• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
[x] Asura's Wrath
[x] Dishonored
[x] Divinity: Original Sin 2
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Gris
[x] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
[x] Mario Odyssey
[x] NieR
[x] Valkyria Chronicles
[x] Rime

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
[x] 428: Shibuya Scramble
[x] Danganronpa 2
[x] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
[x] Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
[x] NieR: Automata
[x] Persona 5
[x] Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver
[x] Sonic and All Stars Racing: Transformed
[x] Tales of Berseria
[x] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

jaruuude

Mar 4, 2018
Wellington, New Zealand
[x] Beat Saber
[x] Bioshock: Infinite
[x] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
[x] Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
[x] Cuphead
[x] Driveclub
[x] Far Cry 3
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
[x] Resistance 3
[x] Rise of the Tomb Raider
[x] Rogue Legacy
[x] Tales From the Borderlands
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
[x] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
[x] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
[x] Until Dawn
[x] inFamous: Second Son

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
[x] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[x] Cuphead
[x] Danganronpa 2
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S
[x] Fallout: New Vegas
[x] Fire Emblem: Three Houses
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Saints Row: The Third
[x] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Right

Nov 24, 2017
[x] Battlefield: Bad Company 2
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Death Stranding
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Journey
[x] LittleBigPlanet 2
[x] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
[x] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
[x] Rainbow 6 Siege
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Vanquish

atetrack

Nov 10, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Still staggered at the size of this game. The gameplay loop hooked me from day 1 and I couldn't put it down
2. Overwatch - I bought this 4 different times, have over 1000 hours in it. It frustrates me to no end but winning a close match is still the best feeling I can get from a game.
3. The Last of Us - My favorite game from last gen
4. Mass Effect 2 - Introduced the world to Mordin Solus. The suicide mission is still one of the best moments in gaming.
5. Nier Automata - For what it is, Ending E is incredibly emotional
6. Spelunky - I'm so bad at this game still, even after years of attempts. It's still so fun to go back again and again to try to beat Yama.
7. Civilization V - The best in the series IMO. I don't play nearly as much anymore because I can't "one more turn" myself until 3am with two kids.
8. Saints Row: The Third - Game of the year 2011.
9. Super Mario Odyssey - New Donk City might be the single best world in Mario history.
10. Tetris Effect - If I played this in VR, I think I'd get totally lost in Tetris Effect.
11. Sleeping Dogs - Such a fun open world game. The open world silliness in this is only topped by SR3.
12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - A better Link to the Past.
13. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I bought this again recently and was hit with waves of nostalgia for the music and the landscape of Skyrim.
14. Fire Emblem: Awakening - my first foray into Fire Emblem was definitely my best.
15. Rocket League - for me this game did two things: get me more into competitive gaming (which really blossomed with Overwatch), and served as a proof of concept for the PS+/XBL Gold free game service.
16. Stardew Valley - was always a Harvest Moon fan growing up and this tickled all the right keys.
17. Journey - out of all of these games, I think this is the one I'd want to experience again for the first time. Working with other characters, the swelling music and beautiful vistas - Journey is simply beautiful.
18. Control - what a stylish game. The gameplay was tight and I loved the boss set pieces (and the Ashtray Maze!)
19. Spec Ops: The Line - a typical 3rd person shooter but the story was excellent. Nolan North as Martin Walker is one of the best characters of the decade.
20. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 - this may get on because of recency bias (I just finished) but Falcom did a great job of getting me invested in all of the characters.

[x] Civilization V
[x] Control
[x] Fire Emblem: Awakening
[x] Journey
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Overwatch
[x] Rocket League
[x] Sleeping Dogs
[x] Spec Ops: The Line
[x] Spelunky
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2
[x] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Last of Us- Even after the recent sequel, the original is still one of my favourite games of all time.
Assassin's Creed Origins – I enjoy all AC games but this one was great because it had a different style of setting, and a great story.
Horizon: Zero Dawn – I loved exploring the world and the combat so much I just walked around liking for things to fight. I rarely do that in games.
Mass Effect 2 – I didn't hate ME3 but I loved the characters of ME2 way more. Meeting and getting to know your squad was a highlight.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Great open world with perfect interactions. Just a little thin on world activities. Kind of barren, otherwise it would have been #1.
Tomb Raider (2013) – I really liked it, I bought and played it twice. Even enjoyed the online component.
Ring Fit Adventure – Have fun get fit. Needs some weights!
Persona 4 Golden – I loved the tone and colors for this one. The world may love the flashy new 5, but it didn't click for me as much as 4 did.
Super Mario Odyssey – I didn't play the WiiU games but this one was stellar. Had a blast and my house played it for months.
Overwatch – I wasn't into the concept to start with but the quirky characters reigned me in. Had a great summer with it.
Fire Emblem: Awakening – I debated which FE game I wanted to pick and I decided on this one because I recall it had some great battles.
Bioshock: Infinite
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
God of War (2018)
Marvel's Spider-man
Dead Cells

[x] Assassin's Creed Origins
[x] Dead Cells
[x] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Overwatch
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Ring Fit Adventure
[x] Spiderman
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Tomb Raider (2013)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'll come back here and write something.

[x] Animal Crossing: New Horizons
[x] Apex Legends
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
[x] Enter the Gungeon
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Nex Machina
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Spelunky
[x] Furi

Last edited:

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
TODO: Elaborate

[x] Civilization V
[x] Civilization VI
[x] Factorio
[x] Firewatch
[x] Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Minecraft
[x] Portal 2
[x] Rocket League
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
will write something more substantial when i get the chance, but this is my list. I left Mass Effect 3 and Wolfenstein: The New Order off for variety's sake, given that as much as I love them, I slightly prefer their direct predecessor and sequel respectively; otherwise they'd probably be somewhere around the others in the 15-20 range for me.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. NieR: Automata
3. Minecraft
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
5. Portal 2
6. Disco Elysium
7. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
8. Control
9. Just Cause 2
10. Hotline Miami

11. The Last of Us
12. Overwatch
13. Return of the Obra Dinn
14. The Stanley Parable
15. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
16. The Witness
17. SOMA
18. Inside
19. Alien: Isolation
20. Hollow Knight

[x] Alien: Isolation
[x] Control
[x] Disco Elysium
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Inside
[x] Just Cause 2
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Minecraft
[x] Overwatch
[x] Portal 2
[x] Return of the Obra Dinn
[x] SOMA
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] The Witness
[x] Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
[x] XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Batman: Arkham City - The Arkham series was a dream come true, finally we got a genuinely great licensed game from my favorite super hero series. The freeflow combat system is one of my favorite ever designed, the atmosphere is incredibly immersive and makes you want to explore every inch of the map and discover all of its secrets, villain tapes, easter eggs, and puzzles.
[x] Bloodborne - I tried playing demons souls but just couldn't get into it or figure out what all the fuss was about, Bloodborne changed that. The setting is a massive improvement over the boring and generic envirornments in Demons Souls and favors quality over quantity in weapon design. The mechanic of taking lost HP back in a short window after taking damage is a brilliant way of encouraging aggressive play.
[x] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony - This game had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, it's just bat shit crazy and i loved every minute of it.
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - My first real shot at a DQ game, it made me realize why people have loved the franchise for over 30 years. It made me appreciate the old school nature of the game, incorporating modern day improvements when needed while maintaining the DNA of the franchise.
[x] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - While i prefer XIII, it's not eligible since it came out in Japan in 2009, But XIII-2 is superior to the original in many ways. It's almost as if they designed the game with a list of complaints from the original, such as it being too linear with not enough side activities.
[x] Final Fantasy XV - My favorite game of the decade, the wait was long and absolutely brutal, but the fantastic combat, visuals, music, and world left me with 130 hours of satisfaction that i don't foresee being topped in a long time.
[x] God of War (2018) - Maybe the best game i've ever played, it just doesn't have alot of glaring flaws. My biggest complaint was probably the small font size. The story, combat, visuals, music are all top notch.
[x] Gravity Rush - This is the game that made me want a Vita, the incredible art style is complimented with very fun traversal mechanics and it's just a very unique game that shines even more on PS4.
[x] inFamous 2 - My first ever platinum trophy, Infamous is an improvement over the original in nearly every way. Introducing new powers and massively upgraded production values.
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man - I never thought i'd get another "Arkham" series that takes a beloved IP and turns it into a genuinely great video game, but Insomniac absolutely nailed it. I just loved immersing myself into this world and i can't wait for more.
[x] Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Maybe my favorite JRPG not named Final Fantasy. I always liked the idea of leveling up a town or community in a JRPG and NNK2 goes all in on this.
[x] NieR - I was shouting about Nier from the rooftops long before Automata was announced, the games story, music, and atmosphere are just incredible despite it's obvious budget limitations.
[x] Persona 4 Golden - I actually liked this game alot more on my second playthrough, i almost never play games on the go but i decided to play this on the ride home and during my lunch break and it blew me away at how well it works in those short 20-30 minute bursts.
[x] Resident Evil VII - My first resident evil game. My expectations of Resident Evil was that it was just a dumb zombie shooter and i couldn't have been more wrong, it's inventory magangement, horror, and puzzle solving make it one of my new favorite franchises.
[x] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The only thing i don't like about From Soft games are the confusing RPG mechanics and the lack of a pause button, Sekiro removes both of these. Whenever i die in Sekiro i know it's because i'm not playing well enough, i don't have to worry if i'm underleveled or don't have the right gear or the right build.
[x] The Evil Within 2 - Maybe my favorite survival horror game, i just rented this on a whim because i didn't like the first game, but the more open level design really went a long way and made the game click for me in a way that the original game never did.
[x] The Last of Us - Probably my favorite story in a video game and pretty solid gameplay and crafting, extremely polished.
[x] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I don't even like WRPG, i'm a JRPG player but The Witcher 3 is so absurdly good that even i loved it. The sidequests are better than alot of RPGs main quests.
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Has most of the things i love about the first Xenoblade but with a massively better combat system.
[x] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Last edited:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
So many to pick from, but it's been a fantastic decade overall.

[x] Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (INELIGIBLE, 2009)
[x] Uncharted 4

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
Lots of incredible games in this decade.
Bloodborne the best one (and the all time best).

[x] Sundered

[x] Asura's Wrath
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
[x] Drakengard 3
[x] Final Fantasy XV
[x] Furi
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Inside
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Mass Effect 3
[x] NieR
[x] No Man's Sky
[x] Portal 2
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Swapper
[x] The Witness
[x] Transistor
[x] Sundered

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[x] Bloodborne
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon: Zero Dawn
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Control
[x] Persona 5

coryschmitz

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
NieR:Automata is probably my #1. Total package for me. Story, music, art direction, gameplay, setting... Loved every moment.

[x] Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Demon's Souls
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
[x] Half Life: Alyx
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Witness
[x] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Is remakes like Resident Evil 2 and Shadow of the Colossus elegible?
Also a lot of lists with > 5 games,there is a minimum ?

Last edited:

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Demon's Souls released in 2010 in the UK and 3D Dot Game Heroes released in 2010 in the West so hope I can still add them in.

Truly an amazing decade for games and Bloodborne especially blew me away. The level design was perfect, lore was engrossing and gameplay that was rewarding all the way through. The complete version with the expansion is a thing of beauty.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Transistor
[x] 3D Dot Game Heroes
[x] Devil May Cry 5
[x] Batman Arkham City
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] Untitled Goose Game
[x] Red Dead Redemption 2
[x] VA-11 Hall-A
[x] God of War
[x] Donut County
[x] Uncharted 4 A Thief's End
[x] Death Mark
[x] Spider-man
[x] Fight 'n Rage

Chinatown92

Jan 9, 2018
[x] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
[x] Bastion
[x] Call of Duty: Black Ops
[x] Dragon Quest XI
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Pokemon X, Y
[x] Sleeping Dogs
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] WWE All Stars
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles 2
[x] Yakuza 0

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Asura's Wrath
[] Danganronpa 2
[x] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
[x] Deus Ex: Human Revolution
[] Final Fantasy VII Remake
[x] Forza Horizon
[x] Ghost Trick
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
[] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
[x] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
[x] Mortal Kombat
[x] NieR
[x] Resident Evil 2 Remake
[] The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Last Story
[] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Shadows of the Damned

edit: damn miscounted, thought i was at 20. these removed

KyleP29

Oct 25, 2017
Listed in Alphabetical Order:
Alan Wake
Astro Bot Rescue Mission - The only VR experience that impressed me and a fun platformer
Celeste
Dark Souls - Amazing world design and the best combat out of the souls series
Doom - The best pure FPS by a mile
Forza Horizon 3 - Australia was a fantastic setting. The game was packed with races and things to do but didn't feel unweildly
God of War - Just did so many things right and really breathed a fresh air to a series that really needed it
Gone Home
Journey
Life Is Strange - Likely the peak of the modern day story adventures
Mario Kart 8
Ori and the Blind Forest - Beautiful and hit every aspect perfectly
Overwatch
Skyrim - This was my game of the generation list but then it took an arrow to its knee
Sound Shapes - Very creative concept.... and those levels
The Last of Us - Nailed the story with all the polish of a Naughty Dog game
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What i wouldn't give to be able to just explore this world again for the first time
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Not sure anything has quite top it in its genre
Transistor - Great soundtrack, detailed and interesting combat
What Remains of Edith Finch

[x] Alan Wake
[x] Celeste
[x] Dark Souls
[x] DOOM
[x] Forza Horizon 3
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Gone Home
[x] Journey
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] Ori and the Blind Forest
[x] Overwatch
[x] Sound Shapes
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Transistor
[x] What Remains of Edith Finch

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I had other games on the list, but I couldn't figure out how to have games others have voted for with games no one else has voted for yet on the same list.

So I'll talk about the games no one else has mentioned yet, because it's likely that most people haven't played them.

Wadjet Eye Games was hands down the best publisher of the decade for me releasing hit after hit. Primordia, Technobabylon and Blackwell Epiphany were three of my favorites, but I enjoyed almost all of their other games as well. They are point and click adventure games in the style of LucasArts, but less comedic and more serious, but with a similar art style. They strike the perfect mix of puzzles and story for me with great voice acting. Blackwell Epiphany is the fifth game in the Blackwell series and really ends it on a high note, but I think Technobabylon is probably the best entry point. especially if you like cyberpunk.

The Journey Down is also a point and click adventure game even more in the style of LucasArts that perfectly captures the feeling of going on a great adventure with fun characters and awesome music. It took three chapters and a kickstarter to finally come out, but it was well worth the wait.

Tesla Effect is also a result of kickstarter. The Tex Murphy series were some of the few games (along with Gabriel Knight 2) that did FMV right in the 90's. If you love dad jokes and film noir tropes, I definitely recommend checking it out. It's not necessary to play the earlier games, but it does help, though this is the most accessible of the series. Tex is one of the great characters of gaming and does not get as much appreciation as he deserves.

Finally Pony Island, was one of those games that I knew nothing about going in and completely subverted my expectations. It was probably the most clever game I played last decade and it's a short game so I recommend checking it out.

Games that others have voted for:
Steins;Gate - My favorite VN of all time. Really, really good story, but I'm a sucker for a good time travel story.
Pokemon Omega Ruby - Pokemon is my favorite series and this was the one I played the most this decade though Sword/Shield may come close depending on how the second DLC turns out.
The Witness - Such a great puzzle game that starts simple and becomes more and more complex.
Splatoon 2 - Splatoon is the only shooter I play, because it is one of the only ones where you are rewarded for "not hitting" the other player. It's also one of the few Nintendo games on the Switch where the online isn't terrible.
Tetris 99 - This is the other Switch game where online isn't terrible. I've always liked Tetris, but this game manages to distill it into the optimal time commitment that makes it easy to play a few rounds before bed. Finally achieving a first place finish was one of my favorite gaming accomplishments of the decade
To the Moon - The story, the humor, the music. All in all a great little game with a cool setting.
Gorogoa - The puzzles are so clever, unique and rewarding.
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - My favorite couch multiplayer game. It's a game pretty much everyone can play and enjoy and it never gets old.
Hexcells Infinite - Who else voted for this? You have impeccable taste. I've played a lot of pure logic games and this is the best one.
Return of the Obra Dinn - Amazing aesthetic, with a rewarding gameplay loop.
Gone Home - My first foray into walking simulators and I loved the PNW DIY culture setting.
Hypnospace Outlaw - I love late 90's website design so much, so I feel so fortunate that a 90's internet simulator exists and that it's a lot of fun to play.
What Remains of Edith Finch - Another walking simulator with a really good story and setting.

[x] Primordia
[x] Technobabylon
[x] The Journey Down
[x] Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
[x] Blackwell Epiphany
[x] Pony Island

Last edited:

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
  1. Destiny — How can I explain it? Destiny was the game that got me into shooters and into comunicating with other players. I love this game so much and, even with its flaws, it has delivered a magical experience to me. Many games are way above Destiny quality wise, but none above the experience over those years.
  2. God of War — It's a Masterpiece with capital M. God of War delivers fun combat, amazing storytelling and gorgeous visuals. What stand above the rest, to me, is its story. Kratos and Atreus relationship is by far the best developed relationship this gen, and it hits too close to home for me who never had a good relationship with my father. Combat can be repetitive at times, but it offers a good challenge for one playthrough (Valhalla!!).
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn — Just like God of War, Horizon's high point is its story and, more specifically, its lore. A plot twist that I never saw it coming and a character that we never met and yet we are capable of hating with all our strenghts solidifies that to me. Add that to a simple, somewhat deep, fun gameplay and I'm golden.
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man — This game is the definition of comfort food for me. High quality comfort food. Good combat, good traversal, same old and tried open-world design, but it exceeds where open-worlds comfort food fail: storytelling. While simple, Spider-Man's story is captivating and get you hooked. It's funny how neither God of War nor Horizon made me cry, but Spider-Man did.
  5. Stardew Valley — I just love Stardew. It's a beautiful yet believable world that welcomes you and let you forget your daily Joja job and life. Stardew entered my life in a moment of depression and I glad it did that way, it was uplifting and I hope everyone gets to experience it one day.
  6. Assassin's Creed Origins — Short answer: Bayek. Long answer: Bayek of Siwa.
  7. Journey — Holy f*ck. How can I explain it? Journey is a experience you HAVE to go through to understand why it is so special, but the apex for me was realizing I was playing with other people at the end of the game. Sounds dumb, I know, but I never got that idea during the game. When the credits rolled I cried because those were REAL people. F*cking amazing.
  8. Bloodborne — Another masterpiece. Bloodborne is peak From Software, there's no room to discussion here. Lovecraftian horror is just too good and I love the trick weapon system.

[x] Assassin's Creed Origins
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Destiny
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Journey
[x] Marvel's Spider-Man
[x] Stardew Valley

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Top 10 for me:

[x] God of War 2018
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 4
[x] Spider-Man PS4
[x] God of War 3
[x] Uncharted 3
[x] Horizon
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Batman Arkham Knight

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Alan Wake
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Celeste
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Sayonara Wild Hearts
[x] Undertale

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
[x] Apex Legends
[x] Final Fantasy VII Remake
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Into the Breach
[x] Overwatch
[x] Rock Band 3
[x] Shovel Knight
[x] Sonic Mania Plus
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] TowerFall: Ascension
[x] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
[x] Ultra Street Fighter IV

Raihan

Sep 2, 2020
[x]Xenoblade Chronicles
[x]Mario Kart 8
[x]The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[x]Hollow Knight
[x]Celeste
[x]Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
[x]Sleeping Dogs

[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Mario Kart 8
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Celeste
[x] Sleeping Dogs

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I kinda messed up by accidently sending too early but in the end it's ok because there can only be one and that is Bloodborne. The perfection of a genre and in itself a masterpiece in every way.

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls
3. Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
4. The Last Guardian

[x] Bloodborne

Akyan

Oct 27, 2017
[x] Fortnite
[x] League of Legends
[x] Minecraft
[x] No Man's Sky
[x] Stellaris
[x] Portal 2

Echtzeit

Feb 12, 2020
My personal game of the decade is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, with Prey being a close second. I love worlds to get lost in and both games break new grounds (one more than the other) when it comes to immersion. Much, much more to be said, but I want to primarily vote.

[x] Alan Wake
[x] Assassin's Creed Odyssey
[x] Dead Island
[x] DOOM
[x] Elite Dangerous
[x] FEZ
[x] Forza Horizon 2
[x] Forza Horizon 3
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] FTL: Faster Than Light
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Grow Home
[x] Kingdom Come: Deliverance
[x] Mass Effect: Andromeda
[x] Prey
[x] Spelunky
[x] Steamworld DIg
[x] SteamWorld Dig 2
[x] VVVVVV

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
[x] Apex Legends
My pick

Below are the other games that I think would win based on popularity/criticism
[x] Bloodborne
[x] DOOM
[x] Fortnite
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Halo 4
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
[x] Wolfenstein: The New Order

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
[x] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
[x] Dragon's Crown
[x] Drakengard 3
[x] Final Fantasy XV
[x] Gravity Rush 2
[x] NieR
[x] Okami
[x] Persona 4 Golden
[x] Resonance of Fate
[x] Shadow of the Colossus
[x] Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
[x] Tales of Berseria
[x] Tales of Xillia
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The Third
[x] Ys Origin
[x] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
[x] Ys: The Oath in Felghana

macapes

Nov 19, 2019
United Kingdom
[x] Crusader Kings II
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Destiny
[x] Gone Home
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Hotline Miami
[x] Kentucky Route Zero
[x] Minecraft
[x] Papers, Please
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Witness
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] Untitled Goose Game
[x] What Remains of Edith Finch
[x] XCOM 2

atmb82

Nov 1, 2017
Italy
[x] 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
[x] Batman: Arkham Origins
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Cuphead
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Dark Souls 3
[x] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
[x] FEZ
[x] Ghost Trick
[x] Gone Home
[x] Guacamelee!
[x] Her Story
[x] Hollow Knight
[x] Inside
[x] Mario Odyssey
[x] Monster Hunter World
[x] Picross 3D: Round 2
[x] Resident Evil 2 Remake
[x] Rhythm Heaven Megamix
[x] Shovel Knight
[x] Sonic Mania Plus
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Super Mario Maker
[x] Super Mario Maker 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey
[x] The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
[x] The Last of Us
[x] The Messenger
[x] The Stanley Parable
[x] The Talos Principle
[x] Thimbleweed Park
[x] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (INELIGIBLE, 2009)
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] Zelda: Beath of the Wild
[x] Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
[x] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
[x] Zero Time Dilemma
[x] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (if I had to pick one game it would be this one)

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Crusader Kings II
[x] Dark Souls
[x] Divinity: Original Sin 2
[x] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
[x] Rainbow Six: Siege

BigYoshi

Jan 24, 2018
[x] Bayonetta
[x] Bloodbourne
[x] Celeste
[x] Dishonored
[x] DOOM
[x] Ghost Trick
[x] Outer Wilds
[x] Persona 5
[x] Portal 2
[x] Super Mario Odyssey

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Here is my very varied top in order, though I have yet to play some big games like The Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Zelda BOTW and Persona 5.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Simply the best game I've ever played. The level-design and mechanics creativity may never be topped. It is also a visual and musical delight.

2. Bloodborne
One of the finest, most enjoyable slashers there is, and an out-of-this world art direction.

3. Portal 2
Mechanically in the same league as Mario Galaxy 2, the best coop campaign I've played AND it is one of the few well-written games this decade.

4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The most fun I've had in a competitive multiplayer game, and the balance between variety and precision makes it the best in the series.

5. Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception
This game is so underrated. Yes the narrative aspect has some flaws, but it is still more interesting than 2's. In terms of memorable set pieces, crescendo pacing, art and music, it is incredible. Its notoriety is already shifting, and I'm finding more and more people agreeing.

6. The Last Of Us
The first game has a great campaign AND a great multiplayer mode. Neither are masterpieces, but as a package it is one of the best PS3 games.

7. Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze
Best OST this decade. Also great everything else.

8. Divinity : Original Sin II
Probably the best western RPG on console. Thank you Larian.

9. Celeste
Another 2D platformer with a very different design philosophy. I've hesitated with Super Meat Boy but it takes the crown with pretty graphics and an actual theme.

10. Resogun
The best PS4 game until Bloodborne, and the only reason I was turning my console on. One of the games I was skilled at, as I was at the top of some leaderboards gor a while before Japanese robots kicked me out.

11. God of War III
Just like Uncharted 3, this game is a bit underrated. It has many absolutely memorable scenes, great pacing, the gameplay is not needlessly RPGized and it's a damn artwork in motion.

12. Bayonetta 2
The other great Beat Them All, more Japanese in style. Joyous gameplay, incredible pacing, can't wait for 3.

13. Forza Horizon 2
I have yet to play 3 and 4 and I will on the X, but Horizon 2 was the best Xbox exclusive I've played. I have high hopes for Playground, maybe they can also make me like Fable.

14. Tetris Effect
What a crazy smoothing game. The ZONE like never since Wipeout's zone mode.

15. Dead Cells
Masochistic game. I've beaten it.

16. Death Stranding
The narrative is such bullshit, but damn isn't it a mechanically, visually, musically and tone-wise unique and well executed AAA.

17. Kid Icarus : Uprising
The Shmup sections are godly, but the ground sections are not, preventing it from reaching the skies.

18. Xenoblade Chronicles
Probably the best JRPG I've played this decade, but its second half was a bit dull.

19. The Last Guardian
Amazing experience, hard to describe.

20. Dishonored 2
Arkane is a great studio, the emphasis on level-design is rare in non-platforming games and I appreciate it.

[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Portal 2
[x] Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception
[x] The Last Of Us
[x] Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze
[x] Divinity : Original Sin II
[x] Celeste
[x] Resogun
[x] God of War III
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] Dead Cells
[x] Death Stranding
[x] Kid Icarus : Uprising
[x] Xenoblade Chronicles
[x] The Last Guardian
[x] Dishonored 2

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a lot of these votes aren't going to be counted, since most of you aren't leaving a single comment.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
[x] Europa Universalis IV
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Super Mario 3D World
[x] Portal 2
[x] Titanfall 2
[x] XCOM: Enemy Unknown
[x] Crusader Kings 2
[x] The Wolf Among Us
[x] Dishonored
[x] Alien Isolation
[x] Papers, Please

I am very torn about this gen. I loved last one so much and I was very disappointed with the continous buggy launches and GaaS scummy games this generation has been offering.
So basically my list is a mix of old-gen masterpieces, and this gen niche games.

Also, nobody voted Crusader Kings 2 before me, what's wrong with you.

Last edited:

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
1. Persona 5 Royal - became my favourite game of all time. If you didn't played it - do it.
2. The Last of Us - I don't think I need to say much about it.
3. Bloodborne - I gave up on this game a lot of times, but atmosphere kept calling to me. But it was my second playthrough that made me realuse just how good this game actually is.
4. Zelda BOTW - Nintendo was dead until switch in my region, so botw is the first and only zelda I played, and it's was pure magic.
5. Astro Bot - not only this game is incredibly fun, it truly show you what vr can do. Blew my mind.
6. Witcher 3 - loved game. Loved books. Loved show.
7. The Elder Scrolls Online - played from beta on pc. The bought it on ps4 and play it still. Now actually more active then ever before. I play it when I want to chill, and when I want to go hardcore.
8. Skyrim - tes3 was the first game that really meant to me something, and skyrim is almost as good as morrowind.
9. Driveclub - I loved 2 racing games. Nfs underground and driveclub. Got all stars and achiements.
10. Life is Strange - rarely a game has such strong atmosphere you almost sink in it. This was one of the kind.

[x] Bloodborne
[x] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
[x] Days Gone
[x] Detroit: Become Human
[x] Driveclub
[x] Furi
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Life is Strange
[x] Ori and the Blind Forest
[x] Persona 5 Royal
[x] Skyrim
[x] Spiderman
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Yakuza 0
[x] The Elder Scrolls Online

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Red Dead Redemption 2.

A strange pick in some respects, since it's kind of laborious by design - this game is better than its predecessor, but Red Dead Redemption is still probably more fun - and as improved as the shooting is, it still leaves a lot to be desired.

But man this game has just about everything else: a rich and vividly drawn setting with interesting sights and distractions just up the creek or over the hill; characters that can be contemptible, heartbreaking, hilarious, generous, ornery, and more (but enough about Arthur); a story that meaningfully comments on the corrosive nature of violence without rubbing the player's face in it like a dog who fouled up a favourite rug (looking at you, TLoU II). It's an open world game that feels genuinely alive.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
No real rhyme or reason to this list other than I felt like there wasn't really anything like these games and they provided me with the most enjoyment over the decade. Really wanted to include one of the two Deus Ex games on here but they're both quite flawed in ways that I find equally unsatisfying (if in different ways).

[x] Alpha Protocol
[x] Dishonored 2
[x] Europa Universalis IV
[x] Rainbow Six: Siege
[x] XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
[x] Batman: Arkham Knight
[x] Bloodborne
[x] Dishonored
[x] DOOM
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] inFamous 2
[x] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
[x] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
[x] SUPERHOT VR
[x] The Last of Us
[x] Uncharted 3

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
[x] Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
[x] Bayonetta 2
[x] Control
[x] Forza Horizon
[x] Forza Horizon 4
[x] God of War (2018)
[x] Grand Theft Auto V
[x] Horizon Zero Dawn
[x] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
[x] Mario Odyssey
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
[x] Picross 3D: Round 2
[x] Red Dead Redemption
[x] Super Mario Galaxy 2
[x] Tetris Effect
[x] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley - It's easily the game I've spent the most on this decade. 400+ hours across Steam and Switch and I expect it to go to only increase. I've done about 3 farms at this point and I haven't gotten bored due to the fact that I'm still learning new things about. I don't think I could ever express how much I love this game properly but I just want to thank ConcernedApe for creating it and adding so much to it post launch. He's added so much to this game for free so if you haven't bought it and are on the fence - trust me when I say it's worth every penny. I look forward to a Stardew Valley 2 so much.

The Witcher 3 - It took me awhile to get into this game. I started it then quickly dropped it early on but I think reading some tips on here lead to me giving it another chance and starting over. I mostly just focused on the story, didn't let all the markers on the map overwhelm me, and I loved it. The story is pretty good but I really loved the characters and the world. While there are some repetitive sidequests, I think it does have some great sidequests that truly do standout (my personal favorites was probably the murder mystery one in Novigrad as well as the island with the giant). I restarted a playthrough last year due to the show coming and I really focused on exploring the world, going to markers, etc. and it's made me appreciate the game even more. Also Yennefer's the best.

Mass Effect 2 - One of the greatest games of all time and the best game in the ME series. I borrowed it from a friend after playing ME1 and I knew I was in from a treat when I saw the opening title screen. I don't have much to add because the game speaks for itself. Play it if you haven't and enjoy the experience.

Undertale - Was unsure about this but I think it's worth being on a GOTD list. I avoided it on release because of the hype and years later actually spoiled myself on some major plot beats but you know a game is good when it still manages to make you emotional despite already knowing some of its reveals. A charming game filled with wonderful and lovable characters. Also the music is awesome. Looking forward to Deltarune.

Breath of the Wild - The only other Zelda game I had played before was Ocarina of Time which I never finished because....well I just didn't like playing games on my 3DS for whatever reason. While I was disappointed by the game's lack of story (the trailers felt very story heavy imo), the world itself made up for that. I enjoyed learning how to get better at fighting off enemies, utilizing different skills, and while I don't like weapons breaking, the game wouldn't be the same without that. Running into first guardian with legs was an experience(tm). I do think the game would've been better thematically if Zelda was the playable character but at least we'll finally get playable Zelda in BOTW2....right? Haha.......

Bayonetta - I spent so much time 'gitting gud' at this game that it would be weird not to have it on here. I had never played a character action game before this and I was introduced to it via a demo that was included in an Xbox magazine my brother had gotten. I remember us both going 'wtf' when the main character summoned a demon with her hair. It was crazy but I knew it was a game I had to play. I'm glad the series has managed to survive via Nintendo and I'm not-so-patiently await Bayo3.

Persona 5 - This one was hard. I debated it at lot. The dungeons are too long. The game contradicts its own themes and messages constantly. The character writing leaves a lot to be desired at times. There's a lot of questionable things in this game. It's stupid as f**k to put it bluntly. Yet...I liked it a lot. I liked it more than any major FF title that's come out this decade. I had no interest in the Persona series but after P5, I'm probably going to perk up a bit and listen when I hear news about Persona. The characters could be written better but they're all still very lovable and enjoyable despite their flaws (except Morgana, he sucks). I actively looked forward to exploring each of their confidants and learning more about them. I loved all of the slice of life elements in the game. The music fucking slaps and the game is fun to play. Yeah, it's long as hell but am I going to buy P5R when it's cheaper and subject myself to 100 hours of P5 nonsense? Hell yea, shoot that shit straight into veins. Drag me FF-Era, I'll take it.

Spyro: Reignited Trilogy - This remade trilogy made me realize what I didn't as a kid: Spyro has the superior games. While there are some mildly questionable design changes (ex. Shelia the Kangaroo), this trilogy was a joy to play through and not only captures the spirit of Spyro but elevates it. I actively wanted to see a Spyro cartoon done in the style of the remake because it was just that charming and cute. Overall, it represents the ideal standard for remakes - there's a reason I've bought it twice.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - FEAR THE DEER. I had never played a FE game before 3H. I heard about it but I didn't own any of the consoles the others were on. The hype around 3H, friends' opinions on the game, as well as the cool character designs, especially for Edelgard, intrigued me enough to buy the game about a couple of weeks after its launch and man...what a game. I do find some of the arguments surrounding the actions of certain characters kind of silly due to the fact that...the game (at least in my opinion) isn't as deep as people have turned the plot into it nor do I feel like it is really trying to say anything deep but all that aside, it's a wonderful game packed with content. I put 100 hours into my GD and BL run and I do plan on going back to finish my BE run. I also really appreciated them making the game as accessible as possible with the different difficulties too. Overall, the stories in each route are intriguing and while there are characters I just didn't like period, the support system within the game did such a great job when it came to exploring the depths of each character and their relationships with other people. Sylvain is an example of a character I thought was annoying at the start but his supports really shined a different light on the character and why he behaved the way he did. If you own a switch but don't have 3H then you're missing out. Finally, Dimimari. <3

[x] Bayonetta
[x] Mass Effect 2
[x] Persona 5
[x] Spyro Reignited Trilogy
[x] Stardew Valley
[x] Undertale

Teelie

Jan 4, 2019