• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of bizarre for an enthusiast forum - I agree. I never thought of it as such a big deal what perspective a game uses until I came here. I prefer to engage games on their own terms. A lot of money goes into these things and choices are made for reasons, which I find interesting to explore. That said, camera perspective is usually one of the most surface level and least interesting of those choices.

I wonder how many who "third-person or bust" own sword collections.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my childhood was spent playing games like Doom, Heretic, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. First person is almost always more precise and immersive for certain kinds of games. Obviously with highly spectacular movesets like in Bayonetta, third person makes a lot more sense, but in general I really like first person. May be an unpopular opinion but I legit think that games like Gears Of War or Uncharted would be better in first person.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
all perspectives are cool by me. decrying a game because of it's POV is ridiculous to me, it really bummed me out that so many people wrote off RE7 because of it

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's a personal preference.

I could play first person view games if I really want to.

But most of the time, no.

That's why I passed on Cyberpunk & RE7.

And if by chance, the next Naughty Dog game is a first person view exclusive, consider me out; no matter how good the game would be.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
My issue is that most fp games have poor mobility.

I much preferred the tp seconds in destiny to the fp.

I usually avoid first person games unless they're vr

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Except for VR, I'll almost always prefer a third person perspective. Character design is often an important reason I chose a game, so I'll want to see it as much as possible. It's also how you get to see your characters animation, not just some floating hands or feet from time to time.
Game's genre will impact that expectation obviously, a genre where I expect to see character customisation ( cloth/armor & weapon ) give me even more reason to want to play it in third person perspective.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's quite common to not like FP games. You just get a worse understanding of your surroundings (compare watching a football game from above, versus being one of the players; it's really hard to get the big picture), and for many, it's important to see your character, to connect with something.

I get the advantage though; immersion and easier to aim your weapon.

Personally I don't like it, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the Portal games and Metroid Prime. Other than that, I mostly avoid the perspective.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I like both depending on the game obviously. I will say that if a story is character driven it can be nice to see them, there movements, and the little nuances. Animation has progressed so much that see a 3rd person character navigating the world can be a treat these days.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It totally depends on the game, i can't really picture a game like Resident Evil 7 in 3rd person for example.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I don't understand why Era doesn't think RE7 or Portal are FPS. Theres shooting. You shoot things. Maybe not always bullets. But shooting. With a gun. Maybe not shooting all the time. But you shoot things, in first person. Dress up portal as a First Puzzle Shooter if it irks you so much.

Besides things can be a combination of two genres dudes.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I just feel like I have a higher sense of control of my character when I'm in TP. Like if I want to jump/dodge and stuff. Easier to know what hit you and how to avoid it if you actually see the character imo. That said, I don't shy away from FP games, but they usually have to have other aspects that I like, aside from being a pure FPS, if I'm to play them for very long.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I like both in very different ways and would hate it if all games were one way or the other.

Many of my favourite first person games would have been shit in third person, and vice versa.

They're basically different genres as much as they're different viewpoints.

I'm disappointed in Sony's reluctance to invest in first person games these days, Killzone was shit but I loved Resistance: FoM.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I like to play in FPS games. but I can only play it for 10-15 minutes max. longer than that, my head will get dizzy.
probably I'm the minority that got a motion sickness symptom from playing FPS games.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I won't refuse to play a game just because it is First Person, but I vastly prefer Third Person, especially in shooters.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
1st person just isn't more immersive to me. Instead of being immersed in a world and controlling a character, I just feel like I'm moving a camera in 1st person, especially if the character model isn't rendered. Games like Overwatch do it well however.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it's a shooter, 99% of the time it's better in first person, IMO. I thought forever Resident Evil was the exception until RE7.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like first person because I have no notion of space, so I don't always know if I'm about to fall off a cliff, for example.
I also find animation of my character in first person weird.

However, I can't really see myself playing in VR something that it's not first person.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No idea why but I've never been a first person fan. I'll play the likes of COD, Bioshock and Halo but none of them are among my favourite games.

My favourite MP games this gen are Gears 4, Ghost Recon and the original Battlefront. Says a lot.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
RestERA is a very console focused forum generally in my impression. The FP-Genres are historically primarily on PC and that is where they had their real birth and renaissance. Third person games on the other hand had their birth on console mainly in their modern form I think.

Just an impression of course - not a scientific fact.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's one of the weirder takes I see on Era. Each perspective brings unique game design to the forefront.

Yeah this

I can totally understand preferring one over the other, but refusing to play games that use one just seems weird to me

There are things FP games can do better than 3rd person games and vice versa, so to refuse to engage with one entirely is just bizarre

That said, I'm not going to judge anyone for what they play and what they don't play, at the end of day you should play what you want to play and screw what everyone else thinks

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's because I wanna see my character. See how he moves, jumps, reacts, does things, etc.
It's the opposite for me. Modern third-person games are generally awful because they focus too much on fancy animation systems and have animation priority over input priority, so they're unresponsive to play. I feel so disconnected from the action, and it's a constant reminder that I'm playing a game.
The free-floating camera often gets in the way in enclosed spaces too, and tends to restrict level design as a result.

I think a lot of people would actually prefer first-person games if they weren't playing them on consoles.

What's with "FPS is for PC gamers" comments?
Halo is probably the most popular and best selling FPS franchise on the planet (ok, maybe lower than Counter Strike) and it's exclusive to XBox.
It's not that "FPS is for PC gamers" but that many of the issues people cite as the reason they dislike or avoid first-person games are specific to consoles.

Yep. Anthem completely put me off by having first-person perspective in the hub world.
That's funny, because I thought that Anthem was going to be a first-person game, having only seen footage of the story content, and I now have zero interest after finding out that the gameplay is third-person.

Mar 8, 2018
My preference for third-person stems from feeling like I have less control over my character, especially when it comes to platforming. I just feel overall less precise with my movement in first-person.

That said, it's not like I hate FPP games. Prey was one of my favorites of 2017, Doom 2016 is obviously fantastic, and Halo Reach was a thrill-ride as a teenager. If a game's in first-person it just has to appeal to me in enough ways to overcome that preference.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I hate playing FPS games on consoles. Dual sticks are terrible for FP aiming.

FPS with K+M input tho is life.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
First person tends to give me motion sickness, which is a shame because there are first person games I think I'd really enjoy otherwise. Occasionally I'll flip to it in GTA or some racing games where it is an option, just as a change of pace, but in general I'm content sticking to third-person.

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
First person perspective is designed for user being close to see screen aka PC gaming. Console/TV setup doesn't really work for that. This is objective user experience design fact.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
First person perspective is designed for user being close to see screen aka PC gaming. Console/TV setup doesn't really work for that. This is objective user experience design fact.
What makes you say that? If anything I would think that third-person games are worse at a distance since everything is smaller due to the camera being pulled back.