• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems interesting and very akin to Taika's NZ stuff. Is there anywhere to watch it outside the US?

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Was dope how they had the rap version of the song to open the episode and closed with the sad version after the events that happened.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we will get an episode with more stuff going on with Cheese. Sorta feels like he is a little less focused than the others, maybe just because there was a full episode without him. Really like the dynamic and relationship between the characters and how they speak to each other. I keep forgetting I want to Google some of the stuff they say and I can't remember any except the one word "mvto" that I did take the take to pause and look up.

That thing with the mom and her date was hilarious. I thought it was just going to be that when she woke up that she'd find out that the guy had a serious Native American fetish but the scene took it much farther lol

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Each episode gets better and better. Wes Studi was awesome. Seeing Cheese swagger with Big was awesome.

Just looked this up - the actor that plays Big (Zahn McClarnon) is going to be in Hawkeye as "William Lopez".

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Enjoyed the Deer Lady aspect of the last episode.

Song at the end is the theme song for F is for Family, which is why it sounded so familiar to me.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is one of my favorite shows I've seen in a long time. I rarely re-watch TV or even feel like I'd want to, but after every episode of this finishes I'm like man, I could just watch that again. It's that good and that lovingly made. I think the characters are astoundingly good. Loved that BTS video above!

Each episode gets better and better. Wes Studi was awesome. Seeing Cheese swagger with Big was awesome.

Just looked this up - the actor that plays Big (Zach McClarnon) is going to be in Hawkeye as "William Lopez".
If you've never seen Longmire, Zahn is really excellent on it. One of those shows that my parents convinced me to watch (very rare) and it ended up being really great.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. I love the slice of life and the comedy is right on point for me.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Definitely one of the more emotional episodes so far. I like the fact each episode has been different and they have been giving each member of the kid ensemble their spotlight.

At first I thought Daniel was her brother, but towards the end it seemed like it was her cousin

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Did not expect to see
Bill Burr
pop up on the show.

Really good episode. Curious what note the season finale ends on next week.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Today's episode was really special; Bill Burr was fantastic. More people need to be watching this.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this was the season finale based on what was shown. Thought it would be a long season. I'm looking forward to the next season

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just watched the season finale

Alura leaving Bear waiting on the curb while she drives off to California :(

Listening to the other girl, seemed like she is having second thoughts and wouldn't shock me if she ends up turning around and S2 picks up with her coming back.

Cheddar talking about the patriarchy was funny

Ol dude losing his clothes in the tornado fight, yikes

Overall really good 1st season.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Can't wait to watch the finale tonight. Truly one of the best new shows in years.. glad the Dogs got on the Emmys last night! I am constantly trying to get friends and family to watch.

Check out this amazing work by Greg Ruth:

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
This first season was incredible. We need more shows like this. I mean that in a racial diversity sense, as it is so cool to get a window into reservation culture through the eyes of these kids, but I also mean it in the sense that we need more stories that are shot on location in places where shows don't normally film and written by people we don't normally hear from. I'm so tired of shows set/shot in California or New York, not because of any disdain for these places and cultures... it's just like... we've seen it. It was just a complete success of a season for me. Loved every episode.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This first season was incredible. We need more shows like this. I mean that in a racial diversity sense, as it is so cool to get a window into reservation culture through the eyes of these kids, but I also mean it in the sense that we need more stories that are shot on location in places where shows don't normally film and written by people we don't normally hear from. I'm so tired of shows set/shot in California or New York, not because of any disdain for these places and cultures... it's just like... we've seen it. It was just a complete success of a season for me. Loved every episode.

Agreed on all points! I know filming on location can be expensive in states that don't offer generous tax incentives, but every time I see that a new show is set in LA, NY, or Chicago, my eyes glaze over. We need more stories told in/around/about small towns, reservations, and even large, but still underexplored cities like...idk Boise or Wichita or something.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That moment in the flashback when Elora goes back into the hangout spot is one of the most affecting things I've ever seen on TV, even knowing what was inevitably coming.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed on all points! I know filming on location can be expensive in states that don't offer generous tax incentives, but every time I see that a new show is set in LA, NY, or Chicago, my eyes glaze over. We need more stories told in/around/about small towns, reservations, and even large, but still underexplored cities like...idk Boise or Wichita or something.
As a lifelong Boise resident, I don't know that there's any good stories to tell here.:P I say that, but then my mind starts racing when I really think about what a show set here could be like. I got kinda excited when I found out that that Fred Savage and Rob Lowe show 'The Grinder' was set here, but they had one or two establishing shots from Boise, and the rest was all shot in California.
That moment in the flashback when Elora goes back into the hangout spot is one of the most affecting things I've ever seen on TV, even knowing what was inevitably coming.
I had to turn the TV off and cry for a good half hour while my wife held me. I found my brother dead last year and that scene put me right back in his apartment in such a visceral way that I had to take a week off from watching the show just to get back in the headspace I needed to be in to enjoy it.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had to turn the TV off and cry for a good half hour while my wife held me. I found my brother dead last year and that scene put me right back in his apartment in such a visceral way that I had to take a week off from watching the show just to get back in the headspace I needed to be in to enjoy it.

That's heartbreaking, I'm sorry for your loss.

When that episode ended the thought crossed my mind that it was nice that they put the PSA at the end, but was surprised in hindsight that there was no trigger warning. I know that's not how TV shows tend to operate though, at least for now.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better new shows for sure. Bear's spirit (or whatever you call him) never fails to make me laugh, his delivery is on point.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
That's heartbreaking, I'm sorry for your loss.

When that episode ended the thought crossed my mind that it was nice that they put the PSA at the end, but was surprised in hindsight that there was no trigger warning. I know that's not how TV shows tend to operate though, at least for now.
Thanks! I need to stop posting about it at some point, because I worry so much about coming across like I'm fishing for sympathy.

On Hulu they had some kind of warning, but I wish it had been more specific. Her performance in that scene is what really brought it home. I've never taken trigger warnings lightly, even though they've been treated like a joke more often than they've been treated with respect, but now that I have this trauma in my life, I have such a deeper understanding of why trigger warnings are necessary.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
As a lifelong Boise resident, I don't know that there's any good stories to tell here.:P I say that, but then my mind starts racing when I really think about what a show set here could be like.

See? :D

I got kinda excited when I found out that that Fred Savage and Rob Lowe show 'The Grinder' was set here, but they had one or two establishing shots from Boise, and the rest was all shot in California.

I imagine that happens a lot - establishing shots of X but then it's filmed in like Vancouver or something.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the season.

As a show about identity, belonging, and trauma it just painted such a deep picture of this slice of the world that was funny at times and tragic at others. It really made sense where everyone ends up at the end of the season and you can understand why the characters each make the decision that they make.

Oct 26, 2017
Really sad there is no OT for this show. I just started watching it today. I'm only two episodes in, but I'm really liking it. I wasn't expecting the emotional gutpunch at the end of episode 1

Hell, we don't even know this character that passed away, what happened, or their relationship, but seeing them all get dressed up and to mourn him a year after still landed somehow.