• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wish the democrats were as good at attacking the right wing of their party as the republicans have been at attacking the furthest left of theirs

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No kidding, this guy actually seems like a reasonable moderate Republican that's kind of a rare breed these days.

Though, really, he's not gonna be primaried that easily if he's been around for long enough and his track record speaks for himself. Dude was elected in 2014, after all, he would've been re-elected multiple times since then.

Senate seats are six year terms. He's only been elected once.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Good on him for calling it out. "Telling it like it is," as the Republicans are so fond of saying.

And there's nothing astounding about their response. It's expected. They're a shithole party full of racists, misogynists, homophobes, and everything in between.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As a former Republican, I took their advice and switched parties.

Haven't looked back since.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
That response is admission of guilt. If you're going to accuse him of being a turncoat - don't do it over him calling out racism. What a bad look...

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

Senator McCollister@SenMcCollister

In light of my recent comments, the Nebraska Republican Party issued a statement. Did they join me in identifying and condemning obvious racism and duplicity inside of our party?

Sadly no.

They instead encouraged me to leave the party. My response:

No https://twitter.com/NEGOP/status/1158511017351155713 …

I am a lifelong Republican and this current version of the Republican Party does not resemble the party I once knew. I reject the notion that ALL Republicans agree with the rhetoric coming out of the Trump administration.

I will continue to speak out and encourage my fellow Republicans to do so as well.

3:24 PM - Aug 6, 2019

While I appreciate him for trying to fight the current climate in his party he's also kind of full of shit when he acts like Trump just emerged out of the ether. Trump is just the culmination of 4 decades of right wing propaganda so if you're a lifelong Republican you helped him happen, even if indirectly.

Diya

Oct 27, 2017
Underworld
People have been saying we need a third party.

You'll need a Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Party. A Multi-party system works well in Western Democracies and will at least give people more options and (hopefully) get more voters engaged.

Sadly the First Past the Post/Winner takes all system prevents a Multi-party system from arising in the US.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Josh Hawley strikes me as an extremely sinister person with an unfortunately long life in politics ahead of him.

He views white nationalism as the present and future of the Republican party and isn't afraid to be forthright about it. He advocates for it without the crassness of Trump. But instead makes intellectual arguments for it, and that is freaking scary.

He's a smart Trump.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
As a former Republican, I took their advice and switched parties.

Haven't looked back since.
Nice! I remember for a time you were insistent to remain Republican. Hopefully Trump has shown enough people the realities of the Republican party that the election goes very well for Democrats next year.

I mean I voted for McCain, possibly Romney as well I don't remember, it wasn't that long ago I was Republican myself.

Oct 26, 2017
While I appreciate him for trying to fight the current climate in his party he's also kind of full of shit when he acts like Trump just emerged out of the ether. Trump is just the culmination of 4 decades of right wing propaganda so if you're a lifelong Republican you helped him happen, even if indirectly.
People normally don't go out of their way to admit they were terrible and you shouldn't expect them to.

This Republican is a potential ally and you're not going to get a better one from the GOP in the near future.
Being smart is more important than being right in these situations and the smart thing to do is to unite againt the current administration.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
a republican senator acts moderately and decries bigotry within the party, imploring everyone to be better

the GOP: "lol fuck off you lib"

it's come to the point that anyone decent left will either be purged or too disgusted to stick around, all while the race to the bottom nativists pretend to be the voice of non-partisan reason of course. this all started back with sarah palin and the tea party I swear

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Why does everyone keep saying that this press release is some admission of guilt? It clearly claims his statement as false along with telling him to switch parties because of his other liberal views.

I'm not defending the Republican party, but I feel like everyone is barking up the wrong tree here. Read the release before jumping on the bandwagon. There are better fights elsewhere and focusing on this by misrepresenting it can only do more damage to the left.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This. I'm not gonna praise this guy. He's staying in the party, he probably voted for Trump. Probably will again if he's a "lifelong Republican". He probably supports all the shitty policies of the GOP including anti-abortion, stacking the Supreme Court with rapists, anti-LGBT and anti-immigration police states. The problem with people like this is just that Trump is too loud with his rhetoric, not the rhetoric itself.

If you are still a Republican today, voting for ANY Republican you are very much complicit. There are no "good" Republicans.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda scary how racist/easily brainwashed half of america is when it's easier to win elections as a racist than a moderate.

Like, I have always thought if the republican party pivoted and was about fiscal responsibility, but was more tolerant and liberal on some social issues, they would win a super majority all the time.

Now it's becoming increasingly clear that they have figured out that you can stoke fear and hate to win.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
Why does everyone keep saying that this press release is some admission of guilt? It clearly claims his statement as false along with telling him to switch parties because of his other liberal views.

I'm not defending the Republican party, but I feel like everyone is barking up the wrong tree here. Read the release before jumping on the bandwagon. There are better fights elsewhere and focusing on this by misrepresenting it can only do more damage to the left.

How did NEGOP try to refute what he said?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Absolutely.

Trump's presidency is a direct result of the never ending racist rhetoric from the GOP and the majority of conservatives during Obama's 8 years. Not to mention the decades of Republicans running on a racist platform leading up to that.

FUCK. THEM.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

There is only a reference to "false statements" without laying out what is false about them or any defense of their actions, preceded by a smearing of the man's voting record saying he must be a liberal Democrat.

That's a pretty weak attempt to refute anything he says.

As to those saying we shouldn't ever forgive the guy, I'm incredibly confused looking at his voting record as well as just Nebraska politics in general. He has not voted along party lines all that consistently, and the guy he replaced has switched between Republican and Democrat a few times and is now a Democrat. I'm just gonna admit to knowing nothing about Nebraska politics or its voters.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
But you have a republican senator who is the subject of this thread who obviously isn't a racist. Please stop painting all people with such a wide brush.
Tell the people that Trump targets that there is a HUGE difference between somebody that voted for Trump because of racism and somebody that voted for Trump that decided other issues were more important than racism and were ok if it happened, knowing it would.

He enables it with his vote. He's a racist. He can leave the party if he doesn't want to be thought of as one.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's kinda scary how racist/easily brainwashed half of america is when it's easier to win elections as a racist than a moderate.
Plus a large percentage of the other half who don't do anything about it or don't even care enough to vote. It adds up to hundred of millions of americans who enable racism.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It might be good to try and find and encourage people like this
Cycle will just repeat it's self, since people like this Senator don't see anything inherently wrong with the Republican Party and conservatism in America. It's exclusively built around systematic racism, xenophobia, anti-feminism, GUNZ, climate denial, and propping up the rich/corporations at any cost. In my lifetime I've rarely seen the Republican Party do ANYTHING that wasn't built around those core tenants. They are a cancer and literally do nothing positive for this nation.

If you are a Republican you are the reason this country fucking sucks.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This is the definition of party over country. Someone in your party not falling in line? Call them out and call them names, in this case - a democrat.....

I hate the GOP.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Cycle will just repeat it's self, since people like this Senator don't see anything inherently wrong with the Republican Party and conservatism in America. It's exclusively built around systematic racism, xenophobia, anti-feminism, GUNZ, climate denial, and propping up the rich/corporations at any cost. In my lifetime I've rarely seen the Republican Party do ANYTHING that wasn't built around those core tenants. They are a cancer and literally do nothing positive for this nation.

If you are a Republican you are the reason this country fucking sucks.
True, but I think as a stop-gap measure it would be a start.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From a post-WWII, 20th century, historical, realistic perspective, I agree with you. The problem is, a large number of Americans don't live in reality, they live in delusion. And they are being increasingly radicalized and emboldened.

But not only that, I think that the issues that are facing mankind-at-large, not just within the context of partisan American politics (climate change, automation, advance in A.I., mass communication/information technology & the extreme proliferation of computer machinery) means that violence as political solution to perceived ills (real or imaginary) is likely.

But like I said, I hope you are right and that people can sort things out in a reasoned, intelligent, non-violent manner. But, I don't have much confidence. We are in the midst of radical change on so many levels, and looking at human history beyond just the context of Western culture and the status quo of post-WWII, mankind reacts in a way that isn't reasonable, rational, intelligent, and non-violent. It may not be just Civil War 2.0, but I do think that there is going to be increased violence.

Edit - And I also agree with you that I should spend more time away from the internet. It is one of my worst addictions, no doubt about it.

Nothing wrong with what you've said here.

As a foreign observer to all this, I'm waiting for objective conversation between the Republicans and Democrats, but it seems that the Republicans can't even discuss issues between themselves... As for the Democrats, I am waiting for a unique selling point from them, rather than just being the anti-discrimination party.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
He views white nationalism as the present and future of the Republican party and isn't afraid to be forthright about it. He also advocates for it without the crassness of Trump. He makes intellectual arguments for it, and that is freaking scary.

I'm guessing that you've read his recent speed at the National Conservatism Conference. It echos what you're saying here. There are dog whistles in there so finely crafted that they actually almost get you believing that he cares about everyone in America.

Almost.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of democrats here seem to be unsatisfied with merely defeating the GOP in 2020 and instead believe that obliterating them is the only acceptable outcome.

Please remember that Hillary lost in no small part because of a similar mindset.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Tell the people that Trump targets that there is a HUGE difference between somebody that voted for Trump because of racism and somebody that voted for Trump that decided other issues were more important than racism and were ok if it happened, knowing it would.

He enables it with his vote. He's a racist. He can leave the party if he doesn't want to be thought of as one.
The guy literally put his career on the line to call out the racism seething through his party. The dude is a republican but he's not a racist. Stop moving to a whatabout type argument and see that painting all republicans as one thing or democrats as another is a toxic and un-constructive addition to the conversation.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The guy literally put his career on the line to call out the racism seething through his party. The dude is a republican but he's not a racist. Stop moving to a whatabout type argument and see that painting all republicans as one thing or democrats as another is a toxic and un-constructive addition to the conversation.
While it's great that he's pushing back against his conditioning, it doesn't erase the generations and generations of the Republican party making it a point to push legislation that harms the disenfranchised and block efforts to progress the nation and promote equality. The party wasn't a neutral blank slate when this senator chose to identify as a Republican and participate in pushing their politics. The goals of the Republican party as a political group out to maintain oppression were crystal clear back when his parents were in diapers. How he personally wants to identity is separate from the actions he chooses to be a part of as a republican politician. I hope he changes but 90% of his coworkers take donations from the NRA to create the political and social environment where bigots can get guns and slaughter their "enemies". Addressing that shit is putting his career on the line. This is just the bare minimum.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

It's also a completely pointless conversation because for every one person like this in the party, there are 9 that aren't. Look at polling. 90% of the party support Trump and all he does.

So I WILL generalize the party. Do you want me to admit this guy is perhaps less racially motivated in their vote than most of the party? Sure, I'll give him that. He's still an enabler until he stops voting for it.

He wants the party to change, but, it won't, and he'll vote for the party again. And guess what, in typical Republican fashion he'll either retire or recant all of this in the near future because we have example after example of exactly that happening.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Tell me one good policy that's come out of the Republican Party.

The party is built around hurting others and the planet. Republicans are inherently doing the wrong thing and have been for decades.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair he is a bit late to the party here

Trump was openly awful even before the campaign announcement with the damn birther conspiracy

Its truly amazing how much was tolerable to these courageous moderates before they finally broke

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, behind the voting booth curtain, republicans like this are just voting blue for the 2020 election. If they aren't then these sort of tweets are wind out his ass.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
To be fair he is a bit late to the party here

Trump was openly awful even before the campaign announcement with the damn birther conspiracy

Its truly amazing how much was tolerable to these courageous moderates before they finally broke
Right and the Republican party has always behaved in racist ways. The difference is, Trump is bringing it out in the open as opposed to letting them do the dirty work behind the scenes.

This guy might not think of himself as a racist, hell most of White America doesn't, but, you can bet your ass they'll keep voting for it. They want to go back to the more dog whistle Republican days, where they can hurt Minorities and say it's because of taxes, and not the color of their skin.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you have a republican senator who is the subject of this thread who obviously isn't a racist. Please stop painting all people with such a wide brush.

He's a moderate member of a long time bigoted party that is heading into straight up hatred at breakneck speed. This is like saying they were only soldiers fighting for the Nazis and not actually murderous bigots themselves.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of democrats here seem to be unsatisfied with merely defeating the GOP in 2020 and instead believe that obliterating them is the only acceptable outcome.

Please remember that Hillary lost in no small part because of a similar mindset.

Their platform is literally about bigotry, funneling money to top percent,tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies, guns for all, keep the Muslims and other brown people out, fuck the LGBT community, fuck PoC and has been low key white nationalism for decades. That's their basic platform, what exactly is worth saving there? And why exactly is the democrats onus to save them? Why is everything put on the Dems shoulders?

Oct 26, 2017
He's a moderate member of a long time bigoted party that is heading into straight up hatred at breakneck speed. This is like saying they were only soldiers fighting for the Nazis and not actually murderous bigots themselves.
What does it cost you to extend an olive branch to people like him besides your pride?
What are you afraid might happen?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does it cost you to extend an olive branch to people like him besides your pride?
What are you afraid might happen?

I don't want an olive branch from someone only speaking up now. We needed an olive branch a few decades ago. Now it's just pissing and moaning that your party is to openly bigoted after decades of being deceptively bigoted.

Oct 26, 2017
Their platform is literally about bigotry, funneling money to top percent,tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies, guns for all, keep the Muslims and other brown people out, fuck the LGBT community, fuck PoC and has been low key white nationalism for decades. That's their basic platform, what exactly is worth saving there? And why exactly is the democrats onus to save them? Why is everything put on the Dems shoulders?

Because Dems want to change the outcome in the next ellection. Hopefully without starting a civil war.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Because it's easier than accepting that some friends, family, and a large percentage of people in this country are full fledged fascists.