• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
it seems that they even go by the rule that stuff like coil whine is not under warranty and in some cases they will send back the console without doing anything if they think it is within acceptable limits, sort like dead pixels.

For real ? I can lose my Ps5 3 weeks and they don't even correct the problem ?

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with.

Except it's not for many of us. Mine is quite loud and can be heard across the room even with low-medium-level game audio (where I have always kept my volume). In quieter games like Ghost of Tsushima it's hard to ignore the buzzing in the room. My brother's PS5 is indeed much quieter with a mosquito-like sound when you get close to the console even playing AC: Valhalla. Mine is a noticeable buzz that can be heard through the game audio from where I sit about 8 ft from my couch. I swore last night it actually was quieter during Fortnite but then I started playing AC and it seemed as loud as ever. I've been trying to use the system a lot in hopes there is a break-in period or something. It sucks that now Sony is using a broad brush to categorize any coil noise as "normal."

I managed to record some videos comparing my brother's PS5 (first video) to mine (2nd and 3rd videos). I know many are looking for video examples of a quiet PS5. I think this first video is a good example since I can't really hear my brother's system unless I put my ear up to it during gaming.

PS5 with minimal coil whine (my brother's console)

My PS5 during gaming (loud coil whine / buzzing)

My PS5 in PS home screen while game is running in the background (loud coil whine / buzzing)

Last edited:

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Here's me playing Demon's Souls. The video actually doesn't pick up the sound as much as my ears do. It's an audible buzz that changes pitch even just moving the camera.

I think this is the thing that some folks posting in here don't understand. Like you said, your video doesn't really pick it up like our ears do.

At this point I'm just going to wait a bit to see if it lessens before I go through with bullshitting my way into making them send me a new one in a few months.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Except it's not for many of us. Mine is quite loud and can be heard across the room even with low-medium-level game audio (where I have always kept my volume). In quieter games like Ghost of Tsushima it's hard to ignore the buzzing in the room. My brother's PS5 is indeed much quieter with a mosquito-like sound when you get close to the console even playing AC: Valhalla. Mine is a noticeable buzz that can be heard through the game audio from where I sit about 8 ft from my couch. I swore last night it actually was quieter during Fortnite but then I started playing AC and it seemed as loud as ever. I've ben trying to use the system a lot in hopes there is a break-in period or something. It sucks that now Sony is using a broad brush to categorize any coil noise as "normal."

I managed to record some videos comparing my brother's PS5 (first video) to mine (2nd and 3rd videos). I know many are looking for video examples of a quiet PS5. I think this first video is a good example since I can't hear my brother's system unless I put my ear up to it during gaming.

My PS5 in PS home screen while game is running in the background (loud coil whine / buzzing)

Yeah just tested mine and it sounds like the first video.

Also noticed the sound changes frequency when moving the camera to more "graphic intesive" areas e.g. looking at the floor vs looking at a fog door in Demon's Souls.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I already asked in the other thread but might as well ask here as well:

Are there people that have heard two consoles side by side with one silent and one buzzing/coil whining?

Because at this point I am not sure whether to believe it is a real lottery to get a quiet console, or whether the people claiming it is silent are just deaf from too many Rock Concerts... :)
I have a lightstrip in the same room that has awful coil whine, so I know what it is and I can tell you my ps5 doesn't have it. So yes, there seems to be a lottery going on and I was lucky for once.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I just saw this on twitter...could this be the cause for some people? A loose sticker in the fan?

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
Yeah just tested mine and it sounds like the first video.

Also noticed the sound changes frequency when moving the camera to more "graphic intesive" areas e.g. looking at the floor vs looking at a fog door in Demon's Souls.

Same here. I don't have DS yet but mine also does what you are describing in AC Valhalla, Fortnite and Ghosts of Tsushima when I move the camera around.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to have a little bit of it
Its annoying, nowhere near as loud as my PS4 fans but the pitch does seem to penetrate my ears more
Thankfully usually play with earphones in so won't notice much

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Holy shit those sounds would put me in rage mode. I am very sensitive to this type of sounds. Thank fucking god my ps5 does not do that....

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I just saw this on twitter...could this be the cause for some people? A loose sticker in the fan?

I wish he had posted a video after the fix.

The video he posted was the loudest I've come across online, and to me clearly faulty.

I'd be interested to hear what it sounds like now and if there's any buzz at all?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah after 30 min a i can say my stepbrother got 2 heavy coil whine console..... I need to take a tea...

Last edited:

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a video of mine while Demon's Souls is running. Towards the end you can hear the noise get louder as I put my phone near the PSU.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried Miles Morales in performance mode? The buzzing is ridiculous on mine, almost sounds like an old fridge we had. What are you going to do with yours?

I don't own Miles yet. The noise issue has kind of dampened my excitement to try new games. That's why it took me a week to play Demon's Souls. Of course it made my system even louder which made me feel even crappier. I don't know what to do because I feel like this requires a revision, and Sony will just send me back my untouched console.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I don't own Miles yet. The noise issue has kind of dampened my excitement to try new games. That's why it took me a week to play Demon's Souls. Of course it made my system even louder which made me feel even crappier. I don't know what to do because I feel like this requires a revision, and Sony will just send me back my untouched console.
Could buy a big ass HDMI Cord and place it in another room for now like I did. Not a fix at all but until they actually sort this out (lol) that's the best option.

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020

I'm in the same boat. I was ready to buy a bunch more games but I'm kind of at a pause now on that due to this. Just playing AC and Spiderman MM. I am leaning towards just returning the thing entirely to Best Buy and trying again next year when first-run learnings/improvements are possibly implemented. A part of me is (probably stupidly) considering keeping it because I love everything else about the system. However, I am very concerned that as time goes on, studios will push the consoles more to the limit as we get truly next-gen games and it will result in major coil whine noise.

Last edited:

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
How difficult is to get to the PSU in the console and put a few of those silicone grey blobs around various components?

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Any fix for this yet? Mine isn't bad but noticeable. I almost always wear headphones though so I certainly won't be returning it or anything.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
I have no reason to buy a PS5 until the next Horizon hits other than FOMO. Let's hope they change the PSU in the PS5 by then.

coolguy949

Nov 14, 2020
So is this something that you guys noticed from the beginning, or did it show up after a certain number of hours playing?

I didn't notice it until later in the day when I started actually playing games. It took a lot of the day to get everything set up and transferred (I did the PS4 transfer not knowing it was problematic). At first I thought "wow I thought this thing was supposed to be silent but the fan is pretty noisy" and then after a while I decided to search online to see if mine is defective and I found this thread and many Reddit posts.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike the last two Sony consoles, you have to actually take the thing mostly apart and then try not to get killed.
Yeah, I just rewatched that disassembly video. Doesn't seem trivial. I wonder if you actually have to remove the liquid metal compressing bracket, or if the circuit board can be removed with that bracket in place. Because that seems like the trickiest step otherwise.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Could buy a big ass HDMI Cord and place it in another room for now like I did. Not a fix at all but until they actually sort this out (lol) that's the best option.

I've thought about that, and about putting a hole in the wall to run the cords, but my wife won't have it. Lol. I said I wish I had square cutouts in the wall that I could put plastic inserts in. The back would be exposed into the adjacent room, which leads into a closet anyway. She respectfully declined my proposal.

I'm in the same boat. I am leaning towards just returning the thing entirely to Best Buy and trying again next year when first-run learnings/improvements are possibly implemented. A part of me is (probably stupidly) considering keeping it because I love everything else about the system. However, I am very concerned that as time goes on, studios will push the consoles more to the limit as we get truly next-gen games and it will result is major coil whine noise.

I adore this console, controller and the launch games. It's incredible. But this noise, it's messing it all up. I'd honestly pay $100 more for a guaranteed quiet model with premium components.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I enabled MSI after burner to quiet my 2080 and my PSU is sometimes emitting a high frequency wine which gets annoying enough.

My PS4 is also giving a high pitched whining noise from it's back when it's turned off but powerered.

This PS5 sound shown is way worse.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, mine just started with the coil whine too. It is not loud thankfully, but definitely audible. I thought that this being the biggest console ever made would've prevented any noise, but I guess the Microsoft engineers are just that much better. Really disappointing, Sony :/

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Xbox one x had a coil wine in its entire generation. Had the chance to test 7 brand new consoles through out the year ( buddy owned a game store ) anyway, and they all had a coil wine and it was more audible in specific parts of the game like for example halo 5 main menu.

The point of the story is unless Sony revise the ps5, you can wait as much as you want, you will still end up with a coil wine.
I am very ocd to this and fan noise. Both my ps5 coil wine is very low to the point I really have to mute the tv and put my ear close to the ps5 to hear it . unless people here having entirely different ps5 that is super loud even during game play and the tv is not muted and you are far it, then that's probably a defective unit

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Yeah I think I have this. Anyone can confirm that this is what you guys are calling coil whine?

I hear this also when the PS5 is in rest mode btw. It is in rest mode in this video.

I pressed the stand firmer against the PS5 and it helped somewhat, in this video you can hardly hear it:

But camera nonwithstanding I can still here it constantly. Well, when its quite in the room anyway.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Welp, mine just started with the coil whine too. It is not loud thankfully, but definitely audible. I thought that this being the biggest console ever made would've prevented any noise, but I guess the Microsoft engineers are just that much better. Really disappointing, Sony :/
Put your ear close to the fan on top, you will also hear a faint noise of coil wine . Not as much as ps5 , but it's there . You will hear it the most like I said in my previous post in halo 5 menu for example.
Mine thankfully doesn't. Or it's there but so low to the point I can't hear it at all.

coil wine if it's not super loud it's not a deal breaker and it doesn't shorten the console life span

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah I think I have this. Anyone can confirm that this is what you guys are calling coil whine?

I hear this also when the PS5 is in rest mode btw. It is in rest mode in this video.

I pressed the stand firmer against the PS5 and it helped somewhat, in this video you can hardly hear it:

But camera nonwithstanding I can still here it constantly. Well, when its quite in the room anyway.

From the first video no it's not a coil wine to me. More of the fan whirl ( check my post history to check the fan types on ps5) and one of the models make this whirl annoying sound

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
From the first video no it's not a coil wine to me. More of the fan whirl ( check my post history to check the fan types on ps5) and one of the models make this whirl annoying sound

Yeah, I think it's helpful to clarify... My PS5 has a somewhat loud fan AND coil whine when running games. It's possible other PS5's have neither, both, or one or the other. If the PS5 is vertical, put your ear up to the front/top of it. Noise you hear coming from there is the fan. Then put your ear to back/bottom. Humming/buzzing coming from there is coil whine.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
The buzzing sound is normal for the unit. It shouldn't be loud, but you can hear it cause the unit is so quiet in other regards.

I've seen several PS5s IRL and they all do it. It comes up when running a game and is more noticeable when under load. You can literally shift a camera in game from an open view to a wall and hear the pitch of the buzz change. I've tested this on a few units personally--it's repeatable on all of them. Checked it in the starting point in Demon's Souls.

I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with. They also mentioned the unit will be quieter vertically cause it comes more from the left side. Tested it, and it's accurate. However, I unfortunately can't leave the unit vertical.

It's just something people are going to have to get used to. It's a really strange sound, but it's nowhere near the volume of its predecessor.

except the coil whine will differ from unit to unit.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is this another fucking lottery like with the jet engine PS4 fan? God damn it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's one of those frequencies that us old farts can't hear. Because I can't gear a goddamn thing in all those videos, even cranking the volume to maximum. I wish my PS4 Pro were that quiet. I don't expect this will be a problem for me, even if my (eventual) system does do it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Mine might have minimal coil whine but it's only audible in a completely quiet room. I don't hear it at all when playing games and it's barely audible in a quite room, too since I've moved the PS5 behind my TV (don't worry, there's a ton of space).

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The buzzing sound is normal for the unit. It shouldn't be loud, but you can hear it cause the unit is so quiet in other regards.

I've seen several PS5s IRL and they all do it. It comes up when running a game and is more noticeable when under load. You can literally shift a camera in game from an open view to a wall and hear the pitch of the buzz change. I've tested this on a few units personally--it's repeatable on all of them. Checked it in the starting point in Demon's Souls.

I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with. They also mentioned the unit will be quieter vertically cause it comes more from the left side. Tested it, and it's accurate. However, I unfortunately can't leave the unit vertical.

It's just something people are going to have to get used to. It's a really strange sound, but it's nowhere near the volume of its predecessor.
I don't think it's acceptable to just say it's normal. It's only normal if you cheap out on components like pc manufacturers tried to do for years. It's one of those things that some people will just not hear about but for those who care you can't just go get a different ps5 like a gpu, it really needs to be sorted by Sony (if it hasn't already)

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
except the coil whine will differ from unit to unit.
It didn't between the units I tested literally back to back. There will be excessively loud units, and that's an issue, but a buzz is normal for the system.
It's funny they describe it this way because, for my money, "mosquito buzzing in your ear" is the most irritating sound imaginable
Yeah, it's a bizarre sound for sure that's bound to raise a lot of false positives.
Except it's not for many of us. Mine is quite loud and can be heard across the room even with low-medium-level game audio (where I have always kept my volume). In quieter games like Ghost of Tsushima it's hard to ignore the buzzing in the room. My brother's PS5 is indeed much quieter with a mosquito-like sound when you get close to the console even playing AC: Valhalla. Mine is a noticeable buzz that can be heard through the game audio from where I sit about 8 ft from my couch. I swore last night it actually was quieter during Fortnite but then I started playing AC and it seemed as loud as ever. I've been trying to use the system a lot in hopes there is a break-in period or something. It sucks that now Sony is using a broad brush to categorize any coil noise as "normal."

I managed to record some videos comparing my brother's PS5 (first video) to mine (2nd and 3rd videos). I know many are looking for video examples of a quiet PS5. I think this first video is a good example since I can't really hear my brother's system unless I put my ear up to it during gaming.

Buzzing for the unit and being able to hear it from a decent distance is normal. I'm only trying to let people know this is the case. A lot of people are under the impression that the unit should be dead silent, and if you hear the buzz, it's bad. That's incorrect.

In your example, you're using two units and there's a clear difference. So, you know there's something awry. You should reach out to support cause excessive loudness is a problem.

What I'm saying is the units will have a buzz--they are not dead silent.
This isn't true if the whine is severe like what we're talking about in here. Putting mine vertically and the acoustics make it way, way louder than when it's Horizontal.
It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you are experiencing. I'm just putting this out there so that people know a buzzing sound is normal--all units do it. Excessive loudness is an issue, but there's no way to know if that's what you're experiencing without comparing it to another unit. My unit is normal. Tested, and the buzzing still annoys me. You could be like me in this regard, or perhaps you have a really loud unit.

I'm putting this out there so people know a buzz is normal. It's not dead silent--even the good ones. So people know that hearing that sound doesn't automatically mean you have a faulty unit, which seems to be the impression a lot of people have with a lot of people claiming their unit is silent when they merely just aren't as sensitive to it.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, now I'm curious.

What's the LOUDEST of these videos or recordings, that shows the problem most obviously? I want to run it through Audition and get a spectrogram.

ShaqtinFools

Nov 17, 2020
Actually, now I'm curious.

What's the LOUDEST of these videos or recordings, that shows the problem most obviously? I want to run it through Audition and get a spectrogram.

I will try to record mine with a better microphone than a iPhone but I think it's pretty loud. It kind of sounds like my decade old PS3 slim when it gets going

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's acceptable to just say it's normal. It's only normal if you cheap out on components like pc manufacturers tried to do for years. It's one of those things that some people will just not hear about but for those who care you can't just go get a different ps5 like a gpu, it really needs to be sorted by Sony (if it hasn't already)

I totally agree. There is no way Sony's QC didn't notice this. They just let it pass. I am disappointed and I find it annoying, but for nor it will do. Under normal circumstances I would return it to Amazon as defective, but I don't want to be without it for 3+ months while supply gets better, with no guarantee that the replacement will not have the same issue as well.