• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
So can you really only do a partial pause? If they are still doing Senate work could the Democrats theoreticlly all show up one day and pass a bunch of stuff without the Republicans given that they are not actually in recess?

Majority of Senators have to be there for the Senate to conduct business. Otherwise, 1 Republican can show up and ask for a quorum call and everything stops until they can get 50 senators there. So what would happen, in this instance, would be 47 Dems show up and can't do anything without 3 more Republicans, and any Republicans that came in would immediately ask for a quorum call which would give the rest of the Republicans enough time to show up as well.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and people are worried that if Democrats pack the courts, the GOP would retaliate

like wtf do you think they're doing?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the gop know their senate/house/presidential chances are fucked, and may be fucked for the foreseeable future. so they'll get that justice in.

the dems should just pack the courts anyway whenever they get into power. but i fear they'll still care way too much about what republicans think.

hope i'm wrong though

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Obviously I echo this sentiment of this being complete BS. My question is should this sort of thing even be legally possible? Is there a legitimate situation where Congress should pause all business except for select, non-emergency stuff?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
the gop know their senate/house/presidential chances are fucked, and may be fucked for the foreseeable future. so they'll get that justice in.

the dems should just pack the courts anyway whenever they get into power. but i fear they'll still care way too much about what republicans think.

hope i'm wrong though

If Democrats don't immediately talk about court packing if they win this election, they will never hold power again.

This woman is going to vote to destroy the ACA in the middle of a goddamn pandemic. The kid gloves need to fucking go.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
That is so infuriating and simultaneously sad to consider. How do people continue to get duped into electing useless Democrats like that(Pelosi also) and not more folks like AOC?

Because people didn't elect "useless democrats" is why we're in this mess to begin with.

See 2012, 2014

Biden is leading by double digits and you want him to start talking about court packing. You guys would suck at poker.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The more they die on this hill the worse it's going to be for them long term.
No, it won't. In fact, the more they do this, the better it'll get for them. The view that we'll just take the high road and play by the rules, and we'll best them in the long run is naive because they keep changing the long game with their short-term wins.

You're trying to position as if you're playing Chess, but they're playing Street Fighter, and--let's be honest--our reps aren't Daigo.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the Dems get the SCOTUS to outright outlaw the Republican party, I don't see how any of you think court packing would work. It would be hyper unpopular by the middle ground voters and ensure a R president in 2024, in which they'll just undo any of these changes by whatever dirty shit they always do.

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
That article states that Dr Fauci testified via zoom? It's one of the biggest most unsecure pile of shit. God our government sucks at security.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
techcrunch.com

U.S. House approves remote voting, though the tech is unclear | TechCrunch

Congress will allow remote voting for the first time in its history, after the U.S. House approved Resolution 965 late Friday in response to the

lawandcrime.com

COVID-19 Outbreak Could Derail Amy Coney Barrett Nomination | Law & Crime

The careening course of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak at the White House is threatening to tear a multiple-senator-sized hole right through Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) best laid plans for the Supreme Court.

According to the Rules of Procedure of the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, the GOP likely does not have a quorum that can move Barrett's nomination onto the floor of the Senate because two out of the three COVID-19 subtractions–Senators Lee and Tillis–are members of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Per those rules [emphasis added]:

Seven Members of the Committee, actually present, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of discussing business. Nine Members of the Committee, including at least two Members of the minority, shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of transacting business. No bill, matter, or nomination shall be ordered reported from the Committee, however, unless a majority of the Committee is actually present at the time such action is taken and a majority of those present support the action taken.

While the Senate has conducted remote committee hearings due to the ongoing pandemic as of late, the Judiciary Committee rules state that members must be "actually present" and in "support" to advance a nomination. Were Democrats to actually play hard ball with Barrett's nomination using procedural methods, a Democratic senator could make a "quorum call" or other parliamentary inquiry to delay the process and potentially win on the merits. Also, notably, McConnell has expressly rejected remote and proxy voting in the past–and there are currently no Senate rules in effect that allow for remote voting on the floor.

Senators need to be in person for SC confirmations. No remote meetings.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dying to kill Obamacare
I feel like I know the answer but

What the fuck is the GOP healthcare plan anyway. I know the replies will be like "dont get sick" "if you die you die"

but is there actually a CONCRETE or even FRAMEWORK of what their vision for healthcare is? I mean Obamacare is basically a republican healthcare plan anyway. (Romney's plan from mass)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

hope i'm wrong though
The Dems have a fatal weakness of caring about people and will waste their shot to pack the courts if they win in November by trying to save the country.

Its a nice advantage for Republicans not giving any fucks.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I know the answer but

What the fuck is the GOP healthcare plan anyway. I know the replies will be like "dont get sick" "if you die you die"

but is there actually a CONCRETE or even FRAMEWORK of what their vision for healthcare is? I mean Obamacare is basically a republican healthcare plan anyway. (Romney's plan from mass)
Their vision is to make insurance companies happy