• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I got 2 and both sound exactly the same. You can see a video I posted a few posts up. Went to a neighbor friend and his sounds exactly the same as well. I only hear these sounds when I put my ears right next to it. Maybe people are talking about different sounds. Don't know.

My friend say he don't hear anything.... but i'm pretty sure he got it too. I retry this morning with complete silence in the house... this is way more irritating then i was expecting. I'm calling sony today no way i keep this... Someone can post a Ps5 that is quiet when playing AC or demon's souls please ?

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
My friend say he don't hear anything.... but i'm pretty sure he got it too. I retry this morning with complete silence in the house... this is way more irritating then i was expecting. I'm calling sony today no way i keep this... Someone can post a Ps5 that is quiet when playing AC or demon's souls please ?
The sounds from my video only occur when a game is running btw. If the PS5 is just in the menu I don't hear anything at all, even when I put my ears so close to it that they touch it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The sounds from my video only occur when a game is running btw. If the PS5 is just in the menu I don't hear anything at all, even when I put my ears so close to it that they touch it.

Same, menu in-game/loading it's total silence... I have a second Ps5 that arrive today, i was suppose to sell it to my stepbrother, but if it got the same problem i'm not really happy about selling him...

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing more and more news articles and YouTube videos on this issue. It could have the potential to be embarrassing for Sony since the Series X is dead silent and people will undoubtedly make comparisons.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing more and more news articles and YouTube videos on this issue. It could have the potential to be embarrassing for Sony since the Series X is dead silent and people will undoubtedly make comparisons.
Do we know what Sony did differently to MS? Did they cheap out on a component somewhere?

Thankfully my PS5 isn't too bad noise wise, but my Series X has been silent.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Yeah, if this gets more coverage maybe Sony will address it sooner. Obviously, the PS5 isn't designed to have this widespread of a coil whine issue, so hopefully more media outlets can cover it and put pressure on Sony.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if this gets more coverage maybe Sony will address it sooner. Obviously, the PS5 isn't designed to have this widespread of a coil whine issue, so hopefully more media outlets can cover it and put pressure on Sony.

That's exactly why I made this thread, but it's tough. A lot of people either don't have it or don't notice it. I have no business saying anyone is being untrue by saying theirs it quiet, but I will say that any time I've played the supposed lottery, it's never resulted in me getting one of those unicorn units. So rather than have myself be disappointed over and over again doing exchanges, I'd prefer to try and get Sony to acknowledge it this time and offer a fix. It's an uphill battle, so anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Contact media outlets on Twitter? Facebook?
Complain to Sony?

I'm open to anything, but we'll need to work together.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
It's an uphill battle, so anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

Contact media outlets on Twitter? Facebook?
Complain to Sony?

I'm open to anything, but we'll need to work together.

There's a lot of gaming outlets that frequent Resetera so more of them covering the issue might help. Maybe a lot of people contacting Sony would work? I just want a fix or at least an acknowledgment sooner rather than later, and I'm sure most of us feel the same way.

Ninetiesboy

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was making a noise but has now completely stopped. Originally, I had the console vertical, with the back aiming towards the wall. Now, the console is still vertical but the back of the console aims away from wall with zero airflow restriction. It is now silent.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Mine was making a noise but has now completely stopped. Originally, I had the console vertical, with the back aiming towards the wall. Now, the console is still vertical but the back of the console aims away from wall with zero airflow restriction. It is now silent.

Doesn't sound like you had coil whine, probably was just a lack of airflow for the fan.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I have no business saying anyone is being untrue by saying theirs it quiet, but I will say that any time I've played the supposed lottery, it's never resulted in me getting one of those unicorn units.

I've actually not come across a single video showing there's no buzzing at all when playing a game.

It would take someone 30 seconds to take a video of their silent unit.

I'm convinced they all emit a similar buzz, with some units likely far worse than others. But the issue is noise is always subjective.

For me personally if the noise is loud enough that you can hear it over tv volume (like some state) I'd say that's a faulty unit. If you need to mute the tv, and go within a metre of the console it's likely normal.

Last edited:

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
So uh it's normal for the PS5 to sound like a jet when installing a game using a blu ray disc right?

FF7R in my case, which comes in 2 blu-rays, I put the install disc and it's taking a bit to copy everything, but damn the thing is loud, atleast when installing.

I'm trying out everything to make sure my PS5 is in good shape (apart from the coil whine I have)

No crashes or freezes or anything so far, played 2 hours of astro bot and 5 hours of Demon's Souls, back of the console does get a bit hot when gaming though, i'm assuming that's normal?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
So uh it's normal for the PS5 to sound like a jet when installing a game using a blu ray disc right?

FF7R in my case, which comes in 2 blu-rays, I put the install disc and it's taking a bit to copy everything, but damn the thing is loud, atleast when installing.

I'm trying out everything to make sure my PS5 is in good shape (apart from the coil whine I have)

No crashes or freezes or anything so far, played 2 hours of astro bot and 5 hours of Demon's Souls, back of the console does get a bit hot when gaming though, i'm assuming that's normal?
My console sounds (heh) the same as yours. Loud disc reads but quiet once the disc is primed. No freezes or crashes or error codes here either. I am about 20 hours in Miles, which is the extent of my PS5 consumption. I feel alright about it? If I was getting freezes/crashes, I would be concerned.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
My console sounds (heh) the same as yours. Loud disc reads but quiet once the disc is primed. No freezes or crashes or error codes here either. I am about 20 hours in Miles, which is the extent of my PS5 consumption. I feel alright about it? If I was getting freezes/crashes, I would be concerned.

Same here just I think Install is making the ps5 work.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
The problem with the coil whine on my system is how the pitch goes up and down every second or two, even when sitting on a map screen or something without even changing scenes or moving the camera. My ears are sensitive to this.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017

It's because of how fast the disc is spinning. If itms still loud after install/playing the game, then there might be annissue.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Here a update, i call sony, they made me make a system reset and he listen to the noise on the phone, still there, i have to call them back will go at repair center for 3 weeks, nice.....

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
this is actually hilarious ..

sounds bad...

look at his update..

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
A lot of coil whining in this thread.

a3d0aef046ed641f83c39a873f37b248.gif

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
this actually sounds like something was hitting the fan from getgo tbh, quite different than what other people post

yeah i have no sound from the fan, it toally behind the console on the lower part

That sucks- they aren't offering replacements?

No, i can understand they don't have a ton in hand, but yeah if it came back total silence i would be happy :).

The problem with the coil whine on my system is how the pitch goes up and down every second or two, even when sitting on a map screen or something without even changing scenes or moving the camera. My ears are sensitive to this.

Yeah each day that pass the more i heard it... i got a repair ticket so let's see if they will really correct it

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was silent yesterday but I can definitely hear some coil whine today.

But it's not bothering me so I'm fine.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I don't see any mainstream coverage at all. Just random fringe websites that are using this thread, Reddit, and some YouTube videos as "so many people are reporting it".

Nothing really ever happened with ps4 jet engines over the lifetime of the console so I don't think anything will happen here beyond Sony saying contact support and go through with a rma if you believe it's defective (if they comment at all). Maybe at best minor revisions like other consoles in the past.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any mainstream coverage at all. Just random fringe websites that are using this thread, Reddit, and some YouTube videos as "so many people are reporting it".

Nothing really ever happened with ps4 jet engines over the lifetime of the console so I don't think anything will happen here beyond Sony saying contact support and go through with a rma if you believe it's defective (if they comment at all). Maybe at best minor revisions like other consoles in the past.

That's why we need to reach out to media outlets and see if we can get it covered. Maybe one person tweeting a few outlets with a link to this thread, and we all like and retweet it. Idk, maybe I'm being silly, but it seems better than us feeling sorry for ourselves.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The fan pops out pretty easily, doesn't it? Just take the side panels off and it's right there?
Yeah, pop the panel, and the fan has four screws with a TS8 head. (careful they have different lengths)

The connector is under a sticker that is relatively easy to remove. Also there's some attention necessary not to pinch the cable when replacing the fan grill, it has a little molded channel for it.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The buzzing sound is normal for the unit. It shouldn't be loud, but you can hear it cause the unit is so quiet in other regards.

I've seen several PS5s IRL and they all do it. It comes up when running a game and is more noticeable when under load. You can literally shift a camera in game from an open view to a wall and hear the pitch of the buzz change. I've tested this on a few units personally--it's repeatable on all of them. Checked it in the starting point in Demon's Souls.

I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with. They also mentioned the unit will be quieter vertically cause it comes more from the left side. Tested it, and it's accurate. However, I unfortunately can't leave the unit vertical.

It's just something people are going to have to get used to. It's a really strange sound, but it's nowhere near the volume of its predecessor.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The buzzing sound is normal for the unit. It shouldn't be loud, but you can hear it cause the unit is so quiet in other regards.

I've seen several PS5s IRL and they all do it. It comes up when running a game and is more noticeable when under load. You can literally shift a camera in game from an open view to a wall and hear the pitch of the buzz change. I've tested this on a few units personally--it's repeatable on all of them. Checked it in the starting point in Demon's Souls.

I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with.

That last line is what bothers me. It's an annoyingly loud sound that can be heard through the game volume and changes dynamically with the on screen action. It's something to be concerned with because it ruins my gaming experience.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like my sound is coming from the fan area (although not as bad as the guy in the video) and doesn't change based on what's going on in the game, so I may check to see if I have the label problem tonight.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I just booted up demon's souls and realized I can hear my ps5 buzzing from under my headphones 7 feet away. Good damn it Sony.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
For those of you laying your PS5 horizontally make sure you have the system properly connected / laying with the stand. It seems like if it isn't angled quite right you may get some extra noise from the system vibrating against the stand.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Second Update, my friend got his PS5 a moment ago, he came home to see if everything is fine anddddddddd

nop he got Coil whine too.... this is sad both our model are CFI-1015A....

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Potential PS5 coil whine

Slight coil whine on my PS5, don't bother me while playing games.

Here's mine.
I have another sealed ps5, but I think I'm fine. it's not as bad as the Xbox one x coil whine I had. I really have to go near the ps5 to hear the high pitched sound. Otherwise, it's your typical fan noise.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I spoke with a Sony rep, and they described it as a buzz similar to a mosquito--it's normal and nothing to be concerned with. They also mentioned the unit will be quieter vertically cause it comes more from the left side. Tested it, and it's accurate. However, I unfortunately can't leave the unit vertical.
This isn't true if the whine is severe like what we're talking about in here. Putting mine vertically and the acoustics make it way, way louder than when it's Horizontal.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
For those of you laying your PS5 horizontally make sure you have the system properly connected / laying with the stand. It seems like if it isn't angled quite right you may get some extra noise from the system vibrating against the stand.
I noticed this and had to tighten the screw. I also always put my consoles on a sound/vibration dampening mat as I've found this makes the biggest difference in tv cabinets.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
That sucks- they aren't offering replacements?

I´ve read somewhere in the last days that they are explicitly advised to NOT exchange the system for a completely new one, either you get a "factory approved" (some kind of refurbished?) model or they will try to repair your PS5.

it seems that they even go by the rule that stuff like coil whine is not under warranty and in some cases they will send back the console without doing anything if they think it is within acceptable limits, sort like dead pixels.

don´t know how true this is though, was from someone who talked to the customer service in length.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I second this. The stand fits poorly and can disconnect itself when you move the console.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Just got my PS5 (disc edition) today, and my mom invited herself over to watch a movie as I was setting it up. Ironically, we watched A Quiet Place 4K Bluray, and sure enough, I could hear what they say is coil whine.

It went away after a few minutes, and I haven't heard it since. This is after playing Astrobot and Spiderman MM for a good while, and watching John Wick on Blu ray.

It wasn't horribad, just noticeable especially when I didn't expect to hear a peep. I love the console otherwise and hope this gets addressed.
OK, it's been almost a week since I experienced the issue above. Since then? Not a peep out of the system (horizontal, if it matters).

I've played several 4K movies (disc), played a bunch of gaming hours (PS4 and PS5 titles) and edited a number of video clips on the system and have heard another occurrence at all. Hopefully this continues for me since the PS5 has been absolutely awesome to this point (I still hate the replacement U.I. though).