• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This video really shows the separation between fan and coil whine. You hear the fan at the beginning, then the coil whine kicks in.

This is my PS5 exactly. I'm not that bothered by the whole thing. It's noticeable, but not so loud that it can be heard over the tv sound or when wearing headphones. I'll admit that I wish it was whisper quiet, but I'm not considering trying to have it replaced or anything like that.

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
Mine makes that noise everytime it boots, but it's never for more than like 5-7 seconds. After that it's completely silent the whole time it's on, but it is annoying expecting that noise everytime.

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
So i just receive a new system, they just change it, same model CFI-1015A, i can already tell you from first impression no coil whine.... so far. I'm installing Demon's soul right now i can already tell my bluray is way quiter then my other ps5. But because i can't heard the whine that the fan is not super quiet. But i will compare both, could create a hybrid system with no coil whine and good fan ?!? Don't know i'll see what going on, but so far it's good.

Edit: the fan make a little noise that the other ps5 doesn't have.... weird.

edit 2: this is it i'm trying the fan on the other ps5 to see the result. No coild whine and a silent fan let's see the result.

edit 3: sooo both have different fan model....
It it possible to swamp fan models between the two consoles without breaking the warranty seal?

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This video really shows the separation between fan and coil whine. You hear the fan at the beginning, then the coil whine kicks in.

the sound at the start before the click is EXACTLY what I have when playing WDL and the disc stops spinning on boot/first check. its not that loud though, more of a low hum which I can hear sat 1.5 metres away

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When my PS5 starts up I get a large disc spin and while I'm playing or streaming it starts spinning and blowing for some reason, even on a digital game or Netflix....

Is this one of the problems? I never had my PS4 Pro make such noises when streaming Netflix...

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
When my PS5 starts up I get a large disc spin and while I'm playing or streaming it starts spinning and blowing for some reason, even on a digital game or Netflix....

Is this one of the problems? I never had my PS4 Pro make such noises when streaming Netflix...
Yeah it seems if you have a disc in it will periodically re-check the disc, even if you're not playing it. Only solution is to have no disc in.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is "dead silent", too. Doesn`t mean it doesn`t have coil whine.
Then yours isn't dead silent if you can hear coil whine. I get the impression you're genuinely upset that I'm suffering no issues with my launch consoles.

At the end of the day, I can't hear any coil whine even if I shove my head next to any of my consoles. And for that I'm happy.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
My noise definitely seems to come from the top of the console, where the black part curves. But it also changes like crazy when I start a game, go to the menu, quit the game, etc - so it definitely seems like coil whine.

Thinking of returning it and getting a replacement unit, but may wait for a month or two to see how things go :/

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
So i just receive a new system, they just change it, same model CFI-1015A, i can already tell you from first impression no coil whine.... so far. I'm installing Demon's soul right now i can already tell my bluray is way quiter then my other ps5. But because i can't heard the whine that the fan is not super quiet. But i will compare both, could create a hybrid system with no coil whine and good fan ?!? Don't know i'll see what going on, but so far it's good.

Edit: the fan make a little noise that the other ps5 doesn't have.... weird.

edit 2: this is it i'm trying the fan on the other ps5 to see the result. No coild whine and a silent fan let's see the result.

edit 3: sooo both have different fan model....
So you dont have a really faint buzz when you are about 10cm from the fan? I personally cant hear mine from 6 feet away.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Skulldead Have you tried your replacement system with Demon's Souls and some other games yet?

i tried, but when i put my T8 one of one screw just broke.... so..... yeah i change my mind, I'll keep the console with a louder fan, it's actualy way less distracting then my coil whine one. And the console I've got from Sony the Bluray player is pretty silent compare to the other one, perfect when i watch movie the other one was terrible. So yeah. You choice, coil whine or a louder fan.... my stepbrother will take the coil whine one. At this point i will not contact again for couple month and wait everthing can get sort by sony.

Make story sort, heavy coil whine, had another console with coil whine but less problamatic, but still there. Change the console, got a louder fan but no coil whine and a less louder Bluray player.

So don't waste your time they don't repair, they will just exchange the console. The problem are still there.

So you dont have a really faint buzz when you are about 10cm from the fan? I personally cant hear mine from 6 feet away.

I have a little fan sound that i didn't have on the other. But no highpitch sound variation when playing a game. I'll keep the fan one, less irritating.

Last edited:

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I have a little fan sound that i didn't have on the other. But no highpitch sound variation when playing a game. I'll keep the fan one, less irritating.
yup totally get that, no high pitch noise here ether luckily. Just a normal buzz that very quiet and is easily drowned out by low volume tv levels( even lower than i usually play regularly).

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's weird? The buzzing sound has been getting quieter as time goes on lol I wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same thing...

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
You know what's weird? The buzzing sound has been getting quieter as time goes on lol I wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same thing...

Coil whine can diminish over time, sometimes completely disappear.

PC users have used methods to speed this up, especially when located on graphics cards.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Are you by chance an audiophile?

Why do you ask? I can't say I am but I am descended from one lol (My Dad).

I am very sensitive to noise, as a sufferer of tinnitus my hearing has become weirdly more sensitive and I am very quick to hear and investigate new continuous tones (based on a fear of new tinnitus tones).

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully mine has only slight coil whine with the fan drowning it out when playing games. I can't hear it unless I get about 2 feet away. Further than that and only the fan is audible but not annoying at all.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done, the console they replace mine start coil whine this morning with a loud fan. I'm tired. I'm so tired of all that. It's not fun....

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I may have missed the video, but has someone posted one of their PS5 with zero coil whine and near silent fan yet?

I don't doubt that there is variance, that's the case for every physical item you can buy, but I'm finding it hard to believe that there is a PS5 with absolutely no coil whine and silent fan.

What is funny is even the French site that made it public about different fans etc and highlighted the difference in coil whine between two different units didn't have a sound clip of their "silent one".

The issue is different people have different levels of hearing, different room acoustics, seating positions etc. Someone saying "mines silent" doesn't really help. Have you gone right up to the console?

You could argue if you have to go right up to the console to hear it then it's "silent" which I would agree with. Equally if you can hear your console from 6 feet away over your tv volume then I would say that is faulty.

But the ones that say there is zero coil whine, please post a video while playing a game. I've not seen one!

Last edited:

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I may have missed the video, but has someone posted one of their PS5 with zero coil whine and near silent fan yet?

I don't doubt that there is variance, that's the case for every physical item you can buy, but I'm finding it hard to believe that there is a PS5 with absolutely no coil whine and silent fan.

What is funny is even the French site that made it public about different fans etc and highlighted the difference in coil whine between two different units didn't have a sound clip of their "silent one".

The issue is different people have different levels of hearing, different room acoustics, seating positions etc. Someone saying "mines silent" doesn't really help. Have you gone right up to the console?

You could argue if you have to go right up to the console to hear it then it's "silent" which I would agree with. Equally if you can hear your console from 6 feet away over your tv volume then I would say that is faulty.

But the ones that say there is zero coil whine, please post a video while playing a game. I've not seen one!

You are probably right, I'm just really mad to get a worse console then the one i have sent. I'll lose it another 2 weeks, after spending what around 300 in game ,accesories and PSN+. This is just really frustrating experience.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Besides the noise being a little annoying, can this coil whine thing have bad consequences?

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
You are probably right, I'm just really mad to get a worse console then the one i have sent. I'll lose it another 2 weeks, after spending what around 300 in game ,accesories and PSN+. This is just really frustrating experience.

Was always a gamble that you would end up with one with less issues. It was never a certainty, in fact I have replaced consoles in the past and usually I have come out the worse for it unfortunately.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Besides the noise being a little annoying, can this coil whine thing have bad consequences?

None, it has been a staple of high end electronics for the longest time. High power and high frequency tend to expose this issue.

And again for anyone who doesn't have a PS5 yet or hasn't heard a sound ..... stay out of here, looking for problems will cause you to find them and that will be all you see / hear etc.

As someone with tinnitus, acceptance is the fastest path to peace. Either learn to live with it, mitigate it or remove it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
As someone with tinnitus, acceptance is the fastest path to peace. Either learn to live with it, mitigate it or remove it.

you are right, glad you gave that advice ! I'll live with it, i mean the console work, all my game are now install, i can still play them. I'll live with it, anaway still have 11 month waranty, if something really happen i'm safe. I have to relax, keep it cool, my stepbrother is happy about my other ps5 with little coil whine, we can now play in coop.

If this was really a problem, sony would already talk about it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally muted the game and put my ear next to the system, and yes, there's a tiny little buzzing. I didn't poke around too much, but it seemed to be coming more from the top of the system than the bottom, which would mean it's the fan and not the power supply.

But the noise is easily drowned out by even the ambient sounds of a video game, much less any action or music or whatever, or when the heater or fridge kicks on, etc. I definitely wouldn't describe it as "loud", and it's easily quieter than my PS4 Pro's fan at idle.

lowkeyframe

Oct 27, 2017
"Silent" is a relative term in this context. Everyone's ambient sound situation will differ so there could be ambient sounds that mask the PS5s fan hum or coil whine. To say it's dead silent is all relative to the person's environment.

For me, my replacement ps5 is now way more quiet than my previous ps5 with a loud fan.
The biggest observation after running a bunch of PS5 and PS4 games is that the coil whine is purely dependent on the game that's running.

For example, running Godfall I hear coil whine during gameplay but it gets tuned out by my game volume.
However, running Miles Morales, the coil whine is only audible when I approach my PS5 within a couple feet.
When I started playing Diablo and Destiny, there was no coil whine at all.

Must be something about the GPU demanding ps5 games that trigger the coil whine which is why almost everyone I've spoken to who is playing Demon Souls is hearing it. There are units that have a more prominent coil whine sound than others which is definitely a fact. Luckily mine is on the lower end.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I think mine is getting louder. It may even be the fan at this point all i know is its much louder than when i got it.

I will be replacing this console it seems but its gonna suck to be without it for awhile.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I think mine is getting louder. It may even be the fan at this point all i know is its much louder than when i got it.

I will be replacing this console it seems but its gonna suck to be without it for awhile.
Do you notice it louder even when playing PS4 games? All games? Or demanding PS5 games? (but not non-demanding PS5 games, like a PS5 ver of Bugsnax?)

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Do you notice it louder even when playing PS4 games? All games? Or demanding PS5 games? (but not non-demanding PS5 games, like a PS5 ver of Bugsnax?)

seems like ps4 and ps5 games lol. so basically everything. also there is coil whine when its in rest mode and its charging any USB or downloading anything to my external usb drive. (ps4 games)

Its defective enough I think i can convince sony for a replacement.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
seems like ps4 and ps5 games lol. so basically everything. also there is coil whine when its in rest mode and its charging any USB or downloading anything to my external usb drive. (ps4 games)

Its defective enough I think i can convince sony for a replacement.
Sounds like you deserve a replacement

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Every once in a while either the disk drive or fans become very loud for a few seconds, is this normal?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Think I'm gonna take mine in on Monday. Apparently I can get a replacement in around 2 days here in South Africa - luckily they seem to have shipped backup stock for situations like this.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I swear there was no noise when I 1st got it, but this last week it's purring like a tiny cat is stick in there. Annoying the shit out of me.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I swear there was no noise when I 1st got it, but this last week it's purring like a tiny cat is stick in there. Annoying the shit out of me.

It happen on the console they sent me, no coil whine at beginning, after 2 day i can hear it. But so far it never reach the peak of my other console, the sound of the fan is louder then the coil whine( and less heritating IMO especialy in 120 fps game). This was the opposite of very loud coil whine and low fan noise. I starting to think both are related. They have all coil whine in a way or another, just different level.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not checked in on this thread at all, but in terms of my experience I've had it from day 1 19th Nov UK - first day or two I thought I heard coil whine, but since then it's been pretty much whisper quiet beyond the periodic disc checks

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I took my PS5 panels off to see what fan I had, and I have a delta fan (it has delta electronics written on it) which is apparently type A which is meant to the quieter one. Well damn I'd hate to hear fan B. As my fan is loud as fuck.

It's actually now so loud I can hear it across the room when it's in standby. What I find weird is the fan should only be on if the console is doing a background task, but mine isn't downloading or anything and the fan is on constantly during standby for some reason.

I used a T9 screwdriver (which worked) as I didn't have a T8 head, removed and re-seated the fan, there was nothing in the way, no sticker, label etc. Has made no difference to the fan.

I even removed the side panels and started the PS5 just incase they were causing, or enhancing certain frequencies but made no difference at all.

I'm wondering if it's a matter of time before third party fans are released. It would be simple to replace.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if it's a matter of time before third party fans are released. It would be simple to replace.

This, I'm sure super quiet fan will came out in couple of month. this is will be easy upgrade, just let the time go. I had both fan model too, i tried to swap them, but i broke a T8 screw on the other (I'll have to change it later) so i change my mind. Waiting is the best solution.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
My noise seems to come from the round part in top of the console? Coil whine, or fan noise? Kinda high pitched 😅