• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
I have an X-Arcade. I bought it way back in 2002 when I was super into MAME. It functions as a PC keyboard, but I also have some adapters for connecting it to PlayStation 2 and GameCube. It still works perfectly fine, although I hardly use it these days.

This isn't an actual picture of mine, but it's identical to this:

x-arcade-dual-joystick.jpg

There are also pinball flipper buttons on the sides that can't be seen in the picture.

I've been thinking of getting rid of it, but I'm not sure if it would be worth much now. I might have to get MAME set up again.

apc

Jan 16, 2018
Are there people out there making replacement TE2 bezels? I'm trying to make my stick a little more understated and would love to get away from the red but I'm not really seeing anything :/

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I want one for the original TE I just bought, but they're all but out of stock/discontinued everywhere, and the ones I could get, I don't want.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
I have an X-Arcade. I bought it way back in 2002 when I was super into MAME. It functions as a PC keyboard, but I also have some adapters for connecting it to PlayStation 2 and GameCube. It still works perfectly fine, although I hardly use it these days.

This isn't an actual picture of mine, but it's identical to this:

x-arcade-dual-joystick.jpg

There are also pinball flipper buttons on the sides that can't be seen in the picture.

I've been thinking of getting rid of it, but I'm not sure if it would be worth much now. I might have to get MAME set up again.

I have one of these as well. I thought about digging it out to use it, but then I remembered the outputs... I think it uses a gameport to PS/2 keyboard adapters, which is kinda weird to think about these days.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the xbox 360 Injustice pdp stick is supported with the 360 to PS4 Brook Converter?

I tried using it after updating the firmware and it doesn't recognize the stick, the guide button flashes green so it's getting power, but can't actually use it.

I googled to see if it was supported it, but what ever list I found didn't mention it, either as unsupported or supported.

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed there's something wrong with the joystick on my TE2. Like, sometimes when I try to jump in training mode towards/away it'll only register the horizontal input and not the vertical even if I ride the gate to up back/forward. Instead of just buying a new stick is it possible for me to just use the joystick from my old TE1? Even though I haven't used my TE2 10% as much as my TE1 I don't recall there ever being any kind of issue like this.

dylie

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to sell my Mad Catz TE2 stick, the Chun Li variant, on local sites for about two months now, and I'm coming here to ask if this is a desirable stick among this community at all because I've had no interest from local buyers. Really would like to get rid of it, as I no longer play fighting games. I'd even be willing to sell it to one of you if it's something one of you would like to own!

Here's a picture:

EtPn03cl.jpg

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Edit: Just picked up a Qanba Obsidian on Amazon lightning deal for $153. Price was too good to pass up (and also figured it was some sort of sign).

Original Post:
Can anyone suggest an arcade stick for shmups on PS4 (Battle Garegga, Dangun Feveron, Ketsui (one day...) etc.), though I will also be using it for casual SF5, Tekken 7, and Injustice 2 (not going to EVO anytime soon). I used to use a Hori EX2 on Xbox360 for Virtua Fighter (the only fighting game I was ever truly competitive at) and Cave shmups and it served me well. I'm also hoping to use a converter to use it for all the good arcade stuff on Switch (Neo Geo fighters and Psikyo shmups). Lastly, I'm looking for something that's comfortable and durable in its stock form (I don't like to tinker around with things unless 100% required).

Currently debating between the Hori RAP 4 Kai, Qanba Obsidian, or Hori RAP N Hayabusa, but (obviously) willing to go for something cheaper, if highly recommended. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
i need some help.

last week i installed a new bat top and 2lb spring in my madcatz te+ stick and i notice it screws off as i play. if i tighten it the stick becomes either too stiff or completely unmovable. does anyone have any tips or possibilities of what's up?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been trying to sell my Mad Catz TE2 stick, the Chun Li variant, on local sites for about two months now, and I'm coming here to ask if this is a desirable stick among this community at all because I've had no interest from local buyers. Really would like to get rid of it, as I no longer play fighting games. I'd even be willing to sell it to one of you if it's something one of you would like to own!

Here's a picture:

I'd try Amazon Marketplace or EBay. Too lazy too search for current going prices, for you, but I sold mine off back in 2016 for a bit more than I paid for it (more or less broke even after Amazon fees) so there was some heightened demand back then.

I have the PS4 Tekken 7 Hori Stick now with Sanwa Denshi Silent buttons subbed in now and like it a lot. I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like as I haven't had the energy for fighters, but will hold onto this one just to have a stick when I feel like fighters or MAME arcade games. I like playing Thumper VR on it a lot too!

Bioshocked95

Oct 30, 2017
I got the Tekken 7 Hori (Xbox) stick a while back, and have found huge improvements in things like DBF, but still can't get used to assists and swapping characters, so frustrating, but great fun. Also swapped the buttons for Sanwa ones, for that clicky goodness :3

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Where can I find a screw on arcade stick?

like the whole stick can be removed.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a bunch of spare PCB laying about right now as well as buttons and more from doin Raspberry Pi stuff and from modding sticks over the years. I think I'd like to try something new out for a build after reading about Mix Boxes.
For those that don't know a Mixbox is an arcade stick that replaces the stick entirely with WASD style mechanical keyboard buttons. The concept is kinda like a hitbox. I originally learned KOF on emulators and I only had a keyboard to play on so relearning KOF was nutty for me as I was used to rolling my fingers along keyboard keys for all the crazy inputs it required. Never quite got it down on stick or pad.

Basically to get an idea what kind of buttons to order PC gamer had an article on it

From what I gather the Cherry MX is the the mechanical keys I need and I can go just about anywhere for keycaps for those. Hell I can get tons of CUSTOM keycaps thanks to PC gamers being so big into stuff these days.
Looks like I can just use the same wires from the PCB for my sticks to the keyboard keys so zero delay all the way gear will work. Pretty excited to come up with a pattern to cut out for this idea. I may have to get it 3d printed for a keymount if I can't find a WASD shaped plate to frame in my buttons securely on the top plate. If nothing else I can just use Worbla thermo plastic to trace out a frame that works and then have a metal one cut out later if the prototype stuff works and doesn't wobble..Really wanna do this since Instant air dashing and short hops are super easy using these things.

Last edited:

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a bunch of spare PCB laying about right now as well as buttons and more from doin Raspberry Pi stuff and from modding sticks over the years. I think I'd like to try something new out for a build after reading about Mix Boxes.
For those that don't know a Mixbox is an arcade stick that replaces the stick entirely with WASD style mechanical keyboard buttons. The concept is kinda like a hitbox. I originally learned KOF on emulators and I only had a keyboard to play on so relearning KOF was nutty for me as I was used to rolling my fingers along keyboard keys for all the crazy inputs it required. Never quite got it down on stick or pad.

Basically to get an idea what kind of buttons to order PC gamer had an article on it

From what I gather the Cherry MX is the the mechanical keys I need and I can go just about anywhere for keycaps for those. Hell I can get tons of CUSTOM keycaps thanks to PC gamers being so big into stuff these days.
Looks like I can just use the same wires from the PCB for my sticks to the keyboard keys so zero delay all the way gear will work. Pretty excited to come up with a pattern to cut out for this idea. I may have to get it 3d printed for a keymount if I can't find a WASD shaped plate to frame in my buttons securely on the top plate. If nothing else I can just use Worbla thermo plastic to trace out a frame that works and then have a metal one cut out later if the prototype stuff works and doesn't wobble..Really wanna do this since Instant air dashing and short hops are super easy using these things.

I REALLY like the idea of the mix box. Would love to get one for next stick.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017

I think it's a neat idea, but I have a hard time understanding what the purpose would really be over a more "standard" hitbox style button layout. Especially stuff like short hops / IAD are just going to be even easier when you can use your other hand's thumb for the up input. The only upside to me seems like it being more reasonable to run 30mm for your primaries.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a neat idea, but I have a hard time understanding what the purpose would really be over a more "standard" hitbox style button layout. Especially stuff like short hops / IAD are just going to be even easier when you can use your other hand's thumb for the up input. The only upside to me seems like it being more reasonable to run 30mm for your primaries.
All a matter of muscle memory I played WASD originally on keyboard learning KOF. It'll feel good to me is all that matters.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that will behave exactly as you expect with all the SOCD cleaning needed to make it work on the console end, but seems a neat idea as long as you are sure you will never end up playing in an arcade environment and forced to use stick at some point.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure that will behave exactly as you expect with all the SOCD cleaning needed to make it work on the console end, but seems a neat idea as long as you are sure you will never end up playing in an arcade environment and forced to use stick at some point.
I got my own arcade sticks galore already. I even got a pandoras' box arcade setup of my own too. I got that skill down well enough. I just learned KOF on wasd and am better at the execution heavy inputs in that serious via wasd is all. If this works out though I may try out making a keyboard style hitbox using those Cherry MX keys for a mini hitbox style controller layout on a raspberry pi handheld build design at some point. That way I can have a pocket sized hitbox arcade and not be reliant on dpad styled retropi handhelds for that stuff on the go which would be great considering if you buy snk games on pc you get the rom files to use on pi. It'd be a fun project to tackle after the mixbox stick if it works out well and feels good.

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to figure out an issue I'm having with my current stick. I've noticed over the past few days that, in D-pad mode, when I press one direction and then the opposite direction, the character just stops, doesn't move or block or anything. This only happens in D-pad mode, when I switch to analog stick mode, the character will move or block. I've tried this in both Street Fighter and Tekken, so it's definitely a hardware issue here.

I'm thinking now's probably the time to start looking into modding in a Sanwa stick (the stick I'm using uses off-brand parts), but is there anything else I can do to fix the issue in the short term? Anything I'm overlooking?

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to figure out an issue I'm having with my current stick. I've noticed over the past few days that, in D-pad mode, when I press one direction and then the opposite direction, the character just stops, doesn't move or block or anything. This only happens in D-pad mode, when I switch to analog stick mode, the character will move or block. I've tried this in both Street Fighter and Tekken, so it's definitely a hardware issue here.

I'm thinking now's probably the time to start looking into modding in a Sanwa stick (the stick I'm using uses off-brand parts), but is there anything else I can do to fix the issue in the short term? Anything I'm overlooking?

What type of stick is it? If it's a current-gen MadCatz, I wouldn't be surprised if your PCB is crapping out on you - there have been a lot of reports of that, with different symptoms.

If it works fine when your stick is in Analog mode, you at least know it's not a physical issue with your joystick failing to hit microswitches.

Oct 25, 2017
What type of stick is it? If it's a current-gen MadCatz, I wouldn't be surprised if your PCB is crapping out on you - there have been a lot of reports of that, with different symptoms.

If it works fine when your stick is in Analog mode, you at least know it's not a physical issue with your joystick failing to hit microswitches.

It's a Mayflash F300.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vuZCGEf.jpg

It's killing me to keep the stock buttons and all on there but the stuff is too new to get rid off just yet, and it may just be my ocd but I feel like the printer at FA might've jacked up the colors just a bit (not sure if it'd be worth putting the people over there through my hairsplitting). Still glad with the result though, I was kind of worried cause I don't usually commission art but getting something specifically for an arcade stick is definitely the way to go.

Gotta be honest though the Fighting Edge is a pain in the ass to take apart compared to most other sticks; it's a great stick but damn it's got some weird construction.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anyone is interested in a PS4/PS3/PC Hori Tekken 7 Fightstick (with Sanwa Denshi Silent buttons swapped) in, or PS4/PS3/PC Hori Fighting commander pad I just listed mine in the Buy/Sell thread here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/6829456/

I'll delete this if sell posts aren't allowed here, but fighting game controllers are pretty niche so thought I'd post here too. Cheers.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
Currently gathering the parts to fit an MC Cthulhu and Brook UFB into a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 clone but damn, stick modding is expensive.

I cannot stress how nice it is to have a Brook PS4-PS2 converter and a modded PS2, so many hot ports!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized something I'm missing here for a homebrew stick I want to drill and put together...home button. I have a stick already that wasn't wired up with a functioning home button and because of that I couldn't pair it to a console if it wasn't already P1. That little panel bit in the upper left corner on sticks with all the turbo, macro and home button stuff...whats it called and where can I order it?

2Mv23lo.jpg

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized something I'm missing here for a homebrew stick I want to drill and put together...home button. I have a stick already that wasn't wired up with a functioning home button and because of that I couldn't pair it to a console if it wasn't already P1. That little panel bit in the upper left corner on sticks with all the turbo, macro and home button stuff...whats it called and where can I order it?

2Mv23lo.jpg
I don't think that's a generic part you can just order. Those control panels are specific to the control PCB for the particular stick they come from. If you're not literally using the guts out of a stick that came with one, you'll have to come up with something else that works for the PCB you're using. (Usually people just wire a 24mm or 30mm button to serve as Home and put it somewhere out of the way.)

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a generic part you can just order. Those control panels are specific to the control PCB for the particular stick they come from. If you're not literally using the guts out of a stick that came with one, you'll have to come up with something else that works for the PCB you're using. (Usually people just wire a 24mm or 30mm button to serve as Home and put it somewhere out of the way.)
Damn. If thats the case good luck pairing these damned things unless theres a spot on the PCB for a home button. I'll have to look over my zero delay boards and see what I got on there since I never looked further than stick and buttons on the pins. Hopefully I'm okay and can still attempt the hitbox/mixbox ideas with my parts box. Otherwise I may as well turn em into plug n play retropie arcades.

Jimmy Wrong

Nov 20, 2017
Damn. If thats the case good luck pairing these damned things unless theres a spot on the PCB for a home button. I'll have to look over my zero delay boards and see what I got on there since I never looked further than stick and buttons on the pins. Hopefully I'm okay and can still attempt the hitbox/mixbox ideas with my parts box. Otherwise I may as well turn em into plug n play retropie arcades.

You're gonna need to dril a hole for each button and wire it - what case are you using? If you want something smaller than 24mm, you can use anti-vandal buttons (various sizes, commonly 16mm and 20mm)

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna need to dril a hole for each button and wire it - what case are you using? If you want something smaller than 24mm, you can use anti-vandal buttons (various sizes, commonly 16mm and 20mm)
No casing. Making my own with a hole saw bit and buttons and some pcb's and stuff I just got piled up after years of modding. Figured it'd give me something to do with wood for an evening and it may save me cash on buying a hitbox since I got more than a full stick in parts already. Damned hitbox cases cost around $80 and I could just cut up some stuff, trim, and finish something for next to nothing thats fast and responsive if I dont get shutout by home buttons or whatever.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
No casing. Making my own with a hole saw bit and buttons and some pcb's and stuff I just got piled up after years of modding. Figured it'd give me something to do with wood for an evening and it may save me cash on buying a hitbox since I got more than a full stick in parts already. Damned hitbox cases cost around $80 and I could just cut up some stuff, trim, and finish something for next to nothing thats fast and responsive if I dont get shutout by home buttons or whatever.

Depending on what consoles you're targeting you're probably better off switching to something that natively supports them, like the PS360+ or one of the Brook boards. Those boards all have leads for Home/Start/Select/Back.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue you described sounds like a PCB issue; replacing the joystick won't fix it.
Have you tried updating the firmware? http://mayflash.com/Support/Download/

Replacing the joystick is still a good upgrade though. I personally have a LS40 in my Mayflash stick, and it's great.

Actually, it turned out to be an issue on Steam's end. Did buy the joystick, though, and I'll probably get around to installing it once I decide to pull the trigger on some pin harnesses.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on what consoles you're targeting you're probably better off switching to something that natively supports them, like the PS360+ or one of the Brook boards. Those boards all have leads for Home/Start/Select/Back.
Got it. Already got one ordered since I want the hitbox to be my go to on everything. BTW do I have to create my own ground for this board to wire it to or not? I know buttons got a wire for input and one for ground so Im not certain if I need to do anything on my own when I got from scratch like this.

BTW these kits are super cheap right now.

Even comes with the optional pin cable for the hitbox mod I wanna do,pcb mounting stuff, and all the nice detachable usb stuff. I got buttons galore so I'm pretty well set by buying this. Just drill up some wood, paint and either use plexi to cover my art or clear coat a paint job.

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Got it. Already got one ordered since I want the hitbox to be my go to on everything. BTW do I have to create my own ground for this board to wire it to or not? I know buttons got a wire for input and one for ground so Im not certain if I need to do anything on my own when I got from scratch like this.
I'm not sure what you mean by "create your own ground". All boards provide one or more ground pins/screw terminals and are common ground so you can easily run your grounds from button to button. I tend to crimp two wires into each ground QD so you effectively just have one very long ground wire with a bunch of QDs along the length of it. If you are replacing a PCB that already has separate ground wires you could join them all with a crimp connector or a wire nut.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by "create your own ground". All boards provide one or more ground pins/screw terminals and are common ground so you can easily run your grounds from button to button. I tend to crimp two wires into each ground QD so you effectively just have one very long ground wire with a bunch of QDs along the length of it. If you are replacing a PCB that already has separate ground wires you could join them all with a crimp connector or a wire nut.
Got a picture of this? I've so far just used plug n play stuff. You talking wire all the buttons together and then run that to the ground pin on the board?
I saw on the 20pin stuff in the kit two wires that had multiple plugs on em. One looked like it had 8 plugs. I take it thats the ground line? The other probably the grounds for the directional buttons or stick?

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Got a picture of this? I've so far just used plug n play stuff. You talking wire all the buttons together and then run that to the ground pin on the board?
Every button needs a unique signal wire but the ground can all be shared across everything. slagcoin has a pretty useful diagram that illustrates the principle:

custom_setup.png

Note in this example a 5 pin lever harness is used. The lever PCB the harness plugs into already combines all the grounds.

This example also wires literally everything to a single ground connection, but most boards these days provide multiple. They're all interchangeable, so you have a lot of flexibility in deciding whether to combine ground wires or run them separately if it's more convenient.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Every button needs a unique signal wire but the ground can all be shared across everything. slagcoin has a pretty useful diagram that illustrates the principle:

custom_setup.png

Note in this example a 5 pin lever harness is used. The lever PCB the harness plugs into already combines all the grounds.
Cool. I'll drill out the top plate, setup my buttons and do all the wiring first to test it out. After that I'll spend some time working on making the frame look nice. Whats the point in a Jasen or Hitbox purchase when all you get is a box anyway amirite? I can make a box for less than$90 and the full kit was only $119. I got buttons. Beats $269 up to $300+ after tax to order a box from hitbox or jasen. Though I gotta admit Jasen's pcb looks super duper fucking organized and pretty.

Anyhoo. Debating playing with fancy wood trims and relief stuff for the sides, or just goin simple with routered trims to just contour the edges. The wood trims would look great with gold leafing done to them. Plus I could frame in the sides and top with vinyl linoleum sheets with marble patterns. Then I'd have gold and decorative marble everywhere. Not like trim or linoleum stickers are expensive. Bout $7 a piece and I'd have excess galore. I could hide the seams with corner blocks as well. Maybe by wooden reliefs from craft stores and gold leaf them as well for bits and bobs to decorate with.

Last edited:

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I see Newegg has the cheap Qanba Drone on sale for 40 bucks, I also have an old PS3 TE-S that won't work on PC, how hard would it be to swap the stick and buttons out of the mad catz into the Qanba? Or is it just easier to get one of those USB converter sticks.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I see Newegg has the cheap Qanba Drone on sale for 40 bucks, I also have an old PS3 TE-S that won't work on PC, how hard would it be to swap the stick and buttons out of the mad catz into the Qanba? Or is it just easier to get one of those USB converter sticks.
It will work on PC, you just have to buy a USB PCI card that has a VIA chipset in it. It's like $5-10.