• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 28, 2020
does anyone here have a SILENT ps5? Wondering if it doesnt matter if sony replaces it and ill just end up with the same situation.
Mine has been pretty quiet. Only sound I hear is the disc spin up when playing a disc came. It does spin up occasionally during the game also. I'm used to this loud spin up as I used to play a lot of PC games with crappy CD drives and they all did the same thing. I tried to put my ear next to the console and can't hear too much.

No noticeable coil whine like I am seeing in the videos. I do have ambient noise (family room next to kitchen), so its not like I am playing in a vacuum.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
My top side panel (my PS5 is sitting horizontally) vibrates when a disc is spinning. Sometimes the noise wasn't bad, other times it could get quite loud until I manually shifted it slightly.

I ended up putting a small strip of electrical tape on the side panel right where the side panel contacts the rounded plastic grill - and now it's perfectly quiet all the time.

Tiny bit of manufacturing tolerance clearly enough to cause these problems but I'm happy after my low tech / non-invasive little fix.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
does anyone here have a SILENT ps5? Wondering if it doesnt matter if sony replaces it and ill just end up with the same situation.

My PS5 is very quiet. When sitting on the couch with Skyrim running on disc and everything muted so the house is quiet I don't really hear much of anything. My couch is ~3-4ft from the TV and the PS5 is behind the TV.

In order to hear anything (fan or disc spin) I need to get my head close to the PS5.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't hear it I wouldn't worry too much.

I didn't notice the coil whine as much today, but I don't think anything has changed. Maybe I'm getting used to it. And I think that if my bedroom was bigger it would be less of an issue. I sit maybe 2m (or less) away from the TV.

Also, yesterday I accessed the fan but I couldn't see any obvious problems. Don't think that sticker is in contact with anything.

EDIT: Ok today I'm super noticing it again lol.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Well sony has my console now. that was quick. only took 2 days. May get it back sooner than I thought.

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
Well sony has my console now. that was quick. only took 2 days. May get it back sooner than I thought.
Please keep us posted how the new/repaired console sounds. Like Bya, there are days where I think mine is getting quieter but then I'll start playing Valhalla and change my mind instantly. Very noisy coil whine with that game. Yesterday I was playing Spider-Man in the new Performance RT mode and it wasn't too bad. I thought it was actually getting better (but likely not) until I fired up Valhalla.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Please keep us posted how the new/repaired console sounds. Like Bya, there are days where I think mine is getting quieter but then I'll start playing Valhalla and change my mind instantly. Very noisy coil whine with that game. Yesterday I was playing Spider-Man in the new Performance RT mode and it wasn't too bad. I thought it was actually getting better (but likely not) until I fired up Valhalla.

Holy shit. they already repaired/replaced and are sending it back!. Turnaround time is freaking fast as hell. Ill probably have it before friday.

locke_21183

Banned
Jul 21, 2020
I swear mine is getting softer. Could hear it distractingly over cutscenes in Valhalla, but now can't hear it if anything at all else is happening.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Ok just to throw my 2 cents in this .
I had tested few ps5 consoles ( including mine that I had and sold for profit ) and they all had different type of fans and different degree of coil whine .

but today ladies and gents I got the ps5 with the best fan upon testing all fans available on ps5 ( delta. Nidec and the new model they showed in the tear down .
The best fan ever is by far the Nidec fan ( when you open the front cover you will see 8 pins on the fan not 11 ( or was it 12 ) the delta has . The new model doesn't have any pins shaped things )

as for the coil whine. This is truly the best console in terms of coil whine . I can honestly barely hear if . I have to sit on the floor 40 cm close to the system for me to hear it during game play . I thought I have a placebo affect so I asked my wife because she also noticed it before and she was like wow. This one is quite and she said she will kill me if sell it . This is really one quite console .

finally I am frigging happy beyond imagination .

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
That's awesome man. I can feel your sense of relief. Happy for you! Your system sounds like how I would describe my brother's PS5. His has the quiet fan and barely any coil whine (I need to put my ear right up to it even in the most demanding games).

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long until we start seeing third party PS5 fans on aliexpress? lol

Still can't send my PS5 back because Coolshop is slow as fuck to respond to my ticket.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

I can only hear fan noise at night, with the TV muted. And it's subtle. As far as I know it's not the same fan shown during the teardown.

My concern is that this is likely to get worse as the console collects dust and the thermal components also degrade. My original PS4 was actually a fairly silent machine when I first got it, and now it sounds like a jet engine.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
So I hear a slight change in sound when I switch from home screen to game (digital or disc.) The change in sound is instant. It kinda sounds like a buzz. Regardless, is it normal to hear the change in sound or is that the coil whine everyone is talking about?

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can only hear fan noise at night, with the TV muted. And it's subtle. As far as I know it's not the same fan shown during the teardown.

My concern is that this is likely to get worse as the console collects dust and the thermal components also degrade. My original PS4 was actually a fairly silent machine when I first got it, and now it sounds like a jet engine.

Aren't there those dust catchers where you can just remove the top panel and vacuum?

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't there those dust catchers where you can just remove the top panel and vacuum?

It's easier to vacuum the dust this time around, but if my PS4 is anything to go by, even opening up, cleaning it thoroughly, and changing the thermal past has never seen the machine returning to the noise level it had in the beginning.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So I hear a slight change in sound when I switch from home screen to game (digital or disc.) The change in sound is instant. It kinda sounds like a buzz. Regardless, is it normal to hear the change in sound or is that the coil whine everyone is talking about?

That's the coil whine. It sounds like a little mechanical mosquito (like a buzz, like you said!) and kicks in and changes pitch depending on the power being pulled.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. they already repaired/replaced and are sending it back!. Turnaround time is freaking fast as hell. Ill probably have it before friday.

You got probably replace if it got that fast like me the first time, because my second console had bluray problem and it take a lot of time compare to replacement, prepare yourself for the lotery... i didn't win at all lol.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Those returning your consoles for repairs should try to record audio only at least of it running on the menu and maybe with Astro. This way you can share a comparison.

I'm excited to hear these small reports that they do improve.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
My top side panel (my PS5 is sitting horizontally) vibrates when a disc is spinning. Sometimes the noise wasn't bad, other times it could get quite loud until I manually shifted it slightly.

I ended up putting a small strip of electrical tape on the side panel right where the side panel contacts the rounded plastic grill - and now it's perfectly quiet all the time.

Tiny bit of manufacturing tolerance clearly enough to cause these problems but I'm happy after my low tech / non-invasive little fix.

Mine is vertical, but I have the same issue. It really irritates me... I have fan noise and coil whine, but neither is too bad overall and I find them acceptable. The random vibrating when the disc spins is far louder. Its annoying having to press against the side of the machine and shift it around a bit to make the noise go away.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Wondering if Sony has figured out how to make quiet PSU's now. But replacing the PSU takes time since you have to dissassemble the PS5.
But it's at least faster than doing it AND opening up the PSU and reflowing all the solder joints with a soldering iron - which (if it's the same coil whine problem as with PS4 Pro) possibly could solve the problem.

Looking forward to this genius guy trying that out if he is able to get his hands on a coil whiney PS5.

Maybe someone here would like to send over theirs to him to try and fix it and pay the shipping? He seem to know what he is doing.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
welp. Got my ps5 back. They replaced it for sure.

this one has coil whine as well.

HOWEVER it is MUCH quieter than my previous unit. This one has a low hum that if you get right near the console its very easy to hear. There is also a high pitched whine but its not as loud either. During normal gameplay its pretty much impossible to hear.

I think most if not all consoles have a bit of this coil whine. Its only the severity of the issue that is different.

I think im satisfied enough with this replacement, not going to play the lottery game.

edit: disc drive is also a lot quieter.

Last edited:

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

HOWEVER it is MUCH quieter than my previous unit. This one has a low hum that if you get right near the console its very easy to hear. There is also a high pitched whine but its not as loud either. During normal gameplay its pretty much impossible to hear.

I think most if not all consoles have a bit of this coil whine. Its only the severity of the issue that is different.

I think im satisfied enough with this replacement, not going to play the lottery game.
That's great to hear, I'll end up doing this next year sometime. Last thing I want it to get one back and have it be worse.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Also it still has coil whine when the system is in rest mode.

everyone put your ps5 in rest mode and put your ear by it? Do you hear anything?

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Has anyone in England had any luck in sending their PS5 back and getting it fixed? My console has a high pitched noise rather than a scratchy fan noise and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any joy in getting it sorted.

I can just about hear it during gameplay but after seeing other problems I'm hesitant just incase I get something back that's worse!

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

edit: disc drive is also a lot quieter.

Good to hear. Did you contact Sony over the phone or through email? I might contact them next week right before my return period is up.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. def traded in a high pitched whine for a low pitched hum. Im ok with this. Much harder to pickup during gameplay.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is vertical, but I have the same issue. It really irritates me... I have fan noise and coil whine, but neither is too bad overall and I find them acceptable. The random vibrating when the disc spins is far louder. Its annoying having to press against the side of the machine and shift it around a bit to make the noise go away.

Yeah I was really unhappy with it too.

Happy to report that about a week later my tape solution is still working perfectly. If you can isolate specifically where your side panel vibrates against the core of the console, I highly recommend it.

ShaqtinFools

Nov 17, 2020
Everyone here seems to have experience with a quick replacement turnaround except me..... I requested the box on Nov 27 and it took a week to get here, Sony only just received my console yesterday. Hopefully they send it out by the end of the week so it has a chance to arrive before Christmas

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone here seems to have experience with a quick replacement turnaround except me..... I requested the box on Nov 27 and it took a week to get here, Sony only just received my console yesterday. Hopefully they send it out by the end of the week so it has a chance to arrive before Christmas

There hope, I've just receive my ps5 from Sony after 2 other problem console.... So far it's perfect, coil whine still there, but i have to put my head up front to hear it, Other then that with everything mute around me, it's great. No fan noise like previous fan model. Blu-ray seem ok so far. Played couple of minutes and it's the most quiet Ps5 i've experience ever.... Did after all that trouble i've win the lottery ?

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
i swear sometimes I feel the coil whine is becoming less until I start up Assassin's Creed Valhalla and am blown away how loud that game buzzes. Skulldead, is your new one still quiet? I saw someone on reddit saying their coil whine went totally away after about 150 hours of playing their system. I am not sure I believe that. I have many hours played on mine and I don't think it has gotten any better. I am not exactly sure though. Fortnite and Spider-Man don't seem as bad as they were before but I also could be getting used to it.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
i swear sometimes I feel the coil whine is becoming less until I start up Assassin's Creed Valhalla and am blown away how loud that game buzzes. Skulldead, is your new one still quiet? I saw someone on reddit saying their coil whine went totally away after about 150 hours of playing their system. I am not sure I believe that. I have many hours played on mine and I don't think it has gotten any better. I am not exactly sure though. Fortnite and Spider-Man don't seem as bad as they were before but I also could be getting used to it.
Coil whine can get better with time but there is no guarantee it will. If it's not gone after 2-3 weeks of gaming I doubt it'll ever be.

I lucked out with an incredibly quiet ps5 while my brothers sounds awful.. I feel for you all out there with coil whine :/

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
i swear sometimes I feel the coil whine is becoming less until I start up Assassin's Creed Valhalla and am blown away how loud that game buzzes. @Skulldead, is your new one still quiet?

So got i yesterday.... i have a quiet fan(glad didn't like the other fan noise), a really more quiet blu-ray then my previous(not hard to beat)..... but coil whine still there, BUT i heard a difference, it really less high pitch noise, way less disturbing for my hear, before I had to put volume at 25-30 , now it's around 15-20 it's fine... yeah coil whine still there, at this point i'm pretty sure 90-95% of console have coil whine, but it just sound different for different people, for once i'll keep this one for sure, that fan model is amazing compare to the other !

locke_21183

Banned
Jul 21, 2020

For me it's like the range is changing. It goes from virtually none to sometimes medium, as opposed go sometimes medium but often very loud. This was after about 80 hours and I"m now about 95.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's coil for me it's ventilator vibration and it's much more silent when I press the ps5

vimeo.com

Untitled

This is "Untitled" by BoomT on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Need to find a way to get this more silent pressing position without pressing it ... lol

it's quite silent in real I don't know why on the video it seems so noisy though

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it's coil for me it's ventilator vibration and it's much more silent when I press the ps5

vimeo.com

Untitled

This is "Untitled" by BoomT on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Need to find a way to get this more silent pressing position without pressing it ... lol

it's quite silent in real I don't know why on the video it seems so noisy though

A huge rubber band?

Sorry I'm not sure.

But from that video it seems like the slight vibration from the side fins are what's making that noise you're experiencing. Who knows though, maybe making them fit snugger all the time might somehow negatively impact your PS5 thermal profile.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yup. def traded in a high pitched whine for a low pitched hum. Im ok with this. Much harder to pickup during gameplay.
Man, did you trade your PS5 in solely because of the coil whine? Did they give you much of a fight? I'm curious...I might try the lottery next year if it's not too much of a pain in the ass.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Man, did you trade your PS5 in solely because of the coil whine? Did they give you much of a fight? I'm curious...I might try the lottery next year if it's not too much of a pain in the ass.

i talked to them on the phone. They said we will send you a box. Box came friday. I sent it in sunday, I got my replacement Wed. No issues, no fuss.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A huge rubber band?

Sorry I'm not sure.

But from that video it seems like the slight vibration from the side fins are what's making that noise you're experiencing. Who knows though, maybe making them fit snugger all the time might somehow negatively impact your PS5 thermal profile.
Im hesitating to try something now

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

51l%2BCIXE6fL._AC_SY606_.jpg

:-)

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Mine has this low buzz you can hear if you get close to it. I don't know for sure if it's coil whine. I wouldn't exchange mine for that reason, I don't hear it from where I sit.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Im hesitating to try something now

If graphical artifacts start appearing on the screen, just remove whatever you've done quickly.
A rubber band might work, but the clamping force you're using there would probably surprise you how much force you're using when you try to use an analog to simulate it.

Don't remove the fins whatever you do, they do play a part in the cooling of the machine.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Mine has this low buzz you can hear if you get close to it. I don't know for sure if it's coil whine. I wouldn't exchange mine for that reason, I don't hear it from where I sit.

This is probably coil whine, if the noise change depending what show on the screen. Try heavy GPU game like darksoul and Vahallla, they are the worse for me, also 120 fps game if you have one.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If graphical artifacts start appearing on the screen, just remove whatever you've done quickly.
A rubber band might work, but the clamping force you're using there would probably surprise you how much force you're using when you try to use an analog to simulate it.

Don't remove the fins whatever you do, they do play a part in the cooling of the machine.
I just want to try these o-ring things and check if I don't have this piece of something near my fan. This is safe ?