• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Welcome to ResetEra's fourth Anime of the Year (AOTY) voting thread. This thread allows us to look back on the various anime's that came out in the year of 2020. We use this thread to celebrate those that stood out in the crowed rabble of the medium that is anime. As well as to help guide both newcomers and veterans of the medium towards interesting anime, they may have heard of but haven't delved into that came out this year.

For better or worse anime can be a difficult medium to get into. Whether it be from the lack of knowledge of what shows are out there; to certain stereotypes (both true and falsely equated ones) associated with anime as a medium making one uncertain if they want to try it out. The overall goal of these community AOTY voting/results threads are to both celebrate the quality works of the year, while also being a reference in helping someone find a better example of the medium to watch.

This year in particular was a tough one for the industry as a result of COVID-19. With this thread we can in a small way honor and highlight all the work the people in the industry did to provide us with incredible new stories. Perhaps in bringing some of these shows to the attention of a wider audience we can help the industry move forward into a new better year.

j7UTmQm.png

Please read the rules below, failure to comply with the rules can lead to part or all of your ballot being disqualified. If you are uncertain about any aspects of the rules, please PM me and I'll do my best to clarify on the subject.

Voting Rules

Cut-Off:
The vote will be closing on March 10th, 2021 at 11:59PM EST. Any vote posted or editing of previously posted vote after said time will not be counted.

Categories:
This year we are changing things up a little bit! There will be three main categories for AOTY:

Anime Series of the year – Top 10
Anime Movie/OVA of the year – Top 5
Hidden Gem Anime Series -- Top 3

The purpose of the Hidden Gem category is to allow more shows to get a spotlight. I have noticed that there is a correlation between popularity and placement in the final tally, leaving many excellent shows relegated to obscurity. The expectation here is that folks should provide a more detailed description for their picks, highlighting the show's merits. DO NOT Abuse this category, i.e. do not put shows here that are widely known and watched by the community. I reserve the right to invalidate entries that do not go along with the spirit of this category.

Example of shows that do not qualify for Hidden Gem:

-Haikyu!!
-Kaguya-sama: Love is War
-My Hero Academia

You will be able to vote up to 10 TV Shows, up to 5 Movies/OVA, and up to 3 hidden gems TV Shows. You can include any number of Honorable Mentions. Honorable Mentions can be shows/Movies/OVA from this year that didn't make the list, as well as any anime you watched in 2020 that may of not came out in 2020 but you felt others would enjoy. When listing Honorable Mentions, please include the words Honorable Mentions above said list so we don't accidentally confuse them for your main voting ballot.

Eligibility:

Anime Series – Any series that was broadcasted in Japan in 2020 can be included on your list. This also includes long running shows that started prior to 2020 like One Piece. As well as, multi-course shows from 2019 (Like Chihayafuru); which started in Fall of 2019 but also ran in Winter + Spring of 2020. Also eligible are ONA shows that dropped all at once (usually via Netflix) in 2020. Any show that began in 2021 is not allowed.

There is one exception to the aired in 2020 rule: If a Netflix anime that originally broadcasted in 2019 in Japan but was stuck in Netflix jail for the west. If Netflix did not release said anime in your region until 2020, then you may include in your top 10 list.

Anime Movie/OVA – Due to the nature of how Movies/OVAs are distributed, the rules for this section differ from the TV shows. If a Movie/OVA released in Japan in 2020 you may include it in your list. If a Movie/OVA became available in your territory in 2020, you can include it in your list. Any work that can viewed via a film festival screening / theoretical screening / or was released for the first time on home media in 2020 is eligible.

Not Anime/Fake Anime/ Etc... – If it's not anime you can't vote on it, only Japanese productions. Any western produced shows animated by Japanese studios are not allowed either.

The exclusion of other countries works is not to be elitist, nor to belittle the animated works of other countries. This thread's purpose is to focus on Anime and the quality works produced this year from the medium. Though you can't include non-Japanese produced works in your list, please feel free to include them in your Honorable Mentions section.

Voting Format:

All votes should look like this format:

1. Akudama Drive -- An Incredibly animated cyberpunk story, delivering incredible world building and gorgeous fights.
  2. Chihayafuru S3 – The third season in poem reading, card smashing, sports anime. It continues to be peerless.
  3. Moriarty the Patriot – A brilliantly directed take on the famous detective nemesis in his quest to break down the burn down the corrupt establishment...by all means necessary.
  4. Jutsu Kaisen – A shonen show that rises above others with incredible animation, perfect comedy, and interesting world building.
  5. Fruit Basket S2– The continuation of the gut wrenching tale of a bunch of cursed animal children being abused and their depressed friend...it's good I promise.
  6. Deca-Dence – The epic quest of a robot to take back control from an unjust system, perhaps the mirror our society needs right now.
  7. Talentless Nana– The children of my hero academia get an unexpected visitor....things escalate dramatically.
  8. Hands Off Eizouken – A trip through the creative process of creating anime. With an emphasis in the creative aspect, the show creates an incredible sense of wonderment.
  9. Kaguya-sama: Love is War – Our boy Ishigami gets the spotlight and it is glorious.
  10. Woodpecker's Detective Agency – A bleak tale of a poet's life as he wrestles with the cruelty of the world against his childish idealism. What will he do to make use of his last days.

• Please have your list numbered in the same way as show above. Do not do 10 to 1, if done that way your ballot may be tossed. A visual example of what not to do will be shown below.
  • Please do not include a Power Gap. If you only have 5 shows you want to list simply list them 1-5, do not do 1-3 (POWER GAP) 9-10. If included your ballot may be tossed, an "Eye Catching" visual example of the power gap will be included below.

ZLob0Ek.png

• Please include a comment about each show for your ballot to counted. You don't have to write an essay (you can though), a few words on why this show appealed to you will suffice.
  • Please use the English name of the show when listing your shows in your list. The English name is the one that the streaming service like Crunchyroll/HIDIVE/Etc. use on their platform. Also, please use the full name of the show, do not use nicknames/shortened names like MHA4 for My Hero Academia Season 4 or FFS2 for Fire Force Season 2. You can include the Japanese name after the English name inside ( ).
  • For shows that have multiple seasons that aren't continuous like Attack on Titan, please include Season # after the title. This can either be done as Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2, Attack on Titan S3 P2 or Attack on Titan (Season 3 Part 2), either of these ways are acceptable. The one exception to this rule is if a show has had multiple upon multiple seasons like Pokemon, there is no need to shove a (Season 10) after said titles. Note here Attack on Titan is used as a 2019 example here.
  • For any show that had multiple seasons in the year of 2020, the show for both seasons must be included in a single ballot vote on your list.
  • Please do not post open, un-tagged spoilers anywhere in this thread.
  • Please do not do a 'Reserve' post to hold a spot in a thread to eventually post your ballot. There is no need to do this, just post your ballot when you are finished writing it.
  • You can edit your ballot until the deadline passes.
  • Feel free to include images to your ballot, please try to avoid using too many gifs and make sure your images are well formatted.
  • Points are in descending order, with your #1 being worth 10 points, your #2 being worth 9 points and so on until your #10 which is worth 1 point. For films your #1 is worth 5 points and your #5 worth 1 point. For Hidden Gems we will do #1 being worth 10 points, #2 5 points, and #3 2 points.
Example Template
Please check the below example before posting your list. Thank you!

Anime TV Series
1. Series A - Your thoughts on Series A.
2. Series B - Your thoughts on Series B.
3. Series C - Your thoughts on Series C.
4. Series D - Your thoughts on Series D.
5. Series E - Your thoughts on Series E.
6. Series F - Your thoughts on Series F.
7. Series G - Your thoughts on Series G.
8. Series H - Your thoughts on Series H.
9. Series I - Your thoughts on Series I.
10. Series J - Your thoughts on Series J.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Film/OVA A - Your thoughts on Film/OVA A.
2. Film/OVA B - Your thoughts on Film/OVA B.
3. Film/OVA C - Your thoughts on Film/OVA C.
4. Film/OVA D - Your thoughts on Film/OVA D.
5. Film/OVA E - Your thoughts on Film/OVA E.

Hidden Gem Anime TV Series
1. Hidden Gem Series A - Your thoughts on Hidden Gem Series A.
2. Hidden Gem Series B - Your thoughts on Hidden Gem Series B.
3. Hidden Gem Series C - Your thoughts on Hidden Gem Series C.

Honorable Mention
x. Honorable mention - Your thoughts on it.

Remember to get your votes in before the deadline of March 10th, 2021 at 11:59 EST. Also, once again if you have any questions please PM me.

Have fun writing up your lists and watching through your anime backlog to get your list finalized! Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Anime TV Series
1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - an incredible, heartfelt look at the joy of animation and creation from one of the greatest anime directorial teams of all time, worked on by animators with a massive love for the medium. This should be required viewing.
2. Japan Sinks 2020 - Similarly by Yuasa and his team at Science Saru, Japan Sinks 2020 is a stunning and devastating adaptation of the excellent sci-fi story that continues to captivate Japan today.
3. Beastars - Examining social class, sexuality, and systemic oppression through the lens of furries, Beastars is a compelling and unique journey of self-actualization with shades of intrigue to tie it all together.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try to get around to updating this later as I have a number of series to still finish, but this is my current list. (at the very least pictures will be added later :P)

Anime Series:
1. Akudama Drive - The story to this isn't great, but the series is just pure fun with a great cast, lots of action in a cyberpunkish world.
2. Great Pretender - This show isn't perfect, but it was a lot of fun. I'd totally watch more of this if they made it.
3. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Was also just a lot of fun. There's a second season announced, but despite this being this high I don't know how high of hopes I have for another season as this one wrapped up well.
4. Hidden Things/Kakushigoto - I included the Japanese name because I don't think I've ever seen anyone call it Hidden things. Anyway this was a lot of fun as a comedy, and it stuck the landing well.
5. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - More Kaguya... Better Kaguya... Really this would be number 1 if I didn't heavily weight sequels down... and season 3 is going to be... AMAZING!
6. Fruits Basket 2nd Season - I hope you weren't trying to use this cute looking series to cheer you up during a pandemic... it's far better this season at slapping you with sad things instead.
7. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax! - A fine conclusion to the series. I'm just glad I watched the rest of it dubbed as that wait between seasons would have been killer lol
8. BNA - Half of this show was great, the other half of it was not. Overall I enjoyed it though and would consider it only the second Trigger series that is any good (the first being Little Witch Academia)
9. Id:Invaded - This series tried to be different, and sometimes it succeeded... other times it uh... well... it was fun/interesting enough in general.
10. Gymnastics Samurai - The series was just enjoyable from start to finish. Solid cast, solid story. Never climbed to be anything amazing but def an enjoyable watch.

Hidden Gem
1. BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. - I don't recommend thinking about this series too much, but if you turn off your brain it's fun watching cute girls... destabilize a MMO.
2. The Misfit of Demon King Academy - Round 2 for I don't recommend thinking about this series too much, but if you turn off your brain it's an amusing power trip with decent characters.
3. Gymnastics Samurai - Honestly I need to finish this one still (I'm watching the dub) but 4 episodes in so far I feel like people overlooked this series from a bunch of the Zombieland Saga people... which if you haven't watched Zombieland Saga go do that too. I hate zombies, I'm not a fan of zombies, I in general hate cute girls doing cute things.... Zombieland Saga was great.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch anything last year...

Anime TV Series
  1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!- This show made me feel that feeling you get when I used to write, and reminded me how much I missed it. An amazing show about creating an anime that everyone should watch.
  2. Haikyuu! To the Top- The two seasons this year covered my favorite arc AND favorite match in the manga (which wrapped up this year), while not on the extremely high level of the previous seasons as far as the animation goes, that is more of a testament to the previous staff than a knock on this one. You know an adaptation is good when the moments you look forward to are done well, but an adaptation is GREAT when moments blow you away that you weren't expecting.
  3. BanG Dream! Season 3- This season is where the 5th 6th Bandori band Raise A Suilen really got a chance to shine. It was a pretty awesome parallel to the original season, while having a lot of crossover with the established bands. As always this is a vehicle for Bushiroad to debut new music from each of the bands, and it delivered there too.
  4. Talentless Nana- I re-read Death Note this year and was so glad an anime came out that had the same level of asspulls as that series. It was ridiculous at times, but almost every episode end had me impressed and wondering where they were going to go next. Picked up the manga immediately after the season ended.
  5. ID: Invaded- Pretty sure this show was just an advertisement for MIYAVI cds and Johnny Walker whisky. A very interesting premise that ended up getting too ambitious for its own good. Had one of the more brutal emotional montages though. Didn't expect the show to make me feel like that.
  6. Japan Sinks 2020- I love Yuasa but this was not one of his shining moments. When major characters die early on and your initial reaction is laughing, there's something wrong. That said the overall story was good enough, and later in the series their big moments hit like they were supposed to. It had a lot of heart. Let's not forget one of the greatest anime gifs of 2020.
TEVrlwK.gif

Honorable Mentions (Aka the best of the older stuff I watched this year)

Ping Pong The Animation- Blew me away. I feel like this is up there with Cowboy Bebop where you could show this to someone who watches anime and they would have a great time. Amazing characters, amazing soundtrack, amazing art. It has it all and it wraps up in a neat 11 episodes

Revolutionary Girl Utena- In an alternate universe, Utena took Evangelion's spot as the anime EVERYONE kept bringing up year after year after year, and that universe was better off for it. A strong cast of characters that grew and changed over the run of the series, a killer soundtrack, and by god the spectacle of it all. The duels on top of the tower just ooze style. It was obvious why it inspired so many other shows.

Pokemon Special Music Video "GOTCHA!"- Dude. They crammed so much nostalgia in 3 minutes, even as someone who has only played a handful of the games, where it hit, it HIT. The 5 second scene of Gold fighting Red on top of Mt. Silver is probably my favorite anime scene of 2020. Rie Matsumoto is still a threat.

26PDEOZ.gif

Last edited:

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2 - Some more of the same as season 1 but we also get some needed backstory for Ishigami
2. Haikyuu!! To the Top - Slow start in the beginning of the season, but everything starts to come together by end with the improvement of the teams and especially Hinata's play.
3. Chihayafuru S3 - More card game goodness. I need more!
4. Dorohedoro - The mystery behind this show and world kept me wanting more. The animation by MAPPA impressed me more than I thought it would.
5. Jujutsu Kaisen - A good shounen with great animation by MAPPA who continue to knock it out of the park this year
6. Akudama Drive - Pure fun experience and show
7. Deca-Dence - The show got me hooked with the first 2 episodes after seeing the twist
8. Beastars - The world of Beastars was interesting and how the creatures interacted with each other was fun to watch
9. Brand New Animal - Fun show overall and I wished we got to see more of it
10. Keep Yours Hands Off Eizouken! - A lot of creativity in the show and great group dynamic

Last edited:

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Akudama Drive - I don't know when they started working on this, but it ended up being the perfect look at what America is in 2020 (and probably beyond).
2. Deca-Dence - A super creative take on capitalism, in a time when it is greatly needed.
3. Jujutsu Kaisen - Absolutely gorgeous and blood pumping battles, what shounen is all about.
4. Haikyu To The Top - Undeniably great representation of what it's like to compete in sports.
5. Re:Zero S2 - More suffering for everyone's favorite MC.
6. Welcome to the Demon School! Iruma-kun - This was a carryover from 2019 that bears mentioning. One of the best feel-good shows in a long time. It really has a feel of a show from the 2000s, in a good way. There's more coming soon, so jump in now.
7. Golden Kamuy S3 - This season did deep dives into the backgrounds of its crazy cast, being both darker and funnier than ever.
8. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - A charming look into the minds of creatives.
9. Beastars - The pinnacle of 3DCG TV series; it's also pretty good.
10. Aggretsuko S3 - More enjoyable Aggretsuko content.

1. The Gymnastics Samurai - Sports anime doing what it does best, being inspiring. Great cast of characters here.
2. Wave, Listen to Me! - A rare anime about working class adults, and ever rarer look into the radio business. Funny and also somewhat disturbing.
3. If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die - A bright and cute show with some good humor. Felt great to visit every week.

Honorable Mention
Moriarty the Patriot - Eat The Rich: The Anime. Definitely is a mood for 2020.
Dorohedoro - One of my most anticipated shows of the year, and it didn't disappoint. Future seasons will be even better if they come to exist.
Major 2nd S2 - I've been a Major fan since the original in the mid 2000s, and this is the best the show has ever looked. A real top quality production.
Appare-Ranman - Wacky Races: The Anime, what's not to like about that?
BNA - Another show that uses animals as parallels to people to take a look at racism, and more daring than Beastars, but not quite as good. Nice work by Trigger.
In/Spectre - Very wordy, but the words are very good. Probably works best as a binge watch.
Interspecies Reviewers - We don't get series like this often that truly embraces the lewd. Very controversial but very unique. Decently funny.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Attack on Titan S4 - 🐐 is 🔙. New studio but they seem up to the task to land the plane.
2. Re:Zero S2 - Barusu dies over and over again in the most fucked up Rogue-like isekai. The first half of the season is a build up to the batshit crazy revelations in the second half of the season. I'm a little sad we don't get to see all the characters from the first season.
3. Haikyuu! To the Top - Bunch of production hiccups, but the story is dope as usual. Some of the animation is just bad given how amazing the first seasons were. But having never really watched sports anime, it's miles ahead of 2.43 - the other volleyball anime.
4. Moriarty - Super clever take on the Holmes series, I wish they didn't have Sherlock, but whatever. The way and reason Moriarty murders is super slick.
5. Beastars - Zootopia actually works much better with highschool age kids
6. Aggretsuko S3 - Retsuko becomes an idol in her spare time to pay off bills from a driving snafu. Pure insanity, but they make it work.
7. Appare-Ranman - I wasn't expecting anything from this, but it ended up being a silly and goofy fun anime about a race across America from a group of early car enthusiasts. Fast Anime the Furious.
8. Tower Of God - The rules of the game are constantly changing and the challenges to ascend the tower don't really make sense, but the story is fun and I like the weird tests and beasts who all have their unique quirks and skills.
9. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - I love love love the style and animation of Eizouken. It even has three amazing female leads, explains anime production in anime, the writing is hilarious, clever, and charming but the story and plot were not strong enough.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
With Akudama Drive and Deca-dence, looks like I'll have to subscribe to Funimation to watch it.

Glad to see the Eizouken love

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
TV Shows
1. JUJUTSU KAISEN - I've always liked the main ideas of popular battle shounen shows: the hype battles, inventive superpowers and so on. But everyone of them that I actually tried to watch always had something holding it back: be it atrocious pacing, bad humour, or garbage character writing. But JUJUTSU KAISEN is the first one of these I can actually wholeheartedly recommend: the main cast is all great and likeable, the action scenes are incredible, the pacing is brisk, and the general direction of it all is incredible. And on top of all of that, the way the show handles social issues is on a completely different level compared to its contemporaries.

2. Talentless Nana - This show is just an incredible roller-coaster of hype and cliffhangers, in a way I haven't really experienced since watching Code Geass. Like, if you've watched enough anime, you know how there are times when the ending theme starts playing before the actual credits because hype shit is about to go down the next episode? Nana pulls this off almost every episode, and it always works. And while it would be easy to dismiss Nana as just being trashy garbage based on initial impressions, it actually also has a decent bit of good character development hidden away amongst it's pretty basic setup.

3. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War? - This is pretty much just more Kaguya-sama. It's still good, and it's still basically the best romantic comedy out there, but the novelty of it has definitely worn off by now, and I'm also not a huge fan of the parts that were adapted this season.

4. Sleepy Princess in Demon Castle - In 2014, Mitsue Yamazaki directed one of the best anime comedies ever made with Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. But despite the praise the show received, it ended after a brief first season, never to get a sequel ever again. Sleepy Princess in Demon's Castle is the first purely comedic anime directed by the very same director since then, and he pretty much does the same thing here that he did with Nozaki-kun: turns a rather standard comedy manga into something pretty damn funny. It's sadly not quite as good as Nozaki-kun, but it still manages to be a pretty funny take on standard fantasy tropes, elevated by an extremely entertaining main character.

5. Princess Connect! Re: Dive - This is the show I'm most conflicted about this year, because it's basically two shows in one. On one hand, you have the director Takaomi Kanasaki channeling the same energy he put into Konosuba, creating a show that both looks incredibly lively and is pretty funny. But on the other hand, the show is also a soulless commercial for a gacha game. So you have a show where certain episodes are really good, but others feel like nothing more than bland fanservice for fans of the game that, at the time of the anime's release, wasn't even available in English.

6. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Isekai shows are basically the most popular genre of anime these days, but so far, they have been almost exclusively oriented around male protagonists. But My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! represents the first TV adaptation of a subgenre of isekai that has become incredibly popular in manga in recent years but has so far been absent in anime: that of a female protagonist being reincarnated as a villainess in an otome visual novel. It's an amusing enough concept the first time you see it, and the show manages to be a pretty decent adaptation of its source material.

Movies/OVAs
1. A Whisker Away - If there's one thing watching this movie made me realize, it's that we now truly live in a post Your Name anime world. Mostly because this is basically the exact same thing: a fantasy romance/drame about two teenagers mixed in with with some vague supernatural stuff, and an obligatory insert-song sequence. But despite the similarities, I actually liked this quite a bit. The protagonist is charming, the romance feels more earned, the visuals are beautiful, and there's even some heartfelt if clumsy social commentary. Plus, it was released on Netflix, meaning you can actually watch it in the same year it released in Japan.

2. Weathering With You - Speaking of movies that are like Your Name, we have Weathering With You, its sequel. Watching it, it kind of feels like Shinkai has apparently decided that he's never going to make anything better than Your Name, so he just copy-pasted large parts of it here. In isolation, I think I actually like this more than Your Name - I just like the protagonists more, and the ending is bizarre enough to at least be interesting. Plus Shinkai has always been great at capturing rain in his animation, so the movie looks great too. But it's just impossible to walk away from this without feeling like you've seen most of it before.

3. Heart Forecast - A great example of how to tell a story purely through animation, as well as just a very cute little short music video/megacorp commercial, accompanied by one of Eve's better songs of late. If you don't have an hour plus of your time to watch the two videos above, you can just watch this instead for only about four minute. The full thing is here for anyone that wants to watch it.

4. Her Blue Sky - This is a frustrating movie to review. I absolutely loved parts of it - how it deals with its adult relationships, as well as the theme of motherhood that was present in Okada's previous work (Maquia). But as a whole the movie just doesn't really come together all that well. It comes off as too unfocused with too many plotlines for its runtime (particularly compared to Maquia), as well as almost superfluous fantasy elements. It is however, absolutely beautiful to look at, with great character designs, and a great attempt at capturing semi-rural Japan.

Honorable Mention
1. The King's Avatar Season 2 - If this actually counted as an anime, I'd put it at number 4 on the AOTY list. But since it doesn't, it just gets a honorable mention. For people unaware, this is basically the Chinese version of Sword Art Online, except instead of a gamer being stuck in a virtual world, it's just about a former professional gamer playing a PC MMO. It's also good, unlike Sword Art Online. Yeah, it's still a shameless power fantasy, but it's a power fantasy done right, with a main character and supporting cast that are all insanely likeable. And with how shit this year has been, having a stress free power fantasy where you know the good guys will always win isn't even a bad thing anymore.

While the second season wasn't quite as good, and there's some weirdness associated with them changing the animation studio (plus the localization quality going down the drain). But the overall story still has the same heart that the first season did. Sadly a lot of this season's story feels like it's just killing time (with the focus being on the protagonist recruiting a team for his eventual return to esports), but there's some pretty decent character work thrown in there too particularly in terms of developing and humanizing the show's "villains".

For this section, I'm counting any anime rated under #40 for popularity on AniList as a hidden gem. This ranking isn't really a great method of doing this (since it doesn't correlate all that well with popularity on Era or even on Reddit), but it's the best ranking I can find that's at least somewhat objective.

1. Talentless Nana - This is admittedly kind of a hard show to sell to people, because it has a pretty rough start. The first episode in particular, is terrible, but even after that it takes a while for the show to really get going. But it's also a show that's good at constant escalation, so after about the halfway point, it turns into something truly great.

2. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - At the time of writing, this is rated as the 55th most popular show on Anilist for 2019. But despite me ranking it pretty high in the AOTY list, I kind of understand why. Because at a first glance, it looks like just another one of the dozens of cute girl shows that come out every year, if not every season. It's even animated by Doga Kobo, a studio that made their reputation on shows like that (and what's worse, they haven't exactly shied away from extremely uncomfortable fanservice in the past).

But this isn't really that kind of show. It is instead firmly a comedy that parodies standard JRPG tropes. And a pretty funny one at that.

To be clear, the point above isn't necessarily to disparage anyone who likes CGDCT shows. Rather it's to make it clear that Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle can attract an audience like me that doesn't generally care for shows in that genre.

3. Princess Connect! Re: Dive - Like I said in the AOTY list, this is essentially an ad for a waifu gacha game. I wouldn't be surprised if people wrote this show off based just on that. After all, gacha advertisements are almost consistently some of the most uninspired shows around. But Princess Connect is different, in that it gives the director enough leeway to create something that feels unique and personal rather than just a soulless money grab. Even with all of that it's not a perfect series, but it's at least worth a look.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
SolidSnakeBoy
Question, or rather two ones about hidden gem thing: 1. By your description I would assume only ~2020 shows are eligible just like for the rest of the categories, correct ? 2. Can I vote for the same show twice, in the main list AND then also in the hidden gems list ?

i'm behind. show mercy!!
The eternal struggle.
4. Sleepy Princess in Demon Castle - In 2014, Mitsue Yamazaki directed one of the best anime comedies ever made with Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. But despite the praise the show received, it ended after a brief first season, never to get a sequel ever again. Sleepy Princess in Demon's Castle is the first purely comedic anime directed by the very same director since then.

Huh ...

Fine, I'll give it a shot.

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
SolidSnakeBoy
Question, or rather two ones about hidden gem thing: 1. By your description I would assume only ~2020 shows are eligible just like for the rest of the categories, correct ? 2. Can I vote for the same show twice, in the main list AND then also in the hidden gems list ?

The eternal struggle.

Huh ...

Fine, I'll give it a shot.

Yes to both :)

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
TV Series:
1. Dorohedoro - A great manga gets a really good adaptation. Even the sometimes wonky CGI doesn't hold back this powerhouse of world building and likable characters. Also an amazing OP and 5 amazing EDs
2. Jujutsu Kaisen - More Mappa, more good shit. Amazing production all around, fun characters, good fights. Also Best Ending song and animation

Honorable Mention:
Attack On Titan The Final Season - Only 4 episodes aired in 2020 so I'm tossing this here. I'm caught up on the manga and I'm hype as shit for what Mappa is doing here

Really that's it for me, 3 Mappa shows.

Edit got a year wrong damn 2020 sucked

Last edited:

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series

1. Dorohedoro
- The most delightfully weird thing this year. It's impossible to describe, but he weirdness together with an amazing cast of characters makes this an easy AOTY.
2. Great Pretender - The first story arc is terrible - it oozes with style but has an underwhelming story that priorizites nonsense twists over anything else. It improves a lot afterwards, when the story slowly starts focusing more on the characters. The fact that it's also by far the best looking show this year makes this an easy recommendation.
3. Japan Sinks: 2020 - Unironically. Yuasa's just too good at what he does.
4. JUJUTSU KAISEN - A battle shonen with good animation, fun characters and a non-offensive story, which is just about the rarest combination in anime.
5. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - The perfect chill comedy I've needed in a year like this. It's both sweet and hilarious.
6. Akudama Drive - It's a shame the dudes behind Danganropna can't write a character with more than literally a single character trait, because aside from that this is a pretty fun action show.
7. Talentless Nana - Finally, an anime that understands that the cast of My Hero Academia consists of terrible people who deserve that bad things happen to them. Well worth watching for that alone, even if I don't care for the last few episodes at all.
8. BNA - Gotta love how stylish Trigger shows can be. I don't hate the story as much as other people seem to, so the pure style on display made this a very enjoyable watch.
9. Attack on Titan Final Season - It's still good, but it also barely aired this year so it's hard giving it more than this.
10. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - The inferior Yuasa show this year. Still, even an underwhelming Yuasa show is well worth watching.

Honorable Mentions
Given
- The best show of 2019 that no one watched. Most people (including me tbh.) probably dismissed it as another garbage BL show when it's actually one of the best shows of the last decade. There's just something about the way this show writes characters that's so unlike other anime. It takes what would usually be tired anime archetypes and turns them into something that's genuinely compelling and the way it slowly builds to one of the best emotional climaxes I've seen in anime is incredible.

The King's avatar 2 - I have a lot of fond memories of playing random MMOs. While there's a lot of anime that deals with MMOs in some way most of them seem to be written by people who've never actually played an MMO and invariably just turn it into a fantasy world with a vague skill system and some stats sprinkled on top. It's such a joy to finally see a show that's just about some dude playing an MMO, with all the things those actually contain - stuff like raid guilds, open-world pvp, guild drama, and tanks fighting for aggro. It's all tied up really well with a story about a former professional player trying to put together a team of underdogs and make it back into the professional league.

Which is the other thing I love about it. I legit don't understand how espots anime isn't more of a thing. This is an industry that's all about otaku pandering, so you'd think it would be an obvious match. I still fondly remember waking up early to watch Korean Starcraft streams years ago and seeing something like that that in an anime sold me on it instantly. It does a good job of representing that aspect as well, with things like edgy gamer gear, weirdly-named pro teams and uniforms seemingly designed by 12-year olds all being present.

I honestly can't tell whether this is genuinely a good show or if I just like it because of the MMO/eSports aspects. It does have a pretty fun (and also huge) cast of characters, some nice (though quite rough) action, and the plot manages to stay compelling throughout. On the other hand, the pacing is extremely fast and the translation is severly lacking, making it hard to keep up with everything. Still, for anyone else looking for a show that deals with esports and MMOs, it nails those two aspects perfectly.

I'm not voting for the hidden gems because I'm genuinely not sure which of the shows would qualify. I'd be curious which ones the OP would actually accept as such, since I don't think anything in my list is all that unknown. Well, except for The King's avatar. That would be perfect for the category but the rules sadly make it ineligible.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
*whew* ok I'm done, just was hard to rank everything :x

TV Shows

1) Talentless Nana (Munou na Nana)

This had been my no. 1 "wish it got an anime adaptation" when I started reading it over a year ago. I was so glad it did, and with an excellent anime adaptation of the source material! This is one series that you go into and think you know what you're going to get, but really it just keeps on surprising you! This is now my no. 1 "wish it gets a season 2 anime", as I cannot wait for the rest of this to get animated!

2) Akudama Drive
I figured I knew what I'd be getting into, considering the creators! From the animation, the fun characters, to the director design of the series, it was not only fun and pretty, but turned out to be very thought-provoking near the end.

3) Fruits Basket Season 2
The real meat of the series, with some tough story themes. The comedy is more turned down in this season for the more serious subject matter, but it's still super emotional with all the feels.

4) Somali and the Forest Spirit (Somali to Mori no Kamisama)
The manga art is some of the nicest I've seen, and although the anime wasn't able to detail it out, it brought a nice, colourful pallet to the animation style, and one that I also welcome. A nice, slower-paced fantasy that was a treat to watch each week.

5) Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (Maoujou de Oyasumi)

I find it hard for me to get into most anime comedies, but this one completely did the trick! I loved these gags, considering the main character is the real villain towards the monsters that had kidnapped her. Watching the princess and demon relationships was a great thing, and just such a fun show!

6) Jujutsu Kaisen
I am not a huge shonen fan, and although I'll read a bunch of mediocre stuff on my Shonen Jump sub, I'm not the biggest fan for a lot of them. When I read this it did get better with time, but WOW what an example of the anime going above and beyond, and making the anime adaptation even BETTER! Such good animation direction in it, that a lot of the choices just outdo the manga it was based on! It's a real treat for the eyes!

7) Beastars
I really had no idea what this was even about going in, just knowing the CG animation was great. Well, it was not what I expected, yet very entertaining! Reading ahead now, and looking forward for Season 2 in a few months (when Netflix releases it...)

8) Digimon Adventure (2020)
I'm just too big a fan NOT to have this listed, but I understand with those that dropped it. My own personal nostalgia, and I do like/prefer some stuff this show does, like giving the Digimon evolutions more to do that just be a repeated stock animation each time, like it used to. It's definitely fallen lower on my ranking, but I'm still there every Saturday to watch!

9) Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon (Hanyou no Yashahime: Sengoku Otogizoushi)
Also a big Inuyasha fan previously, and this does a pretty good job of creating a sequel with a unique story/characters. The story is by no means perfect, but the characters and even the fillerish eps are actually really fun!

10) Aggresive Retsuko Season 3
Not my favorite Aggretsuko season, but the show overall is such a joy to watch! I'm always awaiting new series from this, from my favorite Sanrio character!

Movies/OVAs

1) Digimon Adventure: 20th Memorial Story (Digimon Adventure: 20 Shuunen Memorial Story)

A VERY recent entry, but just really enjoyable! This is a series of 5 OVAs funded by a Japanese crowdsource, as supplemental material to the Digimon Kizuna movie. Although the last OVA was not my favorite, these shorts were cute, fun, and had that spark that a lot of Tri and Kizuna (and even the new Adventure series...) were missing. It's just a shame that these were never officially translated into other languages...

2) Pokemon: Twilight Wings (Pocket Monsters: Hakumei no Tsubasa)
A series of shorts with amazing animation, and one thing I love about Pokemon shorts is how they do NOT revolve around Satoshi/Ash, and branch off more into the world, usually the game game storyline. This had amazing animation with great little slice-of-life stories, and it's great to keep seeing more of these!

3) A Whisker Away (Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu)
(Same animation studio as Twilight Wings!) From theaters to straight to Netflix due to COVID, it was great to be able to check this out right away! I LOVE Ghibli's The Cat Returns, and this had a lot of similarities with that, and was just a very fun watch!

4) Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna
I still feel conflicted with this movie for a variety of reasons, but the positives still outweigh the negatives. I'm glad they were able to more than what Tri did, but at the same time the villain was weak/had a tropey motive, yet there were still some feels. I was super glad to hear some old song favorites play in the background with new renditions too!

5) Burn the Witch
Great adaptation of 4 chapters of the manga, and even though it IS a short series (which will continue, at least, as a manga for now) the world is very interesting with some fun main characters. Animation was great in bringing it to life!

Hidden Gems

1) Talentless Nana (Munou na Nana)

I feel like this has gained popularity due to curiosity/spoilers over time online, although is nowhere near mainstream (although a good number of people on AnimEra did check it out). This is one you jump into without reading or looking up anything at all. Just jump in, but as I always recommend to people, this story is something that progresses, and to give it time, as early assumptions are NOT as they seem in this story! Many ditch reading/watching this, because they assume they know what will happen, and that is just not the case... You gotta watch and make it a commitment to see it through.

2) Somali and the Forest Spirit (Somali to Mori no Kamisama)
Even I keep forgetting this one came out in 2020 :x While some find it "boring" (as I've seen before), I find it a nice, slower-paced fantasy with feels, and yet some surprising subject matter as well. Makes for a nice, calming "before bed" anime, well, most episodes at least.

3) With a Dog AND a Cat, Every Day is Fun (Inu to Neko Docchi mo Katteru to Mainichi Tanoshii)
This one didn't make my top 10, but might as well be an honorable mention! With being only 2 min shorts, I feel like this show doesn't get nearly as much recognition as it should. The aspects of owning both a dog and cat are here, but for a gag show, it has some quite relatable emotional and sad moments, too! I think many pet owners can really relate to this series.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Ok let's get started on this

TV Series

1. Fruits Basket S2: Season 1 only gave us glimpses of its true nature behind the shoujo haze, but season 2 is when Furuba really shows its teeth. I'm not even sorry when I say it gave me immense pleasure to see newcomers squirming as each episode showed just how bad the Sohmas' lives were and just how dangerous Akito could be. But it wasn't all misery porn, as characters made breakthroughs, romance blossomed and others overcame years of trauma to reach a better place. I'm overjoyed my favourite shoujo is being made with love and care, with an attention to detail that breathes life into this world. I eagerly look forward to the final season and for Furuba to shock newcomers one last time.
  2. Chihayafuru S3: The Queen of Sports anime reclaims her title. I was so happy to return to the Karuta club and watch their successes and failures. I love every single character in this series. I love that their lives are made up of more than just a card game. I love the friendships, the rivalries, the romance and everything in between. I hope we can get another season. And another. And another.
  3. Beastars: Wonderfully animated, acted, scored and directed. Beastars is a highly polished, nuanced series that's never predictable. Season 2 is currently airing and I'm more than happy to have this back.
  4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2: It's amazing how I went from ambivalent to fully engaged with this series. My favourite anime will always favour character over anything else and Kaguya-sama is no exception. It's also very funny.
  5. ID: Invaded: A very stylish, thoroughly engaging detective series with a fun twist. Very dark at times and a little rough around the edges, but the overall product is very entertaining. Will happily watch more.
  6. Keep Your Hands Off Eizoken: A wonderful love letter to animation in general. I really liked hanging around these 3 dorks and their adventures through art. The OP is the standout of the year.
  7. Talentless Nana: A little bit of Death Note and a little bit of MHA, this was an extremely entertaining anime about killing superheroes. There's enough twists and turns to make you cackle over the absurdity and enough drama to actually pull at your heartstrings. This was an unexpected delight.
  8. DECA-DENCE: So ridiculous it works. It's a shame that the show changes focus from our young protagonist to the grizzled older one, but this is otherwise very fun.
Hidden Gems in a bit...

Oct 25, 2017
Given - The best show of 2019 that no one watched. Most people (including me tbh.) probably dismissed it as another garbage BL show when it's actually one of the best shows of the last decade. There's just something about the way this show writes characters that's so unlike other anime. It takes what would usually be tired anime archetypes and turns them into something that's genuinely compelling and the way it slowly builds to one of the best emotional climaxes I've seen in anime is incredible.
It did receive votes last year so I dont think it was something people didnt watch. Dont know how folks missed it when it was celebrated beyond BL loyalists especially after the music performance. I think its one of the more approaching mainstream romance BL that weve had in awhile.

Movie in February on Crunchyroll should renew interest in it,.

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It did receive votes last year so I dont think it was something people didnt watch. Dont know how folks missed it when it was celebrated beyond BL loyalists especially after the music performance. I think its one of the more approaching mainstream romance BL that weve had in awhile.

It only got 6 votes. That's just way too little. It deserved more than that.

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

It only got 6 votes. That's just way too little. It deserved more than that.

It is such an underrated show. The team knocked it out of the park with the adaptation having that new dimensionality of sound to complement the story. Probably one of the show's that Hidden Gems would have helped in 2019 (a year of many shows flying under the radar IMO)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to this thread, I found out about JUJUTSU KAISEN. Seems like it will scratch that 90s Madhouse itch.
edit: spelling

Last edited:

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By my current count it has only 2. With Funimation and Crunchyroll having the lions share with an edge to Funimation! Use your votes if you would like to make a difference!
I'm actually surprised at how many shows I liked this year were on Netflix. Dorohedoro and Great pretender in particular were amazing. They also had a bunch of shows that weren't quite as great but are still enjoyable (BNA, Beastars also technically counts for this year). Also Japan Sinks, which I know a lot of people consider as a complete joke, but it is currently pretty high up in this thread's voting.

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I'm actually surprised at how many shows I liked this year were on Netflix. Dorohedoro and Great pretender in particular were amazing. They also had a bunch of shows that weren't quite as great but are still enjoyable (BNA, Beastars also technically counts for this year). Also Japan Sinks, which I know a lot of people consider as a complete joke, but it is currently pretty high up in this thread's voting.

Yeah....it has me very concerned.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Anime TV Series
1. Chihayafuru 3 ; Secret GOAT anime.
2. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax! ; Wack ending. NTR, please.
3. Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina ; There's an anime about a witch with ashen hair traveling all over the world. What is this chill, sometimes kinda dark show that I couldn't help vote for? That's right, it's Elaina.
4. Adachi and Shimamura ; Cute show and it's good that it affirms what the viewer is thinking later on. Don't see that happen much.
5. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 ; People were right about Ishigami, the best boi.
6. Rent-a-Girlfriend ; I like how there's a character that's collectively called a garbage bin by the community.
7. A Certain Scientific Railgun T ; I don't really remember much, but I remember enjoying it?
8. Monster Girl Doctor ; Very inoffensive.
9. BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense ; I haven't finished this because the dub at the time stopped and I wanna keep watching it that way.
10. Interspecies Reviewers ; Too bad it's not hentai. In another timeline. Isekai me.

Honorable Mention
x. Princess Connect! Re:Dive! ; I don't play the game but the MC sucks so it's good that everyone else in the cast carries. This is KonoSuba-lite and I love that joint.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to watch Eizouken in time for the deadline since it's on a lot of top lists here and online
Just realized Eizouken is not a person
🤦‍♀️ 🤦‍♂️
I feel like a baka gaijin

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Only around 12 people voted, we need more :x Maybe these current lists will help others check out some to fill out their own lists, in the next few weeks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
1. Beastars: Pushing the way 3D can be implemented in tv animation, while also dabbling in other mediums such as stop motion and a sequence done entirely on pages of paper. The Voice Acting being recorded prior to animation being based on said performances with the actors together theatre style gives it a more cohesive presentation, making the weird animal people feel more human than most other anime.

2. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken: Animation as a medium was always my favourite way to tell a story, and this is a story about anime production adapted by Masaaki Yuasa which is kind of an inspired pick for direction.

3. Dorohedoro: This show is weird, unique and SHOCKING.

4. Aggretsuko S3: Maybe the best season for me, completely unexpected (and kinda heavy) direction without losing its heart and sense of humor.

5. BNA: This ones more of a mixed bag, but that baseball episode might be my favourite episode of any anime that year.

4 of these 5 shows featuring people with animal heads, 2 of them being CGI heavy and most of them Netflix shows. Anime has changed.
Still going through Great Pretender, but that might be another one.

Last edited:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Its unsurprising because 2020 was such a shit show but I don't think I could recommend 10 shows. I watched a lot more than 10 but I found most of them to be pretty meh.

1. Osomatsu-san Season 3: This came out of no-where for me I didn't even know it was getting a third season. I just saw it when I was scrolling through crunchyroll's recent simulcasts. If suffers due to the ongoing AI/robot bits but almost all the other bits have been great. I haven't laughed so much at a anime all year.
  2. Chihayafuru S3: I wasn't ever expecting to see another season of this so it was a pleasant surprise but it didn't grab me like the other seasons.
  3. Jujutsu Kaisen: Its a decent stereotypical fighty shonen show, but it doesnt have an annoying yelly guy like Demon Slayer and the monsters are sometimes pretty gross.
  4. Aggretsuko: Better than season 2.
  5. Kabukicho Sherlock: Not the best but its a weird mishmash, Rakugo, Crime, Comedy I was never bored.

Only 5, yes I watched a hell of a lot more than than but I just cant bring myself to care about them or recommend them, shows like The Great Pretender, Dorohedoro, and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken, didnt really make me feel much of anything.

I was going to put With a Dog And A Cat Every Day Is Fun because they were also fucking funny and Tomokazu Sugita is a delight as the cat, but the damn episodes are about three minutes long.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
TV Anime:
1. Asteroid in Love: Very nice show about girls learning about astronomy and geology. Beautiful animation and a nice romance.
2. Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater: This had enough nice moments that I really enjoyed it and fishing is just cool to learn about.
3. Iwa Kakeru!: Sport Climbing Girls: A good sports anime that made me want to try climbing again.
4. Adachi and Shimamura: Adorable awkward romance.
5. Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club: Probably the prettiest Love Live series yet and some good characters, I really hope it gets another season.
6. Chihayafuru S3: One of the best sports anime I've seen and I guess it counts for last year still so I have to put it on here.
7. Smile Down the Runway: Never thought I would like a shounen series but having one be about modeling is definitely unique and it worked pretty well.
8. BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense: Cute series that you watch just to see how Maple will break the game next.
9. Warlords of Sigrdrifa: A show I didn't expect to like but it was just so cheesy and over the top that I ended up liking it.
10. Lapis Re:Lights: Definitely a mobile game anime but it was pretty fun despite all the usual tropes.

Movies/OVAs:
1. Fragtime: A well handled adaptation of an interesting concept and a good romance story.
2. Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise: A Brand New Day: A good addition to the series that I just wish had a little bit more time to breath.
3. A Whisker Away: Not perfect but I liked the main character and it was mostly fun to watch.

Hidden Gems:
1. Asteroid in Love: Some of the year's most impressive character animation with fantastic storyboards and a lovely main couple.
2. Adachi and Shimamura: Very well written romance with endearing offbeat characters.
3. Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater: A bright spot in a year that didn't have a lot of iyashikei otherwise.

Last edited:

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
1. Wave, Listen to me!: It's for me along the lines of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and The Great Passage in some ways. They certainly feel like expertly-handled passion projects that feature great character studies and extremely detailed focus on certain crafts, that grip me even if it would seem mundane on paper. Great opening and fan-fucking-tastic ED that I've watched way too many times.
2. Kaguya-sama - Love is War - S2: It just keeps getting better.

Uhm, probably more to come?

Dunno, I rather have some I'd put at the lower end. Like Haikyuu T³, Beastars and maybe SnK S4. But no power gab allowed, so Imma have to do some thinking.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - The joy of animation is represented brilliantly in one of Yuasa's best works.
  2. Kaguya: Love is War Season 2 - I cry-laughed at the balloon scene.
  3. Fruits Basket Second Season - Feeeeels.
  4. Chihayafuru 3 - I love my stupid karuta kids.
  5. Dorohedoro - I would like Noi to step on me.
  6. Great Pretender - I would like Abby to step on me.
  7. Akudama Drive - Surprisingly topical series!
  8. Deca-Dence - Still think about the second episode turn.
  9. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - Somehow makes one joke work for 12 episodes.
  10. Appare Ranman! - Probably the closest we'll get to a Steel Ball Run anime.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
1. Dorohedoro - This shit was CRAY. More plx
2. Japan Sinks 2020 - I found this series to be enthralling, despite a couple of odd detours. I was surprised by the mostly negative reaction to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.