• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

BREAKING: US CUSTOMS & BORDER PROTECTION NATIONALLY HAVE BEEN ORDERED TO DETAIN & "REPORT" ALL IRANIANS ENTERING THE COUNTRY DEEMED POTENTIALLY SUSPICIOUS OR "ADVERSARIAL" REGARDLESS OF CITIZENSHIP STATUS. 60+ Iranis held last night at the US/Canada border for 11+ hrs / thread

American citizens and lawful residents of Iranian decent are being detained and questioned for long hours at US borders, according to multiple sources.

URGENT: we are hearing credible reports of detentions at US borders, both of Iranian Americans and permanent residents. We are working to independently verify, coordinating with lawmakers & allies. If you have information please share it directly with us at [email protected]

We will probably get more details later today.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this self inflicted unforced error is now reality.

99.9%of Iranian immigrants are just people who prefer this country to their own for any number of reasons from salary to family to education to opportunity. In short they're "good" Iranians (or "Persians" if they're LA doctors...)

That 99.9% is now suffering for an extremely unlikely possibility that we created for no good reason.

There are spies and hackers though and now we have to consider potential saboteurs because we effectively painted the Iranian leadership into that very corner.

Apparently the assassination was the most extreme option from a large list and of course Trump picked it. I am also assuming he saw a ranked list instead of a carefully curated list to stop him doing exactly this shit. His advisors should know better but he's slowly eliminated all the borderline smart people to save him and us from his worst instincts.

Feb 1, 2018
This wont last long. Iranian american citizens have a lot of money and influence- most of them are lawyers, businesspeople, landlords, etc. heads finna roll, this'll go to the courts.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
This is one the main reason I hate the xyz-american thing being a thing in US. It was one of most stupid idea ever created...

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
My therapist is a second gen iranian american. This really upsets me. Fuck this administration.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the assassination was the most extreme option from a large list and of course Trump picked it. I am also assuming he saw a ranked list instead of a carefully curated list to stop him doing exactly this shit. His advisors should know better but he's slowly eliminated all the borderline smart people to save him and us from his worst instincts

I'm guessing Putin suggested this course of action to him a long time ago.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, Iranian citizens are probably some of the most anti-Iran people in the US since the ones I've known came to this country in the 1970s when the Shah of Iran was overthrown. Like literally the last people you'd want to hassle about anything.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It's pretty easy to see how this works, if you're a brown/black American you're not really American and your loyalty is automatically in question. Just like how you can run a campaign on the basis of saying America isn't great but minorities can't aren't allowed to say the same without being labelled as treasonous.

I really want to know what's going to happen to CBP/ICE going forward once we get rid of Trump. I can't see how they can be allowed to remain a federal organization after carrying out Trump's racist doctrine for four years.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A majority of Iranian Americans are probably Trump supporting Republicans ironically. In LA anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is not good, showed up on my timeline today, I can't confirm The veracity
Of this report.

(SEATTLE, WA, 1/5/20) – The Washington state chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-WA) is assisting more than 60 Iranians and Iranian-Americans of all ages who were detained at length and questioned at the Peace Arch Border Crossing in Blaine, Wash.

Many more were reportedly refused entry to the United States due to a lack of capacity for Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) to detain them.

Other Iranian-Americans are about to cross the Peace Arch Border as they return back to their homes in the United States from an Iranian pop concert that was taking place on Saturday in Vancouver, Canada.

Those detained reported that their passports were confiscated and they were questioned about their political views and allegiances. CBP officials contacted at the Blaine Port of Entry provided no comment or reasons for the detentions.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, Iranian citizens are probably some of the most anti-Iran people in the US since the ones I've known came to this country in the 1970s when the Shah of Iran was overthrown. Like literally the last people you'd want to hassle about anything.

Yeah, everyone I know that Iranian are very anti-the Iranian government.

This administration has sadly made it a point to purposefully repeat the terrible things past administrations have done.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Amazing that anybody thinks a Communist revolution could somehow be worse than the current hellscape.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My cousins are Iranian. Nothing to report so far, but they had plans to travel and are currently reconsidering.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
More of the normalization of Trump. In 2017 the original Muslim ban caused spontaneous protests. Now this incident is barely a blip on the radar to many people.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
More of the normalization of Trump. In 2017 the original Muslim ban caused spontaneous protests. Now this incident is barely a blip on the radar to many people.

The 2017 Muslim Ban occurred all over the country as thousands of people found themselves stranded all over in airports where it was easy for people to rally to them as news about it exploded. Here on the other hand are varying reports of a few people here and there being detained for extra questioning and then being released on their way with the most prominent area apparently being a place in Washington where the questioning occurred overnight and supposedly no one is still even being detained.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Putin is allies with Iran, not all roads lead to Putin ffs.

If this is the case, what are the odds that this all settles down because Putin calls Trump and just tells him "Sit. Down. Roll over," and he suddenly declares Iran is friends with the USA and it was all a big misunderstanding?

I mean, if Putin has Trump under his thumb anyway, couldn't one phone call just make this all go away?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately this self inflicted unforced error is now reality.

99.9%of Iranian immigrants are just people who prefer this country to their own for any number of reasons from salary to family to education to opportunity. In short they're "good" Iranians (or "Persians" if they're LA doctors...)

That 99.9% is now suffering for an extremely unlikely possibility that we created for no good reason.

There are spies and hackers though and now we have to consider potential saboteurs because we effectively painted the Iranian leadership into that very corner.

Apparently the assassination was the most extreme option from a large list and of course Trump picked it. I am also assuming he saw a ranked list instead of a carefully curated list to stop him doing exactly this shit. His advisors should know better but he's slowly eliminated all the borderline smart people to save him and us from his worst instincts.

Spies and bad people exist for all groups. This is bigotry

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
There was probably not a "directive" but a nudge nudge make sure to quadruple check their credentials before letting them back in and use whatever excuse you need to to tell them to justify the delay.

So a directive but there's no paper trail.