• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Mine is dead quiet outside of the disc spinning at startup, way better than my computer but mine is full mesh so it's practically open.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for stock to be stable and ask for exchange at Walmart. My issue isn't a coil whine but the fan being heard even through my headphones sometimes. It's a damn shame, also never take articles at face value of any console being quite. Be your own judge
Isn't is only 30 days for elextronics at Walmart. Doubt they will have enough stock in by then.

Nov 11, 2020
Well I hope this gets some better press coverage, as having a brand new piece of equipment that buzzes loudly (maybe due to something as simple as them not adding some dampening solution where needed) is ridiculous, and makes me glad I didn't trade in my PS4's for one just yet.

Secondly, I hope Sony move to fix this as soon as possible.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Well I hope this gets some better press coverage, as having a brand new piece of equipment that buzzes loudly (maybe due to something as simple as them not adding some dampening solution where needed) is ridiculous, and makes me glad I didn't trade in my PS4's for one just yet.

Secondly, I hope Sony move to fix this as soon as possible.

They won't do anything with outlets like GameSpot posting garbage articles.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
So is Sony sending you a replacement?
I didn't ask for one and I won't ask for one. I am lucky to have both my ps5 dead silent with very minimal coil whine . Why would I ask for a replacement ?
The other ps5 with a whirl sound isn't mine.
Not a single issue with both ps5 and lucky with the fan lottery . I am good till the ps5 pro

vaxick

Sep 25, 2019
I apologise you basically cannot see my PS5 in this video as I recorded it in the dark, and YouTube seems to have compressed it to hell, but in the PS4 game Descenders, my coil whine goes from loud buzzing to a high pitched squealing sound. It's extremely annoying and I'm considering contacting Sony about it.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I have both ps5 consoles and I don't hear a whirling sound from the fan . Only the new type has it. Because so many blades it's causing turbulence which is why you hear this whirl .
Like I said in my previous posts I have spent so much times studying fans specially on consoles and gpu to know the difference etc

if he open his PS5 top cover and look at the middle of the fan, he most likely will find his fan is the new model that was introduced with the ps5 ( there are 3 ps5 fans models so far ) . The one he has is the one without any rectangular shapes like the delta or Nidec fans have.
Both Nidec and delta fans are awesome this generation . Unlike the PS4 where the delta design was bad. Now both are awesome . It's the new third one that is annoying lol
Fuck, I have the third one...it says "NMB" as the brand. Honestly it's not loud, but for a single fan running at moderate speeds it does not sound silent or premium and is louder than what others are describing. Menu to game goes from "silent" to "not silent".
I don't have noticeable coil whine tho, but maybe the fan is drowning it out!

Last edited:

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Ugh, it doesn't seem like my coil whine is improving at all and it's really annoying, even from like 7 feet away. I guess I can return it next month if I have to. Has anyone had luck with Sony Support for a replacement?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Someone posted a picture in the Series X noise thread, showing some kind of grey sound-dampening goop Microsoft used in the Series X PSU, and it looks like they put in several key places within the housing. Would adding this to future PS5 runs solve the problem with coil whine?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
83rxzj63emz51.jpg

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, it doesn't seem like my coil whine is improving at all and it's really annoying, even from like 7 feet away. I guess I can return it next month if I have to. Has anyone had luck with Sony Support for a replacement?
At this point it's looking like the chances of returning and getting one that doesn't have the issue is very small, and who knows if the next batch of systems will be any better. I had one from Amazon and one from Walmart and they both have the problem.

I have no idea how this whole thing is going to play out at all. Wonder what Sony will even say or do about this.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mine sounds like this. I don't hear it at all when 1-2 meters away from it, but after reading this thread I'm worried and it might not be normal?

Closest video so far to what mine sounds like. Just a basic old slightly ratttly almost sounding fan, not loud, but not silent. Doesn't sound like coil whine to me either.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
At this point it's looking like the chances of returning and getting one that doesn't have the issue is very small, and who knows if the next batch of systems will be any better. I had one from Amazon and one from Walmart and they both have the problem.

I have no idea how this whole thing is going to play out at all. Wonder what Sony will even say or do about this.

I don't really care that much if it has minor coil whine, it's just that mine is really loud. On the other hand, I've seen units online that people are sitting right next to at their desks and it's just fine. I just want it to be quieter so I can't hear it on the couch like 7 feet away. Sucks that the console launch had to be this way though...

IronYuppie

Oct 28, 2017
Someone posted a picture in the Series X noise thread, showing some kind of grey sound-dampening goop Microsoft used in the Series X PSU, and it looks like they put in several key places within the housing. Would adding this to future PS5 runs solve the problem with coil whine?
This was posted earlier in the thread, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed if the gloop is actually for coil whine or not. People just assumed that because the XSX doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I got my PS5 today (EU), was playing several games and testing out the console in general. Long story short yes coil whine on mine also but it's so low that I don't hear it until I put my ear next to it almost. I'm sitting 2,5 meters from my console so for me it's a non issue. My XSX on the other hand is dead silent, I cannot even tell if it's on or not lol.

bboris77

Sep 11, 2020
This was posted earlier in the thread, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed if the gloop is actually for coil whine or not. People just assumed that because the XSX doesn't seem to have the same problem.
That foam/goop is definitely for the purpose of minimizing coil whine/electrical buzzing. For some reason, Sony decided not to have any of it applied on their PSU. Btw, the Delta brand that Sony uses is an excellent PSU maker. If I had to bet, they were probably worried that adding too much goop/foam in there would obstruct internal airflow leading to PSU overheating and failing. For example. when I put my PS5 in vertical position, the bottom of the unit which houses the PSU gets very hot. The fan being on top of the unit is trying to push the hot air down and out of the rear exhaust which is kind of working against the natural principle of hot air rising. Eventually, I decided to put the PS5 horizontally mainly because I thought this would give it better airflow.

I think Sony engineers decided to prioritize stability and longevity of the console over absolute silence. Their main goal must have been to eliminate the fan noise because that was the main complaint with the PS4 Pro. This meant having a massive heatsink and a more silent fan spinning at much lower rpm. That left less space for a traditional box-shaped PSU - hence the weird narrow L-shaped design and all the thermal challenges that come with it.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Fuck, I have the third one...it says "NMB" as the brand. Honestly it's not loud, but for a single fan running at moderate speeds it does not sound silent or premium and is louder than what others are describing. Menu to game goes from "silent" to "not silent".
I don't have noticeable coil whine tho, but maybe the fan is drowning it out!
Well . I really don't know what to say ...

however if you don't notice it much then don't worry about it.

the difference isn't really that huge. It's just the whirl sound is abit more annoying .

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
The coil whine actually decreased on my unit after two days of playing. It's still there, but it's hard to notice unless you focus on it. I sit 1,3m away from my TV so pretty much a non issue for me at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
At least Sony is moving in the right direction. The PS4 PRO had horrific coil whine and its fan sounded like a jet engine. Both of these issues were absolutely impossible to ignore even with the headphones/sound system on. The PS5 coil whine is at least 50% less loud and the fan noise has practically been eliminated.

I am extremely picky about this stuff and the PS5 coil whine is no worse than any PC graphics card in the last 5 years. You can only truly hear it if you are actively listening for it. Once your headphones or speakers are on, it is not distracting at all. It is at the same level as any other white noise source such as the hiss coming out of the vents of forced air heating system.
Speak for yourself. My PS4 Pro sat no more than 3 feet from me on my computer desk and I never heard it for any reason other than the spinning of a disc when using physical media. Maybe a soft woooosh from the fan.

The coil whine actually decreased on my unit after two days of playing. It's still there, but it's hard to notice unless you focus on it. I sit 1,3m away from my TV so pretty much a non issue for me at this point.
Good. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, this was my experience with my most recent PC power supply. 1000W PSU had VERY loud buzzing when put under load from a game. Tab out of the game, minimal noise; tab back in and that sommbitch was louder than the fans and I could hear it over my headphones. It was crazy. Within 24-36 hours of general use, the noise completely disappeared. I had called to have it RMA'd and set up the return. Went to test it one more time and suddenly it was dead silent. I'm grateful it worked out and hopefully it does for the rest of you with this PSU noise situation.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Speak for yourself. My PS4 Pro sat no more than 3 feet from me on my computer desk and I never heard it for any reason other than the spinning of a disc when using physical media. Maybe a soft woooosh from the fan.

Good. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, this was my experience with my most recent PC power supply. 1000W PSU had VERY loud buzzing when put under load from a game. Tab out of the game, minimal noise; tab back in and that sommbitch was louder than the fans and I could hear it over my headphones. It was crazy. Within 24-36 hours of general use, the noise completely disappeared. I had called to have it RMA'd and set up the return. Went to test it one more time and suddenly it was dead silent. I'm grateful it worked out and hopefully it does for the rest of you with this PSU noise situation.

My 7200 series Pro was soooo quiet except for a few games where it would have coil whine. By comparison, my PS5 is much worse.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I got my PS5 today (EU), was playing several games and testing out the console in general. Long story short yes coil whine on mine also but it's so low that I don't hear it until I put my ear next to it almost. I'm sitting 2,5 meters from my console so for me it's a non issue. My XSX on the other hand is dead silent, I cannot even tell if it's on or not lol.
Yup exactly the same . The Xbox is really an engineering marvel. Gotta give it to MS. If it's not for the Xbox logo light I would probably kept the console running for days without evening noticing . You don't hear shit on that thing lol .
I am also on the same boat as the ps5 for both ps5 I own. Very low coil whine I actually have to put my ear to hear it. I don't if I am 1 meter away from it even if everting is on mute . To be honest I hear the fridge sound of the wind on the window more than my ps5 . Also nice design

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
At this point I just want the people who claim that their shit is silent, to post some receipts lol. The anecdotal 6 consoles I have come in contact with so far, including my own all make the same fan whirl noise. Ours aren't as horrible as some people are posting, but the PS5 does have a slight noise when its running, and even playing a digital game. I honestly think the slight noise is "normal" for the majority of the units out there, but the buzzsaw sounding ones that people have posted definitely have a very real issue.

Mine is totally quiet. In another thread most people claim they have no issues with their PS5. Obviously most people here will claim they have it since that's what the topic is about. I don't think there's need for people to prove they don't make a sound ahah.

I literally played Miles for 3 hours, then Astroboy and it's dead silent. I don't hear a whisper. Once I turned it off it was also barely even hot. It's amazing.

Not sure if it helps but mine is from Europe (so maybe not the first few consoles made?) and it wasn't delivered at home.
I bought it in-store after my pre-order also in-store back in September.

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020

That's encouraging. Today while I was playing Fortnite I could have sworn is was a little quieter but then I put on AC Valhalla and it was super loud just like before. I lost hope after that. I've been running my system every day to see if the noise will subside after some time.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
It decreased playing the same games or are you playing different things?

I've put 25 hours into Demon's Souls alone and it hasn't changed a bit

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Also worth checking out general vibrations on the covers and considering some well placed dabs of blu tack.

I'm sorry, maybe I'll be accused of console warring, but this is bad industrial design.

I'm thankful for this thread and the delayed European release of the PS5, it really saved me 500 bucks. I will definitely get one in time but only if this gets completely solved or until a slim design comes around.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
I'm sorry, maybe I'll be accused of console warring, but this is bad industrial design.

I'm thankful for this thread and the delayed European release of the PS5, it really saved me 500 bucks. I will definitely get one in time but only if this gets completely solved or until a slim design comes around.
A little but I do get peoples annoyance. However if it means you can access all the PS5 benefits (1st party, dual sense, whatever floats your boat) then doing some home improvements like vibration dampening shouldn't be too much to ask.
But then I come from a generation who took hacksaws to their consoles to play imported games. Stop being precious (not you specifically!) and do something to help yourself rather than expect it all on a plate.
Note: none of this is said in disrespect to anyone experiencing abnormal noises from their consoles. Jury is still out on mine, I've heard it over gameplay but only when the disc drive randomly spins up.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've listened right up close to the console while demons souls is running and luckily I can;t hear any trace of buzzing. I do have it on my PC and it's very noticable if I'm sat near it

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Demon's Souls for a day I am seriously considering returning my PS5. Like the coil whine while playing Demon's Souls is simply unacceptable. Astro Bot was noticeable but at a level I can deal with. Demon's Souls however is orders of magnitudes worse:

It's not the sound of a mosquito, it's that of a whole army angrily coming after you. I can hear it wearing my headphones, sitting 6-7 feet away from the console for christs sake.

Like, I'd literally rather listen to my jet plane ps4pro, before I modded it to be silent, than this.

Sony managed to drop the ball yet again. All this "We want to make a silent console" talk amounting to nothing because they couldn't help themselves but cheap out on the PSU.

Last edited:

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
My disc drive occasionally makes a horrible grinding sound when vertical, but it completely goes away if the console is horizontal. It still works, but it's frighteningly loud, and I'm not really sure what the issue is since it's only doing it in vertical.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
My console definitely has a soft buzzing noise like a lot of the videos people have made. It ramps up when a game is on and when I go back to the home menu it jumps back down, its a quick jump down but to me it sounds like a fan with its power doing a few free spins. The noise isn't so bad I can't live with it but I'm going to take off the panels and see if I can work out exactly where its coming from.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I manged to get a PS5 order on release. Supposedly arriving on 26th on of November. Apperently I got lucky as the retailer I bought it from was cancelling orders while I got a confirmation instead. Anyway the hype got to me and I kinda regret buying the console. i'mreally thinking about cancelling my order as It seems it's wiser to just wait for a revision.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
I think mine has it, but I'm not bothered by it at all

Frankly, not sure how people are bothered by the whine as, for example, if I'm playing with a sound coming through a sound bar, it completely masks the whine. Or if wearing headphones, I'm completely isolated from any outside noise.

I understand people have got different expectations and requirements, but to me, this is a none issue and I hope more people choose to be not worried by the coil whine as, subjectively, this is a very small defect/issue.

P.S. this is coming from a person who had no problem with a jet engine PS4 Pro, so you can tell my tolerance to this kind of noise is high (or low standards, ahah?). So there's that.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Go figures that the PS5 I helped a friend get is dead silent, yet mine whines. It's not so loud that I can hear anything while playing a game, but it's very noticeable when the system is on and there isn't any other sound. Even with the whining though, it's still quieter than the PS4 by a huge amount.

Here is another video to the pile:

That's what mine sounds like, but does it even matter when you had to actually get right up on it to hear it? It sounds inaudible from two and a half feet away. It also sounds like you managed to record a plane flying overhead as well.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Go figures that the PS5 I helped a friend get is dead silent, yet mine whines. It's not so loud that I can hear anything while playing a game, but it's very noticeable when the system is on and there isn't any other sound. Even with the whining though, it's still quieter than the PS4 by a huge amount.

That's what mine sounds like, but does it even matter when you had to actually get right up on it to hear it? It sounds inaudible from two and a half feet away.

Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I can easily hear it sitting 6-7 foot away from the console while wearing headphones. The video doesn't exactly do this justice. It's that loud.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I can easily hear it sitting 6-7 foot away from the console while wearing headphones.

Your recording is inaudible until you're up on it, unless it actually didn't even start whining until you got that close. I'm listening to it with headphones right now. With it being that low from over three feet away, the only time you could possibly hear it with headphones is during a completely silent scene, or you always have your volume at like 5%.

Maybe the mic on the phone is just bad, but all I hear is a hiss until you're right next to the system. And then the plane too.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Your recording is inaudible until you're up on it, unless it actually didn't even start whining until you got that close. I'm listening to it with headphones right now. With it being that low from over three feet away, the only time you could possibly hear it with headphones is during a completely silent scene, or you always have your volume at like 5%.

Listen again and increase the volume on your headphones, you can hear it just fine from the beginning of the video up to the end. I can easily hear it watching the video with the bookshelve speakers I am using right now. It just gets a lot louder when I get closer to the console and my mobile phones' mic is probably not the best at picking this up, so you might have to increase volume a bit.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Just receive repair box. I take the chance ill sent one of my ps5 to repair, i am in canada and i talk in french customer service dont know if it change something. Ill continue to play with the other whine coil ps5 and pray they are going to correct the other one... Yeah no a great ps5 experience so far...

Are there anybody else got bad experience with ps5 on support for that problem ?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Listen again and increase your volume on your headphones, you can hear it just fine from the beginning of the video to the end. I can hear it on my bookshelve speaker I am using right now. It just gets a lot louder when I get closer to the console and y mobile phone mic is probably not the best at picking this up, so you might have to increase volume a bit.

Yeah, no. I'm not going above 40%, which is plenty loud as it is. I don't hear anything but your mic's hiss until you're literally a foot away. My system sounds exactly the same, and I can hear it in a dead silent room, but not while actually playing any games at all.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing demons souls now and it seems my coil whine is low enough where you can't hear it or enough to blend in with the rest of the room.
I set the audio to go to headset and lowered the volume so I can have it quiet and only really pick up the sound of the ps5
I'm not wearing the headset btw.
I'm like 6 ft away as well