• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soyperson

May 8, 2019
appalachia
I believe that makes an even 20. If I had to pick just one, though, it would unequivocally be Breath of the Wild.

[x] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[x] Celeste
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S
[x] Fallout: New Vegas
[x] Fire Emblem: Awakening
[x] Fire Emblem: Three Houses
[x] Firewatch
[x] Gris
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Kentucky Route Zero
[x] Kid Icarus: Uprising
[x] Minecraft
[x] NieR: Automata
[x] Night in the Woods
[x] Okami
[x] Pokemon Black and White
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[x] Undertale

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Persona 5: I'm a big fan of turn-based RPGs, and this game is no different.
Cuphead: Favorite art direction in any game and a great throwback to the Golden Age of animation.
Super Mario 3D World: Excellent 3D platformer.
Yakuza 0: Amazing experience in urban 1980s Japan, and possibly the best Yakuza game.

Is there a way a mod can merge my two posts?

Last edited:

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
[x] Assassin's Creed Odyssey
[x] Assassin's Creed: Revelations
[x] Bravely Default
[x] Devil May Cry V
[x] Dragon Ball FighterZ
[x] Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
[x] Final Fantasy VII Remake
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Metroid: Samus Returns
[x] Octopath Traveler
[x] Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
[x] Rayman Legends
[x] Rayman Origins
[x] Sonic Mania
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Ako

Sep 3, 2020
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
[x] Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
[x] Portal 2
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Starcraft 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Tetris 99
[x] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2
[x] Zelda: Beath of the Wild

FabienJ

Oct 27, 2017
I really think Nintendo has been on fire this decade. But BOTW really is the best game of the decade (and maybe ever) IMO

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I know the votes aren't weighted for this, but this is still mostly my order. Great decade, a few games were unlucky to not make the 20.

[x] Red Dead Redemption 2
[x] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] God of War
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Return of the Obra Dinn
[x] Alien: Isolation
[x] Prey
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Dead Space 2
[x] SOMA
[x] Dishonored 2
[x] Life is Strange
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Control
[x] Resident Evil 7

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Weird, my top ten of all time is far easier to choose than just the past decade.

[x] Dark Souls
[x] Darksiders
[x] DiRT Rally
[x] Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[x] Fight 'n Rage
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] Grim Dawn
[x] Killing Floor 2
[x] Minecraft
[x] VVVVVV
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles X

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Rocket League
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Witness

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
[x] What Remains of Edith Finch
[x] Undertale
[x] Civilization VI
[x] Tomb Raider (2013)
[x] SOMA
[x] Portal 2
[x] Kid Ikarus Uprising
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Night in the Woods
[x] Splatoon

qshoe1989

Dec 11, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Hollow Knight
3. Outer Wilds
4. Spelunky
5. The Witcher 3
6. Bloodborne
7. The Last of Us
8. God of War
9. Horizon Zero Dawn
10. Celeste
11. FTL: Faster Than Light
12. Portal 2
13. Horizon: Zero Dawn
14. NieR: Automata

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Celeste
[x] FTL: Faster Than Light
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Portal 2
[x] Spelunky
[x] The Last of Us

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Bloodbourne
[x] Dark Souls
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (INELIGIBLE, 2009)

Aldro

Jun 5, 2020
Sweden
TLOU, Uncharted and GoW takes this.

[x] God of War (2018)
[x] God of War 3
[x] Shadow of the Colossus
[x] Spiderman
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 3
[x] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
[x] Uncharted 4
[x] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
[x] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S
[x] Luigi's Mansion 3
[x] Mario Odyssey
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Titanfall 2

Goslopo

Sep 9, 2020
[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Control
[x] Diablo 3
[x] Final Fantasy XV
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Hypnospace Outlaw
[x] Kingdom Hearts 3
[x] Minecraft
[x] Night in the Woods
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Pokemon Go
[x] Steep
[x] Risk of Rain 2

Hyrule Field

Nov 28, 2019

[x] The last of us

[x] Super Mario Odyssey

[x] God of War

[x] Animal Crossing new horizons

[x] The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

[x] The Legend of Zelda A link between words

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
[x] Alan Wake
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Mortal Kombat
[x] Portal 2
[x] Resident Evil VII
[x] Rogue Legacy

paraxor

Aug 8, 2020
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Persona 5
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
[x] Ori and the Blind Forest

WIZRND

Oct 28, 2017
[x] A Short Hike
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Frog Fractions
[x] Hypnospace Outlaw
[x] Minecraft
[x] Pikmin 3
[x] Pokemon White 2
[x] Skyrim
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Subnautica
[x] Super Mario Maker 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
[x] Magic Wand
[x] West of Loathing

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Divinity: Original Sin 2
[x] Until Dawn
[x] Darkest Dungeon
[x] Dark Souls
[x] The Last Of Us
[x] Dead Rising 4
[x] Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne wins for aesthetics and purity of vision. Divinity wins on gameplay and excellence. Darkest Dungeon is fantastic in terms of design and mood. Until Dawn was a brilliant attempt at trying something new. Dead Rising 4 is sadly overlooked, but in terms of content and comedy, is unbeatable in my humble view.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
[x] Axiom Verge
[x] Dead Cells
[x] Diablo 3
[x] Enter the Gungeon
[x] Europa Universalis IV
[x] Fortnite
[x] FTL: Faster Than Light
[x] Halo: Reach
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Minecraft
[x] Overcooked
[x] Pillars of Eternity
[x] Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver
[x] Rayman Legends
[x] Rogue Legacy
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] SteamWorld Dig 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Super Meat Boy
[x] Terraria
[x] Tetris 99
[x] This War of Mine
[x] Thumper

jkmaxx

Feb 13, 2019
[x] A Hat in Time
[x] Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Celeste
[x] Half Life: Alyx
[x] Metroid: Samus Returns
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Pikmin 3
[x] Portal 2
[x] Resident Evil VII
[x] Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Super Smash Bros. Project M
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

AMAKAN93

May 5, 2018
[x] Animal Crossing: New Leaf
[x] Batman: Arkham City
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
[x] Fire Emblem: Awakening
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] inFamous 2
[x] LittleBigPlanet 2
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Persona 5
[x] Pokemon Black 2/White 2
[x] Pokemon Go
[x] Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver
[x] Ratchet & Clank (2016)
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Tetris 99
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
pU5ziKy.jpg

1. The Witness: This is a masterclass in game design, pure and simple. The game uses the unique language of the medium to teach you the rules to every puzzle. These are still the smartest 'tutorials' I've encountered and it's a disservice to label them as such. I love the variety in the riddles too, since every section on the Island you explore has its own theme and taps into a different skillset. The tool you use to solve the puzzles is the same all the way through (drawing lines), but the mechanics and skillsets required to get there change all the time. Every area has twists and curveballs to their unique concept as well, there's no area that gets predictable. The puzzles are so good that I never wanted to resort to using a guide, it's the one way you can ruin this game. It's a mind metroidvania, as some gates or areas are locked behind 'mental upgrades' as it were, as you understand what different symbols and concepts mean. Lighting all the lasers and finding secrets on the island doesn't get old. The sense of discovery, the satisfaction you get after finally solving a devious puzzle... I still haven't experienced that in another game since. As a bonus this game is also a confidence booster, because one of the essential messages of the game is that you already have every skill required to beat the puzzles, everything is already inside of you. But if you do get stuck, take some distance and go somewhere else on the island.

2. INSIDE: Playdead takes everything they've learned from Limbo, and make something more polished and refined with INSIDE. What impressed me is the smooth transition between 'chapters'. Each section flows seamlessly into the next to make it feel like a 'one shot' experience. The game is also best when played in a single session to enhance this effect. INSIDE also shows restraint: there are mechanics that other games would milk 20 puzzles out of, but Playdead just gives us a few, and then we move on. It shows how needlessly padded and stretched out other games are. There is nothing here that shouldn't be in, this game is like a statue the artist kept chipping away at until every curve and line came out the way he wanted.

3. The Last Guardian: Like most Team ICO fans I waited years for this, and somehow after I beat it all that time didn't matter anymore. I expected great things, but I even liked it more than ICO and SOTC. I loved Trico's behaviour and the bond you develop over the hours. I can see some of the complaints people have, but for me it was a near flawless experience, apart from the camera acting up sometimes. The hours of buildup lead to a finale that is just unforgettable and deeply moving. My favorite video game ending since The Last of Us.

4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: In the Souls games character builds give you multiple ways to play, but Sekiro strips away all that and only gives you one path, even though you can spice things up with the prosthetic tools (shuriken, firecrackers). This focus on one set of mechanics shows that the team is confident enough in their main combat loop. With good cause, because the swordplay is very satisfying once you get the hang of it. It's less about depleting an enemy's health (even though it helps) but more about filling up their posture bar. You do this by both deflecting attacks ánd attacking yourself. It's this clash of swords that leaves enemies open for a takedown. Sekiro is a game that rewards and even requires aggression, while also keeping your guard up when needed. Bloodborne was already a step in this direction, but this game is even more fast-paced. For these reasons not having played Souls games is actually an advantage because you won't be tempted to turtle and wait it out. As a certain mid game boss will teach you, Sekiro's combat is all about the relentless attack on your opponent, while also deflecting or dodging his moves. If you do both of this right, you'll strike them down quickly. There is a pretty specific way From wants you to play this game, but it never gets old.
Sekiro is also one of From's smaller games but that's a good thing, because there are no disappointing or undercooked areas like Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith. It's very consistent from start to finish in its design.This is From showing more restraint in their combat and level design and they made one of their best games because of it.

5. Dark Souls: Demon's got me into the Souls games, but Dark got me really hooked. I'm still impressed to this day by the level design in Lordran, I just replayed this game over and over across multiple builds and platforms. I actually feel like DkS 3 was a more consistent experience in terms of level design, but this game is just more iconic. It set the standard and was - deservedly - influential. Who didn't feel despair when they descended further into Blighttown, fearing you'd never see sunlight again? Or felt a sense of triumph after beating Ornstein and Smough? Later areas like Izalith and Demon Ruins are rushed, but what came before it is remarkable.

6. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze: I didn't expect Retro could improve what they did in Returns this much, but they did. This is the most impressive platformer since the original Mario Galaxy. Incredible and diverse level design, great art with tons of attention to detail and a godlike soundtrack by David Wise.

7. The Last of Us: Still Naughty Dog's finest moment I'd say. I haven't cared about videogame characters like I did for Joel and Ellie in this game. When you play on hard or higher the gameplay comes into its own as well, with more of the survival elements actually mattering. After playing the sequel I still think the original is more consistent, tighter and has overall better pacing.

8. Hollow Knight: This game is not only rich in content, but one of the best metroidvanias out there. The combat is simple but fun and the locations are varied and beautiful. Even though you can easily spend 25+ hours on the main quest alone, I never got tired of the game because of the level design and the rewarding feeling exploration gives you. The bosses are challenging, but the overall difficulty is just right. Anyone who loves metroidvanias for the sense of discovery and wonder they give, should really play this.

9. Undertale: I love games that subvert expectations, and Undertale does that constantly. It breaks the fourth wall all the time, with eccentric and quirky characters. At the same time though, it also has a very strong emotional core. Even though there's a strong comedy element to this game, it still has a lot of heart and manages to sell both sides of the coin perfectly. There are times when you'll love the game for mocking rpg staples, then other times you will get gut-punched by strong story moments. It reminded me of golden age Simpsons in this way, where the barrage of jokes could be mixed up with a sweet 'syrup' moment, but still work. The characters are very unique and interesting, and they all behave differently depending on the path you take.
Gameplay-wise, Undertale is also refreshing: it feels like you've been through an epic 60+ hour rpg, when it only took you 7 hours. The game achieves a lot in very little time, and trims all of the usual fat found in rpg's. And if you still want more, you can replay the game using a different approach (by killing or sparing enemies).
I was surprised by how fun the different battles were, especially if you choose to talk your way out. The light puzzle element, mixed with the bullet hell dodging, makes the battles fun all the way through. Game has a very low encounter rate, so you won't even see enemies more than 3 times. And it has an absolutely stellar soundtrack, that can't be stressed enough. The best moments in the game all have a memorable track to go with it.

10. The Swapper: The puzzles in The Swapper get challenging fast, but they're designed in a way that the solution always seems within reach. Sometimes it's more straightforward than you thought, but the more devious ones are more complicated than they first seem. Either way, sometimes I'd just enter a room, try to figure out the riddle, then quit out the game and take a break if I didn't find a solution. But I never had the temptation to check out a guide. I loved the design in the puzzles too much to succumb to that. It's also way too satisfying to figure it out on your own, even if some are complex.

Basic concept of The Swapper is that you can create up to 4 clones of yourself, which behave exactly like you do, and you can swap your consciousness with them. The consequence is that the body you leave behind is just an empty vessel, which you can use as a tool, a means to an end. The developers actually run with this concept and a big part of the (surprisingly great) story revolves around the clones and the concept of a soul and the complexity of mind and matter. The story resonates because you are constantly hands-on with the overarching theme of the game. If you have to do a cruel thing to one of your clones, it hits home. The memorable finale is a culmination of all the soul-searching (and swapping) you had to do to get there. The Swapper could've just been a series of brilliant puzzles and I would've loved it already, but they fleshed it out and created an interesting universe around it. To top it all off, there are the numerous echoes of Metroid and Alien, giving you an eerie sense of isolation.
Rarely do you get such a flawless fusion of gameplay, concept and story. This game is a gem, that I felt too many people slept on.

11. Gorogoa: A two-hour game so rich you'll never forget it. The surreal puzzles take a while to get used to, but once you're 'in' the world of the creator you don't want to get out. Once the game clicks, it's magical.

12. Pokemon GO: this is probably my most played game of my entire list. I have walked so much because of PoGO. Most people dropped it after the hype was over, but over the years the game got many extra features and right now the most compelling is pvp for me. I still enjoy catching, raiding and the community days, but pvp feels like the endgame. Finally a good way to spend all your hard-earned stardust. It's not higher in my list because all the bugs/lag and what have you drag the experience down. After years it's still the same unfortunately. But this game has singlehandedly made me move and exercise more and I've gotten to know lots of people because of the large community too.

13. Resident Evil VII: The one game that convinced me of the value of VR. I thought I was impervious to jump scares but the early hours in this game proved me wrong, it's so incredibly tense. Also turns out that this is a pretty damn exciting entry in the RE series too.

14. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle: I thought I could never get into turn based strategy games but M+R eased me into the concepts very well and I was getting the highest rating on the stages very fast. I'm sure it's easy for vets of the genre but for me it was very rewarding and I couldn't get enough of it. For most people BOTW or Odyssey is their Switch game of '17, but for me it was easily the charming, funny and original M+R.

15. NieR: A game that's more than the sum of its parts. The sidequests are mundane and boring, the combat is less than stellar, but the music, characters and original approach to the story more than make up for it. Cannot wait to play the remake.

16. The Witcher 3: I never cared much for the first two games in this series, but W3 blows them out of the water. It may be an open world game, but its strengths lie in the character and world building and strong quest design. Not often do you play a game in this genre where the sidequests are as good or even outshine the main quest. At the time of writing I haven't completed Blood & Wine yet, but Hearts of Stone is an expansion that takes the strengths of the original and builds on them. A stellar expansion.

17. Super Mario 3D World: I wasn't that into 3D World in the early worlds, but the design gets crazier and more creative with every new area you enter. I kept thinking they couldn't top one world, but then I got proven wrong in the next.

18. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Having robot dinosaurs to fight is pretty awesome on its own, but Guerrilla games also designed a pretty good combat system around it. I never got tired of fighting them and taking down Thunderjaws was so satisfying. Surprisingly I was also very invested into the backstory of Horizon's world and Aloy's origin.

19. Hotline Miami: a coke-fueled ultra violence binge set to a blood-pumping soundtrack. You can't turn your brain off completely though because this is still a combat puzzle game, you have to figure out the best way to clear the rooms.

20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: I liked BotW but didn't love it, which made me look back to ALBW more fondly afterwards. This is still a Zelda that sticks to the formula, but adds enough spice to make it interesting. The overall first party 3DS output was not that impressive to me, but this Zelda is a clear standout and a real gem.

[x] The Witness
[x] INSIDE
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Undertale
[x] The Swapper
[x] Gorogoa
[x] Pokémon GO
[x] Resident Evil VII
[x] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
[x] NieR
[x] The Witcher 3
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Horizon: Zero Dawn
[x] Hotline Miami

Last edited:

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
Let's keep dis brief...

1. God of War - Extreme Tactical Child Rearing: The Game
2. The Last of Us - Goose bumps.
3. The Walking Dead - Just feels. All types of them.
4. Uncharted 4 - It's a popcorn flick...that you play. I loved it.
5. Red Red Redemption - GTA with horses (still need to get around to playing RDR2)
6. Hotline Miami - Style, Baby.
7. Grand Theft Auto V - The game that won't die.
8. Portal 2 - Portal 1: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
9. Dead Space 2 - Best Action-Horro..screw that. Best Horror Game.
10. Far Cry 4 - That alternate ending tho

[x] Dead Space 2
[x] Far Cry 4
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Portal 2
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Walking Dead: Season One

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
Great decade for games, one of the best! From Mass Effect 2 ten years ago, to Control and Death Stranding a year or less ago. Lot of thrills, lot of imagination, lotta fun. Some cult personal favs of mine like DNF and Hitman Absolution, to hits like Skyrim and Mario.

Too many to choose from, I beat just about 100 new games or so in that decade. Didn't seem like a lot or anything, but it may be my most hours of any decade gaming. Good times.

[x] Batman: Arkham Knight
[x] Control
[x] Death Stranding
[x] DOOM
[x] Dragon Age: Inquisition
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Overwatch
[x] Soul Calibur VI
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Thief
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Yakuza Kiwami 2
[x] Duke Nukem Forever
[x] Hitman: Absolution

Last edited:

Deleted member 75846

Jul 23, 2020
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Darkwood
[x] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
[x] Legend of Grimrock II
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
AC never appealed to me but the pull from Ancient Greece proved to be too strong. Kassandra is such a endearing PC and the multiple vistas are glorious, uneven quests, fabulous tourism

[x] Civilization VI
Destroyed too many of my nights, same old same old since the first

[x] Dark Souls 3
Had never played a game from this publisher, intrigued by the reputation of the world building/atmosphere but, quite frankly, put off by all the "super hard", "for the real playerz/git gud" stuff surrounding it and, oh boy, did the game floor me with its fabulous atmosphere/artistry as well as punishing dfficulty (got splanked repeatedly, again and again, by the very first boss, almost gave up, glad I pushed through).

[x] Forza Horizon 2
Such a glorious game, so good that I overplayed it so much that once I got arounf to play FH3 it almost felt meh...
(full disclosure: I know quite well the Nice area so FH2 was doubly magic).

[x] Mass Effect 2
Best team ever (well, except Jacob and Miranda ;), dumbed down RPG, narrow main quest but grand side/loyalty ones. Uneven in a way but highly memorable

[x] Mass Effect 3
More uneven than 2 for sure but really great highs (Tuchanka, Geth/Quarians...), the end underwhelmed but did not enrage me... maybe because the actual end is best DLC ever Citadel (tied with Heart of Stone)

Wow, so drab and repetitive in its setting and graphics production values and still so glorious in the uniqueness of its artistic vision and majestic music - susprised and delighted even this old jaded gamer

[x] Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Even better than Pillars, what an unexpected surprise, best iso-RPG of the decade. Great gameplay, solid epic main story, a worthy "successor" to BG2

[x] Pillars of Eternity
Liked most of it though the too thick and overheavy lore obfuscated a nice actual main quest (loved how they handled the main castle too)

[x] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Great main story, the Roche/Iorverth hard fork quite surprised me and offered great replay value

Even better than Witcher 2, so many memorable moments... the moment you find Ciri, the feels... plus Heart of Stone is up there with Citadel for best DLC ever (that the fantastic Blood and Wine ranks just below speaks volumes to the stellar quality of HoS)

Last edited:

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Inside
[x] Rocket League
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Disco Elysium
[x] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
[x] Ghost Trick
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Kentucky Route Zero
[x] Majoras Mask 3D
[x] Okami
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Pathologic 2
[x] Spec Ops: The Line
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Wonderful 101

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
01. Trauma Team
19290_la-trama-de-trauma-team.jpg

Also known in Japan as HOSPITAL. 6人の医師

Release date: 2010/05/18
Platforms: Wii / Wii U

Under an eclectic choice for game mechanics and characters, it hides a gem of well-crafted systems and an amazingly intricate storyline, full of twist and great moments; taking full advantage of the unique characteristics of the console it was released. It also counts with one of the best art-directions and soundtracks ever put into an Atlus game.

02. Ghost Trick
O2hB8TW.jpg

Also known as Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Release date: 2010/06/19
Platforms: DS / Mobile

An incredibly emotional and intense adventure - which occurs in only one night -, about a ghost who has just lost his life and memory; and faces every puzzly challenge ahead with his newfound ghost tricks; before times runs out to solve the mystery of his murder. One of the best-told narratives in a video game, with beautiful aesthetics and a wonderfully composed soundtrack, but that really shines thanks to every one of its relatable characters.

[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Cuphead
[x] Ghost Trick
[x] Life is Strange 2
[x] Minecraft
[x] Papers, Please
[x] Portal 2
[x] Splatoon
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] Trauma Team
[x] Undertale
[x] Fortnite
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles X
[x] Among Us
[x] Five Nights at Freddy's
[x] Ring Fit Adventure

Last edited:

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[x] Dark Souls
Dark Souls is, fundamentally, the game that saved gaming.
Demon's was too unpolished and niche, but Dark Souls ended up bringing back in the spotlight immensely important concepts:
- Challenge as a value
- Loss as a challenge
- Fear of the Unknown as a trigger for exploration
If you could remove one game from the decade and ask if everything could be so much different, that's Dark Souls. Miyazaki brought back a design philosophy left for dead, and shown how it could shine brighter than anything we'd seen before.

[x] Dark Souls 2
More of Dark Souls, with more in-depth RPG and less action. Just what the doctor ordered.

[x] Darkest Dungeon
More of Dark Souls, but in charming turn-based form!

[x] Diablo 3
Friends are what matters in life, isn't it?

[x] Factorio
What is work?
What is a game?
This crosses the line. The impact it'll have, downstream, on thinking of efficientation as a potentially fun and engaging activity is immense.

And it's so goddamn fun.

[x] Final Fantasy VII Remake
The OST alone deserves a mention.
And did we ever have an actually good combat action with a party?
I think this is the first time, and it should be celebrated!

[x] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
Final Fantasy came roaring back, even if nobody noticed.

[x] Kerbal Space Program
orbital_mechanics_2x.png

[x] League of Legends
Friends really matter in life.
Fundamentally, League of Legends is alcohol. It will hurt you, but it'll make your life and friendships just a little easier to bear.

[x] Pokemon Go
Friends, really, really matter in life.
How do you build a community?
How do you get people to actually walk outside in search and wonder?

Pokèmon Go is a bad game, but it achieved something nothing else quite could.

[x] Monster Hunter World
I'll say it once again: Hunting is the most exhilarating activity humans have evolved for.

[x] Slay the Spire
What is game balance in card games?
This. It's this. Play it.
And get back to me once you stop, in a month or three.
Also to be credited with codifying it's entire genre.

[x] Sunless Sea
Truly original settings are so rare.

[x] XCOM 2: Long War
Mods should get recognition.
Long War is probably the best strategy game ever made, through sheer incredibly constructed depth of reasoning and options.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Outside of #1, these are not really in order.

1. The Witness - the most sublimely designed game I've ever played. It single-handedly brought me back to gaming.
2. Fallout: New Vegas - The engine is clunky as ever, but the RPG mechanics are so deeply engrained into the game, this is one of the few examples of a console game I'd call a straight up "RPG", no "action-RPG" title requried. Features excellent writing and a fantastic world to explore. It's a classic.
3. Dishonored - Decided to put the original game over the stellar sequel that came a few years later. At the time of release, it was a breath of fresh air I think gaming really needed. The beginning of the rise of Arkane Studios, where their industry-leading level design really became famous.
4. Prey - Another Arkane Studios game. Talos-1 is the most well-realized gaming environment ever. The amount of detail and care in making the station is wonderful. The story, while more subtly told, was quite good and the game featured well-written side quests. Combat was a bit of a drag, but a minor complaint overall.
5. Hitman 2 - IO Interactive's masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. Wonderful art design and dark humor goes along with top-tier level design and Hitman's unique social stealth mechanics. It's almost more of a puzzle game than it is a stealth game.
6. Skyrim - the legendary game, though I will always say Morrowind is BGS' best. Skyrim was an industry-changing moment, and shifted a lot of developers towards open worlds. Despite all these talented studios' efforts, there's still something more magical about exploring Skyrim, even a decade later. The handcrafted details, the first person perspective, whatever it is. This is still a game I can go back and play any time.
7. Inside - a wonderful, short indie game. This is one that will stick with you for a while afterwards, won't say any more.
8. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - not a game I expected to put up here. Beautiful music and visuals, slick controls, and each new area brings new mechanics and gameplay. Minor technical issues are the only flaws on an otherwise perfectly designed game.
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the legendary PC franchise returns, and boy was it good. This game, along with Dishonored, marked a short-lived return to glory for the pretentiously-named yet wonderful "immersive sim" genre. A nice, lengthy game with great writing, choice and consequence, art direction, and exploration.
10. Sekiro - From Software's latest masterpiece. This game shed the "RPG mechanics" fluff from Souls/Bloodborne and was just a straight up action game. And it was better for it. From Software's best combat system and easily their best level design ever. A classic I will always cherish.

[x] The Witness
[x] Dishonored
[x] Prey
[x] Hitman 2
[x] Inside
[x] Ori and the Will of the Wisps
[x] Deus Ex: Human Revolution
[x] Sekiro

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
[x] American Truck Simulator
[x] Dishonored
[x] Far Cry 3
[x] Firewatch
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Life Is Strange: Before The Storm
[x] Mafia 2
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Sleeping Dogs
[x] Spyro Reignited Trilogy
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Walking Dead
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Uncharted 4
[x] Watch Dogs 2

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

Played over 200 hours and I don't regret any second of it

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
[x] Botanicula
[x] Hexcells Infinite
[x] Sunset
[x] Undertale
[x] Journey
[x] Limbo
[x] Baba Is You
[x] Sayonara Wild Hearts
[x] The Witness
[x] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
[x] Dear Esther
[x] Gone Home
[x] The Talos Principle
[x] Life Is Strange
[x] We Know the Devil
[x] Squarecells
[x] Samorost 3
[x] Butterfly Soup
[x] Secret Little Haven

Oct 26, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Cuphead
[x] Dark Souls 2
[x] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
[x] DOOM
[x] Doom Eternal
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Splatoon 2
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Slain: Back From Hell

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Disco Elysium
[x] Dishonored 2
[x] DOOM
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Minecraft
[x] Papers, Please
[x] Portal 2
[x] Rocket League
[x] Terraria
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Frozen Synapse

B-Dubs I noticed some weirdness with the list. Both Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe appear on the list, which imo is redundant. Maybe they could be consolidated into one entry?

Also Return of the Obra Dinn appears twice on the list (as Return of the Obra Dinn and Return of Obra DInn). The latter option is mispelled so maybe it could be axed from the list?

Also at least two 2020 titles (Half-Life: Alyx and TLOU2) appear on the list.

Sorry if this was brought to your attention earlier.

Last edited:

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
[x] Beat Saber
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Demon's Souls
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] NieR
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Resident Evil VII
[x] Rocket League

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
For my list I've kept thing simple. These are the games that spoke to me the most. The ones that I'll remember and have a special place in my heart.

Alice: Madness Returns - Weird, dark, twisted and beautifully surreal. A forgotten gem that deserves so much more love.

Batman: Arkham Kight - Controversial opinion but this is the best of the series and sends it out on a high note. Graphics, gameplay, story, music, etc. All across the board, just a triumph.

Control - Cosmic horror as filtered through the banality of 9-5 office life. I dig it.

Deadly Premonition - A technical disaster but an artistic triumph. Twin Peaks as filtered through Japanese culture, then filtered back through midwest Americana. Bizarre and beautiful.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - I love the entire series, but only it and DA:II were eligible. Plus it's the best one anyway. Sorry DA:O fans.

Fallout 4 - I honestly enjoyed this far more than 3 or NV. It's just felt more polished and fun. I played for 300 hours and honestly could have gone for 300 more.

God of War (2018) - Powerful and epic, yet small and intimate. It took a one-note character and turned him into something more than I think anyone would have thought possible.

Grand Theft Auto V - This is insanely fun. Nothing more to say.

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice - One of the most powerful experiences I've had with video games. It's haunting.

Hollow Knight - I'm not even a metrodvania guy but I still loved this. Exploration has never been more rewarding.

InFamous 2 - The first name is better, but cutoff dates mean that the sequel takes this spot. Damn good game and
killing off Cole
still remains one of the most short-sighted gaming decisions in recent memory. That was a mascot character in the making. A new face of PlayStation alongside Nathan Drake.

Mario Odyssey - It basically perfected the 3D Mario formula. Nothing else to say.

Marvel's Spider-Man - Possibly the most fun I've had with a game this decade. Just a pure joy to play.

Mass Effect 2 - Same deal as Dragon Age. I love all three, but number two deserves to represent the series as a whole.

Red Dead Redempton 2 - Vast, epic and strangely engaging if you take the game at the pace it was intended. And that's from someone who didn't care for RDR 1. Yee-haw.

Saints Row The Third -The second most fun game of the decade. I still come back to it and its direct predecessor every few years.

The Last of Us - What can be said that hasn't already been? It's The Last of Us. It raised the bar on visual, interactive storyteling and possibly ushered in a new era of AAA gaming.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- A game so good that no one even cared that they got rid of Link's iconic green tunic.That's the type of thing that usually drives fans crazy, but no on cares because they were too busy witnessing the Renaissance of open world design.

Tomb Raider (2013) - It redesigned an icon and made it look easy. That takes skill.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Again, a game that's essentially here to represent the entire series. In this case it works because it's love letter to the other three.

[x] Batman: Arkham Knight
[x] Control
[x] Deadly Premonition
[x] Dragon Age: Inquisition
[x] Fallout 4
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] inFamous 2
[x] Mario Odyssey
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Saints Row: The Third
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Tomb Raider (2013)
[x] Alice: Madness Returns

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Cuphead
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] FEZ
[x] Furi
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Hyper Light Drifter
[x] Into the Breach
[x] Journey
[x] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
[x] Overwatch
[x] Splatoon
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Wonderful 101

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those nice 30 votes for Ghost Trick :'D
Also to Garmonbozia, Furetehoshii, and Famassu, thanks for those 3 votes for Trauma Team :'v The forgotten Atlus gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.