• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Purslane

Jun 25, 2020
So they conducted a test that was going to fail no matter what, only to get a bunch of people riled up for nothing. Great journalism.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Regardless of whether or not this is true, Subway is hands down the worst and most disgusting fast food available in the US.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why not post the original NYT article? They did the legwork.

www.nytimes.com

The Big Tuna Sandwich Mystery (Published 2021)

A lawsuit against America’s largest sandwich chain has raised questions about America’s most popular canned fish. We tried to answer one: Is Subway selling tuna?

Also, there are caveats here guys.

So a big ol nothing burger of a news then.

This is what happens in the era of "Must be informed of everything happening anywhere and anything anyone says at all times!".

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sad part about all this is that I'd actually be thrilled if it wasn't tuna, because I wouldn't have to worry about mercury poisoning. Heck I'd probably end up eating one of those monstrosities daily during their BOGO events if mercury wasn't an issue.

When will subway shut down? The food is WAAAY to expensive at this point. It's always been crap, but it was cheap crap. Now it doesn't make sense.

You just how to know how to game the system. Subway has had BOGO online for the past 3 months with a coupon code. Combine that with 15% off gift cards and their points system and you're looking at $3-4 a footlong

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
i dont believe you....thats ... come on. NO.
I mean hopefully not.
slate.com

Is Imitation Calamari Made From Pig Rectum? The Anatomy of a Food Rumor.

A friend told me the other day that she'd heard a horrifying report on public radio: You know those deep-fried, chewy rings of calamari? Sure. Well,...

But the rumor did force me to confront, in my heart of hearts, whether I believe I'm the kind of person who would notice if my fried calamari were replaced with fried hog rectum.

(Because I know I'm not.)

Oct 27, 2017
So a big ol nothing burger of a news then.

This is what happens in the era of "Must be informed of everything happening anywhere and anything anyone says at all times!".
Just another day of neo-yellow-journalism...

We are in the Second Gilded Age after all. We get all the con artists and snake oil salesmen that come with it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Why not post the original NYT article? They did the legwork.

www.nytimes.com

The Big Tuna Sandwich Mystery (Published 2021)

A lawsuit against America’s largest sandwich chain has raised questions about America’s most popular canned fish. We tried to answer one: Is Subway selling tuna?

Also, there are caveats here guys.

Yeah canned tuna (which this is basically what this is) is such an absurdly cheap protein that I'm highly doubting this whole thing. Tuna is like 90 cents per can retail price which is far more expensive than what these companies can get it for.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I onece decided to try a subway tuna sub, possibly the worst lunch choice I ever made. It was just disgusting

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
what the FUCK is it then

Where do Subway sandwiches fit on this matrix:

kcBWcNjBxzC8O3Pw_-Sva26uvrdC9K3dPu3Pvn05aNE.jpg
How the fuck is a sub not a sandwich?

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy, but it should be illegal to feed people food that science can't identify.

How the fuck is a sub not a sandwich?

Because it's not two distinct slices of bread? That's my guess. My rule of "Is it a sandwich?" or whatever is "If someone offers you a sandwich and hands you this, would you be surprised?"

A sub is a sandwich. It would be super weird if someone offered you a sandwich and handed you a hot dog or pop tart, though.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
As a former Subway employee, I can tell you that fake tuna doesn't even crack the top five problems the restaurant has.

Please do not eat there.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Because it's not two distinct slices of bread? That's my guess. My rule of "Is it a sandwich?" or whatever is "If someone offers you a sandwich and hands you this, would you be surprised?"

A sub is a sandwich. It would be super weird if someone offered you a sandwich and handed you a hot dog or pop tart, though.
That seems super weird to me when even wiki defines a sub as submarine sandwich

so like I get that it's a type of sandwich but to remove it from the larger category seems really weird.
Like saying a truck isn't a car.
a hot dog I can see the argument.
If we accept pop tarts most of anything is a sandwich then.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so cooking the food denatures the DNA.

I care less about what DNA tests on cooked food say.

Give me a nutritional/ingredient makeup. And then a taste test. That's all that really matters.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
It's prolly chicken seasoned to taste like tuna.
I had a room mate that could make chicken salad taste like tuna salad.

Oct 26, 2017

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
NPR did a report, after researching didn't find any evidence of it actually happening. Then they fried up some pig rectum and tried it and apparently it was indistinguishable. So end result is no confirmation that it happens but if it did you wouldn't know.
I am somehow disgusted & intrigued at the same time.

With that said, that's probably an end with my love for calamari. I can't forget something like this.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to search the entire thread to see if you ever justified your BS statement.
Sure, why waste time reading the thread when you could better spend it being mad.

Are you a calamari fisherman or something? Are you worried my question might impact your livelihood? Or are you part of the hog rectum calamari scam and I'm getting too close to the truth for you?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It matters. It's hugely important. Giganteously important, in fact. Do you really want to live in a world where people call a bowl of cereal soup?
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria! Is that what you want?
That's easy, can you mop up with a piece of bread?
if the answer is no, then it cannot be soup.
That doesn't mean everything you can mop up with a piece of bread is soup.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It matters. It's hugely important. Giganteously important, in fact. Do you really want to live in a world where people call a bowl of cereal soup?
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria! Is that what you want?
Things can be defined as a bunch of different, sometimes hilarious, things based on various definitions. Truly amazing.