• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Happy (?) (Belated) New Year All MusicEra

So, that was a strange year to begin a new decade. The pandemic has done significant damage to large swathes of the economy and especially the arts. Thankfully the ability of musicians to release new music was relatively unimpeded but its important to remember a lot of artists are dependent on live performances to keep themselves a float.

But still its important to celebrate the successes of the year. The rare appearance (with the typical acclaim) of Fiona Apple, the sound of summers unrest from Run the Jewels, TWO albums from Taylor Swift, Bob Dylan received great reviews for the 7th decade straight and numerous beloved albums from women and minorities.

Now its time for the annual Album of Year Vote. You've got over a month to vote and I want emphasise that now would be a good time to spend a little extra to support your favourite artists especially those in the independent sphere. I would recommend Bandcamp.

As always here are some rules:

- Minimum of 3 Albums, with a maximum of 10 ranked places (1st getting 10 points, 2nd getting 9 points etc) and 5 Honourable Mentions (1/2 Point Each).
- Albums or EPs count as long as they released in the 2020 Calendar Year.
- You can edit your list up until the deadline, 5th April 21.
- Please use the below format:
  1. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  2. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  3. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  4. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  5. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  6. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  7. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  8. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  9. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
  10. ALBUM - Artist - Comments
HM. ALBUM - Artist - Comments​
Happy Voting

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:00 PM

Fiona_Apple_-_Fetch_the_Bolt_Cutters.png
Run_the_Jewels_-_RTJ4.png
Bob_Dylan_-_Rough_and_Rowdy_Ways.png
Waxahatchee_Saint_Cloud.jpg

Last edited:

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
My nominees are:

1. Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
2. Kick i - Arca
3. Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) - Kali Uchis
4. How I'm Feeling Now - Charli XCX
5. Sawayama - Rina Sawayama

Honarable mentions:
My Agenda - Dorian Electra
Positions - Ariana Grande
100 Gecs and The Tree of Clues - 100 Gecs
ALIAS - Shygirl

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
My 6 nominees are:
  1. LIVE VOL. 1 - Parcels - I really cannot recommend this album enough to anyone and it's free to listen to on YouTube
  2. EARTH - EOB
  3. TRIPPING WITH NILS FRAHM - Nils Frahm
  4. MCCARTNEY III - Paul McCartney
  5. FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS - Fiona Apple
  6. AMERICAN HEAD - The Flaming Lips

Last edited:

BreakingARC

Oct 30, 2017
1. Circles - Mac Miller
2. After Hours - The Weeknd
3. Song Machine: Season One Strange Timez - Gorillaz
4. RTJ 4 - Run The Jewels
5. Man on the Moon III: The Chosen - Kid Cudi
6. It Is What It Is - Thundercat
7. Alfredo - Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
1. The New Abnormal - The Strokes
2. Circles - Mac Miller
3. Song Machine - Gorillaz

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
1. SPLID - Kvelertak - Their debut was/is one of the best albums of the decade, 9 years and a couple of weak releases later they finally managed to recapture that spirit and energy, added more Turbonegro-spice again and released this total banger
2. PALIMPSEST - Protest the Hero - One of my favorite bands with another strong output, would have taken the crown any other year
3. THE WAY IT ENDS - Currents - Most djent-adjacent bands are usually not for me, but every single Currents release so far has been fantastic and for me they are in a league of their own
4. SCULPTURE OF VIOLENCE - Giver - One of the best melodic hardcore albums in recent memory and highly recommended to fans of Modern Life Is War, Defeater, Have Heart etc.
5. PEARS - Pears - Unique, borderline insane punkrock album on which you never know what awaits you in the next 5 seconds. Love it.
6. ENDARKENMENT - Anaal Nathrakh - Also one of my fav bands and the quality of their album varies quite a bit, this one is definitely one of their better ones. Great soundtrack to the apocalypse.
7. BLACK HEART - Within the Ruins - Tetris Metal and one of the few bands I actually like from this sector. 1-2 songs don't hit as hard as they could and I would have appreciated 1-2 more songs on it, but what's there is largely excellent
8. WEST COAST VS. WESSEX - NOFX vs. Frank Turner - NOFX is my fav band of all time and the last releases haven't been particularly good (to say the least...), but this one is their best output in pretty much a decade. Every single song a fantastic re-interpretation while its soul remains intact. Gives me a bit more hope for their future.
9. DANCING WITH THE CURSE - Get Dead - Punk, folk and a little bit of ska, great lyrics, lots of energy, summer and skateboarding feeling...fans of Rancid, Against Me! etc. should give this a spin.
10. SCRIPTURES - Benediction - Great comeback 12 years after their last album, british oldschool death metal with punk vibes, maybe a bit too long overall, but still a good time

HM. INDOCTRINATE - Concede - Grind/hardcore/powerviolence, 14 songs in 17 minutes, solid debut
HM. NEAERA - Neaera - Good comeback album and successfully managed to re-focus on their core strengths after they released several stinkers and went on hiatus for 7 years
HM. RELUCTANT HERO - Killer Be Killed - Supergroup consisting of members of Mastodon, Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan + Max Cavalera, much better than the debut, as each member's strengths are highlighted more and utilized better
HM. WEIGHT OF THE FALSE SELF - Hatebreed - Well, it's a Hatebreed album, so no big surprises here. Doesn't reach its predecessor's excellence, but still a good time
HM. LAMB OF GOD - Lamb of God - Made my peace with the fact that their heyday is long over (As the Palaces Burn and especially Ashes of the Wake are some of my fav albums ever), still managed to disappoint me, probably mostly because of their pre-release drivel that this record is going to be something fresh and special. It's solid, but not more.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Top 10:

1. MANDALA OF FEAR - Huntsmen - they described themselves as 'Americana-doom' but I think its a great alround metal album with a great mix of post/proggy/sludge/doom. It reminds me of 70s Yes at moments.
2. BLOODLETTING - Mountaineer - biggest surprise. I guess it falls into a gazey/sludgey corner but the whole record is a sort of warm positive bath. Great melodies.
3. BITTERZOET - Eefje de Visser - Dutch singer/songwriter. love the production on the album, nice 80s-nostalgia vibes at moments.
3. WHEN I DIE, WILL I GET BETTER? - Svalbard - Maybe their most 'complete' record yet. Love the wall of sound and the bigger focus on melodies
5. OBSIDIAN - Paradise Lost - Very simple: excellent Paradise Lost album.
6. FORGOTTEN DAYS - Pallbearer - One of the most promising bands in the genre cemented their reputation with this album. Big riffs, big catchy hooks.
7. STARE INTO DEATH AND BE STILL - Ulcerate - My tech-death record of the year. Holy shit.
8. MAY OUR CHAMBERS BE FULL - Emma Ruth Rundle ft Thou - I'm a big fan of ERR and I like Thou so this collab couldnt go wrong. Love the mix between ERRs clean vocals and Thou's heavier stuff.
9. FLUID EXISTENTIAL INVERSIONS - Intronaut - Is it prog? is it metal? I dunno, but its good.
10. RUNAWAYS - W O L F C L U B - I listen to a lot of synthwave/electronic stuff but this is like a record full of catchy singles. Rush is such a good track.

Honorable Mentions:

HM 1 - AGES - Dawnwalker - Opeth-esque mix of acoustic/folky things and more post-metalish harder parts.
HM 2 - CHILD SOLDIER: CREATOR OF GOD - Greg Pucatiato - Solo-offering from the Ex-Dillinger Escape Plan frontman. Great mix of between basically all of his projects and quite some NIN-vibes.
HM 3 - OF VALLEYS AND MOUNTAINS - Pull Down The Sun - Gojira-inspired band from New Zealand, but crosses over in instrumental post-metal just as easily.
HM 4 - THANK YOU 4 TAKING ME 2 THE DISCO - Meg Myers - Myers released two EPs; both containing some 'leftover' material from her previous record and some new songs. I think I might like these songs more than Take Me To The Disco
HM 5 - I'D LIKE 2 GO HOME NOW - Meg Myers - see above

Last edited:

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
1. Shape and Destroy - Ruston Kelly
2. Silver Linings - Less Than Jake
3. Honeymoon - Beach Bunny
4. Sex, Death & The Infinite Void - Creeper
5. Women in Music Pt. III - HAIM
6. Good Luck With Whatever - Dawes
7. Paradise - Cold Years
8. Q36 - The Rentals

Last edited:

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
1. Dancing with the Curse- Get Dead- Amazing album, every track is worth the entry price.
2. Jim Bob- Pop Up Jim Bob- Ex-Carter USM front man's most recent solo effort, love Jim Bob, probably the best lyricist to come out of the UK Indie scene, ever...
3. Days N Daze- Show me the Blueprints- Excellent Folk Punk band.
4. NoFX and Frank Turner- West Coast vs. Wessex- NoFX do Turner songs... Turner does NoFX songs. Brilliant stuff.

To be honest during lockdown I retreated into the safety of The Descendents, Leftover Crack, The Misfits, DK's and other Stuff I've spent decades with, didn't have the headspace for digging out too much new shit.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
To be honest during lockdown I retreated into the safety of The Descendents, Leftover Crack, The Misfits, DK's and other Stuff I've spent decades with, didn't have the headspace for digging out too much new shit.
Give the self-titled album from Pears a spin, they are on Fat and might be right up your alley.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
1. Miasmatic Necrosis - Apex Profane - best grindcore album released in years.

Frank Lemon

Oct 27, 2017
Spirit World Field Guide- Aesop Rock
Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
RTJ4 - Run the Jewels

Last edited:

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
1. Set My Heart On Fire Immediately - Perfume Genius
2. Fetch The Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
3. Archives Vol. 2 - Neil Young
4. Sign O The Times Super Deluxe Edition - Prince
5. The New Abnormal - The Strokes
6. Miss Anthropocene - Grimes
7. McCartney III - Paul McCartney
8. Heavy Light - U.S. Girls
9. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers

Nothing was amazing to me this year like Titanic Rising was, other than Perfume Genius. Tried listening to that Sault album.....it's cool but uhh, greatest of the year?

As far as Punisher, I love the production but the songs aren't really my thing. Made me want a new Snail Mail album.

Last edited:

Blue for Sale

Sep 7, 2018
  1. 真っ黒 (Makkuro)tricot
  2. Heaven to a Tortured Mind Yves Tumor
  3. Song for Our Daughter Laura Marling
  4. Alfredo Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist
  5. songs Adrianne Lenker
  6. Lianne La HavasLianne La Havas
  7. Manger on McNicholsBoldy James & Sterling Toles
  8. Charmed DJ Sabrina The Teenage DJ
  9. PolysommKairon; IRSE!
  10. Suite for Max BrownJeff Parker
HM. Irreversible EntanglementsWho Sent You
HM. PotteryWelcome to Bobby's Motel
HM. Thiago NassifMente
HM. Blu & ExileMiles
HM. Ichiko AobaWindswept Adan

Last edited:

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
  1. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
  2. Splid - Kvelertak
  3. Live Forever - Bartees Strange
  4. Anime, Trauma and Divorce - Open Mike Eagle
  5. Ultimate Success Today - Protomartyr
  6. The Microphones in 2020 - The Microphones
  7. What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
  8. 10 - tricot
  9. Knot - Knot
  10. Heaven To A Tortured Mind - Yves Tumor
HM. The Park - Akai Ko-en - RIP

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
2020 was a weird year music wise for me, I listened to maybe more music than I ever have in a year before, but my tastes tended to stick much more conservative - I listened a lot more for comfort this year, and less for experimentation and discovery.
  1. Brave Faces Everyone - Spanish Love Songs - Nothing summed up 2020 more to me than this album, seriously it was like the Animal Crossing: New Horizons of albums, right place at the exact right time. And even disregarding that it's a master class that I will be listening to for decades anyway.
  2. Black Thoughts - Ziggy Ramo - For an album that was written over the past 5 years, boy has it been never more relevant than 2020.
  3. Anime, Trauma and Divorce - Open Mike Eagle - As an anime fan, a hip-hop fan, a human being that doesn't always process childhood traumas in the best of ways, and a human that lived through the shittery of 2020, breakups, family drama and all... this album was kind of tailor made for me. Like for real, I had heard of Open Mike Eagle before this but never really gave him as much attention as he deserved until this record, and I'm so glad I did.
  4. Nyaaringu - Miiesha - One of the best debut albums to come out of Australia in the past decade, and like above, all too relevant.
  5. Breakfast for Pathetics - Tired Lion - If you like grunge tinted indie rock than please do yourself a favour and check out this record. Plus the title is the opening line to every day of my life, and that tickles me.
  6. Impossible Weight - Deep Sea Diver - Jessica Dobson is one of my favourite people in music, and that alone probably would've landed it on this list for me even if this album didn't reach out and touch my soul in such a visceral way. Honestly this record could probably be my number one, and it wouldn't at all feel out of place, though I could pretty much say that about anything on this list as it was torture to number them.
  7. Last Year Was Weird, Vol.2 - Tkay Maidza - This album is just so damn much fun, I dunno, I can't really articulate why I love it so much other than that every time I listen to it my funk disappears, and I start to dance in my seat.
  8. Visions of Bodies Being Burned - clipping. - It's horrorcore, and as someone who thinks there needs to be vastly more horrorcore in the world, this album (like the prequel) delivers greatly, and Daveed continues to prove himself as one of the masters of the art.
  9. Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic - The Ocean - Proggy, avante-gardey post-metal? Yes please. The Ocean have released some of the most celebrated metal albums of the past two decades without a single real low point, and this streak very much continues with their latest effort. Specific shoutout to the track Jurassic which is a monster.
  10. The Slow Rush - Tame Impala - As an Australian I'm required by law to put any new Tame Impala record on my best of list, thankfully it helps that this is a damn good record. Whilst I don't think it quite hits the highs of Kevin Parker's previous work it's still a damn good ride that I highly recommend to anyone.
HM. Mordechai - Khruangbin
HM. Reunions - Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit
HM. The Modern Medieval - Something for Kate
HM. Name of the Seasons - cotoba
HM. RTJ4 - Run The Jewels

Note: Links lead to my favourite track off of the album, for the convenience of those that may want to listen.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
  1. Nectar - Joji
  2. Endless Dream - Peter Bjorn and John
  3. The Slow Rush - Tame Impala
  4. Cold Water - Cut Copy
  5. Shiver - Jónsi
  6. BRONSON - BRONSON, ODESZA, Golden Features
  7. it's the end of the world, but it's ok - Slow Magic
  8. Miss Anthropocene - Grimes

Here's a Spotify playlist of all the best songs:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Karma and Desire - Actress
  2. Three - The Necks
  3. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
  4. I Disagree - Poppy
  5. Fetch the Boltcutters - Fionna Apple
  6. Kaloli - Nihiloxica
  7. The Totemist - Ak'chamel, The Giver of Illness
  8. Protean Threat - Thee Oh Sees
  9. Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin - Eartheater -
  10. Alfredo - Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist
HM:

The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You
Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now
DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Charmed
Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - Unlocked
Omar S - You Want
Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
Moses Sumney - grae
Ichiko Aoba - Windswept Adan
Duo Lipa - Future Nostalgia
Skáphe - Skáphe³

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
  1. May Our Chambers Be Full - Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou
  2. Chaotic Divine - REZN
  3. Self Surgery - Mrs. Piss
  4. If Everything Happens for a Reason... Then Nothing Really Matters at All - Gone is Gone

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I started to get back into heavy music in 2020, and Gulch really brought me into the modern Hardcore scene (lost count how many times I've watched their few blistering live performances recorded in pre-lockdown days). 8 tracks, 16 minutes total, and still time to cover Siouxsie and the Banshees at the end? Great record.
  1. Impenetrable Cerebral Fortress - Gulch
  2. May Our Chambers Be Full - Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou
  3. The All is One - Motorpsycho
  4. May You be Held - Sumac
  5. Stygian - Atramentus
  6. Mestarin kynsi - Oranssi Pazuzu
  7. Rough and Rowdy Ways - Bob Dylan
  8. Room for the Moon - Kate NV
  9. Feral - RVG
  10. Source - Nubya Garcia
1zvjt0.jpg

2hakj8.jpg

3ptk84.jpg

4jpj0a.jpg

5frk54.jpg

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
HM: Rina Sawayama-SAWAYAMA, Sturgill Simpson-Cuttin Grass Vol 1, Bartees Strange-Live Forever, Charli XCX-how i'm feeling now, Blackpink-The Album

10. Lil Uzi Vert-Eternal Atake
9. Run the Jewels-RTJ4
8. Katie Pruitt-Expectations
7. Taylor Swift-Evermore
6. Waxahatchee-Saint Cloud
5. Fiona Apple-Fetch the Bolt Cutters
4. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit-Reunions
3. The Strokes-The New Abnormal
2. Yves Tumor-Heaven to a Tortured Mind
1. Haim-Women in Music Pt III

Sep 10, 2020
Oh hell yeah, let's get some weird shit up in this list.

1. LOVELORN - Before I Turn - A fucking brilliant progressive deathcore concept album. Bonus points for having guest vocals on a track from the singer of my favorite band ever, Alesana.
2. USE ME - Pvris - How this band has not taken over the world yet is beyond me. No such thing as a bad Pvris song. Simply sublime.
3. RTJ4 - Run The Jewels - Easily the best pure hip-hop album of the 2020. Somehow just got into them last year. Used to listen to El-P back in the day.
4. AFTERBURNER - Dance Gavin Dance - DGD never let me down. Nine albums in and as creative as ever.
5. INTO THE FRAY - Healer - Super promising new metalcore band. This album is fresh AF.
6. WOMB - Purity Ring - Lovely music to drive to.
7. MANIC - Halsey - Her honesty in pop music is super refreshing to hear.
8. ABYSS - Unleash The Archers - Holy hell, this is power metal done right.
9. LEGENDS NEVER DIE - Juice Wrld - Not normally something I'd listen to in the past. Glad I gave this a chance. R.I.P.
10. PUNISHER - Phoebe Bridgers - What more can be said? Her performance on SNL was legendary.

HM. TICKETS TO MY DOWNFALL - Machine Gun Kelly - MGK does pop punk and I'm living for it.
HM. MAN ON THE MOON III: THE CHOSEN - Kid Cudi - Eclectic album from an eclectic individual.
HM. BLACK HEART - Within The Ruins - The talent is off the charts with these dudes.
HM. RUNAWAYS - Wolf Club - New Wave for the 21st century.
HM. MOMENT - Dark Tranquillity - Decades later, this band continues to deliver.

Bonus HMs:
SmrtDeath
Aesop Rock
Deftones
Soccer Mommy
Oceans of Slumber
Picturesque
Stand Atlantic
August Burns Red
Saviour
The Bunny The Bear

If I could do a top 50, I would...

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I really fell off music this year in a way that makes me wonder if I'll ever really get back on again, especially if we continue to spend a significant amount of time at home and not traveling or commuting. For some reason there's always something else to do besides listen to albums, and nothing really grabbed me last year.

That said, in an extremely arbitrary order I basically just came up with on the spot:

1. Sweeping Promises - Hunger for a Way Out
2. Shin Sakiura - NOTE
3. Kate NV - Room for the Moon
4. mei ehara - Ampersands
5. Tennis - Swimmer
6. George Clanton & Nick Hexum - George Clanton & Nick Hexum
7. beabadoobee - Fake It Flowers
8. Ego Ella May - Honey for Wounds
9. Jessy Lanza - All the Time
10. Aseul - Slow Dance

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. SAWAYAMA - Rina Sawayama - The real future of nostalgia. Perfect no-skip.
2. PUNISHER - Phoebe Bridgers - How is it ok for someone so good to keep getting better? This album crushed me, and I deserved it.
3. ORIGIN OF THE ALIMONIES - Liturgy - Don't listen to this. 98% chance won't like it. I love it A LOT.
4. GRAE - Moses Sumney - How are there this many feels and forms on such a short album? Slept-on brilliance. One of the best vocals of 2020 to boot.
5. HANNAH - Lomelda - This is the close, cozy, cathartic cuteness everyone needed in 2020 (and 2021?) I wanna be best friends with this album 4evr.
6. SIN MIEDO (DEL AMOR Y OTROS DEMONIOS) - Kali Uchis - I put condoms on my ears and I still got preggers.
7. SET MY HEART ON FIRE IMMEDIATELY - Perfume Genius - One of my favorite modern artists just flexing all over the place. His best work yet.
8. HOW I'M FEELING NOW - Charli XCX - Right up there with POP 2 as her best work. A no-skip album.
9. COLOR THEORY - Soccer Mommy - Interesting evolution of her bedroom pop approach. Bigger and brighter, yet somehow darker. Love it.
10. JUMP ROPE GAZERS - The Beths - Wonderfully-recorded, endearing rock songs created by wholesomeness (and a great group of folks.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 20155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Autechre - SIGN
  2. JARV IS... - Beyond the Pale
  3. Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1
  4. Avalon Emerson - DJ-Kicks
  5. Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine
  6. Various Artists - Field Works: Ultrasonic
  7. The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You
  8. The Chap - Digital Technology
  9. Oneohtrix Point Never - Magic Oneohtrix Point Never
  10. Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Protomartyr - Ultimate Success Today
    protomartyr-ultimate-success-today-album-cover-artwork.jpg

will add more

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
1. Imploding the Mirage - The Killers - The GOAT band of the 2000s made one of their best albums, 20 years into their career. When will your fave?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
1. How I'm Feeling Now - Charli XCX - Charli created and released this whole album in lockdown and it's a musical ride, a queen 👑.
2. Nothing is True and Everything is Possible - Enter Shikari - True to Shikaris nature this album is super political and hits very hard in places, I legitimately laughed, sighed and cried during this album x Shikari always take me places. Also I've seen them live like 8-9 times.
3. Chromatica - Lady Gaga - Possibly some of Gaga's best work. Take me to Chromatica x
4. SAWAYAMA - Rina Sawayama - she's an amazing vocalist and this album is gorgeous.
5. Seeking Thrills - Georgia - Georgia is a pop Princess this album is banging x

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
1. All Borders Are Porous to Cats - The World/Inferno Friendship Society
2. Skeleton Coast - The Lawrence Arms
3. Songs For Pierre Chuvin - The Mountain Goats
4. NO DREAM - Jeff Rosenstock
5. Imploding the Mirage - The Killers
6. Revolution Spring - The Suicide Machines
7. Paradise - Red City Radio
8. Dream Hunting in the Valley of the In-Between - Man Man
9. Brave Faces Everyone - Spanish Love Songs
10. The New Abnormal - The Strokes

Jarlaxle

Oct 30, 2017
1. The New Abnormal - The Strokes
2. American Head - The Flaming Lips
3. Zombie - El Goodo
4. Must Be A Dream - Tempesst
5. Midnight Manor - The Nude Party
6. K.G. - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
7. Every Bad - Porridge Radio
8. Chaotic Divine - REZN
9. Strange to Explain - Woods
10. Shortly After Takeoff - BC Camplight

Honorable Mentions: The albums by GUM, Everything Everything, The Heavy Eyes, Post Animal, Tame Impala, Wolf Parade, Thee Oh Sees, Fiona Apple, and Crippled Black Phoenix.

This was a good year for music for me.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
1. Sawayama - Rina Sawayama - great pop album. "Dynasty", "XS", "Stfu" are great opening songs for the album. My favorite songs are "Love me 4 me" and "who's gonna save u now". All songs are actuallt great, except "Chosen Family". I used to always skipped it, but as time went by, I learned to allow it to play, as the lyrics actually made some points.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
1. Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
2. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
3. Song for Our Daughter - Laura Marling
4. Whole New Mess - Angel Olsen
5. Color Theory - Soccer Mommy
6. Beyond the Pale - Jarvis Cocker
7. Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was - Bright Eyes
8. Free Love - Sylvan Esso
9. The New Abnormal - The Strokes

I have mainly been listening to the first 2 records on the list, I am obsessed with Fiona and Phoebe, please send help.

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
  1. Fetch The Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
  2. What's Your Pleasure ? - Jessie Ware
  3. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
  4. Roisin Machine - Roisin Murphy
  5. Women In Music Pt 3 - Haim
  6. folklore - Taylor Swift
  7. Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa
  8. how i'm feeling now - Charli XCX
  9. SAWAYAMA - Rina Sawayama
  10. Miss Anthropocene - Grimes

Fetch The Bolt Cutters and What's Your Pleasure are legist some of my favorite albums of all times, and are high above the rest, but everything in that top 10 I find to be legitimately EXCELLENT. I'm very pleased with that year in terms of music if anything.

(I actually like evermore as much as I do folklore but there were too many artists to praise so I couldn't justify giving Taylor 2 spots)

HM. L'ère du Verseau - Yelle
HM. Set My Heart On Fire Immediately - Perfume Genius
HM. Ungodly Hour - Chloe x Halle
HM. Dedicated Side B - Carly Rae Jepsen
HM. DISCO - Kylie Minogue

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
8. Heavy Light - U.S. Girls

Nothing was amazing to me this year like Titanic Rising was, other than Perfume Genius. Tried listening to that Sault album.....it's cool but uhh, greatest of the year?

As far as Punisher, I love the production but the songs aren't really my thing. Made me want a new Snail Mail album.
I didn't realize that she released a new album, thanks for the listing, gonna listen to it now.

Titanic Rising was also one of my faves from 2019, actually bought it another two times on vinyl and gift it to friends for christmas.
And Lush was such a great album (it was my favorite from 2018), really looking forward for the next one as well. You probably have seen this, but just in case you haven't, she was still in high school when they recorded this:

I don't know why, but I'm loving this song so much.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Do we count live albums or no?

I didn't realize that she released a new album, thanks for the listing, gonna listen to it now.

Titanic Rising was also one of my faves from 2019, actually bought it another two times on vinyl and gift it to friends for christmas.
And Lush was such a great album (it was my favorite from 2018), really looking forward for the next one as well. You probably have seen this, but just in case you haven't, she was still in high school when they recorded this:

I don't know why, but I'm loving this song so much.

I saw Snail Mail at a festival in 2019 (one of the last concerts I went to, actually) without knowing her or listening to her stuff beforehand. Really great, turned me onto Lush right away.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Do we count live albums or no?

Don't see any reasons why we shouldn't.

I saw Snail Mail at a festival in 2019 (one of the last concerts I went to, actually) without knowing her or listening to her stuff beforehand. Really great, turned me onto Lush right away.

I missed their concert unfortunately (think it was in Hamburg). I love going to concerts and be swept away by bands I have never heard of before.

Nov 1, 2017
PIM5FpE.jpg

1. Græ - Moses Sumney
Græ by Moses Sumney is my album of the year for 2020. Moses Sumney's sophomore release following Aromanticism just 3 years ago, is bolder and louder. Where his debut album was quiet and allowed room for Sumney's beautiful falsetto like wide strokes on a canvas, Græ's production adds several layers to the painting. Originally released online in two parts, the first part is a thumping, honest introduction to the idea of multiplicity. The second part is more akin to Aromanticism with slower ballads that highlight Sumney's ethereal vocals. A rare album that transcends genre while maintaining a universal theme throughout. If I had to dumb it down, I'd say it's almost as if Radiohead (In Rainbows) and D'Angelo had a lovechild.

2. Inner Song - Kelly Lee Owens
This one came out of nowhere for me. It was playing on the speakers while I was record shopping one day and I had to ask who it was. Kelly Lee Owens' fascination with using sounds as a form of healing and cleansing comes through in her cathartic techno & dream pop vibes. It feels like being covered with by a blanket of really pleasing rhythms and noises. Opening with a Radiohead classic is a bold move, but her version of Arpeggi is really a marvel.

3. We WIll Always Love You - The Avalanches
When Wildflower came out in 2016, I instantly fell in love with The Avalanches. And then I went back and listened to Since I Left You and came away even more stunned at just how impressive their plunderphonic music was. I have always loved music that uses sampling. It feels like an homage; a way to summon spirits in the music. And with We Will Always Love You, this album feels like The Avalanches' most realized concept yet.

4. Circles - Mac Miller
5. After Hours - The Weeknd
6. What's Your Pleasure - Jessie Ware
7. what we drew - Yaeji
8. Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas
9. Limbo - Aminé
10. 2017-2019 - Against All Logic

OP
OP
Sasliquid

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
So today is the deadline but let's be honest we need more votes so I will extend it to the 22nd.

edit: would be grateful for an admin to update the title to reflect this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
1. Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Fiona Apple
I Want You to Love Me -> Shameika -> Fetch the Bolt Cutters and Ladies -> Heavy Balloon -> Cosmonauts are the best track sequences of the year. Even if the rest of the album sucked (which it does not), these six songs alone would be AOTY.

2. Song Machine, Season One: Strange Timez - Gorillaz
Surprised by how much I loved this, considering so many of the singles didn't really grab me (even weirder, despite not grabbing me as singles, I like most of those tracks as they appear here). But this is easily my favorite Gorillaz album since Demon Days. Endlessly replayable. Opium in particular is a goddamn jam.

3. The Slow Rush - Tame Impala
One More Year is one of my favorite songs of the year, and weirdly prescient as a pre-pandemic listen. Also Breathe Deeper, so fucking good.

4. Sister - Ultraista
5. Shore - Fleet Foxes
6. The Main Thing - Real Estate
7. WITH - Sylvan Esso
8. 3.15.20 - Childish Gambino
9. Suddenly - Caribou
10. We Will Always Love You - The Avalanches

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Originally thought that I was not going to vote at all since I really didn't listen to that much music last year. It turns out festivals and gigs in general are really important for me when it comes to discovering new artists. So that's why this list is a bit more boomerish than I would like.

1. American Head - Flaming Lips
2. The Unraveling - Drive-By Truckers
3. Making A Door Less Open - Car Seat Headrest
4. Tripping With Nils Frahm - Nils Frahm
5. A Celebration Of Endings - Biffy Clyro
6. Have We Met - Destroyer
7. Punisher - Phoebe Bridgers
8. Splid - Kveelertak
9. Last and First Men - Jóhann Jóhannsson
10. Gaslighter - The Chicks

Last edited:

Nintenleo