• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting information

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017

As many of you might've noticed, we've been reviewing every year of the past decade in gaming (2010-2019) and it's all been leading to this. Game of the Year votes have always been popular, but now we're doing something special: The community will have the chance to decide the GAME OF THE DECADE!

The same team behind our retrospective of notable games from the past decade (shout out to tgr_williams) are to thank for this event as well. We'd like to thank not only tgr_williams, but Muzy, Hecht, Rösti, DownUnderCoder, ColdSun and B-Dubs for their contributions to this effort.

Furthermore, this vote marks the first time that we will be using our new Ballots voting tool! Previously we relied on a hodgepodge collection of bots and scrapers to run Game of the Year votes; this involved a lot of work and manual effort every time. Thanks to our tech team we have now developed a native voting tool incorporated directly into the forum software which will make it easier to vote and easier to organize votes.

Please review the announcement thread and/or the instructions below, as the new tool works differently and has necessitated some changes in the rules (most notably, ballots are no longer ranked choice due to the way the software counts votes).

ildcjQc.gif

Information
We ask each user to limit their choices to their 15-20 favorite games of the last decade. Any more than that and the vote will get far too unwieldy for everyone involved.

Pay attention to the instructions below because voting works very differently this year as a result of the new vote counting method.

YwPX8jn.jpg

As you can see, with Ballots active the thread now runs a constant countdown until the end of the vote tally. This countdown is available at the top and bottom of each page, so it is impossible to miss. If need be, the length can be adjusted at our discretion (if members are having a hard time making their choices, for example).

VT3fp6D.jpg

If we zoom in on the Quick Reply Box at the bottom of the page, we will see a small button marked [Vote]. If you click that you will be brought to the section of your post where you input the games you want to vote for.

egFtaBh.jpg

It is a simple fill-in field that will create another fill-in once text appears in it. Just click to the next box and fill in your choices.

There is a special feature here though.

wRrNGeJ.jpg

You'll be able to see the choices that everyone has made so far. So if someone has already voted for the one of the games on your list, all you need to do is find it and check the box in order to vote for it!

dhZmM8J.png

When you're all done a post will be created that looks like this. No more worrying about how to format your posts, Ballots will do that for you.

GyuBwdk.png

T8v4FhQ.png

When you are putting in how you feel about the games on your list, just put your thoughts in the basic reply box. They will appear above your list and will not affect how your vote is counted at all.

Information
If you decide part way through the voting that you would like to change your vote, just use the vote tool to cast another vote. The tool will only count a user's most recent vote in the thread, so even if you cast multiple ballots only a single one will be counted.

IN ADDITION: There is no more ranked choice in voting. The order you choose does not matter. While this tool greatly simplifies the amount of effort all of you need to go through in order to vote, it does not allow for a point value to be awarded to individual votes. So picking something first on your list isn't going to affect how well it does, just pick your favorites games as you think of them.

ildcjQc.gif

------ FAQ ------

Is (insert game here) eligible?
So long as the game was originally published in the last decade (2010-2019) it is eligible. Ports don't count, so if an Xbox360 game was published in 2009 and it's PC port was published in 2010 it is not eligible.

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.

Can I talk about somebody else's list?
Discussion is encouraged! Want to talk about another poster's list? Quote it.

Can I use images in my ballot? I want it to be BEAUTIFUL!
Absolutely. You can do whatever you want to your voting post, so long as you DO NOT touch the actual vote created by the vote tool. If you do, it will likely cause a bug and your vote might not be counted.

My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two posts as the vote tool will only count the most recent post's vote.

I want to change my list. Do I have to make a new post?
No, but it would probably be easier for you if you did.

My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.

Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
It doesn't matter, so go nuts.

OMG what about Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts III? Lots of people are using Arabic numerals. Will they be counted?
We'll be fairly lenient on variations, but the only way to guarantee that your vote will be counted is to copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet. But again, just because a game isn't listed doesn't mean you can't vote for it if you're sure it's a 2010-2019 title. Just use the most complete and official title available.

When will the results be posted?
As soon as is possible given the copy-paste technology at our disposal.

Happy voting, everyone!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Edit: Pressing "enter" when adding a vote instantly submits a post, rather than moving to the next line and adding another game.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
The Last of Us easily goes down as my favourite game of all. God of War is up there at least for this decade.

[x] The Last of Us
[x] God of War
[x] NieR: Automata
[x] Borderlands 3
[x] Watch Dogs 2

Last edited:

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
1. Bloodborne - First Souls game for me, I played it up until NG+7 straight through. The world was incredible, the challenge was perfect and everything in that game just made me want to explore more. I even enjoyed the chalicce dungeons. From their my love for all the souls game grew and I keep consuming them over and over. One reason why this game is still number 1 for me though is how it prioritizes offense over defense. This is very much similar to games in the old days where you just can't be scared of whatever the game throws at you and hesitating will lead to failiure. The game rewards the players action with success.

2. Hollow Knight- For those like myself that ever thought, I love MetroidVania's but I really wish they where bigger while still retaining the same level of detail Super Metroid or SOTN, Hollow Knight delivers and blows past expectations. While on my way 100%+ I was still finding new areas 50 hours into my journey. Each area tells a story through its incredible artwork while delivering quality boss fights all over the map. The game boast a high enemy variety (168!) keeping you on your toes in every area

3. Persona 5- Its the best Persona game in the series (And this is before playing Royal). I love 4 & 3 (1&2 are more SMT) but 5 really elevates the gameplay and world. I totally get if others have preference for one game over another, for me 3's one never ending dungeon is not great and 4 is really good but its scope is more condensed as well. 5 puts together a group of people who may not all be great friends but know they need to band together to overcome a huge obstical. It also has some of my favorite individual charcters in the series, Makoto.

4. Yakuza 0- A friend of mine kept urging me to play the series and when 0 came out I thought it was the perfect place to jump in. Now having ran through the series, I like my friend, send out text and messages everytime its on sale to others to start the magic. Yakuza 0 not only is the perfect entry point but also my favorite game in the series. Yakuza as a whole blends well written serious story with some of the wackiest and fun side quest any game you can think of deliver. Pairing this with a ton of mini games you are going to have a hard time finding a package that isn't as well developed as the Yakuza franchise.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What made this game great was not the designed story sections but the open world that you could freely explore from the moment you are dropped into the game. It was a very relaxing game where finding another shrine just over the hill provided an addicting gameplay loop. I was 50 hours into the game when I decided I should finally travel to the West side of the map as I had throughly walked around the middle and East side. Also gliding around in the game is the best feature in the game!

6. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - This game was the biggest test of which would be #1, this or Bloodborne. I opted for Bloodborne but Sekiro carries on FromSoftwares brilliance by creating another world around offense. Sekiro also furthers this by focusing the game around 1 weapon making the skill of learning it a huge reward. NG+'s turned into addicting speedruns as the games difficulty was placed around your understanding of utalizing of this weapon and once you "got it" the games difficulty drops off

7. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Greatest VR game I have played. VR is medium that is ripe for ideas to explore and turning a 3D platformer where your head is the camera worked excellent. The game has a ton of great content with boss fights that make you both smile and enjoy to play with their unique mechanics. I hope there is more of this on the horizion because its an experience everyone should play.

8.The Binding of Isaac - One of the few games I own on multiple devices. I easily have over 50 hours on Vita, 50 hours on PS4 and 200 hours on Switch. Its a game I can't stop playing and the one more run mechanic keeps me coming back. Unlike other games in its genre I love how the random items can change a run and once you get the feel for the game you can take anything the game throws at you which turns into picking everything up and having a scary creature by the end.

9. Earth Defense Force 5 - EDF! EDF! EDF! There is a lot of hot takes on gaming websites but a lot of them boil down to they want content, they want to have fun and they want to play with their friends. You can do all of this (Even splitscreen!) as you fight against hordes of bugs, robots and aliens. The enemy count is sometimes mindblowing in these games and I can't wait for 6 coming out next year.

10. Stardew Valley- Fantastic accessible game that lets you go at your own pace and truely min or max each aspect of the game to your hearts content. Multiplayer makes the experience even more nejoyable as players who prefer certain task can keep to those areas so they stay to what they find fun and someone else can complete the areas they don't enjoy as much. The towns characters are charming but also carry some dark baggage with them not normally found in these types of games which makes friending them and learning about them all the more enjoyable.

11.Death Stranding - Similar to BOTW what makes this game great is exploring and traversing the world. Unlike BOTW though the mechanics are closer to realistic which really make the traversing aspect for me that much more enjoyable. I have written about some of the wild adventures I have gone in the game elsewhere but exploring the world before the story takes you places makes you grapple with lower tier gear and think on your feet to survive. The games cinamatics are unmatched and I love the soundtrack.

12. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Best Fire Emblem game, taking the tactics and adding social aspect to greater depth. I love how you can play from all sides and see how things play out. The experience doesn't change a ton, but its just enough that if you enjoy the gameplay and world it makes each run worthwhile.

13. Super Mario Odyssey- I will admit this was the first 3D mario game I have ever played after playing the 2D ones a ton when younger (Since then I have played Galexy 1, which I still find Odyssey better). The game brought fun platforming, insane charm and the stars for post game added a fun thing to strive for without spoiling anything. I really enjoy this game and look forward to playing more 3D mario games (Guess who just pre-ordered the All Star Collection....).

14. Grand Theft Auto V- PS3 to PS4 to now PS5 its a neverending game. Open world games are a genre I mainly dropped this gen besides the games that really nailed it. GTA V really nailed it and gave a world that was fun to explore and perform stunts with a variety of vehicles and buildings. Adding first person into the experience this gen was also a fun touch to run through the game again. I didn't go as wild on the online aspect, when it was first availible with heist I did have a crew we would run through with but some of the highlights from that was running around and throwing snowballs at each other, not crazy missions.

15. The Last of Us - By no means does number 15 make it any less deserving of number 1. I am someone that once I feel like I have played a better version I will drop the game that originally perfected it down on my own list (And Last of Us 2 is on another level to every game). The story and world in this game are still fantastic and the multiplayer was some of the most fun I have had online.

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] Persona 5

[x] Yakuza 0

[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

[x] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

[x] Astro Bot: Rescue Mission

[x] The Binding of Isaac

[x] Earth Defense Force 5

[x] Stardew Valley

[x] Death Stranding

[x] Fire Emblem: Three Houses

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

[x] Grand Theft Auto V

[x] The Last of Us

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is the best game ever released, no other open world can get me to play with the systems for 1,200 hours
Overwatch still the best online shooter I will ever play, nothing gives me the feeling of that

[x] Overwatch

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the Nier: Automata demo and being underwhelmed and upset with how camera control would be wrestled away from time to time, writing it off that I would never play the game. But when it eventually came to Xbox and after all the positive word of mouth, I decided I needed to give it another chance and I'm glad I did. No other game has affected me as much as Nier: Automata has in the last 10 years.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to making a list, but honestly out of my top 10 any of them could be number 1.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
question: will multiple versions of the same game be combined in the results? like deadly premonition, deadly premonition director's cut, deadly premonition origins

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Information
Please remember to put you thoughts on all of the games you vote for when you cast your ballot.

Also you can vote for 20 games.

Pressing "enter" when adding a vote instantly submits a post, rather than moving to the next line and adding another game. You guys might want to fix that or else there'll be a lot of mistaken single-vote posts.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

[x] Fire Emblem: Three Houses

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Only three games deserves the title of game of the decade. BOTW, Persona 5, and Pokemon White 2
[x] Persona 5

[x] Pokemon White 2

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW & NieR: Automata are probably 2 of my favorite games of all time.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
edit: Seems like you can't edit votes. I'll make a new submission, sorry!

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Portal 2

[x] The Last of Us

[x] Red Dead Redemption 2

[x] Inside

May 17, 2019

[x] Pathologic 2

[x] Kentucky Route Zero

[x] Disco Elysium

[x] Spec Ops: The Line

[x] Rain World

[x] This War of Mine

[x] To The Moon

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
[x] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I even like the combat, breakable as it is. Production values are otherwise at or near the best in the medium.

Last edited:

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017

[x] Final Fantasy XV

[x] Portal 2

[x] Stardew Valley

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

[x] Divinity: Original Sin 2

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] Journey

[x] Red Dead Redemption 2

[x] Stardew Valley

[x] Celeste

[x] A Short Hike

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
[x] Kentucky Route Zero

[x] Deadly Premonition

[x] Disco Elysium

[x] The Outer Wilds

[x] Return of the Obra Dinn

[x] Nier Automata

[x] The Last Guardian

[x] Yakuza 6

[x] Ghost Trick

[x] Dark Souls

[x] Night in the Woods

[x] Tetris Effect

[x] Yakuza 0

[x] Yakuza Ishin

[x] Prey

[x] 428

[x] Nier Gestalt

[x] Lisa

[x] Jourey

[x] Bloodborne

This is roughly in ranked order, I think I'll probably move stuff around though. Still unsure if I should pick Yakuza 0 or Yakuza 6.

Definitely feels like my top 10 of the decade is weighted much more towards the back half of the decade, especially with the indie combo of Obra Dinn, Disco Elysium and The Outer Wilds all coming out very recently. Regardless, I think it was a great decade in gaming for me. Loved how big the indie scene has grown and all the incredible experimental stuff coming out there weekly. Still some great AAA games coming out as well, I think I largely favour Japanese AAA games in the recent years as they can feel a bit less derivative.

header.jpg
outer-wilds-key-art.jpg

DeadlyPremonitionTitle.jpg
t620x300-6d6a1411c0d9af05815cbc3919188ac5.jpg

header.jpg
header.jpg

header.jpg
header.jpg
ghost-trick-71.jpg
yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-screen-compressed-1280x720.jpg

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Even before writing this I can tell it'll be a weird-ass combination of games.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    What can I say about this game that hasn't been said a million times before? Here's a more uncommon opinion, perhaps: Weapons should have been less durable. You get so many weapons so fast and they take too long to break, which means you need to manage your inventory far too frequently.

2. Sonic Robo Blast 2
    My favorite platformer of all time, 2D or 3D, perhaps because it combines the strengths of both. It's the only platformer that has both the wide-open freedom and exploration of a 3D collectathon and the super difficult platforming and precise movement of a hardcore 2D platformer.
    The downside is that the game has a steep difficulty curve and is not beginner-friendly whatsoever, but it's downright addicting if it clicks with you.

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    "[Super Smash Bros. Ultimate] is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to [Super Smash Bros. Ultimate]."
    - Douglas Adams

Smash Ultimate sometimes feels like a game that shouldn't even exist. It's not just just how much stuff is in it, but that all that stuff is also top-quality, highly polished, and really fun. I feel bad for the poor QA team who had to test every interaction of every character in every situation. Just think of the absurd amount of work that goes into making Kirby alone with his 80+ different hats with unique animations/effects/voice clips for each.

4. Umineko: When They Cry
    There's a good reason why Umineko is among the most highly-rated visual novels. On the surface, it's an homage to And Then There Were None. 18 members of a rich family go to a fancy mansion on an isolated island. A sudden storm traps them there. Then they start being killed off one by one in closed-room mysteries. Which of the 18 is the killer? How'd they pull off those impossible murders?

Well, you're asking the wrong questions. The real mystery is why the killer did what they did, and the exploration of that question forms the heart of the story. It's quite an experience, and one that's stuck with me for a long time.

5. Portal 2
    I suspect there's a lot of people who played Portal 2 that didn't play the co-op campaign. You guys are seriously missing out. Co-op puzzle games should be more of a thing. I love the single player part of Portal 2 too, but the co-op is what bumped this up from rank ~10 to rank 5.

6. Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
    I'm cheating so that I can get both 999 and Virtue's Last Reward on this list. Only the latter was actually released this decade, but just putting VLR here doesn't make sense.

Although, maybe it's legitimate because the added flowchart and voice acting does genuinely make the vast majority of 999 better, even if the very end of the game is slightly worse. In a way, I can say the same about VLR—the very end is worse now that I know what happens in Zero Time Dilemma.

Oh well, it doesn't change the warm fuzzy feelings in my heart when I think about these games.

7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    By far the most flawed and unpolished game here, and considering that I have a fangame (Sonic Robo Blast 2) on this list, that's saying something.

Xenoblade 2 is a game of low lows but really high highs, and that makes it all worth it. When everything comes together perfectly, exactly as you planned, the only greater feeling is getting a really good turn in a card game.

I recently finished Xenoblade DE, and while it's a much more consistent game, I never got those same high highs.

8. Universal Paperclips
    At first glance, it seems super silly to put an idle clicker game in my top 10 games of the decade list, but this game somehow left a really memorable impact on me. Because it's free, short, and so easy to spoiler, I'd rather not say any more.

9. Kid Icarus: Uprising
    I actually used the included 3DS stand to play this game. It's completely ridiculous, but the controls suck otherwise. And that's an absolute shame—I cannot think of a game where its brilliance was hampered by a fatal flaw like Uprising was. I would buy a remaster/remake in a heartbeat.

I'm not entirely sure if I ranked this game so high based on what it is, or if I've been blinded by what it could be. Whatever.

10. Picross 3D: Round 2
    I dreamed of this game while I was playing it. I'd go to bed, close my eyes, and immediately be assaulted with visions of floating cubes. Possibly the most addictive puzzle game I've ever played.

[x] Sonic Robo Blast 2

[x] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

[x] Umineko: When They Cry

[x] Portal 2

[x] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2

[x] Universal Paperclips

[x] Kid Icarus: Uprising

[x] Picross 3D: Round 2

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
You guys need to include a comment or your ballot will not be counted.
---

So, my list is mostly all Soulsborne because... what can I say, they make the best games right now, and have been knocking it out of the park for this decade. That I don't need to rank them makes this easier, and I can just include them all, from Bloodborne to Sekiro to every Dark Souls game (only Demon's is disqualified due to its 2009 release).

Other notable releases of the decades include Dishonored 2, Hollow Knight, TLoU and other instant classics that should not be missed.

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Dark Souls

[x] Dark Souls 2

[x] Dark Souls 3

[x] Nioh

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] The Last of Us

[x] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

[x] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

[x] Dishonored 2

[x] Monster Hunter World

[x] Horizon Zero Dawn

[x] Fallout: New Vegas

[x] Deus Ex: Human Revolution

[x] Cosmic Star Heroine

[x] Vampyr

[x] Octopath Traveler

[x] Borderlands 2

[x] Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
[x] Anno 1800

[X] Bioshock Infinite

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Cities Skylines

[x] Dark Souls 3

[x] Deus Ex Human Revolution

[x] Deus Ex Mankind Divided

[x] Diablo 3

[x] Dishonored

[x] Dishonored 2

[x] Doom

[x] Fallout New Vegas

[x] God of War

[x] Guacamelee

[x] GTA V

[x] Hitman

[x] Hitman 2

[x] Horizon Zero Dawn

[x] The Last of Us

[x] Portal 2

[x] Prey

[x] Spiderman

[x] Uncharted 4

[x] Wolfenstein New Order

Plenty of great games that I look back to over the last decade.
Immersive Sims being high on the list.

jfyw9ZM.png
4MTHg59.png
UPsMUWh.png
TWihQrw.png
M03yWTR.png
6juTKdA.png
NI6jX4f.png
FKSmwJF.png
MKXJ2ip.png
opQkaUe.png
EQcyNUe.png
2QqskUb.png
6ynsgOr.png
a1ILGRr.png
AOo8Z1R.png
KpPJ0ku.png
uqytpwi.png
ghaupDg.png
qNGnIou.png
eQ96WI0.png
rZnxNQl.png
Y9LCqEB.png
EWsNzHj.png
QEpcHW0.png
EoVDOPt.png

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
tZNPyGB.png

1. The Walking Dead

I have been dreading this.

I've been able to properly express the way I feel about every single game I've ever played. It's never easy, but I always have some type of idea on how I was going to write or talk about a certain game before I started typing or talking. I am now staring blankly at my laptop's screen, writing this sad excuse of an opening paragraph, dragging it out quite a bit, might I add, so I hopefully can come up with something to write about on the spot, but I can't.

I don't think I can articulate how much The Walking Dead: Season One means to me, how it completely changed the way I consume video games, how it singlehandedly proved to me that video games are the best medium for storytelling, and how much it opened my eyes to what video games can achieve. I simply do not know where to begin. I'll try my best though.

Episodes 1 through 4 of The Walking Dead are great. They're full of extremely well written character moments and conflicts, and they're all surprisingly varied in terms of setting and general atmosphere (Telltale's TWD was my first foray into the world of TWD, so this impressed me quite a bit. The earlier seasons of the show do this exceptionally well too, and I assume the comics do as well). Each episode has its shocking moments as well as brilliantly written emotional moments. They struck a good balance of leaving you wanting more, while also managing to wrap up an episode specific arc or storyline. As much as I adore some of Telltale's other titles (three of their games are on my decade list), I have to admit that they never managed to find that balance again. I don't think any episodic game I've ever played has, to be honest.

I hate lumping episodes 1 through 4 of The Walking Dead together like that, because I could genuinely gush about each of them endlessly. I don't want to understate how meticulously and masterfully crafted they are, and just how vital they are for what comes after. I did lump them together for a reason, though. When I think about The Walking Dead, I don't think about meeting Clementine. I don't think about the freezer scene. I don't think about the Katjaa and Duck scene. I don't think about Vernon and Crawford. They are all some of my favorite moments in gaming history, but rarely the first thing that comes to mind.

I think about the events of Episode 5.

Episode 5 of The Walking Dead is quite possibly the most emotionally taxed and exhausted I've ever felt while playing a game.

It is brutal.

The balance of the previous episodes isn't there. It is a constantly tense, emotionally exhausting episode all the way through. It's aptly named "No Time Left," because it legitimately feels like you're on a time limit, even though there isn't one. In all the previous episodes, I'd usually take my time to explore and interact with everything to squeeze out every single bit of brilliantly written and voice acted lines. In the three times I've played The Walking Dead, I've never done that in Episode 5. I know for a fact that there isn't a time limit, but Telltale does such a good job of creating a tense atmosphere that you can't help but run through the episode.

In many ways, episode 5 is the worst episode of The Walking Dead because of all of that. There's no room for optional conversations, the setting isn't as interesting as the previous episodes and it's by far the shortest episode. Structurally, it feels completely different than the rest of the season, which makes it feel a bit off. I'm stating all of this to illustrate that ultimately, none of it matters. Because in the final minutes of the game, it happens.

You get to the jewelry store.

When I said I couldn't articulate how I feel about The Walking Dead, it was a bit of a lie, because I can go on and on about the first four episodes and the majority of episode 5. I was actually talking about this scene, or chapter, or whatever you want to call it. This is the scene that completely changed the way I consume video games. This is the scene that singlehandedly proved to me that video games are the best medium for storytelling. This is the scene that opened my eyes to see what video games can achieve. This is the one.

The final scene of The Walking Dead isn't an exciting QTE sequence. It isn't a montage scored by emotional music. It isn't a scene that's devoid of dialogue or music in an effort to seem artistic. It isn't a scene that ends with the main character looking into the distance or walking away to leave you thinking about what could happen next. It isn't a scene that cuts to black before it's "supposed" to in an effort to throw you off or shock you.

The final scene of The Walking Dead is an interactive conversation between a dying man and a little girl. It is fucking real, and it is fucking heartbreaking. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced before then.

It is, for all intents and purposes, a perfect scene. It is the culmination of everything the game has to offer. The gameplay mechanics, the performances, the score, the visuals, the cinematography all harmonize and synergize to create something that is truly unforgettable. It's the game's final hurrah, and it's incredible in the saddest way imaginable. This scene was far from the first thing in video games that has made me cry, and it absolutely was not the last, but the crushing weight I felt as Alela Diane's incredible "Take Us Back" was playing while the credits were rolling is something I haven't felt before or since. It affected me in ways I didn't know video games could. In ways I didn't know anything from the entertainment industry could. It took the respect and appreciation I already had for video games as a whole and increased it tenfold. I finally understood. This is what video games can do.

During the last decade, I've always gone back and forth on wether or not The Walking Dead takes the #1 spot as my favorite game of all time. Whenever I start second guessing myself, an image manages to somehow makes its way to me, be it through an article, or a Youtube video thumbnail, or any other way. It is this image of Clementine from the final moments of the game.

It has been 8 years since I first played The Walking Dead and that single frame, that single still image, still tears my heart to shreds.

It is always then when I realize that The Walking Dead: Season One had already taken that spot, and forever will.

2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Bloodborne
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Tales From the Borderlands
6. The Last of Us
7. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
8. The Wolf Among Us
9. Dark Souls
10. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
11. Life is Strange
12. Persona 5
13. Rayman Legends
14. Hollow Knight
15. What Remains of Edith Finch
16. The Last Guardian
17. Sayonara Wild Hearts
18. God of War (2018)
19. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
20. Xenoblade Chronicles
------------
[x] The Walking Dead

[x] Persona 4 Golden

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2

[x] Tales From the Borderlands

[x] The Last of Us

[x] The Wolf Among Us

[x] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

[x] Dark Souls

[x] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

[x] Rayman Legends

[x] Life is Strange

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] Persona 5

[x] What Remains of Edith Finch

[x] The Last Guardian

[x] Sayonara Wild Hearts

[x] God of War (2018)

[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
[x] Bloodborne

[x] Dark Souls

[x] Final Fantasy XIV

[x] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers and Iceborne are the latest and best expansions of my 2 favorite games of this gen.
Persona 5 is a peerless JRPG, absolutely loved it, the 100 hours it took to beat flew by.
Ultra SF4 is the best version of the best fighting game.
AC Black Flag because I love AC in general, and wanted to pick one that still left a great impression with me years later.
Tetris Effect is the best iteration of an all time classic.

[x] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

[x] Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

[x] Ultra Street Fighter IV

[x] Persona 5

[x] Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

[x] Tetris Effect

Last edited:

TheBioLover

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Journey
The sense of loneliness contrasted with a sense of joy and hope at the end of the game was unmatched in any other game imo.

[x] Overwatch
Without a doubt one of the most fun MP games I've ever played, even though I haven't touched it in a while I still have great memories of playing it.

[x] The Last of Us
Just one of the most affecting games I've every played personally, top tier storytelling and acting, matched with equally fun and tense gameplay.

[x] Mass Effect 2
Memorable characters, great gameplay, beautiful music, one of the best sci-fi stories in gaming, what more do you need?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

[x] Celeste

[x] Hollow Knight

[x] Return of the Obra Dinn

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

[x] The Binding of Isaac

[x] Slay the Spire

Oct 27, 2017
1. Persona 5. One of my favorite games if not my favorite game ever.
2. Yakuza 0. A fantastic entry point into one of my favorite series.
3. Devil May Cry 5. DMC IS BACK!!
4. Resident Evil 2. A fantastic culmination for Resident Evil.
5. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. The best fighting game of all time.
6. Marvel's Spider-Man. The best single-player superhero game.
7. Bloodborne. From Software's best game.
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The best stealth game ever made.
9. Mass Effect 2. BioWare's best game.
10. Batman: Arkham City. Batman at his best.

[x] Persona 5

[x] Yakuza 0

[x] Devil May Cry 5

[x] Resident Evil 2

[x] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Marvel's Spider-Man

[x] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

[x] Mass Effect 2

[x] Batman: Arkham City

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020

[x] Bloodborne

[x] Disco Elysium

[x] Dishonored 2

[x] God of War (2018)

[x] Mass Effect 2

[x] Nioh

[x] Prey

RealPopche

Aug 1, 2020
[x] Life is Strange

[x] Persona 4 Golden

[x] Portal 2

[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2

Haven't played most of the games on the list, so there are probably better candidates than some of these, but these are all rock-solid games imo.

Especially Nier, P4G and Wild Hunt.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
[x] Disco Elysium

[x] Persona 5

[x] NieR

[x] Dark Souls

[x] Fallout: New Vegas

[x] Mass Effect 2

[x] Slay the Spire

Last edited:

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Portal 2
Perfectly constructed, joyous to interact with and very funny.

[x] Prey
Fantastic sense of place, excellent writing and a beautifully designed capacity for open-ended problem-solving. Even with poor late game encounter design, this is a masterpiece.

[x] The Last of Us
A true journey with incredible mood and tense, satisfying enemy encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.