• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What does it cost you to extend an olive branch to people like him besides your pride?
What are you afraid might happen?
I'm sorry but what olive branch? HStallion isn't in charge of this dude's destiny. Either he wants to change or he doesn't. Either he actually wants to no longer contribute to his bigoted party or he doesn't. His exit from the party shouldn't be dependent on the amount of people willing to congratulate him for doing so on the other side.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
People normally don't go out of their way to admit they were terrible and you shouldn't expect them to.

This Republican is a potential ally and you're not going to get a better one from the GOP in the near future.
Being smart is more important than being right in these situations and the smart thing to do is to unite againt the current administration.
I think that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who hates how polarized American politics has become than I am so I'm not making that statement lightly. I've worked in a majority conservative environment for twenty years and I've watched slowly as my co-workers have veered farther and farther into right wing ideology and I've tried my best to warn them against the dangers of what they were becoming but the modern GOP encouraged it and held their hands the entire way down into this pit.

I'm wary of these kinds of "allies" because this one especially seems to be more upset that the mask has been torn off of his party than the cumulative damage they've done to our society.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but what olive branch? Either he wants to change or he doesn't. Either he actually wants to no longer contribute to his bigoted party or he doesn't. His exit from the party shouldn't be dependent on the amount of people willing to congratulate him for doing so on the other side.
If it were, would you be willing to congratulate him?
And not just him, but Republican voters willing to speak up against this administration and maybe even help vote it out but too proud to admit they were part of the problem?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
You're more than welcome to start a civil war if you think that'll be easier. You'd have my full support.
Is that a threat? Like what the hell dude.

Trump supporters are already committing mass murder now in the name of Trump. Are we just supposed to hope they run out of racist murderous rage after the 10,000th mass shooting?

We need to face this shit for what it is. No, it doesn't require "CIVIL WAR!!". There is somewhere in between being more aggressive and all out war. Being afraid of doing the hard thing will ensure that this country continues to tumble into the hot hell we are currently inhabiting. Stop worrying about hurt feelings, they are literally killing us.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to say your expectations are unrealistic.

My expectations are that the GOP is a party of the absolute worst elements of America and one dude crying out agaisnt the bigotry is the exception proving the rule about the GOP. He had decades to make this point but held it back till his party was openly and proudly bigoted. Waiting till the house burns down to call the fire department ain't doing much.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because Dems want to change the outcome in the next ellection. Hopefully without starting a civil war.

If Dems start a "civil war" because they are pushing that bigotry, misogyny and caging children at the border are unacceptable period and not up for debate then you are pointing that wagging finger in the wrong direction.

You think you're being slick, you're not. You're MO is far from subtle and not new.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I should say that I am glad to see the rare party member speak out against the party. IF the party was more like this guy, at the very least, Trump wouldn't be president, but, it's just not.

If this guy really wants to make a difference he'd stop voting Republican and come out against the party of bigotry. This isn't some NEW problem, and that the issue I take with people like this guy here, this has always been the party in the modern times.

I don't know, maybe he is just NOW seeing it, and if that's the case, I hope he realizes he is no longer welcome in his party and he leaves it. I mean clearly, the party told him as much.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Question is can you bring a few of them to your side.
giphy.gif

Seriously. What will it take to get through to you? Victory does not lie in convincing shitty people to be less shitty. It never has and it never will.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
If it were, would you be willing to congratulate him?
And not just him, but Republican voters willing to speak up against this administration and maybe even help vote it out but too proud to admit they were part of the problem?
I mean if they were too proud to admit they were wrong then I'm not going to force them to but I genuinely don't have anything to say to such a person rather than "thanks for coming to your senses, I guess". If they want more, that's fine but they're not gonna get it from me. I don't consider baseline empathy and self-awareness praiseworthy and I don't consider that a fault.

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a threat? Like what the hell dude.

Trump supporters are already committing mass murder now in the name or Trump. Are we just supposed to hope they run out of racist murderous rage after the 10,000th mass shooting?

We need to face this shit for what it is. No, it doesn't require "CIVIL WAR!!". There is somewhere in between being more aggressive and all out war. Being afraid of doing the hard thing will ensure that this country continues to tumble into the hot hell we are currently inhabiting. Stop worrying about hurt feelings, they are literally killing us.

Not meant as a threat in the slightest and I'm terribly sorry if it came out like that.

The reason I said it was because the same argument about the GOP and Trump voters that keeps coming up is that they're simply deplorables and there's no changing that.

If that's the case we're talking about a huge percentage of the population that will never just go away (at least not in the foreseeable future) even if they lose an election once in a while.

So how do you deal with such a divide in ideology within the current democratic framework? To me it seems like a logical dead end...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My expectations are that the GOP is a party of the absolute worst elements of America and one dude crying out agaisnt the bigotry is the exception proving the rule about the GOP. He had decades to make this point but held it back till his party was openly and proudly bigoted. Waiting till the house burns down to call the fire department ain't doing much.

What decades? This is his first term. Some people in this thread aren't making any sense at all.

Oct 26, 2017
If Dems start a "civil war" because they are pushing that bigotry, misogyny and caging children at the border are unacceptable period and not up for debate then you are pointing that wagging finger in the wrong direction.

You think you're being slick, you're not. You're MO is far from subtle and not new.
Wait... What do you think my MO is?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
GOP went to full
As a Nebraskan, it's nice to see every Republican in the state isn't completely batshit insane. That response isn't a surprise.
He's probably gonna get primaried now because of this.
Hopefully, behind the voting booth curtain, republicans like this are just voting blue for the 2020 election. If they aren't then these sort of tweets are wind out his ass.
I'm trying to get my dad to just stay home. No way he'll ever vote for a Democrat, not even gonna bring that up to him.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, I'm not so sure. I definitely don't think that the global increase of authoritarianism/far-right nationalism/Neo-Fascism is linked directly to Donald Trump's ascendancy to the office of U.S. President, though his rise has assuredly also increased the trending of these movements around the world.

I think it's more that we are in the middle of a technological, communications, and climate revolution.

Timothy Snyder, Professor of History at Yale on Cyberfascism:

The late Neil Postman, the former Chair of the Communications department at NYU on Technopoly:
Neil Postman on C-SPAN's BookTV, 1992

Good video, thanks.
The complexity of technology has been unmanaged with respect to the public, whether through education, personal knowledge-provision tools, or types of regulation.

Or maybe I should say that other people have decided to manage how much of it we see, out of convenience (or to reduce stress). Business models have appeared to enable this. With these come political agendas, or goals at least.

It's an abstraction of the many things going on in the world, which invites interpretation and excess over the truth.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you arent wrong

We are truly and royally fucked

To be clear, I think it's possible to change the hearts and minds of many Americans more towards pluralism.

It's not going to be quick or easy but it is possible. And the starting point has to be acknowledging that these people have formed their current opinions as a result of pervasive external influence rather than being born evil. And that external influences can be changed.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I think it's possible to change the hearts and minds of many Americans more towards pluralism.

It's not going to be quick or easy but it is possible. And the starting point has to be acknowledging that these people have formed their current opinions as a result of pervasive external influence rather than being born evil. And that external influences can be changed.

I wish i harbored that optimism. I suppose ill share it even if we see small ripples of hope over time

But right now its very messy and looking to get worse before it gets better

We need a lot more voices.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I of course am not suggesting that all Republicans are white supremacists nor am I saying that the average Republican is even racist."

kind of a distinction without a difference, you have all achieved the same thing, congratulations
you don't get to separate yourself from this, you ain't special.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
There is certainly some side-eye for speaking up just now.

Like if you haven't been delusional this whole time, then why did you keep your mouth shut for 3 years.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not all Republicans are Trump supporters...its sad they seem to have no voice in the leadership.
Semi offtopic but pertinent to the coming election, not all democrats are biden supporters either, and yet we ALSO seemingly have little to no voice in our candidate.
The system somehow finds a way to fuck us all.
What was the South Park thing? The choice is between a shit sandwich and a douche?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah there's def been a tipping point. I mean you can just look at cable news and debates 10-20 years ago and it was very Civil.

We went from republicans passing environmental regulations, to discussing policies on amnesty, to McCain shutting down a racist supporter question about Obama being an Arab.... to the Trump GOP.

Honestly I have no doubt that many Republican candidates in their heart do not necessarily harbor that hate... but they know it appeals to their base and so they either tolerate it or use it to selfishly stay in power.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Holy fuck, they're not even doing the usual suspiciously-vehement-denial thing they always do when someone calls them on their racist white-supremacist BS.

They actually, seriously, didn't even bother wearing that mask this time. No refuting his points whatsoever, just straight-up "yeah well you can just go join the Democrats if you don't like our Nazi-enabling shit".

Trump and his ilk have empowered these scumbags so thoroughly it's unreal. I've never seen such a dropping of pretenses like that before in a political response...and it probably won't be the last time we see this happen either.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! I remember for a time you were insistent to remain Republican. Hopefully Trump has shown enough people the realities of the Republican party that the election goes very well for Democrats next year.

I mean I voted for McCain, possibly Romney as well I don't remember, it wasn't that long ago I was Republican myself.

Yep ditto. Grew up Republican from Texas but cannot stand for what it has become. Rotten to the core, makes me sad. I know I will get no sympathy on here but it really wasn't all that long ago it wasn't like this. Pre 9/11, pre Columbine :(

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's also a completely pointless conversation because for every one person like this in the party, there are 9 that aren't. Look at polling. 90% of the party support Trump and all he does.

So I WILL generalize the party. Do you want me to admit this guy is perhaps less racially motivated in their vote than most of the party? Sure, I'll give him that. He's still an enabler until he stops voting for it.

He wants the party to change, but, it won't, and he'll vote for the party again. And guess what, in typical Republican fashion he'll either retire or recant all of this in the near future because we have example after example of exactly that happening.
The only example we have a Republican denouncing Trump AFTER he won the presidency left the party instead of recanting. If we are to take your analysis at face value anyone who is willing to call out the GOP at this point isn't going to take back their words.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest culprit is that tribalism and vying for power is what leads what would be "good" republicans to just keep their heads down and tolerate Trump. Speaking out against him is not a popular thing to do among their voters. But I'd bet a lot of them wish they could.

Theres unfortunately too many people willing to turn a blind eye to stay in power.

It extends to the voters too. So many of them are willing to tolerate his idiocy and racism because hey, at least its not some liberal in Washington

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The only example we have a Republican denouncing Trump AFTER he won the presidency left the party instead of recanting. If we are to take your analysis at face value anyone who is willing to call out the GOP at this point isn't going to take back their words.
I was talking more about the Republicans that end up saying these things either right before their term ends or right after. Basically once they no longer have to face the wrath of the party, then they open up. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out this guy wants out.

Also you can't tell me there aren't many examples of Republicans saying something almost half decent, and then recanting. They do it all the time. Maybe not denouncing Trump specifically.

But I mean your point is taken, they are almost all completely trash, that rarely go against the party in any way, glad we agree.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is worse than a denial by the Republican Party, that is an acceptance of what he says as truth.

It's kinda like how Fox News inadvertently called Trump racist and hateful.

Obama released a statement saying something about how we have to condemn speech from leaders that feed a climate of fear and hared or normalizes racist sentiments. He never mentions Trump or anyone by name.

But Fox News hosts immediately call out it was about Trump, and begin defending him saying that Bush never called out Obama for Sandy Hook (missing the point entirely)

Colbert nailed it https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/1158918019495727105

"It's like somone saying "Whoever is shitting on my lawn really has to stop" and your neighbor saying "Hey! you can't prove I did that!"

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Some of the posters here I am incredibly glad are not in charge of any messaging from the Democratic Party or any liberal groups.

I'll put it that way.

A Republican calling out white supremacy sounds like career suicide.

To not is the death of the party.

The seat, any seat, even a US Senate seat, is worth less than allowing this to stand.

So the bloodbath would continue. Corker, Flake, Sanford, Amash, that guy from Iowa, those 12-odd ones from Kansas, and now him (and probably more).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Some of the posters here I am incredibly glad are not in charge of any messaging from the Democratic Party or any liberal groups.

I'll put it that way.

The seat, any seat, even a US Senate seat, is worth less than allowing this to stand.

So the bloodbath would continue. Corker, Flake, Sanford, Amash, that guy from Iowa, those 12-odd ones from Kansas, and now him (and probably more).
LOL you think the party is just flirting with white supremacy? The fucking party is white supremacy. It's built into the core of its DNA. This guy ain't pulling the party back from the brink, he's just peaking his head out so the party can abandon him. The time to abandon was a long fucking time ago, the time to course-correct was a long fucking time ago. They can push all the same horrific rhetoric, cushioned in a smile, but it'll be the same shit.

The party isn't going to be cured once Trump is gone. This isn't a movie where the machine turns off, and everyone turns normal again. Trump's administration has demonstrated just how fucking much this party can get away with without needing to hide its intent. All the next Republican leader has to do is have a moderate composure and not scream like an idiot on Twitter, and people will act like "sense" has once again returned to the party. The same useless apathetic motherfuckers who had to be galvanized into putting out this fire will go back to smugly acting above-it-all, too checked-out to acknowledge just how fundamentally damaged the foundations are in the aftermath.

And this isn't just Trump. Fascistic right wing rhetoric is on the rise everywhere, globally. Even the Democratic Party, the sole opposition to this madness in America, is so fucking incapable of firmly deciding if they're going to actively fight this ideology or simply be just be self-serving enough to cash-in on peoples' demand for change.

This guy wants to play conscientious objector? Go right ahead. It's clearly not what his base called for though, and soon enough, he'll be thrown to the curb.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
See the thing is, he already knows about the white supremacist groups moving to the north west in order to take a foothold in oregon, east washington and idaho. If someone pushes something like, oh let's say, gun control, and they mobilize into a full on milita, Nebraska is the first one up for expansion.

He needs to nip it in the bud now because he knows he's directly in the path of that hate train.

Eh...being mealy mouthed and saying, "oh white supremecy is just the worst" while giving a wink to the camera has worked out for decades for some of these people.

Morally, yes, I agree.

But that's the thing, these people ain't moral. They've twisted their morality into thinking that white jesus will absolve them of their sins as they reenact manifest destiny in order to make america great again.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, because it's hard to keep track, is there anyone currently sitting in the senate that was part of the KKK? There were...5 that I knew of, and I know 4 of them died, but is anyone left?

seldead

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Things are looking pretty dire for traditional political methods as a means to solve what's happening I think. The Democrats are definitely not as well equipped to handle this situation as they should be, but it's also an incredibly difficult & complex situation.

The big thing is, and I learned this by being in a live-in relationship with someone with (more than likely, but I'm not a professional psychologist) Narcissistic Personality Disorder, is that the NPD sociopaths want their opposition to step into the pit with them. They want the escalation and shit-fight, because pigs thrive in their mud. With a relationship with a person like this, typically, the most pragmatic and best solution is to totally disengage and flee the situation, severing all ties immediately. But with this being the dynamic of United States politics due to the White Nationalist, Neo-Fascist Narcissistic Personality Disorder sociopath that is Donald J. Trump being elevated to the position of President, the reasonable decent people who are trapped opposed don't really have the option of flight.

So what this means is, it's going to get worse because the United States didn't do its job to begin with by not denying Donald to be elevated.

Edit: And the longer that the NPD/sociopathy/fascism remains elevated and enabled, the more mutated and corrupted those opposed will become.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you." - Nietzche

On the other hand my father is diagnosed with Narcissist Personality Disorder (you know, like, by an actual psychiatrist) and yet he's avoidant of conflict and doesn't display any confrontational behaviour at all.

It's almost as if people are complex and made up of more than just your stereotyped view of their mental health disorders. Not every person with NPD is a fascist or a pig.

I love how resetera is so against mental health shaming as an excuse for behaviour until it's a personality disorder they don't understand.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
LOL you think the party is just flirting with white supremacy? The fucking party is white supremacy. It's built into the core of its DNA. This guy ain't pulling the party back from the brink, he's just peaking his head out so the party can abandon him. The time to abandon was a long fucking time ago, the time to course-correct was a long fucking time ago. They can push all the same horrific rhetoric, cushioned in a smile, but it'll be the same shit.

The party isn't going to be cured once Trump is gone. This isn't a movie where the machine turns off, and everyone turns normal again. Trump's administration has demonstrated just how fucking much this party can get away with without needing to hide its intent. All the next Republican leader has to do is have a moderate composure and not scream like an idiot on Twitter, and people will act like "sense" has once again returned to the party. The same useless apathetic motherfuckers who had to be galvanized into putting out this fire will go back to smugly acting above-it-all, too checked-out to acknowledge just how fundamentally damaged the foundations are in the aftermath.

And this isn't just Trump. Fascistic right wing rhetoric is on the rise everywhere, globally. Even the Democratic Party, the sole opposition to this madness in America, is so fucking incapable of firmly deciding if they're going to actively fight this ideology or simply be just be self-serving enough to cash-in on peoples' demand for change.

This guy wants to play conscientious objector? Go right ahead. It's clearly not what his base called for though, and soon enough, he'll be thrown to the curb.

This is known, yes. Now, what are we doing with that information?

See the thing is, he already knows about the white supremacist groups moving to the north west in order to take a foothold in oregon, east washington and idaho. If someone pushes something like, oh let's say, gun control, and they mobilize into a full on milita, Nebraska is the first one up for expansion.

He needs to nip it in the bud now because he knows he's directly in the path of that hate train.

Eh...being mealy mouthed and saying, "oh white supremecy is just the worst" while giving a wink to the camera has worked out for decades for some of these people.

Morally, yes, I agree.

But that's the thing, these people ain't moral. They've twisted their morality into thinking that white jesus will absolve them of their sins as they reenact manifest destiny in order to make america great again.

I was talking from the GOPs perspective. Of control over the factions that want to flee either out of morals or fear of punishment now that more Rubicons have been crossed. They lose that fear and everything falls apart, and its more than political power at stake for them.

Aug 27, 2018
Currently live in Nebraska, this dude is cool but we also have Sass. Sass will come out and SAY he's opposed to the shit the GOP is up to but when it comes time to vote he falls in line like the rest of the republicans.