• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
OZSqmUP.png

Remember to vote in the Anime of the Decade Thread.
Voting for AOTD will End on June 30th (Yes, right now it doesn't say that. The due date is getting pushed back, the thread title will be modified to reflect that)

Anime of the Decade Voting Thread

TV Series

1) Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
342 Points, 50 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.84
Where to Watch It: Crunchyroll, VRV, Funimation and Hulu
Zq2Zy7d.jpg
Baka_Bishie said:
Speaking of slow starts, I won't lie that I was worried early on in Kaguya-sama that the manga which had been hyped to hell and back was going to land with a resounding thud despite being overseen by Mamoru Hatakeyama. However, despite working their way through adapting the somewhat awkward start of the manga, by about a third of the way through, Hatakeyama and company seemed to find that special something about Kaguya-sama that has lead the manga to become such a staple for so many of my friends. Leveraging his expertise in horror, action, and drama to enhance the comedic idiocy of this group of numbskulls, Kaguya-sama often feels like it transcends its roots and becomes something greater than its parts; growing from a gag show with a simplistic gimmick into a genuinely heartfelt coming-of-age story about outsiders finding both themselves and love in the most ridiculous ways. I can't help but be reminded of a similar trick in Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, something that Kaguya-sama feels it pulls some amount of inspiration from in its style of adaptation. I'm glad this won't be the last we see of Hatakeyama and team's take on Kaguya-sama, as I feel the next season might outshine the first given how much the manga itself improves over time.

Pellaidh said:
Kaguya-sama finds itself in a somewhat similar situation to the above: If Mob Psycho is my favorite show, then Kaguya-sama is my favorite manga. It is at the same time incredibly funny while also being an actually touching and well told romance story that manages to subvert pretty much all of the genre's annoying tropes. To say actual good romance writing is rare in rom-com mangas would be a massive understatement, but Kaguya managed to do it somehow.

And like with Mob, I was doubtful when an anime adaptation was announced. Except much more so, because there was really no reason to beleive that the anime team could possibly do the source material justice.

And like with Mob Psycho, my worries turned out to be meaningless. Kaguya-sama is an absolutely incredible adaptation of the best rom-com manga out there. Unlike most soulless manga adaptations we have to suffer through, the team behind Kaguya somehow managed to take an already incredible source material and somehow make it even better, while at the same time playing to the strengths of the medium they were working on. Chiefly, the voice acting is absolutely incredible, and adds a ton to the overall experience, but smart visual and directing choices also help elevate the comedy.

The only real flaw with the show is that it's only 13 episodes long, which barely covers the introductory chapters of the manga. But with a second season already announced and more to hopefully follow, this shouldn't be a problem for too much longer.

Demoli said:
A fantastic adaptation of one of the best romcoms around, it does everything right: Amazing animation and framing, great characters, believable relationships, great interactions, fantastic music and one of the best climaxes in any series. Top notch voice work too, casting Dio as Shirogane's father was an oh shit moment and it works so well.

2) Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
287 Points, 40 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 7.18
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV and Funimation
UyWjGg1.jpg
janoGx said:
I remember at the start of 2019 I said "this is the AOTY", and I stand by that. Bones did a masterpiece that with time it will only rise on MAL, perfect animation, perfect adaptation, characters that makes you care about them, legendary arcs that last 2-3 episodes, I'm still waiting for that S3 Bones, just release it, we know the manga is over, finish the job and make the season trilogy legendary.

Shard Shinjuku said:
When looking over the past year in anime it is striking just how good the actual animation has been at the television level and Mob Psycho 100 was on of the titles that led the way. Indeed, there we be others on this list that we inducted into this top 10 for that reason but Mob Psycho 100 gets the edge because of sheer creativity as MP100 here works on the Jojo principle of not being constrained by muscles or swords and up the game from Season 1 by a substantial margin. Couldn't go the full monty on this given the pacing issues and more egregiously descending into more traditional battle shonen strata without having the emotional chops to back things.

Eridani said:
A fantastic followup, surpassing the already-incredible Season 1 in pretty much every aspect. Mob Psycho Season 2 features some of the best animation of the decade, as well as a couple of really well-directed and inventively-choreographed fight scenes. It also manages to build on the great characters from Season 1. Mob's journey of self-improvement is genuinely touching in a way I've never really seen in anime and it's the more quiet, character-focused moments that really make the show shine.

3) Vinland Saga
284 Points, 42 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.76
Where to Watch it: Amazon Prime
mpqrtE8.jpg
SolarPowered said:
Gritty, bloody and depressingly beatiful nonetheless. Another adaptation of a famous manga people have been waiting for. Vinland Saga doesn't disappoint with it's great soundtrack, smooth animation, over the top memorable characters, well paced character development, exciting battles and realistic depiction of the chaotic Viking lifestyle. Definitely another show that isn't made for the faint of heart with all the slavery, blood and maiming. It even finished on one of the greatest final episodes that will blow your socks off and it even aired in the final week of the decade to boot. This must be the anime equivalent of what it feels like to reach the summit of a great mountain or step on land after crossing a vast ocean. What an epic.

Dimb said:
Unique in its ability to effectively depict fictionalized history in the space. Even with twenty-something episodes what's here feels very much like the small lead-in to something larger. This slightly undermines the minute to minute actions, but the ending arrived at justifies the path it took.

Narag said:
A surprise that started out good and ended great. I was always told this would never get an adaptation and then I was told it probably wouldn't be that good given the studio but wrong on both counts.

4) Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
235 Points, 30 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 7.83
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV, Funimation and Hulu
4pkKfjp.jpg
Htown said:
This somehow managed to deliver on all of the promise the series had shown up to this point. The Battle of Shiganshina had me rooted to the edge of my seat from start to finish, and then the show also gave us intriguing answers to the questions that had been simmering in the background of the show since the first episode.

Munchie64 said:
In my mind: one word can sum up Attack on Titan Season 3: Culmination. Of characters, of conflicts and of mysteries that have been set up since the very beginning. But closing the book isn't enough for this show, it also opens the world in a bigger way than ever before.

SolarPowered said:
A spectacular continuation for a series that started off well and has only gotten better with time. Lots of consequential events, fantastic fights and crazy developments that flip everything we've come to know about the series right on it's head.

5) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
197 Points, 32 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.16
JlkGxcP.jpg
Pitou said:
Not going to lie...I knew nothing about this series since im still kinda new to manga/anime and when I saw the title of this show I figured it was going to be some boring seasonal shonen trash but man I was wrong. Ufotable are gods! amazing production values with so many best boys its really hard to pick a favorite. Tanjiro & Nezuko are so damn cute and Zenitsu and Inosuke are both hilarious. Pretty standard story but still very enjoyable due to the chemistry of the characters and the VA's also do an amazing job here. Really well done emotional moments and episode 19 will be a favorite of mine for a while!.

Admiral Woofington said:
When I first saw the art style and the setting in trailers early on I wasn't particularly interested. But knowing it was Ufotable and seeing positive impressions of the manga I gave it a shot and yeah I absolutely love this and between the anime and manga it has jumped up to one of my favorite shonen actions ever. Episode 19 by itself is a goosebumps spectacle that left me on the verge of tears during that one particular sequence. Ufotable knocked it out of the park.

Eldy said:
I don't watch as much action or shounen anime as I used to, and didn't vote for anything in either of those categories last year, so I was pleasantly surprised that 2019 turned out to be a bumper year for both, dominating my top three. Demon Slayer reunites studio Ufotable and composer Yuki Kajiura, who have done great work together on Nasuverse adaptations, to put together one of the best-looking and best-sounding anime of the year. There's only so much I can say about that—you just have to see the fights and listen to the soundtrack yourself—but of particular note is Ufotable's continued mastery of blending hand-drawn and CG animation. The story is not particularly complicated thus far but Tanjiro is a great protagonist, Nezuko is adorable (even if she behaves more like a cat than a person), and the show executes all the standard shounen battle tropes really well (even the ones I personally find a little grating). I wouldn't argue with anyone who ranked this even higher.

6) Beastars
188 Points, 24 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 7.83
Where to Watch it: Netflix (March)
SrJOQZS.jpg
djinn said:
Beastars has a few things going against it. Firstly, it's in Netflix jail, meaning if you want to see it now you'll have to find alternative sources. Secondly, it's CG, kind of a dirty word among anime fans. And finally - that elephant in the room - it's "furry bait". While that idea was never going to be prevented, Beastars does a lot to prove that it's more than just furry high school anime. There are some great themes explored, specifically gender, class and race distinction. No one is a "good" or "bad" person, they're just people. Characters like Louis, the handsome and famous buck, have a multitude of layers that play with and against your expectations. Often you'll find you don't know how to react to either a character or a situation on screen because Beastars pushes a lot of boundaries not commonly depicted in anime. But it's not all shock and awe. Beastars happens to be pretty funny and backed up by CG animation of high quality. Visual gags are aplenty and I oftentimes found myself going back to watch the minute details of a character waving their arms or wagging their tail because the animators did such a good job. Beastars is worth the time and effort, worth getting over that "furry bait" barrier. The patient viewer is rewarded with one of the finest anime of the year.

Larsa said:
Even coming of the fantastic Land of the Lustrous I was a bit sceptical for the first few episodes, but Studio Orange proved once again that hey that CG thing doesn't actually have to look like garbage. It's also a really fun pastiche of a story too with some surprisingly excellent voice acting.

dimb said:
Spirited and unflinching in its creative choices, the tension of the story quiets questions about specifics of the odd social structure at play here.

7) Sarazanmai
175 Points, 29 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.03
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV and Funimation
caCYUh9.jpg
SoildSnakeBoy said:
it's rare to have an anime that has something to say about the mere act of living and do so in a way that can stir something within us. Sarazanmai seeks to ask us to evaluate how we connect with others, where we fail in doing so, when we should stop, and where we should begin. It's a masterful exercise in visual cues to maximize impact. No other show this year comes close to pushing the envelope of LGBTQ+ representation, the second to last episode serving as a massive fuck you to those that would seek to censor queer relationships in media. The show shows us the pain of connecting but never gives up on the idea of doing so, in the inherent humanity if doing so. It's practically tied with Run With the Wind for me this year.

Bigkrev said:
Just a wonderful intersection of weird, warmth, and homosexuality. Shout-out Enta for being the most realistic portrayal of a 14 year old boy who realizes he's in love with his best friend, the entire voice cast for being willing to sing their hearts out, and to The Peggies, who provided the "Stand By Me" ED song that, along with the visuals, has me wanting to book a ticket to Japan to just wander around the streets at 3AM by myself.
Also, I can't remember ever seeing a 14 year old in a somewhat realistic/modern version of Tokyo selling weed before. Something new!

Spectrum said:
Love all the weird imagery in Ikuhara's shows. The only show last year that really had me looking forward for the next episode every week.

8) The Promised Neverland
149 Points, 25 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 5.96
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV, Funimation, Hulu and HIDIVE
VgPn00j.jpg
Eldy said:
I knew the basic premise of The Promised Neverland from having heard about the manga, so there wasn't a first episode twist for me. By the end of episode two, however, I was more excited to see what came next than with any new series since Erased. While both have mystery elements, Neverland is more of a thriller and less of a psychological drama than Erased, but it nonetheless has a very strong cast of memorable and engaging characters, especially the main trio. Its pacing and sense of pathos are both top-notch, it boasts excellent animation as well as one of the year's best soundtracks—basically, anything this kind of anime can do well is done superbly. (That said, I won't try to defend it against the criticisms people make regarding Sister Krone.) I don't know enough about the manga to have a clear sense where season two is heading, but on its own merits the ending of season one was practically perfect. TPN was the first series I finished this year, and while I think 2019 turned out to be a pretty good year for quality anime, there was never any doubt in my mind that this would take first place on my list.

lightning16 said:
Very gripping thriller. This show had me on the edge of my seat so often, and that's really what I'm in for when it comes to thrillers. Throw in a very strong cast, a unique presentation style, and getting me invested to genuinely really want to know where the story goes from here, and you have a winner. Can't wait for season 2 this year.

Shard Shinjuku said:
We are living in most interesting time when it comes to the premiere label in shonen series, Weekly Shonen Jump, as we have watched the completion and/or depending on the point of view collapse of 2/3 of The Big Three that dominated manga and anime for a good chunk of time. Couple onto that the ending of some other popular series like Assassination Classroom and Nisekoi and we have entered a time when a new generation is rising and taken WSJ in curious and bold new directions and The Promised Neverland is one of those titles leading the way. Indeed instead of the typical battle shonen, with the typical shonen tropes and emotions lies a much subtler psychological horror and prison escape title in this first season. Well, for the most part as shonen flavorings do crop up like Emma wanting to save everybody and the hatchet job done to Sister Krone. Still, this is an overall fantastic season that can also stand alone should Season 2 go downhill.

9) Carole and Tuesday
111 Points, 16 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.94
Where to Watch it: Netflix
MPT0no1.jpg
Nocturnowl said:
Watanabe heard your cries, more MARS and MUSIC....just not in the Bebop way.
So here's ultimately a feel good show about two girls from completely different backgrounds making music together, spoilers: they make some cracking tunes
Carole & Tuesday tries to fit a lot in, not every story beat introduced gets time to fully breathe, despite this I enjoyed just how many pools the show dipped its toes into.
I expected the highs and lows of the music industry, I didn't expect the exploration of AI ,or the surface level politics that don't exactly hide what side of things they're calling out and suicide ideation as Netflix puts it.
The leading duo make some pleasing easy listening music (I also like how it contrasts to the shows other rising star in style despite the through line of pop music), it's a treat every time they break out the guitar and keyboard.
Uplifting and ending on a strong note, I doubt its legacy will go down as strongly as previous Watanabe directed work, but for me this is the best since Champloo.

Kuro said:
A beautiful futuristic show about two budding musicians directed by Shinichiro Watanabe the master. While it had a very strong first half, with plenty of cute and hilarious moments, the second half was a little bit messier with its plot but still delivered on fantastic music and a wonderful relationship between the two leads. The use of real-world brands and references to pop culture were fun and unique as well. I think its a prime example of accessible anime that anyone can enjoy and should always be on your recommendation list. If you ever needed an anime to cheer you up, this is the one. The soundtrack is still stuck in my head.

FreedomJirachi said:
music is this anime's strongest point. I still listen to almost all of the songs from this show on my spotify playlist up to this day. In my opinion, they are very well-written for their characters and for the story. The melodies are very catchy and also emotional that really carried the show til the end, which is probably one of the best episodes when everyone gathered for that one final song, the build-up to that really did it for me, and the song is one of the best, too.

10) Run with the Wind
98 Points, 14 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 7.00
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV and HIDIVE
tkPDSM1.jpg
SoildSnakeBoy said:
This show has changed me as a person. Where most sports anime try to inspire through growth in search for an ultimate victory, facing ever growing challenges, Run With the Wind seeks to ask us to dig within ourselves for that inspiration. The diverse cast are but archetypes that anyone can relate to and act as mirrors to the watcher.Why would anyone go through so much? Struggle so hard, kowing that in the end victory is not possible? By the end, each character has to answer that for themselves, like running, a solitary decision, but one that can be influenced by those who believe in the you that could be. "Do you like to run?" If the answer is no, then ask yourself why, and realize that there's no excuse. Replace liking to run with anything and that is the message the show seeks to stir within us. I have not missed a single day of running since the show aired, I don't plan on stopping. If there's something in your life that you keep running away from, give this show a watch it will probably make you stop and then you can start sprinting in the other direction.

Chase said:
Great cast of well rounded characters that undergo compelling development as they unify as a team to compete in a marathon. Show builds off itself incredibly well, leading to a final stretch of episodes that are emotional and an absolute joy.

effingvic said:
An incredibly inspirational series full of deep and well developed characters and outstanding audio and visuals. Lots of emotional moments that never felt manipulative. Prepare to go running and also cry a lot. Production I.G. crushed it yet again.

11) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
97 Points, 16 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.06
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll, VRV and TubiTV
7oVDJmu.jpg
Baka_Bishie said:
What a ride Golden Wind has been! This time last year, I was still a bit concerned that this arc of JoJo wasn't going to pull itself together after a stretch of good but not exceptional content, but it was shortly after last year's list that Golden Wind finally began to find its footing and proved that David Production had learned to make a much more inherently engaging version of Stardust Crusaders, even if the material didn't always rise to the level of the production in that regard. I don't think that any discussion of Golden Wind can be complete without mentioning that unlike Diamond Is Unbreakable, Golden Wind never had its quality drop too drastically, and considering the level of detail in the character designs, that feels like nothing short of a miracle. And while this part's core narrative was very hit or miss, the individual fights that made up the bulk of Golden Wind's middle arc contained some of the best sequences I can recall from JoJo to date. While perhaps not as cohesive or resonant as Diamond Is Unbreakable, Golden Wind is a production tour-de-force showcasing just how much David Production has grown, all while showcasing some of Araki's most creative exploration of the Stand concept so far in some truly classic sequences.

Nocturnowl said:
I already miss JoJo Fridays, where we'd all gather round to witness unprecedented amounts of "NAAANIII?!" and Standoh Powah.
And this was supposed to be the B team of David Production right? well hot damn they sure weren't showing it, much like the previous part 4, this is such a lovingly detailed adaptation of the source that goes above and beyond to nail that very distinct vibe the series has.
Effectively offering more of the same in the best possible ways, more top tier openings, more ridonkulous stand abilities, more creative scenarios for best mom Bruno and friends to tackle with nary a moment where it lets up.

An important outing for western JoJo fandom after a lack of any good manga translations alongside the increasing confusion of following this madness on paper had apparently left Part 5 with a rather tepid response over here. This anime basically reversed that and now it seems people are all about Gangstars, STIIIICKY FIIINGAAARS and actually understanding how King Crimson works...sort of.

Demoli said:
Featuring in my top 10 2 years in a row, Jojo part 5 adaptation elevates the source material unlike any other part so far. You could tell everyone in the staff loved this part, and it shows. Fantastic colors, music, and some of the best shonen battles are given life in this adpatation when they felt absurdly confusing in the original serialisation. It is the ideal way to experience this part. Now bring on Stone Ocean.
12) The Demon Girl Next Door
85 Points, 12 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 7.08
Where to Watch it: VRV and HIDIVE
0mlVRWK.jpg
sinonobu said:
GOSENZO!!! My blood sugar level is dangerous after watching this show..

effingvic said:
A hilarious and adorable magical girl series with great plot and excellent lore. I came for Doga Kobo like CGDCT shenanigans, and came away with a surprisingly sweet story of a demon girl helping a retired magical girl overcome her PTSD. The manga is excellent too. Do your best Shamiko! Be a demon girl that gets a second season!

Larsa said:
Don't give up Shamiko, become the best magical girl show of the year with the best couple of the year and funniest voice acting of the year. And also the kindest and strongest girl in the world.

13) How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift?
72 Points, 14 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 5.14
Where to Watch it: Funimation
tT3Sg7w.jpg
MetroidPrimeRib said:
Sometimes you get that smut that is very high quality, and typically those are the best shows. This is a great argument to that.

Andrew J said:
Exercise edutainment married to a goofy gag show, full of charming characters you want to see succeed in their workout goals. Is moderately less horny than you probably think it is.

Qurupeke said:
OP of the year probably. Very entertaining and surprisingly educational, with a very fun cast.

14) Fruit Baskets (2019)
68 Points, 11 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.18
r8OtdZe.jpg
djinn said:
There's been talk recently about nostalgia in media and how weaponised it can become. Fruits Basket certainly feels nostalgic at times; the slow-dance OP, the old-school character designs, slapstick and general 'feel'. It's certainly to be expected from a series that's at least 20 years old (manga-wise). But what's fresh as ever is that raw depiction of grief and trauma Furuba was always known for (so much so it has the moniker, Feels Basket). Furuba is an examination on love, loss and death in all their aspects. It drips with melancholy and heartache, holding back just enough throughout its first season to show that when it's good and ready, it has the power to utterly devastate with its finale. From the distant smile of our heroine as others talk about her recently deceased mother, to the joy of friendship expressed through cupcakes, Furuba is all about the slow burn, inching up that heat. Before you know it, it drops a bomb of emotions on you. But it's never one to leave you too hurt. At the end of the day, Furuba always shows how you can cope with the worst of situations, with a little love and kindness going a long way.

Pitou said:
The 2019 adaptation was my first exposure to the Fruits Basket series and I honestly loved everything about it. Tohru is such an amazing character and I love that early 2000's feel that the show gives off. Very touching show that always had me laughing or crying and it even deals with some darker themes that I can't wait to see more of in the sequel! Dub is also fantastic!

zulux21 said:
Part of me doesn't want to put a series that is basically just a remake of a classic above some other shows from 2019, the other part of me is like... THEY NAILED IT so screw it. If you want a classic shoujo series this is it, go watch it right now.

15) Symphogear XV
62 Points, 9 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 6.89
Where to Watch it: Crunchyroll and VRV
O85dD2m.jpg
MetroidPrimeRib said:
Symphogear as a series has always been "good" in that it has always been fun to watch while narrative and animation quality flummoxed about. In the fifth and final(?) season, Symphogear manages to strike the perfect balance for shows of this nature - well animated, extremely fulfilling to long time fans, some of the best cliffhangers of all time. The only real issue is they still won't commit to a fully lesbian ending and seal it with a kiss, even though everyone knows and there is no alternative.

Jarmel said:
Quite possibly the best season and a high note for the franchise to go out on.

Bob_Coffee said:
There is no higher amount of praise I can give of this series, as its final season reminds me both of why I am a fan of this show and why I still continue to watch anime at my age. But Symphogear is ostensibly not a show I would recommend to someone who is not familiar with anime as a genre as I would describe it in one way is some of the most anime ass anime there is. The other way I tend to describe symphogear to folks is; its pure anime bullshit distilled into its purest form, with a fantastic soundtrack well thought out plot and is just pure entertainment. But what the fifth and final season of symphogear does and does so in a way that most long running shows wish they can do is not only make something that's entertaining on its own merits but also is a celebration of the show as a whole. With every episode so crazy that it would be a season finale in any other show not named symphogear. With character returns that are foreshadowed and don't feel like total asspulls. With amazing animation each episode and that's just for the tv airing, not counting what will be no doubt cleaned up on the bluray release. And its seiyuu singing there hearts out even more with some of the best anison outside of Love Live! The passion put in to this show by both the staff and seiyuu is felt throughout the 13 episode run. And on top of that the show its its 5 season run with a near perfect ending nearly resolving every single plot point except for one. DESS/10

The Rest of the Votes can be found on the spreadsheet linked here.

Anime Movies/OVAs

1) Promare
55 Points, 13 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 4.23
XNuyoFM.jpg
lazybones18 said:
Studio TRIGGER must have gotten tired of saving anime on TV and decided to save anime movies (I'm quite sure that joke has beaten to death multiple times over). With the help of director Imaishi and Sawano providing the music, you have a near perfect movie with some of the best animation you'll see on the big screen.

Andrew J said:
Very much a Trigger's greatest hits, but if that's something you're into you'll really be into it.

Awful Falafel said:
What if Fire Force, but good?

2) Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel – II. Lost Butterfly
36 Points, 9 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 4.00
ccTNK0T.jpg
Kuro said:
The only Anime film from this year that I have watched and easily good enough to be put on a list like this. The continuation of the longest and darkest route of the famous visual novel that has spawned many a spin-off. Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack is always amazing. I personally am not the biggest fan of this route but Ufotable has produced some insane visuals with this one and Sakura's struggles and Shirou's corruption, so to speak, make this a worthwhile watch.

Eldy said:
At the midway point of the adaptation of the third story route of the original Fate/stay night visual novel, I assume most people will know if they're interested by the time they get this far. For my part, I think the Heaven's Feel movies are limited by their source material in the same way as Ufotable's adaptation of Unlimited Blade Works, but they are nonetheless something I look forward to. That's largely down to the exceptional animation and soundtrack (this is, after all, the second Ufotable/Yuki Kajiura collaboration on my ballot), but I do care about the story, albeit as something of a guilty pleasure. It's great to see Sakura finally get her time in the limelight. With all due respect to Dororo, Carole & Tuesday, and others, I also have to give Lost Butterfly props for featuring what is easily my favorite ending theme of the year.

Qurupeke said:
Such a great movie, Sakura's scenes were so good.

3) Weathering With You
33 Points, 9 Votes, Average Points Per Vote 3.67

Zej5oj4.jpg
Ailyo said:
Does get a bit silly near the end, but still really sweet and nice

Munchie64 said:
Makoto Shinkai's best film, tackling down to earth themes with his massive scope.

Jexhius said:
Some long quote explaing the craftsmanship of the direction of the movie and animation to be placed here. Jex is currently on a long vaction so he DMed his votes, Weathering was his 1st place vote for movies.

Additional Resources:
Original Voting Thread
Google Doc With Full Results
2018 AOTY Result Thread
2017 AOTY Result Thread

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya at 1 is surprising. Thought for sure Mob Psycho would have it. Guess it was in a lot of top 10s even if it didn't have the highest average rating.

Beastars should be higher

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Mob away from the first spot and Jojo kept away from top 10 ? Good job folks.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the work putting this together!

Looking forward to finally watching Beastars in a couple weeks.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Was waiting for this, these anime of the year threads are basically gonna be the shows I watch because I don't keep up with seasons.

Gonna go watch kaguya.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly updated the OP for those that use this list as a means to figure out what anime to watch. Included US Streaming Services for the top 15, licsenses could expire, could be bought by someone else, this listing is good as of right now and only right now.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Thanks as always for keeping track of all this and for the snazzy banner images. :)

This was (to the best of my knowledge) the 10th year of the AOTY poll, including its origins on the old forum. Its been a helpful guide to me when looking for interesting shows since I started following with the 2012 poll, though this is only the second year I've watched enough in time to feel it was worth voting. On the off chance anyone else is interested in obscure forum history, here are the winners from each year:

Series
2010: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
2011: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2012: Hyouka
2013: Space Battleship Yamato 2199
2014: Ping Pong the Animation
2015: One-Punch Man
2016: Mob Psycho 100
2017: Land of the Lustrous
2018: A Place Further Than the Universe
2019: Kaguya-sama: Love Is War

Movies
2010: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
2011: Redline
2012: K-On! The Movie
2013: Wolf Children
2014: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
2015: Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade
2016: Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu
2017: Your Name
2018: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms
2019: Promare

There should probably be an asterisk attached to 2010, since Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was not eligible under the rules then in place (a few people tried to vote for it anyway). Top tens for each year and links to all the results threads can be found in the Pastebin below.

pastebin.com

ResetEra AOTY History - Pastebin.com

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still salty about Madoka winning over Steins;Gate, Nichijou, Chihayafuru S1, Fate/Zero, and HxH.

Mob S1 winning 2016 is an even bigger joke lol.

edit: Also, 2011 was absolutely insane. Probably one of the greatest years for anime ever.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
While I think the animes in that top 10 are all incredible, the ordering of them just makes me sad, Promised Neverland, Sarazanmai, RWTW deserved to be higher. Also....Kaguya Sama is funny, but like #1? Nah.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
While I think the animes in that top 10 are all incredible, the ordering of them just makes me sad, Promised Neverland, Sarazanmai, RWTW deserved to be higher. Also....Kaguya Sama is funny, but like #1? Nah.

if you account for popularity, this is a pretty solid result tbh - kaguya-sama was way more watched than both run with the wind and sarazanmai (which is still a shame! but I'm happy they got on there at all)

beastars I'm sure would have been higher if it hadn't gotten netflix'd, which is a huge shame

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
if you account for popularity, this is a pretty solid result tbh - kaguya-sama was way more watched than both run with the wind and sarazanmai (which is still a shame! but I'm happy they got on there at all)

Yeah, no I realize popular stuff will always win by volume, I just think it's a shame. This list is still better than most.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Too late now but Vinland Saga by a country mile, I still think of RWTW as predominantly a 2018 show but it's right up there with Haikyuu! as far as great sports anime goes.
Demon Slayer is glossy but lacking any real substance much preferred Dororo for my supernatural feudal Japan fix.
Each to their own though.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to vote, but fairly agreeable results. I probably would have had O Maidens and Dr. Stone higher.
Well Promised Neverland was seen as a not great adaption from what I gathered, even though I enjoyed the show, so I would assume that a lot of people either didn't really like it, or didn't bother watching based on those impressions.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your serial shounens, generic isekais and furry coming-of-age stories couldn't beat out a Failure of a Rom-Com?

littlehowcutephkaf.gif

For real though, congrats on all the high placers.

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people who voted is a bit low for this to be convincing imo. still, congrats to the winners! I wish Run with the Wind could get more recognition, it's my favorite of the year.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I forgot to vote, but fairly agreeable results. I probably would have had O Maidens and Dr. Stone higher.

Well Promised Neverland was seen as a not great adaption from what I gathered, even though I enjoyed the show, so I would assume that a lot of people either didn't really like it, or didn't bother watching based on those impressions.

It's a shame because it's a fantastic show with excellent direction and atmosphere. It also has one of the best and grayest antagonists.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Beastars would have won if it wasn't in Netflix jail.
Well Beastars is allowed to be voted on again 2020 due to the Netflix fuckery....and if S2 is in Fall season again, that means it will have Netflix jail issues again, thus it be allowed to be voted on again in 2021. So 2019-2021 will have Beastars results being messed up due to Netflix Jail.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It's only now occuring to me I voted for Weathering With You for 2019 when I actually watched it in 2020. Oops.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Can't say I agree with a lot of this. Carole and Tuesday way too low. As far as movies I also liked Weathering With You a bit more than Promare; I thought a lot of the worldbuilding in Promare was rushed due to it being a movie instead of a show. I also thought Kaguya-Sama was like....decent I guess but pretty unspecial.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Promare's the most excited I've been in regards to an original anime film in quite a while. Triggers best work easily.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AnimeERA has good taste. Top 5 are interchangable for me so I don't mind them being anywhere. All of those series were super great.
Seeing Sarazanmai in the list is great. JoJo being that low is a crime to humanity but I let it fly.
Promare movie being 1 is also correct.

You've done good AnimeERA