worthy platformer to go through and definitely the year's biggest surprise.
  7. Gris - It is a wonderful little platformer about a girl who is going through a rough patch in her life as she navigates how she feels about it all in quite a unique and beautiful way. At first I thought this game was too abstract for my liking but the more I played, the more I understood what it was about, more or less. It is absurdly beautiful, has an incredible soundtrack and it is not that long of a game. It's a quiet, reflective and relaxing experience. I honestly would have preferred the game to be shorter because the gameplay is too simple. If it was, it would have held on the impact it had all the way to the very end. Having said that, I still loved it.
  8. WarioWare Gold - Leave it to Nintendo to make me care about the 3DS again with one game. While this is a compilation of sorts it still does not make it a lesser game for the amount of joy it gave me throughout the year. It basically combines all the WarioWare minigames we have seen and some new ones with a bunch of stuff to unlock. It is JAM PACKED with endlessly entertaining content. If you love the Warioware games, you cannot go wrong with this one. It will be one that I will revisit for many years to come as this release is the one to get since all that you need in a WarioWare game in one tiny cartridge. I have played all the other ones but I still could not stop playing this one.
  9. Minit - An endlessly charming game that is all about second chances and where every minute is considered progress. Whatever you do is never gone to waste as you only get a minute to live everytime you respawn but every item you find is forever yours to use to traverse this strange little world. There are a bunch of hidden secrets to find throughout and it is a little gem of an adventure game. I enjoyed my time with it immensely.
  10. A Way Out - I do not think I would have been interested in this as much as I was if it was not for the co-op. While the game does not live up to what came before it, Brothers, it was still a lot of fun and it provided the most laughs I had in any game during co-op, intentional or not. It is an ok game that is sufficient to go through enough once that is significantly enhanced with a friend. The story should have been the stand out but instead it was the moments I had with my cousin playing through the game which is more than I could say for most games.
Honorable Mentions: Florence, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, BloodStained: Curse of the Moon, Hitman 2, Donut County, Monster Hunter: World & Dead Cells.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
  1. God of War - I really thought I was done with God of War after 3. I played Ghost of Sparta on PSP and thought it was fine. I skipped Ascension because it just looked more of the same. I wasn't really thrilled to hear they were making a new one when it was first announced. This game changed a ton about God of War and though. Everything from the combat to the story to the dialogue between characters. It is easily one of the most memorable experiences of the generation for me. And I am looking forward to more God of War, which I never thought I'd say again after 3.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man - This is the dream Spider-Man game. As someone who has played almost every console Spider-Man game, this is easily the best one. They game knew who the characters were, didn't make them do things they probably wouldn't normally do, and wrote a story that was true to Spider-Man. Add in the fun webswinging and combat and it's easily one of the most enjoyable superhero games out there. The open world design may feel a little outdated, but traversing was fun enough that it wasn't a hindrance.
  3. Tetris Effect - I've always considered Tetris to be the perfect game. Fun for casual people to play. Difficult to really master. The Tetris theme is still ingrained in my head all these years. Tetris Effect turns that perfect game into an audio/visual experience. It's something that hasn't been done with a Tetris game before. When you add in VR, it's probably the most overstimulating VR experience I've ever had. I never really thought anyone could outdo Tetris DS, and the past decade really has not been very kind to official Tetris games aside from Puyo Puyo Tetris, but this might be the best Tetris game ever made so far.
  4. Monster Hunter World - I played many Monster Hunter games before. And I always gave up after the first few hunts. Switching areas in a map was tedious, making sure you had enough whetstones was tedious, tracking a monster was tedious, the old games were all very tedious. Playing Monster Hunter World feels like what Monster Hunter should have been like all along. I never realized how much the series was held back by being on PSP/3DS until this game. The only thing that was really an issue was playing with friends but that was a minor thing. Monster Hunter World is a game everyone should try if they even remotely have an interest in these games.
  5. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - If there was one game this year that was a pure joy to play from beginning to end, this would be the game. A lot of people compare it to Mario 64 and while it isn't quite as deep of a 3D platformer as Mario 64, it gives you that sense of excitement and joy the first time you play this. The levels are all very creative and make great use of VR. The world and characters look charming. In almost every sense, this is a game that I would have thought would come from Nintendo.
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Smash Bros. was always one of those games that I'd play for a bit, but just lose interest after a while. Ultimate in some ways is more of the same, but they did a much better job at giving you a ton of content to go through. World of Light was really fun to do. Just seeing all the spirits that were in there and how they associated them with the characters and abilities in fights was really exciting. Classic mode having their own end bosses and such was also a great idea. This is a game full of fanservice and they did a great job at it.
  7. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I liked Origins a lot, but this was a better game in almost every way. They took a lot of what worked in Origins and just added more to it. Kassandra is also a joy to play as. Add that to me being a sucker for ancient Greece and this game is just so much fun to explore. The story is also pretty interesting and I just like pretty much everything about this game. It's a video game ass video game.
  8. Pokemon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - Like most Pokemon fans, I was highly skeptical of this game when it was first announced. As a Pokemon Go player, I thought it was cool to be able to integrate both games together, but it ended up not really being anything special in the end. As soon as I started playing though, I was hooked. Most everything about this game was very clearly made with care and love for the original games. Getting rid of wild battles is always going to be controversial, but for me, it was for the best and I don't miss it. The game just flows so much better without them. Seeing pokemon in the overworld is gamechanging when you just want to hunt for specific pokemon. I've played every Pokemon game out so far and I can honestly say that with this game, I never got bored.
  9. Detroit: Become Human - As much shit as David Cage tends to get with his writing, his games at least do a good job of giving players choices and consequences for them. The story of Detroit could be really dumb and funny at some points, but the intrigue is just in seeing how different the story can be depending on the choices you make. As a game with a ton of different choices and branching paths, there isn't really one better.
  10. Dragon Ball FighterZ- Much like Spider-Man and Monster Hunter, there have been a lot of bad Dragon Ball Z games. I've probably played most of them too. From the moment I saw this game though it just felt different. They gave up on trying to do a 3D fighter where you're just flying all over the place and went with what was basically Marvel vs Capcom but with DBZ. And not only did it work, but they might have done a better job than MvC at it.
  11. Octopath Traveler - When the Switch was first announced, this was the game that interested me the most. The pop-up book style was unique and Square Enix tend to do good work on their Nintendo JRPGs. The game overall was pretty great. Music was great. Visuals were nice. Story wasn't the most interesting thing, but it did have its moments. The combat was fun. Just planning things out and making sure you can break a target before they get a chance to attack was interesting. It was a fun game overall.
  12. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This was definitely an experience. I loved so many things about this game. The characters, the setting, the music, everything but actually playing the game. The game parts of this just feel like they fight you every step of the way. Everything feels fine but nothing really feels good. And it was disappointing to me that after all these years, Rockstar can improve so much on everything around a game but not on the gameplay itself. Gotta give honorable mentions to Arthur (and Sadie) though. They were two of my favorite characters this year.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
  1. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - One of my favorite titles in my favorite series, remade with all the glory Ryu Ga Gotoku Team's Dragon Engine could achieve. Fantastic game through and through.
  2. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - A hearfelt end to Kazuma Kiryu's saga. Onomichi was completely different from previous settings, and the story was far more intimate than in previous titles.
  3. The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories - We all need more Swery in our lives.
  4. God of War - The series had lost me after the third game, then Good Guy Cory Barlog and his team delivered a humanized Kratos, a great story/pacing with a kickass, deep combat system to spice things up.
  5. Forza Horizon 4 - It only gets better.
  6. Shadow of the Colossus - One of the best games of all time with heavily improved graphics and updated controls. What else could I ask for?
  7. Vampyr - I had some reservations against Dontnod after those bleh endings in Life is Strange, but they more than made up for it with this game.
  8. Dark Souls Remastered - You Died in 60fps, baby! The way you were always meant to! Some questionable graphical changes here and there, but that's okay. Somewhat.
  9. Guacamelee! 2 - It improves everything the first game got right while either fixing or removing what it didn't. Kickass pacing, ridiculous(ly good) sense of humor.
  10. Marvel's Spiderman - Traversal and movement alone make this game a joy to play. The Ubisoft-y repetitive activities became kind of annoying later in the game, but it was still mostly fun to achieve 100%.
Honorable Mentions:
  • Iconoclasts - A somewhat puzzle-oriented Metroidvania with beautiful graphics and the best boss fights in the genre, especially when compared to...
  • Hollow Knight - This game has a HUGE world that is packed with so much content that a blind completionist playthrough can take upwards of 50 hours, and it's rather amazing that it manages to do so much traversal-wise given how few abilities you get. That said, some design decisions annoyed me enough to hate this game in some parts, especially being pushed back after hitting an enemy. Yeah, I know there's a relic that negates that effect, but that should've been a debuff to some ability instead of a default gameplay element. I also disliked how combat-oriented it was given how good traversal felt. Some bosses were okay while many others were just bullet-spongy faster versions of themselves with random projectiles/debris to make things artificially difficult. I wish there were more areas like the White Palace, which is a testament to how great Team Cherry's platforming can be. I also disliked how much it drinks from Dark Souls' fountain. Still, the most bang-for-your-buck non-procgen gaming experience you'll ever find.
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Some of my favorite childhood platformers with shiny new visuals and QOL improvements. Yay!
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The best gameplay in the reboot series, with a rather Metroidvania-ish feel as you acquire abilities that let you reach new areas, which Rise also did rather decently. An okay number of tombs to raid, but I still think should be mainly raiding tombs instead of being given the option to do so. Stupid stupid story. I love how Lara is portrayed as a feared, strong female character, but it's a shame she has all the personality of an empty bag while (still) whining about her father whenever possible. I hope they get a better voice actress for Lara as the series moves forward.
  • Far Cry 5 - This is the most fun I've had in a Ubisoft game in a long while. The writing was surprisingly good, and there was enough variety in the gameplay to keep me interrsted all the way through. The ending sucked though.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
  1. God of War - This was a glorious adventure, from the epic announcement to the release. I was always on board with the directional change, but it wasn't til I played it, did it cement into the brain that it was for the best. We have had 6 main/sub adventures (major releases) where Kratos was being Kratos and if the path of this game was basically number 7, it would still be a quality title, but not as great as it was. The over the shoulder camera brought you close to the action. The world was cleverly built and nicely detailed as the world serpent provided change in landscape. The star of the show was the Axe, with the Blades of Chaos being iconic to the series, it was always going to be a tough ask to design something new to match them, the Axe certainly does this, the mechanics of just throwing and retrieving the Axe are magnificent. Kratos and BOY! have been given a glorious second origin story and one that I look forward to future installments.
  2. Marvel's Spiderman - At the very beginning of playing this, I wasn't feeling it as much I thought I would but as the story continued it certainly drew me in. However, I was certainly enjoying the final act far more than what was happening earlier on, so I was hoping that Act was a touch longer with more longer interactions with the supporting cast. By the end of the game, I felt as though the game was better than Arkham City, but it stands with Arkham Asylum as equal comic book games, as I felt at times I could have been playing a re-skinned Arkham Asylum game. The game is not without faults, by the end I feel some of the random crimes started wearing out the welcome, similar with the crime dens, there were no need to have 4 factions of these. The Dens were the odd issue, when you have Waves of enemies, immediately starting Wave 2 with a successful stealth takedown of Wave 1 is just dumb. Research Stations could have been handled better, rather than having a "problem" as soon as you visit, tapping into the stations to monitor them and randomly one/two creating alerts as the game continues on would have worked alot better. Lastly, the MJ style missions need a huge overhaul, they became stale and just a momentum killer. The seems to be alot of negative in my write up, but all of it is basically side content, this can easily be tightened up in future games, the main story and gameplay is spot on, the framework is in place, so I am looking forward to the story continuing.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - At the moment, I have not finished this, I am still in Chapter 4 and it is wearing me down, the mission design is very restrictive at times, I know Rockstar want you to play it a certain way, but they do need to loosen the leash, my biggest example of this so far was a mission where you needed to use stealth to burn crops, everything goes well until you actually light up and then everyone you were avoiding suddenly knows where you are and it becomes a shootout (like other other mission), this didn't need to happen and could simply mean more enemies to arrive to avoid. The world is beautiful and exceptionally large, possibly too large, I am interested in returning, but this game didn't grab me as much as I hoped it would.
  4. Lumines Remastered - Lumines is still the best Tetris game that is not Tetris, I have not purchased Tetris Effect yet, but I suspect that I will get alot of game time out of that when I do
  5. Burnout Paradise Remastered - Sure it was a simple cash in for EA, but I still love the open world to stuff around in, I still dream of a sequel that is open world for the challenges to do with friends, but then have closed circuit racing for actually events. Not go your own way.
  6. LEGO The Incredibles 2 - Not much on this, currently playing it with my 6 year old, so we don't play it often, but I really enjoyed the movie, so this is easy fun!

Overall, 2018 seems to be a list of only 6 games released in that same year, most gaming time was spent on older titles, might have to try and resolve that for 2019.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my last second list and notes; what a great year for games this was. Just wish I had played more, though I suppose that would have made this list even harder to decide.

1. The Banner Saga 3 - There's a moment in the Banner Saga 3 where everything pivots; when everything you did is laid on the table and you just have to deal with the outcome. In a series full of some of the most memorable moments in RPGs that those 5 minutes were still shocking and got me on the edge of my seat, with a couple of paragraphs of text and a 10 second cutscene, is high praise. That was especially so once credits rolled and I found out that things could have been of so different if I had played the rest of the trilogy in another way, something I am most certainly looking forward to trying in the future.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man - I may have played the game wrong, with lifting my finger for each swing, but it felt so good I just couldn't stop. Just like Sunset Overdrive, the traversal in this game made everything else (gameplay-wise) worth so much more than the sum of its parts. Toss in the best Spider-man story since the second Rami movie and you've got yourself one of the best titles around.
  3. Ashen - The first "Souls" style game I've finished since Demon's Souls. The ease of use features like a proper quest system, more surfaced narrative and map help greatly in settling back into the rhythm of combat but it was the wonderful world design (vertically is king), art style and co-op that makes this one of the greats for me. Traversing through the Shadow of the Matriarch with a complete stranger is one of my favorite moments of the generation.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Every time I turn this game on I'm blown away by some detail, big or small, that makes everything in the game feel that much more alive. Beyond those systems and world events the characters and writing are also so well done that I actually care about what happens to this gang of criminals, something earlier Rockstar titles have had a hard time clicking with me. Putting the game any higher than this, without having beaten it, would feel wrong but if the rest of RDR2 is as good as the many hours I've spent in it already than it maybe could have topped the chart.
  5. 11:11 Memories Retold - A more than worthy successor to Valiant Hearts. Still mulling over my ending and how much it got under my skin (in a good way of course).
  6. God of War - This game is the rule by which all other series reboots will be judged. What an amazing pivot for God of War to make.
  7. Mutant Year Zero - Taking the strategy genre and mixing in real-time stealth was a win for me the second I saw it, but it was the surprisingly good world building and characters that sealed the deal. Can't wait to see what this team does next.
  8. Soulcalibur VI - One of the things I was most excited about for Soulcalibur VI was a lot of single player content (which I need to spend more time with) but it was the multiplayer, with its easier to pick up and play nature, that got the most use in my console. Passing controllers through a group of friends—some experienced with the series, some not—and having a great time was a highlight of the year.
  9. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - I've waited on a Castlevania 3 successor since I read about Koji Igarash's want to work on the game back in a Nintendo Power interview for one of the DS releases. Curse of the Moon nails what I loved about the classic Castlevania makeup while bringing forward the plethora of options that the Iga-lead sequels were well-known for.
  10. Sea of Thieves - The game might not have lasted long with my group, but the time we did spend with it had some amazing moments I'm sure to remember for years. Looking forward to diving back into Sea of Thieves with the Arena content drop this year and catching up on everything I've missed.
  11. Below - My biggest regret that I didn't get sit down to play before this list. From the hour I played I'm sure going to have a ball with it this year.
  12. Pig Eat Ball - A wonderful, underrated arcade title that tops everything else the developer has made to date.
  13. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - Didn't touch it but the original Strange Journey is one of the best RPGs around so it needs a shoutout here.
  14. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - No idea when I'll play this, but the series finally getting more Metroid representation into it is a cause for celebration!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
A bit late to the party, but I wanted to be sure of some choices:

1. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Even if it's missing some modes, and its online is not great, it is indeed the ultimate smash bros game! It wouldn't necessarily be my GOTY any year, but I think it surpassed everything else this year in terms of fun, content, and design. There's not much more to say, it's Smash Bros, but even better.
  2. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - A remake of the best Yakuza game that got even better. Some new parts are a bit weaker than expected, but overall, it's better than the original. It closes some plotholes that 0 left open, has a good combat system, some great remixes, and some really fun minigames/substories that only Yakuza gets. Oh and the engine matured a bit since Yakuza 6, so it feels better on that side. A way better game than Y6, that's for sure.
  3. ZeroRanger - Amazing game that a tiny team is making since years. It's a shmup, but oh boy is it more than that. I guess it's the Undertale of shmups even if I don't like this comparison. It's ripe with references from the genre and from other medias, it has a glorious artstyle and OST, the controls are amazing, there's something for every skill level! It's amazing on every level, and it's an experience you don't want spoiled. You'll know why when it gets to it.
  4. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - It's closer to the first game than I thought, but that's what people wanted. Excellent game in the franchise that people sadly aren't buying, even though it's regularly on sale for half its price months after its launch. As usual, the music and art are great, some new systems make the game feel even tighter, the story can be fun, yet is darker than previous games (without going too much into anime tropes like VC2/3). If you like the genre and missing out on this game for some small arguments, it's pretty sad.
  5. Tetris Effect - I've always liked playing Tetris (who doesn't?) and got a renewed faith in Mizuguchi after Rez Infinite released (Child of Eden was average). The announcement is still one of the best trailers of the gen, and the game itself manages to get to the same synaesthesia moments of Rez. The Tetris gameplay is also good, since most companies somehow fucked this up between this and Tetris DS (if you don't count Puyo Puyo Tetris). An excellent game with a gorgeous mix of vfx and audio that'll make you dream while you play.
  6. Touhou Luna Nights - So, this is still in early access, but I urge to get it. It's a platformer with good metroidvania based levels. It's a bit hard to explain, but the few people that played the excellent other previous games from Team Ladybug should understand how it works. The pixel art is sublime, the touhou music remixes are great, and the controls are tight too. You play Sakuya (who controls time and throws knives like Dio in JoJo) and use time-base mechanics to go around levels and beat bosses. There's no shmup here, but definitely some mechanics inspired by the games. You'll appreciate it even more if you have a basic understanding of this IP's lore!
  7. Into the Breach - A strategy game that works more like a puzzle game. It doesn't feel much like FTL in most ways (outside of the artstyle, atmosphere and music), so people coming from this one might be disappointed, but it's an experience that is really well designed, and its small maps make the game way deeper than you might think in the first place. One of those games where you won't see the time go if you don't pay attention, and just go for "one more turn".
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - It's an awesome game to get lost in, not so great mechanically. I respect what they tried to achieve though, as it's basically a really high budget game with a weird attention to some details you'd see in an indie game usually. It's top notch, just gives you weird feelings from time to time of "is it a game?" (even though it has more gameplay than the games you'd ask that about usually). Incredible world. The online is currently an afterthought in my opinion, hope they make it better.
  9. Battlefield V - This is a weird one. This definitely feels unfinished, and the developers keep pushing weird updates that go against players feedbacks (before having to backtrack due to obvious backlash), but this is the best Battlefield since a very long time, and with some more updates, will definitely be the best one since BC2. Definitely a good comeback for DICE.
  10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I'm not exactly sure what the Assassin's Creed license is now, but this game is the best one since Black Flag. It has the old Ubisoft game issue of having too much content for its own good, and while it's a competent RPG, its systems are not too well thought out or balanced. That said, it still has a lot of charm, and is a good game to play casually until you stop for a while when the need for grind is too much.
51a6081645170d6eb6684b9b18c81b26d69ddbf2.gif
zr2W4dk.gif

tumblr_pgj4paZXwY1sf3h8qo1_500.gif
AggravatingObviousDutchshepherddog-size_restricted.gif

It was a pretty good year overall, but not as impressive as I hoped.
I'm not sure how I'd rank my honorable mentions, so I'll just say I appreciated both versions of Monster Hunter this year (but ended up disappointed by both), haven't played that much of Octopath Traveler (which has worse combat than Bravely), XC2 Torna (better cast than the original) and NNK2 (fantastic artstyle, disappointing otherwise, but still better than the first one) to rank them. DBFZ was great but not for me (I don't like tag games), and SC6 is the best SC since 2 (but badly managed, especially due to the character creator once again). Shadow of the Tomb Raider was better than Rise in some ways, but worse in most ways, a shame. Fist of the North Star was a fun Yakuza spinoff really respectful of the IP despite adapting it to Yakuza characters. Lots of nice indie games, too many to list, and often found in this thread. Great year for Sony as well, just not my kind of game, disappointing on the gameplay side for some.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - I lost interest in the series after 3. Hell, I just recently played and beat this game because I wasn't interested in it, but I'm glad I decided to give it a shot. This game has so many things going for it (level design, art style, story, characters, etc.). My favorite thing about the game however was Kratos being a good and somewhat likable character now. I loved the father-son relationship development throughout the game. So good.
  2. Marvel's Spiderman - I love Spider-man so much that I've platinumed both those Amazing Spider-Man games. Yes, those games. We finally got a good Spider-Man game since a long time. I like that it has the classic Insomniac charm with the gadgets. Swinging around the city and combat were also pretty good.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - It's been a while since I touch my old VR. Decided to upgrade and get the Moss bundle, and this game was so much fun. One of the best VR titles.
  4. Celeste - One of the most beautiful platformers I've played. Great art and soundtrack.
  5. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - One of the best Yakuza games just got better. This used to be my favorite until 0 came along. Glad to see it still holds up.
  6. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - A good ending to the series, but not without its flaws. Kiryu is probably at his best here. All the relationships and bonding he makes whether its through the story or side-missions is great. You get to see why he's one of the best protagonists out there.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI - it's like they used a dream machine to pluck the image of HD Dragon Quest that I've had in my head for the last 10 years and put it on my TV screen. Hopefully not another 12 years until we get another DQ game like this.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - in what has become all too rare these days, a fighting game with easily $60 worth of content right on the cart at launch
  3. God of War
  4. Yakuza 2
  5. Yakuza 6
  6. Shadow of the Colossus
  7. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI - it's like they used a dream machine to pluck the image of HD Dragon Quest that I've had in my head for the last 10 years and put it on my TV screen. Hopefully not another 12 years until we get another DQ game like this.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - in what has become all too rare these days, a fighting game with easily $60 worth of content right on the cart at launch
  3. God of War
  4. Yakuza 2
  5. Yakuza 6
  6. Shadow of the Colossus
  7. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Please bold your titles or we won't be able to read your votes.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1. Monster Hunter World - I wasn't expecting to find that at my number 1 spot this year, but there were a number of games that I bounced off of for any number of reasons. MHW suited that style of play, though. take on some missions, craft some new weapons and armor, hunt for items, drop off for a few weeks and come back and play it for several days. I still have to beat the 3 elder dragons but I think I've done most of the story content.
2. Iconoclasts - the true forgotten game of 2018, in a year where there were a ton of indie Metroidvanias, Iconoclasts delivered theirs with an ambitious story (that doesn't always hit) interesting characters, and a more "world" or "area" type level layout that certainly felt different than what you normally get in these types of games. The weapons and tools are fun to use, but the power up system was a bit lacking in oomph.
3. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of the Elusive Age - I'm in the post game now (act 3) but I feel this game does enough to freshen up DQ's traditional formula to where it doesn't feel like a relic, sort of like like YsVIII from 2017. Shame about that soundtrack.
4. Divinity Original Sin II - theres a lot to love here in terms of the base combat, skills, the story characters, the different locations and the stories in each area. It would have been a universal improvement and probably my GOTY but the encounter balancing, especially in the later chapters is pretty terrible. There won't be many fights that you won't be on fire, poisoned, damaged and possibly cursed and or charmed before you take your first turn. That stuff got old. Despite that, the overall package kept me enthralled for 70 hours and I played nothing else in the interim.
5. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - I guess its my most controversial choice given the general sentiment but in SOTR got Arkham Origin'd. Most everyone decided it would be a subpar experience before ever starting the game. Square-Enix deserves some blame for that as their insistence to portray Lara Croft as a ruthless killing machine rather than an explorer that can take of her self did them no favors. In truth there is no consistency in how the character has been portrayed since the start of the reboot project, and they really didn't know what to do with her beyond that initial game. And it doesn't help that trinity is a completely lame villain. What the game does well is it builds on what Rise focused on, exploration, puzzle solving and tomb navigation. These are the best moments of the game and thankfully there are a lot of them.
6. Tetris Effect - Style over substance can work when you are working with a solid foundation like tetris to begin with. The music and backgrounds are certainly memorable.
7. Red Dead Redeption 2 - I'm still on chapter 2 on this thing but spent some good time with it over the Christmas break. I think the complaints about the controls and the deliberate pace of the game are legit, but its still the old school R* mission structure that holds these games back. Despite that, the spectacle and atmosphere are top notch and worth experiencing.
8. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - I've put in over 30 hours on this, havent finished it yet, but I think its take on a medieval setting is pretty noteworthy. I understand the game comes with some baggage from the developer that I don't endorse, and I still can't quite get the hang of the clunk combat, but I did enjoy its scope and its detail.

And thats it. I have GOW, Hitman 2, Soul Caliber 6 and Spiderman but haven't played them at all. the only other game I've put any time in this year was Shining Resonance Refrain, which was better than expected, but not sure if I'd put it in my to games of the year. I did like it better than Ni No Kuni II.

Status
Not open for further replies.