• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience from high school, it's somewhat accurate. Though the friends I accumulated were not crazy intense anime fans like we have memes about now. They were just kinda nerdy, a little bit of outcasts but found their niche. We were also shades of emo, punk, grunge, etc.

Things are probably a lot different these days though, as that was early 2000s.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my HS, I dunno how it was in the White groups but on the Black side of things the anime fans weren't at the bottom. We were always cool with the more popular Black kids.

Now that I think about it, us Black nerds were also all athletes. Even the obese dudes at least did shotput.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I was super into old school fantasy novels through middle school and parts of high school. I even brought books to read between classes to school. I was teased somewhat for that, but I wasn't bullied. I'm pretty sure the reason was because I was on the baseball team, so I was sufficiently 'normal' in the eyes of assholes.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you need to be popular in real life high school when you can visit the walls of UA every night when you return home? Do a study on that.

BaconLazers

Nov 6, 2017
When I was at school playing computer games made you a huge geek/nerd. People always find somthing to make others feel bad about the things there enjoy

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
In my high school there was the "sports kids who ripped coke and x on the weekends", the "redneck 4H guys who drank themselves stupid on the weekends" and then everyone else.

The most popular guy was the one who supplied most of the drugs and the party mansion.

If you were known for doing ANYTHING that wasn't those things, you were on the bottom.

This is in the armpit of the south though, so YMMV.

Oct 25, 2017
México
This site likes to play the anime avatar = ignore card. Honestly quite sick of that attitude and should be ban worthy.
32804.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Are the kids who like anime pushed to the bottom of the social hierarchy, or is it being at the bottom of the social hierarchy that leads to those kids liking anime?

Actually it's probably a cycle--kids at the bottom are introduced to anime, that causes everyone else to associate anime with being at the bottom, thus pulling down kids that independently like anime, which increases the number of anime fans to spread to the fandom at the tier, repeat.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Can confirm am in high school.
I find people who proudly announce themselves as anime fans in public are generally not fun to interact with
Oh totally. They remind me of capital G Gamers. These guys only talk about one thing and lets their hobby define their personality.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Guess things didn't change since 12-15 years ago.

Same experiment could have been done on Era.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, from my own high school experience and also being a teacher, this sounds about right. i've been watching anime for pretty much my entire life but starting in high school i started playing it very close to the chest. i think there are a lot of anime/manga fans in high school who let their hobby become their entire identity. which is super unhealthy and in my experience can lead to some very toxic interactions and relationships.

Don't let your hobbies be your personality, kids
re fucking tweet

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Opinions are subjective. You can't speak for all anime fans. Many anime fans love Sword Art Online and it's perfectly valid to recommend it to newcomers. It's one of the most popular anime for a reason. Sword Art Online might be considered the peak of the anime form with its focus on wish fulfilment male power fantasies (this of course means sexual fanservice for the virgins and rape scenes are perfectly fine as just mere challenges for the hero) that can be inspiring for losers to finally go up a level in the social hierarchy. Please try to understand the importance of Sword Art Online to losers.
😩

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds about right. My group in school liked anime and manga but once people found out we also went to a ton of concerts every weekend, we weren't seen as weird. We had a ton of fun and always found ways to break the rules in our own ways, and since we were seen as the smart/sporty and unique group of pretty girls, nobody paid enough attention to us to ever even know we were up to something.

Then there were the girls who were 100% defined by their awkward anime nerd status, and they were shunned and ignored.

It's crazy how these social groups form even in unisex environments, too. I'd like to see more observational studies come out about the social group and subgroup breakdowns in high school. I thought that with the popularization of anime and "nerdy" things in our overall culture, the divide between these groups wouldn't be so obvious...or at least the shunning of anime fans would lessen. Then again, it isn't just that they like anime but that they are socially awkward...

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is anecdotal of course, but in my teens I viewed anime fans with a lot disdain, because most of the ones I knew were very rude, condescending and in general people that derided you if you tried to talk to them about anime, video games, etc. They are the reason I never spoke about video games in school.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's a high school English teacher at an inner city public school for at-risk kids ... and Every boy is into anime, even the cool kids. They do their papers on anime, draw anime characters in class, it's everywhere. I think anime is a lot more mainstream in urban / inner city schools than in the burbs, but that's just a theory of mine based on the three schools she's taught at... One which was a high achieving ultra wealthy public school in Massachusetts, the next an inner city school but with a much larger and economically diverse population, and this school where just about all of her students are economically disadvantaged.

When I was a teen a lifetime ago anime was something definitely derided. There were a handful of kids privately into anime, but they would have never admitted it. I knew because I was privately into videogames and there was some cross-over. Mind you, this was an age when being into videogames was something that you hid from people.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Unless they're like dragon ball fans. When I was in highschool all types of people liked Dragon Ball.

But yeah I know alot of cool people who like anime but then made the mistake of going to an anime club and interacting with the people way too into it. Never again..

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone here shitting on anime fans. But look closer: Love Anime/ Manga (japanese video games and graphic novels). And after that Loners.
Era is basically the realm between.
So better get out that eyeliner, coz it's a long way up to "Normals: Unknown; invisible"
pyramid_4_c_sm.jpg