• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noobishwizard

Jul 21, 2018
Missed playing alot of recent games due to college, but here are mine.

CSGO - Game I've played the most this decade easily. Started in 2015, still playing it pretty much every week. It's an amazing competitive FPS game that rewards a ton of different skill-sets. There are a variety of different weapons that require different techniques. Just using the main rifles, the player should try to get familiar with tapping, bursting and spraying. Besides aiming, you can try and get better with nades, playing with teammates, trying different spots in different maps, etc. The different maps are all designed very well and requires different approaches to succeed. Playing super well allows you to win games by yourself but you can play with your team and win with your teammates if needed. I've played a ton of competitive multiplayer games over the years and none have kept me this engaged for this long.

Yakuza 0 - My favorite single player game of all time. I just had fun for the vast majority of time playing this game. From the engrossing characters, to the beautiful realized setting, the twist and turns of the story, the wide variety of side-activities and hilarious sub-stories. This game has it all for me. The music is awesome and has tons of variety. After playing subsequent Yakuza games, I've come to admire the game even more with how it substantiates the past of the two main characters and adds to story, context, and events of the future chronological games. 0 accomplishes this feat of making a prequel that adds to the past and future of the series while simultaneously being one of the best games I've ever played. I started this series with 0, and I think it's the best starting point for the series at this point.

Dark Souls - Played this one over the course of one summer before going to high school. It's probably the game that has influenced me the most throughout playing video games. Before Dark Souls, I kind of just bought games because they looked cool or fun. Now I really have to be interested and know what the game is to buy it. This game really taught me how to persevere and figure out the game to beat it. Most games I've played before it really held my hand. The feelings of accomplishment for getting through tough areas or hard bosses when I was playing this game may still be unmatched. I've played much harder games after beating Dark Souls, but I don't think they tested as hard since I beat it. The first half of the game before Anor Londo is perfect world and level design. I still marvel at the interconnected areas and how you could go and start anywhere you wanted. The player could potentially fight one of nine bosses as their first boss fight technically. That aspect has never been surpassed by subsequent From Software games and is still remains the pinnacle in that aspect after all these years.

Hollow Knight - My favorite metriodvania I've played so far. I had only played the first Ori in the genre before trying Hollow Knight. I have played a couple after this game but none have managed to engross me to the same level. As a huge fan of the Souls series, I love the fusion of Souls game mechanics with metriodvania. The controls are tight and precise, the world is vast and eerie, the bosses are memorable and provide tons of unique challenges and situations. The somber atmosphere and mood is created through the story and visual style and is further enhanced with the soundtrack. It's an amazingly packaged game and because of that I don't mind how long it takes to clear the game. I could've played this game for longer if there were more things to accomplish.

Bloodborne - Another fantastic addition to the series, and one that distinguishes itself with enough changes to the world, lore, aesthetic, and combat compared to its Souls bretheren. I think the combat is easily the best in the series I've played so far. The rally mechanic is a fantastic addition and really pushes the player towards the aggressive mindset required to best many of the fights in the game. What the game loses in the various variety of weapons choices in the Souls series, it gains with much better visceral combat encounters and much more brutal bosses. The enemy design is also the strongest in the series with many grotesque and terror inducing monstrosities. The Old Hunters comes with some of the best content in the entire series. Orphan of Kos was a brutal experience for me personally through, I don't think I've ever been in so much despair in a video game trying to muster up a resistance in my attempts to best him. A euphoric moment when I finally managed to do it for the first time.

Journey - This was a magical and unforgettable game for me. I played this around the time it came out on the PS4. My friend who had already played it told me about the other characters being actual players. Even still, throughout my session I had only met one other person in the game. I met him towards the second half of the game and we kept each other company for the entire phase. I would constantly use the button to communicate with the other player as we were in the part of the game where the environment was dark and enemy creatures were trying to hunt us. It was comforting that another player was there. Then at the broken bridge right before the end, I didn't make the jump, but the other player did. The other player kept communicating and stood still as I looked and hurriedly tried to get back on the bridge. But when I finally made it back, the other player wasn't there. Then finally passing through the last part of the game now desolate and alone, just like the area itself, left a really profound melancholy in me. And I felt a weird connection to my character avatar at that point. Then the crescendo ending sequence happened and I was blown away. Journey truly left me an unforgettable memory and gave me a different appreciation for video games personally.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - This is a criminally underplayed game. For fans of RPG, I think this game is an absolute must-play. The RPG systems and mechanics in thee game are incredibly in-depth and fun to use. Even simple stuff like equipment is handled so well in this game compared to many other games in the genre. The combat is fantastic in general. Bosses are threatening, mobs can overwhelm your party, and the environment can help/hinder depending on the situation. The player has to be attentive to get through many encounters. The world is large and fun to explore, though it's a bit empty and needs more content. The story is interesting but poorly executed with fairly shoddy dialogue and generally inane characters. The aesthetic and look of the game is also pretty lackluster. It's the biggest unpolished gem of a game I have ever played. The fundamental game designs are fantastic and if they could soothen the edges, it could easily be the best game I've ever played.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengence - One of the flashiest and funnest games I've ever played. Everything is over the top and the ride is fantastic. Amazing action combat with enough substance to make your decision making and compentance at the game count. The music is bombastic. The bosses range from cool, funny, ridiculous, and menacing with each being fairly unique and most giving unique challenges to the player. It really nails making the player feel like an unstoppable cyborg ninja. Hopefully a game like Revengence is made in the future.

The Last Guardian - The third Ueda game is another great entry in his resume. From the dispirate ICO to the grandur of Shadow of the Colossus; the Last Guardian delivers on creating an emotional bond between the player and Trico. The highlight of the game is how realistic and alive the game makes Trico feel. From his ridiculously animated features to how he reacts to command to the boy, the journeythat the boy and Trico experience. There isn't a game like the Last Guardian. The world is once again a fantasic and unique environment to explore and admire just like the previous two games. The story is shown as there is very little dialogue or characters involved. The climax and ending sequence for the game is fantastic. The soundtrack complements the game well but I think it's the weakest of the three games. Other than that, I though the Last Guardian delivered.

Doom 2016 - Another game that is just pure fun. The iconic FPS is revitalized once again in this brutal and satisfying edition to the franchise. The game looks great, sounds great, feels great, and plays great. I love how fast the Doom Slayer moves around in rooms like a hurricane delivering death and destruction to the wide variety of demons. There is a range weapons to choose from and I found most of them fun and useful. The rocket launcher, super shotgun, and gauss cannon were my favorites and I loved using each of them. Some of the levels in the were fantastic like climbing up the Argent Energy Tower and many others were fun to explore.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
[x] Dark Souls
[x] DOOM
[x] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Journey
[x] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] Yakuza 0

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Astral Chain
[x] Baba is You
[x] Bayonetta
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Factorio
[x] Fallout: New Vegas
[x] Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] NieR: Automata
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Pikmin 3
[x] Resident Evil 2 Remake
[x] Shadow of the Colossus
[x] Subnautica
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[x] The Long Dark
[x] The Wonderful 101
[x] Transistor

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
[x] Batman: Arkham City
[x] Bayonetta
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dishonored
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Inside
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Nioh
[x] Overwatch
[x] Portal 2
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
[x] Yakuza 0

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
When I think of my favorite games currently, the first three that pop in my head are Halo 3, Demon's Souls, and Spelunky. Since only one is actually eligible for this decade, I think it's safe to say Spelunky is my game of the decade. But it's such a specific slice of what I like in games (intensely difficult but fair and systems all firing off at play) and doesn't really tell the full scope. If I *had* to put a number one it'd probably be Spelunky. One of the few games I would even call perfect. There really doesn't need to be anything changed about it. It's just that splendid. It would take *too* long to go through everything but I'll just note Spelunky specifically because of that.

[x] Alpha Protocol
[x] Antichamber
[x] Bastion
[x] BioShock 2
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dark Souls 2
[x] Deus Ex Mankind Divided
[x] Devil May Cry 5
[x] Furi
[x] Hitman 2
[x] NieR
[x] Shadowrun: Dragonfall
[x] Spec Ops: The Line
[x] Spelunky
[x] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[x] The Outer Wilds
[x] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
[x] XCOM 2
[x] Yakuza 0

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Most of my picks have shown up on plenty of other lists, so I'll just give my reasons for some of the more overlooked titles.

428 Shibuya Scramble was originally released in Japan in 2008, but last decade was the first time anyone could read this unique visual novel in English. The character writing is fantastic, with a great mix of comedy, action and emotional drama. It's a long read, but it's incredibly well-paced and I loved switching between perspectives and influencing the way the stories intersect.

DJ Max Respect is the perfect package for music game fans with hundreds of songs in a variety of genres, challenging missions, heaps to unlock and a huge skill ceiling. Just pure rhythm gaming bliss without the need for any gimmicky peripherals or an expensive VR setup

Gravity Rush - I fell in love with the Moebius-inspired setting and the enchanting score. Playing Gravity Rush was disorienting at first, but manipulating gravity to soar and slide through vast floating cities is a thrill that few games could replicate.

[x] 428: Shibuya Scramble
[x] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
[x] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
[x] Final Fantasy XIV
[x] Fire Emblem: Three Houses
[x] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
[x] Gravity Rush
[x] Kid Icarus: Uprising
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The House in Fata Morgana
[x] Undertale
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] DJ Max Respect

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Destiny
[x] Portal 2
[x] Overwatch
[x] The Walking Dead
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Rocket League
[x] Among Us
[x] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
[x] Resident Evil 2
[x] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
[x] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[x] Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
[x] DOOM
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Ori and the Blind Forest
[x] Overwatch
[x] Ring Fit Adventure
[x] Rocket League
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Maker 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Titanfall 2

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
As this decade has gone on I've had increasingly less time to play. The selections I've made reflect that more then ever this is medium that has let me share time with loved ones whether it be online or through the exploration of a world.

[x] Apex Legends
[x] Battlefield 1
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Celeste
[x] Civilization VI
[x] Dustforce
[x] Five Nights at Freddy's
[x] Hearthstone
[x] Kirby: Planet Robobot
[x] Resident Evil Revelations 2
[x] Shovel Knight
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Streets of Rage 4
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Total War: Warhammer II
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Warhammer endtimes : Vermintide 2
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Overwatch
[x] God of War
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Apex Legends
[x] Resident Evil 7
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Among Us
[x] Journey
[x] Night in the Woods
[x] Portal 2
[x] P.T.
[x] Pokemon Black 2/White 2
[x] The Walking Dead
might include more later.

Last edited:

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Oops in my previous post I had way to many!

As this decade has gone on I've had increasingly less time to play. The selections I've made reflect that more then ever this is medium that has let me share time with loved ones whether it be online or through the exploration of a world.

On that metric I would put the Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as my game of the decade because of just how joyous it was to explore and create our own stories together. Other games had better stories or mechanics but nothing was a better more investing package. A breath of fresh air in a genre that I had long become used to.

[x] Battlefield 1
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Celeste
[x] Dustforce
[x] Hearthstone
[x] Kirby: Planet Robobot
[x] Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
[x] Shovel Knight
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Total War: Warhammer II
[x] Yakuza 0

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Hopefully I'm doing this right. Will add in writeups later, right now just trying to get in before the buzzer.

[x] Destiny 1
[x] Deus Ex: Human Revolution
[x] Diablo 3
[x] Divinity: Original Sin 2
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Inside
[x] Minecraft
[x] Persona 5
[x] Pokemon Black 2/White 2
[x] Portal 2
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Spelunky
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last Guardian

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Overall a pretty diverse list and I'm pretty happy what an awesome decade it has been.

From AAA to Indies and VR to the rise of GaaS and Esports titles I've included everything that made an impact for me.

[x] Batman: Arkham Knight
[x] Beat Saber
[x] Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Destiny 1
[x] Disco Elysium
[x] Forza Horizon 3
[x] Hearthstone
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Portal 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Undertale
[x] Yakuza 0

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Darksiders 2
[x] Final Fantasy VII Remake
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Gravity Rush 2
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Rayman Legends
[x] SOMA
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] SUPERHOT VR
[x] The Wonderful 101
[x] Transformers: Devastation

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a particular order for my ballot, but these were the defining games of the decade for my tastes. The only thing I know for sure is BOTW is #1, it's my favorite game of all time.

[x] Ace Attorney Investigations 2
[x] Cuphead
[x] Final Fantasy XIV
[x] Fire Emblem: Awakening
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Ring Fit Adventure
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Undertale
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
[x] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
[x] Detroit: Become Human
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Gravity Rush
[x] Journey
[x] L.A. Noire
[x] LittleBigPlanet 2
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Nioh
[x] Overwatch
[x] Persona 5
[x] Sleeping Dogs
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Yakuza Kiwami 2

Last edited:

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Comments in roughly chronological order:

Early in the decade one of the best games would be released. Mass Effect 2 was a perfect blend of action and role playing, streamlining the rough edges of the original while keeping the top notch world building, story telling and perhaps the best characters in an original western RPG. Despite its dozen of hours of length its never a chore to replay with the possible variations in plot choices and character builds.

Meanwhile 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors may start like just a particularly clever horror infused visual novel/puzzle game but expands to be a genre defying trip that makes the most of its format to tell an unforgettable narrative. Its 2013 sequel, Virtues Last Reward, continued to pile on the experimentation into a nearly as good and as essential experience.

Its not an understatement to say the original Dark Souls was an revelation that has had a wide influence on the medium. Expanding on its predecessor, Demon Souls, Dark Souls cohesive, well fleshed out world combined with a strict difficult which adds to the bleak atmosphere in an unforgettable experience. The sequels lost something but the formula would be perfected in 2015s Bloodborne which took Dark Souls structure to make something faster, darker and more unique.

While not revolutionary or experimental 2011s Rayman Origins is a near perfect 2D platformer. Honestly can't think of much you can criticise here, lovely visuals and perfect game feel creates an essential experience.

In contrast Journey was a one of a kind experience. A short game that leaves a lasting memory, both visually beautiful but a unique multiplayer that promotes an way of looking at each other that we typically don't see in games.

Arguably the best Vita exclusive and best 3D platformer of the decade was Tearaway. A purely joyous time that makes everything of its system and its format to ensure a constant parade of smiles with the typical charm expected from Media Molecule.

The decade saw several crowd funded games release but for me the best of these was The Banner Saga. All 3 episodes are high quality which an unparalleled visual style, mythic musical style and an adventure which so many difficult story choices that no ones experience will be the same.

2015 saw another of the true peaks of the decade. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is titanic journey. One of those games where everything is made to a high quality, the plot, the characters, the world and, yes, even the combat (on higher difficulties at least). The sort of game where you are eager to see what is over every hill because you know its going to be worth it.

Closing out one of the most enjoyable new series of the century thus far, Uncharted 4: A Thieves End, shows why Naughty Dog are amongst the best linear story tellers in the industry. More wonderful dialogue from likable characters and perfect pacing in one of gaming's best blockbuster franchises.

in 2016 we also saw two of the best First Person Shooters of also time. The rebooted DOOM invited us in to a addictive combat loop which never outstays its well into a doom-ripping, fleshing-tearing good time. Meanwhile Titanfall 2 was an adventurous joy with memorable level after memorable level combined with its predecessors wonderful multiplayer.

The last of my big 3 of the decade was Persona 5. Following on from one of my favourite games of all time was never going to be easy but somehow it was up to the challenge. An improvement on many levels including distinct dungeons and one of the best turn based combat systems in the business. Persona continues to have a fantastic cast of characters stuffed into still unique calendar system which means the game just absorbs free time.

I don't have much of the say The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild and I am sure many other will say how much they love it. While it is lacking in some areas it remains a beautiful way of exploring a world that keeps a must play experience.

God of War (2018) was a surprisingly mature follow up to a willingly immature series. Visually stunning it managed to introduce a new world, cast and satisfying take on combat into the most triple aaa or triple aaa experiences.

Similarly Red Dead Redemption 2 is a big BIG budget experience. However its also wilfully difficult to get into game to get into with slow animations and strict rules, a big difference from its instant gratification sibling GTA. Past that it is also a deeply profound western about relationships and the value of life that's emotional impact sneaks up on you.

Finally, and in one of the most old school experiences, is Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of the Elusive Age. Everything you could ever want in a meat & potatoes JRPG. Good combat? Check. Nice visuals? Check. Memorable characters? Check. A lovely world? Check. A great soundtrack? ...well nobodies perfect.

[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dark Souls
[x] DOOM
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Journey
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Persona 5
[x] Rayman Origins
[x] Red Dead Redemption 2
[x] Tearaway
[x] The Banner Saga
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Virtue's Last Reward

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to vote for more titles but since we can't weight our votes it'd feel kinda pointless to me to vote for everything, so I'm going with a more condensed list. Sorry to all the games I love that I omitted by doing this.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's rare for a decades old franchise to reinvent itself - and even rarer for it to succeed. Breath of the Wild proved that even after 30 years Zelda can still feel fresh while embracing its roots instead of betraying them. Nintendo didn't reinvent the wheel of open world games, but it took well-established ingredients and mixed them together in a way that nevertheless feels unique, fresh and groundbreaking. Never before felt the promise of the open world genre - explore and discover without boundaries - more real.

NieR Automata

Yoko Taro succeeds time and time again at creating unique worlds with unique stories and unique atmosphere that you can find nowhere else in gaming. Where he doesn't usually succeed, though, is at game design. NieR Automata combines the strenghts of Taro's creative genius where something as simple as a credit roll is more emotionally touching than $100 million AAA productions with the game design knowhow of Platinum Games. The result is a masterpiece that will forever be ingrained to my mind.

Bloodborne

I was afraid of trying Dark Souls. People always talked about how hard it is and, eh, frankly I don't like games that are hard just for the sake for it. The hype surrounding Bloodborne finally got me to try - and I immediately saw the light of day. It's not about being difficult. It's about being forced to be careful. For the first time in years, I felt like I'm exploring a truly threatening game world where I never could feel sure what's waiting next. In an age where most games are about quick rewards, where difficulty is defined as "giving the player the feel of challenge without ever letting them actually die or lose progress" this felt like a revelation and a reminder of why I started to love games in the first place so many years ago. (I have played all of the Dark Souls games by now, but Bloodborne remains my favorite)

Ghost Trick

After leading the Ace Attorney franchise to great success, Shu Takumi got a chance to create another new IP for Capcom - and it's one of the most creative, intelligent, funniest, unique and emotionally touching games I've ever had the joy of playing. It's a shame it wasn't the financial success it deserved to be - and I can only hope that Capcom decides to rerelease the game some day so more people get the chance to play this gem of a game.

Portal 2

"Can we build an entire game out of Portal?" - yes, yes we can. Portal 2 is not only one of the best designed puzzle games ever created, it's also one of the funniest. If Valve ever learns to count to three please let it be for Portal 3.

Xenoblade

In a time where morale among Japanese developers was low, when the narrative of Japanese developers being hopefully behind their western colleagues was everywhere, Monolithsoft and Xenoblade proved that JRPGs still have a lot of life in them. Modern design philosophies, a healthy look at titles like FFXI and the Japanese sense of game design made for a game that could stand head and toe to its western peers.

Hollow Knight

There are more Metroidvanias out there than sand in a desert and yet Hollow Knight doesn't only stand out among its peers, but is the one game of its genre that deserves to be listed right next to Super Metroid and Sympony of the Night as the best and most influential games of its kind.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Before 999 I never quite understood the appeal of Visual Novels. With its crazy twists, several endings that are each important to figure out the overall story and its amazing and brutal horror atmosphere 999 opened up an entire new genre for me.

[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Portal 2
[x] Radiant Historia
[x] Splatoon
[x] The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoneo

Jan 31, 2018
[x] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[x] Animal Crossing: New Leaf
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Bravely Default
[x] Bravely Second
[x] Dragon Quest IX
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S
[x] LittleBigPlanet 2
[x] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Maker
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last Story
[x] The Legends of Zelda: Skyward Sword
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
GAME OF THE DECADE 2020

It was tough only picking twenty games of the decade, because I could have easily listed 100+ games that I think deserve recognition. I limited my picks to one game from a franchise, which was a hard choice in some cases. I also didn't choose any remasters or remakes, even though there have been some excellent ones. I regret there are so many fantastic games I haven't gotten to play yet that I know could easily be on this list, eg. Disco Elysium, Hades, Outer Wilds, Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Honorable mentions to: Inside, Firewatch, Oxenfree, Journey, Transistor, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, The Banner Saga, Dark Souls, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Florence, Gorogoa, Sayonara Wild Hearts, The Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, NieR: Automata, Cuphead, Bayonetta 2, Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, The Last of Us Part II, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto V, Skyrim.

20. XENOBLADE CHRONICLES

Playing as Shulk and running through the fields to stare out at the towering frozen Mechonis in the distance is still one of the most jaw-dropping experiences I've had in an JRPG. I played Xenoblade Chronicles in a post-FFXIII 'towns are hard' world, where I thought I would never again experience the extraordinary world exploration in a JRPG like I did in FFVI-FFIX. Xenoblade Chronicles immediately took my breath away with the introduction of Shulk's day to day life on the Bionis, with the scope and scale of Shulk's home of Colony 9 being something that I'd seen in few games before, let alone a JRPG. The scale of journey that was to follow was awe-inspiring, with a staggering variety of locales to explore, as Shulk and co. traveled across both the bodies of the Bionis and the Mechonis. Being able to see an enemy across a giant field, walk up to it, and fight it without transitioning to a new battle screen was incredible. Whilst I ultimately think some areas were too large and repetitive for the amount of content in them, the game never ceased to surprise, right until the very end. This adventure was accompanied by a breathtaking soundtrack, which always perfectly captured the atmosphere of the area you were exploring, or the tense heat of battle. Whilst the story of Xenobalde Chronicles ultimately went in a direction that was a bit too impersonal for my tastes -- which the sequel did rectify, to its credit -- I still look fondly back on my time with Shulk and his friends. They were a charming group with good chemistry, supported by a great English localization. It's also a miracle that the repetitive combat lines didn't become grating, even 90+ hours in. It's almost more like a musical meme that would start up each time you went into battle. With Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition now being available on Switch, I hope more players follow in Shulk's footsteps across the Bionis and the Mechonis. There are few experiences like it.

19. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD

When I first stepped out of the Shrine of Resurrection and into the beautiful ruins of Hyrule, the first thing I did was climb a tree and pick some apples. And then another tree with more apples. And another. And another. I climbed walls for fun until Link's stamina ran out. I hunted in the nearby forest, aiming the bow poorly at the easily startled boars. I eventually explored further across the Great Plateau, and strained to watch Vah Rudania crawl across Death Mountain in the distance. I felt a sense of awe and freedom I hadn't experienced since Shadow of the Colossus, which would be magnified tenfold as the game continued.

Though I have frustrations with Breath of the Wild, there was no way I could leave such an innovative game off my Game of the Decade list. The art direction is incredible, for both Hyrule itself and the characters that reside within it. The way the runes from the Sheikah Slate give you so much interactivity with the world is a delight, along with possibilities that come with elemental weapons and arrows. You'll use them solving Shrines, unlocking Towers, finding Koroks, completing the Divine Beasts, or traversing around Hyrule itself. The world design is such that strong visual points of interest will encourage your exploration, instead of a quest marker on the map. The freedom to go wherever you want is joyous, too. There will be obstacles in your path as you go, whether it be icy snow, boiling heat or lightning storms, but even before you get the appropriate armor, you can make meals for temporary elemental immunity... or just see how far you can explore before dying. My favorite thing to do was to trek through a new area and see how far I could get before I ran out of resources.

Negatively, though, while the game is fantastic at leading you around the map with intriguing points of interest, there was the eventual realization that there was little to be found in Hyrule apart from the Shrines and Koroks. That isn't to say there aren't unique combat encounters or locations alongside the Divine Beasts and Hyrule Castle itself, but considering the sheer size of the map I would have hoped for more. Whilst an argument can be made that Hyrule itself is one giant dungeon, the reward was often too little for the scope of the journey undertaken. The enemy variety was also sparse. Due to enemy scaling and weapon durability that lasted all the way to the endgame, combat sometimes wasn't worth the hassle, despite the variety of tools the game gives you for encounters. The Master Sword was my go to for environmental obstacles as much as combat, because it wouldn't permanently break or need repairing like the other weapons. Between changing armor, weapons, or resources depending on the situation, I also found myself spending a lot of time in menus. Scrolling across a fully upgraded weapon inventory mid-battle to find a particular weapon became more and more tedious as the game went on.

Those frustrations aside, Breath of the Wild is truly generation defining, due to the sheer amount of freedom and interactivity with the world. And I will say, I put 200+ hours into the game without even touching the DLC, and I never got tired of finding a Korok and hearing, "Yahaha!" I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for the sequel.

18. TITANFALL 2

Titanfall 2 is one of the best FPS campaigns of the decade that you've probably never played. I always liken it to the love child of Portal and Vanquish. The game is expert paced, with each level either introducing a new mechanic or a clever twist on the level design that continues to surprise until the final moments of the game. There are more jaw dropping moments than I can count, and there were so many missions with uniquely memorable level design, the likes of which I have still rarely experienced. The level design had an incredible synergy with the gameplay in ways few games are able to achieve, and wall running feels as natural as breathing. Every aspect of Titanfall 2 has a fantastic rhythm and flow, whether it is wall running, weapon switching, or changing load outs on the fly with BT. The guns feel responsive, and everything is polished and smooth. Whether you're playing as Cooper, or Cooper piloting BT, the flow remains present throughout. Whilst Titanfall 2's story was comparatively simple, I still found it touching, and I hope that we'll one day get a sequel. I should add that one of my proudest gaming achievements was beating Captain Lastimosa's score in the training simulation. It's sad, but true.

17. BLOODBORNE

Choosing between Dark Souls and Bloodborne for this list was hard. How do you pick between a game that rightfully popularized an entire subgenre, or the game that polished it to perfection? Both have incredible interconnected level design, beautiful art direction, memorable NPCs/enemies/boss encounters, snappy and responsive gameplay, a variety of weapons at your disposal to suit your desired play style, and excellent follow up DLCs. Ultimately, though, I chose Bloodborne for its Lovecraftian setting of Yharnam, the horror of which escalates further and further you delve into its world. There have been few pieces of media that have been such a love letter to the true existential horror that is Lovecraft, and Bloodborne does so with delight with its own unique twists. There's no describing it, you just have to experience it. Even more so than the previous Souls games, Bloodborne also took me even further out of my comfort zone and forced me to be braver in combat, as there was no longer a shield to hide behind. It is also to your benefit to stay smartly on the offensive with the ability to regain back your health as long as you damage your opponent shortly after taking damage yourself. It's unfortunate that some fantastic boss encounters are locked to the Chalice Dungeons, that involve a lot of tedium to get there. The pay-off is worth it if you have the patience. Regardless, Bloodborne is an extraordinary experience that will challenge you, delight you, and make your skin crawl. May Miyazaki give us eyes so we can see.

16. WHAT REMAINS OF EDITH FINCH

Picking just one game out of Annapurna's publishing catalog is a tall order, with so many talented developers making such brilliant games under their banner. What Remains of Edith Finch from Giant Sparrow is ultimately my pick, because anyone who has played it knows how cleverly the game integrates story and player interactivity into the level designs of the each character's vignette. The story of Lewis highlights the game's utter brilliance of player interactivity and narrative, and the story of Gregory is one that is still a devastating gut punch to think about to this day. What Remains of Edith Finch constantly keeps the player engaged with the world throughout, which can be a problem with games that fall within the similar adventure game/'walking simulator' genre. If you haven't explored the complicated and turbulent history of the Finches, I recommend you visit the Finch family home as soon as possible. You won't regret -- nor forget -- it.

15. LIFE IS STRANGE

It's been years since Life is Strange was released, and I still long for Arcadia Bay, like it was a place I genuinely visited and look back on with a fond nostalgia. I can almost smell the sea breeze, the stuffiness of the Blackwall Academy's halls, the sizzling of bacon in the Two Whales Diner, the smelly old shoes in the cluttered dormitories... and Max's dead plant. This is all thanks to Dontnod's impeccable attention to detail and striking art direction, alongside the memorable cast of characters. The pacing of Life is Strange is snappy, with drama and intrigue beautifully built across the episodes, whilst still not sacrificing quieter character moments nor freedom of player exploration. The tension, horror, and surreal nature of the world is always palpable and heightened due to the player interactivity via Max. Some of the later episodes turn familiarity against you in deeply unnerving and claustrophobic ways. The time travel mechanic was smartly implemented, and the writers did such a great job with Max's possible choices that I'd often be rewinding and replaying the various scenarios because I couldn't pick between them. Life is Strange is also a superb example of don't write 'strong' female characters: write interesting, compelling, and flawed ones. It's because of this that Max and Chloe ended up having one of my favorite dynamics in gaming. Their relationship is raw, awkward, and touching. Via Max's journey, Dontnod also explores some heavy subjects, but all of these were approached with such a deft hand that they never felt gratuitous, objectifying, or exploitive. Max, Chloe, and Arcadia Bay will stay with me for many years to come, and I long to return there. (...though I still feel bad about killing Max's plant.)

14. GOD OF WAR (2018)
It would have been safe and easy choice to make 2018's God of War a clean reboot, now set in Norse mythology as opposed to Greek. Instead, the team at Santa Monica Studio chose the gargantuan task of making it a sequel to the previous God of War games, leaving Kratos' bloody rampage of revenge throughout ancient Greece still canonical. Kratos evolved from being comparatively one-dimensional into a multifaceted character, whilst still believably feeling like we were playing as the same character we met in the first God of War. He's a man haunted by his past, grieving for the loss of his wife, and trying to raise his young son alone, to clumsy results. The father/son journey Kratos and Atreus go through over the course of the game is beautifully written, and is an important deconstruction of toxic masculinity. The two combine well in combat, with Atreus being a valuable ally throughout, and you desperately feel his loss in the few moments he isn't around -- or isn't interested in listening to your commands, in a brilliant combination of story and gameplay.

It's also a credit to Santa Monica Studio that they not only gave us the memorable Blades of Chaos in the original games, but now the Leviathan Axe as well. The axe handles superbly, and creates an excellent flow to combat, whether it is used up close, thrown, or is catching an enemy from behind. The runic attacks add another layer of complexity to combat, and finding a rhythm is extremely satisfying. This was taken up to another level with the bonus bosses and the Muspelheim Trials. That being said, as incredible as the combat was, some of my fondest memories of God of War were sailing around the Lake of Nine, listening to the bantering of Kratos, Atreus, and Mimir, along with Mimir's many stories.

God of War's camera following Kratos in an unbroken tracking shot is also an astonishing achievement, with the few necessary cuts cleverly hidden. While as a consequence the game lost the pulled-back scale from the previous entries in the series, where you could be a tiny speck as Kratos fighting on a giant Titan, the camera choice gave the game an intimacy appropriate for the journey that Kratos and Atreus embark on. Seeing Jormungandr arise from the water for the first time from Kratos' perspective was awe inspiring. With God of War, Santa Monica Studio made an astonishing achievement of building on the echoes of the past whilst creating something entirely new, with excellent groundwork for future -- and that was one hell of a sequel hook, goddamn.

13. RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
When Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced, many players -- myself included -- grumbled that we weren't playing as John Marston. Who's this Arthur Morgan? One of Dutch's gang? Well, he's got a lot to live up to, and I don't know if I'm going to like playing as him.

...I adored Arthur even before the end of the prologue. (Touché, Rockstar and Roger Clark.)

As with Red Dead Redemption, the sequel is also a brilliantly written and memorable journey. Arthur is a richly fleshed out protagonist, who can be more of a humorous gruff softie or a ruthless outlaw depending on your choices. I loved seeing his sketches and musings in his notebook. The Van der Linde gang are a striking group, lead by Dutch himself. Dutch's character is another highlight, well-written and impeccably acted by Benjamin Byron Davis. You know that any time Dutch talks that he's full of shit, but he's such a captivating character that you're riveted regardless. There are so many fantastic interactions with the entire Van der Linde gang, but these have a bittersweet weight to them. Even in the most joyous moments, you know the gang can't last due to the existence of Red Dead Redemption.

The world itself is as much of a star as Arthur. There aren't as many densely placed points of interest as other open world games, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is often content to just let you just breathe and take in the scenery. Well, that's before you're held up by outlaws or suddenly mauled by a hungry carnivore. One of my most memorable times in Red Dead Redemption 2 was spent upgrading Arthur's satchel. Since his inventory space was pitiful, I did this fairly early into my playthrough. Acquiring perfect pelts required a lot of time and patience, particularly the perfect cougar pelt. It took many in-game days camping out by Little Creek River in West Elizabeth. Arthur died to the cougars as much as he killed them, honestly. When I finally got the perfect pelt, I made my way back to Pearson with my heart in my throat, terrified that something would happen and I'd lose my prize. Finally crafting that Legend of the East Satchel was a bizarre catharsis of triumph over such a simple, yet practical, fashion accessory.

Red Dead Redemption 2 certainly isn't without its well-discussed flaws. The tedium in animation priority in a game one could easily put 100+ hours into is deeply frustrating, and it was already grating at the five hour mark. I infuriatingly failed many a mission not because I died, but due to the fact I wasn't walking quickly enough behind an NPC or stopped to pick up much needed loot. The missions were great in isolation, but created an extreme dissonance in a game that otherwise was all about incredible freedom. The random encounters showed the game's cracks, too, as there is only so many times one can save a woman from under a trapped horse before losing patience.

Still, like for so many players, it's easy to look over the frustrations and flaws of the game considering what a vibrant world and cast of characters Rockstar created in the final days of the Wild West. When I think of Red Dead Redemption 2, my first thought is Arthur riding across sweeping green plains, coat swaying in the breeze, patting his horse with a fond, "That's my girl."

12. PERSONA 5
Persona 5 and I didn't get off to the best start. After such a memorable beginning to the game with Joker arriving in Tokyo, teaming up with Morgana, Ryuji, and Ann to take down Kamoshida, there were soon small irritations that began to build up. There were repeatedly many circular moments of dialogue, where the point of the conversation would be resolved early on, and yet the characters would still keep talking/texting. The social links were far more shallow that Persona 4, let alone Persona 3: FES/PSP. The episodic nature of the game felt more apparent without the thrilling murder mystery aspect of Persona 4's plot to keep the intrigue going. By the beginning of the fourth palace, I needed a break. I didn't return for well over a year. When I eventually restarted the game with a clearer understanding of what to expect from the game's pacing, I couldn't put it down. That isn't to say I still don't have my complaints, because dear god I do -- the game's plotting is a structural abomination, it has a thousand endings by even JRPG standards, which are made all the worse by the new story content after the original game's ending in Royal.

...and yet, it had to be on my Top 20 list, even over Persona 4: Golden. The Phantom Thieves themselves are endearing, brought to life by Soejima's impeccable character design and a strong voice cast in both Japanese and English. Tokyo is beautiful, with a great attention to detail. The UI design is stylish like no other game without sacrificing a snappy response time or clear readability. The turn based combat was addictive and thrilling, which is saying a lot from someone who doesn't have much patience for turn based combat. The fantastic soundtrack that accompanies it all varies from smooth jazz to upbeat melodies to relentless pounding boss battle themes. Between my playthroughs, I put 200 hours into Persona 5, and I'm still not sick of listening to Last Surprise. How is that possible? Even though thematically the game frequently becomes hypocritical, I still found it relatable, emotionally effecting and relevant to our current times, especially the ending. Though the journey was very long and dragged in places, Persona 5 and Phantom Thieves stole my heart, despite my best efforts. It's an awful cliché, but true.

11. HOLLOW KNIGHT
When you, as the Hollow Knight, first arrive at desolate little town of Dirtmouth, it's impossible to comprehend the immensity of the scale of the journey that awaits you. There are beautiful green forests and gardens, decaying ruins, raining cities, toxic wastes, and dark depths that contain creatures to be feared, all with an atmospheric soundtrack to match. The game balances map usage and fast travel in innovative ways, with both needing to be earned. The kingdom of Hallownest has memorable NPCs dwelling throughout its ruins, many with their own stories that develop over the course of the game. The history of Hallownest itself is intriguing to piece together through characters and environmental storytelling. The sheer amount of unique enemy designs is astonishing -- some to be pitied, many to be terrified of. The gameplay is snappy and responsive, with so many possibilities for character builds. It is astonishing, then, that all of this was created by a team of three people. The level of polish to Hollow Knight is extraordinary, along with the sheer amount of content. I can't wait to travel to the kingdom of Pharloom in Silksong with Hornet to see what beautiful and terrifying surprises Team Cherry has for us there.

10. HORIZON: ZERO DAWN
I often find with open world games that I either: a) get bored with combat, because both the enemy variety and the gameplay itself eventually becomes stale, or b) very rapidly lose interest in scouring the world for collectibles, because it's a waste of time. Horizon: Zero Dawn changed my perspective on both of these things.

I've never played an open world game where the combat and interacting with enemies doesn't grow repetitive, even when you're overpowered. There is a surprising unpredictability to Horizon's world. Even though the machines have their own patrol areas, it just takes one wrong move whilst fighting one machine to alert another, and suddenly hellfire can be raining down upon you. The variety is fantastic when it comes to Aloy's weapons and freedom in approaching enemy encounters. Fighting the machines themselves is a satisfying puzzle, and you're continually learning and refining the quickest ways to take them down without wasting resources. Do you want to override machines so that you have a friendly buddy? Do you want to corrupt them so they maul each other in a glorious free-for-all? Do you want to do both at once and jump into the fray yourself? How do you feel about explosions? All choices are valid! It's also extraordinary that there are so many unique enemy designs. Not only are the machines themselves incredibly detailed with many components that can be removed, but the amount of varied attack patterns always keeps you on your toes. This was refined further in The Frozen Wilds DLC, to terrifying results. The short version: machine bears and lots of fire.

Horizon's world building was so addictive and well-thought out that I was desperate for even the slightest scrap of information to find out more. It's the only open world game where I've obsessively devoured notes and audio logs, and been actively disappointed that I haven't been able to find them all. There were many clever ideas, too, with collectibles being excerpts from radio broadcasts, news reports, propaganda, personal letters -- the game continually keeps it fresh. There's even an amateur song recording! There are some absolutely horrifying audio logs to be found from the past, and the voice work is of a high calibre throughout. Going into Horizon, I was baffled with how the animalistic machine design were going to be justified in a comparatively primitive post-apocalyptic world -- and they are, with surprising results.

Horizon's story is smart and equally bittersweet, and is easily one of my favorites of this generation. It combines a detective 'whodunnit' story of the past with Aloy's coming of age story in the present, with very emotional results. It was unfortunate that the present day story wasn't nearly as intriguing as the one Aloy was uncovering in the past, but thankfully the two come together for a deeply satisfying result. Whilst the game is fairly self-contained as is, there are multiple intriguing plot hooks that I hope will be explored in future sequels.

Whilst Aloy might not have the nuance of other protagonists on this list, I wasn't expecting to be as emotionally effected as I was by seeing a female protagonist in AAA game set off on her own unique Hero's Journey. She's now one of the main faces of the PlayStation brand. It means a lot that a generation of kids get to grow up with Aloy to look up to, and I can't wait to journey with her again in Horizon: Forbidden West, to uncover further mysteries of the past.

9. THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT
When I think of The Witcher 3, I can still almost feel the breeze in my hair, hear the howling of the wind, and the sudden rush of adrenaline at the realization that there is some creature moving through the trees, ready to pounce on Geralt. The Witcher 3 is a game that constantly rewards your exploration with quality side-quests or Witcher contracts, which are as engaging as any of the main quests to the point it becomes blurry as to what content was mandatory or not. The level of quality in the writing throughout The Witcher 3 is staggering, especially as side-quests in most games are often filler and a way to get more experience. There were so many unforgettable moments of story content that I could purely spend 1000+ words talking about that alone. The amount of unique NPCs continued to surprise throughout the game, as did the quality of their voice work and the polished animation. If you don't immediately find new story content whilst travelling, the weapons, diagrams, potions, and valuable items to uncover means your time is never wasted, which is something I can say for very few open world games. (Well, the exception being the points of interest within Skellige's ocean. Which I may have completed in one playthrough. Yes, I hate harpies.)

The locations are as memorable as the quests and characters you'll find within them. There is the barren and withering White Orchard, the green fields of Velen, the bustling Novigrad, the haunting frozen beauty of Skellige, and bittersweet ruins of Kaer Morhen. The soundtrack expertly captures the atmosphere of every location Geralt travels to, and in combat, becomes a primal wail that immediately gets the blood pumping. The combat itself provides a lot of variety in how you prefer to play Geralt, which becomes more diverse again with the DLC expansions. The amount of time I had to spend in the inventory was frustrating, though, and was a necessity on higher difficulties between using potions, checking ingredients, and needing to quick check the bestiary.

One of the other weaker aspects of the game is the pacing of the main quest. While enjoyable for the most part, it ultimately treads water until you reunite with Ciri, then suddenly moves at a blinding pace. I wish more of the main quest had been optional (particularly the Novigrad portion with Dandelion), or that Ciri had been introduced much earlier. The back quarter of the game feels weighed down with important plot points where there had been so few up until then. That isn't to say the journey to get there is without its delights, and Geralt's nearest and dearest are an enjoyable cast of characters to spend time with, along with the large supporting cast Geralt will interact with throughout his travels.

Credit also has to be given to the fantastic DLCs Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, of which there was not even the slightest dip in quality of content from the base game. There were many improvements, too, as both DLCs have memorable, well-paced main stories without losing quality with any side-quests, contracts, or exploration, and bring even more options for customizing Geralt for combat.

It's hard to put into words the feeling of playing The Witcher 3, as reflecting on the game brings back a rush of memories of stories, monsters, locations, and an atmosphere few games can match.

8. NIGHT IN THE WOODS
It still astonishes me that some of the most believably 'human' characters I've experienced in the last decade was a cast of anthropomorphic animals. Night in the Woods follows college dropout Mae on her return to her hometown of Possum Springs and the mystery that unfolds there, accompanied by her friends Bea, Gregg, and Angus. All of the cast are nuanced, flawed, and tragic, whether it is the main leads, Mae's family, or the inhabitants of Possum Springs. The game's dialogue is excellent -- laugh out loud funny one moment, and then devastatingly philosophical and poignant the next.

One unexpected enjoyable aspect to Night in the Woods was the almost Persona-esque slice of life aspect to the game's day-to-day formula and character interactivity. While it's realistic that you can't see every scene in one play through as Mae can't be in two places at once, I recommend playing the game twice, as there is so much fantastic content that can be missed, and unique storylines with Mae's friends. Filling up Mae's notebook is a delight, and the content will vary depending on what choices you make or the people you've met. Exploring the town for little side stories is engaging, and there is something new every day. More areas of the town will open up the further you get through the game. The stories of Mae, her friends, and the townsfolk are cathartic, heartbreaking, and depressingly relatable. Night in the Woods has extremely important things to say about mental health, family, relationships, growing up, nostalgia, belief, and small town/failing industry. The prominence of LGBTQ+ characters in the main cast is a wonderful surprise, and the relationship between Gregg and Angus is wonderfully written.

When it comes to gameplay, Night in the Woods had so many clever moments that think outside the box, eg. shoplifting with Mae, or carrying the head of an animatronic robot up the stairs to disastrous results. I was surprised by how well the mini-games were implemented, too. I'm addicted to playing Mae's guitar. (Attempting to beat the roguelike game 'Demon Tower' on Mae's computer, however... life is pain.) The game has impeccable art direction, and a fantastic use of strong character design that works well in silhouette. The soundtrack is terrific, and the band songs are damn earworms.

Night in the Woods is a coming of age story that will make you laugh and cry, and possibly shut the blinds in case there is someone -- or something -- out there, watching and waiting.

7. SOMA
There are very few games that have haunted me like SOMA has. It's an experience that leaves you wrestling with the decisions you made, with a strong side of existential crisis. After I finished the game, finally free from PATHOS-II, the sky almost felt bluer, the grass greener, the air smelt fresher. I frequently wonder what I would have done in the protagonist's place. How would I have reacted? The game doesn't judge you for your choices, but leaves that agonizing moral quandary up to yourself. Was my choice a kindness? Was it cruelty? To stay as spoiler-free as possible, SOMA is one of the smartest, most devastating pieces of science fiction that I have experienced in any form of media. Uncovering what had befallen those who worked at PATHOS-II was a heartbreaking and horrifying experience. Though there are enemies in SOMA, there is no way to fight back -- your only choice is to run, adding to the game's atmospheric powerless claustrophobia. Special mention has to go to the complex Catherine, who alongside Firewatch's Delilah is one of the most memorable companions of the decade. My time at PATHOS-II is one I'll never forget. Sometimes I wish I could, to shake off that existential dread, but it's a game that made me look at both myself and the world in a different way, which is the most valuable thing one can take from a story.

6. MASS EFFECT 2
There is hope, determination, and dread going into the final mission of Mass Effect 2 as Commander Shepard, a feeling captured effortlessly by Jack Wall's 'Suicide Mission'. Standing in the briefing room choosing how best to utilize your squad is an overwhelming one, a moment that the entire game has been leading up to. Are all your squadmates loyal? How well do you know their talents and weaknesses? Is your ship upgraded enough? Once the mission starts, there is no going back -- depending on your choices, you could have causalities even before you've arrived in enemy territory. Whilst the plot of the original Mass Effect is fantastic and still easily the strongest in the trilogy, successfully surviving the Suicide Mission with a fully loyal squad is a moment few games have topped, and that's one of the many reasons why Mass Effect 2 made this list. The game wouldn't have been nearly as effective if it wasn't for a likeable cast of characters with diverse skill sets, and Shepard gaining the trust of each of their squad members was deeply satisfying. Gaining that respect carries over into gameplay, with an additional skill to unlock if your squadmate is fully loyal. Mass Effect 2's combat is also an excellent and addictive evolution from the first game, now a more polished TPS game whilst still retaining RPG elements. While ME2 lost the intriguing open world exploration of ME1, Mass Effect 2's missions became tightly crafted memorable experiences instead, whether it was main missions, recruitment/loyalty missions, side quests or the fantastic DLC content. I've replayed Mass Effect 2 many times over the years, and I never tire of meeting Shepard's squad once again, gaining their loyalty, and venturing forth into the unknown.

5. UNDERTALE
When it comes to video games I love, I usually try to experience as much content as the game offers. Undertale is a different matter. There is a version of this game I have never played, amazing bosses I've never fought, dialogue I've never seen, music I've never heard in-game. Every so often I'm tempted to do an alternate playthrough, wondering, 'Could I? Should I?' But my answer still comes back to 'no'. Those who have played Undertale would understand why I might feel this way.

In your journey through the Underground, you'll meet an instantly unforgettable cast of characters, all with their own stories. Undertale's story is irrevocably entwined into its gameplay and how you approach encounters. Trying to finish encounters without combat will offer you many unique options, as you dodge back and forth in a tiny box trying to avoid attacks. Finding the right combination of actions that will appease a monster was always a delight, often with either humorous or heartwarming results. The varied bullet hell gameplay itself never ceased to surprise, all the way up to the final boss. I'd often find myself laughing out loud at the clever twists on the usual bullet hell format or groaning in frustration at the difficulty spikes, particularly with the bosses. Undertale also can't be talked about without mentioning Toby Fox's incredible soundtrack, which can be humorously earworm-y, absolutely majestic, heartwarming, or downright terrifying in equal measure. It's extraordinary from beginning to end.

Undertale exemplifies the thrilling possibilities of gaming as a medium for interactive storytelling without compromising quality gameplay. For those who haven't experienced it, go for a walk, take a tumble into the Underground, and let your heart guide you.

4. NIER: GESTALT
Starting NieR for the first time and hearing Laura Bailey bellow profanities over a black title screen is still an experience unmatched to this day. You'd think that an introduction like that would have prepared me for the endless gut punch of what was to come, but when it comes to a Yoko Taro game, few things can. Choosing NieR: Gestalt over NieR: Automata wasn't easy, as Automata is such a rich game thematically in its exploration of humanity via those who, ironically, are not human. But NieR's story still tugs at my heart to this day, accompanied by its memorable cast of characters. Seeing these outcasts come together to become a tight-knit family was incredibly moving, with an equal amount of laughter and tears. And in true Taro style, that's just Ending A. All of this is accompanied by Okabe's breathtaking soundtrack, which is capable of such brittle beauty, haunting grandiosity, and raw terror. Special mention to 8-4's localization, and the fantastic English cast. NieR is a game I look forward to more players experiencing with the upcoming NieR: Replicant remake. You won't regret it.

3. THE LAST OF US
The Last of Us is a comparatively simple game in contrast to its daring and innovative sequel, but it is such a tightly crafted experience that ultimately there could be no other choice for me. When I think of impeccably paced games, The Last of Us is masterclass, just behind the original Portal. Each cutscene starts at the last possible second, and stops the moment the point of the scene is done. The downtime between heart pounding gameplay segments is always placed at the right time to give you a breather, before ramping up the tension again. For me, there is no content in TLoU that needs to be removed, nothing to be added. I can't say that for many pieces of media.

Joel and Ellie's relationship and journey is meticulously plotted, going from wary strangers, to allies, to a mutually protective father and daughter. Both characters are brought to life by incredible performances by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson respectively. Each new location Joel and Ellie journey to is distinct and purposeful, with its own story to tell via environmental storytelling and artifacts. Joel and Ellie are accompanied on their travels by Gustavo Santaolalla's beautiful score, which is as much of a character in the world as Joel and Ellie are. Santaolalla captures both the post-apocalyptic beauty of the world, along with terror of both the Infected and ruthless humans that live within it. The game's supporting cast are expertly utilized, all being smart foils to both Joel and Ellie whilst still feeling like their own unique characters.

The game's tense atmosphere is supported by its gameplay, with inventory access and crafting always happening in real time. Whilst the level design isn't as naturalistic as the game's sequel, there are so many unforgettable encounters that are seared into my brain. Like the cutscenes, none of the gameplay segments outstay the welcome, moving smoothly from one encounter to the next.

Towards the end of the game, Joel tells Ellie that they don't have to continue on their quest. Ellie responds, saying, "After all we've been through, after everything I've done... it can't be for nothing." And it certainly wasn't at a meta level, because the release of The Last of Us irrevocably changed the gaming landscape forever.

2. FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS
Ring a ding-ding, baby. All these years later, Fallout: New Vegas is still a dream combination of an RPG for me. The aesthetic of Fallout's post-apocalyptic world trapped in the 50s meeting the glamour of Las Vegas is so striking, accompanied by Inon Zur's atmospheric score and the brilliantly chosen licensed music. This artistic flair also carries over into a large portion of the quests, which are named after licensed songs from the era. Regarding the quests themselves, the amount of player freedom is astonishing. You can complete the game without directly killing anyone in combat, with the help of some NPCs -- or alternatively, you can kill every living creature you meet, and still complete the game via Yes Man. The variety in dialogue options and quest outcomes is still unmatched by very few games, the true depth of which I didn't understand until picking up the guide book many years later. The Courier's companions, like the world they reside in, are weighed down by their pasts, and all have their own memorable quests and variety of endings.

Fallout: New Vegas also has some of the best DLC ever made, all of which beautifully entwine with the base game thematically whilst having their own unique tone. There is the claustrophobic and heart pounding Dead Money, the tragic beauty of Honest Hearts, the humorous Old World Blues, and the menacing finality of Lonesome Road. It's been many years since I first played Fallout: New Vegas, and it's ironic that I've struggled with one of the main themes of the game ever since: letting go. But I don't think I'm the only one. Fallout: New Vegas came out in 2010, and it's still one of the gold standards that all RPGs are compared to.

1. THE LAST GUARDIAN
I haven't replayed The Last Guardian since release. That isn't because it wasn't a fantastic game, but because I don't know if I'm emotionally equipped to handle a replay yet. I also have fears that the next Trico I meet may be different from the Trico I journeyed with, as I've read anecdotal accounts of that nature. And, oh, Trico! What an extraordinary creation from Ueda and his team, to the point it almost feels wrong to call Trico a 'creation'. Video games understandably have a hard time in general of maintaining an illusion of life, which frequently falls apart for me when you can see how scripted your companion's decisions are. With Trico, the illusion rarely broke. He felt like a real creature that you and the boy were scaling the world of The Nest with. His train of thought felt like a genuine, organic curiosity, and he would react in response to interactions with the player. The constant flow from one animation to the next was incredible, and like nothing I've seen before or since. Though I found Trico to be extremely responsive, the potential unpredictability of your interactions with him was thrilling, as was his autonomy. Every time he followed your commands, it felt like a joyous moment of understanding between the two of you, moments that you'd worked towards by caring for him. Trico's vocalizations also helped with the synergy between him and the player, and were a non-intrusive way to hint that you might not be approaching a puzzle correctly. ...the realization that I was the annoying, dim-witted companion was quite humbling.

I also quickly learned the best thing to do when entering an area was to watch Trico, as he'd generally look or head to where you had to start. There were no visible quest markers, just an unspoken understanding that he would lead you right to where you needed to go. I also wasn't expecting Trico to be as intelligently autonomous as he was in general. There were plenty of platforming sections with him where no directions were needed. He'd observe, and then move onward. It was a sensible choice, as manually telling him to jump all the time would be tedious.

The scope and scale of The Last Guardian's platforming is like nothing I've experienced before or since. Whilst the platforming wasn't hard as such, the vulnerability of the boy and the scale of the world made exploration harrowing, especially when the ground was so far away that you couldn't even see a hint of it. The scale felt even more ludicrous when I'd see our friendly giant Trico bounding back and forth in the distance, feathers blowing in the breeze as he called for the boy, with the building you both had come from almost tiny Lego sized in the distance. The Last Guardian still has some of the most well-crafted level design alongside Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and the scale of these levels continued to astound throughout the entirety of the game. Getting higher and higher within The Nest gives you a fantastic sense of how far you've come, and how the areas are interconnected. There were so many memorable set piece moments to The Last Guardian, and they perfectly combine player interactivity throughout whilst maintaining urgency and scale.

The tragedy of The Last Guardian is that it's a flawed gem. The primary downfall of the game outside of the camera is its issues with getting across how to interact with Trico. The response from players and reviewers over the years indicates more instruction was definitely needed. An unsubtle tutorial from the narrator would have helped, eg. 'just call Trico once, he'll respond, no need to repeat!' That being said, I saw players having issues with Trico that I never did. The button hints were also intrusive, and not utilized as effectively as they could have been. It's frustrating, because Trico is extremely responsive, and these problems didn't need to happen. It's incredibly rewarding when you develop a back and forth with Trico organically, but some handholding would be better than the player never really connecting with Trico at all.

The story of The Last Guardian is a simple one, but beautifully told from beginning to end, with the ending itself still being one of my favorites of any game. As much as I desperately want to revisit the world of The Nest, and journey once again Trico, I know I'm still not ready. Until that day comes, I'll hold my memories close.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] NieR
[x] Night in the Woods
[x] Persona 5
[x] SOMA
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Undertale
[x] What Remains of Edith Finch
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Getting in just under the deadline! These are much more fun to read with rankings, so here's mine - individual placements might vary slightly on a different day, but it's broadly right - even if there are so many more that I could name! I've tried for the most part to limit myself to one game per franchise... but Mario and Zelda are special cases. ;)

Games-of-the-decade.png

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Zelda has pretty always been my absolute favourite series so BotW starts with an advantage, but this reimagining of the classic formula brings a refreshing change of approach, and an open world that demands exploration, with something new to discover whichever direction you turn.

2. Super Mario Odyssey - sandbox-style 3D has been my favourite style of Mario games ever since Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Odyssey is the closest that we've yet come to perfection in the genre. Once again, with tight control, allowing a diverse range of fluid movements, Odyssey's worlds are a joy to explore.

3. Hollow Knight - It's taken a long time for anything to touch Super Metroid's domination of the 'Metroidvania' genre, but Hollow Knight finally gets there. With a fascinating backstory revealing itself as you explore its intricate world, Hollow Knight also has supremely tight and satisfying combat.

4. CrossCode - 2020's likely Game of the Year got its original PC release in 2019, so it qualifies here - though sadly seems to be becming more of a hidden gem than getting the attention that it deserves. Presented as an overhead-perspective action-RPG, combat is satisfying, fast and fluid - and impressively deep with the possible range of abilities - and its puzzle design has even Zelda trumped, which is saying a lot coming from me. Its story is really interesting and I loved the cast of characters. If you haven't yet, play the demo - no download required!

5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Peerless storytelling and quests leave Geralt's quest still unmatched among RPGS... at least until November!

6. Dishonored 2 - Arkane don't know how to make a bad game, but Dishonored 2 demonstrates their superb level design to full effect, catering perfectly to any type of playstyle. Completing a successful stealth run is immensely satisfying!

7. Outer Wilds - A stunning exploration game, with a superbly crafted mystery threaded throughout the solar system that allows a completely free-form approach - but to say much more would risk getting into spoilers. While the controls take a little getting used to, it's absolutely worth pushing through that initial friction. Special mention also must go to the incredibly poignant and well-used soundtrack.

8. Horizon Zero Dawn - A large and beautiful open-world, a compelling story and protagonist, and responsive, satisfying combat - plus once again, a great soundtrack behind it all.

9. XCOM 2 - I was overjoyed to see Firaxis returning to the strategy/tactics series that I loved many years ago, especially with such a successful reworking of the format - and this sequel refines that mechanic further still. The dual gameplay types, combining high-level strategy with detailed small-scale tactical encounters, make every decision feel meaningful, all the more so with the sense of attachment that's quickly brought about with key members of your squad.

10. Deus Ex Mankind Divided - While the story perhaps isn't as strong as it might be, the compelling sandbox level design shines through in this latest incarnation of a classic series. I live in hope of a next-gen sequel!

11. Control
  12. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  13. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  14. Civilization V
  15. The Last of Us

16. Batman: Arkham City
  17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  18. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  19. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  20. Titanfall 2

[x] Assassin's Creed Odyssey
[x] Civilization V
[x] Control
[x] CrossCode
[x] Dishonored 2
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] XCOM 2

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
10. Minecraft

9. Pokémon Black and White 2

8. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

7. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

6. Portal 2

5. Forza Horizon

4. Hitman

3. Mass Effect 2

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

1. Dark Souls

Honourable mentions: Forza Horizon 4, Civilization V, Journey, Battletech, Control, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Dishonored 2, Hitman 2

[x] Battletech
[x] Civilization V
[x] Control
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Forza Horizon
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] Hitman
[x] Hitman 2
[x] Journey
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
[x] Minecraft
[x] Pokemon Black and White 2
[x] Portal 2

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Persona 5. My Game of the generation. In a decade that has largely seen the decline of the genre Persona 5 gave everything I wanted.
  2. BOTW. I'm normally not a fan of open world or Zelda games, but BOTW managed to hook me in regardless. Easily the best open world game i've ever played.
  3. Resident Evil 2: Remake. My favorite horror game of the generation. The RPD is the best designed level of the gen easy.
  4. Xenoblade. An incredible modernization of jrpgs. Updates a lot of outdated mechanics from jrpgs, and expands on the things we love about the genre.
  5. Spider-Man. This game completely nailed the feel of being able to play as my favorite superhero.
  6. Doom 2016. My favorite FPS of the gen. managed to get rid of all the crust that modern fps have been bogged down by and created a super fun fasted paced game.
  7. Dragon Quest XI. This game feels like a modern version of classic JRPGS and it works so well. Wish more AAA jrpgs followed this game's template.
  8. DMCV. A near flawless revival of one of my favorite franchises.
  9. Virtue's Last Reward. My Favorite VN of all time. Contains one of the best plots in video game history.
  10. Inside. My favorite indie game of the generation.
  11. TLOU. Probably the best 7th gen game (that's allowed on this list). An incredible experience by ND.
  12. Resident Evil 7. An amazing soft reboot to one of my favorite franchises of all time.
  13. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. The greatest Pokémon game of all time.
  14. The Walking Dead: Season One. Not a fan of tale tell games but this game has an amazing plot and I loved having a black protagonist.
  15. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Hate to admit it but I had a lot of fun with this game, despite not being a fan of AC or Ubisoft. Had an incredible world and my favorite Protag of the gen, Kassandra.

[x] Assassin's Creed Odyssey
[x] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
[x] Devil May Cry V
[x] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
[x] DOOM
[x] Dragon Quest XI
[x] Fire Emblem: Awakening
[x] Inside
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Overwatch
[x] Persona 5
[x] Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
[x] Shin Megami Tensei IV
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Walking Dead: Season One
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
[x] Raging Loop

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Ok this was incredibly difficult, getting my votes in before the deadline and will edit in explanations later.

As someone who only got back into gaming in 2018 (bought a Switch and a PS4 at the end of the year), these kinds of lists are always immensely helpful in letting me know what I've missed out on, and I'm eagerly waiting for the results of this one.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. The Last of Us
4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. God of War
7. Xenoblade Chronicles
8. Hollow Knight
9. Ori and the Blind Forest
10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
11. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
12. Until Dawn
13. Marvel's Spider-Man
14. Resident Evil 2
15. Celeste
16. Doom
17. Titanfall 2
18. Dishonored
19. Octopath Traveler
20. Life is Strange

[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] God of War
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
[x] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Resident Evil 2
[x] Celeste
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Doom
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Dishonored
[x] Octopath Traveler
[x] Life is Strange

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
New ballot as I forgot about Dragon's Dogma

[x] Diablo 3
[x] Nioh
[x] Final Fantasy XIV
[x] Monster Hunter: World
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Journey
[x] Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
[x] Warframe

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Cuphead
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Dark Souls III
[x] Dishonered
[x] Dishonered 2
[x] Dishonered: Death of the Outsider
[x] DOOM
[x] God of War
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Resident Evil 2
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
[x] The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
[x] Hitman 2
[x] Crusader Kings II
[x] Fez
[x] Bloodborne
[x] XCOM 2
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Undertale
[x] Gorogoa
[x] The Witness
[x] FTL: Faster Than Light
[x] Astro Bot Rescue Mission
[x] God of War
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] DJMAX Respect
[x] 80 Days
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2

Shoutout Bayonetta 2, Divinity: OS 2, Titanfall 2, OlliOlli 2, Forza Horizon 3/4, Civ V, Anno 1800, Hearthstone, No Man's Sky, Virtue's Last Reward, Nidhogg, Edith FInch, Disco Elysium and the Souls games. And to all the devs that helped make the decade great

Last edited:

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Possibly my favorite game of all time. Absolutely loved the story, characters, and world. Some of the best writing I've seen in a game.
  • Bloodborne - Another contender for my favorite game ever, and the game that got me into From Software. The combat, level design, and atmosphere are sublime.
  • Persona 5 - Probably my favorite JRPG ever. Really enjoyed the balance of dungeon-crawling and social life, and the game oozes style.
  • God of War - I had played the 3 previous games and enjoyed them, but was never a huge fan. The re-imagining was better than I could have possibly hoped for, turning Kratos into a likeable character and completely nailing a different style of combat.
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Also up there for my top JRPGs ever. A wonderfully charming game with endearing characters, a fun world to explore, and challenging combat with the Draconian modifiers.
  • Path of Exile - Reignited my love for the ARPG genre. The depth of character-building and the constant stream of quality content are amazing. Can't wait for the sequel.
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - Possibly the best Final Fantasy story there is. The first MMO I've played in about 15 years, and it didn't disappoint. My most-played game of the decade.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles - Great story, and my favorite approach to world design with a series of varied zones with lots of interesting things to discover.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Didn't quite reach the highs of the original for me due to the gacha system and a few other things, but still had a great time with this; the combat system was quite fun.
  • Dark Souls - Amazing interconnected world design. Some of my favorite boss fights ever in Manus, Artorias, and O&S.
  • Dark Souls 3 - A high-quality game from start to finish. The DLC was fantastic, with great bosses like Friede, Gael, and Midir.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - A great and refreshing experience from From. The stealth was fun, and timing parries perfectly never got old for me. The final boss is one of the best I've ever fought.
  • Mass Effect 2 - My favorite BioWare game. Really enjoyed the character-focused story with the culmination of the amazing Suicide Mission. The Vanguard class is also very fun to play.
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - Despite some issues, I had a lot of fun with this. The dragon fights were great, and the Trespasser DLC was the definite highlight.
  • The Last of Us - My favorite Naughty Dog game. Watching the relationship between Joel and Ellie grow over the course of the game was touching.
  • Nioh - A Souls-like that really stands out due to its deep combat system. The stance and ki mechanics are very rewarding to master.
  • Dishonored 2 - A great follow-up to the original; the level design and the powers are great. One of the later missions really stands out due to its usage of a unique mechanic.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Some of the best turn-based combat ever. Planning fights around combining your skills and manipulating the environment is very satisfying.
  • The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - I found the branching story here very interesting, which adds some nice replayability in seeing how things turn out differently depending on your choices.
  • Borderlands 2 - Had a lot of fun playing this with some friends. Tiny Tina's Dragon Keep DLC was fantastic and the highlight of the game.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Borderlands 2
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] Dishonored 2
[x] Dragon Age: Inquisition
[x] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Nioh
[x] Path of Exile
[x] Persona 5
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Bayonetta
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
[x] Overwatch
[x] Pikmin 3
[x] Pokemon Black and White
[x] Rayman Legends
[x] Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Spelunky
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Maker 2
[x] The Wonderful 101
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Going through that list on mobile took so much work that I've accidentally overdone it, whoops
Oh well, all games I'm happy voting for despite the stupidly high number

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
Man, i hate doing this, but whatever. I need to help Rain World. lol I will only vote for games already voted, no super hidden gems on Steam.

[x] Alien: Isolation
[x] Baba is You
[x] Bayonetta
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Celeste
[x] Cuphead
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Rain World
[x] Rocket League
[x] Sekiro
[x] Spacechem
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Outer Wilds
[x] The Return of the Obra Dinn
[x] The Talos Principle
[x] The Witness

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Blue Reflection - My favorite game, the prettiest with a lovely story and amazing OST.
Nights of Azure 2 - It has my favorite character and is a pretty cool action game.
Atelier Meruru - The best Atelier game, it's so big with so much to do.
Atelier Ayesha - The next best Atelier game. Super good story characters and OST.

[x] Blue Reflection
[x] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
[x] Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
[x] Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

RoeBear

Oct 27, 2017
[x] - Bloodborne - Such a treat to play. Better get fucking good!
[x] Crypt of the Necrodancer
[x] Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
[x] Gunvolt Chronicles Luminous Avenger Ix
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Rainbow Six Siege
[x] Blazblue Centralfiction
[x] Puyo Puyo Tetris
[x] Darkest Dungeon
[x] Nex Machina
[x] Enter The Gungeon
[x] Duel Links
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
[x] Titanfall 2

D'@rtagnan

Jul 12, 2020
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Ring Fit Adventure
[x] Super Mario Odyssey

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
1. Outer Wilds
Outer Wilds is a phenomenal game. It makes you explore a star system that is finely crafted like a clock. It predictably goes through its loop and thus gives you the possibility to explore and experience everything it has to offer. And everything it is has is beautifully detailed and expertly put together. It is the perfect puzzle box and puzzle game like it could only be achieved in video games. Your puzzles have mechanical elements, time elements and story/lore elements. And all those parts are wonderful in themselves (especially the lore), but they are also beautifully woven together into the perfect storm in videogaming and the best game of the last decade. The only game more 'perfect' is Tetris. This game is art like the most beautiful craftsmanship.

2. The Elder Scrolls Skyrim
A grand fantastical world of adventure. The freedom to play in this world, the amount of quests, NPCs and just stuff to find make the Elder Scrolls one of the best gaming series. And Skyrim is the best of its kind released in the last decade.

3. The Stanley Parable
This game is s piece of art. It is neither very pretty, nor the finest craftsmanship, but with great reflections on the nature of video games. It is a game about freedom and choice in videogames. The games witty narrator tells your story and leads you down corridors emphasizing the premise of a character finding themselves part of a simulation/game and their world and free will a lie. But the games does not force you to take the actions that the narrator (fore)told. You get the choice to go 'against' the story in many branching and different ways. But in the end all are in vain and all are still narrated. And all your escapes of the corridors and the story of the game are just other paths of the same story showing the limits of choice and freedom to virtual characters and video games. There are other games that are 'saying' something. And they often tackle more important topics. But I haven't played those, as they are often more depressing and often deliberately not fun. As I find games have to be fun too, this is my choice of narratively arty game.

4. Star Wars: The Old Republic
The best MMORPG out there. It brings great and fully voiced story content and one of the best 'settings' to MMOs. Making the game greatly accessible and not forcing try-hard multiplayer on you through-out its story and levelling content, but leaving the option for those who want it, was also a great decision. Starting with eight unique class stories that range from good to great and adding varying degrees of good faction stories and story themed multiplayer content really rounds up the package. Not all post release content was great and was delivered quite slowly, but the Revan and Eternal Empire storylines were really enjoyable.

5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Awesome story with memorable and lovable characters and gameplay that really used the strengths of its original platform (Nintendo DS) to create an inspired and wonderful puzzle game.

6. Terraria
It is Minecraft, but more fun for someone who likes regular gaming loops and progression more than playing in a literal sandbox. And it is in 2D. It has more to craft, more to fight and more to find. Much better than Minecraft.

7. Splatoon 2
Splatoon was the best new IP from Nintendo in a long time. A fun multiplayer shooter were killing enemies is not the main goal made a great non-toxic online multiplayer experience. The Inklings and Octolings are a wonderful character designs. Even though Splatoon broke the ground, Splatoon 2 improved on all parts (except Miiverse) and made the game accessible to more people by being released on a more successful console. The DLC gave us the octolings and a great single player mode. So I vote Splatoon 2 over the first one.

8. Sam & Max: The Devils Playground
Great finale to a wonderful Point and Click Adventure series and the pinnacle of Telltale Games output. I wish they would have come back to this series and style instead of making all like their The Walking Dead game. I also really liked the episodic nature of the game.

9. Super Mario Maker
Making Mario Levels was never as easy and fun. SMM2 brought a lot of new stuff and might be objectively better from a software point, but here I'll vote for the original. The ride was more fun. The multitude of free (advertisement) skins and their special levels were great. And creating levels with the Wii U gamepad is soooooooooo much better than SMM2 that it outweighs everything.

10. Portal 2
One of the most fun environmental puzzle games with a very memorable villain. Taking everything that made Portal great and improving on it with more systems, a longer campaign, a special Coop campaign, fleshing out the lore of the world and giving the story some new twists and turns makes a game that has to be in the top ten best games of the decade.

11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Great game with a great open world with very minimal objective markers and more finding places through descriptions, riddles and just stumbling across them. You can also ignore almost everything to beat the game. Bold choice. I like it. Even though I would never fully ignore everything or even most of the game.

12. Dragon Quest Builders 2
Just so fucking wholesome. And with many QoL improvements the Minecraft should finally copy.

13. Batman Arkham City
It makes you feel like Batman just like Arkham Asylum but with a bit more freedom.

14. Return of the Obra Dinn
Detective gameplay done right. Going through the dioramas and listening to the scenes on the ships was such a perfect choice. Such a unique game. I love it.

15. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Best platformer released in a long time. Even better than Returns and a more than deserving sequel in the DKC franchise. Great levels with great variety and some of the best music ever. And Dixie Kong. The best of the Kongs.

16. Spec Ops: The Line
Do you feel like a hero yet? Military shooter that is regularly fun and goes against American military propaganda.

17. Axiom Verge
A kick off to the Metroidvania revival of the last decade. Also really good game of the genre.

[x] Axiom Verge
[x] Baba is You
[x] Control
[x] Dragon Quest Builders 2
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Portal 2
[x] Return of the Obra Dinn
[x] Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
[x] Splatoon
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Maker
[x] Terraria
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] Star Wars: The Old Republic

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2 is my overall game of the decade. Which is fitting since Portal was my game of the aughts:) The combination of puzzles and narrative is what I enjoy most in gaming.

[x] Diablo 3
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Invisible Inc.
[x] Journey
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Portal 2
[x] Return of the Obra Dinn
[x] Sayonara Wild Hearts
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] The Talos Principle
[x] The Witness
[x] Wandersong
[x] Device 6

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Only 1 hour left so there's no time:

Devil May Cry 5 and Monster Hunter World Iceborne are great, Capcom is back.
Persona 5 Royal, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 3 Portable got me hooked on Atlus.
Judgment is amazingly underrated and the theme song is kickass.
Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers is an incredible experience that only the brave would ever get.
Valkyria Chronicles 4 was great and it deserved better than it's fans.
Nioh is the best kind of Soulslike game, I guess Bloodborne is cool too, Salt and Sanctuary is pretty good too.
Darkest Dungeon was an amazing experience so where the hell is the sequel?
Helldivers is the MOST underrated Playstation co-op game and deserves a sequel, I will shill it.
I'm still waiting to save Alan Wake in Control.
Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish were the games that put Platinum on the map for me.
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth should have be a comeback.
Death Stranding was a big surprise for how much fun a non-traditional action-adventure game can be.
Resident Evil Revelations 2 was pretty underrated.
Dragon's Dogman deserves a second chance.
Titanfall 2 was pretty cool I guess.

[x] Devil May Cry 5
[x] Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
[x] Nioh
[x] Judgment
[x] Persona 5
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Valkyria Chronicles 4
[x] Darkest Dungeon
[x] Helldivers
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Toukiden
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Persona 3 Portable
[x] Alan Wake
[x] Vanquish
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
[x] Dragon's Dogma
[x] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
[x] Splinter Cell: Conviction
[x] Valkyria Chronicles II
[x] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
[x] For Honor
[x] Salt and Sanctuary
[x] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
[x] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Control

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
[x] Final Fantasy VII Remake
[x] Guild Wars 2
[x] Overwatch
[x] Skyrim

Mr. Patch

Nov 9, 2017
I'd say that this list is in order (at least the top 10 is). I had to think hard and stop myself from going overboard. I got a few I wanna comment on:

4. Sonic Mania - After the Sonic 4 debacle, this is a true labor of love to the franchise's roots. The Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush games are all solid to great in their own right, but the classic Sonic formula, the physics and level design, just hits different.

10. Vanquish - This one shot up my list after I replayed it on PS4. It's like a character action game decided to be a cover shooter, it's so fast and fluid. Boosting and sliding turns into slow motion acrobatics as you blow your enemies away.

14. SSX (2012) - I don't think this game got a fair shake after its initial reveal. It's not as zany as SSX Tricky but it very much is the type of thing you want out of a SSX game. So many places to get big air and do insane tricks. The tracks are very open, so it's fun to replay them to find better racing lines or spots for tricks. I also think that the deadly descent levels were a nice way to change up the gameplay a bit and provide some challenge.

17. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - The dashes really helped me appreciate the open world aspect of the game. When you have freerunning gameplay, it's nice to allow the player to have the freedom to tackle obstacles or reach objectives in the way they see fit. You can experiment and find new paths, and really push your skills to find your flow and maintain it.

[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Transistor
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Gravity Rush Remastered
[x] Furi
[x] No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
[x] Vanquish
[x] Celeste
[x] Rocket League
[x] Sonic Generations
[x] SSX
[x] Overwatch
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Mirror's Edge Catalyst
[x] OlliOlli2
[x] Astral Chain

Last edited:

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
[x] Ace Combat 7
[x] Alien: Isolation
[x] Crypt of the Necrodancer
[x] FTL: Faster then Light
[x] Fez
[x] God of War
[x] Hitman 2
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Into the Breach
[x] Minecraft
[x] No Man's Sky
[x] Persona 4: Golden
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Spelunky
[x] Spider-Man
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] The Last of Us
[x] TxK
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Oct 27, 2017
[x] 3D Dot Game Heroes
[x] Batman: Arkham Origins
[x] Dark Souls
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Mass Effect 3
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Tales of Vesperia Definite Edition
[x] Yoshi's Woolly World
[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (if I had to pick one game it would be this one)

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Really tough to get this down to 25, much less 20.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Gravity Rush
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Portal 2
[x] Skate 3
[x] Steins;Gate
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] SUPERHOT VR
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Witness

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resubmit of 346, forgot to include DE:HR.

Skyrim
I don't think Skyrim's contribution to the medium can be overstated. It's a shame that it's now overlooked, even by those that have invested hundreds of hours in the game.

Hollow Knight
The finest metroidvania ever made.

Mass Effect 2
I preferred ME, but it didn't release this decade, and while I find the gameplay in ME3 superior, controversy holds it back.

[x] Dying Light
[x] Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Guacamelee!
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Portal 2
[x] The Division

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
[x] Bloodborne
[x] DOOM
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Mass Effect 3
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] The Last of Us
[x] What Remains of Edith Finch

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was MUCH harder than I expected to get this down to 20 votes. There are some games that probably should be on here, but I decided not to overly favor some too much (though there are a few exceptions, because some games are just that good). Anyway, here we go:

• Bayonetta- Probably my favorite stylish action game out there, it's pure over the top fun with an unforgettable finale.
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze- Quite possibly the best 2D platfomer since Super Mario Bros. 3, it's pure genious in its design, movement, and holy crap that soundtrack.
  • Celeste- The game manages to marry it's mechanics and story more effectively than any other game I've played. You feel the struggle, the triumph, and the awe of Celeste as you play it, and it's one of the most rewarding games I've played. The story is also wonderful.
  • Civilization V- Still probably my favorite Civilization, the move to hex maps and eleminating unit stacks really shook up the classic formula into something more strategic. Each expansion improved upon the base game to create a really compelling package.
  • DOOM- Violent, Brutal, and FUN AS HELL. DOOM is a game that embraces being a game and giving the players exactly what they want; flowing, cathartic action that makes you feel like a beast.
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S- After years of trying and failing to get into Final Fantasy, I was hesitant to play this, but I'm very glad I did. The game is just pure charm from start to finish, and it presents a wonderful world that is just a joy to be in, with an approachably simple yet not dumbed down combat system, and great party members. A great place to start if you're looking to get into classic turn based JRPGs.
  • Fallout: New Vegas- A game that actually delivers on the promises of player freedom, New Vegas is perhaps the most open ended game out there that can still have a cohesive narrative. Every playthrough can be what you want, the factions you can ally with are all compelling in their own way (though you get the side-eye from me if you favor Ceaser), and the Fallout humor and Cool Cat feel of Vegas make this game so much fun to play.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses- The best Fire Emblem, with the best cast of characters, and the best story. Exploring the monetary allows you to connect with the games characters on a deeper level that ever possible before, and just helps the stakes of the game feel that much higher when conflict inevitably arises. It's focus on relative morality creates a game that steps away from classic good vs evil plot lines, and makes it's characters a bit more human.
  • Hyrule Warriors- It's pure Zelda fan service with addictive game play. What can I say? That appeals to me and I love this game.
  • Mass Effect 2- This game is the apex of the series for me. It loses some of the shining optimism of the first game for a grittier nior feel as you find yourself siding with a rogue human supremecist organization in order to save the galaxy from a much larger threat. I love this game's focus on the party members, giving you more insight into your crew and making the game feel like an elaborate selection of short stories at times. The combat is also a welcome refinement, and all of your choices culminate in a truly epic suicide mission that makes you feel the weight of your decisions.
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate- My favorite Monster Hunter so far, and the one that got me into the series. I loved the introduction of verticality into battles, and the variety of monsters just keeps me wanting to return to this version.
  • NieR: Automata- Another stylish, over the top master work from Platinum, this game contrasts its melancholic story with moments of bright brilliance in the world design. The soundtrack is a massive highlight as well, and combat is customizable to a surprising degree that helps the game stay fresh through repeated playthroughs.
  • Octopath Traveler- A game that really shows what you can do with turn based combat, taking something typically simple and straightforward and turning it into a strategic system of risk and reward. Octopath also experiments with the JRPG formula in having 8 equally important protagonists instead of 1, all on personal quests of varying but relatively low stakes. It's a refreshing break that makes the stories feel more intimate than your typical fare (though a grand finale is hidden away if you chose to connect the dots). Also the game is musically brilliant.
  • Splatoon 2- Funky, Fresh, and has one of the best DLC campaigns Nintendo has eve made.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2- It's just simply the best 3D Mario in my opinion. Inspired level design, wonderful controls, tons of post game content, great challenge levels, amazing soundtrack... the game has everything I'm looking for in 3D Mario.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate- The best Smash Bros. we've ever gotten, and the best we are likely to ever get. I can only imagine how many dreams this game made come true, and its hard to argue against it being one of the most ambitious games ever created. Hats off to Sakurai.
  • Tetris 99- Tetris? Good. Battle Royale? Good. Tetris 99? GOOOD! Easy to pick up, hard to master, and endlessly addictive.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- What is there left to say about this game? It's THE definitive game of the 2010s, and one of the greatest ever made.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Eternally underrated and overhated, Skyward Sword is Zelda at it's most ambitious in terms of story and characters. It feels like a cross between a Disney story and a mythological epic, and has probably the best dungeon design in the series to date.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2- My favorite JRPG since Mother 3. This game builds on the foundation of its already excellent predecessor, and delivers an even more fleshed out and compelling cast of characters, a more satisfying battle system, and a truly grand story that manages to be reflectively philosophical, emotionally charge, at times filled with humor, all while keeping momentum towards a truly unforgettable finale. Couple that with one of the best soundtracks in all of video games, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a truly unforgettably experience that has stuck with me even 3 years later.

[x] Bayonetta
[x] Celeste
[x] Civilization V
[x] DOOM
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S
[x] Hyrule Warriors
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
[x] Octopath Traveler
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Tetris 99
[x] The Legends of Zelda: Skyward Sword
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
edit: screwed up again, Skyrim was doubled in my last poll b/c of course it was.

[x] Dying Light
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Guacamelee!
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Portal 2
[x] The Division

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Breath of the Wild is the best video game I have ever played. At age 24 BOTW made me feel like a kid again. It wasn't since Oblivion that a world captured my imagine in such a way, and I never thought I could feel that way about a video game in my 20's and beyond. BOTW was a world I lived in. I wanted to explore Hyrule whenever I could. The mechanics were perfect. Controlling Link and just walking around felt so good! BOTW is easily my favorite game of all time.
2. Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Odyssey is a game where the development team got together and said "ok what Ideas do you have for a fun video game" and no one said "no" to anything. Mario Odyssey keeps bringing new ideas up until its final moments. This game is a happiness simulator.
3. Monster Hunter World
I always knew I'd be into Monster Hunter, but I never played any of the previous games. With World being on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 it was a game that not only I could play but also one which my friends were excited for. I can say a lot of about my time in MHW, but there's just too much to say so I'll leave it at this: I have over 500 hours in MHW and I'm still playing today. In it's first weekend alone I played 30 hours. The last time I had a gaming marthon like that was probably back when Halo 3 came out.
4. Overwatch
This generation was a golden age for multiplayer games. I found myself constantly saying "this might be the best multiplayer game I have ever played." But once Overwatch came out it was clear that THIS would be the clear winner. I have well over a thousand hours in Overwatch. It's the perfect balance of depth and accessibility. Overwatch is easy to learn and hard to master. There is nothing better than a good evenly matched game of Overwatch.
5. Apex Legends
The close second to Overwatch (ask me on the right day and I might say I like it MORE than Overwatch) is Apex Legends. Apex is my favorite battle royale game and really second place isn't even close. Really Apex has ruined other battle royales. Whenever a new one comes out I play a round and find myself asking "why would I play this over Apex?" and go back to apex. It's fast paced and in your face. The shooting is tight, the characters are lovable, and the game is just a blast to play.
6. Persona 5
Persona is another series that I knew I would love from afar, but I never got around to playing until 5. I played through all of Persona 5 last year (2019). I started in early June and finished the game just a few days into 2020. Persona 5 was a part of my life for about 7 months of on and off playing, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely loved Persona 5. I loved the world, I loved the characters, I loved the music, and I loved its style and personality. I'm not some JRPG fanatic and I'm not a big fan of Anime outside of like Dragon Ball, but I fucking LOVED persona 5. After a playthrough which lasted just under 120 hours I didn't want the game to stop. I wanted it to keep going. I look forward to revisiting it sometime in the Royal edition.
7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Probably the first game this decade that I highly anticipated, and it didn't disappoint. Playing this game in college was an absolute joy. I loved meeting up with my friends at dinner to talk about our adventures. We all had vastly different stories to tell almost to the point where it sounded like we were all playing different games. That's the magic Bethesda brings to the table when they're at their best.
8. Civilization V
Civilization V is the game which got me into strategy games. I love the genre now and I owe that to Civ. I have hundreds of hours in Civ V, and while I've moved on to IV I still will always hold V in a special place. I don't have much else to say. It's just a fucking great game. If you've played Civ you know that already.
9. Marvel's Spider-Man
Spider-Man is one of my favorite characters in any media ever. I love Spider-Man. Spider-Man 2 on the gamecube was one of my favorite games growing up, and Marvel's Spider-Man is basically the spiritual successor to that game. Make no mistake, Marvel's Spider-Man is a pretty bog standard open world game. There's a big city with lots of markers and collectibles all over the place. While in other games that would be boring, Marvel's Spider-Man has a pretty significant trick up its sleeve..... YOU'RE FUCKING SPIDER-MAN. Turns out getting repetitive collectibles is fun when you're swinging around the city. I love this game and still boot it up regularly just to swing around.
10. Ori and the Blind Forest
Don't let it's 10th spot on my list fool you. Ori could easily be my number 1 (i just accidentally skipped over it when I was entering my votes, oops! Luckily they're all weighted the same). Ori and the Blind Forest is a masterpiece in platforming and level design. I'll leave my praise at that because there is no way I can conjure up the words to do this game justice. It is a must play and it doesn't get the love it deserves around here because it's not a big AAA game. But make no mistake about it, Ori and the Blind Forest is every bit as good as any AAA game that has released over the last 10 years. I'd say it's even better.

[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Overwatch
[x] Apex Legends
[x] Persona 5
[x] Civilization V
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man

Dec 4, 2017
London
Somehow I've left this to the very last minute so I've had to rush.

Bloodborne - Remains the only Souls game I've played so far. In all honesty I probably wouldn't have played it if it hadn't come at a time the PS4 was crying out for a good game or two and I'm not sure I was prepared for the commitment it entailed. But boy, did it repay that commitment with one of the most enthralling and intricate worlds I can think of in gaming. After god knows how many hours put into it I finished with my mind ever-so-slightly blown, an overwhelming sense of achievement and satisfaction, and no urge to play another Souls game for a, ohh, probably several years (Hello Demon Souls)

Dishonored 2 -
Just brilliant level design.

Dead Cells - I'm late to it but this but this game is like crack. And by that I mean it's not just addictive, it leaves me grinding the controller in my hands with a rictus-like grin.

God of War - As close to a perfect package as I can think of. Simple story told with exceptional execution, top tier world design that often made me experience a sense of wonder that reminded me of childhood.

Resogun - Great OST and arcade perfection

Last of Us - Since I can't vote for pt2 this will have to do. This is the game that stopped me automatically skipping cut-scenes in games. 7 years later and I'm still playing the multiplayer.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dead Cells
[x] Dead Space 2
[x] Dishonered 2
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Inside
[x] P.T.
[x] RESOGUN
[x] The Last of Us

Last edited:

Odoru

Oct 25, 2017
Just giving thoughts on my top 4, but all were amazing games!

1. Final Fantasy XIV - I gave the nod to Shadowbringers since thats easily its best expansion; but its hard for me not to give the nod to a game that has had a direct effect on my life since 2013. All of the friends, marriage, a child all tied in some shape or form to a MMO that was "reborn" from the corpse of an earlier iteration.
2. Mass Effect 2 - As much as I played and loved the original game, I feel like this is the best form of Mass Effect. Was an absolute blast from start to finish.
3. Spelunky - My favorite rogue-lite of the decade, I wanted to give it a nod here as its only fitting it took until 2020 before it was eclipsed for me with Hades.
4. Hollow Knight - One of my favorite metroidvanias ever, in a decade that saw lots of games added to the field.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Spelunky
[x] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The Third
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Last edited: